PDA

View Full Version : Tippett in Pre Season Draft?

gohardorgohome
26-10-2012, 03:10 PM
With Lake, Gilbee, Hargreave all leaving the club one would think we may have enough space in the salary cap for a player such as Tippett (barring any deregistration)....

I would think the club could easily delist Vez, Skinner or Panos then redraft these guys if Tippett is not available come our choice.

bornadog
26-10-2012, 03:16 PM
If he wants to come to the Dogs, would take him in a heart beat.

westdog54
26-10-2012, 03:18 PM

There's the important bit right there. The last thing I'd want is a bloke being paid big dollars when he doesn't want to be there.

whythelongface
26-10-2012, 03:24 PM
There's the important bit right there. The last thing I'd want is a bloke being paid big dollars when he doesn't want to be there.

Yep. We don't want another Jade Rawlings.

Will Jacobs and Toy also go into the PSD? If so what are the likely odds of picking one of those two up?

westdog54
26-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Yep. We don't want another Jade Rawlings.

Will Jacobs and Toy also go into the PSD? If so what are the likely odds of picking one of those two up?

I didn't want to come right out and say it but its the first name that popped into my head. I suppose the difference is that we haven't 'engineered' it so that Rawlings went to the PSD.

Throughandthrough
26-10-2012, 03:29 PM
2 for 1 deal. Get him AND his Dad to manage.

Remi Moses
26-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Just heard they've delisted Sherman.

gohardorgohome
26-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Sure did..... even more salary cap space.......

bornadog
26-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Sure did..... even more salary cap space.......

We will have to pay out his contract for next year

azabob
26-10-2012, 03:55 PM

Thought so, I asked that question in the Sherman thread.

LostDoggy
26-10-2012, 04:10 PM
I think he will nominate for the ND not the PSD, and will put 1 million on himself, I wouldn't want to waste a ND pick for a guy who will want 1 million and will probably leave after 2 years.

LongWait
26-10-2012, 04:24 PM

At a million bucks a season?

Sedat
26-10-2012, 04:32 PM
At a million bucks a season?
Agreed. Has Tippett morphed into John Coleman in the off-season? I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same Tippett who couldn't get a kick for most of the 2nd half of the season and finally got off his arse and had a good game in the PF.

No thanks from me, especially on the coin he will be demanding. He will be lucky to kick 30 goals in a season for us.

Dry Rot
26-10-2012, 04:37 PM
One bad concussion from a retirement?

Throughandthrough
26-10-2012, 05:34 PM

His Crows contacct has expired (in more ways then one)

bornadog
26-10-2012, 06:06 PM
His Crows contacct has expired (in more ways then one)

sorry I was answering the contract question on Sherman, not Tippet.

Raw Toast
26-10-2012, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't mind have a nibble in the Tippet direction myself, but if the coin is big enough to mean we would have to restructure contracts then likely not worth the expense given he's not yet shown he is worth it, won't necessarily help team dynamics etc

Still, he could be fun to have :p

LostDoggy
26-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Tippet wants to live in Sydney or QLD - 2 of those clubs have PSD picks before us and cap space to burn - don't see it happening even remotely.

I don't think its a good idea, he isn't very good, he is susceptible to concussion, and he has treated his old club like shit when negotiating his last contract and now arranging his move.

A big no - impractical, impossible - undesirable.

jeemak
27-10-2012, 03:06 AM
The Tippett eppisode has tainted him, his management and his former club.

I'd prefer for us to stick to any plans we may have had before he has become available. We do need a player of his ability, though there are risks as mentioned above that make him a physical risk.

Let him and his demands be an issue for other clubs to deal with.

immortalmike
27-10-2012, 03:10 AM
Agreed. Has Tippett morphed into John Coleman in the off-season? I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same Tippett who couldn't get a kick for most of the 2nd half of the season and finally got off his arse and had a good game in the PF.

No thanks from me, especially on the coin he will be demanding. He will be lucky to kick 30 goals in a season for us.

Against the worst Key Position back in the competition.

Terribly overrated footballer.

LostDoggy
27-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Against the worst Key Position back in the competition.

Terribly overrated footballer.

Had an up and down year, but has been able to over his career turn games on their head - big game player in the hardest position on the field. Has played two fantastic finals from memory (vs collingwood and hawthorn). If jones turns out as good as Tippett I'd be wrapped. We would be willing to give a first round pick for Dawes and this guy may be available for no compensation. If his salary demand were tempered and he wanted to come to WO (too big ifs I know) then I would absolutely pursue.

Topdog
27-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Terribly underrated by this forum IMO. Very good footballer who struggled through the 2nd half of the season with multiple concussions. Even with this struggle he was still serviceable.

But as DR said probably 1 concussion away from retirement.

westdog54
27-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Terribly underrated by this forum IMO. Very good footballer who struggled through the 2nd half of the season with multiple concussions. Even with this struggle he was still serviceable.

