PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs - Tom Young

bornadog
25-10-2012, 11:54 AM
The Western Bulldogs today confirmed 20-year-old Collingwood utility Tom Young will join the Club for its fourth round pick of 71.

Signed as a NSW Scholarship Rookie, Young moved to Melbourne as a 17-year-old in 2010 and in his first season won the Collingwood VFL best and fairest — Young was subsequently drafted by the Magpies in the 2010 AFL Draft.

The 191cm Sydney University recruit went on to play nine games in two seasons at Collingwood, including seven in 2012, predominantly as a defender.

List Manager Jason McCartney said Young's fierce competitiveness and clean hands in close are some of the key attributes of the utility.

“We see him as a long-term prospect after he showed really promising signs at Collingwood over the past couple of seasons, particularly with his willingness to take the game on and his cleanness around the contest,” McCartney said.

“Along with Koby Stevens, Tom is a person of sound character and is a welcome addition to our list.”

Templeton31
25-10-2012, 11:54 AM
who?

Mofra
25-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Big bodied, turns the ball a bit over according to Collingwood fans. And he's a ranga.

Sounds like Lin Jong with a less interetsing story and less melatonin. Hopefully he's part of a specific strategy if we get him.

Topdog
25-10-2012, 11:57 AM
if it is after 51, good pick up

Hotdog60
25-10-2012, 11:58 AM
From the Collingwood site:

The Player - A smooth mover at half back and through the midfield, Young has spent the past two years building steadily in the club's VFL team. Although not overly fast, Young is a reliable decision maker with nice disposal and great awareness in heavy traffic. He uses his body well to avoid tackles and has been a key playmaker in the VFL over the past two years. Young has been in the Collingwood system since 2007 on a NSW Scholarship, meaning he was more familiar than most young players when he was added to the club's senior list. Made a big impression on debut against the Lions at the MCG and is one player who may become a senior regular in 2012.

Enjoyed another consistent season, playing 16 games in the VFL before he was finally rewarded with a senior call up in round 22 against the Brisbane Lions. Made a huge impression, winning 23 possessions and kicking two goals from the half back flank. Was used as the substitute in round 23 against Fremantle in Perth and was omitted the next week. Moves gracefully and never panics when in possession. Looks to be a long term prospect Pies fans can bank on. Also became the first noted redhead to play for Collingwood since Jason Wild (1995-1999), and took over Josh Fraser's No. 25 guernsey.

Moved to Melbourne and played for Collingwood’s VFL team as a 17-year-old. Wearing the No 49, Young had a superb season, playing all 19 matches, mostly at half back with occasional turns in the centre square. In a team full of stars such as Tarkyn Lockyer, Shane O’Bree and Josh Fraser, Young won the Joseph Wren Trophy as Best and Fairest player in Collingwood’s VFL team. In November, Young was officially promoted to the senior list with pick 104 in the National Draft.

Represented the Western Sydney Pioneers in the U18 state zone trials. Selected in the NSW-ACT U18s squad as a 16-year-old. Played senior football for Sydney University in the premier division of the Sydney AFL League.

Played for Campbelltown in the Sydney AFL League.

wimberga
25-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Young Collingwood utility Tom Young is set to be traded to the Western Bulldogs for a late draft pick.

Young, 20, a former NSW scholarship holder, played two games for the Magpies this season to add to the seven he played for Collingwood last year.

The 191cm, 91kg Magpie is on his way to the Western Bulldogs in exchange for the No.71 pick. The big-bodied player will bolster the Dogs' list after they also picked up Koby Stevens from West Coast.

In other likely moves, Sydney Campbell Heath is in talks with Port Adelaide about a possible move to Alberton.

From the Age

Anyone have any thoughts on this player? Haven't seen much of him but seems like we got him for cheap.

turtle
25-10-2012, 12:15 PM
From the Collingwood website

The Player - A smooth mover at half back and through the midfield, Young has spent the past two years building steadily in the club's VFL team. Although not overly fast, Young is a reliable decision maker with nice disposal and great awareness in heavy traffic. He uses his body well to avoid tackles and has been a key playmaker in the VFL over the past two years. Young has been in the Collingwood system since 2007 on a NSW Scholarship, meaning he was more familiar than most young players when he was added to the club's senior list. Made a big impression on debut against the Lions at the MCG and is one player who may become a senior regular in 2012.

