PDA

View Full Version : What are you looking forward to the most for the 2013 season?

GVGjr
27-10-2012, 01:06 PM
We have just come off a very hard season in 2012 so it's time for a bit more of an upbeat discussion about the 2013 season and what you are looking forward to the most.

For me it's about the development of the younger players especially Luke Dahlhaus, Mitch Wallis Tom Liberatore, Christian Howard and Clay Smith.

Dahlhaus has been an exciting small forward who has certainly applied a lot of defensive pressure to his opponents and given the forward line some much need pace.
Is 2013 the season to see him move more into the midfield rotation and provide us with more dash and spark?

Wallis made great strides in 2012 and lifted his game. If he is capable of taking another step forward in 2013 then he will really be a great player for us.

We all know that Liberatore hit a significant bump in the road in 2012 and it will be interesting to see how he responds to the challenge ahead. I think he can turn this into a positive.

Howard has some similar challenges to Liberatore and it's time for him to stand up and deliver on his talents. Throughout the 2012 some good performances were often backed up by some poor ones and I'm hoping that he can close the gap between and minimise some of the poorer efforts.

Clay Smith has to benefit from a 2nd pre-season and if we can improve his kicking then he will be a very valuable player for us.

Who excites you the most for next season?

ledge
27-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Clay Smith bigtime after hearing about his Pre season last year and what he did,this kid is going to be awesome.
Looking forward to Koby at 21 is ripe to bring more hardness.
I am seriously looking forward to see a bunch of kids who just love to hit hard and go in start to make teams think wow what's this club doing!

westdog54
27-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Personally I can't wait to see what level Dahlhaus can get to in the next couple of years. What he's been able to do with 2 years in the system is fantastic. Imagine what he'll be able to bring to the table as a 50-100 game player.

I'm keen to see a fitter, wiser Clay Smith running around as well. I think he'll be something special. Scott West's kicking wasn't flash either IIRC.

Maddog37
27-10-2012, 01:26 PM
For me it is all about being competitive and sneaking a few upset wins.

Individually I have fingers, toes etc all crossed that Ayce steps up a level.

GVGjr
27-10-2012, 01:32 PM
For me it is all about being competitive and sneaking a few upset wins.

Individually I have fingers, toes etc all crossed that Ayce steps up a level.

Love it. I hope he does step up.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-10-2012, 01:32 PM
There's a few on my list:

Clay Smith with another pre-season under his belt should be an interesting proposition. He had a very solid second half of 2012 but did run out of steam in the second half of games which is understandable. As has been mentioned, if he can improve his kicking, he will be a really good player. He's very combative; he'll charge through two opponents, break another in the process, and set up a goal through ridiculous aggression and persistence. I really like what he brings to the table and whilst he's another 3 years off being an absolute beast, his progress will be interesting in 2012.

Another one for mine is Jason Johanssen who I was quite impressed with in his few AFL games in 2012. He moves really well; knows when to put in a quick step, when to side step, when to compose himself. He's also got everything we need; pace, run & carry and skill.

I'll be looking at Liam Jones to bounce back after a horrible 2012. He has a lot of areas he needs to improve in, but has a nice set of attributes to build upon. Hopefully he can add a little more size too.

As mentioned, it will be good to see how Libba responds along with Dahlhaus and another year in the system.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-10-2012, 01:36 PM
For me it's about seeing who our regular back 6 shapes up to be by season's end.
With Lake gone, and as per the coach's words, Roughead can expect (all things being equal) to be given a solid run at fullback.

It will be interesting to see how a relatively inexperienced back 6 holds up.
We can expect the likes of Markovic, Talia, Roberts, Wood, to see considerable game time down there.

How much Morris can contribute after such a shocking injury is another variable, as well as whether Williams, Addison and Murph are positioned predominantly up forward or down back.
We may also see Young, Jong, Pearce and possibly Austin get further experience down back also.

It was obvious our forward line was aenemic last year, and was our achilles heel. I am hopeful we will see some improvement there next season. For 2013 I think our backline looms as a potential danger for us, given the paucity of experience of the unit has a whole.

I'm not yet sold on Roughy as the answer down back and in an ideal world I would like to see him given the chance to focus on his ruckword. However it's fairly obvious that with Lake's departure he is going to be needed down back, for a large part of the season anyway.

