PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Fixture Released.

SlimPickens
31-10-2012, 11:08 AM
The Bulldogs play four of their first five matches at Etihad Stadium, and five of their last six, among a total of 14 appearances at the Docklands ground. They have only four night games, with none on Friday night. Their biggest home games will be against Geelong, Richmond and Essendon. The Dogs face two 2012 finalists - Adelaide and West Coast - twice, with other return bouts against the Brisbane Lions, Richmond and Melbourne. They have only five six-day breaks, but seven games outside Victoria (including a home game in Darwin).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150418/default.aspx

angelopetraglia
31-10-2012, 11:18 AM
I actually prefer day games for attending the football but only four night games and not a single Friday night game really hurts the club from an exposure and marketing perspective.

Carlton who also didn't make the finals gets 11 night games and five Friday night games!

It is difficult for us to compete on a level playing field. When the fixture puts us in the back corner, in the dark and with no access to lights what chance do we have?

bornadog
31-10-2012, 11:25 AM
The Bulldogs play four of their first five matches at Etihad Stadium, and five of their last six, among a total of 14 appearances at the Docklands ground. They have only four night games, with none on Friday night. Their biggest home games will be against Geelong, Richmond and Essendon. The Dogs face two 2012 finalists - Adelaide and West Coast - twice, with other return bouts against the Brisbane Lions, Richmond and Melbourne. They have only five six-day breaks, but seven games outside Victoria (including a home game in Darwin).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150418/default.aspx

I thought the AFL said we wouldn't be playing the top four teams twice. We have been dudded again.

Bulldog4life
31-10-2012, 11:26 AM
I thought the AFL said we wouldn't be playing the top four teams twice. We have been dudded again.

Yes and only play Port, Gold Coast & GWS once.

Mantis
31-10-2012, 11:32 AM

We play 1 from 2012 twice... I think that's reasonable.

Axe Man
31-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Yes and only play Port, Gold Coast & GWS once.

I guess the plus side of that is we don't play any of those sides at home = financial disaster.

Mantis
31-10-2012, 11:36 AM
1 - Saturday, March 30 - Brisbane Lions - Etihad Stadium - Home - 1.40pm
2 - Saturday, April 6 - Fremantle - Etihad Stadium - Home - 2.10pm
3 - Sunday, April 14 - Richmond - Etihad Stadium - Away - 1.10pm
4 - Sunday, April 21 - Adelaide Crows - AAMI Stadium - Away - 2.45pm
5 - Saturday, April 27 - Geelong Cats - Etihad Stadium - Home - 7.40pm
6 - Sunday, May 5 - West Coast Eagles - Patersons Stadium - Away - 2.40pm
7 - Saturday, May 11 - North Melbourne - Etihad Stadium - Home - 4.40pm
8 - Saturday, May 18 - Gold Coast SUNS - Metricon Stadium - Away - 4.40pm
9 - Saturday, May 25 - St Kilda - Etihad Stadium - Away - 4.40pm
10 - Saturday, June 1 - Port Adelaide - TIO Stadium - Home - 7.10pm
11 - Bye
12 - Sunday, June 16 - Collingwood - Etihad Stadium - Away - 4.40pm
13 - Saturday, June 22 - Richmond - Etihad Stadium - Home - 7.40pm
14 - Saturday, June 29 - Melbourne - MCG - Away - 7.40pm
15 - Saturday, July 6 - GWS GIANTS - Manuka Oval - Away - 1.45pm
16 - Sunday, July 14 - Essendon - Etihad Stadium - Home - 3.15pm
17 - Saturday, July 20 - Hawthorn - Aurora Stadium - Away - 1.45pm
18 - Sunday, July 28 - West Coast Eagles - Etihad Stadium - Home - 3.15pm
19 - Sunday, August 4 - Sydney Swans - Etihad Stadium - Home - 1.10pm
20 - Saturday, August 10 - Carlton - Etihad Stadium - Away - 4.40pm
21 - Sunday, August 18 - Adelaide Crows - Etihad Stadium - Home - 4.40pm
22 - Sunday, August 25 - Brisbane Lions - Gabba - Away - 4.40pm
23 - TBC - Melbourne - Etihad Stadium - Home - TBA

bulldogsthru&thru
31-10-2012, 11:36 AM
I actually prefer day games for attending the football but only four night games and not a single Friday night game really hurts the club from an exposure and marketing perspective.

