PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs shake-up as long-serving president David Smorgon hands over power

LostDoggy
16-10-2012, 10:52 PM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-shake-up-as-long-serving-president-david-smorgon-hands-over-power/story-fndv7pj3-1226497332600

THE 17-year reign of Western Bulldogs president David Smorgon is over.

In a shock move, Smorgon, 65, has tonight agreed to hand power to former club president Peter Gordon for the 2013 season.

Smorgon took over the top job at Whitten Oval in 1996 - from anti-merger hero Gordon.

Smorgon was expected to serve one more year in the top job, but was swayed by a succession report tabled at a lengthy Bulldogs board meeting today.

The shake-up, to be confirmed by the club tomorrow, will see wealthy Dogs director Susan Alberti named as vice-president.

Smorgon will stand down from the board at the club's annual general meeting on December 20.

Bulldogs members will then be asked to vote Gordon on to the board, which would confirm his presidency.

A Bulldogs board committee, headed by outgoing Dogs director Ian Veal, has spent several months exploring succession options for the popular Smorgon.

The committee recently settled on the pairing of Gordon and Alberti, a recommendation approved at today's board meeting.

The quality of the candidates was enough to convince Smorgon that the time was right to step aside.

Gordon, a successful lawyer, became Bulldogs president in 1989 after leading the fight against a merger with Fitzroy.

His board stood aside for the Smorgon administration in 1996.

Smorgon is the second-longest serving president in the AFL behind Sydney Swans chairman Richard Colless.

Agitator and former player Paul Dimattina is not a part of the changes.

If Dimattina was determined to join the board, as he has repeatedly signalled, he could try to force an election.

GVGjr
16-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Well we have done the full circle. Hopefully Peter Gordon can get the club moving forward at a faster rate.

Eastdog
16-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Thank you David Smorgon for everything you have done for the club in your time.

SlimPickens
16-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I will always admire the job David has done for our football club. The time is right for him to move on but it can be never understated what he has achieved.

Well done David and thank you.

ratsmac
16-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks David for all your hard work over the years. Good luck with all your future endeavours. Its was an enjoyable ride (at times)

BulldogBelle
16-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Top effort by David Smorgon throughout all the years he was our President. I wish him well in all future endeavours.

Throughandthrough
16-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Thank you David Smorgon for everything you have done for the club in your time.

Hear hear

And, of course, a young Julia gillard used to work at slater and Gordon

immortalmike
16-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Thank you David for all you've done for the club.

Hopefully Gordon's second stint as president is better than the ending of his first. The good news is he won't have a hostile AFL trying to kill us off and a pretty good CEO in Garlick.

bornadog
16-10-2012, 11:59 PM
David has done a remarkable job for the club since taking over at the end of 1996 and has made some incredible achievements.

Hopefully the next President can take us up another notch.

ledge
17-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Hardly a shock move seems to
Have been planned and executed very well

jeemak
17-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks to David Smorgon for all of his efforts. He was passionate and he changed the direction of this club for the better.

Good luck to Gordon and Alberti, hopefully they can take the club to a new level.

Remi Moses
17-10-2012, 02:44 AM
David Smorgon has done a terrific job and all the best for the future.

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2012, 08:09 AM
I have nothing but respect and admiration for the job that Smorgon has done.

I look forward to him joining the Bulldog Hall of Fame - and no, I've not checked the eligibility criteria

chef
17-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks for saving our club Smorgo.

Desipura
17-10-2012, 09:23 AM
I would not be surprised if the Peter Gordon appointment is only a 12 month one until Susan Alberti gets her health back.

KT31
17-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I would not be surprised if the Peter Gordon appointment is only a 12 month one until Susan Alberti gets her health back.

I'm sure Susan will be President at some stage, but IMO Peter will stay for at least a three year term.
If what you suggest is the case I imagine Smorgo would have kept the Presidency for one more year tehn passed it to Susan.
Gordon is not a man who half commits to things and the Presidency is not a position to take on for a year and then pass on.

