PDA

View Full Version : Sherman - Delisted

bornadog
26-10-2012, 03:36 PM
gone

Following the conclusion of trade period, the Western Bulldogs today announced, after mutual agreement, that Justin Sherman will seek to continue his career at another Club via the AFL Pre-Season Draft.

Sherman exits Whitten Oval a year before the expiration of his contract, after reaching a settlement with the Club.

General Manager of Football James Fantasia said it was recognised by both parties that the midfielder was not part of the Club’s future plans and it was appropriate for Sherman to look elsewhere for greater opportunities.

“Justin and the Club agreed that there were limited on-field opportunities for him next season and that it was best to part ways,” Fantasia said.

“We wish Justin the best in his future endeavours.”

Sherman played 24 games with the Western Bulldogs, including ten in 2012, since crossing over from Brisbane in 2010.

whythelongface
26-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Good move. Looks like we may be targeting someone in the PSD.

azabob
26-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Very interesting, obviously no clubs where interested.

Wonder if he will get picked up?

bornadog
26-10-2012, 03:41 PM
His card was marked at pre-season training when Macca had a go at him for not having his shirt on and seeing his tatts.

The Underdog
26-10-2012, 03:51 PM
His card was marked at pre-season training when Macca had a go at him for not having his shirt on and seeing his tatts.

I'd suggest if had of performed to the level expected, Macca might have been able to put that behind him. Definite case though of coach and player not gelling.

azabob
26-10-2012, 03:53 PM
What happens to his salary?

Is it in next years cap? I assume some of it / if not all has to be.

Perhaps another piece to why Lake was also traded out?

bornadog
26-10-2012, 03:54 PM

Unless he finds a home and we do a deal on salary, we will have to pay him.

G-Mo77
26-10-2012, 03:54 PM

If he gets picked in the PSD I believe the next club takes it, otherwise we have to pay him.

Right or wrong?

Bulldog Revolution
26-10-2012, 03:56 PM
If he gets picked in the PSD I believe the next club takes it, otherwise we have to pay him.

Right or wrong?

I presumed he would have reached a settlement with us

And then whatever he gets paid wherever he plays next year is a separate issue

azabob

Right or wrong?

Right I reckon.

DOG GOD
I wonder if they are looking at Ben Jacobs for the psd?

LostDoggy
26-10-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm assuming he was on the trade table then? So if no club was interested at trade time, why would they be interested come the PSD?

DOG GOD
26-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm assuming he was on the trade table then? So if no club was interested at trade time, why would they be interested come the PSD?

Maybe coz they are pretty much getting him for free and not giving up say a top 40 pick in the national draft. Having said that, I could see a club not picking him.

G-Mo77
26-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Right I reckon.

Yeah I think that is how it works. Not 100% sure though

Bulldog Revolution
26-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Honest decision with Sherman given he doesnt fit into the clubs plans

bulldogsman
26-10-2012, 04:16 PM
One of the worst trades I've seen. Who knows, maybe we could have kept Ward with the money Sherman was allegedly on. Ah well, I'm glad we didn't keep him on for another year just because he's got a contract.

LongWait
26-10-2012, 04:23 PM
The club announcement states:

"Sherman exits Whitten Oval a year before the expiration of his contract, after reaching a settlement with the Club."

This implies a full or part payout of his contract has occured and once that was agreed he has been released to enter the PSD.

G-Mo77
26-10-2012, 04:28 PM
The club announcement states:

"Sherman exits Whitten Oval a year before the expiration of his contract, after reaching a settlement with the Club."

This implies a full or part payout of his contract has occured and once that was agreed he has been released to enter the PSD.

I always thought that when you go into the PSD contracted the club that drafts him has to absorb the rest of that contract. Anyway, personally don't care either way.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-10-2012, 04:28 PM
It's a rapid fall from grace to delist a player after only two seasons that you essentially traded a first round (or early second round) pick for.

I understand why supporters dislike Sherman, and ultimately it's been a tragic trade, but I thought he still had something to offer.