Carlton who also didn't make the finals gets 11 night games and five Friday night games!

It is difficult for us to compete on a level playing field. When the fixture puts us in the back corner, in the dark and with no access to lights what chance do we have?

agree. The AFLs self-feeding prophecy continues. All the big clubs get the big games to get all the exposure to attract more and more fans to grow even more whilst the small clubs are shunned and rely on the crumbs in order to survive. Its as though we are purely making up the numbers

bulldogsthru&thru
31-10-2012, 11:37 AM
We play 1 from 2012 twice... I think that's reasonable.

2: Adelaide and West Coast

SlimPickens
31-10-2012, 11:38 AM
2: Adelaide and West Coast

Didn't west coast finish 5th?

Maddog37
31-10-2012, 11:45 AM
I hate Sunday twilight games....hate, hate, hate ,hate them!!!!!!!

bornadog
31-10-2012, 12:04 PM

Yeah you are right, I didn't check when I made my statement.

7 games interstate will be fun.

LostDoggy
31-10-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm very happy we're playing in Launceston - a good excuse for another trip to beautiful Tasmania (& hubby is a Poos & Wees supporter). Also happy with the number of Saturday home games at the start of the season but unhappy that we finish with 4 Sunday home games (possibly 5 depending on when we play in the last round) 3 of those being late games. And 6 interstate AWAY games is a bit much.

Doc26
31-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Having our bye round following the Darwin game is a positive.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-10-2012, 12:38 PM

yes sorry i was thinking top 8 teams

Ghost Dog
31-10-2012, 12:40 PM
agree. The AFLs self-feeding prophecy continues. All the big clubs get the big games to get all the exposure to attract more and more fans to grow even more whilst the small clubs are shunned and rely on the crumbs in order to survive. Its as though we are purely making up the numbers

To not think there is a pecking order in sport as there is in life is naive.

I don't know much about English football, but is their a premier league equivelent? A smaller club that punches above its weight?

Prince Imperial
31-10-2012, 12:42 PM
So from a football perspective we have the fifth hardest draw in the competition (in terms of our opponent's 2012 performances). The only positive from this is that it will give us better draft picks. Only one game at all at the MCG which continues a long term trend of us hardly ever playing there. Obviously we won't be playing finals next year but the more experience our team gets playing there the better it will be when we returns to the finals.

Commercially it's a disaster. No Friday games, two Sunday twilight home games (where crowds are notoriously low) and only seven matches on Channel 7. We play 6 of the 8 interstate teams in home games and 5 out of 9 Vic teams. And some people wonder why there's disequal funding from the AFL?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150516/default.aspx

Mantis
31-10-2012, 12:44 PM
7 games interstate will be fun.

We will cover more ground than the Leyland Brothers.... Great for our FF points.

F'scary
31-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Our draw is what you get when everyone expects you to finish near or on the bottom of the ladder and to cop a pounding every match that is worthy of Debbie Does Dallas.

Our draw directly reflects the weekly blow out results of the 2nd half of the 2012 season.

They are trying to hide us.

WE MUST PROVE THEM WRONG:

BY NEVER GIVING IN
BY MATCHING IT WITH ALL COMERS
BY SMASHING A FAIR PROPORTION OF OUR OPPONENTS
BY PLAYING A STYLE THAT LOOKS MORE ATTRACTIVE THAN JUST "CRACKING IN"
BY DEVELOPING A SHOW CASE OF STARS.

Then we will get a better draw.

Ghost Dog
31-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Our draw is what you get when everyone expects you to finish near or on the bottom of the ladder and to cop a pounding every match that is worthy of Debbie Does Dallas.

Our draw directly reflects the weekly blow out results of the 2nd half of the 2012 season.

