PDA

View Full Version : Footballers who fought for our country

ledge
11-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Being remembrance day I thought it would be an idea for anyone to put names of footballers they know that died or served in the war, lest we forget.

AndrewP6
11-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Here's a list of players who died while on service
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Victorian_Football_League_players_who_died_on_active _service

KT31
12-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I remember reading a piece on University and how they could not recover from the ammount of players they had lost in both major wars.
From memory it was around 20 players lost in both wars.

bornadog
12-11-2012, 06:23 PM
I remember reading a piece on University and how they could not recover from the ammount of players they had lost in both major wars.
From memory it was around 20 players lost in both wars.

Both wars? They were out of the VFL in 1914

KT31
13-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Both wars? They were out of the VFL in 1914

Any wonder they folded they lost 19 players in WW1 and one who played for them in WW2.
Tragic losing one player let alone a whole side.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-11-2012, 01:50 PM
One of the Spurling boys died in Puckapunyal whilst completing his national service, after returning from Vietnam. He was playing for our under 19's when he was drafted/conscripted.

Twodogs
13-11-2012, 02:56 PM
One of the Spurling boys died in Puckapunyal whilst completing his national service, after returning from Vietnam. He was playing for our under 19's when he was drafted/conscripted.

Was that one of the 'Spurlings, the men's wear' Spurling boys?

BornInDroopSt'54
13-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Was that one of the 'Spurlings, the men's wear' Spurling boys?

Yes they're the ones, they were friends of the family when I was a little Bulldog. When my mother was having a chat in their shop I would go through the pockets of the suits and look at the footy cards in there. My favourite was Teddy Whitten with that classic airborne kicking style.
Whitten Oval is in the Spurling Reserve, Bill Spurling played in the early days of our entry into the VFL and played for the big V.

Twodogs
13-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Yes they're the ones, they were friends of the family when I was a little Bulldog. When my mother was having a chat in their shop I would go through the pockets of the suits and look at the footy cards in there. My favourite was Teddy Whitten with that classic airborne kicking style.
Whitten Oval is in the Spurling Reserve, Bill Spurling played in the early days of our entry into the VFL and played for the big V.

From memory Bill Spurling played at North Melbourne as well.