PDA

View Full Version : World Of Sport

The Coon Dog
28-09-2007, 11:59 PM
This is just another trip down memory lane for me. Might be of intrest to Godwin Fot & Twodogs, who seem to have terrific memories about things that happened many a year ago.

At my house, we only had one TV, so we watched what Dad wanted to watch & on a Sunday it was World Of Sport. There could have been a major catastrophe of epic proportions happening somewhere in the world, well stiff, World Of Sport was on so nothing else got a look in.

There were many segments with different panelists for them. Some bored me so i paid them scant regard, others I sat transfixed.

In no order:

Soccer - for about 2-3 minutes Freddie Villiers would detail the soccer scores from games played overnight in England. Given there was no Foxtel covering live games or the internet, this was one of only 2 ways to get the overnight scores, the other way was to ring 1187.

Golf - I think Colin Long did the golf & maybe even the tennis segments on WOS. Didn't overly intrest me as a youngster.

Lawn Bowls - John Dobbie used to come on & give about 150 scores on games played on Saturday in every division, then showed a game between 2 contestants.

The Handball Comp - I used to love this. Footballers weren't as skilled on their opposite hands back then so there were many 3's scored. For some reason Footscray players didn't really do too well. Allan Jarret from North & Melbourne always did well.

Tug-O-War - Teams of blokes from various pubs competed in this event. There were about 9 blokes per team who pulled on a huge thick rope. The team that held the advantage after 2 minutes won.Each time had a bloke built like Mick Nolan as their 'anchor'.

The Woodchop - Does the name Jack O'Toole bring back memories? "Axemen ready, go, 1, 2, 3 ,4 etc..." there would be 3 guys who had to chop through a decent sized log. I always used to barrack for the back marker as he gave the others a head start.

The Footy Panel - Quite often there would be arguments about who played well as Jack Dyer, Lou Richards, Bob Skilton, Sam Newman, Jim Cleary, Bobby Davis (fair dinkum, dead set, unbeleivable, the boy from the Grammar) & Neil Roberts discussed the previous days games (remember, they were all played on a Saturday) & gave votes.

Horse Racing - Never intrested me at all. Bill Collins or Rollo Roylance would show highlights of all 8 races & would often interview the jockeys (gee they had squeaky voices) in the studio.

Prizes - All guest who appeared on WOS walked out with a stack of przes. Some from memory were: Ballantynes chocolates, Pelaco shirts, Patra Orange Juice, Willem 2 cigars & Bertocci ham. I'm sure there were others too.

Club Corner - Perhaps my favourite segment. They usually got both coaches in (tho South Melbourne always seemed to be represented by Tony Franklin) to discuss the game. It was good to hear what went right/wrong & the panelist also awarded 3-2-1 votes for both teams, so you got an idea who they thought played well for your team, even when you lost.

Cricket - I think it was Doug Ring that hosted the cricket segment which was basically a wrap of the scores in District cricket.

Roller Cycling - I think that's what it was called. 2 cyclist would sprint on a machine which rolled enabling them to go like the clappers. Each machine was hooked up to a huge board with 2 different coloured arms (like a giant clock without the numbers) which spun around. the faster they went the quicker the arm spun.

Doug Elliott - Uncle Doug used to read out all the ads. Because they were live, often things went awry. Doug used to read from giant cue cards. One day he was going too slowly so Bill Collins set the cue card on fire. He was the Mayor of Essendon & a long time member of the ALP as I recall too.

Looking back, there weren't too many women on WOS. Never seemed odd at the time, tho looking back now, what was par for the course in those days would be deemed politically incorrect these days.

I'm sure others have great memories of World Of Sport too.

Twodogs
29-09-2007, 12:21 AM
In the non-footy season Jack and Lou would occasinallly have the 'Benn River Report'. They'd be stretched out on banna lounges and talk about all the off season news-retirements, transfers, coaching appointments etc.

And Uncle Doug's poem at the start of the show-Doug would read this long poem about the footy and the horse racing events from the day before using words like 'doggeral'. The Couldabeens adapted it for the start of their show and TISM, of all people, are heavily influenced by uncle Doug in their poetry.

Jack O'Toole was still calling the start of the woodchop ten years after he died. I think he is the longest or most prolific posthumous announcer ever.

My fave memory is Alan Jeans and Peter McKenna facing off after Leigh Metthews very bravely king hit Nevvile Bruns from behind that time. Jeans was an old copper and pulled every technique he knew to try and control things. It was awesome TV.

