PDA

View Full Version : Koby Stevens

Pages : [1] 2

The Coon Dog
19-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Jon Ralph from the Herald Sun teweeted this:

@RalphyHeraldSun: NEWS: Dogs win the race for Koby Stevens. Hard inside mid, former no. 22 pick. Told the Dogs last night. Details on http://t.co/8fDNgNF8

@RalphyHeraldSun: Dogs going to like West Coasts Stevens. Hard at it, been cruelled by injury, now the two clubs need to work on a trade. Will get done though

@SammyHeraldSun: Koby Stevens has told West Coast he wants to be traded to the Western Bulldogs to get greater opportunity. Details at http://t.co/l1ZtY5vx

@RalphyHeraldSun: @SammyHeraldSun
Not sure how good he is yet but great pedigree, battled injury + leadership. Fact so many Vic clubs wanted him says a lot

G-Mo77
19-10-2012, 10:03 AM
At a guess one of our pick in the 40's. Throw in Sherman to sweeten it.

WB4Life
19-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Heard this Kids got a fair bit of potential. Could be a good get, lets hope we can use maybe a 41, or a trade on him.

11 games in 3 seasons, but seems it was he was stuck behind some talent is all. (unless someone has futher details?)

Hardnut, could see him starting on the HFF for us.

would be happy to see him come aboard.

whythelongface
19-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a promising player and the type of player that McCartney likes ie. contested ball player. Does he have pace? and what is his general kicking like?

bornadog
19-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Heard this Kids got a fair bit of potential. Could be a good get, lets hope we can use maybe a 41, or a trade on him.

11 games in 3 seasons, but seems it was he was stuck behind some talent is all. (unless someone has futher details?)

Hardnut, could see him starting on the HFF for us.

would be happy to see him come aboard.

Prefer Pick 47

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Prefer Pick 47

Yeah reckon it will be 41 (which might end up around 47 once comp picks decided). Eagles will ask for Pick 21, but can't see how they can justify it given they got Wellingham for 17 - no comparison between Stevens and Wellingham.

G-Mo77
19-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Prefer Pick 47

I would think that sounds about right. We traded Josh Hill for a pick around that mark last year.

bornadog
19-10-2012, 10:26 AM
from @ Stevoheraldsun

The crust of it: Clay Smith's dad works with Koby Stevens' old man at Pattie's Pies in Gippsland. Now both their sons will be Dogs.

Topdog
19-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Prefer one outside 50 if we have 1. Was originally pick 22 and has only managed 11 games in 3 years. Can't be worth the same as Josh Hill was

The Coon Dog
19-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Article in the Herald Sun:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/koby-stevens-finds-new-home-at-western-bulldogs/story-e6frf9nx-1226499075875

azabob
19-10-2012, 10:30 AM
McCartney did mention he would look to get in "stronger" bodies to help lesson the load on Boyd, Griffen, Cross etc.

Bulldog Revolution
19-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Happy to give the boy a shot

I think he's made a good decision choosing us

Can he also play off half back?

Mantis
19-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a promising player and the type of player that McCartney likes ie. contested ball player. Does he have pace? and what is his general kicking like?

Seconded.

I know little of this guy and are keen to know if he can run & kick, last thing we need is another 'hard at it battler'.

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 11:04 AM
His kicking skills are quite good although i don't think he has great pace.

whythelongface
19-10-2012, 11:20 AM

Do we need another midfielder that wins contested ball and doesn't have great pace?

I was hoping that in his past life he was a junior sprint champion.

always right
19-10-2012, 11:21 AM

Lenny Hayes without the ability?

always right
19-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Do we need another midfielder that wins contested ball and doesn't have great pace?

I was hoping that in his past life he was a junior sprint champion.

"Doesn't have great pace" doesn't necessarily equal slow. Would have been nice to see the words "line breaker" alongside his name however.

Axe Man
19-10-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't know if he's any good or not but it's just nice for a player to choose us with all the doom and gloom lately.:)

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 11:27 AM
i think he will be a good get

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Seconded.

I know little of this guy and are keen to know if he can run & kick, last thing we need is another 'hard at it battler'.

From what I've heard of him sounds a bit like Dylan Addison hopefully he's a slightly better kick

whythelongface
19-10-2012, 11:29 AM
"Doesn't have great pace" doesn't necessarily equal slow. Would have been nice to see the words "line breaker" alongside his name however.

Fair point - was just thinking along the same lines ie. a line breaker who often stands up his opponents with extraordinary pace and can kick 50 metre goals on the run. I am not asking for much.

whythelongface
19-10-2012, 11:30 AM
I don't know if he's any good or not but it's just nice for a player to choose us with all the doom and gloom lately.:)

Yes that is a positive.

EasternWest
19-10-2012, 11:40 AM

He he. Even if he didn't want to come to us, you'd still offer them Sherman.

Prefer Pick 47

Seconded.

Seconded.

Thirded.

WB4Life
19-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Fair point - was just thinking along the same lines ie. a line breaker who often stands up his opponents with extraordinary pace and can kick 50 metre goals on the run. I am not asking for much.

if that was the case, not sure he would had found it so hard to break WC's Ranks... haha, but yes a nice pipedream.

stefoid
19-10-2012, 11:42 AM
I am hoping this means we dont have to select a contested ball king with pick 5 or 6.

bulldogsman
19-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Not really excited by this trade, hope it's for pick 47.

1eyedog
19-10-2012, 11:49 AM
We'll have a bunch of blokes who can win the ball but cannot catch the other blokes with it:rolleyes:

We'll have to top Sydney as the stoppage team and play to our strengths in close.

Grantysghost
19-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Some footage from draft profile. Seems like your standard inside midfielder. Would've been nice to get some pace in but hopefully we can with 5 & 6.

Link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYmZKxf0do)

Edit - video of kicking straighforward goal at this timepoint of above video

Link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fgYmZKxf0do#t=284s)

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Early picks should be used to find some pace. Think Koby will add some hard grunt and protection for our young guys. Wants to play with us too, so that's good enough for me!

Welcome Koby!

Mantis
19-10-2012, 12:25 PM
We'll have to top Sydney as the stoppage team and play to our strengths in close.

But didn't Sydney get belted in the stoppages & CP's in the GF?

We need to get more efficient with the ball, not win it more as we already get enough of it, we just don't do anything with it.

hujsh
19-10-2012, 12:25 PM

West Coast: "Leave out Sherman and you have a deal"

Twodogs
19-10-2012, 12:41 PM

Link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fgYmZKxf0do#t=284s)

^^^^^^^^
Wow. There's a lot of redheads in that team.

I dont know anything about Stevens but watching that vision it seems he can stay on his feet and uses the ball nicely.

Cyberdoggie
19-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Some footage from draft profile. Seems like your standard inside midfielder. Would've been nice to get some pace in but hopefully we can with 5 & 6.

Link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYmZKxf0do)

Yeah i looked these up the other day and they have basically taken every play action he was involved in a game against WA.

Not a lot of highlights, can't really take much out of it other than he doesn't appear like a player that runs much or has much pace.

Having said that he physically looks completely different now.

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Would have been nice to see the words "line breaker" alongside his name however.

Like Sherman? :D

It makes for a nice change to receive a 3rd year player. This trade gives me confidence that the coaching staff are sticking tightly to their long term plan, and agree that future drafting will look to add the outside pace and class.

bornadog
19-10-2012, 12:49 PM

West Coast want to pay us to keep Sherman:D:D

Twodogs
19-10-2012, 12:54 PM
West Coast want to pay us to keep Sherman:D:D

Maybe we can threaten them with Sherman? "Give us Stevens and Josh Kennedy or we'll talk the Sherminator into playing for you":D

Mofra
19-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm just glad that we finally have a player that has come out and said we are his preferred destination. Gives us some hope that we aren't a complete basketcase and we do have a vision that players can buy into.

FWIW I'd love to see Sherman come good just for the reaction on this board

bornadog
19-10-2012, 01:06 PM

Me too, the guy has talent and I don't want to see the Harbrow compensation pick pissed down the drain.

If the coach is any good, he will get the best out of him, not just give up.

on Koby Stevens:

I think it makes a difference to players if there is someone they know at the club when they make their decision on the club of choice. Obviously the Clay Smith connection, both playing for Lucknow and their fathers knowing each other etc. If he is as tough as Clay, we have a good player coming to us.

Mantis
19-10-2012, 01:16 PM
It makes for a nice change to receive a 3rd year player. This trade gives me confidence that the coaching staff are sticking tightly to their long term plan, and agree that future drafting will look to add the outside pace and class.

Moving into his 4th year and he is hardly a walk up start to our best 22 going on his past efforts.

