PDA

View Full Version : The Western Bulldogs will take their prized selections to the AFL draft

Throughandthrough
24-10-2012, 09:23 PM
THE Western Bulldogs will take their three prized selections to the draft after ruling out any last-minute trades for them and declaring they "need to hit the target".

KOBY Stevens' TAC Cup club says the Western Bulldogs have just acquired a tough and fearless midfield wrecking ball on the cheap...End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
The Dogs hold picks 5, 6 and 22 – the best clutch of first-round picks outside of wooden spoon side Greater Western Sydney – and have already secured Lachie Hunter under the father-son rule and brutal West Coast midfielder Koby Stevens.

rest http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/the-western-bulldogs-will-take-their-prized-selections-to-the-afl-draft/story-fnahrqwo-1226502625148

bornadog
24-10-2012, 11:18 PM
THE Western Bulldogs will take their three prized selections to the draft after ruling out any last-minute trades for them and declaring they "need to hit the target".

KOBY Stevens' TAC Cup club says the Western Bulldogs have just acquired a tough and fearless midfield wrecking ball on the cheap...End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
The Dogs hold picks 5, 6 and 22 – the best clutch of first-round picks outside of wooden spoon side Greater Western Sydney – and have already secured Lachie Hunter under the father-son rule and brutal West Coast midfielder Koby Stevens.

rest http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/the-western-bulldogs-will-take-their-prized-selections-to-the-afl-draft/story-fnahrqwo-1226502625148

Not bad, 5, 6, 22, in the first round, plus Stevens and Hunter and we can use pick 51 to either trade for another player or in the draft. Best position we have been in for a long time.

westdog54
24-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Not bad, 5, 6, 22, in the first round, plus Stevens and Hunter and we can use pick 51 to either trade for another player or in the draft. Best position we have been in for a long time.

Agree its a pretty good result. We'll get Hunter at a bargain price and 3 nice, early picks, with quality running reasonably deep in that part of the draft. I think we've done reasonably well.

ledge
24-10-2012, 11:26 PM

My opinion too BAD I really think the club is heading in a great direction our selections last year were pretty good. Hard at it types with good head on their shoulders who want to learn and can play.

Ghost Dog
24-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Let's not forget pick 71! Brian Lake was 72 you see so this year, we go one better!

westdog54
24-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Let's not forget pick 71! Brian Lake was 72 you see so this year, we go one better!

Actually, Brian was 71 as well.

Sedat
24-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Let's hope we can draft 3 players who can do this by foot. Good chance for Dalrymple to get stuck into some high picks and unearth some gems.

bornadog
24-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Actually, Brian was 71 as well.

An omen pick:p

GVGjr
24-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Let's hope we can draft 3 players who can do this by foot. Good chance for Dalrymple to get stuck into some high picks and unearth some gems.

He's done very well with some later selections but you are a 100% spot on that he needs to get these early ones right.

Some skillful players on draft day would certainly be a great addition.

azabob
24-10-2012, 11:39 PM

I think he will, hopefully he gets four picks, he has a good eye for talent.
Having said that BMAC is a big believer that once you get past pick 40 odd the odds of making it are a lot, lot less. So we may trade pick 51 also.

ledge
24-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Let's also remember playing in 3 prelims didn't give us high draft picks so we were like hawthorn are now, forced to recruit older players because the picks we had didn't weigh up to players who had been in the system a few years and the premiership window was open.

bornadog
24-10-2012, 11:40 PM
I think he will, hopefully he gets four picks, he has a good eye for talent.
Having said that BMAC is a big believer that once you get past pick 40 odd the odds of making it are a lot, lot less. So we may trade pick 51 also.

Josh Toy?

see here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150210/default.aspx)

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm undecided on Toy.

The heart condition is a real concern, although reports are that it has been blown out of the water a little in reference to that "100 bpm" comment made by a doctor.

He hasn't shown anything at AFL level and he was physically developed in the U18s compared to his peers.

I'd probably pass.

azabob
24-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Josh Toy?

see here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150210/default.aspx)

Could well be. His problem is getting the footy, and plus he may push our mate Vez out! :D

bornadog
24-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Could well be. His problem is getting the footy, and plus he may push our mate Vez out! :D

New thread started on Toy.

Topdog
25-10-2012, 08:12 AM

I know what you mean but that still made me chuckle. It's an awful position but a great position at the same time.