But as DR said probably 1 concussion away from retirement.

And probably not wanting to come to the club either.

He's a good footballer but the cons far outweigh the pros for me.

stefoid
27-10-2012, 10:26 AM
We might give Toy an assurance for the PSD? If we were willing to trade for him then the PSD is a no brainer - he just has to risk Melbourne.

Given Lakes salary relief, nominating a big front ended contract could scare them off - i.e $500K in the first year, and minimum wage the second.

LongWait
27-10-2012, 11:07 AM
If Gold Coast are serious about helping Toy get to where he wants, rather than hoping he will sign a 12 month extension, they will surely de-list him on 31 October. Delisted players are automatically considered to be unrestricted free agents. As such, Toy would be free on 01 November to accept any offer he likes from any club.

GVGjr
27-10-2012, 11:12 AM
If Gold Coast are serious about helping Toy get to where he wants, rather than hoping he will sign a 12 month extension, they will surely de-list him on 31 October. Delisted players are automatically considered to be unrestricted free agents. As such, Toy would be free on 01 November to accept any offer he likes from any club.

Would you be keen on getting him LW?
He's more of a defender and I think we can cover the positions he could most likely fill.

LongWait
27-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Would you be keen on getting him LW?
He's more of a defender and I think we can cover the positions he could most likely fill.

To be honest I don't know enough about Toy to have a view about whether he'd be a good acquisition.

We seem keen on Jacobs from Port as well (according to the media) and so we might not be able or willing to take them both on. Jacobs would be less risk than Toy but maybe with a smaller upside.

You wouldn't want to pay too much to get Toy given the queries about his health/performance.

Some suggestions we might use 22 on Jacobs if he enters the draft. Not sure that I'd do that, but it depends on who else is available at 22 I suppose and we won't know that until draft day.

GVGjr
27-10-2012, 11:56 AM
To be honest I don't know enough about Toy to have a view about whether he'd be a good acquisition.

We seem keen on Jacobs from Port as well (according to the media) and so we might not be able or willing to take them both on. Jacobs would be less risk than Toy but maybe with a smaller upside.

You wouldn't want to pay too much to get Toy given the queries about his health/performance.

Some suggestions we might use 22 on Jacobs if he enters the draft. Not sure that I'd do that, but it depends on who else is available at 22 I suppose and we won't know that until draft day.

Whilst that probably won't happen Jacobs a good player and I would be very tempted to make that selection at pick 22 if he did nominate for National Draft.

It would just fit in nicely with our focus on young players with plenty of upside.

whythelongface
27-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Whilst that probably won't happen Jacobs a good player and I would be very tempted to make that selection at pick 22 if he did nominate for National Draft.

It would just fit in nicely with our focus on young players with plenty of upside.

Jacobs is clearly a player that would fit in with the current philosophy of the coach. He would be a great acquisition.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-10-2012, 12:10 PM

He's very good by foot and has nice vision, but what is his pace, endurance and intensity like? I haven't seen enough to make a call, but he looks a little one paced.

Bulldog4life
27-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Heard Terry Wallace say that on AFL radio yesterday. Said that if the Bulldogs could get Jacobs at pick 22 it would be a great get rather than going for an untried player. Reckons that North wouldn't use their first pick on him, 15, but most likely their 2nd or 3rd.

LostDoggy
28-10-2012, 04:56 AM
This thread is great as a bit of off-season escapism, but otherwise pretty moot.

China Dog
28-10-2012, 11:53 AM
We shouldn't waste our time with someone like Tippett. He has proved he lacks real character in the way he left the Crows and does not fit our new philosophy of 'solid character' players.

We would be better developing someone from the draft as a key forward and if we use a PSD pick, use it on Ben Jacobs, who has considerable upside and the right attitude to the game.

Topdog
28-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Im happy to sign him up, use him for 1 season and then trade him for draft picks next year.

Even more so if he is suspended for half the season.

Throughandthrough
28-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Hypothetically, if we took Tippett and said all we can afford is $200k, what would the downside be? (apart from team disunity and no development maybe...) :)

Presumably he doesnt have to play, and yes he would be pi55ed off, but still? What could he do, stand out of footy and watch his value fall lower?

And if by some miracle he kicks a lazy 70 goals we would presumab;ly get a half decent bounty for him the next year, or heavens above pay him a lot more to stay?

GVGjr
28-10-2012, 11:22 PM
I might be wrong here but he has the option of nominating his salary requirements and before any team drafts him they have to have the cap room to pay it.

I don't think it's as simple as a team drafting him and paying him what they think is OK.

LostDoggy
29-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Im happy to sign him up, use him for 1 season and then trade him for draft picks next year.

Just don't put it in writing;)

jeemak
29-10-2012, 01:35 AM
I might be wrong here but he has the option of nominating his salary requirements and before any team drafts him they have to have the cap room to pay it.

I don't think it's as simple as a team drafting him and paying him what they think is OK.