So overall I am looking forward to seeing who amongst these guys stands up and takes their opportunity, and also who struggles with the extra burden that will come with not having an experienced dual AA defender along side them.

LostDoggy
27-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I'am not hard to please, just improvement is all I would like.

always right
27-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Many are looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. I'll be satisfied if I see the tunnel.

GVGjr
27-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Many are looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. I'll be satisfied if I see the tunnel.

Lets keep it in line with the opening post.

always right
27-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Lets keep it in line with the opening post.

Fine.

I'm looking forward to continued improvement from our young blokes. It's difficult when you don't know their ceiling.

I'm hoping we can get a stable big six to enable us play Murphy forward. He improves our forward line significantly and might provide a domino effect. I really want Grant to have a breakout year.

Would be extremely heartened if our draft picks could have an impact this year.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I looking forward to see some of our team who are yet to show what they can really do, go to a new level: Jarrod Grant; Ayce Cordy; Liam Jones; Zeph Skinner and/or Pat Vezpremi. I want to see at least one game each from as many as possible of this lot to make their mark this season.
Also look forward to seeing:
- Tom Williams enjoy running amok at CHF, enjoying the chance to present and create as opposed to primarily negate at CHB;
- the McCartney influence and game plan paying dividends;
-Dale Morris continue his career and overcome his injury;
-Tory Dickson continue to snag goals;
-Fletcher Roberts winning a Rising Star nomination

F'scary
27-10-2012, 02:46 PM
From the first bounce of Round 1:

Jones & Cordy start holding all the big grabs. Suddenly, we have an invincible “twin tower” forward line. All year, the other teams have a massive headache finding defenders big enough to cope with these two sticky-fingered monsters. Their conversion rate is a steady 67% and both kick 40+ goals for the year playing deep.

Higgins & Dickson feast on everything that Jones & Cordy do not mark. They kick 50 goals between them for the season.

Grant, J leads everywhere on the forward line burning off tagger after tagger, taking 8+ marks a match from leads. Other teams cannot find someone who can go with him all game and cut off his leading marks. His conversion rate improves to 67% and he kicks 20 for the year.

Koby & Clay become an acclaimed defensive midfield double act teaming together all day to completely choke supply to the opposition's forward line.

Cooney's knee has been successfully treated and he plays to 90% of the standard he achieved in his great 2008 season.

Morris steps back into the ring as if he had never been away.

Howard, Addison & Wood all have consistent seasons of a high standard and can be relied upon to beat their opponents week in and week out.

Jong, Johannison, Talia, Cambell, Roberts & Pearce all build substantially on the promise they showed in 2012.

Skinner becomes the Nitro X-Bomb sub of the competition.

Roughead cleans up all year and is voted all Australian FB or CHB. The photo highlight of the season comes when he takes a massive specky over Brian Lake who has been moved into the Hawthorn forward line after failing at FB.

We finish the home & away season in the top 6 and Macca is voted coach of the year.

ledge
27-10-2012, 02:57 PM

Jones & Cordy start holding all the big grabs. Suddenly, we have an invincible “twin tower” forward line. All year, the other teams have a massive headache finding defenders big enough to cope with these two sticky-fingered monsters. Their conversion rate is a steady 67% and both kick 40+ goals for the year playing deep.

Higgins & Dickson feast on everything that Jones & Cordy do not mark. They kick 50 goals between them for the season.

Grant, J leads everywhere on the forward line burning off tagger after tagger, taking 8+ marks a match from leads. Other teams cannot find someone who can go with him all game and cut off his leading marks. His conversion rate improves to 67% and he kicks 20 for the year.

Koby & Clay become an acclaimed defensive midfield double act teaming together all day to completely choke supply to the opposition's forward line.

Cooney's knee has been successfully treated and he plays to 90% of the standard he achieved in his great 2008 season.

Howard, Addison & Wood all have consistent seasons of a high standard and can be relied upon to beat their opponents week in and week out.

Jong, Johannison, Talia, Cambell, Roberts & Pearce all build substantially on the promise they showed in 2012.

Roughead cleans up all year and is voted all Australian FB or CHB. The photo highlight of the season comes when he takes a massive specky over Brian Lake who has been moved into the Hawthorn forward line after failing at FB.

