PDA

View Full Version : Smorgon has resigned?

Dry Rot
16-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Have been just reading breaking reports on this. Could be crap.

Anyone know what is happening?

Eastdog
16-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Have been just reading breaking reports on this. Could be crap.

Anyone know what is happening?

Where did you hear that Dry Rot.

Dry Rot
16-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Where did you hear that Dry Rot.

https://twitter.com/TonySheahan

GVGjr
16-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Nothing mentioned at the night I attended and Simon Garlick did a nice 10 minute presentation.

Eastdog
16-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure what to make of it but will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Eastdog
16-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Nothing mentioned at the night I attended and Simon Garlick did a nice 10 minute presentation.

Where was this held?

GVGjr
16-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Where was this held?

At the club right in the ELC. Coterie night at the club

Dry Rot
16-10-2012, 10:21 PM

I saw this on BF and Twitter, neither are particularly credible, hence the question mark.

Eastdog
16-10-2012, 10:23 PM
At the club right in the ELC. Coterie night at the club

Ok. Was Smorgon in attendance and if there what did he have to say.

GVGjr
16-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Ok. Was Smorgon in attendance and if there what did he have to say.

Not there and nothing mentioned.

1eyedog
16-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Dimma dusted the cobwebs of the wallet?

G-Mo77
16-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Announcement tomorrow was the tweet. Still we were set to make an announcement on Dawes becoming a Bulldog on more than one occasion.

Dry Rot
16-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Announcement tomorrow was the tweet. Still we were set to make an announcement on Dawes becoming a Bulldog on more than one occasion.

Fair enough, could be crap.

Doc26
16-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Fair enough, could be crap.

Is now posted up on the HUN by Mick Warner.

Throughandthrough
16-10-2012, 10:53 PM
The Hun has just published as fact. I did my lid to Mr Smorgon. Absolutely wonderfull for our club ov many many years. Here's hoping his obvious passion for our club isn't diminished at all.

G-Mo77
16-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Yep not crap at all.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-shake-up-as-long-serving-president-david-smorgon-hands-over-power/story-fndv7pj3-1226497332600

Eastdog
16-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Yep not crap at all.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-shake-up-as-long-serving-president-david-smorgon-hands-over-power/story-fndv7pj3-1226497332600

Looks like Peter Gordon our former President before David Smorgon came in will be president again. Susan Alberti to be named vice president.

jazzadogs
16-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks to David Smorgon for all he has done for the Dogs over the past 17 years. All I've ever known is Smorgon as president, and I've always felt confident having him lead the club.

Best of luck to Peter Gordon.

SonofScray
16-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Exciting times. I feel the timing is right and we might have been better served if someone was keen to put their hand up two years ago when David seemed to lose a bit of interest.

That being said, thanks Smorgo for your exemplary leadership during rough times and your hard work helping forge a base which has seen us endure.

azabob
16-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Back to the future. Is this really the right move?

GVGjr
16-10-2012, 11:36 PM

Any reasons why you don't think so?

Gordon has the passion and now the time to devote to the club. We need someone who can attract sponsors so lets hope Gordon can rally the troops.

azabob
16-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Any reasons why you don't think so?

Gordon has the passion and now the time to devote to the club. We need someone who can attract sponsors so lets hope Gordon can rally the troops.

No reason, Im surprised he has come back to the fold. In 1996 did he not have the time that needed to be devoted?

Eastdog
16-10-2012, 11:40 PM

It still hasn't been confirmed that Peter Gordon will take over so I can't officially say his president yet but most likely tomorrow it will be announced that he will be our new president.

GVGjr
16-10-2012, 11:41 PM
No reason, Im surprised he has come back to the fold. In 1996 did he not have the time that needed to be devoted?

He didn't have the time and had played the emotional "us versus them" line for at least a year too long. There is some very good people at the club now and Gordons job will be very different to the one he left all those years ago.

Eastdog
16-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Best of luck to Peter Gordon.

azabob
16-10-2012, 11:45 PM
He didn't have the time and had played the emotional "us versus them" line for at least a year too long. There is some very good people at the club now and Gordons job will be very different to the one he left all those years ago.

Thanks.

Good luck to Peter.

LostDoggy
16-10-2012, 11:50 PM
David Smorgon has been a wonderful President and presided over a very successful era at the club .... even though we were unable to win a premiership. He now hands the baton back to Peter Gordon who is an astute businessman and passionate supporter. All the best to both men in their respective journey's.

bornadog
16-10-2012, 11:52 PM
While Peter was president Slater and Gordon (no relation were still trying to re-establish themselves after almost going under late in the 1980's (like the club), except Peter wasn't the one rescuing the firm. During the 90's Pter was fighting some pretty big cases and couldn't put in the time he would have liked to at the club. It also killed his marriage.

Since then Slaters has been listed on the stock exchange and Peter left the firm and now runs his own small firm. Financially he has done well and doesn't need to put as much time into his new business as he did in the past. He re married and lives in the eastern suburbs.

Whether he is the right person to come back in, I am not sure.

Topdog
16-10-2012, 11:56 PM
thanks for the info bad, i didnt know any of that

SonofScray
17-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Gordan also is involved in financing and promoting theatre productions isn't he? Thats why we had Rock of Ages type stuff a while ago.

Don't quote me, but that does ring a bell. I am pleased to see him put is hand up and allow Smorgo to step aside confidently. The above point makes me nervous, purely as a Red Sox fan as well though.

always right
17-10-2012, 09:20 AM
In his first gig as president Peter Gordon was known for his stoushes with the VFL/AFL. There appear to be many on this board who believe the club rolls over too easily nowadays on various issues due to the funding it receives from the AFL. These people should be encouraged by Gordon's appointment.

