PDA

View Full Version : Panos Delisted

LostDoggy
30-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Have heard that Matty Panos has been delisted. Saw a tweet from someone who spoke to a player at the club today.

KT31
30-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Have heard that Matty Panos has been delisted. Saw a tweet from someone who spoke to a player at the club today.

Does this mean we have reached an agreement to take on a recycled player (Bates etc) or we will utilise a later draft pick ?

LostDoggy
30-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm only guessing but I wouldn't mind betting that we'll grab a recycled in the PSD

Eastdog
30-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Disappointed for him. Was actually looking forward to seeing him debut next season but good luck to Matty Panos for whatever he wants to do now. I don't think we should go for Bate as quite a few people I've spoken to don't rate him highly. We should really try now and go for a key forward as Panos who we thought would come in and play that role in the future is gone.

Cyberdoggie
30-10-2012, 04:30 PM
I couldn't see him in the pre-season training pics either.

Everyone else seemed to be that was under a cloud.

LostDoggy
30-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Obviously hasn't been confirmed but this person is pretty reliable and got it direct from a player today while literally being at the club.

Eastdog
30-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm only guessing but I wouldn't mind betting that we'll grab a recycled in the PSD

What kind of player from the PSD should we get?

Bulldog4life
30-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Two potential key forwards in Panos & Hill gone.

LostDoggy
30-10-2012, 04:35 PM
What kind of player from the PSD should we get?

Well a key forward would be nice but not sure any of the recycled players fit that bill. If not, we could do worse than get some pace and good foot skills.

Templeton31
30-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Kirk Tippett? ;)

LostDoggy
30-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Kirk Tippett? ;)

Ha! Not sure he would want to come and not sure I'd be comfortable with his salary

Eastdog
30-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Kirk Tippett? ;)

That would be a very good pick up as we had a keen interest in him. Be interesting to see what happens with the Tippett situation.

G-Mo77
30-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Does this mean we have reached an agreement to take on a recycled player (Bates etc) or we will utilise a later draft pick ?

Or Jayden Post and Brent Prismall. :)

Surely another season with Panos would be better than those guys.

Eastdog
30-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Or Jayden Post and Brent Prismall. :)

Surely another season with Panos would be better than those guys.

Why was Panos promoted to the senior list in the first place. Don't follow the VFL too much but was it his form with Williamstown.

Sockeye Salmon
30-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Why was Panos promoted to the senior list in the first place. Don't follow the VFL too much but was it his form with Williamstown.

He had a really good finals series in 2011 but the guts of it was that the kid couldn't run. If you can't run you just can't play.

If it was 1972 he'd be a star.

Eastdog
30-10-2012, 05:03 PM
He had a really good finals series in 2011 but the guts of it was that the kid couldn't run. If you can't run you just can't play.

Well that explains it. Today's game is very fast and if he can't run then he will be in trouble.

bornadog
30-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Two potential key forwards in Panos & Hill gone.

Funny thing is Hill is still listed as a player on the club website, whereas all the others delisted, were taken off pretty quickly, including Sherman.

Bulldog Revolution
30-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Panos, Skinner and Vez seemed to be the ones under the pump this week

Any news on Skinner or Vez?

G-Mo77
30-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Panos, Skinner and Vez seemed to be the ones under the pump this week

Any news on Skinner or Vez?

Both trained yesterday so I'm assuming they'll be there next year.

azabob
30-10-2012, 05:31 PM

Yet Skinner could yet stay. Not saying Matty should be on the list, but surely on football ability and nous Panos is far ahead of Skinner it is not funny.

Sedat
30-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Well we also promoted Hooper and Mulligan from the rookie list, not to mention Brodie Moles. Some of the more mystifying list mangement decisions made by any club in recent memory.

bornadog
30-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Well we also promoted Hooper and Mulligan from the rookie list, not to mention Brodie Moles. Some of the more mystifying list mangement decisions made by any club in recent memory.

It happens, we gave them a go and it didn't work. You can go through every club and find mistakes, look at Collingwood they have delisted/Traded 13 players this season. We are at 9 to date. Really Skinner and Vez should be added to the list if we were fair dinkum.

The biggest issue we have had is holding on to players too long and not turning them over.

Eastdog
30-10-2012, 05:51 PM
It happens, we gave them a go and it didn't work. You can go through every club and find mistakes, look at Collingwood they have delisted/Traded 13 players this season. We are at 9 to date. Really Skinner and Vez should be added to the list if we were fair dinkum.