We finish the home & away season in the top 6 and Macca is voted coach of the year.

Haha love it

westdog54
27-10-2012, 03:02 PM

I don't know if you're being overly optimistic or you're being a touch facaetious but I loved reading it anyway.

Having said that, I'll bookmark this post for the last round of 2014. I reckon you'll have just about nailed it for then.

F'scary
27-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I don't know if you're being overly optimistic or you're being a touch facaetious but I loved reading it anyway.

Having said that, I'll bookmark this post for the last round of 2014. I reckon you'll have just about nailed it for then.

Not facetious. Just looking at the potential and hoping.

Sedat
27-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm looking forward to significant improvement, and I'm not talking about the W/L column either. I look forward to a much improved system and better ball movement in games. I look forward to our coaching group starting to influence the flow of games and giving the opposition coaches box food for thought. I look forward to staying in the contest and refusing to yield to opposition pressure, and not crumble meekly like we did all too often in 2012. If we can achieve all of the above, I will be very a content supporter.

AndrewP6
27-10-2012, 03:12 PM

Hahaha thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

bornadog
27-10-2012, 03:25 PM
I want to see us being competitive for four quarters and not just in the first half. Its hard watching a ten goal thrashing every week. Like Sedat I don't care too much about the W/L ratio for 2013.

Player watch:

The forward Line Jones: - he really has some talent and it would great if he can start to play consistent football. Dickson - I think he can kick 50 goals next year

Shaping the midfield - with all the young talent we have, it will be good to see how they all progress. In particular Libba and Wallis going into their third seasons.

The backline -Roughy, Talia, Roberts - how will they progress in 2013.

The next generation leaders - the players that are now ready to step up as the next senior generation - Griffen, Higgins, Williams and up coming Wood, Grant. They have to start replacing the likes of Boyd, Cross, Gia and Murphy as on field leaders.

Finally - the new recruits - can't wait to see how they perform.

Dancin' Douggy
27-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I want to see Ryan Griffen win the Brownlow.

Ghost Dog
27-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Just the chance to see BMac's plan evolve.

Seeing Peter Gordon and hearing him speak.

New kids. Koby Stevens in a Bulldogs jumper, ripped and ready to roll.

Will Minson, I was 100% sure he was goner. Love watching him stomp around the field. ^_^

Hotdog60
27-10-2012, 06:21 PM
I'd like to see Panos break through after having a very good NAB cup. He makes FF his own as a leading full forward and finish the year with high 30's. Our mid field starts to click and become very tough on ballers the opposing hate.
But across the board improvement in skill and endurance. I think our youth looks good and we will finish better than this year.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
27-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I want to see Ryan Griffen win the Brownlow.

Me too. I've been backing him for years.

Remi Moses
27-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm looking forward to significant improvement, and I'm not talking about the W/L column either. I look forward to a much improved system and better ball movement in games. I look forward to our coaching group starting to influence the flow of games and giving the opposition coaches box food for thought. I look forward to staying in the contest and refusing to yield to opposition pressure, and not crumble meekly like we did all too often in 2012. If we can achieve all of the above, I will be very a content supporter.

Agree entirely. Gotta be more competitive

SonofScray
27-10-2012, 07:39 PM

This.

I want to see individuals improve but most of all I want that hard nosed, dogged footy that B Mac promised. The type of football that makes teams not want to play us. It mightn't impact the W/L column, but it'd give me great joy to see us grind and fight and cause angst to our opposition.

Dancin' Douggy
28-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I know this is going against the spirit of this thread.
But I'm looking forward to NEXT years draft as well.
Can I say that?

Eastdog
28-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Hoping to see Matty Panos debut next season and improvement from 2012. I would like to see competitiveness especially in our 2nd halves as some of our 1st halves this year we stayed with teams and looked alright.

Mantis
28-10-2012, 04:56 PM

Yep.

I want to see the bold bits.. Better ball movement & better tactics.

