PDA

View Full Version : BMac on our future

bulldogsthru&thru
12-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Great article on BMac and the season that was and what the future might hold. Great insight.

"BRENDAN McCartney is standing up behind his assistants in the makeshift coaches' box at The Oval in London and in a split-second his demeanour changes.

"That's unacceptable," he screams. "Unacceptable. Get him off and tell him.""

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/brendan-mccartneys-players-have-learned-the-hard-way-as-the-bulldogs-look-to-prosperous-future/story-e6frf9io-1226514679201

F'scary
12-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Seems he wanted Dawes because he thinks Cordy & Jones need more development time.

azabob
12-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Great article on BMac and the season that was and what the future might hold. Great insight.

[/URL]

Agree, it was a great article, Scott Gullan is a very accomplished writer. I have enjoyed listenting to him on the ABC also.

Go_Dogs
12-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Good article, thanks for the link. I think the London trip seems to have been a great thing for the players and coaches - a good chance to refocus on where we need to improve after some time off.

Jasper
12-11-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm really starting to appreciate McCartneys visision of where this club shoul dbe heading. It might take a while but he is very calculated with his planning.

wimberga
12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Agree with Griff#16 - this article is great and it really seems like the guys had a good trip.

I really like the way Macca goes about it and I hope that he is around to reap the rewards of all the work he puts in over these next couple of years.

LostDoggy
12-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Was great to open up the H/S midway through a test game and see & read a great double page article relating to the Dogs. I believe in Macca...... Go Dogs of the future

Ghost Dog
13-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Looks ok with the stubble.

Dry Rot
13-11-2012, 01:57 AM
Looks ok with the stubble.

Needs to grow a mo or a beard, get good sunnies and a fine hat, and shave his head.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/underwire/2012/09/heisenberg_660.jpg

All footy fans would love seeing Heisenberg out on the ground at quarter and three quarter time.

MrMahatma
13-11-2012, 02:02 AM
Needs to grow a mo or a beard, get good sunnies and a fine hat, and shave his head.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/underwire/2012/09/heisenberg_660.jpg

All footy fans would love seeing Heisenberg out on the ground at quarter and three quarter time.
Literally just finished watching an episode of that. Good show.

Good article too. Sounds like he rates the talent on our list. He's quite effusive when he could just play it down.

Cyberdoggie
13-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Liked the article but i think it's about time the coach stopped referencing Geelong and Essendon all the time. I understand it's a big part of who he is but it just identifies him as that coach that came from Geelong/Essendon, and is just visiting or something.

bornadog
13-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Liked the article but i think it's about time the coach stopped referencing Geelong and Essendon all the time. I understand it's a big part of who he is but it just identifies him as that coach that came from Geelong/Essendon, and is just visiting or something.

This is the concern as he has limited experience and can't reference his playing days.

LostDoggy
13-11-2012, 10:46 AM
This is the concern as he has limited experience and can't reference his playing days.

And what if he played previously at only one club, would that somehow magically make him a better coach, would you get tired of him referencing his playing days? I just think this is soft target stuff. Our club has deemed he has the skills and range of experience to be a successful coach, lets give the man a chance to do his job.

G-Mo77
13-11-2012, 10:52 AM

That's his background so it's no surprise that he refer back to it. I've got no problem in using Geelong as a template for building a team.

Would you rather he reference Ocean Grove. ;)

The Pie Man
13-11-2012, 11:12 AM
That's his background so it's no surprise that he refer back to it. I've got no problem in using Geelong as a template for building a team.

Too good :D

I'm with Cyber though - he needs to stop referencing previous experience of any kind so much in the media - it's irrelevant. The game changes too much from season to season.

ledge
13-11-2012, 11:52 AM

I'm with Cyber though - he needs to stop referencing previous experience of any kind so much in the media - it's irrelevant. The game changes too much from season to season.

Hopefully in the coming years people get sick of him mentioning us after 10 year and 4 flags

Eastdog
13-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Hopefully in the coming years people get sick of him mentioning us after 10 year and 4 flags

Yes that would be good :D

Ghost Dog
13-11-2012, 12:43 PM
The Coach's emphasis on getting good blokes and basics = good.

Senior coaching experience in the box = Not quite there.

More from our assistant coaches in media = yes please. Shannon Grant especially.

Good promo for our club in this article? = Hell yes - love the union jack ref to our colours.

