PDA

View Full Version : Port wins London Exhibition game

Cyberdoggie
04-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Herald Sun
November 04, 2012 6:08AM

NEW Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has started his coaching career with a thrilling one-point victory over the Western Bulldogs in the AFL's exhibition match at The Oval. A brilliant goal by Power midfielder Brad Ebert from a set shot 50m out near the boundary line with less than a minute to play sealed the victory, 14.4 (88) to 13.9 (87).

At one stage early in the third term, Port trailed by 39 points before unleashing a nine-goal unanswered burst to take the lead midway through the final quarter.

more (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-wins-afl-exhibition-game-against-western-bulldogs-in-london/story-e6frexwr-1226509926163)

bornadog
04-11-2012, 11:46 AM
The only disappointing thing of the loss is this:

The victory by Port means they have won the right to be involved in next year's London game with the AFL committed to building its profile in Europe

Sedat
04-11-2012, 11:46 AM
At one stage early in the third term, Port trailed by 39 points before unleashing a nine-goal unanswered burst to take the lead midway through the final quarter.

more (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-wins-afl-exhibition-game-against-western-bulldogs-in-london/story-e6frexwr-1226509926163)
Wow, our 2nd halves haven't improved. Hopefully endurance is not completely neglected for strength during our preseason.

westdog54
04-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Wow, our 2nd halves haven't improved. Hopefully endurance is not completely neglected for strength during our preseason.

To be fair the preseason has barely even started, so the new conditioning staff will only just have started to implement their programs.

Ghost Dog
04-11-2012, 12:36 PM
"I said to the players before the game that you always want to win and it doesn't matter if it's an exhibition game or anything for us," Hinkley said.

I like this attitude. It doesn't sound like we were the best team on the day.

Sedat
04-11-2012, 01:13 PM
To be fair the preseason has barely even started, so the new conditioning staff will only just have started to implement their programs.
Yes, but we've replaced triathlete fitness trainers with Rugby fitness trainers. BMac has emphasised strength over everything else to date and the new appointments only reinforce that philosophy further. Our ability to run games out was atrocious last season, and I sincerely hope it is a major priority to fix this moving forward.

I also find it strange that we feel the need to justify our fade out in the media, with a lame excuse about a shorter preparation time.

LostDoggy
04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Yes, but we've replaced triathlete fitness trainers with Rugby fitness trainers. BMac has emphasised strength over everything else to date and the new appointments only reinforce that philosophy further. Our ability to run games out was atrocious last season, and I sincerely hope it is a major priority to fix this moving forward.

I also find it strange that we feel the need to justify our fade out in the media, with a lame excuse about a shorter preparation time.

You'd like to think that if we can see the need to improve fitness, the experts down at the club should be able to also see it

Eastdog
04-11-2012, 01:31 PM
You'd like to think that if we can see the need to improve fitness, the experts down at the club should be able to also see it

Hopefully this time we get it right and we wont see 2nd fade outs after some good 1st halves last season.

Happy Days
04-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Yes, but we've replaced triathlete fitness trainers with Rugby fitness trainers.

Because we had so much endurance into the second halves with Davoren in charge?

Sedat
04-11-2012, 01:43 PM
If using 2012 in isolation, the answer would be 'no'. But under Davoren previous to this season, we had no trouble running games out. On the contrary, we were slow out of the blocks most weeks and would motor home late in games.

AndrewP6
04-11-2012, 01:44 PM

That's right, one thing I was most disappointed about was our fade outs, especially given Davoren's background.

Remi Moses
04-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Fade outs even in the off season.

Mantis
04-11-2012, 03:15 PM

Perhaps Davoren wasn't allowed to put in place the program he wanted which might be the reason he chose to leave?

Cyberdoggie
04-11-2012, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't weigh anything into the result of this match,
39 points up in an exhibition match where both coaches said numerous times that it was about the spectacle first and foremost.

Surprisingly enough it ended up a 1 point result with a kick from 50 to decide the game at the end. What a co-incidence. ;)

Ghost Dog
04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Disagree Cyber. We have to win. Small clubs can't afford to languish in development mode for years. Jag a win every time you can. Accept that we lost but it was just a point. that's the pleasing thing.

The Underdog
04-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Disagree Cyber. We have to win. Small clubs can't afford to languish in development mode for years. Jag a win every time you can. Accept that we lost but it was just a point. that's the pleasing thing.