It's a bit like us getting Djerrkura isn't it?... In that he is a low 20's pick who struggled to get a regular berth in a good team.

Maddog37
19-10-2012, 01:22 PM
I reckon he is worth a roll of the dice. Comes from a good club, likes it tough and is still young.

EasternWest
19-10-2012, 01:52 PM

I'd just like to see Sherman come good for the betterment of our team.

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 01:53 PM
I'd more concerned if we appeared to be the only club chasing him. Also, Sherman is a dogs player guys, let's afford him some respect. I don't rubbish dogs players until they leave the club!

jazzadogs
19-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Jarrad Grant has tweeted (https://twitter.com/jarradgrant1/status/259104383768354816):
"Koby Stevens has taken your spot @brodiemoles"

I know that he is just having a laugh at Brodie, but if you actually look at it that way I think it's a reasonable swap. Worth a shot anyway...

Bulldog4life
19-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Jarrad Grant has tweeted (https://twitter.com/jarradgrant1/status/259104383768354816):

I know that he is just having a laugh at Brodie, but if you actually look at it that way I think it's a reasonable swap. Worth a shot anyway...

Granty wants to be careful that no one sends him a similar tweet in the future.:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I've seen Koby Stevens play a few games for West Coast this and last year.

I think people are underrating his potential here. He's not slow, but he won't chase down Lewis Jetta either.

More importantly, he knows how to use the football. Something i would much prefer than being lightning quick.

Lots of clubs were interested and for good reason too.

Great get! I think it will be pick 41.

If i was to compare him to a player, i would say Redden from Brisbane. If he can turn out as good as him, this is a steal.

BulldogBelle
19-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Clay Smith is already paying dividends!

1eyedog
19-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm just glad that we finally have a player that has come out and said we are his preferred destination. Gives us some hope that we aren't a complete basketcase and we do have a vision that players can buy into.

What do you mean finally? Both Aker and Hall has done this in recent memory. Do you expect one a year?

Remi Moses
19-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Do we really need another slow in and under type?
I'm worried he couldn't get a game ahead of Swift or Mcginity !
Just don't feel obliged to trade.

G-Mo77
19-10-2012, 03:26 PM

I don't think there would be anyone here wanting him to not do well while playing at the Dogs. I'm very critical of him but I'll be happy to give credit where it's due if he puts it altogether. I'm not one of those people.

F'scary
19-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I just hope he cracks in.

Hot_Doggies
19-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Do we really need another slow in and under type?
I'm worried he couldn't get a game ahead of Swift or Mcginity !
Just don't feel obliged to trade.

Mcginity would get a game at(if not all) most clubs. Much improved young player.

Mofra
19-10-2012, 04:07 PM
What do you mean finally? Both Aker and Hall has done this in recent memory. Do you expect one a year?
"Yay, players on their last career legs going to a top 4 club".

The situation for the Bulldogs has actually changed over the last three years (Hall was traded during the 09 trade period).

hujsh
19-10-2012, 04:28 PM

Concerning that Grant's joking about his teammates being delisted. As an outsider looking in it looks pretty poor.

bornadog
19-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Concerning that Grant's joking about his teammates being delisted. As an outsider looking in it looks pretty poor.

mates having fun - chill

always right
19-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Do you know what relationship Grant has with Brodie Moles? Sounds to me like one mate taking the piss out of another. Lighten up.;)

jazzadogs
19-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Not really an issue IMO. Judging from their communication on Twitter, they're pretty good mates and were just having a laugh with each other.

Topdog
19-10-2012, 04:42 PM
They are all just kids and mostly really immature. Not sure what else you'd expect esp. on twitter.

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I've seen Koby Stevens play a few games for West Coast this and last year.

I think people are underrating his potential here. He's not slow, but he won't chase down Lewis Jetta either.

More importantly, he knows how to use the football. Something i would much prefer than being lightning quick.

Lots of clubs were interested and for good reason too.

Great get! I think it will be pick 41.

If i was to compare him to a player, i would say Redden from Brisbane. If he can turn out as good as him, this is a steal.

Name me one player in the league who can catch Lewis Jetta. Rioli had a tough time…

always right
19-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Name me one player in the league who can catch Lewis Jetta. Rioli had a tough time…

Hands down my favourite moment of the GF. Watching all those adoring hawks supporters see Rioli flapping his arms in the futile pursuit of Jetta.

Twodogs
19-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Hands down my favourite moment of the GF. Watching all those adoring hawks supporters see Rioli flapping his arms in the futile pursuit of Jetta.

I'm gonna go right off topic. I took the kids to the show on GF day. We walked in at 2pm and it worked perfectly. There was room to move, we didnt have to queue for anythng. we even parked close enough so that I heard most of the fourth quarter and see the last 15 minutes on TV at home.

I've never done anything really important on grand final day ever before. It was

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Moving into his 4th year and he is hardly a walk up start to our best 22 going on his past efforts.

It's a bit like us getting Djerrkura isn't it?... In that he is a low 20's pick who struggled to get a regular berth in a good team.
He is rated by BMcC which is good enough for me. We need players who have been in the system for a couple of years to supplement the new draftees. The fact that we beat off both Essendon and St. Kilda to gain his services is a plus.

KT31
19-10-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm gonna go right off topic. I took the kids to the show on GF day. We walked in at 2pm and it worked perfectly. There was room to move, we didnt have to queue for anythng. we even parked close enough so that I heard most of the fourth quarter and see the last 15 minutes on TV at home.

I've never done anything really important on grand final day ever before. It was

My Oldman used to take me to the show GF day every year.
It was the shows last day and it wouldn't be so crowded.
Used to look forward to it every year.
Took my kids when we were still in Melbourne and the Show just wasn't the same.
Not like as a Footscray supporter I had anything else to do.:(

The Bulldogs Bite
19-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Whilst he isn't exactly what we need, I like him as a player. 41 should get it done.

Our inside midfield group is set for the next 8-10 years with Libba, Wallis, Smith and perhaps Stevens.

1eyedog
19-10-2012, 06:14 PM
He is rated by BMcC which is good enough for me. We need players who have been in the system for a couple of years to supplement the new draftees. The fact that we beat off both Essendon and St. Kilda to gain his services is a plus.

Maybe, getting him could be a poisoned chalice. he's been in the system for a few years but he's played a handful of games so what does he offer more than Wallis, Libba etc. that have played more games?

I think BMac over values harder inside players, that is evident by the fact that he went after Smith and now Stevens and why Grant, Sherman (who has been ordinary) and Vez are on the outer. Rather than developing these outsiders and looking at optimising their strengths he puts them back in the 2s to 'harden up', but being hard players may not be their go and their other talents are being wasted.

I've looked at a fair bit of footage of Stevens today from both Vic Country and the Eagles and I don't see anything to make me think that that he will get a game in the middle in front of Wally, Libba or even Smith.

I will probably be wrong but that's how I feel about it.

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Being hard isn't just about winning the contested ball in the middle or at stoppages. It also means putting your head over the ball in the forward line, going when it's your turn and applying physical pressure all over the ground. Perhaps when BMac wants players such s Sherman and Vez to get harder, he is speaking about situations such as those I've just described?

1eyedog
19-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Being hard isn't just about winning the contested ball in the middle or at stoppages. It also means putting your head over the ball in the forward line, going when it's your turn and applying physical pressure all over the ground. Perhaps when BMac wants players such s Sherman and Vez to get harder, he is speaking about situations such as those I've just described?

I just think they are not hard at it players and BMac seems to have a very specific rule about this.

I guess all outsiders are expected to put their heads over the ball and apply a high level of defensive pressure. I know it's a basic requirement in the modern game but I hope he is not putting this expectation in front of these players when they may have other things to offer. He seems fairly hard-lined with his contested ball mantra.

hujsh
19-10-2012, 06:56 PM
mates having fun - chill

Do you know what relationship Grant has with Brodie Moles? Sounds to me like one mate taking the piss out of another. Lighten up.;)

Not really an issue IMO. Judging from their communication on Twitter, they're pretty good mates and were just having a laugh with each other.

They are all just kids and mostly really immature. Not sure what else you'd expect esp. on twitter.

I'll stand down then. (My reverse psychology to garner support for Grant having obviously succeeded:cool:)

It just seemed kind of too soon to joke about his career ending (he was delisted right?) but I don't really know Moles (as I said outsider looking in)

Maddog37
19-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Personally I think Vez is simply not fit enough and Shermo lacks focus.

jeemak
19-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Personally I think Vez is simply not fit enough and Shermo lacks focus.

This. Vez needs a big uninterrupted preseason. Big time, otherwise his career is finished.