Enjoyed another consistent season, playing 16 games in the VFL before he was finally rewarded with a senior call up in round 22 against the Brisbane Lions. Made a huge impression, winning 23 possessions and kicking two goals from the half back flank. Was used as the substitute in round 23 against Fremantle in Perth and was omitted the next week. Moves gracefully and never panics when in possession. Looks to be a long term prospect Pies fans can bank on. Also became the first noted redhead to play for Collingwood since Jason Wild (1995-1999), and took over Josh Fraser's No. 25 guernsey.

Moved to Melbourne and played for Collingwood’s VFL team as a 17-year-old. Wearing the No 49, Young had a superb season, playing all 19 matches, mostly at half back with occasional turns in the centre square. In a team full of stars such as Tarkyn Lockyer, Shane O’Bree and Josh Fraser, Young won the Joseph Wren Trophy as Best and Fairest player in Collingwood’s VFL team. In November, Young was officially promoted to the senior list with pick 104 in the National Draft.

Represented the Western Sydney Pioneers in the U18 state zone trials. Selected in the NSW-ACT U18s squad as a 16-year-old. Played senior football for Sydney University in the premier division of the Sydney AFL League.

Played for Campbelltown in the Sydney AFL League.

Signed to Collingwood as a NSW Scholarship rookie as a 15-year-old. Originally from Bowral, Young was signed while playing for the Campbelltown Blues and had previously played for Wollondilly. Initially a part of the Magpies Academy U14 squad.

Debut
Round 22, 2011 v Brisbane at the MCG.

Draft History
2010 AFL National Draft (Collingwood) No. 104 overall as a NSW Scholarship holder.

Sedat
25-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on this player? Haven't seen much of him but seems like we got him for cheap.
This just in from one of my Collingwood mates...."he is s***, turns it over, not up to AFL"

I honestly wouldn't recognise him if he stood up in my cornflakes, but for pick 71 happy to go with the club on this one. My mate has been wrong before :D

bornadog
25-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Mods please merge this thread.

Posters, please check before starting up a new thread

bulldogsfight
25-10-2012, 12:25 PM
I rememeber seeing him come off the bench in a game last year , the commentators were raving that he is the quickets player at the pies.........he was run down in his first contetst ,
this is the red headed bloke ,correct??

1eyedog
25-10-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't know, he broke into a strong Collingwood side. 23 disposals and 2 goals in round 22 2011 suggests he can play. Pick 71? Why not!

Grantysghost
25-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I rememeber seeing him come off the bench in a game last year , the commentators were raving that he is the quickets player at the pies.........he was run down in his first contetst ,

Yep this is he ....

Tom Young Bio (http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/players/playerprofile/tomyoung/tabid/8170/playerid/22202/category/senior/season/2012/selected/bio/default.aspx)

Twodogs
25-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Mods please merge this thread.

Posters, please check before starting up a new thread

Done.

Collingwood obviously only had room for one Young. They got Clinton in so Tom had to go.

whythelongface
25-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I don't know, he broke into a strong Collingwood side. 23 disposals and 2 goals in round 22 2011 suggests he can play. Pick 71? Why not!

Exactly. Pick 71 is hit and miss anyway. Never seen him play but sounds ok.

Hotdog60
25-10-2012, 12:32 PM
We may have just saved this young lad form endless tattooed arm sleeves.:D

bornadog
25-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Done.

Collingwood obviously only had room for one Young. They got Clinton in so Tom had to go.

Thank you

Only 20 years old and already seen at AFL level unlike an unknown with pick 71.

Bulldog Revolution
25-10-2012, 12:37 PM

No, that is the irish guy

Ozza
25-10-2012, 12:41 PM
I remember that Brisbane game where he had 20 odd possessions and a couple of goals.

And I recall thinking - "Where do they keep finding these blokes, everyone who debuts for Collingwood comes straight in and plays well"

Needs to work on his kicking skills - but as others have said - 20 years old and has played at the level, for a pick we may or may not have used - is probably ok.

Bulldog4life
25-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Solid unit. For pick 71 could be a good pick up. Like his bio.

EasternWest
25-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Big bodied, turns the ball a bit over according to Collingwood fans. And he's a ranga.

Sounds like Lin Jong with a less interetsing story and less melatonin. Hopefully he's part of a specific strategy if we get him.

He sleeps better?

Think you might mean melanin.

Mofra
25-10-2012, 12:57 PM
He sleeps better?

Yup, you're right :o

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Exactly. Pick 71 is hit and miss anyway. Never seen him play but sounds ok.