It was a game in November in London. Winning couldn't mean less at all. The result probably won't be known by 50% of football followers let alone have the chance to be forgotten.

jazzadogs
04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Amazed that this game is being taken seriously in any way.

Not only was it a scratch match which meant nothing, with 16 players a side and reduced quarter lengths, but the only players Port had missing were Boak, K Cornes, Schulz, Westhoff and Cassisi.

We had Murphy, Cross, Boyd, Williams, Gia, Griffen, Cooney, Morris and Minson out.

Could not care less about the result. Hopefully the club learned something from their encounters with EPL and Rugby clubs, the players have been provided with the team bonding that seemed to be the point of the exercise, and they'll all be ready to start the pre-season when they get home.

Eastdog
04-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Amazed that this game is being taken seriously in any way.

Not only was it a scratch match which meant nothing, with 16 players a side and reduced quarter lengths, but the only players Port had missing were Boak, K Cornes, Schulz, Westhoff and Cassisi.

We had Murphy, Cross, Boyd, Williams, Gia, Griffen, Cooney, Morris and Minson out.

Could not care less about the result. Hopefully the club learned something from their encounters with EPL and Rugby clubs, the players have been provided with the team bonding that seemed to be the point of the exercise, and they'll all be ready to start the pre-season when they get home.

Agree jazzadogs. Sure we lost by a point and let Port back but the way I look at it is that it's just apart of our early pre season and I'm sure the players also wanted to make sure they didn't get any injuries.

Throughandthrough
04-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Tanking?

Happy Days
04-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Perhaps Davoren wasn't allowed to put in place the program he wanted which might be the reason he chose to leave?

I agree, but if McCartney is going to build to strength rather than endurance, isn't it at least better we get someone suitable to do so?

LostDoggy
04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Why are people reading into the result of an exhibition match?

At 39 points up we were probably instructed to let them back in a bit. The season doesn't start for another 5 months and we are rebuilding.

We lost by a point on the siren in London heading into the Australian cricket season with half a team. Not sure if that's a value indicator of second half fade outs.

ledge
04-11-2012, 07:07 PM

At 39 points up we were probably instructed to let them back in a bit. The season doesn't start for another 5 months and we are rebuilding.

We lost by a point on the siren in London heading into the Australian cricket season with half a team. Not sure if that's a value indicator of second half fade outs.

What it meant was some of the new kids got a game and macca got another look
At young players

GVGjr
04-11-2012, 07:18 PM
It was an exhibition game with hybrid rules, smaller numbers of players on the field and shorter quarters. Coming away with no injuries, no fights and hopefully no one making a prick of themselves over there is probably a win in itself.

It's probably the least important game we have played in years and I'm not concerned in the slightest with a one point loss.

Pickenitup
04-11-2012, 07:30 PM
No care what soever in the result the boys only got back this week were there
On Wednesday compared to Port being over there for a week Could Not Care less!

ledge
04-11-2012, 07:41 PM

Look at the positive side, closest we have been to a win in 4 months, we are improving

FrediKanoute
04-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I went to the game. It was bloody cold.

Whilst not really concerned by the result, the concern was that when they got on a roll and kicked 5 or 6 in a row we couldn't stop them. Give the team the benefit of the doubt that its an exhibition match and early in the preseason, but the same could be said of Port, yet they found something to claw their way back into the game.

Comments on specific players:

The Good -
Higgins was a class above and showed it. Hope he stays fit because he looks set for a big year;
Stevens will slot right into the midfield. Kicked a gret goal too;
Roughhead, looks real comfortable at FB. Took the game on and will only get better. He is a gem.
Vezpremi kicked 3 goals on a day when our forward line struggled. He is a forward first, backman second.
Wood - did some nice things and gave good run off half back another who looks like he could benefit from an injury free year.
Picken was just great. Played as a HFF and snagged a few as well as taking a specky.

The Bad -
Jones - led well, marked well but has to be the worst set shot kick for goal in the AFL. He had 2 or 3 great chances in the 3rd quarter to stretch the lead beyond 40 points and missed gettable goals. In the real season those misses really hurt.
Howard - just don't see this guy being able to add the necessary strings to his bow to be effective enough. Simply he doesn't have a footy brain.
Skinner - looked well out of his depth. Couldn't hold a mark and was ineffective
Cordy - played ruck and in the forward line. Didn't reall excell in either.
Grant - pretty anonymous

Doc26
04-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Whilst not really concerned by the result, the concern was that when they got on a roll and kicked 5 or 6 in a row we couldn't stop them. Give the team the benefit of the doubt that its an exhibition match and early in the preseason, but the same could be said of Port, yet they found something to claw their way back into the game.