Doc26
19-10-2012, 09:30 PM
So will our pick 44 cut the deal with West Coast for Stevens ? Seems to be a tad undervalued in the mid 40s.
We have a fair gap between our third pick (22) and our next pick (44).
Maybe some trade swapping as well with WC in later rounds to sweeten it although not a lot there to work with. Say our third round 51 for their 62.

Curious to know how we would've made trade room for Gumbleton as well IF he had chosen us.

jeemak
19-10-2012, 10:09 PM
We have pick 41 to use as well, and I'd think that would be pretty close to the mark in the end.

BTW, we actually picked up 21 for Lake, and downgraded 27 to 41 in a swap with the Hawks as well.

jeemak
19-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Sorry, just figured out you might be thinking post Goddard compensation, making 21 drop back to 22........

Doc26
19-10-2012, 10:12 PM
We have pick 41 to use as well, and I'd think that would be pretty close to the mark in the end.

BTW, we actually picked up 21 for Lake, and downgraded 27 to 41 in a swap with the Hawks as well.

I think you will find what was our 41 is now 44 given the new compensation picks announced today for St Kilda and Port.

Will or should 44 cut the deal for him on its own ?

jeemak
19-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Indeed, see above! :)

I think they have to realistic and understand we can't do any better than 44.

Raw Toast
19-10-2012, 10:52 PM

You could be right, but Djerrkura was going to be delisted (or very close to it) while Stevens was apparently a required player at the Weagles who wanted to come home and had at least two other teams competing for his services (Essendon and the Saints). Sounds like he is a neat kick and faster than treacle.

I know the Swans got badly done in the contested ball stats by the Hawks but their midfield seems pretty close to what BMac wants, and Hawthorn's is pretty similar (also, if the Hawks had kicked straight we'd probably be saying that they won the flag because of the grunt of Sewell, Mitchell and Lewis around the ball!).

GVGjr
19-10-2012, 11:19 PM

Most coaches rate a certain type of player and McCartney appreciates those willing to put their head over the football and make a strong contest. Stevens should fit that role for McCartney and will be given opportunities.

I'm comfortable enough with selection but understand that he isn't likely to be a star player.

He's the right sort of age to come through with our talent younger brigade like Liberatore, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Howard, Tutt and Smith.

The deal still needs to be done though.

jeemak
19-10-2012, 11:46 PM
You need a good bunch of midfielders to do the grunt work, and for us to think that having Smith, Wallis, Liberatore alongside Boyd, Picken and Cross is sufficient would be extremely short sighted.

The reality is, that while we need to add quick and skilled midfielders who can deliver the ball and complete the good work by the aforementioned, in two years that list will be cut down to just Smith, Wallis, Liberatore and Picken, and that won't be enough to supplement fatigue, form and injuury across the course of a season. Picken will also have to be used to do jobs on individual oponents throughout the rest of his career, as he's just too good at it.

We're most likely to gain top shelf finishers or users at the pointy end of the draft. Using mid-range picks on people that are mainly inside with satisfactory to good foot skill shouldn't be a worry for us right now.

The only way we'll be an ultra competitive team is if we have a solid rotation of midfielders that can at least be neutral as a unit, when the guns of the crop are having a spell.

Remi Moses
20-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Looks just a player reading the 09 write ups on BF.
11 games 4 years, pick 40 odd would have to be it.

GVGjr
20-10-2012, 03:12 PM

He's not going to be a star but I think he's a decent player with some upside.

wimberga
20-10-2012, 05:22 PM

Hard to gauge the price a bit though isn't it?

You have players like Wellingham who is probably Collingwoods 5th or 6th best midfielder who fetches pick 17, and you have players like Clinton Young who in my view is somewhat comparable to Wellingham though older and he fetches 66.

I know that trading is obviously a bit different to compensation picks but its interesting to think about what we have to trade for Stevens vs what he is worth, given what we have seen in this trade/FA period.

Doc26
20-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Hard to gauge the price a bit though isn't it?

I know that trading is obviously a bit different to compensation picks but its interesting to think about what we have to trade for Stevens vs what he is worth, given what we have seen in this trade/FA period.

Agree.

In our favour is that he is uncontracted and we also have pick 4 in the preseason draft up our sleeves to tease WC which given he's stated he wants to both come home (ie should then exclude GWS and GC preseason picks) and has now chosen us should put us in a strong position to strike a deal that works in our favour.

Sedat
20-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Agree. In our favour is that he is uncontracted and we also have pick 4 in the preseason draft up our sleeves to tease WC which given he's stated he wants to both come home (ie should then exclude GWS and GC preseason picks) and has now chosen us should put us in a strong position to strike a deal that works in our favour.
You mean like the Lake situation?

DOG GOD
20-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Nothing is ever in our favour. Don't be surprised if its #44 but we swap later picks :(

Topdog
20-10-2012, 06:49 PM
He is contracted. Should be our pick after the old 47

Doc26
20-10-2012, 06:56 PM
He is contracted. Should be our pick after the old 47

Are you sure TD ?

Have read numerous articles indicating that he's uncontracted.

This one in today's paper from Emma Quayle and Michael Gleeson

Hawthorn Unhappy at Compensation

Scott Gumbleton signed an improved one-year contract to stay at Windy Hill, leaving the Bulldogs free to pursue a trade for uncontracted West Coast midfielder Koby Stevens. Gumbleton had been offered a multiple-year deal to play for the Bulldogs next season and also drawn interest from Melbourne, Fremantle and, earlier, Carlton.

Topdog
21-10-2012, 08:33 AM
But the free agency period has ended?

Hotdog60
21-10-2012, 08:52 AM
But the free agency period has ended?

He was never a free agent, but he is currently not bound by a written contract so he can either be traded for a deal agreed to by both parties or enter the draft.

Thats my take on it but I could be wrong.:)

Hotdog60
21-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Meanwhile, the Western Bulldogs are expected to secure onballer Koby Stevens from West Coast before the end of trading, but The Age reports the Eagles are seeking pick No.44 but the Dogs are currently only prepared to offer pick No.51.

G-Mo77
21-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Those picks sounded much better before they were devalued for the comps.

Raw Toast
21-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Interesting to read that the club feels like the Eagles ripped us off with Hill - we received pick 49 for him, so don't want to give a pick below that for Stevens who hasn't shown as much as Hill did.

The Weagles might offer the counter-argument that Hill had also shown less than Stevens had, and that we were pretty close to delisting him. Still I'm happy to play hard-ball on this and it seems hard to complain about using pick 51 on Stevens (especially after a few other clubs tried to win his services).

Topdog
21-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Not sure how anyone with a straight face could say that Stevens had shown more than Hill.

Hill pissed me off a great deal but let's not rewrite history here, he showed a heck of a lot of ability in his time with us.

DOG GOD
21-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Stevens won't offer a lot to our team so pick 51 should be enough, but we will more than likely bend over with pick 44 if it comes to Friday morning and its hit a stalemate.

Sockeye Salmon
21-10-2012, 02:31 PM
44, 51 what difference does it make?

No-one has heard of the guy we intend to pick anyway.

Mofra
21-10-2012, 03:17 PM

Lachie Hunter at pick 50 removes one of the selctions between the two picks as well.

Maddog37
21-10-2012, 04:35 PM

What do you mean by this SS?

GVGjr
21-10-2012, 04:39 PM
What do you mean by this SS?

SS can answer it when he is next on but I'm guessing it's two things:

1) At that stage of the draft 7 spots doesn't make a lot of difference
2) With the 'other pick' we will take a virtual unknown who hasn't necessarily followed the elite pathway to the AFL much like Skinner.

Maddog37
21-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks GVG.

stefoid
21-10-2012, 06:03 PM
You never know who will still be around at 44. You dont give up 7 spots just because.

GVGjr
21-10-2012, 06:39 PM
You never know who will still be around at 44. You dont give up 7 spots just because.

When was the last time you think someone nabbed a player from us in later rounds maybe 2 or 3 spots beforehand? I'd be surprised if it has happened more than once.

My feel is that no one had Schofield, Skinner, Tom Hill and Thorne on their senior list calculations and Pearce might be in that mix as well. Roberts was also a rookie list player if it wasn't for Schofield packing his bags early.

I agree that you don't make it easier on the opposition but West Coast could probably bluff me out of it unless I was really focused on some players that had followed the elite pathway and therefore likely to be under review from other sides.

If I'm intending to spread my recruiting focus far and wide then I'm probably not that fussed.

On principle we should stand firm and sell the fact that we will take him in the PSD but it does depend on our overall strategy.

stefoid
21-10-2012, 08:39 PM
When was the last time you think someone nabbed a player from us in later rounds maybe 2 or 3 spots beforehand? I'd be surprised if it has happened more than once.