Having said that I think Peter Gordon acknowledges nowadays that the governing body is a very different one to the commission he fought with when the club was fighting for its existence. He's a smart operator and we should all get behind him.

A huge thank you to David Smorgon. What an amazing commitment over so many years. Whether you agree with everything he has done is irrelevant. No-one could deny his passion for the club and the professionalism he brought to it.

Desipura
17-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Please people, first it was Smorgan that was spelt incorrectly and now we have already started with Gordan.

ReLoad
17-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks to David Smorgon for everything he has done for our club, off field our club has never looked as positive or as well resourced as what it does now, for no other reason than David driving change and getting the right team on board, Between David Smorgon and Campbell Rose, I don't think the club has had any finer administrators.

Lets hope that after turning a new page, that Peter and his team can also drive such big changes and keep us ahead of the game, staying stagnant and status quo just wont cut the cheese anymore.

ledge
17-10-2012, 10:31 AM
One of the positives is Peter has done it before and knows what's required, David would not have stepped down if he didn't think Peter couldn't do it.
No doubt David, the board and Peter had discussions about going forward and what was needed.

ledge
17-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Must say will be interesting to see if Peter takes a front foot with the media or stays in the background .

G-Mo77
17-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Who knows where we would be if it wasn't for Smorgon. He's done a great job for the club and wish him all the best for the future.

LostDoggy
17-10-2012, 11:22 AM
An outstanding man who is the reason the club is still here today. Represented the club in a thoroughly professional manner and gathered good people around him.

bulldogsman
17-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks David for turning around the club. All the best for the future and good luck to Peter.

F'scary
17-10-2012, 01:19 PM
President: Peter Gordon

No. 1 Ticket Holder: Julia Gillard PM.

This is going to be interesting.

See front page of the Age today if you do not understand.

Bulldog4life
17-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I was there early in David's reign at Whitten Oval when he announced the changing of the name of the Club to the Western Bulldogs. We have progressed so far since then with Smorgo at the helm.A great Bulldog.

BulldogBelle
17-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Wasn't Smorgon up for relelection at the end of 2013? How does this change now affect that?

Daughter of the West
17-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you David for all that you have done for our club. Thank you for your passion and commitment and tenancity over your tenure as president.

I think Ghost Dog summed it up nicely a little while ago:

Smorgo eats red, white and blue fruit loops for breakfast, in his Brad Johnson, 300 game Memorial boxer shorts.

:D

And best of luck Peter!

LostDoggy
17-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Re-watched the "Year of the Dogs" DVD not long ago which refreshed my memory of Peter Gordon.

I think he will move our club further forward.

LostDoggy
17-10-2012, 01:50 PM
David Smorgon and Campbell Rose and possibly Rodney Eade have been the best things to happen to this Club in my lifetime. Massive thank you to David Smorgon who more or less saved the club that I love. I have faith that Peter Gordon will take the club further forward and maybe contribute some fresh ideas and connections in the business community. I think he'll promote the club actively (particularly through this next rebuild phase). Would love to see a change of logo to really freshen the image.

bornadog
17-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Wasn't Smorgon up for relelection at the end of 2013? How does this change now affect that?

He is resigning a year early.

Eastdog
17-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I started supporting the Bulldogs from 2001 what exactly were the circumstances behind Peter Gordon leaving the first time. Was it because of the financial position our club was in at the time. I'm aware that he was very important in 1989 saving the club.

bornadog
17-10-2012, 06:11 PM
I started supporting the Bulldogs from 2001 what exactly were the circumstances behind Peter Gordon leaving the first time. Was it because of the financial position our club was in at the time. I'm aware that he was very important in 1989 saving the club.

We were in huge debt again and Peter couldn't take the club forward and attract corporate sponsors etc.

Personally I think we should have found some one else to take over from Smorgon. Nothing against Peter, and I have known him personally in the past, but I think a fresh board with brand new ideas would be better for the club.

I hope he is successful as we don't want to go backwards.

always right
17-10-2012, 06:13 PM

He was burnt out after an extended period of fighting the AFL and the growing debt within the club. It was a friendly takeover by the new group headed up by Smorgan

Eastdog
17-10-2012, 06:16 PM
We were in huge debt again and Peter couldn't take the club forward and attract corporate sponsors etc.

Personally I think we should have found some one else to take over from Smorgon. Nothing against Peter, and I have known him personally in the past, but I think a fresh board with brand new ideas would be better for the club.

I hope he is successful as we don't want to go backwards.

I hope he does well too because we don't want to go in a negative direction after David Smorgon's great work in putting us in a positive direction. Do you reckon BAD that this could all be part of a plan to eventually hand the job over to Chris Grant or someone else they have in mind.

Remi Moses
17-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Peter Gordon's a pretty savvy person, so I'd doubt the club will go backwards.
Different environment in Peter's first term with the AFL having a rationalization agenda.

AndrewP6
17-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Please people, first it was Smorgan that was spelt incorrectly and now we have already started with Gordan.

Agreed, if we really want to show our appreciation for what he's done, lets get his name right. It's not that hard.

bornadog
17-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I hope he does well too because we don't want to go in a negative direction after David Smorgon's great work in putting us in a positive direction. Do you reckon BAD that this could all be part of a plan to eventually hand the job over to Chris Grant or someone else they have in mind.

I don't believe so. Chris doesn't have the time to put in to the club with his business ventures. I heard a rumour he was quitting from the board beacuse of this, but I can't substantiate it.