The Good -
Higgins was a class above and showed it. Hope he stays fit because he looks set for a big year;
Roughhead, looks real comfortable at FB. Took the game on and will only get better. He is a gem.
Vezpremi kicked 3 goals on a day when our forward line struggled. He is a forward first, backman second.
Wood - did some nice things and gave good run off half back another who looks like he could benefit from an injury free year.
Picken was just great. Played as a HFF and snagged a few as well as taking a specky.

The Bad -
Jones - led well, marked well but has to be the worst set shot kick for goal in the AFL. He had 2 or 3 great chances in the 3rd quarter to stretch the lead beyond 40 points and missed gettable goals. In the real season those misses really hurt.
Howard - just don't see this guy being able to add the necessary strings to his bow to be effective enough. Simply he doesn't have a footy brain.
Skinner - looked well out of his depth. Couldn't hold a mark and was ineffective
Grant - pretty anonymous
How many of our better players were in action,eg Boyd Griffen Murphy Dahlhaus Minson etc.

AndrewP6
04-11-2012, 08:17 PM
How many of our better players were in action,eg Boyd Griffen Murphy Dahlhaus Minson etc.

Dahl played, i think. Both sides well short of their best 22..

FrediKanoute
04-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Of those you listed Dahlhaus played. So did Picken, Wood, Higgins and Dickson. They would be walk up starts in our best 22. Outside of that, Vez, Smith, Wallis and Libba all played.

As much as Boyd, Murphy, Minno, Cross, Williams, Griff and Cooney would have added a different dimension to the team you were looking at the nucleus of the team in2 to 4 years time.

lemmon
04-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Higgins sounds like the highlight for mine, if he's fit and firing we add another genuinely good player to the mix...looking forward to the replay and seeing it first hand

Sedat
04-11-2012, 10:06 PM
It was an exhibition game with hybrid rules, smaller numbers of players on the field and shorter quarters. Coming away with no injuries, no fights and hopefully no one making a prick of themselves over there is probably a win in itself.

It's probably the least important game we have played in years and I'm not concerned in the slightest with a one point loss.
I agree 100% with regard to the physical game itself, but the psychological effect of another 2nd half fade out is concerning. Losing is habitual, as is winning.

GVGjr
04-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I agree 100% with regard to the physical game itself, but the psychological effect of another 2nd half fade out is concerning. Losing is habitual, as is winning.

I get what you are saying but I also suspect that if we had won the game and a few people were excited about the result then some on here would then start talking down the result for the same reasons I have highlighted.

I just think we are looking too deep into a result for a nothing game and speculation of supposed 2nd half fade outs when the quarters are just 14 minutes doesn't wash with me.

To me the highlights are the players getting some exposure to premier league teams and a chance for the newer guys to bond with the playing group and this far outweighs the result.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
I get what you are saying but I also suspect that if we had won the game and a few people were excited about the result then some on here would then start talking down the result for the same reasons I have highlighted.

I just think we are looking too deep into a result for a nothing game and speculation of supposed 2nd half fade outs when the quarters are just 14 minutes doesn't wash with me.

To me the highlights are the players getting some exposure to premier league teams and a chance for the newer guys to bond with the playing group and this far outweighs the result.

Quoted for truth.

Amazed at some of the negative responses.

G-Mo77
04-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Quoted for truth.

Amazed at some of the negative responses.

Surprised?

A mate of mine went (Not a Dogs supporter) and said Higgins and Picken were just outstanding for us. He hadn't seen Higgins look that good in years. I'm not that excited about it as it's only a practice match but it's great to hear that Higgins played so well.

Bulldogs will be putting a full replay of the match on the website apparently.

jeemak
04-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Good the team got to have a run pre-christmas, it will give them a bit of a taste.

I can't understand some of the negativity.

Ghost Dog
04-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Well, perhaps this is a sign of how low some supporters are in morale.
When supporters get the shits because of a one point loss in a measly scratch match,( with a bunch of rookies ) you know their vitality is pretty low.

westdog54
05-11-2012, 12:50 AM
The Good -

Loved reading all of that, especially about Roughie. Only a practice game but maybe Macca is on to something.

LostDoggy
05-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Looking at a picture in the Adelaide Advertiser this morning, looked like a fair crowd and there were no blocks of seats closed out with advertising.