The biggest issue we have had is holding on to players too long and not turning them over.

Fair point BAD. I don't think it is a bad thing at all turning over players the way we are and if they are no good then they shouldn't be on the list. We are really culling our list which we need to do making sure we hang on to the young kids who we take us forward and the experienced players that will help them.

Sedat
30-10-2012, 05:53 PM
It happens, we gave them a go and it didn't work. You can go through every club and find mistakes
Every club has made national draft selection blunders, but I'd struggle to find any club who has promoted so many rookies that have shown nothing onto their senior lists. And it is a big deal because for the last couple of seasons we've had 4 players on our senior list taking up club time and resources for essentially no future onfield reward. Spots on our senior list should be precious commodities, and not given out like candy.

F'scary
30-10-2012, 05:56 PM

Yet Skinner could yet stay. Not saying Matty should be on the list, but surely on football ability and nous Panos is far ahead of Skinner it is not funny.

As I understand the situation:

Panos is a dick-eye dead shot for goal.

But he does not "crack in"

The rule seems to be that you cannot be a dick-eye shooter but not crack in.

Eastdog
30-10-2012, 06:01 PM

That's the problem as Sockeye said in that he can't run and so most likely would not get into the contests very much. From that he could be a bit like a Fevola sort of if you know what I mean.

F'scary
30-10-2012, 06:04 PM
That's the problem as Sockeye said in that he can't run and so most likely would not get into the contests very much. From that he could be a bit like a Fevola sort of if you know what I mean.

Interesting. So he would get somewhat colourful if the ball was not delivered right on his chest?

azabob
30-10-2012, 06:05 PM

No, the few times I saw Panos live he chased and did the team thing. Comes back to SS and Panos not having the ability to run, run and run.

bornadog
30-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Every club has made national draft selection blunders, but I'd struggle to find any club who has promoted so many rookies that have shown nothing onto their senior lists. And it is a big deal because for the last couple of seasons we've had 4 players on our senior list taking up club time and resources for essentially no future onfield reward. Spots on our senior list should be precious commodities, and not given out like candy.

Hence why I said this:

The rookie upgrades isnot the issue, we have had a lot of success with the rookie list.

Eastdog
30-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Interesting. So he would get somewhat colourful if the ball was not delivered right on his chest?

As he can't run very well then yeah you can predict he won't crack into the contest to much. Fevola was like that.

Mantis
30-10-2012, 06:18 PM
The rookie upgrades isnot the issue, we have had a lot of success with the rookie list.

We have had success with the rookie list, as much as any other team, but the cases mentioned by Sedat were massive blunders.

chef
30-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Fair enough decision. Skinner and Vez should feel very lucky.

To bad we are going to replace him with a hack from another side like Bate or Prismal instead of drafting another kid.

Maddog37
30-10-2012, 06:20 PM
We have a dedicated list manager now so things should improve.

GVGjr
30-10-2012, 07:19 PM
I've received the same information. I didn't mind Panos at all but he just didn't have the mobility to make it as a regular senior player.

Go_Dogs
30-10-2012, 07:57 PM
I've received the same information. I didn't mind Panos at all but he just didn't have the mobility to make it as a regular senior player.

It's disappointing for Panos. I must admit, I was of the view he could make it based on the transformation of his body shape pre-season 2011. It seems despite the improvement he still hasn't got the mobility/acceleration off the mark to play as a lead up forward and hasn't shown the ability to hold down another position full time. It's a tough call, but probably one we had to make.

Am I right in that we would have had to pay Panos out too - rookies with a minimum 2 years when upgraded?

Hopefully he heads back to Norwood, could see him kick 80+ goals at SANFL level next year.

AndrewP6
30-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Kirk Tippett? ;)

Kurt might be more reliable! :)

AndrewP6
30-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Shame, would've been good to see him make it. Not that it means much, but I met him at the East-west day after he was picked up, seems a nice guy.

westdog54
30-10-2012, 08:00 PM

More like:

But he'd struggle to get a touch all game.

The rule is its no good being a good shot if you can't get the ball to begin with.

jazzadogs
30-10-2012, 08:28 PM
More like:

But he'd struggle to get a touch all game.

The rule is its no good being a good shot if you can't get the ball to begin with.
Or even a dead-eye dick?

Disappointed for Panos, will be interesting to see if anyone gives him a second chance. As far as his replacement, I would prefer Gillies from Geelong over Bate or Prismall.