I also look forward to the improvement from our young talls - Jones, Grant, Roberts, Talia, etc.

ledge
28-10-2012, 06:28 PM
At the moment it's all about how good we are going with list management, I'm looking forward to seeing if he can coach

Go_Dogs
28-10-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Griffen do what he did against Sydney towards the end of the year consistently. I'm looking forward to watching Dahlhaus continue to grow as a player, Howard and Tutt finally making their mark, Wood becoming more consistent offensively, Morris and Williams playing every game and doing well. There is a lot to look forward to.

Hopefully the year ends with the side playing consistent football, a clear game plan and a realistic chance of finals in 2014.

1eyedog
28-10-2012, 10:39 PM
My old seat back, it's a good place to disagree vehemently with those fluro green rabbits.

LostDoggy
29-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Ayce Cordy. Hoping he has his breakout year. Massive believer that he's got the stuff.

jeemak
29-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Where does one start?

Looking forward to seeing Jones rebound from a terrible year under a new system, and adapting. Coupled with that, Cordy and Grant providing the required support to him to shoulder the load up forward.

Higgins showing how talented he is through consistent performance rather than through flashes across a few games. He's apparently in a position to complete a full preseason this summer, and for that reason he has no excuses. I've backed him continually, I'd love to see him fulfill his potential.

The development of what I think will eventually form the core of the best group of midfielders in the competition. Smith, Dahlhaus, Wallis, Liberatore and now Stevens. The first four are seriously good prospects, as good as any group we've had come through the place together that I can remember. If Stevens can add to that then I'll be very happy.

Glimpses of resilliance from our completely undermanned back line. Roughead will become a player at some stage, and it's up to guys like Wood and Howard to take a step forward and minimise their poor games and start stringing good games together more often.

The evolution of the taxing "cracking in" game plan, that would see us present a balance between neutralising a contest and having us display an offensive side to that effort. On the back of a solid preseason we should be well placed to deliver on that.

Dazza
29-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Players I'd like to see contributing in our best 22 all year:

Jones, Wood, Grant, Roughead, Howard, Tutt, cordy. All of these players will have had enough time on the list to really prove their worth in 2013. Worrying signs going forward if they can't make much of an impact. I'm hoping they all become AFL quality players.

I'm looking forward to watching Talia, Roberts, JJ, Smith, campbell, Libba, Wallis and Dahlhaus progress as footballers. All seem capable of being good AFL players.

I'm hoping the team gets picked on merit next year and older players under-performing are not certain starters every week.

We seem to have picked up a good bunch of kids last year and I hope we can manage to do that again.

SquirrelGrip
29-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Big Will wins the Brownlow, 10 votes clear of the second place getter.

Bulldog4life
29-10-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm hoping that we play to our very best for most of the season. I'm also hoping that we don't see the collapses that we saw this season. The wins will take care of themselves. The two individual players that I hope take the next big step are Ace Cordy & Liam Jones.

bulldogsman
29-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Looking forward to seeing Morris back out on the field again.
Really wanna see Williams play forward after a full pre season (hopefully) and to stay injury free.
Mostly I'm just looking forward to seeing improvement from all the younger guys and even some older ones. Tutt is one guy I'm really hoping has a break out year.

jazzadogs
29-10-2012, 09:32 PM
I look forward to the development of not only our players, but of our coaching staff. Part of the risk we took when hiring McCartney was that he had no experience as a senior AFL coach, and I'm sure he learned a lot in his first season. Hopefully he continues to build on it.

Individual players I'm looking forward to?

Dahlhaus makes football so enjoyable, with his attitude and energy around the football. I look forward to seeing him push into the midfield more, and hope he develops a tank that will enable him to consistently influence games.

Cordy had a few games/moments this year where we got a glimpse of his potential, and I think over the next two years things will click on a more consistent basis. With Jones, I'm looking forward to what could be a really exciting combination.

Higgins is a player who we've all been waiting for, to come out of the shadows and show us what he's capable of. All supporters will have their fingers and toes crossed that Macca's prediction of his first full pre-season in years comes true, and Missy comes out firing in 2013. Can really add a lot to our side at full fitness.

Our picks 5 and 6, whoever they end up being, are probably what I'm most excited about. I hope that we can find players with both these picks who can play >50% of games next year, and add a bit of spark to the team. Pick 22, Hunter and the rest (if we have any spots left for draftees!) are also exciting, but the possibility of drafting two potentially/hopefully elite players with picks 5 and 6 is the thing I look forward to most.