I wonder why the Filth were keen to let him go for pick 71 if he's a good prospect? Are they perhaps in a rush to move someone on in order to make room for a last minute trade?

always right
25-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Meh...nothing to get excited about...but at pick 71, no damage either.

Twodogs
25-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Yep. We dont have any truck with tattoos in the western suburbs.

He sleeps better?

He'd sleep worse if he had less melatonin, wouldnt he?

AndrewP6
25-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Yep. We dont have any truck with tattoos in the western suburbs.

As a rule, yes.

F'scary
25-10-2012, 01:35 PM

ROFLMTAO: roll on floor laughing my tin arse off

bornadog
25-10-2012, 01:41 PM
First Goal in AFL

NbwkgIgfXrM

uSjCWqz7xuc

Scorlibo
25-10-2012, 01:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvdGtGtjm5k&feature=relmfu

I like the look of him, reasonably quick and makes good decisions.

Mantis
25-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Not all that enthused by this one. From I have seen (and from Collingwood folk) he isn't a great mover or a great kick.

Pick #71 is very much hit and miss...and many more misses than hits, but I would have preferred Dalrymple to try and pluck one here.

Here's hoping he goes ok.

bornadog
25-10-2012, 01:46 PM
oGeCit5Pz4Y

always right
25-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Not all that enthused by this one. From I have seen (and from Collingwood folk) he isn't a great mover or a great kick.

Pick #71 is very much hit and miss...and many more misses than hits, but I would have preferred Dalrymple to try and pluck one here.

It's funny isn't it? We write off late draft picks as hit and miss, yet our strike rate with rookies is surprisingly impressive. Just goes to show I guess that you can pick up gems anywhere....which makes the decision to pick up Young more risky than it would apear at face value.

bornadog
25-10-2012, 02:01 PM
It's funny isn't it? We write off late draft picks as hit and miss, yet our strike rate with rookies is surprisingly impressive. Just goes to show I guess that you can pick up gems anywhere....which makes the decision to pick up Young more risky than it would apear at face value.

I think Young is less risky as he has already played at AFL level with an impressive debut

G-Mo77
25-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Western Bulldogs get their outside player that uses the ball well. Tom Young uses it at 80% at AFL level.

Doom and gloom as usual on WOOF. :confused:

I don't know if I've seen him play or not personally. Friend of mine is a Pies nut thinks we raped them. Hope he does real well here.

Mantis
25-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Dalrymple has shown an ability to find players with late picks & rookie selections so that being the case I would prefer the unknown than the known.

EasternWest
25-10-2012, 02:26 PM

I.... I can't argue with your logic. I've been double doozied.

always right
25-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Dalrymple has shown an ability to find players with late picks & rookie selections so that being the case I would prefer the unknown than the known.

Tend to agree. The second video above, of him kicking the floater through for a goal sent shudders up my spine.:(

always right
25-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Western Bulldogs get their outside player that uses the ball well. Tom Young uses it at 80% at AFL level.

I don't know if I've seen him play or not personally. Friend of mine is a Pies nut thinks we raped them. Hope he does real well here.

To be fair, you can only go on what we've seen so far and he appears to have some deficiencies that are common amongst a number of our players. He doesn't appear to have any particular strength which is no doubt why we are only giving up pick 71.

Bulldog4life
25-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Tend to agree. The second video above, of him kicking the floater through for a goal sent shudders up my spine.:(

On the flip side his first goal was good kick.:)

bornadog
25-10-2012, 02:47 PM
On the flip side his first goal was good kick.:)

and 23 disposals in that game

Bulldog4life
25-10-2012, 02:53 PM
and 23 disposals in that game

That's right Bad. Let's look at the positives. With younger players changing Clubs you never know how things will turn out. You only have to look back at Peter Foster who couldn't crack it for a regular game with Fitzroy before he came to us. Even in his first year for us he played mainly reserves. Let's hope Tom can be a very good player for us.

jeemak
25-10-2012, 02:54 PM

Check out the footage of Rob Murphy's finish to seal a match against Carlton at Optus Oval when his career started out.

It was hardly indicative of his future ball use capability!

The Bulldogs Bite
25-10-2012, 02:54 PM
I don't mind this selection to be honest.

I've seen Young play a few times and he definitely has something to work with. He can find the footy and he plays positive. By that, I mean he likes to run and carry the football and bring others into the game. He moves well enough and is quicker than the average player. I think his skills are OK but it's still an area that needs improvement under pressure.

From what I've seen his decision making probably needs improving a bit, but he isn't hesitant/slow by mind, which is a good thing.