Eastdog
30-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Or even a dead-eye dick?

Disappointed for Panos, will be interesting to see if anyone gives him a second chance. As far as his replacement, I would prefer Gillies from Geelong over Bate or Prismall.

What Gillies been like at Geelong? Dont know a lot about him. Any potential to be a good player if developed right.

Throughandthrough
30-10-2012, 09:16 PM
It's disappointing for Panos. I must admit, I was of the view he could make it based on the transformation of his body shape pre-season 2011. It seems despite the improvement he still hasn't got the mobility/acceleration off the mark to play as a lead up forward and hasn't shown the ability to hold down another position full time. It's a tough call, but probably one we had to make.

Am I right in that we would have had to pay Panos out too - rookies with a minimum 2 years when upgraded?

Hopefully he heads back to Norwood, could see him kick 80+ goals at SANFL level next year.

Surely he would rather a sea side club

Has plenty of mates at Glenelg! You guys are too good anyway

azabob
30-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Or even a dead-eye dick?

Not sure Gillies is up to AFL standard, especially considering he is meant to be a key back and Geelong's best tall defender, perhaps ever has just retired.

Remi Moses
30-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Should envoke the no Geelong cast offs rule.
Lonergan at the Bombres was unlucky.
Lot of Hawthorn folk are a bit bemused young Schnieder there got delisted.

Remi Moses
30-10-2012, 10:04 PM

The way the game is now that if you don't run up and down the ground and also put pressure on. Career over
Panos would have been a very nice footballer in a different era.

LostDoggy
30-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Ill get in early - NO to Jason Gram!

jazzadogs
30-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Not sure Gillies is up to AFL standard, especially considering he is meant to be a key back and Geelong's best tall defender, perhaps ever has just retired.
Seemed to perform well in all of his AFL games, serviceable at least. Lonergan and Taylor are two pretty solid defenders, the fact that they brought in Rivers obviously cost him his spot. Only 22, plenty of development left in him IMO.

As far as balance on our list goes, he is probably too similar to Talia/Markovic/Austin to be suited to us, but I would still put a case forward for picking him over Prismall/Bate.

w3design
30-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Look if this is the case, that Panos has been delisted, it is a pretty sad day. I have seen a lot of of his games at both VFL senior and reserve levels, and yes he has limitations [ as do all players], and I can accept that. But there are still several players on the roster that for mine should have gone well before Panos.
To make it far worse however, if there is any truth at all about the absolute hacks and crocks we have supposedly been associated with or chasing, it would be going from the frying pan, only to be jumping directly into the fire.
Fair enough having a "no d1ckheads "policy, but what about a "No Importing Cr^p" policy !!!
Some of the "players" we have supposedly been after, seriously make me wonder if there is any air in our tyres at all.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-10-2012, 11:24 PM
I would consider looking at Pettard if his body was OK.

24 and talented, sounds like he's level headed so I assume his attitude is OK. He's been dreadfully unlucky with injuries, even when he has played.

He would be a better option than Panos/Hill/Skinner/Vez and Bate/Prismall/Post.

Ghost Dog
30-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Have to agree Paul. Some of the guys we have been chasing or reported to be chasing ( Bate ) are not better than Sherman for example, who we delisted.

bornadog
30-10-2012, 11:37 PM
We have had success with the rookie list, as much as any other team, but the cases mentioned by Sedat were massive blunders.

It happens to all teams.

Ghost Dog
30-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Ill get in early - NO to Jason Gram!

I hear his chase and ability to put pressure on victims .....opps opponents is very good!

ledge
31-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Look if this is the case, that Panos has been delisted, it is a pretty sad day. I have seen a lot of of his games at both VFL senior and reserve levels, and yes he has limitations [ as do all players], and I can accept that. But there are still several players on the roster that for mine should have gone well before Panos.
To make it far worse however, if there is any truth at all about the absolute hacks and crocks we have supposedly been associated with or chasing, it would be going from the frying pan, only to be jumping directly into the fire.
Fair enough having a "no d1ckheads "policy, but what about a "No Importing Cr^p" policy !!!
Some of the "players" we have supposedly been after, seriously make me wonder if there is any air in our tyres at all.

Haha So your hanging it on our recruiters because the media mentions names of players to our club.
What has the club got to do with it?
Now this is the clubs stand straight from
The coach ... Young hard good head on shoulders players, also said the club let out too many secrets over the years, you will only know what players we are chasing when we sign them. What the media writes and what's going on player wise is media guess work.
When the media mention a player my thoughts go directly back
To Maccas statement if they don't meet those things it's not happening, so far all he has said and who we have recruited are spot on.