Perhaps Port should look at making this there home ground and change their name to "Surrey Power"

Just a thought.

westdog54
05-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Looking at a picture in the Adelaide Advertiser this morning, looked like a fair crowd and there were no blocks of seats closed out with advertising.

Perhaps Port should look at making this there home ground and change their name to "Surrey Power"

Just a thought.

That's low.

Funny, but low.

Sedat
05-11-2012, 12:25 PM
I agree with this, and had we not conceded a consecutive chunk of goals to Port during the game I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. But the conceding of 9 goals in a row late in the game has been a trend we've seen from the team even when the whips were cracking in H&A games this year. Port weren't exactly at full strength either and they are one of the poorer performd clubs in the competition in recent seasons.

Hearing BMac talk about not coaching and just letting the players work it out for themselves in the 2nd half implies that the coaching staff take the plaudits for getting us 6 goals ahead and then squarely putting the blame on the players for the 2nd half fadeout - I didn't like that implication, nor did I like hearing any excuses trodden out for the loss of what was an exhibition match in the off-season (there is nothing to justify/explain IMO). I certainly hope to see BMac actually influence the course of games from the coaches box in 2013 - as a senior coach, he has as much to prove as many of the playing group.

The experience of travelling to London as on a training camp and witnessing other professional clubs at work will be invaluable - no arguments from me whatsoever for the benefits of the trip to our playing group.

Sedat
05-11-2012, 12:39 PM

The Good -

The Bad -
Grant - pretty anonymous
Appreciate the update Fredi.

Some good positives by the looks - Roughy down back might end up being a stroke of genius by BMac if his rate of improvement increases. Lateral thinking that should be applauded if it bears long term fruit. Nice to hear that Stevens has already started adding value to our midfield rotations.

The 'bad' list looks very familiar from the 2012 H&A season. A mountain of work ahead of these guys in the next 3 months.

LostDoggy
05-11-2012, 12:56 PM

The Bad -

I'm just stoked to hear he wasn't running under the flight. If he's actually taking grabs it would be a huge boost for his confidence this year. The yips can be taken care of if he's getting his hands on the ball.

mighty_west
05-11-2012, 03:06 PM

Some good positives by the looks - Roughy down back might end up being a stroke of genius by BMac if his rate of improvement increases. Lateral thinking that should be applauded if it bears long term fruit. Nice to hear that Stevens has already started adding value to our midfield rotations.

The 'bad' list looks very familiar from the 2012 H&A season. A mountain of work ahead of these guys in the next 3 months.

It worked for Lake being a forward in his junior days as well as other players including Micky Martin at North who was a forward before becoming a very good full back, Roughy certainly reads the play well enough and has strong hands, I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses in this position next season, I watched him closely at the Gabba playing on JBrown, and thought he did quite well.

kruder
05-11-2012, 04:32 PM

Hardly surprising list is it? Massive concerns for mine, I did think Grant would make it and still hoping he can as he has the skill set to become an effective AFL player but the others....
They scare me no end.

Great to hear about Stevens though. Lets hope he can have an impact like Dickson did last year.

bornadog
05-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Why is anyone reading anything at all into this game?

The guys have had 8 weeks off from the end of season and came back to training one week ago, then flew off a couple of days later to London. They have barely even had a run around the oval let alone even being remotely fit.

Sedat
05-11-2012, 05:19 PM
The guys have had 8 weeks off from the end of season and came back to training one week ago, then flew off a couple of days later to London. They have barely even had a run around the oval let alone even being remotely fit.
Umm, so have Port.

Look I don't give a toss about the result or the skill level - that will take care of itself over time. But from a psychological level, conceding 9 goals in a row in the 2nd half to a bottom 5 team is a cause for concern to me - our players (and it must be said our coaches) were completely unable to alter the course of momentum shifts against us throughout the last 3 months of the 2012 season, and we've done it again in our first hitout for the 2013 pre-season.

Throughandthrough
05-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Port finished above us on the ladder last year! So based on that we have improved.

immortalmike
05-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Oh! We lost a post-season, modified-rules exhibition game in another country after only 4 days preparation....yeah I don't really care.

People reading anything (positive or negative) into this remind me of those who were crying about losing to Essendon in the NAB in 08, you know the year we went on to have our best win/loss record ever. And at least that was after the freakin' pre-season...

bornadog
05-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Oh! We lost a post-season, modified-rules exhibition game in another country after only 4 days preparation....yeah I don't really care.