I'm surprised Collingwood let him go.

Twodogs
25-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Check out the footage of Rob Murphy's finish to seal a match against Carlton at Optus Oval when his career started out.

It was hardly indicative of his future ball use capability!

I remember it vividly. Trent Bartlett kicked the winner from about 15 metres out dead in front the dodgiest push in the back free kick decision I've ever seen after Murph (wearing #22) put us within touching distance with a goal late in the game.

The Carlton fans were ropable after the game. One of my favorite home and away games ever. I've got a picture of Rohan Smith pointing to the bulldog on his jumper in front of a bunch of foul looking Carlton supporters as he walked up the race along with Barlett-who is holding his arms aloft and Libba sneering at them looking like he'd take the lot of them on at once.

LostDoggy
25-10-2012, 03:22 PM

From what i've seen his decision making is pretty good, skills are also solid.

However the problem is when he made a mistake, it seemed to more often than not be a complete howler, eg costing a goal.

When you start off your career in that fashion, i guess every single little error will become very noticable to supporters.

I like the pick up, has alot of upside and potential.

Doc26
25-10-2012, 03:36 PM
This just in from one of my Collingwood mates...."he is s***, turns it over, not up to AFL"

Maybe we have the same Collingwood mate, mine said the same thing and added that he was extremely pleased that he's been removed from their list. Also added that he does 'crack in' but struggles a lot with pressure coming back the same way.

He has now changed his stripes so hopefully we can make a decent player out of him plus whipe the smirk of my Pies mate's face.

Welcome aboard Tom.

Sedat
25-10-2012, 03:37 PM
I remember it vividly. Trent Bartlett kicked the winner from about 15 metres out dead in front the dodgiest push in the back free kick decision I've ever seen after Murph (wearing #22) put us within touching distance with a goal late in the game.

The Carlton fans were ropable after the game. One of my favorite home and away games ever. I've got a picture of Rohan Smith pointing to the bulldog on his jumper in front of a bunch of foul looking Carlton supporters as he walked up the race along with Barlett-who is holding his arms aloft and Libba sneering at them looking like he'd take the lot of them on at once.
It was 27 frees to 9 that day - one of the great days at the footy. My mate and I were sitting in the Legend's Stand in front of Steve Wallis (and it must have been a young Mitch with him as well) and we were surrounded by a sea of navy blue meatheads. The Bob floater and the Bartlett dodgy free happened right in front of us, and we exploded when the siren sounded and let everyone in the stand know about the result. Our entire spine was out injured that game, and I reckon this coaching effort from Wallace was even better than the super-flood a couple of weeks later - he had Garlick isolated on Andrew McKay one-out in the goal square and he kicked 6 goals out of 11. He also had Nathan Brown as the spare man in defence and he cut off numerous attacking raids and distributed with precision upfield all day - probably his best game for the club.

bornadog
25-10-2012, 03:45 PM
It was 27 frees to 9 that day - one of the great days at the footy. My mate and I were sitting in the Legend's Stand in front of Steve Wallis (and it must have been a young Mitch with him as well) and we were surrounded by a sea of navy blue meatheads. The Bob floater and the Bartlett dodgy free happened right in front of us, and we exploded when the siren sounded and let everyone in the stand know about the result. Our entire spine was out injured that game, and I reckon this coaching effort from Wallace was even better than the super-flood a couple of weeks later - he had Garlick isolated on Andrew McKay one-out in the goal square and he kicked 6 goals out of 11. He also had Nathan Brown as the spare man in defence and he cut off numerous attacking raids and distributed with precision upfield all day - probably his best game for the club.

yeah I was there as well. We also used the super flood in that game. I remember when I got in on Monday morning to work, the Carlton supporters called us cheats for flooding so much. Ironic they were the club to be branded "The cheats" in years to come.

bornadog
25-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Pick 71 has gone to Carlton for Russell.

F'scary
25-10-2012, 03:52 PM

This ^^^^^ is good.

Maddog37
25-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Pick 71 has gone to Carlton for Russell.

Pies looking for a quick result whilst their "window" is still open. Simon Buckley is the same player and that has not really worked.

bornadog
25-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Pies looking for a quick result whilst their "window" is still open. Simon Buckley is the same player and that has not really worked.