BY NEVER GIVING IN

Love this. Bring it on attitude yeah.
The other side is at least our kids will know what it takes to be a top team. The only way to find out is by playing them. Good development opportunity.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-10-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fair-effort-but-some-still-more-equal-than-others-20121031-28iml.html

The Age has us as having one of the harder draws in the comp despite finishing down the botton last year

bulldogsthru&thru
31-10-2012, 12:52 PM

I don't know much about English football, but is their a premier league equivelent? A smaller club that punches above its weight?

the Premier League landscape is very different to the AFL. Its a very rare occurence, especially in the modern era, for a non-wealthy team to win it all.

I was not expecting loads of prime time games but for Carlton to get 5 and us 0 friday night games is completely skewed. I'm happy to play tough teams but from a commercial perspective it does no favours.

Eastdog
31-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Disappointed we don't get more games at the MCG. If we were in finals contention next year say then we would hardly get any experience playing on that ground. It's a shame because the MCG is a magnificent stadium. No Friday night games is disappointing as well as that is when most people staying home are watching the footy.

bornadog
31-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Disappointed we don't get more games at the MCG. If we were in finals contention next year say then we would hardly get any experience playing on that ground. It's a shame because the MCG is a magnificent stadium. No Friday night games is disappointing as well as that is when most people staying home are watching the footy.

Not something we have to worry about.

BulldogBelle
31-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I actually don't mind this! Although, it's frustrating having a complete lack of Friday night games.

I would rather play the tougher teams and get our players used to the standard of the best teams in the competition, rather than playing the few lesser consistently and winning due to circumstance. I think that is the best (but of course, harder) way for our young guns to improve, if we can mitigate the 80pt floggings and hold on to some of our more fickle members!

Lets be honest, we are still very heavily in a development phase and were probably not going to climb the ladder significantly (two or three spots at a guess)

It's tough, fairly brutal, certainly not ideal but I think we will see a more "complete" development in our team as a result - particularly when we are on the other end of the pendulum.

Ghost Dog
31-10-2012, 01:29 PM
I worry sometimes that once the older generation of Bulldogs supporters goes, there will not be enough of the younger generation with the fortitude to follow a small club.

Ghost Dog
31-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Good point St 07, I agree.
The other thing is, if we play Port and GWS too much, nobody will turn up at all.
Which is worse, a stadium full of opposition supporters or an empty stadium?

Eastdog
31-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Good point St 07, I agree.
The other thing is, if we play Port and GWS too much, nobody will turn up at all.
Which is worse, a stadium full of opposition supporters or an empty stadium?

An empty stadium obviously. Playing the tougher teams is a very good experience for us especially for where our team is at right now. Pain right now hopefully will change into success in a few years time.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-10-2012, 01:37 PM
I actually don't mind this! Although, it's frustrating having a complete lack of Friday night games.

I would rather play the tougher teams and get our players used to the standard of the best teams in the competition, rather than playing the few lesser consistently and winning due to circumstance. I think that is the best (but of course, harder) way for our young guns to improve, if we can mitigate the 80pt floggings and hold on to some of our more fickle members!

Lets be honest, we are still very heavily in a development phase and were probably not going to climb the ladder significantly (two or three spots at a guess)

It's tough, fairly brutal, certainly not ideal but I think we will see a more "complete" development in our team as a result - particularly when we are on the other end of the pendulum.

we wont climb it at all. i think we will finish where we did this season. not through no improvement, i think we will improve greatly, but i think melbourne will be ahead of us and port will drop below.

Sockeye Salmon
31-10-2012, 01:38 PM
the Premier League landscape is very different to the AFL. Its a very rare occurence, especially in the modern era, for a non-wealthy team to win it all.

Rare? It's rare alright, it's happened once in the premier league era - Blackburn won in the mid-90's.