People reading anything (positive or negative) into this remind me of those who were crying about losing to Essendon in the NAB in 08, you know the year we went on to have our best win/loss record ever. And at least that was after the freakin' pre-season...

There is only one negative in losing.

We don't get to do it again next year and help promote our club.

G-Mo77
05-11-2012, 06:12 PM

Yeah that's the most disappointing thing about it. Still, having fans in the UK is not going to be much help to us here during the season. There was no coverage and hardly any media interest, most people who weren't supporters of the club probably didn't know it even took place.

Rocco Jones
05-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Not sure we have even 'lost' that.

Port and us are the two most irrelevant sides in the comp at the moment. The pair being offered the chance to play in London makes me believe no one else wanted to go.

Port has 'won' the right to have another crack. Don't think any of the sides who make the finals would be keen to go and any side with any coin wouldn't care too much about a free trip.

MrMahatma
05-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Umm, so have Port.

Look I don't give a toss about the result or the skill level - that will take care of itself over time. But from a psychological level, conceding 9 goals in a row in the 2nd half to a bottom 5 team is a cause for concern to me - our players (and it must be said our coaches) were completely unable to alter the course of momentum shifts against us throughout the last 3 months of the 2012 season, and we've done it again in our first hitout for the 2013 pre-season.
There's been no coaching or team training for a couple of months. Did you expect things to have changed simply because season 2012 is finished?

1eyedog
05-11-2012, 09:27 PM
If using 2012 in isolation, the answer would be 'no'. But under Davoren previous to this season, we had no trouble running games out. On the contrary, we were slow out of the blocks most weeks and would motor home late in games.

I cannot remember blowing anyone out of the water in the final term through 2008-2010. Slow first quarters sure but we did all our damage late second quarter early third and could never hit the scoreboard hard late in the game. This has been a trend of ours for a few years now.

1eyedog
05-11-2012, 09:30 PM
There's been no coaching or team training for a couple of months. Did you expect things to have changed simply because season 2012 is finished?

Port are pretty crap, I expected to at least beat them. Apols double post there.

Hopefully the boys are bonding (which is the real benefit of all this) and keeping each other out of too much trouble.

FrediKanoute
06-11-2012, 12:58 AM
having sen thegame live I don't think you can read too much into it. I think concerns that we still have bad 2nd halves are justified - 39 points up in a scratch match should have been enough - and the annonymity of uys who are expectd to push in 2013 is also a concern, for me they shuld have been bursting.

jeemak
06-11-2012, 05:46 AM
having sen thegame live I don't think you can read too much into it. I think concerns that we still have bad 2nd halves are justified - 39 points up in a scratch match should have been enough - and the annonymity of uys who are expectd to push in 2013 is also a concern, for me they shuld have been bursting.

FK, thanks for the report on the game, much appreciated.

So, after being 39 points up and having nine goals kicked against us, did we kick four unanswered goals in return to get a couple up?

Agree that it's disappointing to have that many kicked on us in a row, but surely the goals that went our way to get 39 points up in the first place have to count for something, and then to kick another four after having nine goals kicked against us would say that we didn't just fade out.

It seems a classic example of two teams with not much to prove getting the jump on one another, in spurts across the game. I know that after three or four training sessions things might be different from last year :o, but the reality is it's a post season crap fest that doesn't mean a thing. If anyone wants to tie it together with our second half fade outs throughout 2012 then so be it, and good luck to them. I'm pretty sure the coaching staff and players couldn't care less, and nor should they.

Ghost Dog
06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
FK, thanks for the report on the game, much appreciated.

So, after being 39 points up and having nine goals kicked against us, did we kick four unanswered goals in return to get a couple up?

Agree that it's disappointing to have that many kicked on us in a row, but surely the goals that went our way to get 39 points up in the first place have to count for something, and then to kick another four after having nine goals kicked against us would say that we didn't just fade out.

It seems a classic example of two teams with not much to prove getting the jump on one another, in spurts across the game. I know that after three or four training sessions things might be different from last year :o, but the reality is it's a post season crap fest that doesn't mean a thing. If anyone wants to tie it together with our second half fade outs throughout 2012 then so be it, and good luck to them. I'm pretty sure the coaching staff and players couldn't care less, and nor should they.

Not the loss itself, but the way it pans out / the blokes who don't perform that concerns. It means something to me. If FK was there and says players who should be bursting are under performing, means something to the fans who badly want some return on investment ( Howard, Jones, Grant ) and not see a repeat of last year. Ultimately however, in terms of the preseason, losing I hope, gives the blokes no grounds for being complacent and a bit of a rocket under them.