Out Dawes, Wellingham and Tom Young, in Lynch, Colin Young and Russell, plus have picks 18, 19, 21. Not bad for a team that has been in the finals the past 15 years

jazzadogs
25-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Out Dawes and Tom Young, in Lynch, Colin Young and Russell, plus have picks 18, 19, 21. Not bad for a team that has been in the finals the past 15 years
Also out Wellingham, but they have had a very good trade period IMO.

jazzadogs
25-10-2012, 04:44 PM
I have a mate who is quite involved at Collingwood, thinks we've done really well. Good disposal, knows how to find the ball, cracks in (no surprise there). Also a top guy, which certainly fits into Macca's mantra. Turning quality people into quality players is something that Macca seems to pride himself on, and something that he said our club will become the best at in the AFL.

Young won the VFL B&F as a 17 year old, playing in a side that still included O'Bree, Fraser, Medhurst, Anthony, Lockyer.

Cons: lack of pace and possibly lack of awareness, gets run down a fair bit.

Even before I got that appraisal, I was happy with the selection. A 20 year old who has been involved with an AFL club for 3-4 years, vs an untried 17-18 yo at pick 71 in the draft? I think it's a good move.

1eyedog
25-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Out Dawes and Tom Young, in Lynch, Colin Young and Russell, plus have picks 18, 19, 21. Not bad for a team that has been in the finals the past 15 years

Don't think any of those trades in are going to improve them very much. Wellingham is a bigger loss than they think.

Tom Young didn't look that slow off the mark in any of the footage I've seen (response to jazzadog).

Topdog
25-10-2012, 04:50 PM

Dunno why but the 15 years comment made me laugh.

Sockeye Salmon
25-10-2012, 05:18 PM
We now have 3 retirements, 4 delistings and Lake = 8 out
Hunter, Stevens & Young in; picks 5, 6, 22 & 51* to come = 7 in

That only leaves room for 1 upgraded rookie.

Considering the rookie list has also reduced by two, we have too many players, someone (or two) has to go.

* Seeing we activated the Sam Reid compo pick I assume we intend to use it and not just throw it away.

G-Mo77
25-10-2012, 05:22 PM
We now have 3 retirements, 4 delistings and Lake = 8 out
Hunter, Stevens & Young in; picks 5, 6, 22 & 51* to come = 7 in

That only leaves room for 1 upgraded rookie.

Considering the rookie list has also reduced by two, we have too many players, someone (or two) has to go.

* Seeing we activated the Sam Reid compo pick I assume we intend to use it and not just throw it away.

Maybe we can off load a player or players for picks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that happens. If it doesn't Panos and Skinner could be in trouble.

Axe Man
25-10-2012, 05:26 PM

They traded in the guy who sang Build Me Up Buttercup?:D

Bf73xawiB6s

Doc26
25-10-2012, 05:35 PM
They traded in the guy who sang Build Me Up Buttercup?:D

Was wondering who this Colin Young was, Clinton's alter ego perhaps.

Mantis
25-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I have a mate who is quite involved at Collingwood, thinks we've done really well. Good disposal, knows how to find the ball, cracks in (no surprise there). Also a top guy, which certainly fits into Macca's mantra. Turning quality people into quality players is something that Macca seems to pride himself on, and something that he said our club will become the best at in the AFL.

Young won the VFL B&F as a 17 year old, playing in a side that still included O'Bree, Fraser, Medhurst, Anthony, Lockyer.

Cons: lack of pace and possibly lack of awareness, gets run down a fair bit.

Even before I got that appraisal, I was happy with the selection. A 20 year old who has been involved with an AFL club for 3-4 years, vs an untried 17-18 yo at pick 71 in the draft? I think it's a good move.

He was about to be delisted by Collingwood so I'm not sure they rated him too highly.

And on the bolded bit it's hard to make strawberry jam out of horse shit and I think we should be stocking our list with quality players, not just quality people.

Bulldog4life
25-10-2012, 05:42 PM
He was about to be delisted by Collingwood so I'm not sure they rated him too highly.

And on the bolded bit it's hard to make strawberry jam out of horse shit and I think we should be stocking our list with quality players, not just quality people.

Have you a link for that Mantis?

Topdog
25-10-2012, 05:44 PM
yeah I haven't heard anything like that either.

jeemak
25-10-2012, 05:46 PM

Nice. Archived for later use. :)

Mantis
25-10-2012, 05:53 PM

Nah, just something I heard from a Collingwood supporter I work with who reckons he is in the know... Could be crap, but he tends to get more right than wrong.

jazzadogs
25-10-2012, 05:57 PM
My mate did say that he was borderline delisting, but certainly wasn't at the top of the list. Might have been similar to if we trade out someone like Panos or Skinner...next in line, just depends on list management.