Be interesting to see who actually picks him up.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-10-2012, 04:35 PM
another one bites the dust.....one more to go (Vez)

Sedat
26-10-2012, 04:37 PM
It's a rapid fall from grace to delist a player after only two seasons that you essentially traded a first round (or early second round) pick for.
Sydney were ready to cough up pick 22 for him 2 years ago. Luckily for us he chose the Dogs as his preferred destination :o

Axe Man
26-10-2012, 04:37 PM

It's possible that no one is interested in giving him a primary list spot but may be willing to put him on the rookie list?

Bulldog4life
26-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Sydney were ready to cough up pick 22 for him 2 years ago. Luckily for us he chose the Dogs as his preferred destination :o

Might be the Club who pick him up.

chef
26-10-2012, 04:48 PM
It's a bit sad that we wasted so much on him, but if he's not in Maccas plans than we may as well cut him lose.

Dancin' Douggy
26-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm glad to see him gone but can't believe he was worth nothing at the trade table.

Looks like you were right Chops. Sherman = 0.

Sockeye Salmon
26-10-2012, 04:52 PM
another one bites the dust.....one more to go (Vez)

Vez 100x> Skinner

Axe Man
26-10-2012, 04:55 PM
So we have pretty much ended up with nothing from the loss of Jarrod Harbrow. We can only hope that we use the Ward compensation pick much more wisely (please let pick 6 be a gun).

Sedat
26-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Vez 100x> Skinner
I know you don't rate Skinner (neither do I), but Vesz is not 100x better than anybody. He is a journeyman and a battler at this level due to his poor tank and questionable intensity. These deficiencies will always counter balance his good attributes.

Sockeye Salmon
26-10-2012, 05:13 PM
I know you don't rate Skinner (neither do I), but Vesz is not 100x better than anybody. He is a journeyman and a battler at this level due to his poor tank and questionable intensity. These deficiencies will always counter balance his good attributes.

At least Vez has the tools to be an AFL player, Skinner's got nothing

LongWait
26-10-2012, 06:10 PM
At least Vez has the tools to be an AFL player, Skinner's got nothing

In your opinion. Not everyone would agree.

Ghost Dog
26-10-2012, 06:18 PM
One of the worst pick ups for us in a while. Gave us nothing. was beaten for a spot by Dahl, basically a kid. See ya Justin. Many on the forum will be pretty pleased.

Mantis
26-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Disappointed we couldn't get more out of this guy as he possesses some traits we badly need.

F'scary
26-10-2012, 07:10 PM
One of the worst pick ups for us in a while. Gave us nothing. was beaten for a spot by Dahl, basically a kid. See ya Justin. Many on the forum will be pretty pleased.

Do you want me to hunt him and get the money the club paid him back?

Dancin' Douggy
26-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Do you want me to hunt him and get the money the club paid him back?

yes.......hunt him my pet.......Mwoahaha.

LostDoggy
26-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Outfoxed by Voss at the trade table. What a debacle.

Happy Days
26-10-2012, 07:37 PM

That's more of an indictment on the coach than Sherman if true.

If we're paying him out, then I don't see what this achieves. His play may have been ordinary, but he has attributes that are sorely missing from our list, and could have been utilised in some way. There's no way Sherman was less valuable to us than a guy the coach won't pick (Panos) or a guy that can't play (Skinner).

McCartney seems to have some sort of plan in mind, but he's looking more and more pig headed about it by the day. What does it say about a supposed "great teacher" when he gives up on a challenging pupil after one season?

Dancin' Douggy
26-10-2012, 07:44 PM
I think Sherman's name has been mud since the racism incident.

Rightly or wrongly, and everyone deserves a second chance and blah blah blah.

But I'm under the impression it was more than a single outburst in the heat of the moment.

It was sustained race based abuse throughout the game.

Most, if not all teams have aboriginal players, not to mention all the other ethnic variations on club lists.

I think Sherman irreparably damaged his reputation (brand for those marketing types).

He is unwanted goods.

Templeton31
26-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Disappointed we couldn't get more out of this guy as he possesses some traits we badly need.

I agree. He's in the age bracket we need and has some outside speed. disappointing.

Bulldog Revolution
26-10-2012, 08:06 PM
I agree. He's in the age bracket we need and has some outside speed. disappointing.

