PDA

View Full Version : Rule change not great for Will Minson

gohardorgohome
18-10-2012, 04:36 PM
I've been giving some thought to the new rule change which prohibits ruck men from contact with their opponents prior to the ball leaving the umpires hand. Gut feel it will not be great for 199cm Will Minson.

Will used his strength well this year. Pity he won't be able to do this next season.

It seems the Afl want tall or leaping ruckmrn. We might need to re recruit Peter Street.;)

bornadog
18-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Isn't the rule, no contact is made, up until when the ball leaves the boundary umpires hands. I presume they can then use body on body while the ball is still in the air?

always right
18-10-2012, 04:53 PM
I've been giving some thought to the new rule change which prohibits ruck men from contact with their opponents prior to the ball leaving the umpires hand. Gut feel it will not be great for 199cm Will Minson.

Will used his strength well this year. Pity he won't be able to do this next season.

It seems the Afl want tall or leaping ruckmrn. We might need to re recruit Peter Street.;)

Shouldn't really make a difference to Will. All the rule does is prevent ruckmen from wrestling before the umpire releases the ball. Body positioning will still be important and Will's strength will still be a factor once the ruckmen engage.

Bulldog Joe
18-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Shouldn't really make a difference to Will. All the rule does is prevent ruckmen from wrestling before the umpire releases the ball. Body positioning will still be important and Will's strength will still be a factor once the ruckmen engage.

Spot on.

Might even help Will as the later contact might stop the scraggers who hang on to negate his strength.

mjp
18-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Spot on.

Might even help Will as the later contact might stop the scraggers who hang on to negate his strength.

Throwing the ball up will make more difference...a couple of less seconds to set up should lead to less congestion.

Raw Toast
18-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Throwing the ball up will make more difference...a couple of less seconds to set up should lead to less congestion.

So good for tap ruckman, but only if they are able to get to the ruck contest!

SonofScray
18-10-2012, 09:32 PM
I reckon it might benefit Will. He will be able to exert greater force when he makes contact in the contest because he won't have to engage in the wrestling and scragging prior to the ball coming into play.

You're allowed to bump within 5 metres of the ball. Perhaps ruckmen will use a extra time to get a good nudge in or lay a decent hit as they work to position.

F'scary
18-10-2012, 09:47 PM
So good for tap ruckman, but only if they are able to get to the ruck contest!

If they are seeking to minimise the time lost for the stoppage by having the umpires perform a quick throw up, the result will be mid-fielders rucking. The ruck will have to play a kick behind the game or...

the ruck position will morph into yet another run & carry mid field role.

Just what the game needs.:mad:

Raw Toast
19-10-2012, 12:19 AM
If they are seeking to minimise the time lost for the stoppage by having the umpires perform a quick throw up, the result will be mid-fielders rucking. The ruck will have to play a kick behind the game or...

the ruck position will morph into yet another run & carry mid field role.

Just what the game needs.:mad:

Agreed that if this scenario plays out it's going to make the game more boring. But while I hate the tinkering, I'm happy to wait and see before judging.

It's not going to happen, but I imagine that one of the aims of this added to the interchange cap they'll likely bring in 2014 will be to bring back more clearly defined positions...

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Does the new rule favour someone like Skinner? Would need to improve tank to get to contests though

choconmientay
19-10-2012, 09:05 AM
The question was asked at the TopDog & Player Sponsors night (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11203) and BMac dis say that big Will have to change his style a bit to adapt the new rule and said that he will.

He also said that this rule will suit Tom Campbell ..." to a T". He seemed to rate Tom Campbell really highly and did say that Ruck it a hard and difficult position to introduce young players into it so we have to managed them slowly and carefully.

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 09:25 AM
The question was asked at the TopDog & Player Sponsors night (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11203) and BMac dis say that big Will have to change his style a bit to adapt the new rule and said that he will.

He also said that this rule will suit Tom Campbell ..." to a T". He seemed to rate Tom Campbell really highly and did say that Ruck it a hard and difficult position to introduce young players into it so we have to managed them slowly and carefully.

I'd bank on Minson adapting to the new rule before Campbell or Skinner get a tank to be able to ruck contests continually.
This fascination with Campbell worries me more than anything, he might make it one day but short term it probably means he'll continue to play across the forward line adding to the lack of speed and agility we already have there.

choconmientay
19-10-2012, 10:01 AM
I'd bank on Minson adapting to the new rule before Campbell or Skinner get a tank to be able to ruck contests continually.

I think you are bang right on that.

This fascination with Campbell worries me more than anything, he might make it one day but short term it probably means he'll continue to play across the forward line adding to the lack of speed and agility we already have there.

No need to worry. BMac did say he won't rush Campbell into this ruck position anytime soon as we do not want them to be destroyed by big, mature body.