Focus on Liberatore a good thing? = Big question mark.

Breaking bad as a good example for the club? = maybe!!! :)

Cyberdoggie
13-11-2012, 01:15 PM

I'd rather he didn't reference anyone.

I want to hear him say only that this is the way i want to do it and this is the way it will work for 'our' club

I get the need to identify or qualify himself as being from that successful team down the road, but a year has past and that is old news.

If he is still coaching us in three years time will he still be bringing up geelong and talking about how good Ling and Harley were?, i can understand that for his first year but it's time to move on from that now.

I want to know that he is our coach and he bleeds red white and blue, not someone who is on loan from Geelong, or a Gus Hiddink who is just here for the cash and glory then he's off chasing the next dollar/rubel.

I want to hear him say he's doing it his way, sure lean from your past but you need to move on, because at the moment all i hear is that he's copying Geelong from 4 years ago and that it should work here. The game changes every year, what are we doing to be ahead of the game? I feel like we are in the catch up class.

MrMahatma
13-11-2012, 01:25 PM
People quote experience in any line of work. It's part of gaining credibility. The fact he's been assistant at other clubs, and was a big part on developing one of the all-time great teams is a good thing.

F'scary
13-11-2012, 01:38 PM
It is positive that he did not use the phrase "cracking in."

However, in the article when he screams

"That's unacceptable. Unacceptable. Get him off and tell him."

maybe the player was to be told off for not "cracking in."

bornadog
13-11-2012, 03:16 PM
And what if he played previously at only one club, would that somehow magically make him a better coach, would you get tired of him referencing his playing days? I just think this is soft target stuff. Our club has deemed he has the skills and range of experience to be a successful coach, lets give the man a chance to do his job.

I am giving him full support, what I said it is a concern.

What I saw in 2012 does not give me confidence for the future, but lets wait and see.

jeemak
13-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Give it a spell mate.

F'scary
13-11-2012, 03:29 PM
give it a spell mate.

abracadabra

Sedat
13-11-2012, 03:47 PM
I want to hear him say he's doing it his way, sure lean from your past but you need to move on, because at the moment all i hear is that he's copying Geelong from 4 years ago and that it should work here. The game changes every year, what are we doing to be ahead of the game? I feel like we are in the catch up class.
Maybe he's ahead of the pack and the game will revert to something along the lines of 2005-6 - ie: heavy one-on-one, huge emphasis on contested possessions and less emphasis on pristine ball movement. The cluster/press game plans of Hawthorn/St Kilda/Collingwood circa 2008-2010 are already obsolete, as is Geelong and Bulldogs run-and-gun game plan from the same period. Sydney just won a flag by playing most of the game in their back half and slingshotting the ball forward into wide open spaces a-la Pagan's Paddock - they won 2 of their finals after being smashed in contested possessions and time in opposition half.

Pristine ball movement is flavour of the month right now (Sydney, Hawthorn), but it might change over time as clubs won't want to give skilful players acres of space to distribute with precision - that might lead to potentially more one-on-one football in the next 2-3 seasons - if it doesn't, we are up the well-known creek without a paddle.

EasternWest
13-11-2012, 04:03 PM

Give it a spell mate.

Aside from the obvious desire for our team and our new coach to do well because I want to win, I really hope that we do improve so that those obnoxious posters that use the term "cracking in" so derisively will pull their heads in.

I'm with you jeemak, it's such a tired criticism that it doesn't even mean anything anymore. It should be followed up with "bring back Eade!".

jeemak
13-11-2012, 04:06 PM
abracadabra

I did actually laugh at this.

Remi Moses
13-11-2012, 04:08 PM

Huh? The continual sniping of the coach is tedious.
I just emplore we see how it goes this season, yes if we're non competitive like the second half of last season then serious questions have to be asked.

Remi Moses
13-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Aside from the obvious desire for our team and our new coach to do well because I want to win, I really hope that we do improve so that those obnoxious posters that use the term "cracking in" so derisively will pull their heads in.

I'm with you jeemak, it's such a tired criticism that it doesn't even mean anything anymore. It should be followed up with "bring back Eade!".

It was funny the first 100 times, but it's getting unfunny now.

EasternWest
13-11-2012, 04:19 PM
It was funny the first 100 times, but it's getting unfunny now.

I'd say the humour ran out well before then.