But not to be just letting us off the hook, he'd had two coaches previously that had got sick of his approach/game

The most disappointing thing is we wasted such a high pick on him

Grantysghost
26-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Sherman's gone!? Damn now I have to change my avatar ! :D Is he the worst trade in our history? I remember speaking to him at the first members function and he seemed like a pretty level headed player. From there he insulted the culture at the Lions within 5 minutes of arrival and proceeded to racially abuse Wilkinson from GC in a moment of insanity. Inglorious stuff, what a waste....I always thought he had ability just seemed to panic and lack composure in his time with us. Hope he makes it somewhere, maybe GWS will give him a chance.

AndrewP6
26-10-2012, 09:00 PM
But not to be just letting us off the hook, he'd had two coaches previously that had got sick of his approach/game

Eade only had him for a season, IIRC he was a required player at Brisvegas who wanted out. He wasn't pushed out Aker-style.

AndrewP6
26-10-2012, 09:06 PM
I think Sherman's name has been mud since the racism incident.

Rightly or wrongly, and everyone deserves a second chance and blah blah blah.

But I'm under the impression it was more than a single outburst in the heat of the moment.

Most, if not all teams have aboriginal players, not to mention all the other ethnic variations on club lists.
How do you get that impression? Nothing was ever mentioned before or after that incident, in terms of it being regular behavior.

AndrewP6
26-10-2012, 09:09 PM

That's more of an indictment on the coach than Sherman if true.
McCartney seems to have some sort of plan in mind, but he's looking more and more pig headed about it by the day. What does it say about a supposed "great teacher" when he gives up on a challenging pupil after one season?

Agree with.this, I really hope the "no shirt" story is not what actually happened.

GVGjr
26-10-2012, 09:15 PM

My understanding is that early in the season he reacted poorly to the news that he would be starting as a sub and the coaches didn't believe he was sharing the teams values.

The fact that he wanted to play on his terms as well didn't endear him to the coaches.

Talented player but just another one of the laconic types that we drafted or traded for that didn't quite measure up.
Noticed that the Hawks delisted Boumann.

Bulldog Revolution
26-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Eade only had him for a season, IIRC he was a required player at Brisvegas who wanted out. He wasn't pushed out Aker-style.

I think he was playing QAFL at the end of the year under Voss and it was agreed it was time for him to move on, be traded

MrMahatma
26-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Right call today.

We gambled when we thought all we needed was some outside speed to clinche a flag. We lost. Cest la vie.

Not worth keeping. I've been happy with our off season efforts so far.

1eyedog
26-10-2012, 09:41 PM

I understand why supporters dislike Sherman, and ultimately it's been a tragic trade, but I thought he still had something to offer.

Be interesting to see who actually picks him up.

Pace, we lack it.

Mantis
26-10-2012, 09:51 PM

It would have been a great success story in the eyes of many if we had gotten Sherman to play the type of footy we wanted... and it may have taken more than 6 months, but we had time on our side.

Sounds like he was placed in the too hard basket....

I did't think this was the case under Eade, was it?

Sockeye Salmon
26-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Is he the worst trade in our history?

Pfft. Not even close.

For the record, our worst ever trade would have to be Geoff Raines for Marty McMillan (think about that next time you hit a Richmond supporter with Jordon McMahon).

Dancin' Douggy
26-10-2012, 10:22 PM
How do you get that impression? Nothing was ever mentioned before or after that incident, in terms of it being regular behavior.

I'm only referring to that one game. But during that game, I believe he abused the player repeatedly. Not just a one off insult.

AndrewP6
26-10-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm only referring to that one game. But during that game, I believe he abused the player repeatedly. Not just a one off insult.

Fair enough..

Bulldog Revolution
26-10-2012, 11:05 PM

No it wasn't

Eade had him playing good football I thought

GVGjr
26-10-2012, 11:12 PM
No it wasn't

Eade had him playing good football I thought

Sherman did play some good football under Eade but his form and I assume his confidence dropped when he was suspended.

To that end though he is the same as Everitt to me. Everitt must have frustrated Eade no end by not being that focused on football and his inability to lift his intensity when they put the pressure on him. Sherman was asked to adapt McCartney and just didn't give it his all so in the end the hard decision was made.