LostDoggy
17-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for saving our club Smorgo.

My sentiments exactly. Sent him an email saying exactly that.

Evel
17-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks David for all your efforts in a job that demands so much.

I must say I'm curious about Peter Gordon's appointment. I wonder what other candidates (if any) put themselves forward. I know there was a process in place to choose the best candidate for succession, but at the moment I'm unsure how I feel about going back to Peter. This is not to undervalue what he's done in the past, merely just wondering if he was the safe option. I guess we'll wait to hear more from him and the vision he has for the future.

bornadog
17-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks David for all your efforts in a job that demands so much.

I must say I'm curious about Peter Gordon's appointment. I wonder what other candidates (if any) put themselves forward. I know there was a process in place to choose the best candidate for succession, but at the moment I'm unsure how I feel about going back to Peter. This is not to undervalue what he's done in the past, merely just wondering if he was the safe option. I guess we'll wait to hear more from him and the vision he has for the future.

Anyone can challenge for the role, and the voting needs to take place at the AGM.

So in theory, Peter is not yet ratified by the members and isnot therefore the President until then.

LostDoggy
17-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Anyone can challenge for the role, and the voting needs to take place at the AGM.

So in theory, Peter is not yet ratified by the members and isnot therefore the President until then.

That's good to know as it looked like a fait acompli. Not that I think anyone is likely to challenge but its good to know the members get a voice here.

bornadog
17-10-2012, 05:19 PM
That's good to know as it looked like a fait acompli. Not that I think anyone is likely to challenge but its good to know the members get a voice here.

If there are no challenges then I am afraid it is a fait acompli.

LostDoggy
17-10-2012, 06:15 PM
My sentiments exactly. Sent him an email saying exactly that.
BornAScragger are you able to PM me Davids email address I would like to send him a personal email as well. He definetly saved our club as Peter Gordon did years earlier and agaun when he let Smorgo takeover. I have full confidence in Peter as I have with David.

w3design
17-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Thank you David, you have been a wonderful president.
I am happy to have Peter both back in the fold, and back at the helm, as I believe we need both fresh impetus going forward, and are entering a time where we are going to need a leader who is a bit of a get down and get dirty, take no prisoners street fighter, rather than a diplomat.
The entire structure of the League needs a major overhaul going forward in my opinion, and that is going to mean trench warfare. The haves will eat the minnows alive if the system is not significantly altered.
If the smaller less financial clubs are to survive, I believe they are really going to have to fight for their position within the structure, and for much greater equality. Otherwise we will finish up with an EPL type situation where championships/premierships are strictly the domain of a handful of wealthy clubs, and the rest, if they survive at all, are only there to make up the numbers.

LostDoggy
18-10-2012, 09:34 AM
BornAScragger are you able to PM me Davids email address I would like to send him a personal email as well. He definetly saved our club as Peter Gordon did years earlier and agaun when he let Smorgo takeover. I have full confidence in Peter as I have with David.

I just sent it to godogs@westernbulldogs.com.au and asked for it to be forwarded on.

I don't know if it was or not, I got back a canned reply from a Jo Parr:

Dear Ryan & Family

I would like to thank you for your kind words.

Being heavily involved in the Red, White and Blue has been a central part of my life for many years and whilst it is sad to depart, I do so with confidence that my beloved Bulldogs have never been better placed to seize opportunities and tackle any challenges that lay ahead.

I have always said from day one that I want to look myself in the mirror whenever my time was up and say I gave it my all and I believe I’ve done that in the best interest of the footy club.

I am delighted that the Board has endorsed Peter Gordon as the preferred candidate to succeed me as President and strongly believe he is a man whose got the track record, the credentials, the passion and the love for this Club to do a great job.

My family and I look forward to sitting alongside our devoted members to watch and support our Bulldogs next season and beyond.

I assure you I will be loud and vocal and as one eyed as I always have been.

Kind regards

David

David Smorgon OAM
President