Every other title has been won by MU, Arsenal, Chelsea (once they got themselves a billionaire) or last season Man City (who also have themselves a billionaire).

craigsahibee
31-10-2012, 01:51 PM
1 - Saturday, March 30 - Brisbane Lions - Etihad Stadium - Home - 1.40pm
2 - Saturday, April 6 - Fremantle - Etihad Stadium - Home - 2.10pm
3 - Sunday, April 14 - Richmond - Etihad Stadium - Away - 1.10pm
4 - Sunday, April 21 - Adelaide Crows - AAMI Stadium - Away - 2.45pm
5 - Saturday, April 27 - Geelong Cats - Etihad Stadium - Home - 7.40pm
6 - Sunday, May 5 - West Coast Eagles - Patersons Stadium - Away - 2.40pm
7 - Saturday, May 11 - North Melbourne - Etihad Stadium - Home - 4.40pm
8 - Saturday, May 18 - Gold Coast SUNS - Metricon Stadium - Away - 4.40pm
9 - Saturday, May 25 - St Kilda - Etihad Stadium - Away - 4.40pm
10 - Saturday, June 1 - Port Adelaide - TIO Stadium - Home - 7.10pm
11 - Bye
12 - Sunday, June 16 - Collingwood - Etihad Stadium - Away - 4.40pm
13 - Saturday, June 22 - Richmond - Etihad Stadium - Home - 7.40pm
14 - Saturday, June 29 - Melbourne - MCG - Away - 7.40pm
15 - Saturday, July 6 - GWS GIANTS - Manuka Oval - Away - 1.45pm
16 - Sunday, July 14 - Essendon - Etihad Stadium - Home - 3.15pm
17 - Saturday, July 20 - Hawthorn - Aurora Stadium - Away - 1.45pm
18 - Sunday, July 28 - West Coast Eagles - Etihad Stadium - Home - 3.15pm
19 - Sunday, August 4 - Sydney Swans - Etihad Stadium - Home - 1.10pm
20 - Saturday, August 10 - Carlton - Etihad Stadium - Away - 4.40pm
21 - Sunday, August 18 - Adelaide Crows - Etihad Stadium - Home - 4.40pm
22 - Sunday, August 25 - Brisbane Lions - Gabba - Away - 4.40pm
23 - TBC - Melbourne - Etihad Stadium - Home - TBA

I wonder if any of the Collingwood members will make way for me to sit in my normal reserved seat in Round 12?

Ghost Dog
31-10-2012, 01:51 PM
So what happens to the smaller clubs and their membership. Do their numbers fall away because of disallusionment? How does the league sustain these supporters?

Eastdog
31-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Rare? It's rare alright, it's happened once in the premier league era - Blackburn won in the mid-90's.

Every other title has been won by MU, Arsenal, Chelsea (once they got themselves a billionaire) or last season Man City (who also have themselves a billionaire).

The salary cap helps in that very AFL team has a chance to win the premiership. We came close in 08, 09 and 10 and I'm sure we will come close once again if not win it with good recruiting.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-10-2012, 01:52 PM

hence why i said very rare and exactly what i dont what the AFL to become. A league of say 6 teams that dominate every year with the rest of us making up the numbers. Except it would be a lot worse for the AFL as at least weaker teams in english football have relegation, promotion, UEFA cup etc to fight for even though they know becoming champions of england is a long shot. AFL teams have nothing to fight for if not in the premiership race. We're nowhere near that yet as we have salary caps but it feels like its getting closer

Sedat
31-10-2012, 02:23 PM

BY NEVER GIVING IN

This. The whole victim mentality about our inequitable draw is a crock. We didn't deserve any favours in 2013 after our on-field performances this year - we lift our game on the field and we'll get better scheduling in the near future.

Bulldog Joe
31-10-2012, 02:30 PM
At least we get a bye after the Darwin game,

BUT

another 6 day turnaround after we play the Eagles.

THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN and never does to Collingwood.

G-Mo77
31-10-2012, 02:33 PM
I see a lot of Sunday 4.40 games. Hate them!

Looks like a tough draw and happy with that. Learn from the best rather than take a couple of meaningless wins over expansion teams. (Assuming we can still beat them)

LostDoggy
31-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Brutal travel schedule for the first half of the season.

bornadog
31-10-2012, 02:44 PM
I see a lot of Sunday 4.40 games. Hate them!