Topdog
07-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I cannot remember blowing anyone out of the water in the final term through 2008-2010. Slow first quarters sure but we did all our damage late second quarter early third and could never hit the scoreboard hard late in the game. This has been a trend of ours for a few years now.

When I read this I instantly thought it was wrong. So looking from finalsiren for 2008 in the first 4 rounds our last qtr efforts were 6.3 to beat Adelaide, 6.4 against Melb, 8.2 to beat the Saints and 6.6 to come from behind against the Bombers.

Couldnt be bothered checking more but than saw that Round 5 was the draw against Richmond. We scored 7.2 in the last in that one.

Think your memory has gone fuzzy :D

Cyberdoggie
08-11-2012, 02:46 PM
There is some full match videos on the AFL website, courtesy of Port Adelaide TV.
So it's a 1 camera, port commentator with a player job, pretty ordinary and biased but you can watch the entire game.

From what i've seen so far the game was pretty ordinary.

Fredi pretty muched summed it up perfectly.

* Howard was pretty oridnary once again. in the 2nd qtr he was running into an open goal to kick a soda from about 25 with no pressure, and he stubbed his toe or kicked it along the ground straight to the 1 port player standing on the line. Classic Howie

* Same poor delivery to tall targets
* Picken and Smith played like it was a regular season game, picken laying a nice bump that started a melee'
* Lots of kids in the side with Higgins the most experienced player out there and was easily the best.
* Koby Stevens was wearing number 16, looks a little like Griff with his tanned skin and hair colour, although he's a lot slower.

* Wasn't a big crowd, not sure what the ground holds, but probably just over half full.
* Apparently it was pretty cold, or so the commentator kept saying.

Dogs v Port (http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/502391/ptv+power+v+dogs+q3/default.aspx)

jazzadogs
08-11-2012, 07:00 PM
There is some full match videos on the AFL website, courtesy of Port Adelaide TV.
So it's a 1 camera, port commentator with a player job, pretty ordinary and biased but you can watch the entire game.

* Howard was pretty oridnary once again. in the 2nd qtr he was running into an open goal to kick a soda from about 25 with no pressure, and he stubbed his toe or kicked it along the ground straight to the 1 port player standing on the line. Classic Howie

* Picken and Smith played like it was a regular season game, picken laying a nice bump that started a melee'
* Lots of kids in the side with Higgins the most experienced player out there and was easily the best.
* Koby Stevens was wearing number 16, looks a little like Griff with his tanned skin and hair colour, although he's a lot slower.

* Wasn't a big crowd, not sure what the ground holds, but probably just over half full.

Dogs v Port (http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/502391/ptv+power+v+dogs+q3/default.aspx)
Also available on the Bulldogs website via BulldogsTV (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/BulldogsTV/LondonReplayDogsvPower/tabid/19242/Default.aspx). Haven't watched it so don't know if quality/commentary is any better.

First quarter isn't available at the moment.

neddie
08-11-2012, 11:50 PM

Best Players according to AustralianTimes.co.uk (dated 5/11) were Picken, Higgins, Veszpremi, Howard and Stevens. So much for your remark "classic Howie"!!!!!

Sockeye Salmon
09-11-2012, 11:19 PM
I just watched the game on Bulldogs TV (3 quarters of it anyway).

How come not a single person has mentioned the 50 metre penalty against Skinner with 2 minutes to go (and us up by 11 points) that gifted Port a goal?

azabob
09-11-2012, 11:25 PM

How come not a single person has mentioned the 50 metre penalty against Skinner with 2 minutes to go (and us up by 11 points) that gifted Port a goal?

Because only 3 people bothered watching it?

AndrewP6
09-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Because only 3 people bothered watching it?

Hahaha... Yep, sums it up nicely.

FrediKanoute
10-11-2012, 11:50 PM

Cold was an understatement.......freezing. definitely not typical London weather in early November. Going to be a long cold winter I think!

FrediKanoute
10-11-2012, 11:52 PM

To be honest by that stage I was frozen, had drunk 7 or 8 pints and just wanted the game to end so that I could go to the Frog or Alex in Clapham and have a few pints to warm up!

Throughandthrough
15-11-2012, 08:57 PM

nice bookend to Skinner's career :)

BornInDroopSt'54
21-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Only one more sleep for this article to be replaced as the WOOF head article. It must have had a record run or I'm like a few others, impatient for the draft.