I know we pinched Dickson 2 picks before the dons.

GVGjr
21-10-2012, 09:42 PM
I know we pinched Dickson 2 picks before the dons.

How exactly did we pinch him from Essendon? It was our last pick in the draft and they took the bare minimum of just 3 selections not having a pick between 31 and 58.

He might have been on their radar to select but they never positioned themselves like they were really that interested in him.

mjp
21-10-2012, 10:13 PM
1/.I like Koby Stevens - he is a good player.

2/.I think he was a 20-something pick in his original draft and has had 2-3 years development at West Coast (who have a pretty darned good midfield - just going against Kerr and Priddis at training every day would have been a great experience for him).

3/.He was an AIS member so has been through that whole 'experience' - it does help the kids overcome adversity when it comes (as it always done).

4/.He played a heap of senior footy and was a strong contributor in a Grand Final team this year...

All the hand wringing over pick 44 or 51 or whatever? Hell, I would give up pick 22 for Stevens. If we know we have him, we can relax our efforts to get mids with our other selections and really focus on getting some quality outside runners...With Stevens, Wallis, Liberatore - not to mention Griffen - we really do have a strong young midfield group.

As for all the talk about Josh Hill, the Eagles saw his true colours in the finals...all we should care about with Josh is that we don't have to put up with his inconsistent play and poor attitude anymore.

GVGjr
21-10-2012, 10:24 PM
All the hand wringing over pick 44 or 51 or whatever? Hell, I would give up pick 22 for Stevens. If we know we have him, we can relax our efforts to get mids with our other selections and really focus on getting some quality outside runners...With Stevens, Wallis, Liberatore - not to mention Griffen - we really do have a strong young midfield group.

Thanks for the insight into Stevens and I agree that the pick number isn't that important.
It will be interesting to see if we try and arm wrestle him away from West Coast and make them accept pick 51.

Nice to hear that you rate him as a good player.

bornadog
21-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the insight into Stevens and I agree that the pick number isn't that important.
It will be interesting to see if we try and arm wrestle him away from West Coast and make them accept pick 51.

Nice to hear that you rate him as a good player.

Pick 51 sounds about right.

stefoid
21-10-2012, 11:44 PM
How exactly did we pinch him from Essendon? It was our last pick in the draft and they took the bare minimum of just 3 selections not having a pick between 31 and 58.

He might have been on their radar to select but they never positioned themselves like they were really that interested in him.

That was the story.

Its not a question of what hes worth, its what we can get him for. 7 picks is 7 picks.

Raw Toast
21-10-2012, 11:44 PM

2/.I think he was a 20-something pick in his original draft and has had 2-3 years development at West Coast (who have a pretty darned good midfield - just going against Kerr and Priddis at training every day would have been a great experience for him).

3/.He was an AIS member so has been through that whole 'experience' - it does help the kids overcome adversity when it comes (as it always done).

4/.He played a heap of senior footy and was a strong contributor in a Grand Final team this year...

As for all the talk about Josh Hill, the Eagles saw his true colours in the finals...all we should care about with Josh is that we don't have to put up with his inconsistent play and poor attitude anymore.

Thanks MJP, good to hear.

I'm happy for us to try and give up the least valuable pick as a matter of principal (and we haven't been that good at it) as long as we don't get all Essendon or Pelchin'ish about it.

But I'm happier to hear that even if we give up the lower pick it's still likely to be a good deal for us. And I agree that it does seem to fit into a plan of drafting speedy outsidish runners. If (and I know the odds are not in his favour) Cooney can recover a bit more he might enjoy the service.

Interesting to also note that Stevens says he decided to leave after his mate Mark Nicoski pointed out that opportunities were very likely to be limited again next year. Understandable, but not sure Nicoski would want that made public...

dog town
22-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Pretty sure we only beat Freo to the punch by a handful of picks on Daniel Cross. I dont think it matters a great deal but in some cases it could make a big difference. Not sure how well the recruiters know the interests of other sides.

Sedat
22-10-2012, 01:05 AM
IIRC our Jade Rawlings trade to North where we actually downgraded our position by 3 places just to get that relic off our books, which North then used the slightly upgraded pick on Andrew Swallow, who some here have suggested was also on Clayton's radar. If Dalrymple has someone specifically in mind with pick 44 that is unlikely to last beyond that pick, I'm happy for us to play hardball - I remember us pulling the trigger at pick 43 on Easton Wood in the 2007 draft as Collingwood was ready to pounce between that pick and our next pick in that draft (which was only a few spots further down - 48 from memory). But if Dalrymple has a number of options in mind for the 3rd round, pick 44 or 51 doesn't make a whole lot of difference - but anything that makes it easier for us to secure exactly who we are really after from the ND is a play worth making.

Thanks for the insights on Stevens, MJP. To be honest I'd struggle to tell him apart from Ashley Smith but you've obviously seen a lot of him in action. Certainly worth a punt for a 3rd round pick.

Remi Moses
22-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Nice to hear some insights on Stevens.
You become out of sight out of mind over there.
Agree entirely, particulary one early pick has to been on some outside skill.
Gotta feeling one of those picks is going to be Wines.

The Underdog
22-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Pick 51 sounds about right.

Yeah but so does 44 and I don't think anyone should get particularly upset if it ends up being that. Everything around there is pretty speculative and its unlikely we'll get anyone with Stevens upside at that point in the draft.

MrMahatma
22-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Just don't pay more than it'd cost to get a guy of the same ability and development in this draft. Would be surprised if any of the pics mooted are overs.

The least we pay the better though, sure.

Doc26
22-10-2012, 01:04 PM

All the reports I've had this season is that he had a very solid 2012 in the WAFL and as his best opportunity did present to gain a senior selection this season he was knocked out just prior in a WAFL game which stifled his chances.

The Eagles did appear to offer Tom Swift more opportunity as the season progressed possibly in the understanding that Stevens was looking to head back home at season's end. That Tom Swift announced his retirement at season's end apparently came as a shock to Worsfold.

The opportunities that Stevens did get this season for WC were very limited, being used as the sub on 3 to 4 occasions with very limited game time put into him with the exception of the GCS game.

We shouldn't lose him simply by playing hard ball between 44 and 51 given that he has been identified as filling a requirement.

jazzadogs
22-10-2012, 01:13 PM
All the reports I've had this season is that he had a very solid 2012 in the WAFL and as his best opportunity did present to gain a senior selection this season he was knocked out just prior in a WAFL game which stifled his chances.

The Eagles did appear to offer Tom Swift more opportunity as the season progressed possibly in the understanding that Stevens was looking to head back home at season's end although the fact that Swift was ahead of him and has now been delisted doesn't present too well. Maybe we could use this point in our case.

The opportunities that Stevens did get this season for WC were very limited, being used as the sub on 3 to 4 occasions with very limited game time put into him with the exception of the GCS game.

We shouldn't lose him simply by playing hard ball between 44 and 51 given that he has been identified as filling a requirement.

Swift quit football to pursue a career in Medicine.

bornadog
22-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Swift quit football to pursue a career in Medicine.

which surprised everyone at the Eagles.

anfo27
22-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Isn't Swift an outside mid? If so I don't see why Swift getting more games than Stevens has to do with anything.

stefoid
22-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Maybe getting Stevens and keeping Addison and so on is more about filling the club up with guys who's commitment to training and contested ball is unconditional - more of a culture thing than each and every one of them being seen as members of out next premiership best 22.

always right
22-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Maybe getting Stevens and keeping Addison and so on is more about filling the club up with guys who's commitment to training and contested ball is unconditional - more of a culture thing than each and every one of them being seen as members of out next premiership best 22.

I reckon Addison earned his spot based on his performance last season more than any statement about culture. Would have been staggered to see him delisted.

Dog54
22-10-2012, 05:39 PM
I reckon Addison earned his spot based on his performance last season more than any statement about culture. Would have been staggered to see him delisted.

Addison was good both back and forward agree totally. Some people are very hard to please ! Also we are very short on players in Dylan's age bracket

mjp
22-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Isn't Swift an outside mid? If so I don't see why Swift getting more games than Stevens has to do with anything.

Swift got games because he was a tireless worker, trainer and understood all of the structures etc to a t...he was also prepared to hold and block and do the 'team thing' around stoppages. Not saying that Stevens wasn't - just that Swift understood his role and played it selflessly, so whenever there was an 'OUT' he was the number 1 in.