Yeah 7 with two of them interstate.

Remi Moses
31-10-2012, 02:53 PM
This. The whole victim mentality about our inequitable draw is a crock. We didn't deserve any favours in 2013 after our on-field performances this year - we lift our game on the field and we'll get better scheduling in the near future.

I agree Sedat to a point .But not having exposure on the Main viewing night hurts us.
Sponsors, crowds etc etc. hence why clubs should get a distribution fund
Poor Hawthorn though, having a big contract in Tassie and moaning about not enough MCG games!! Boo Hoo

bulldogsthru&thru
31-10-2012, 03:03 PM
I agree Sedat to a point .But not having exposure on the Main viewing night hurts us.
Sponsors, crowds etc etc. hence why clubs should get a distribution fund
Poor Hawthorn though, having a big contract in Tassie and moaning about not enough MCG games!! Boo Hoo

They don't understand the pain dogs supporters suffer! I mean they were crying about the prelim loss last year and how much it hurt them....please at least they won a GF in 08. We've lost the last what 8 prelims and haven't even been in a GF for 50 yrs! But the pain will make that elusive Premiership all the more sweeter :D

LostDoggy
31-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Tough draw and inequitable on a number of levels, we wont win more than 6.

But...
Great for the draft next year and I would rather have the tough draw this year than when we start challenging. Crows got a nice draw again...

Mantis
31-10-2012, 03:35 PM

When your own fans don't want to watch your games (which happened to us in the 2nd half of this year) how can we expect others to do so?

If we play a more watchable style and stop getting belted every other week we will start to see a more favourable draw.

LostDoggy
31-10-2012, 03:42 PM
hubby is a Poos & Wees supporter.

Gold.
I'm using that one.

Sockeye Salmon
31-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Fantastic draw.

Someone get Tom Boyd a Bulldogs jumper now.

azabob
31-10-2012, 03:53 PM

And you know what Sedat, BMAC will be preaching the exact same message. Just like he has been with our whole prelim situation. He has stated many times we need to get over ourselves and our prelim record.

Strangely enough front office may not like our draw, but our coach will be looking forward to the challenge ahead, hopefully he doesn't fall on his sword doing so.

Eastdog
31-10-2012, 04:00 PM
When your own fans don't want to watch your games (which happened to us in the 2nd half of this year) how can we expect others to do so?

If we play a more watchable style and stop getting belted every other week we will start to see a more favourable draw.

Is that a reason Mantis in giving us a unfavourable draw. Has this happened to other teams when they haven't done well.

Mantis
31-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Is that a reason Mantis in giving us a unfavourable draw. Has this happened to other teams when they haven't done well.

No idea... but lets get our own house in order before we start complaining.

Eastdog
31-10-2012, 04:05 PM
No idea... but lets get our own house in order before we start complaining.

The draw is out now and we have to face it. Are you disappointed Mantis that we didn't get more games at the MCG despite it not being where we play our home games.

Ghost Dog
31-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Put your hand up if a mate or relative has the Dogs as their 'second' team? Lots I know of.
All I'm saying is, if we played well, a good exciting brand of footy, plenty of people would watch and be happy for us to have a bit of success.
Why? Most folk have a sense of fairness. It's about 'our turn'.

Proof of being a 'liked club'? LOTS of people who donated cash to keep us afloat were not Bulldogs fans.

Mantis
31-10-2012, 04:35 PM
The draw is out now and we have to face it. Are you disappointed Mantis that we didn't get more games at the MCG despite it not being where we play our home games.

Yes Eastdog I'm disappointed we aren't playing more games at the 'G, but the fact is we don't draw crowds and in our last game there we got belted to the tune of 70pts by of all teams.. Richmond.

When we start playing ok we will have right to complain about an unfavouable draw, until then we suck eggs and start performing.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Agree that we have no bargaining power, other than the age old "well how can we compete off field" line.