Re: "It's hard to make strawberry jam out of horse shit and I think we should be stocking our list with quality players, not just quality people."
I think that this is certainly their plan. They're not going to pick up a VFL reserves player just because he's a nice guy. They obviously see potential in Young, and they know that he will be dedicated to improving himself and improving the club.

The ultimate goal is to have players who are quality individuals and meet all the on-field requirements. I think (and from what I understand McCartney thinks the same) that it is much easier to improve someone's skills than it is to improve their character and commitment.

bornadog
25-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Was wondering who this Colin Young was, Clinton's alter ego perhaps.

whoops:D

bornadog
25-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Nah, just something I heard from a Collingwood supporter I work with who reckons he is in the know... Could be crap, but he tends to get more right than wrong.

Heard Pickering his manager on SEN and he said the Dogs had been watching him for awhile and when the opportunity arose asked for him to be traded in.

GVGjr
25-10-2012, 07:07 PM

I get what you are saying but I'd rather give a youngster like Young a chance than picking up another smart mouth like Schofield.

There needs to be a balance but having a quality player that happens to be poor off the field won't always serve us well.

GVGjr
25-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I've contacted a couple of mates of support the Pies including one who goes to a lot of VFL games and they both think he's an OK player. The concern is about his disposal by foot so I suppose we have a lot of work to do with him.

I wonder what was the driving force behind our interest in him.

From the limited footage I have seen he might be best suit to a role in the back line.

stefoid
25-10-2012, 10:13 PM
gah, another turnover merchant.

KT31
25-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the Doggies Tom.
Don't mind the selection has a bit of experiance and size about him, will know what is expected and should be in the side first game up.

AndrewP6
25-10-2012, 10:43 PM
] The concern is about his disposal by foot so I suppose we have a lot of work to do with him.

More players who have suspect disposal :eek::eek:

GVGjr
25-10-2012, 10:54 PM
More players who have suspect disposal :eek::eek:

You don't get to trade for too many players with out some obvious flaws in their game.
At pick 71 it's obviously a punt but I'm liking the way we are going about things.

- We have stuck to our original plan of getting young players with a bit of experience but with upside.
- We haven't gone for short term fixes with experienced players
- We have resisted the temptation to trade any of the 3 early picks away.

Both Stevens and Young still need the coaches to develop them into senior players but given their age, their physical presence and the fact they have already have some exposure to senior football they both compliment our developing younger group nicely.

I don't know a lot about Young but I'll make sure I try and get a good look at him soon.

AndrewP6
25-10-2012, 11:02 PM
You don't get to trade for too many players with out some obvious flaws in their game.
At pick 71 it's obviously a punt but I'm liking the way we are going about things.

I don't know a lot about Young but I'll make sure I try and get a good look at him soon.

Fair calls... interesting to see if the new brigade can make the grade (see, I made a poem!)

jeemak
26-10-2012, 12:22 AM
At pick 71 he's going to have flaws in his game.

Reality is there's probably only a handful of players in the game that don't have a weakness, and those players aren't neccessarily the best players in the competition, as the best guys tend to be so good in certain areas that their weaknesses don't get exposed regularly.

If he adds to our depth in solid defenders and can continue to improve then we'll have done well with not giving up a lot.

LostDoggy
26-10-2012, 12:57 AM

Excuse me, but isn't that what he's done?

Remi Moses
26-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Neither here nor there on this one.
Pick 71 in all likelihood isn't going to get you a footballer.
Thank Christ we've kept those three early picks.

GVGjr
26-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Excuse me, but isn't that what he's done?

He's done OK with some late selections like Dahlhaus and Dickson. Mantis is saying we should back his assessment.

ledge
26-10-2012, 07:27 AM
He's done OK with some late selections like Dahlhaus and Dickson. Mantis is saying we should back his assessment.

Not sure about DIckson wasn't he one Macca insisted on ?

GVGjr
26-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Not sure about DIckson wasn't he one Macca insisted on ?

I think the Dickson assessment was based on input from Grant and McCartney but it does shows that late in the draft or from the rookie list you can still snare a good player.

bornadog
26-10-2012, 10:22 AM

But thats a bigger risk than taking a ready made player and trying to develop them. A 20 year old 191cm player takes longer to mature.

We have to back Dalrymple again this time.