Raw Toast
22-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Swift got games because he was a tireless worker, trainer and understood all of the structures etc to a t...he was also prepared to hold and block and do the 'team thing' around stoppages. Not saying that Stevens wasn't - just that Swift understood his role and played it selflessly, so whenever there was an 'OUT' he was the number 1 in.

Thanks Mike,

You're knowledge of the WA teams is invaluable (along with your general footy knowledge of course! ;)). Were you surprised that Swift retired?

mjp
22-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks Mike,

You're knowledge of the WA teams is invaluable (along with your general footy knowledge of course! ;)). Were you surprised that Swift retired?

Well, it is pretty hard to study medicine and play AFL footy. He is (apparently) a talented guy who clearly realises the dreams he had as a 16yo are not going to come true re- football and has decided it is time to move on. I am sure the incredible (and ridiculous) abuse he cops from WCE fans factored into his decision...it is real Jayde Rawlings like over here and really without basis. I mean, West Coast don't win or lose based on Tom Swift - they win or lose based on Kerr or Hurn or any number of other 'stars'.

He is going to play WAFL so clearly still has a love for footy.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Well, it is pretty hard to study medicine and play AFL footy. He is (apparently) a talented guy who clearly realises the dreams he had as a 16yo are not going to come true re- football and has decided it is time to move on. I am sure the incredible (and ridiculous) abuse he cops from WCE fans factored into his decision...it is real Jayde Rawlings like over here and really without basis. I mean, West Coast don't win or lose based on Tom Swift - they win or lose based on Kerr or Hurn or any number of other 'stars'.

He is going to play WAFL so clearly still has a love for footy.

Swift was rated really highly prior to some injury concerns wasn't he mjp? IIRC wasn't he touted potentially top five at one stage?

I thought he really struggled at AFL level, but good luck to him with life after footy.

w3design
22-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Addison was good both back and forward agree totally. Some people are very hard to please ! Also we are very short on players in Dylan's age bracket

Some have their minds made up, totally regardless of apparent reality. Addison has been more more reliable than most in 2012.

F'scary
23-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Some have their minds made up, totally regardless of apparent reality. Addison has been more more reliable than most in 2012.

He cracks in.

DragzLS1
23-10-2012, 03:36 PM

turned from average player to 1 of my favourite most reliable players. Cracks in just like Picken does and rarely gives up or losses 1 on 1's :)

Wouldnt mind seeing Koby Stevens given a go with a pick in the 40's+

Mantis
23-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Reports that we are at a stale mate with WC, they want a pick in the 40's, we're offering one in the 50's.

They are happy to let him go into the draft if a deal isn't sorted.

bornadog
23-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Reports that we are at a stale mate with WC, they want a pick in the 40's, we're offering one in the 50's.

Fine, lets stick to our guns, not worth a pick in the 40's

Sockeye Salmon
23-10-2012, 06:42 PM

How petty

westdog54
23-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Where does our last 'live' pick lie?

So far we have 8 traded/delisted/retired players. Lake, Hargrave, Gilbee, Djerkurra, Moles, Mulligan, Hill and Hooper.

We will probably upgrade Johannisen and Campbell as a minimum, leaving 6 spots.

As it stands now we have 5,6,22,44 and 51 as live picks, with to be used for Hunter.

By my reckoning that means they want 44 when we're offering 51. Surely they're not dragging their heels over 7 spots in the draft.

BulldogBelle
23-10-2012, 06:57 PM
It seems they're attempting to compensate giving the Pies pick 17 for Wellingham by being total hardasses at the later end of the draft table, after the furore that created with the West Coast fans.

LostDoggy
23-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Be nice to see us stand our ground and not budge. It's 51 or they get nothing. Who cares what happened with the Wellingham deal. Should have no bearing on how we play hardball.

The Underdog
23-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Fine, lets stick to our guns, not worth a pick in the 40's

Really, where does the arbitrary line of his worth lie? If we really want him I've got no problem with using 44. It certainly wouldn't constitute bending over as some have said.

Bulldog4life
23-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Really, where does the arbitrary line of his worth lie? If we really want him I've got no problem with using 44. It certainly wouldn't constitute bending over as some have said.

Ditto.

LostDoggy
23-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Use pick 44 please Dogs.. We need players this age on our list. Has the body ready go, has shown he can play at the level and also has the potential to have a real break out year.

Noone will be left at pick 44 with the upside that Stevens has.

Remi Moses
23-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Addison is average at best. Still the same player he was 2 year back.

Completely untrue. Way better in the past season, he's no star but you couldn't say he hasn't improved.

Doc26
23-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Be nice to see us stand our ground and not budge. It's 51 or they get nothing. Who cares what happened with the Wellingham deal. Should have no bearing on how we play hardball.

But given he's been identifed by us as fitting our list need why cut off our nose to spite our face for the sake of a few spots into round 3 ? Isn't it about what's best for us, not about making a statement for the sake of it.

Use pick 44 please Dogs.. We need players this age on our list. Has the body ready go, has shown he can play at the level and also has the potential to have a real break out year.

And I imagine WC realise we would be thinking the same.

I'm OK with us holding out and pushing the line with them to a point but unless we have a clear idea with what we want to do with pick 44 over pick 51 then we should just make it happen.

Sockeye Salmon
23-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Where does our last 'live' pick lie?

So far we have 8 traded/delisted/retired players. Lake, Hargrave, Gilbee, Djerkurra, Moles, Mulligan, Hill and Hooper.

We will probably upgrade Johannisen and Campbell as a minimum, leaving 6 spots.

As it stands now we have 5,6,22,44 and 51 as live picks, with to be used for Hunter.

By my reckoning that means they want 44 when we're offering 51. Surely they're not dragging their heels over 7 spots in the draft.

We have 8 off the list
Stevens and Hunter on
Campbell and Johannisen upgraded

Picks 5, 6, 22 & 44 (or 51).

Rookies are back to 4 this year so if Austin, Jong, Redpath and Greenwood are all retained, we would have no rookie picks at all.

I think we need to free up another spot on our list and elevate Jong as well.

Skinner should go.

Sedat
23-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Skinner should go.
I'm no fan of Skinner's but I'd rather trade Sherman and his higher salary off the list and front load the key salaries in the list - or why not do both?

jeemak
23-10-2012, 09:53 PM
How petty

Petty of us, or petty of WCE?

I can imagine there'd be posters on WestCoastShouldSeceed.com that would be saying they should stick to their guns.

Who are Melbourne committed to in the PSD, if anyone?

Maddog37
23-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Maybe Rodan?

divvydan
23-10-2012, 10:00 PM
What if we compromised and gave them #44 (which I'm okay with by itself anyway) and then swapped their Lynch compensation pick for our 4th rd pick. I.e. #44 and #71 for their #62?

GVGjr
23-10-2012, 10:12 PM
We have 8 off the list
Stevens and Hunter on

Rookies are back to 4 this year so if Austin, Jong, Redpath and Greenwood are all retained, we would have no rookie picks at all.

Skinner should go.

I think they need to chop two more but I think it's unlikely.

Would you really promote Jong? I'd prefer Austin

F'scary
23-10-2012, 10:42 PM
I think they need to chop two more but I think it's unlikely.

Would you really promote Jong? I'd prefer Austin

Austin could be promoted from rookie list like 2012 if there is a long term injury to a defender.

Jong looked like he is worth a place on the senior list.

GVGjr
23-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Austin could be promoted from rookie list like 2012 if there is a long term injury to a defender.

Jong looked like he is worth a place on the senior list.

I see it the other way around. Austin gives us the opportunity to potentially use Williams as a forward whereas I think because we are chasing Stevens it is an indication that Jong needs another season as a rookie.

1eyedog
23-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I see it the other way around. Austin gives us the opportunity to potentially use Williams as a forward whereas I think because we are chasing Stevens it is an indication that Jong needs another season as a rookie.

With Lake gone both Williams and Austin will need to play back now.

Sockeye Salmon
23-10-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm no fan of Skinner's but I'd rather trade Sherman and his higher salary off the list and front load the key salaries in the list - or why not do both?

Who on earth would take Sherman's salary? The only way another club would take him is if we still paid him - and then no-one is going to give us a draft pick we could use anyway.

I'd happily elevate Austin instead. I think they are both ahead of Skinner.

bornadog
23-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Skinner should go.

or Vez

ledge
24-10-2012, 12:07 AM
With Lake gone both Williams and Austin will need to play back now.

Williams will play forward along with murphy next year

azabob
24-10-2012, 12:21 AM
or Vez

Gee BAD you really don't rate Vez at all!

jeemak
24-10-2012, 12:36 AM
or Vez

Is Vez a Bmac problem or an effort, habbit, maturity and ability problem?