Fact is, for smaller clubs like ours, we need to perform ON the field to get rewards off it.

ReLoad
31-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Well what a totally crap draw, it stinks, but you know what stinks more? The clubs official line of oh well, we need to be better anyway, we cant use it as an excude etc.

Well guess what, it is a key differential, plain and simple. There is no way the collywankers would accept playing 6 interstate games plus selling the 7th.

This is truly crap, and an even crapper resonse from the club.

Until the draw is equalised there is no way teams like ours can grow, it is accepting mediocrity.
How on earth are we supposed to get kids to follow us if we are never on a friday night?

Are we sure Ross Oakley is not back in charge?

Ghost Dog
31-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Well what a totally crap draw, it stinks, but you know what stinks more? The clubs official line of oh well, we need to be better anyway, we cant use it as an excude etc.

Well guess what, it is a key differential, plain and simple. There is no way the collywankers would accept playing 6 interstate games plus selling the 7th.

Until the draw is equalised there is no way teams like ours can grow, it is accepting mediocrity.
How on earth are we supposed to get kids to follow us if we are never on a friday night?

But what if we end up at the bottom and get a load of good draft picks as a result?

BulldogBelle
31-10-2012, 07:05 PM
But what if we end up at the bottom and get a load of good draft picks as a result?

And then get the big old Bulldog friendly draw with many of the bottom 8 teams to help catapult us into finals! (even though we get no friday games)

...hopefully, GWS/GC aren't too good by then though. :(

Go_Dogs
31-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Not a great draw for us at all, but perhaps a slight improvement on what we had last year.

It could work in our favour though, in that if we struggle again this year (which presumably we will) then we should get a better draw in 2014 which, combined with our hopeful improvement by then, may actually give us a chance of playing finals that year (yes, I'm searching very hard for some kind of positive).

The Bulldogs Bite
31-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Not a great draw for us at all, but perhaps a slight improvement on what we had last year.

It could work in our favour though, in that if we struggle again this year (which presumably we will) then we should get a better draw in 2014 which, combined with our hopeful improvement by then, may actually give us a chance of playing finals that year (yes, I'm searching very hard for some kind of positive).

The reality is we still need more high end talent on our list, and typically the best way to find it is through the draft with early picks.

It's likely we will get that again next year, but it does turn quickly, so as you said 2014 could see rapid improvement.

The Adelaide Connection
31-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Despite being a shambles most of last year we really got up for our two Friday night games and won a lot of admirers. A little boy at my school hadn't ever seen the Bulldogs on tv and saw the Geelong game (knowing that I am a fan) and came out of it pretty much a supporter.

Our draw is bad for business. Collingwood = 7 Friday Nights, Bulldogs = 0. This is what is wrong with our game (well, one of the things anyway). This is why there will always be a divide. To pre-empt the "form and ladder position" rebuttal, we still had crappy tv exposure in 2008-2010.

The system is balls.

wimberga
31-10-2012, 09:29 PM
I can understand the AFL's view on the fixture and also understand the broadcasters view.

As long as we get more coverage when we are doing better, I have no problems with the way they have fixtured us next year. If we get dudded when performing well, then there is more cause for complaints IMO

mighty_west
31-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Quite comical reading all the doomsayers on social media carrying on about the fixture like the worlds about to end, so we only play GC, GWS and Melb once, big woop, we only play Pies, Hawks, Swannies and Geelong once.

Tigers and Pies have to play their home games against us at our home ground, we don't have to play at Kardinia or SCG, the first three games of the season at Etihad and the final 5 of 6 also at Eithad.

We also play twice in QLD which I'm over the moon about :)

AndrewP6
31-10-2012, 10:03 PM

Did you see the story in the Hun recently? AD made no bones about the fact it is a compromised fixture. Ain't gonna change, not while there's money in it!