Twodogs
26-10-2012, 12:07 PM

You must have been sitting very close to me. After the game we were standing on our seats taunting Carlton supporters and a kid wearing navy blue turned to his dad with tears in his eyes and said "But they are the bulldogs-they werent supposed to beat us."

Carlton had won 14 games in a row and were playing the undefeated Essendon the next week in what was supposed to be a blockbuster but we ruined the party. Carlton thought it would be a walk in the park.

Raw Toast
26-10-2012, 09:03 PM
For what it's worth, my Pies mate reckons Young is a good fit for us (and he's not one to say that sarcastically!).

I'm happy with this pick-up. I think of it as a bit like a rookie pick and presume Dalrymple was pretty involved. Winning the B&F at an early age is a decent achievement, he's clearly been shown up a bit with some deficiencies after that, but sounds like he should have a bit of upside.

The Carlton fans were ropable after the game. One of my favorite home and away games ever...

You must have been sitting very close to me. After the game we were standing on our seats taunting Carlton supporters and a kid wearing navy blue turned to his dad with tears in his eyes and said "But they are the bulldogs-they werent supposed to beat us."

Carlton had won 14 games in a row and were playing the undefeated Essendon the next week in what was supposed to be a blockbuster but we ruined the party. Carlton thought it would be a walk in the park.

I remember that game with enormous fondness as well, and the three games in a row were marvelous. We'd had an ok to disappointing year to that point, and were down Grant, Darcy and a number of others, and in danger of missing the finals. Essendon were undefeated and Carlton had won 13* in a row and were looking like the only side who could challenge them.

It was the game that started our super-flooding, but it was less structured than it would become. More a lot of players loose in defence than the more sophisticated zone we would do against the Bombers. Carlton couldn't cope, and with Garlic running wild we were having the best of it but didn't take full advantage and went into the last term up by only five points (8.8 to 8.3!). Carlton then looked like they'd pull it out before our two very late goals.

I tried to find a youtube of Garlic's goals - the best one involved him getting the ball near the boundary, turning his opponent inside out, running down the boundary and I think bananaring it through.

(Carlton not only lost the next week to Essendon, but lost Kouta with an ACL for the year, and effectively began their journey towards their first glorious spoons.)

The next week we struggled against lowly Collingwood until Paul Hudson kicked another very late set shot from close to the most acute angle you can have at Docklands and we won by 9 points. And then of course we ended the Dons unbeaten run the following week as well.

The biggest pity was that we had a let-down the following week against the Hawks which not only let them squeak into the finals, but meant that we had an away final versus the Lions who overran us in the last final we played under Wallet.

*Pretty sure I'm right about this Twodogs

AndrewP6
26-10-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't know the guy from a bar of soap. However my mate at work, a die-hard Pies fan, tells me he's a spud. Not saying it's gospel, but he follows them avidly.

Twodogs
27-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Carlton couldn't cope, and with Garlic running wild we were having the best of it but didn't take full advantage and went into the last term up by only five points (8.8 to 8.3!). Carlton then looked like they'd pull it out before our two very late goals.

Garlick kicked most of his goals before halftime didnt he? We had a couple of goals lead at halftime but Kouta kicked a couple in the first couple of minutes of the third and we had no-one who could go with him. I can remember a mate turning to me and saying "Here we go" But we just dug deep and pinched one that we had no right to win.

Personally I reckon this win was a better win than beating Essendon a couple of weeks later.

Yep you are. My confusion stems from the fact the media were already promoting the Carlton/Essendon game the following week as undefeated Essendon V Carlton who'd won 14 in a row in the week leading up to the game.

westdog54
27-10-2012, 01:06 PM
I remember that game with enormous fondness as well, and the three games in a row were marvelous. We'd had an ok to disappointing year to that point, and were down Grant, Darcy and a number of others, and in danger of missing the finals. Essendon were undefeated and Carlton had won 13* in a row and were looking like the only side who could challenge them.

I didn't go to the game but I managed to turn the radio on just after full time, hearing about how Carlton dominated stat, after stat after stat, BUT, the Bulldogs had got up. I couldn't believe it. I watched a replay and the thing that stuck out on the siren was Wallace telling his assistants to settle down when they went to celebrate, there was more work to be done.

The next week we struggled against lowly Collingwood until Paul Hudson kicked another very late set shot from close to the most acute angle you can have at Docklands and we won by 9 points. And then of course we ended the Dons unbeaten run the following week as well.

That game I went to, and I remember Hudson's goal at the death. We'd been in control for most of the game until the Pies rallied in the last quarter. Grant's goal against the bombers a week later was in virtually the same spot as Hudson's.

