PDA

View Full Version : Izzy gone?

Grantysghost
01-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Reports abound that Israel Folau is heading back to NRL. Massive waste of cash if so. Should have spent it at the kennel instead!

Link (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/nrl-convert-israel-folau-set-to-retire-from-greater-western-sydney/story-fnelctok-1226508316174)

chef
01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
AFL got more than their moneys worth in publicity, eg front(and back) page of every newspaper in Australia. They didn't waste a cent and he served his purpose in giving GWS exposure.

I don't expect many people thought he was going to stick around long and become an AFL player.

Grantysghost
01-11-2012, 03:52 PM
AFL got more than their moneys worth in publicity, eg front(and back) page of every newspaper in Australia. They didn't waste a cent and he served his purpose in giving GWS exposure.

I don't expect many people thought he was going to stick around long and become an AFL player.

Agree in part, I think they would have expected more than 13 games and 2 goals though for that investment. A guy who looks like and goose on the field and then gives up after a season can't be a good image for the AFL. Initially sparked interested though granted and if that was the aim then you could argue they were successful.

chef
01-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Agree in part, I think they would have expected more than 13 games and 2 goals though for that investment. A guy who looks like and goose on the field and then gives up after a season can't be a good image for the AFL. Initially sparked interested though granted and if that was the aim then you could argue they were successful.

To me he wasn't signed to play football.

KT31
01-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Gee who didn't see that coming ?:rolleyes:
Money would have been much better spent on the development of junior AFL, something that is sadly lacking in this neck of the woods.

Grantysghost
01-11-2012, 04:04 PM
To me he wasn't signed to play football.

They probably thought he's a 25% chance to become a player, so you're probably correct there. I guess Karmichael was more like 75%.

Remi Moses
01-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Five Words
What a waste of money!
Do we really believe this was anything but a gimmick.
They're rusted on NRL up there and Falou or not was never going to sway them.
Interesting article recently saying the Aussie rules participation numbers are Rubbery and haven't increased.
AFL's Version of the Vietnam war up there.

Sedat
01-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Extra props to Karmichael Hunt - sensational effort to be able to compete at the highest level in 3 different codes.

always right
01-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Extra props to Karmichael Hunt - sensational effort to be able to compete at the highest level in 3 different codes.

Those who are bagging the Folau experiment are probably the same ones who bagged Hunt after his first year. I would love to have Hunt in our side.

We'll never know whether Folau could have made it or not but I'm not one to say he was destined never to make it based on just one season.

KT31
01-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Those who are bagging the Folau experiment are probably the same ones who bagged Hunt after his first year. I would love to have Hunt in our side.

We'll never know whether Folau could have made it or not but I'm not one to say he was destined never to make it based on just one season.

He could have become the next Ablett for all I care, it is still a waste of money and could have been used in more appropriate areas.

GVGjr
01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
What chance are GWS to be clearing salary cap space for Tippet?

Remi Moses
01-11-2012, 07:35 PM

Hunt had played a bit as a junior, and Israel hadn't.
Clearly he wasn't going to make it and I reckon Secretly GWS would be happy.
The NRL cap has increased and funny enough off goes Israel.

azabob
01-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Fairly good chance by the looks of it.

always right
01-11-2012, 07:43 PM
He could have become the next Ablett for all I care, it is still a waste of money and could have been used in more appropriate areas.

I'm simply questioning the assertion that he was never going to make it. I for one never thought I'd see Mike Pyke play in a premiership side and he never played Aussie Rules as a youngster either. As for how much Folau was paid...that's a different matter.

chef
01-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Hunt had played a bit as a junior, and Israel hadn't.
Clearly he wasn't going to make it and I reckon Secretly GWS would be happy.
The NRL cap has increased and funny enough off goes Israel.

7 games in year 12.

westdog54
01-11-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm simply questioning the assertion that he was never going to make it. I for one never thought I'd see Mike Pyke play in a premiership side and he never played Aussie Rules as a youngster either. As for how much Folau was paid...that's a different matter.

Mike Pyke played as a lock forward in rugby so he would have needed to be strong and have good hands overhead to contest lineouts, plus his fitness base would have needed to be reasonably high as forwards don't always have the luxury of being subbed in the second half, so he had a bit of a head start in terms of skill set when compared to Israel.

always right
01-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Mike Pyke played as a lock forward in rugby so he would have needed to be strong and have good hands overhead to contest lineouts, plus his fitness base would have needed to be reasonably high as forwards don't always have the luxury of being subbed in the second half, so he had a bit of a head start in terms of skill set when compared to Israel.

Did you watch Folau play Rugby League? He was known for his overhead skills when the ball was kicked high to him. Many commentators claimed he had skills that might help him move over to AFL.

As for Pyke...I would have thought his biggest challenge was what many newcomers to Aussie Rules discover....reading the play is difficult.

westdog54
01-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Did you watch Folau play Rugby League? He was known for his overhead skills when the ball was kicked high to him. Many commentators claimed he had skills that might help him move over to AFL.

As for Pyke...I would have thought his biggest challenge was what many newcomers to Aussie Rules discover....reading the play is difficult.

The difference is that Folau was so vastly superior in that field that semi-reasonable skills overhead got him through. Pyke was competing in the air against blokes that were probably better than him.

LostDoggy
02-11-2012, 03:20 AM
Five Words
What a waste of money!
Do we really believe this was anything but a gimmick.
They're rusted on NRL up there and Falou or not was never going to sway them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Izzy was paid with AFL start up money issued to the new club for their marketing and Advertising? I always thought it was clever since they got far more exposure putting it into poaching a high profile NRL player rather than spending it on billboards, news papers an tv commercials.
Also not sure, but being a first year player i thought he doesn't come under salary cap restrictions? Hence this wouldn't be a "cap clearing" exercise?

GVGjr
02-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Izzy was paid with AFL start up money issued to the new club for their marketing and Advertising? I always thought it was clever since they got far more exposure putting it into poaching a high profile NRL player rather than spending it on billboards, news papers an tv commercials.
Also not sure, but being a first year player i thought he doesn't come under salary cap restrictions? Hence this wouldn't be a "cap clearing" exercise?

Some of his money was via the AFL but I still think a decent amount was under the salary cap of GWS.

Bulldog Revolution
02-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Some of his money was via the AFL but I still think a decent amount was under the salary cap of GWS.

The GWS CEO said that only Folaus senior games played counted against the cap, so it may not give them much cap relief but its still operating money that they can better use to get on field improvement.

Regardless I think Tippett will end up at GWS and they really are building a powerhouse