AndrewP6
31-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Sunday twilight games SUCK. They suck more than this.... Maybe.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5e/BH_LMC.png/300px-BH_LMC.png

Eastdog
31-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Sunday Twlight the public don't care too much about the match unless its their teams playing or if its a match with two teams in form. It wouldn't surprise me at all down the track if the AFL have a twilight or night GF. This year's prelim between Hawthorn and Adelaide even though it was a great match was on at a bad time.

mighty_west
31-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Sunday Twlight the public don't care too much about the match unless its their teams playing or if its a match with two teams in form. It wouldn't surprise me at all down the track if the AFL have a twilight or night GF. This year's prelim between Hawthorn and Adelaide even though it was a great match was on at a bad time.

Vlad mentioned something about looking at a twilight GF rather than a night game, said something about having the best of both worlds starting off in daylight but being dark enough during the half time break for the entertainment.

Eastdog
31-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Vlad mentioned something about looking at a twilight GF rather than a night game, said something about having the best of both worlds starting off in daylight but being dark enough during the half time break for the entertainment.

It would be a big change from what we are used to for the GF. The first time in its history that it would be under lights. Personally I still like a day GF.

Sockeye Salmon
01-11-2012, 12:06 AM
It's not the draw so much, I heard we have only 7 FTA games all season

Eastdog
01-11-2012, 12:15 AM

Thats another disappointment - not enough exposure on free to air to a wider audience to broaden our appeal compared to Foxtel which I have but not everyone has. The only way that the draw can be fair is if every team played each other twice but I'm not sure if that would be possible.

FrediKanoute
01-11-2012, 09:24 AM

Everton.......

azabob
01-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Thats another disappointment - not enough exposure on free to air to a wider audience to broaden our appeal compared to Foxtel which I have but not everyone has. The only way that the draw can be fair is if every team played each other twice but I'm not sure if that would be possible.

The season is long enough as it is, extending it would be terrible. Would you want to watch us play an extra 8 odd games in 2012?

AFL should reduce the season and every team plays each other once.

Sedat
01-11-2012, 10:35 AM
We had a lot of games on Channel 7 this season (especially Sunday afternoons) that were non-competitive blow-outs. I'm not surprised in the slightest that they want us on the network as little as possible next season.

Ghost Dog
01-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Everton.......

My new football club! Never followed Premier League but decided to take more interest.
Interestingly read in 1995 Everton the Everton team was nicknamed 'The Dogs of War' so they'll do me!

Eastdog
01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
The season is long enough as it is, extending it would be terrible. Would you want to watch us play an extra 8 odd games in 2012?

Well the fixture is done now but in the future what do you think the AFL needs to do to make the fixture as fair as possible for all 18 clubs because clearly it's not.

azabob
01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Well the fixture is done now but in the future what do you think the AFL needs to do to make the fixture as fair as possible for all 18 clubs because clearly it's not.

They need to reduce the season to 17 rounds so each team plays each other once.

Daughter of the West
01-11-2012, 12:59 PM

They're clearly not interested in making it fair. It's all about maximising revenues and increasing future revenue streams. :mad:

SlimPickens
01-11-2012, 01:08 PM

Agree, the only way to make it fair is reducing it to a 17 game season where you play everyone once and over a two year period playing a team at home and away.

This will obviously impact TV rights, stadium deals, sponsorships, membership etc so cannot be done lightly.

Can't see the AFL doing anything this extreme which will impact their bottom line.

chef
01-11-2012, 01:49 PM
They need to reduce the season to 17 rounds so each team plays each other once.

With the amount of $$$ the league and the players would lose there is no way thats going to happen.

azabob
01-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Agree, the only way to make it fair is reducing it to a 17 game season where you play everyone once and over a two year period playing a team at home and away.

This will obviously impact TV rights, stadium deals, sponsorships, membership etc so cannot be done lightly.

Can't see the AFL doing anything this extreme which will impact their bottom line.

With the amount of $$$ the league and the players would lose there is no way thats going to happen.

Slim I agree with your two year idea.

RE the revenue, if a better product and spectical is created, is there a slim chance of getting the same dollars eventually?

Hotdog60
01-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I think a mini comp at the start might work and revamp the NAB cup. Allow clubs more leeway to experiment with the side, be allowed to play potential recruits without a formal listing like a temp trial.