Anyway. I like that the coach has stuck to his guns and has a vision of what he wants us to be about. I can take pain, and I'm hopeful we'll see some gains towards the end of this year.

I'm at least willing to give him the term of his contract.

Sedat
13-11-2012, 04:20 PM
I can take pain
Well you are a Doggies supporter :D

F'scary
13-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Give it a spell mate.

Do you mean I am not to put any cracks in about cracking in?

Topdog
13-11-2012, 05:54 PM
agree that it is tiring to hear him always mention Geelong and Essendon. However good to see a nice article in the paper about us

LostDoggy
13-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Huh? The continual sniping of the coach is tedious.
I just emplore we see how it goes this season, yes if we're non competitive like the second half of last season then serious questions have to be asked.

The poster may be "a quality young man"! :D

LostDoggy
13-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Staggered at the angst directed at BMac. Harsh reality is he's been involved in more premiership teams in the last 5 years than we have taken out in our history. I'm not sure what else he could have done to explain reality to people internally as supporters and the public like these articles, about the reasons why we had the year we did. He hasn't wavered from his plan once, he knows exactly what he wants and how he's going to get us it.

I was fortunate enough to go to the social club function he held at ethiad last year when we unveiled our new draftees, the one thing that stuck in my mind was he said how went he went to the 09 preliminary, dogs saints, that he remembered seeing all the disappointed faces on bulldogs people and how much pain everyone experienced in that moment. All the tears, everything. He said that when he took the job that he wants to try and give happiness and joy to us and the club, He cares! This garbage people are saying about him not talking like he is a part of us.. Geelong this .. Essendon that, give me a break. I know we all care about this and we all want the same thing, can we try our best to trust and support this bloke, who so many high profile respected football people talk so highly of. We are in good hands. Lets look forward to watching him mold this list and develop these lads the way he wants, Then see how we look.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Staggered at the angst directed at BMac. Harsh reality is he's been involved in more premiership teams in the last 5 years than we have taken out in our history. I'm not sure what else he could have done to explain reality to people internally as supporters and the public like these articles, about the reasons why we had the year we did. He hasn't wavered from his plan once, he knows exactly what he wants and how he's going to get us it.

I was fortunate enough to go to the social club function he held at ethiad last year when we unveiled our new draftees, the one thing that stuck in my mind was he said how went he went to the 09 preliminary, dogs saints, that he remembered seeing all the disappointed faces on bulldogs people and how much pain everyone experienced in that moment. All the tears, everything. He said that when he took the job that he wants to try and give happiness and joy to us and the club, He cares! This garbage people are saying about him not talking like he is a part of us.. Geelong this .. Essendon that, give me a break. I know we all care about this and we all want the same thing, can we try our best to trust and support this bloke, who so many high profile respected football people talk so highly of. We are in good hands. Lets look forward to watching him mold this list and develop these lads the way he wants, Then see how we look.

Great post. I agree entirely. I have supported him since day 1 as everything he has said and done are what I've been looking for in the club for a while. He ticks all boxes for mine. I've never had as much faith in a coach as I do macca. We should be 100% behind him not taking pot shots at him. It will be a long journey. He is rebuilding our whole culture. I believe Exciting times are ahead

jeemak
13-11-2012, 11:12 PM

Good post.

He's not above criticism, of course. However, it's important when criticising to give some credit to him and the coaching team, and acknowledge that if we as supporters can see issues, there's a pretty good chance they can as well and they're forming a strategy to fix them.

wimberga
13-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Great post. I agree entirely. I have supported him since day 1 as everything he has said and done are what I've been looking for in the club for a while. He ticks all boxes for mine. I've never had as much faith in a coach as I do macca. We should be 100% behind him not taking pot shots at him. It will be a long journey. He is rebuilding our whole culture. I believe Exciting times are ahead

Absolutely Fantastic post!

Ghost Dog
13-11-2012, 11:50 PM
BMac has to keep the positive mantra because that's his job. Steady, consistent, unrelenting.
Of course it's going to be tiring to hear for some, even his supporters, but that's the way it is and he's the man we need.