*edit* Bless Youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp5tl9g_1ho

Twodogs
29-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Uncle Doug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3wzV7rGVwM

Twodogs
29-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Mark Of The Day;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiEAnlyAGqk

Twodogs
29-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Goal Of The Day;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KETdnRZ4_T4

Twodogs
29-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Handball-Cable V Farmer V Barassi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UydKeV26SbM

Twodogs
29-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Woodchop;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcR28Yqt4mY

GVGjr
29-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Can you get the Quinlan 85 yard torp?

Twodogs
29-09-2007, 12:36 AM
This is the list I was working from;

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=related&search_query=VFL%20AFL%20Hawthorn%20Hawks%20Essendon%20Bombe rs%20Fitzroy%20Brisbane%20Lions%20Collingwood%20Magpies%20Ri chmond%20Tigers%20Australian%20Football&v=KETdnRZ4_T4

Sockeye Salmon
29-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Jack O'Toole was still calling the start of the woodchop ten years after he died. I think he is the longest or most prolific posthumous announcer ever.

Some 3 years after he died, Jack O'Tooles voice could still be heard counting in the start - "Axemen. Ready. 1,2,3,4..."

Jack Dyer famously said "what's the matter with Jack? He never stays back for a drink any more."

Twodogs
29-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Might be some Bernie on this one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZVPKIcRdJ4

Twodogs
29-09-2007, 12:41 AM
And this is an awesome list;

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=electrifying+80s

The Underdog
29-09-2007, 08:42 AM
How's the guns on Tommy Hafey?

I was always fascinated by the cycling as a young un'.

The Coon Dog
29-09-2007, 09:23 AM
My fave memory is Alan Jeans and Peter McKenna facing off after Leigh Metthews very bravely king hit Nevvile Bruns from behind that time. Jeans was an old copper and pulled every technique he knew to try and control things. It was awesome TV.

*edit* Bless Youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp5tl9g_1ho

Thanks Carl. I wouldn't like to take Yabby on, that's for sure.

Remember the Sunday Press & Sunday Observer? If we won I read both. If we lost I read neither.

The Coon Dog
29-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Handball-Cable V Farmer V Barassi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UydKeV26SbM

Great to see EJ in the background too.

Thanks for the vids Carl. They certainly brought back fond memories.

LostDoggy
29-09-2007, 10:49 AM
What a great show.
Uncle Doug was a legend, Woof woof woof .....woof woof.

The woodchop was sensational. The clip doesn't show the handicaps sometime given to the O'Tooles. The others would start and they'd could be lighting up a cigy, start on the 30 count and still win. Their size of the chips flying were logs themselves.

LostDoggy
30-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I remember Allan Jeans and Tommy Hafey being interviewed on Club Corner by Peter McKenna. Maybe it was on another channel but I seem to recall Jeans mentioning the John Somerville incident (that was the 1965 Preliminary Final) when Essendon's Somerville was knocked out behind the play in the opening minutes. Also Hafey said he thought it was uncalled for- but he didn't massively can Leigh Matthews. Anyway that wasn't shown on that you tube clip- so perhaps it was on the news or the ABC.

The most tensest club corner that I have remember was the Sunday just after the Fitzroy v Essendon First Semi Final of 1983. Essendon won the game and at half time the Fitzroy coach Robert Walls confronted either Ron Andrews or Roger Merett(or was it both of them) near the race as they were going off. One of them had belted Fitzroy's Leon Harris and this upset Walls.

Funny how Essendon fans have such hatred for Colin Robertson and what he did to Tim Watson in the 1983 Grand Final, yet all of Ron Andrews or Stephen Carey's king hits are ok and the whacking of Leon Harris is considered fair game by them?

Well the next day the atmosphere on club corner between Robert Walls and Kevin Sheedy was as electric as you could imagine- probably more tense that the Jeans- Hafey Club corner. A mate of mine has footage of that- it is fantastic, he is going to hunt it down for me from his large archive.

Another classic for me that another mate (another Bombers supporter) has on tape from World Of Sport, is Allen Aylett presenting a prize to Essendon on the Saturday night just after either, the 1984 or 1985 Grand Final. It was late on the Saturday night and it is obvious that Allen was pretty well refreshed when making this particular speech / presentation.

Yes I also recall Tony Franklin on Club Corner for the Swans but never seeing the Sabbath respecter Barry Davis during his 3 seasons as Essendon coach. I reckon he never appeared on World Of Sport as his stated beliefs were that Sunday was a family day. You have to admire a man who stands by his principals.