So 17 Home and away game plus a 5 week mini comp. Clubs can use their players as they want and give kids more of a look including rookies and local state players.

TV gets the same coverage - remove the old NAB cup and less games for players if their club wishes.

bornadog
01-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Currently there are 198 H&A games that have been paid for through the TV rights.

Channel 7 and Foxtel will not be giving up any of the 198 games unless they get some money back.

If we wanted a fair competition then every one plays each other once, then the remaining games are worked out over a 4 year or so period so everyone plays each other twice spread over the years.

The game is a farce when we have to manufacture games in order to please the TV viewing and attendance figures.

chef
01-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Slim I agree with your two year idea.

RE the revenue, if a better product and spectical is created, is there a slim chance of getting the same dollars eventually?

No I don't think so as there isn't the same air time on the stations each weekend.

chef
01-11-2012, 03:55 PM
The game is a farce when we have to manufacture games in order to please the TV viewing and attendance figures.

Yep, it's an entertainment industry now aimed at getting the most $$$.

Eastdog
01-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Ive mentioned this before but I reckon we should have some kind of deal in that we play a certain number of games at the MCG. Playing 1 game there all season next year for a Victorian based team is just no good.

chef
01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Ive mentioned this before but I reckon we should have some kind of deal in that we play a certain number of games at the MCG. Playing 1 game there all season next year for a Victorian based team is just no good.

We really don't have a choice.

Eastdog
01-11-2012, 04:26 PM
We really don't have a choice.

Why did we get such a bad deal with Etihad? We should have negotiated a lot better than we did at the time and also agree to a certain number of games for us to play at the MCG.

bornadog
01-11-2012, 04:48 PM

We had the lowest attendance at our games this year since 1996 and barely got to 25,000 at Eithad let alone the vast MCG.

Once we start winning games, I am sure the club will push for the MCG. Lets get back to making Eithad our fortress first. We have 14 games there, imagine if we could go undefeated at Eithad, that would mean finals. But we are a few years off at this stage.

LostDoggy
01-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Once we start winning games

A bit off topic, but I love this, BAD.

Sockeye Salmon
01-11-2012, 06:13 PM

It would be simple to make it fair and keep a 22 round system. They keys to it would be to drop the special deals done by the larger clubs and make it a genuine draw rather than a schedule.

It would be easy to have three groups based on the previous years ladder position and you play the other 5 teams in your group twice.

1st, 6th, 7th, 12th, 13th, 18th
2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th
3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th, 15th, 16th

Just ditch the golden triangle of Carl, Coll & Ess and all the other special deals and make it random.

Sockeye Salmon
01-11-2012, 06:18 PM

If the AFL were serious all games between two Victorian sides would be played at the MCG and all games involving a non-Victorian side would be played at Etihad.

Obviously contracts in place would prevent this, but this is what it should have been.

Eastdog
01-11-2012, 06:21 PM
If the AFL were serious all games between two Victorian sides would be played at the MCG and all games involving a non-Victorian side would be played at Etihad.

Obviously contracts in place would prevent this, but this is what it should have been.

I would of liked that plan but unfortunately nothing will happen now.

SlimPickens
01-11-2012, 08:07 PM
It would be simple to make it fair and keep a 22 round system. They keys to it would be to drop the special deals done by the larger clubs and make it a genuine draw rather than a schedule.

It would be easy to have three groups based on the previous years ladder position and you play the other 5 teams in your group twice.

1st, 6th, 7th, 12th, 13th, 18th
2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th
3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th, 15th, 16th

Just ditch the golden triangle of Carl, Coll & Ess and all the other special deals and make it random.

Agree that a conference system could work and still allow for various blockbusters. Unfortunately the importance of maximizing revenue will never see this happen under the current regime.

LostDoggy
14-01-2013, 01:15 PM
I've just filled in my diary with the Bulldogs & Storm (up to round 20) home games for 2013 and whilst we both have a terrible fixture/draw none of the games clash so far so that's handy. :)