PDA

View Full Version : Cash Gordon - New Dogs boss Peter Gordon says money key to main game

bornadog
19-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/cash-gordon-new-dogs-boss-says-money-key-to-main-game/story-e6frf9jf-1226498100195)

RETURNING Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon will dig deep into his own pocket to boost the club's flagging football department budget.

The Dogs spent about $15.5 million on players, coaches and support services this season - one of the lowest amounts in the AFL.

But Gordon yesterday revealed "substantial" cash donations had already been pledged to kick-start his second coming at Whitten Oval.

"I have already had talks with some of the long-time, high net-worth supporters of the Bulldogs," Gordon told the Herald Sun.

"I have been excited by those talks ... and I believe that we will be in a position to raise substantial funds.

"We have a great young list, we have the opportunity to draft some of the best quality in the country and we have the best developmental coach in the AFL.

"But however you want to spin it, there is a very direct relationship between the amount of money you've got to invest and the number of premiership points you win. We need to accept that reality."

Another reality is the club's mountain of debt, put by Gordon yesterday at $10.5 million.

Gordon, 55, said plans for new revenue streams would be unveiled in the coming months.

Outgoing president David Smorgon, who will step aside at the club's annual meeting on December 20, told the Herald Sun the plan to bring back Gordon was hatched during lunch at South Melbourne's Centro restaurant in August.

Over a bottle of pinot and grilled flathead tails, the pair discussed the class-action lawyer's interest in returning to help out at the club he left in 1996.

"This was a lunch where Peter came with an idea to find out what my intentions were and where my head was at," Smorgon said.

"And I was sitting there while he was talking, thinking to myself that this guy might be the successor because there's a twinkle in the eye about the Bulldogs and the role.

"We followed that up a few weeks later when Peter hosted my wife Kathy and I to a very nice dinner. There was an even better bottle of red on that occasion, so I knew he was warming up."

On Monday the pair went to AFL House in the Docklands to discuss the succession plan with league supremos Mike Fitzpatrick, Andrew Demetriou and Gillon McLachlan.

They walked away convinced the time was right, but Smorgon said he did not decide to hand over the baton until 11am on Tuesday, before the club's monthly board meeting.

Gordon, too, had spent several weeks poring over the club's finances and action plans.

The pair addressed the staff at Whitten Oval yesterday, but the official handover will not take place until the annual meeting, where director Susan Alberti will be installed as Gordon's deputy.

Smorgon, 65, said the highlight of his 17 years in the top job was the building of new facilities at Whitten Oval.

He nominated the five lost preliminary finals as the low.

bornadog
19-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Well there is the $10 million mentioned in another thread?

I don't understand how we have a $10 million debt when the bulldoze the debt campaign was meant to start at $5 million?

Ghost Dog
19-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Over a bottle of pinot and grilled flathead tails,....does anyone give a %$@* about this?
I like Peter Gordon but this article sounds a bit 'try hard.'

Dancin' Douggy
19-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Over a bottle of pinot and grilled flathead tails,....does anyone give a %$@* about this?

What if they went fishing for flathead at the Newport hotties with a bottle of blackberry nip?

strebla
19-10-2012, 01:11 AM

That was a David Smorgan Quote not a Peter Gordon one. and Peter Gordon is a lot of things but a try hard he definitely is not !!!

Evel
19-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Well there is the $10 million mentioned in another thread?

I don't understand how we have a $10 million debt when the bulldoze the debt campaign was meant to start at $5 million?

This point stood out for me as well. $10 million debt?? I thought it was $5 million too. May have to look at the financials more closely. Perhaps the $5 million was net of cash, not sure but would like to more about this figure.

Maddog37
19-10-2012, 10:35 AM

I think he was just explaining the "courting" process and the type of food and wine consumed was used to describe the seriousness of each meeting GD.

Different strokes for different folks and all that........

bornadog
19-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Very negative GD when this is one of the best pieces of news for a long time.

Hopefully Peter can wipe this bloody debt once and for all.

Twodogs
19-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Flathead tails?

People are finedining on flathead tails now? We used to give them to the cat.

strebla
19-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Flathead tails?

People are finedining on flathead tails now? We used to give them to the cat.

No way Twodogs fry em up in beer batter very very nice indeed!!!

bornadog
19-10-2012, 02:21 PM
No way Twodogs fry em up in beer batter very very nice indeed!!!

mix your flour up with some coriander, cumin and paprika powder, roll them through and cook in shallow olive oil.

Ghost Dog
19-10-2012, 02:23 PM
That was a David Smorgan Quote not a Peter Gordon one. and Peter Gordon is a lot of things but a try hard he definitely is not !!!

'Try hard' as in going on about these things in the article ( the way it was written up ). Not referring to Peter as being try hard

Ghost Dog
19-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Very negative GD when this is one of the best pieces of news for a long time.

Hopefully Peter can wipe this bloody debt once and for all.

Yes it is a negative take on the way the article is written. As you mention, there are many positive things within it.

bornadog
19-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Yes it is a negative take on the way the article is written. As you mention, there are many positive things within it.

Well lets celebrate the positives and forget the journo.

KT31
19-10-2012, 05:32 PM
What if they went fishing for flathead at the Newport hotties with a bottle of blackberry nip?

Obviously not a local it's, the Warmies.

Eastdog
20-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I didn't think it was $10 million debt either. Im sure it was $5million in debt and we reduced it somewhat.

Dancin' Douggy
20-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Obviously not a local it's, the Warmies.

Well, if St. Albans isn't local enough.
But now you've jogged my memory, yes we did call them the warmies.
I knew it wasn't quite right when I typed it but just couldn't put my finger on it.

I did actually fish there though.

I'm not gonna be excommunicated or anything?:o

ledge
20-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Garlick
I think mentioned 1.4 million being wiped off this year if unheard rightly

KT31
20-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Garlick
I think mentioned 1.4 million being wiped off this year if unheard rightly

Does the $10million include this or are we making inroads and its $10mil - $1.4mil ?

ledge
21-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Does the $10million include this or are we making inroads and its $10mil - $1.4mil ?

There was no
Mention of 10 million he just said 1.4 had been wiped off and the money that he Smorgan and others were putting in would go into the football department, eg more staff, better equipment

ledge
21-10-2012, 09:06 AM

There was no
Mention of 10 million he just said 1.4 had been wiped off and the money that he Smorgan and others were putting in would go into the football department, eg more staff, better equipment

Dry Rot
22-10-2012, 12:59 AM

It does show a lack of judgement by both of them - that's a poor wine/food match. ;)