From a Footscray point of view- Scragger heavily and repeatedly breathing into the microphone when sitting with Don McKenzie always made me laugh and Bluey Hampshire 'sort of' bagging Ricky Kennedy after the Collingwood v Footscray game at Morphetville in 1983 where Bluey said something along the lines of -"Well yes he will have to have a good look at himself and his future" I think Kennedy was suspended by the tribunal for four weeks after we lost this game by 9 points. Our score was 9.19.73 to their 12.10.82.

Just two more - Kevin Rose, the Fitzroy coach in 1976 (and later to be Collingwood president) explaining how "We kept Footscray scoreless in the third quarter" this was the day after the Allan Stoneham goal after the siren 1 point victory at Waverley in 1976.

Then also after a Round 21 game- one year later in 1977, South Melbourne's coach Ian Stewart advising everyone on Club Corner how South Melbourne were sure that they could beat North Melbourne at Arden Street next week and make the finals, but only if Footscray could beat Carlton at the Western Oval.

The scenario was that for South to make the finals they needed to beat North Melbourne at Arden Street and hope that Carlton (who's spot in the five) South would take should they defeat North Melbourne lost to Footscray.

Happily we answered the prayers of Ian Stewart and all South Melbourne fans by knocking over Carlton that afternoon and they did beat North, so they duly made the finals. The last time they ever did as South Melbourne before becoming Sydney.

Our game finished first and the Footscray v Carlton final score was put up on the scoreboard at Arden Street. Interestingly because it wouldn't have been to North Melbourne's advantage to advise of the other game- it only would have (and obviously did) spur South on more to beat them and claim the last spot in the finals.

Peter Munro was playing that day as were Bruce Reid, Ray Huppatz and I think Denis Collins and Bernie Quinlan were too? The first three definitely were out there on the field. Peter Munro kicked a goal in the last quarter, accepted a handball in the goalsquare from Ray Huppatz which largerly sealed Carlton's fate for season 1977.

Just one more point about the District Cricket with Doug Ring. They would always give the "Progressive" ladder which was the tables for all competitions put together. My old man used to go bananas at this- "Who gives a rats about the progressive - just give us the ladder for the District 1st X11?"

Sockeye Salmon
30-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Peter Munro was playing that day as were Bruce Reid, Ray Huppatz and I think Denis Collins and Bernie Quinlan were too? The first three definitely were out there on the field. Peter Munro kicked a goal in the last quarter, accepted a handball in the goalsquare from Ray Huppatz which largerly sealed Carlton's fate for season 1977.

Peter Munro was a cult hero of mine. Did you know he was almost blind? He couldn't see the other end of the ground at all.

Once he tried to mark a seagull. True.

The Coon Dog
07-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Peter Munro was a cult hero of mine. Did you know he was almost blind? He couldn't see the other end of the ground at all.

Once he tried to mark a seagull. True.

I have heard about that.

hujsh
23-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks for that. Very interesting. The ads were fairly weird to me. So...normal

always right
24-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Ahhh World of Sport......brings back memories of the Sunday roast and dad sitting down to his first bottle of beer at about 11.00am.

I remember they used to have the VFL teams compete in a space the size of a shoebox in the studio playing some shitty game where you could only handball. I think we used to get pumped in that too:(

Probably the only TV show where all the talent stood around off camera eating pies, having a drink and a puff.....oh apart from Penthouse Club.

Ahhh Penthouse Club......now don't get me started:)

ledge
01-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Jack Dyer was a true legend and him and Lou were a class above the rest, fond memories of the many Dyerisms, an good ordinary footballer?

The Coon Dog
01-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Jack Dyer was a true legend and him and Lou were a class above the rest, fond memories of the many Dyerisms, an good ordinary footballer?
Mark Lee's long arms reaching up like giant testicles

Retaliate first!

I won't say anything in case I say something.

He sets himself for a high mark - actually, that was a low high mark.

Bamblett made a great debut last week, and an even better one today.

Flanagan's trying to use some pace that he hasn't got.

Bartlett's older than he's ever been before.

Johnston missed one from the 10 yard square - it was impossible to miss that.

Twodogs
02-03-2008, 12:49 AM
"If ya don't mind umpire!"

"They play that herringbone pattern of play"

Sockeye Salmon
02-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Mark Lee's long arms reaching up like giant testicles

Retaliate first!

I won't say anything in case I say something.

He sets himself for a high mark - actually, that was a low high mark.

Bamblett made a great debut last week, and an even better one today.

Flanagan's trying to use some pace that he hasn't got.

Bartlett's older than he's ever been before.

Johnston missed one from the 10 yard square - it was impossible to miss that.

Pair off in threes!