PDA

View Full Version : Should we leave a spot for the PSD?

Dry Rot
26-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Thought occurred to me after reading the Tippett thread. I'm not thinking of him though.

And what happens if you leave a spot open, your plans don't come off, and you don't pick someone up?

G-Mo77
26-10-2012, 04:42 PM
And what happens if you leave a spot open, your plans don't come off, and you don't pick someone up?

In most cases you'd have a fair idea who is available in the PSD before the ND and in most cases the players destination is pretty much settled before it happens.

Sockeye Salmon
26-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Thought occurred to me after reading the Tippett thread. I'm not thinking of him though.

You pick the kid you intended to use your first rookie pick on like Roberts

westdog54
27-10-2012, 01:48 PM

Exactly. Anyone overlooked in the ND can nominate for the PSD.

mjp
31-10-2012, 12:58 PM
It makes sense to me to save a pick for the PSD EVERY year...there is always 'someone' who cannot come to terms on a contract who no-one thought would be available.

jazzadogs
31-10-2012, 01:47 PM
With the 'delisted free agency period', running from 1st Nov-13th Nov, we may not have to wait until the PSD.

I'd say that if we have our eye on Petterd or Bate, we'll snap them up over the next couple of days.

Mofra
31-10-2012, 01:53 PM
We don't have any rookie picks this year (probably the last time it will occur).

I'd expect with the new free agency system there will be someone decent available in the PSD every year from now on, moreso than previously.

Getting Fletcher Roberts may have clouded my judgement however - I like the kid.

F'scary
31-10-2012, 02:16 PM
With the 'delisted free agency period', running from 1st Nov-13th Nov, we may not have to wait until the PSD.

I'd say that if we have our eye on Petterd or Bate, we'll snap them up over the next couple of days.

How would this work in relation to the number of picks in the ND? Have I got the following correct?

We have downsized the list by 10.

We have Hunter (pick 50 F/S), Stevens & Young joining the list for ND pick swaps.

That leaves 7

Campbell & Johannisen upgraded (via last two picks in ND, I presume, #'s 107 & 125).

That's 5.

We have picks 5,6 & 22, which are sacrosanct.

That leaves 2.

If we take either of Petterd or Bate then we don't use pick 89. If we take both, then we don't use pick 51 as well.

I could see some value in getting a recycled but not too old player instead of using ND pick 89.

But it seems to me that not many clubs pass at pick 51.

Sedat
31-10-2012, 02:20 PM
But it seems to me that not many clubs pass at pick 51.
Hopefully we don't, othwewise what was the point of activating the Sam Reid compensation pick this year (which is pick 51)?

F'scary
31-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Hopefully we don't, othwewise what was the point of activating the Sam Reid compensation pick this year (which is pick 51)?

Good point.

Let us note that the compensation is pick 51 - didn't we originally use pick 35 some years ago to get Reid? I guess the AFL compensation committee saw him play. Was that the same year we used pick 11 to get Everitt? What a year that was at the draft: 11 on Everitt and 35 on Reid. But we probably have had worse years...

Sedat
31-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Good point.

Let us note that the compensation is pick 51 - didn't we originally use pick 35 some years ago to get Reid? I guess the AFL compensation committee saw him play. Was that the same year we used pick 11 to get Everitt? What a year that was at the draft: 11 on Everitt and 35 on Reid. But we probably have had worse years...
Reid was the following year in 2007 - in that year we got Grant at 5, Ward at 19, Reid at 35, Wood at 43, Boumann at 48 and O'Keefe at 60. We also brought in Hudson during trade week. The Reid pick was actually something of a freebie thrown in with a swap of picks with West Coke. We originally had pick 22 and we gave this to WC in exchange for picks 30 and 35 - Adelaide had settled on a pick range of 22 to 30 for Hudson in order to get the deal done, so instead of giving them pick 22 straight out, we got 30 off WC and used this to get Hudson (with 38 and 43 also swapped between Dogs and Crows) - that left us with the additional pick 35 which was used on Reid. Confused?? :D