I'm not sure either way.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Is Vez a Bmac problem or an effort, habbit, maturity and ability problem?

I'm not sure either way.

I think it's pretty obvious it's not McCartney's fault given Eade and Roos couldn't get much out of him, either.

It's been well documented that his endurance is really poor. Beyond that, he's certainly not a defender.

If we keep him, he needs to play forward.

jeemak
24-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I think I agree with you.

Though, the last part of your post probably poses a question about his management over the last year at least.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I think I agree with you.

Though, the last part of your post probably poses a question about his management over the last year at least.

I think it was a worthwhile experiment playing him off half back. He's still young and inexperienced, plus he had struggled to have an impact as a forward. Although it ultimately failed, I see the merit in why we trialed it. On paper playing off the HB gets you more involved and he is somebody who likes to carry the ball and he can kick sixty metres. Unfortunately he can't defend, his endurance was still poor and he often bombed the ball to nobody in particular.

He's an accurate kick for goal from what I've seen and he's quick on the lead. Hopefully we throw him back up there, it's his only chance to make the grade.

jeemak
24-10-2012, 02:00 AM
I think it was a worthwhile experiment playing him off half back. He's still young and inexperienced, plus he had struggled to have an impact as a forward. Although it ultimately failed, I see the merit in why we trialed it. On paper playing off the HB gets you more involved and he is somebody who likes to carry the ball and he can kick sixty metres. Unfortunately he can't defend, his endurance was still poor and he often bombed the ball to nobody in particular.

He's an accurate kick for goal from what I've seen and he's quick on the lead. Hopefully we throw him back up there, it's his only chance to make the grade.

Unfortunately these are things you only really find out when you put somebody in the deep end.

My concern with his management in 2012 was centered around his lack of opportunity in a forward line that lacked effectiveness and potency. Having Gia, Dickson and Higgins being more effective in those areas was always going to count against him though, considering our tendency to play tall forwards otherwise. I recall him kicking a goal or two against the Swans when we got nailed by 90 pts, after playing back but not getting too many opportunities after that (happy for someone to show me stats that demonstrate he was after that game, though).

Agree he is better suited forward of centre. If he gets his tank up to a reasonable standard I think he could play a floating half forward role, though from what I've seen it's a big if at this stage.

For some reason though, I like him, and I want him to do well.

ledge
24-10-2012, 10:07 AM
No same player just getting more opportunity because we are a worse side and he suits the style of the coach.

He is actually at the perfect age to start showing his potential.

G-Mo77
24-10-2012, 10:07 AM
We have 8 off the list
Stevens and Hunter on

Skinner should go.

Good point about the reduction of rookies listed.

It's been mentioned a couple of times by JMac that Redpath would be retained. I think 3 of the 4 should be elevated as well. If we can manage to offload Sherman or even Vez (BAD and I would both celebrate) and some late delistings (Skinner, Panos) then we could elevate all 4 rookies that played last season. If we get Stevens we'd still get to take 5 or 6 picks in the National Draft and have 2 rookie selections assuming Greenwood is retained in that scenario.

Hotdog60
24-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Good point about the reduction of rookies listed.

It's been mentioned a couple of times by JMac that Redpath would be retained. I think 3 of the 4 should be elevated as well. If we can manage to offload Sherman or even Vez (BAD and I would both celebrate) and some late delistings (Skinner, Panos) then we could elevate all 4 rookies that played last season. If we get Stevens we'd still get to take 5 or 6 picks in the National Draft and have 2 rookie selections assuming Greenwood is retained in that scenario.

Can we use picks 89,107 and 125 for rookies?

G-Mo77
24-10-2012, 10:32 AM

Yep. It's my understanding another pick will open up even later in the 8th round if we have extra empty spots.

I'd like to go with 6 empty spots 5 picks and have 1 selection in the PSD.

EasternWest
24-10-2012, 10:36 AM

I'm with you GVG. The likelihood that we'll need to use Austin in the seniors is greater than if we'd need to use Jong. Plus Austin is probably good enough to play seniors, whereas Jong has areas he needs to improve. Don't get me wrong, I love Jong, and I think he'll make it, but he needs further development.

Dancin' Douggy
24-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I think it's pretty obvious it's not McCartney's fault given Eade and Roos couldn't get much out of him, either.

It's been well documented that his endurance is really poor. Beyond that, he's certainly not a defender.

If we keep him, he needs to play forward.

Vez needs to do a 'Jobe Watson' and salvage his career.

Mantis
24-10-2012, 11:34 AM

Reports are we are hoping to use pick 44 to trade in someone else.

bornadog
24-10-2012, 11:37 AM

any ideas who?

1eyedog
24-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Williams will play forward along with murphy next year

Well then we are in for an out and out s*it fight down back next season aren't we.
No Lake, No Morris, No Williams, No Murphy.

So it will be somethig like Roughie, Austin, Wood, Vez/Higgins down there?

Prepare for a 15 goal drubbing most weeks.

chef
24-10-2012, 11:41 AM
any ideas who?

Toy perhaps

G-Mo77
24-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Toy perhaps

That was my first thought as well.

SlimPickens
24-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Well then we are in for an out and out s*it fight down back next season aren't we.

Talia, Roberts not part of the equation?

always right
24-10-2012, 11:58 AM

I imagine Williams might be used as a swingman. I share your concern but have you written off Morris, Talia, Marcovic and Roberts? The first two would be in our best 22 I would have thought based on Morris having a strong pre-season and Talia continuing to show the promise we saw last year.

LostDoggy
24-10-2012, 12:01 PM
S McKernan from Adelaide

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2012, 12:10 PM
For some reason though, I like him, and I want him to do well.

Ditto.

I've been a fan of his for a while and would love to see him make it.

He's a really nice guy too.

Axe Man
24-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Yep. It's my understanding another pick will open up even later in the 8th round if we have extra empty spots.

I'd like to go with 6 empty spots 5 picks and have 1 selection in the PSD.

:confused: Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean here but you can not draft rookies in the national draft. That's what the rookie draft is for. There's no way we will be using the picks in the 100s, after rookie promotions we won't have that many free primary list places.

LostDoggy
24-10-2012, 12:41 PM
:confused: Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean here but you can not draft rookies in the national draft. That's what the rookie draft is for. There's no way we will be using the picks in the 100s, after rookie promotions we won't have that many free primary list places.

You need to use picks in the National Draft to upgrade your current rookies to the primary list.

Axe Man
24-10-2012, 12:45 PM
You need to use picks in the National Draft to upgrade your current rookies to the primary list.

Yeah I realise that, if that's what Hotdog and G-Mo were meaning then that clears up my confusion, thanks.

bornadog
24-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Tweets coming through its a done deal, but waiting for confirmation

ledge
24-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Tweets coming through its a done deal, but waiting for confirmation

What is the deal?

azabob
24-10-2012, 01:11 PM

Reports from a reputable source or uni students?

azabob
24-10-2012, 01:12 PM
S McKernan from Adelaide

Hunch or have you heard something? I thought they may want to keep him since Tippett has moved on.

bornadog
24-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Reports from a reputable source or uni students?

You should know that Mantis does not listen to Uni students.;)

bornadog
24-10-2012, 01:22 PM
KOBY Stevens is officially a Western Bulldog.

The Dogs and West Coast today struck a deal that secured Stevens’ path home to Victoria, a week after the 21-year chose the Whitten Oval as his destination.

The Dogs gave up pick No.44 to the Eagles for the midfielder in an agreement that comes two days before the trade deadline.

The clubs also swapped picks later in the draft.

Stevens is an inside-midfielder who once captained an AIS-AFL tour of Europe, but he played only 11 games in three years at West Coast given their strong midfield and injury problems.

His reputation as a contested ball aggressor seems to align perfectly with Dogs coach Brendan McCartney’s philosophy.

Essendon and St Kilda were also interested in Stevens, who was originally taken by West Coast with pick No.22 in the 2009 national draft.

WB4Life
24-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm fine with this, hope Kobe flourish's for the dogs and becomes a star!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-10-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm guessing we thought that if he went to the pre season draft then either GWS, GC or Melbourne might've snagged him. Otherwise I don't understand why we didn't play harder and stick to our offer of pick 51.

Remi Moses
24-10-2012, 02:10 PM
No same player just getting more opportunity because we are a worse side and he suits the style of the coach.

Maybe that's true but most would admit he's improved.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Hunch or have you heard something? I thought they may want to keep him since Tippett has moved on.

Echoed.

If it was a chance, I'd love to get McKernan.