For the right team Sherman could be a good footballer so I wonder where he might land.

jeemak
26-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I see it as another legacy of our tendency towards short sightedness under Eade, which is a legacy that we'll be paying for over the forseeable future unfortunately.

It's a shame he didn't work out, as I think he had talent and attributes that could have assisted our team for a number of years.

Without knowing the full story, it's hard to tell who's responsible for the situation panning out the way it has. It's a very bold move by the club and in some ways refreshing that players not towing the line are made accountable.

Sedat
26-10-2012, 11:25 PM
I see it as another legacy of our tendency towards short sightedness under Eade, which is a legacy that we'll be paying for over the forseeable future unfortunately.

It's a shame he didn't work out, as I think he had talent and attributes that could have assisted our team for a number of years.

Without knowing the full story, it's hard to tell who's responsible for the situation panning out the way it has. It's a very bold move by the club and in some ways refreshing that players not towing the line are made accountable.
The player himself would surely be the first port of call for the end result of this situation.

As for your first point, IMO this would be the single-worst player related decision made under Eade's watch in his 7 years at the club. Sherman had never consistently played to a level approaching AFL standard in his entire career except for one season very early in his career, and in our haste to extract immediate returns on our Harbrow compensation, we threw it away on such a flighty proposition. It really isn't a surprise that his consistency issues never improved in years 7 and 8 of his AFL career.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-10-2012, 11:35 PM
It would have been a great success story in the eyes of many if we had gotten Sherman to play the type of footy we wanted... and it may have taken more than 6 months, but we had time on our side.

A good decision by the MC. Didn't impress under either Eade or McCartney. When the club was desperate for experienced forwards in 2012, Sherman simply didn't measure up.

jeemak
27-10-2012, 12:03 AM
The player himself would surely be the first port of call for the end result of this situation.

As for your first point, IMO this would be the single-worst player related decision made under Eade's watch in his 7 years at the club. Sherman had never consistently played to a level approaching AFL standard in his entire career except for one season very early in his career, and in our haste to extract immediate returns on our Harbrow compensation, we threw it away on such a flighty proposition. It really isn't a surprise that his consistency issues never improved in years 7 and 8 of his AFL career.

As it's early doors with McCartney at the helm he hasn't had enough time to demonstrate a track record of not wanting to work with players. I wouldn't like a supposed developer of people to forge a reputatioin for cutting loose player going forwards if they are deemed too hard to work with, but for the reasons you and others have mentioned in previous posts Sherman looks to have marked his own cards.

hujsh
27-10-2012, 02:15 AM

What is the issue in this case? The fact he was shirtless? Is that so uncommon in the preseason?

1eyedog
27-10-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm guessing Shermo thought he was pretty good (no shirts and Shermo does have wanker tatts) with an attitude that goes with it. He's also not the most intelligent guy going around (pers comm WB player). My bet is Macca thought geez got a battle pulling this guys attitude into line and I'm not even sure if he's smart enough to learn how to turn it around.

Ghost Dog
27-10-2012, 08:42 AM
What is the issue in this case? The fact he was shirtless? Is that so uncommon in the preseason?

Running past the contest I would say. Our coach hates that.

G-Mo77
27-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Yes let's blame everyone but Justin.

The coach

Our change of jumpers.

Etihad Stadium.

Aker.

Steven Koops.

Carbon Tax.

These were all factors holding Sherman back. I guess all the other clubs couldn't see all the road blocks he faced during his time here. Although maybe, just maybe they actually watched footage of him playing.

Bulldog Revolution
27-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Sherman did play some good football under Eade but his form and I assume his confidence dropped when he was suspended.

You are right, that suspension was a turning point in his career with us, and perhaps overall

Shame for the kid vilified too, who has now been vilified twice in a career total of 16 games - terrible advertisement for the AFL

EasternWest
27-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Yes let's blame everyone but Justin.

The coach

Our change of jumpers.

Etihad Stadium.

Aker.

Steven Koops.

Carbon Tax.

These were all factors holding Sherman back. I guess all the other clubs couldn't see all the road blocks he faced during his time here. Although maybe, just maybe they actually watched footage of him playing.