Throughandthrough
25-10-2012, 09:40 AM

Which regular League players from 2012 will struggle to get a game in 2013, due to the selections?

Hopefully Stevens is a walk up start, at least.

Mofra
25-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Which regular League players from 2012 will struggle to get a game in 2013, due to the selections?

Hopefully Stevens is a walk up start, at least.
All bar two players (and two rookies) played in the senior side in 2012 so I'm not sure we had too many settled players anyway.

Lake is gone and Gia can't play through injury anymore so will miss games - and I still don't think Campbell and Minson can play in the same side.

LostDoggy
25-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Let's also remember playing in 3 prelims didn't give us high draft picks so we were like hawthorn are now, forced to recruit older players because the picks we had didn't weigh up to players who had been in the system a few years and the premiership window was open.

I often wonder whether we spent more time in research on the guys expecting to go late, knowing we had no really good early picks.

China Dog
25-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Some press this morning saying we have done a deal for Tom Young from Collingwood for a late draft pick. Does anyone know much about him? I think he played a few senior games this season.

azabob
25-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Some press this morning saying we have done a deal for Tom Young from Collingwood for a late draft pick. Does anyone know much about him? I think he played a few senior games this season.

There is a thread on him, if you haven't found it yet.

DragzLS1
26-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Late picks we always do well, its top 10 picks we need to nail which is my concern :s

ledge
28-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Late picks we always do well, its top 10 picks we need to nail which is my concern :s

Interesting point, what draft rounds do we actually stuff up
On?
Not sure it's the top 10 we haven't had many lately Griffen and Cooney were great is it more between 10 and 20?
Be a good stat to look up and keep an eye on see if we have a pattern.

Sedat
28-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Interesting point, what draft rounds do we actually stuff up
On?
Not sure it's the top 10 we haven't had many lately Griffen and Cooney were great is it more between 10 and 20?
Be a good stat to look up and keep an eye on see if we have a pattern.
Here you go Ledge. Our top 20 picks since 2000 - McMahon, Power, Walsh, Faulkner, Minson, Cooney, Ray, Griffen, Williams, Everitt, Grant, Ward, Cordy (f/s), Howard, Wallis (f/s), Smith. All of these selections except for Walsh, Coons, Ray, Griff, Williams, and Grant have been in that 10-20 range. We haven't nailed anywhere near enough, and it probably cost us a flag in 2008-2010 - those misses from 2000-2002 cost us big time when we were contending 8 years later.

The other factor that has hurt us has been the trading away of picks in the 20-40 region since 2000 for speculative talent, most of whom haven't provided long term value. It goes across multiple footy depts and coaches but some of these trades from the 2000-2003 period certainly didn't help when we were making our move in 2008.

Luckily we have been prolific with our late picks and rookie selections in that time.

dog town
28-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Here you go Ledge. Our top 20 picks since 2000 - McMahon, Power, Walsh, Faulkner, Minson, Cooney, Ray, Griffen, Williams, Everitt, Grant, Ward, Cordy (f/s), Howard, Wallis (f/s), Smith. All of these selections except for Walsh, Coons, Ray, Griff, Williams, and Grant have been in that 10-20 range. We haven't nailed anywhere near enough, and it probably cost us a flag in 2008-2010 - those misses from 2000-2002 cost us big time when we were contending 8 years later.

The other factor that has hurt us has been the trading away of picks in the 20-40 region since 2000 for speculative talent, most of whom haven't provided long term value. It goes across multiple footy depts and coaches but some of these trades from the 2000-2003 period certainly didn't help when we were making our move in 2008.

Luckily we have been prolific with our late picks and rookie selections in that time.

That is awful reading. I think recruiters get a bit too crafty early on sometimes. I think playing it safe and making sure you get value out of your top picks is always the best way to go. It makes this draft period an interesting proposition for us. We need some elite, match winning talent but we need to be careful we dont risk one of our first 2 picks on anything speculative.

ledge
28-10-2012, 10:05 PM
That is awful reading. I think recruiters get a bit too crafty early on sometimes. I think playing it safe and making sure you get value out of your top picks is always the best way to go. It makes this draft period an interesting proposition for us. We need some elite, match winning talent but we need to be careful we dont risk one of our first 2 picks on anything speculative.

We wont be speculating anymore with the system we have put in place now.