The biggest pity was that we had a let-down the following week against the Hawks which not only let them squeak into the finals, but meant that we had an away final versus the Lions who overran us in the last final we played under Wallet.

The Monday after the Essendon game I went to school and a Dogs supporting mate of mine saw me and said 'How good are they, Nick?' A week later the same conversation was 'How shit are they, Nick?'

That part of the post needs to be framed. :D

LostDoggy
29-10-2012, 06:33 PM
From westernbulldogs.com.au

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/150439/default.aspx

"A week ago Tom Young was relaxing on a beach in Thailand, this morning the former Collingwood utility was one of the fresh faces taking part in a benchmark running time trial at Whitten Oval"

later in the interview ....

"[I’m] pretty excited I have never been up in the Northern Hemisphere"

chef
29-10-2012, 06:44 PM

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/150439/default.aspx

"A week ago Tom Young was relaxing on a beach in Thailand, this morning the former Collingwood utility was one of the fresh faces taking part in a benchmark running time trial at Whitten Oval"

Maybe he's talking about going to London with the team;)

Bulldog4life
29-10-2012, 06:45 PM

He was.

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2012, 06:48 PM

Thailand is in the northern hemisphere

LostDoggy
29-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Yes he was, but I was having a poke at him as Thailand is in the Northern Hemisphere

F'scary
30-10-2012, 01:50 PM

Hopefully he knows his way around the footy field.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Yes he was, but I was having a poke at him as Thailand is in the Northern Hemisphere

i don't get it....Thailand is in the northern hemisphere.....

azabob
30-10-2012, 05:44 PM

Did you read the article?

bornadog
30-10-2012, 06:08 PM

see above

EasternWest
30-10-2012, 06:55 PM

He'd just been in Thailand, in the Northern Hemisphere.

Then he said about the upcoming trip with the team "I've never been in the Northern Hemisphere".

Took me a while to get it too.

Go_Dogs
30-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I wonder how long until a world map with the Hemisphere's and Thailand highlighted appears in his locker down at the club?

westdog54
30-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I wonder how long until a world map with the Hemisphere's and Thailand highlighted appears in his locker down at the club?

I'm guessing it was up the next day.

JohnGentStand
30-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Red hair, White skin, they call him Bluey.........he belongs already :)

F'scary
30-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Red hair, White skin, they call him Bluey.........he belongs already :)

Bluey Young. It computes.

mighty_west
30-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Wasn't exactly jumping up and down with joy with the acquisition of Young, but after talking with a friend who is a Pies supporter, basically said his skills are decent without being a gun, but pretty good with the contested and one on one stuff, I wonder with being a defender we have him in mind to perhaps playing a similar role to Dale Morris, we don't exactly know if Morris will be anywhere near his best if or when he comes back.

Ghost Dog
31-10-2012, 11:55 AM
What would everyone's expectations for a pick 71 be.
How many games is a win?

Hotdog60
31-10-2012, 11:58 AM
What would everyone's expectations for a pick 71 be.
How many games is a win?

250 games, 3 time all Australian, Brownlow medalist and a 4 time premiership player.

But I have very low expectations.;)

whythelongface
31-10-2012, 12:01 PM
250 games, 3 time all Australian, Brownlow medalist and a 4 time premiership player.

But I have very low expectations.;)

This made me chuckle. Very good.

Mantis
31-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Wasn't exactly jumping up and down with joy with the acquisition of Young, but after talking with a friend who is a Pies supporter, basically said his skills are decent without being a gun, but pretty good with the contested and one on one stuff, I wonder with being a defender we have him in mind to perhaps playing a similar role to Dale Morris, we don't exactly know if Morris will be anywhere near his best if or when he comes back.

I'm hearing that he is probably more suited to a midfield role, but was well behind the likes of Swan, Beams, Pendlebury, Thomas, Sidebottom, etc at the Pies.

It will be interesting to see what role we have him pencilled in for.

F'scary
31-10-2012, 01:11 PM
I like his size. He will have a similar physique to Cooney and Griffen in a year or two. Perhaps a better match is Hargrave (no s).

mighty_west
31-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm hearing that he is probably more suited to a midfield role, but was well behind the likes of Swan, Beams, Pendlebury, Thomas, Sidebottom, etc at the Pies.

It will be interesting to see what role we have him pencilled in for.

Just hope he doesn't end up being one of those Everitt, Ed Barlow can't find a position types, although Andrejs has the intensity of a potato.