I'm just curious to know if you're still smiling?

GVGjr
27-10-2012, 10:22 AM
You are right, that suspension was a turning point in his career with us, and perhaps overall

Shame for the kid vilified too, who has now been vilified twice in a career total of 16 games - terrible advertisement for the AFL

There is no doubt in my mind that he struggled from that point on.
Players need to adjust to what the coaches expect and clearly Sherman didn't but he can play and for the right team he would be a nice pick-up.

I don't think Sherman was giving the impression he wanted to change and while it sounds like a good idea that we should have given him another season recent history suggests that we tried that with the likes of Hill and Everitt, and in the process knocked back better offers a year earlier, but couldn't make it work

I think Sherman was more set in his ways and we didn't feel he would make the adjustment.

LostDoggy
27-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Not sure how it came across in the media but he wasn't liked up here. I remember hearing Peirce Hanley say to my kid who was wearing a Bulldogs jumper "the best thing the Western Bulldogs have done is take Sherman off us".

On a side note I'm reading alot about Sherman's pace again on here. I know I've mentioned this before, but I must be blind cause I have never seen any pace from this guy that is worth noting. I'm not calling him slow but he seems to be getting ran down more so than running away. Is there any YouTube clips or something I can watch to see this blistering pace??

stefoid
27-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Not sure how it came across in the media but he wasn't liked up here. I remember hearing Peirce Hanley say to my kid who was wearing a Bulldogs jumper "the best thing the Western Bulldogs have done is take Sherman off us".

On a side note I'm reading alot about Sherman's pace again on here. I know I've mentioned this before, but I must be blind cause I have never seen any pace from this guy that is worth noting. I'm not calling him slow but he seems to be getting ran down more so than running away. Is there any YouTube clips or something I can watch to see this blistering pace??

Sounds like Aker without the talent.

G-Mo77
27-10-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm just curious to know if you're still smiling?

In all seriousness, no. Sherman cost the club a hell of a lot. Don't get me wrong his spot on the list is free and that's a great return in my books but the quick fixes that we put into place over the last 3 - 4 years are really starting to bite back hard.

EasternWest
27-10-2012, 10:41 AM
In all seriousness, no. Sherman cost the club a hell of a lot. Don't get me wrong his spot on the list is free and that's a great return in my books but the quick fixes that we put into place over the last 3 - 4 years are really starting to bite back hard.

Fair enough.

I don't have anything against Sherman particularly - I hoped he'd make it for us. But it seems he is a bit of a bimbo, and he cost us plenty in picks and coin. If he wasn't going to be the player we hoped him to be, then I'm glad he's gone.

Axe Man
27-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Spoke to someone last night who used to be involved at Brisbane. He described Sherman as a 'Douche'

Remi Moses
27-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Got it horribly wrong . Had the one year 09, but a real disappointment.

Raw Toast
27-10-2012, 04:09 PM
The biggest disappointment I have with trading for Sherman is that Walker was available but we chose Sherman - I'm sure we had our reasons, but hindsight shows that Walker would have been a much better pick-up. He's not elite, but he works super hard and can play the defensive forward role better than anyone we have.

ledge
27-10-2012, 09:01 PM
The biggest disappointment I have with trading for Sherman is that Walker was available but we chose Sherman - I'm sure we had our reasons, but hindsight shows that Walker would have been a much better pick-up. He's not elite, but he works super hard and can play the defensive forward role better than anyone we have.

It was probably because Walker was injury prone couldn't get on the park, Sherman in my opinion is great at running past a pack gathering and kicking a goal but sadly he came to us maybe 2 years too late and found it hard to get a kick
In a struggling side.

Ghost Dog
27-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Where's Chef? I was dead set against Walker. How wrong I was!

chef
28-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Where's Chef? I was dead set against Walker. How wrong I was!

Yep, how sad that we could have used that pick to try and get Walker. Pretty sure Carlton would only have accepted our first pick anyway.

Mantis
28-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Yep, how sad that we could have used that pick to try and get Walker. Pretty sure Carlton would only have accepted our first pick anyway.

Yep, we were only interested in using our compo pick and that wouldn't have been enough to secure Walker.