Mantis
31-10-2012, 08:47 AM
I would consider looking at Pettard if his body was OK.

24 and talented, sounds like he's level headed so I assume his attitude is OK. He's been dreadfully unlucky with injuries, even when he has played.

He would be a better option than Panos/Hill/Skinner/Vez and Bate/Prismall/Post.

His off field activities (from what I have seen) might not pass the 'good bloke' criteria.

It happens to all teams.

I'm only interested in what we do and we stuffed up.

LostDoggy
31-10-2012, 10:12 AM
List changes just confirmed on Twitter. Panos gone

Hotdog60
31-10-2012, 10:16 AM
List changes just confirmed on Twitter. Panos gone

Also on the Bulldogs Site

1eyedog
31-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Have to agree Paul. Some of the guys we have been chasing or reported to be chasing ( Bate ) are not better than Sherman for example, who we delisted.

It's not so much saying Bate is better or worse than Sherman so we shouldn't draft him, if a particular player fills a niche then it doesn't matter if he is not as good a footballer as Sherman what is important is that he fills a gap in our squad. We are after lead up forwards, Bate can play that position better than Sherman can.

LostDoggy
31-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Seems like Hill, Panos and Moles are all pretty tight friends, well from Twitter anyway. Interesting that they've all been delisted. Am I reading too much into it?

Mofra
31-10-2012, 10:41 AM
2 years is for players picked up in the national draft who are not mature-agers.
Rookie upgrades can have a 1 year contract minimum.

G-Mo77
31-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Seems like Hill, Panos and Moles are all pretty tight friends, well from Twitter anyway. Interesting that they've all been delisted. Am I reading too much into it?

Not sure but I had to stop following Moles.

Maddog37
31-10-2012, 10:46 AM

The best example of the media being muppets is the Prismall case. Dogs are keen etc etc and he was not even delisted...........

Axe Man
31-10-2012, 10:58 AM
The best example of the media being muppets is the Prismall case. Dogs are keen etc etc and he was not even delisted...........

Not saying you're wrong but he still may be delisted yet. He hasn't been re-signed and there is still a second list lodgement date to come on 15 November.

Maddog37
31-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Good point Axe Man. It is bizarre though how these chinese whispers start and how every reject from another club is automatically linked to us.

jazzadogs
31-10-2012, 12:18 PM
He sure does tweet a Hughge amount of garbage.

I think Panos and Hill live together? Can't imagine their delisting had anything to do with that though...the club just made an assessment that they weren't up to it.

LostDoggy
31-10-2012, 01:42 PM

Same here, he tweets rubbish and re-tweets stuff that makes zero sense!

G-Mo77
31-10-2012, 02:35 PM

The no-dickead policy on twitter. :D

immortalmike
31-10-2012, 04:53 PM

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that it was Mark Stevens who tweeted it. Dude's one of the few respectable footy journos and if he says the Dogs were interested you can be sure we were/are interested at least at one stage.

jazzadogs
31-10-2012, 05:02 PM
I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that it was Mark Stevens who tweeted it. Dude's one of the few respectable footy journos and if he says the Dogs were interested you can be sure we were/are interested at least at one stage.
I don't love Stevo in general (has a bit of that wanker vibe that seems to permeate the HS offices), but I do trust him on all matters Bulldogs. Might be different with McCartney, but he certainly seems to have a good relationship with the club.

bornadog
31-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't love Stevo in general (has a bit of that wanker vibe that seems to permeate the HS offices), but I do trust him on all matters Bulldogs. Might be different with McCartney, but he certainly seems to have a good relationship with the club.

Stevo is a nice guy, played golf with him and Murphy once.

azabob
31-10-2012, 05:46 PM

Good to know BAD, as I was / am on the same line of thinking as jazzdogs.

bornadog
31-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Good to know BAD, as I was / am on the same line of thinking as jazzdogs.

Good Country lad:)

jazzadogs
31-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Fair enough. As long as we can all agree that Jon Ralph is no good :p

I must admit that I really couldn't stand Robbo until AFL 360, so maybe it's just a case of not coming across well in print/Twitter.

AndrewP6
31-10-2012, 09:48 PM

I think a lot of it is in-jokes, they have little or no meaning to anyone not in the loop.