F'scary
31-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Reid was the following year in 2007 - in that year we got Grant at 5, Ward at 19, Reid at 35, Wood at 43, Boumann at 48 and O'Keefe at 60. We also brought in Hudson during trade week. The Reid pick was actually something of a freebie thrown in with a swap of picks with West Coke. We originally had pick 22 and we gave this to WC in exchange for picks 30 and 35 - Adelaide had settled on a pick range of 22 to 30 for Hudson in order to get the deal done, so instead of giving them pick 22 straight out, we got 30 off WC and used this to get Hudson (with 38 and 43 also swapped between Dogs and Crows) - that left us with the additional pick 35 which was used on Reid. Confused?? :D

Ta Sedat, so we sort of got Hudson & Reid for pick 22 in 2007.

Looking at that, Grant @#5 - has not met expectations; Ward @#19 - poached by Demetriou's love child; Reid - enough said already; ...only Wood @#43 represented good value (given the abduction of Ward).

Also "West Coke." Typo? Or what they do?

Sorry, Hudson gave good service for 3 years.

azabob
31-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Ta Sedat, so we sort of got Hudson & Reid for pick 22 in 2007.

Looking at that, Grant @#5 - has not met expectations; Ward @#19 - poached by Demetriou's love child; Reid - enough said already; ...only Wood @#43 represented good value (given the abduction of Ward).

Also "West Coke." Typo? Or what they do?

Sorry, Hudson gave good service for 3 years.

Not a typo, what they do / did

jazzadogs
31-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Josh Toy has been officially delisted by Gold Coast according to the AFL website. If we are going to use the last spot on our list for a 'delistee', he'd by my pick.

Toy > Petterd > use pick 89 > Bate > Prismall. Jacobs is at the top of the list if he decides to leave.

China Dog
31-10-2012, 11:05 PM
I would rather Toy than Bate, Pettard, Prismall or Post. I would still like to pick-up Ben Jacobs if he is leaving Port and think he is worth considering. If we don't want to use pick 22 on him, then we may need to delist another (one of Vez, Skinner or Markovic)

F'scary
01-11-2012, 05:14 PM
I would rather Toy than Bate, Pettard, Prismall or Post. I would still like to pick-up Ben Jacobs if he is leaving Port and think he is worth considering. If we don't want to use pick 22 on him, then we may need to delist another (one of Vez, Skinner or Markovic)

Toy is yet another midfielder. We now have a lot of them. What are the reasons for going after him?

Eastdog
01-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Toy is yet another midfielder. We now have a lot of them. What are the reasons for going after him?

Also Ive heard Josh Toy has a heart condition I believe as well. What we really want is a good full forward.

F'scary
01-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Also Ive heard Josh Toy has a heart condition I believe as well. What we really want is a good full forward.

We have early picks 5, 6 & 22. We live in hope.

w3design
01-11-2012, 09:27 PM

Thank all the gods we are away in London then over the next few days, we might miss another Daws type bullit. :)

LostDoggy
13-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Prismal just delisted by Bombers. A bit of talk around that he will fight it out with Bate for the last spot on our list. Pretty sure I know what most people will say about this one!

Mofra
13-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Don't want Prismall.
I'd prefer Bate to Tom Young on our list

The Bulldogs Bite
13-11-2012, 04:45 PM
They are both terrible footballers at senior AFL level.

Sounds harsh, but really, I will be extremely disappointed and frustrated if we waste a spot on the list with Bate or Prismall.

bornadog
13-11-2012, 04:48 PM
They are both terrible footballers at senior AFL level.

Sounds harsh, but really, I will be extremely disappointed and frustrated if we waste a spot on the list with Bate or Prismall.

Me too.

Maddog37
13-11-2012, 05:12 PM
There s a low overall number of picks being used in this draft from what I can gather. Maybe there is simply not enough quality at pick 89 and a senior player/money ball type pick is less risk. Not as sexy but percentage wise a better bet.