LostDoggy
24-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Just thoughts around McKernan (hypothetical) if White goes to Adelaide.
Dont shoot me, I know how non-credible these guys are, but some talk on TWR earlier this week around where McKernan fits it the structure with Walker, Jenkins, White, Jacobs, Graham, filling KPF / Ruck and back up duties between them. i.e.

Bulldog4life
24-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Happy with the trade. Welcome aboard Koby.

KT31
24-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Koby.

GVGjr
24-10-2012, 07:14 PM
He is actually at the perfect age to start showing his potential.

Addison got his opportunities because we had a lot of injuries and we didn't have a list full of senior players. To that end he performed well.
He has to improve though to hold his spot in the side.

Stevens is a nice addition to the side

KT31
24-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Addison got his opportunities because we had a lot of injuries and we didn't have a list full of senior players. To that end he performed well.
He has to improve though to hold his spot in the side.

Stevens is a nice addition to the side

I agree Stevens looks to be an excellent pick up.
DFA did perform well last season and played a couple of games at a level I never thought he had.
Still a bit to go though.
Am I still allowed to call him DFA, just for old times sake ?

GVGjr
24-10-2012, 07:41 PM
I agree Stevens looks to be an excellent pick up.
DFO did perform well last season and played a couple of games at a level I never thought he had.
Still a bit to go though.
Am I still allowed to call him DFO, just for old times sake ?

I think you mean DFA

KT31
24-10-2012, 07:45 PM
I think you mean DFA

Bloody auto correct, I did and have corrected for accuracy.:o
Although DFO seems to suit as well.:)

Ghost Dog
24-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I like Stevens. With him and Clay Smith giving a few years of injury free service, going to get our share of Ball and tackles!

GVGjr
24-10-2012, 07:51 PM
I like Stevens. With him and Clay Smith giving a few years of injury free service, going to get our share of Ball and tackles!

Put some decent speedsters around the boys and we will be a sharp outfit in the near future.

LostDoggy
24-10-2012, 08:08 PM

Maybe they can have a tackle competition between themselves like the Mooney/Stevie J goal assist thing they had going on.

azabob
24-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Just thoughts around McKernan (hypothetical) if White goes to Adelaide.
Dont shoot me, I know how non-credible these guys are, but some talk on TWR earlier this week around where McKernan fits it the structure with Walker, Jenkins, White, Jacobs, Graham, filling KPF / Ruck and back up duties between them. i.e.

Not shooting you, would love him. Fingers crossed, just can't see it happening.

China Dog
24-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Koby Stevens is a great addition to the club, wish we could pick-up a couple of others like Ben Jacobs and Josh Toy.

GVGjr
24-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Koby Stevens is a great addition to the club, wish we could pick-up a couple of others like Ben Jacobs and Josh Toy.

Now he would be a great addition. Very unlikely though

jeemak
25-10-2012, 02:33 AM
Put some decent speedsters around the boys and we will be a sharp outfit in the near future.

I can't help but feel the same way.

With Dahlhaus developing into a smarter finder and better user of the ball as he gets stronger and fitter, as well as Griffen we're getting close to a decent balance of midfield talent and prospective talent. If Cooney could put together games of solid performances we'll only be one or two polished midfielders away from having a very densely and diversely talented midfield in the making.

I checked out the clip of Stevens and I really do like what I see of him. He seems to move into his ball usage by foot with purpose and limited apprehension.

Mofra
25-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Otherwise I don't understand why we didn't play harder and stick to our offer of pick 51.
His manager said a pick in the 30s would get him to the club of his choice during week 1 of trade week.
Regardless of posturing, pick 44 seems a pretty good deal at this stage.

Ghost Dog
25-10-2012, 12:35 PM

Rubbing my hands in anticipation of above. Kudos to the club for creating an environment that would attract such a quality young bloke.

1eyedog
25-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Not obviously sold on Stevens, don't see huge upside from the footage I have seen or his stats at WAFL level. Is strong, sets examples and is young so worth having him at the club to see if he can make a contribution.

bornadog
10-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Stevens impressive in Bulldogs' loss (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stevens-impressive-in-bulldogs-loss-20130310-2fto5.html)

Koby Stevens did his chances of debuting for the Western Bulldogs against Brisbane in round one no harm on Saturday.
The former West Coast Eagle was clearly the Dogs best player in their 109 thumping at the hands of Fremantle in Mandurah.
Stevens, starved for opportunities with the Eagles, had 23 touches in the midfield for the Dogs, seven clearances and carried the ball inside 50 four times.

They are not bad stats coming from a side that was smashed in every facet of the game by the Dockers.

The Western Bulldogs played a young side against the Dockers, with Adam Cooney the only recognisable experienced player among the midfield group.

Stevens was traded by the Eagles to the Bulldogs for Draft pick 43 at the end of last season. He played only 11 games in three season while with West Coast, but also had his share of injuries.
''Koby Stevens showed us he is a good acquisition for us,'' Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney said.''I think he will (another inside ball winner for us). We have a lot of depth in that area, although it didn't look like it today.
''Add to that he can play in other parts of the ground.

''He was craving an opportunity (at West Coast) and we can give him one.''
McCartney said the Dogs had been impressed with Stevens, now 21, since his outstanding performances in the Under-18 competition.
''He plays the game,'' McCartney said when asked what he liked about Stevens. ''He hunts the ball, is aggressive and he plays to win.''

stefoid
11-03-2013, 12:19 AM
More to the point, Stevens had a pretty good disposal efficiency.

F'scary
11-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Kobe "the Earthquake" Stevens. Like.

bornadog
02-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Played well on Saturday without staring, before his injury. Hopefully he will be ok for next week.

LostDoggy
02-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Loved his game on the weekend till the end. Loss all cred when he didn't know one word of the team song.

Needs time in the 2s till he learns the song. Come on Koby, my 6yo knows it.

Greystache
02-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Played well on Saturday without staring, before his injury. Hopefully he will be ok for next week.

I was very impressed with him early. He won several clearances in the first quarter and gave us great momentum. His clearances were also quite targeted, not just blind bombs out of the centre, he seemed to have good composure.

LostDoggy
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Loved his game on the weekend till the end. Loss all cred when he didn't know one word of the team song.

Needs time in the 2s till he learns the song. Come on Koby, my 6yo knows it.

Probably wasnt expecting to have to know it for a while!:D

Twodogs
02-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I was very impressed with him early. He won several clearances in the first quarter and gave us great momentum. His clearances were also quite targeted, not just blind bombs out of the centre, he seemed to have good composure.

Agree. He lowered his eyes every time he got the ball and put it to our advantage. I think that one thing every player on the park did on saturday was block and make time and space for the ball carrier to use the ball well.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Jon Ralph from the Herald Sun teweeted this:

@RalphyHeraldSun: NEWS: Dogs win the race for Koby Stevens. Hard inside mid, former no. 22 pick. Told the Dogs last night. Details on http://t.co/8fDNgNF8

@RalphyHeraldSun: Dogs going to like West Coasts Stevens. Hard at it, been cruelled by injury, now the two clubs need to work on a trade. Will get done though

@SammyHeraldSun: Koby Stevens has told West Coast he wants to be traded to the Western Bulldogs to get greater opportunity. Details at http://t.co/l1ZtY5vx

@RalphyHeraldSun: @SammyHeraldSun
Not sure how good he is yet but great pedigree, battled injury + leadership. Fact so many Vic clubs wanted him says a lot
Bit of a man crush on Koby. God I love his attack on the ball, absolutely god damn fearless. Need more like him!

azabob
25-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Bit of a man crush on Koby. God I love his attack on the ball, absolutely god damn fearless. Need more like him!

He was so good and so important tonight. Great to see reward for effort. So important with his three goals. Thought he was close to, if not our best tonight.

Greystache
25-05-2013, 09:29 PM
I liked when he had a player caught under the ball that he didn't just try to spoil, he attacked with intent to hurt.

EasternWest
25-05-2013, 09:50 PM
I liked when he had a player caught under the ball that he didn't just try to spoil, he attacked with intent to hurt.

Yeah I agree. Played it fair and hard and crunched him.

comrade
25-05-2013, 09:57 PM
There was some great bash and crash from our guys tonight.

Early on Farren Ray got crunched in a Clay Smith-Dylan Addison sandwich and I giggled like a schoolgirl.

Greystache
25-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Early on Farren Ray got crunched in a Clay Smith-Dylan Addison sandwich and I giggled like a schoolgirl.

Did you see when Stevens kicked his 3rd he chased Farren of the ground giving him a spray? It was gold!