Pretty sure we'd have to match the offers put forward by other clubs to secure him.

We'd have the cap space to compete with other clubs, but it comes down to whether we deem him of desirable character, and whether he deems us a club he wants to play with. I don't think there's any question of his talent. however. He's much better than anyone we've got now.

I'm happy enough to let him go somewhere else though. We've just off-loaded a player that was more concerned about himself than he was about the club and its needs beyond what might be considered a reasonable balance between the two, I don't think we should replace him with another that is similar.

bornadog
22-01-2018, 04:11 PM
Rumour he is about to retire

bornadog
22-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Rumour he is about to retire

Now confirmed

Sydney Swans
@sydneyswans
2m2 minutes ago

Kurt Tippett has announced his retirement from football effective immediately.

bulldogtragic
22-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Frees up some salary cap I imagine. With the greatest respect to all, this was one if the worst, if not the worst, deal/manoeuvre ever in their history.

Adelaide got smashed, then sure they used just a PSD pick but then he gets a huge suspension and his wage on top of (later) Franklins wage forces out some very good players. All while putting together a resume at Sydney on par with Wade Skipper, doing nothing in his GFs and the club not winning a flag (which was clearly the intent of such a big deal). About time Sydney stuffed something up in player movements having gotten it almost perfect for so long.

Twodogs
22-01-2018, 05:48 PM
Speaking of drafts I saw Gillon on the news last night saying his big thing now is to get a mid season draft up and running and he doesn't see why it can't held be this year.

We might still change our list.

Remi Moses
22-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Big flop for mine . Got him to win a flag and didn’t come off. Awful in 2 GF’s to

Twodogs
22-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Big flop for mine . Got him to win a flag and didn’t come off. Awful in 2 GF’s to

I know, I was at one of them.

The Adelaide Connection
22-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Frees up some salary cap I imagine. With the greatest respect to all, this was one if the worst, if not the worst, deal/manoeuvre ever in their history.

Adelaide got smashed, then sure they used just a PSD pick but then he gets a huge suspension and his wage on top of (later) Franklins wage forces out some very good players. All while putting together a resume at Sydney on par with Wade Skipper, doing nothing in his GFs and the club not winning a flag (which was clearly the intent of such a big deal). About time Sydney stuffed something up in player movements having gotten it almost perfect for so long.

What are the rules around retiring before the contract is up? I am assuming they must have done a deal to pay out a certain amount of it, otherwise he would just sit on their injury list and keep banking his full million+
Does anyone know how it works?

bulldogtragic
22-01-2018, 11:10 PM
What are the rules around retiring before the contract is up? I am assuming they must have done a deal to pay out a certain amount of it, otherwise he would just sit on their injury list and keep banking his full million+

Timing seems suspicious too. Sports pages are tied up with our ODI failures, BBL working towards finals, SA test squad announced, Australian Open quarters now. Plus AFLW about to begin with AFLX too, the AFEL wouldn't want to jeopardise that or put scrutiny on Sydney and a 3 year contacted player on huge money jumping ship. The AFEL said after the Buddy deal that they'd be watching Sydney to make sure they weren't rigging the system by cutting players early of contracts or under paying them after other clubs couldn't afford to match offers. Tippett got to the PSD because all clubs couldn't match the years or dollars. Now Tippett 'retires' 3 years early and the cap millions that scared everyone off not relevant. Seems all too suspicious for my cynical thinking. Equally, no one will raise it officially, up to and including the AFEL, so it's a case of whatever.

GVGjr
22-01-2018, 11:31 PM

I think both parties will agree to an amount which will be less than if he stayed for the remainder of his contract which I think expires at the end of 2020. Lets say the agreement is 1.5M Sydney might be able to cover that this year which frees up their TPP in 2019 and 2020. Otherwise they might just spread the 500L a year over the 3 years.

The skeptic in me asks what incentive was given to Tippett for him to vacate a very lucrative contract?

Sedat
23-01-2018, 03:27 AM
AFEL patented "makey uppey" will come into effect. Retirements through injury can be manipulated by clubs so that some of their contracted future salary can be paid out by the AFLPA and not be counted in the cap - Pies did this with Dane Swan from memory.

craigsahibee
23-01-2018, 11:01 AM
I think the way it works is that the Swans don't actually have to pay Tippet anything, however his "Salary" is still included in their cap for the duration of his contract. Now, if he was convinced by Sydney to "retire" there may be an arrangement between the two parties with regards to compensation. I recall an interview late last year with a representative of Hawthorn after Vickery retired and they mentioned that his "salary" is still included in the cap this year. Happy to be proven wrong, but that's just my recollection.

Axe Man
23-01-2018, 11:32 AM
I'm fairly certain that Tippett and the Swans renegotiated his contract for more years at less money, which is why he still had 3 years left. He wasn't on $1 million a year anymore.

Obviously they would have come to some sort of arrangement with a payout, otherwise he just would have stayed on the list for 3 more years collecting his paycheque.