Sedat
25-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Did you see when Stevens kicked his 3rd he chased Farren of the ground giving him a spray? It was gold!
We've been far too polite in recent history. I enjoyed seeing some of that unsociable football that other clubs are noted for. When Tiprat got stuck into McCrae for crunching him in a tackle (that was illegal by the way), we had 2-3 players give it right back to him with interest. Was very satisfying to see McCrae return the favour and catch Tiprat holding the ball a few minutes later.

whythelongface
25-05-2013, 11:42 PM
We've been far too polite in recent history. I enjoyed seeing some of that unsociable football that other clubs are noted for. When Tiprat got stuck into McCrae for crunching him in a tackle (that was illegal by the way), we had 2-3 players give it right back to him with interest. Was very satisfying to see McCrae return the favour and catch Tiprat holding the ball a few minutes later.

Agree. I want to see more of it and be a really hard team.

Back on Stevens. He is a hard nut and does not take a backward step. There was one great chase and tackle on the wing which, I think, lead to a holding the ball free.

MrMahatma
26-05-2013, 02:47 AM
Loooooove it

angelopetraglia
26-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Showed some real poise last night to steady and kick those two running goals after selling some candy, really goods signs. More than one element to his game.

LostDoggy
26-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Be careful, at a St Kilda match…

Mofra
26-05-2013, 11:36 AM
I like hearing that. I only heard 3/4s on radio then relied on the AFL app.
Great to see a 21 year old who hasn't had a decent run at it finally take his chances at AFL level

Twodogs
26-05-2013, 11:56 AM

Hehehe! No wonder the St Kilds players were distracted.

Well done comrade for taking one for the team! ;)

boydogs
26-05-2013, 12:41 PM

Haha :D

LostDoggy
27-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I was absolutely stoked when we picked up Koby during the trade period this year.

However, after the game against Gold Coast and the first 8 weeks of the season i was really doubting what he offered us, i didn't see where exactly he fit into our team structure and if he would be the player I initially thought.

Then this week! Wow! He certaintly showed me. What a game the kid played. 67% game time shows just how hard he was running himself into the ground. Let's hope this game can be a real turning point for him. He should know have the belief he can have a big impact on matches now.

G-Mo77
27-05-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't think you were alone Jaytee, I know I thought the same after the GC game. It was kind of a theme in here as well. Good to see him break out, hopefully plenty more to come!

LostDoggy
27-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Was my defining moment of the match. Got home and replayed it five times.

immortalmike
27-05-2013, 04:16 PM
I loved his game on the weekend but does anyone feel he won't be elite unless he learns to one grab the ball. Some of his fumbles were pretty costly, and it seems to happen weekly.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 07:27 PM
I loved his game on the weekend but does anyone feel he won't be elite unless he learns to one grab the ball. Some of his fumbles were pretty costly, and it seems to happen weekly.

We probably wouldn't have landed him if he had an elite game. Consistency is the key but his best is very good.

I agree with your assessment.

jeemak
28-05-2013, 02:45 AM

We probably wouldn't have landed him if he had an elite game. Consistency is the key but his best is very good.

I agree with your assessment.

There's not many elite players in the game as it is, let alone those available for mid draft range trades.

He doesn't have to be elite to contribute on a regular basis. In time, as the team builds he'll be another contributor who's weekly efforts will be supplemented by those of very good players and work horses.

Remi Moses
28-05-2013, 02:51 AM
Best game of his career . A few on BF WC fans, said he didn't train as hard as he could.
Maybe the penny has dropped for Kobe.

MrMahatma
28-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Confidence might see him step up again. I wouldn't put a real cap on a guy who is getting a first prolonged crack at seniors. Has some flaws, sure, but reckon they aren't terminal and can be improved. Is a good mix of inside and out. Not quick but not a one trick pony either.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Best game of his career . A few on BF WC fans, said he didn't train as hard as he could.
Maybe the penny has dropped for Kobe.

Koby Stevens said that this was his first pre-season that he wasn't injured. It certainly made a difference.

Raw Toast
29-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Koby Stevens said that this was his first pre-season that he wasn't injured. It certainly made a difference.

Yes, hampered by injuries at West Coast and not until late last season that he was able to start running with power again.

As I mentioned when we recruited him, a mate of mine who helps out recruiting for another team told me that the Stevens trade was the best deal of the trade period. I must confess, I was starting to doubt a little, but the game he had this week was super-impressive, and he's still got lots of improvement in him as well.

Ghost Dog
29-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Yes, hampered by injuries at West Coast and not until late last season that he was able to start running with power again.

As I mentioned when we recruited him, a mate of mine who helps out recruiting for another team told me that the Stevens trade was the best deal of the trade period. I must confess, I was starting to doubt a little, but the game he had this week was super-impressive, and he's still got lots of improvement in him as well.

The fact he wanted to come here speaks volumes. A lot of teams would have had him.

boydogs
29-05-2013, 08:50 PM
The fact he wanted to come here speaks volumes. A lot of teams would have had him.

It's the fact a lot of teams would have had him that speaks volumes.

stefoid
29-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Only 21 - same age as libba and wallis. Plenty of improvement left.

bornadog
29-05-2013, 10:03 PM

His family and Clay Smiths are friends, plus the boys played junior footy for the same club.

Dancin' Douggy
30-05-2013, 10:44 AM
If that game is a sign of things to come.......WOW.

Only 21 but plays with the physicality, poise and aggression of a hardened veteran.

Maybe we should be feeding all our lads Pattie's Pies.

bornadog
30-05-2013, 10:51 AM
If that game is a sign of things to come.......WOW.

Only 21 but plays with the physicality, poise and aggression of a hardened veteran.

Maybe we should be feeding all our lads Pattie's Pies.

22 in a few weeks time, but still young. We recruited pretty well with Koby and Tom Young (21 yrs old) and Nick Lower is still 25. These guys should be around for a long time.

Hotdog60
31-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Koby has signed on until the end of 2016.

For those who are not fans you will have to endure for a couple more years.

Congrates on 50 games today Koby.

bornadog
31-08-2014, 01:30 PM

Decision making and disposal still a big worry. Still young and a replacement for Boyd.

Hotdog60
31-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Decision making and disposal still a big worry. Still young and a replacement for Boyd.

True, I like that he's hard at it. The downside is his disposal at times. I wonder when the side improves so will Koby.

GVGjr
31-08-2014, 01:36 PM
It's a good move, he still has plenty of upside.

Scorlibo
31-08-2014, 01:41 PM

Well deserved I say. He might have some serious flaws in his game, but he's got some serious positives as well. In particular, his power running will often be on show long after every other player has gone back into their shell - he takes the game on. With his big body and hardness around the footy he could be one of those players who makes a career on being a point of difference in the midfield and forward line, in the Max Rooke mould.

The Underdog
31-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Awesome news. I view him as the inverse Jack Macrae. Not much credit for the things he does well and an excess of criticism for the mistakes he makes.

The Underdog
31-08-2014, 02:16 PM
True, I like that he's hard at it. The downside is his disposal at times. I wonder when the side improves so will Koby.

It's a fair question. I think his disposal is generally on the good side of Boyd level but he can make glaring errors. He certainly won't die wondering. And if he's the 25th - 30th best player on the list by then, our depth will be pretty damn solid.

boydogs
31-08-2014, 02:37 PM
I think his disposal is generally on the good side of Boyd level but he can make glaring errors.

I think it's decision making more so than execution with Koby.

ratsmac
31-08-2014, 04:06 PM
I think it's decision making more so than execution with Koby.

Yep definitely. He doesn't have that Scott West style vision (but not many do) and he often runs himself into trouble and he ends up with too much unnecessary pressure on his disposal. He is at his best when he can run in a straight line kicking long at goal. I like him playing half forward and not so much in the middle.

I am happy with him sticking around for a few more years. Plenty of upside.

soupman
31-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Something to his credit that hasn't been acknowledged is that in the second half of this season he has really managed to cut down on the amountof hospital passes (by hand and foot) he gives to his teammates.

He has really cut down on either the handball to someone about to be tackled or the handball to their feet which were two very bad limitations.

I love the way he bashes and crashes in packs, he has similarities to Mitch Hahn and does play a bit like a KPP at times. Pleased that we picked him up and I think he will be a good player for us long term.

Mofra
31-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Happy to have him sign for 2 more years - we know he has little peripheral vision but his good definitely outweighs his bad.

Greystache
01-09-2014, 12:10 AM
2 more years is about right. If he improves in that time he'll get another contract. If he doesn't, other players will have gone past him.

SonofScray
01-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Koby has earned his spot. I'm not convinced he has the quality to stay in our best 22 over a long period, but for now he is and he brings what we need to the table. Clangers aside, I enjoy watching him play.

Can see him playing back up to a fit Clay Smith in time, who will perform the same role but just at a level or two above.