He does come across as a bit stiff at times, and not as jockular as Eade. Just like a teacher, which can be annoying in a funny way.
But if posters can't handle a few of us teasing him a little for it from time to time, and get all defensive, what a bore.
Nobody has to like him, as long as he gets results. Respect the guy and really respect the club for making such a good call with the coach. Great leader with a big job ahead.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2012, 09:43 AM
BMac has to keep the positive mantra because that's his job. Steady, consistent, unrelenting.
Of course it's going to be tiring to hear for some, even his supporters, but that's the way it is and he's the man we need.

exactly. He is rebuilding a culture and the best way to do that is to be consistent and repetitive. You have to drill it into everyone so they all live and breathe the same values, especially in the early stages of the change. It will get a little repetitive im sure but he is getting everyone on board as believers

Ghost Dog
14-11-2012, 10:25 AM
I know BMAc's game day reactions or lack of them seemed to be cause for alarm and sparked a bit of a tirade of negativity on the boards. just letting the learning unfold as he claims or is he capable of the sorts of tactical tricks you need as senior coach? The ability to win dirty and street smarts? Time will tell.

It would be awesome to have an Eade or a Roos in the box as an assistant, like Collingwood or Bombers do.
So unable to do that, why not hire one of these ex senior types as consultant of sorts?
What would the problem be with hiring a mercenary to come into the club once a month, or as an assistant for a single game, to sit and give feedback? I'm sure there are problems but I'm not a footy expert so wondering what they are.

EasternWest
14-11-2012, 10:58 AM
But if posters can't handle a few of us teasing him a little for it from time to time, and get all defensive, what a bore.

What's boring is the derision with which the term "cracking in" is used.

Poking fun is one thing, and I don't have any problem with that or fair criticism either, but enough with the "cracking in" stuff. We get it. Everyone gets it. Move on.

Mofra
14-11-2012, 11:01 AM
It would be awesome to have an Eade or a Roos in the box as an assistant, like Collingwood or Bombers do.
So unable to do that, why not hire one of these ex senior types as consultant of sorts?
Not sure it will happen next year - Monty has been named as opposition and tactis coach (or something similar) for 2013.
I have no idea if he's better or worse at analysis than ex-senior coaches.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I know BMAc's game day reactions or lack of them seemed to be cause for alarm and sparked a bit of a tirade of negativity on the boards. just letting the learning unfold as he claims or is he capable of the sorts of tactical tricks you need as senior coach? The ability to win dirty and street smarts? Time will tell.

It would be awesome to have an Eade or a Roos in the box as an assistant, like Collingwood or Bombers do.So unable to do that, why not hire one of these ex senior types as consultant of sorts?
What would the problem be with hiring a mercenary to come into the club once a month, or as an assistant for a single game, to sit and give feedback? I'm sure there are problems but I'm not a footy expert so wondering what they are.

That would be a fantastic combination! I think we would really benefit from such a coaching arrangement

F'scary
14-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Poking fun is one thing, and I don't have any problem with that or fair criticism either, but enough with the "cracking in" stuff. We get it. Everyone gets it. Move on.

I had not realised it had passed its use-by date. Thank you & Jeemak, et al for the heads up.

But it was still crack-in me up.

EasternWest
14-11-2012, 02:15 PM
I had not realised it had passed its use-by date. Thank you & Jeemak, et al for the heads up.

Humour's still ok. This one can slide :).

bornadog
14-11-2012, 03:17 PM

The point is every article we read during the year and every post match, used that term.

yeah sick of it as well.

AndrewP6
14-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Nice. I'm not sure why everyone is crack-in it over a little humour...

Ok that was a stretch, I'll admit...:D

Maddog37
14-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Fair Crack of the whip, a jokes a joke.

Go_Dogs
14-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Staggered at the angst directed at BMac.

Great post mate, agreed with the lot. Going to take some time and won't be an easy ride but we've got to have faith that we're working towards a plan that will make us a genuine contender.

GVGjr
14-11-2012, 11:15 PM

Agreed. McCartney likes that 'cracking in' expression and Eade rarely had an interview where he didn't find certain aspects of the teams performance as 'pleasing'.
Their creatures of habits the coaches but we shouldn't ridicule them for it..

FrediKanoute
16-11-2012, 07:49 AM

The game changes, but what makes successful clubs doesn't, To me the jury's out on whether BMa's tactic's will work, but I think he has the strategy right - build a chanmpion team from the bottom up instilling a non-negotiable of winning the contest.

Geelong, Brisbane, Essendon, WCE are probably 3 of the best examples of this over the last 20 years.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-11-2012, 09:06 AM
The game changes, but what makes successful clubs doesn't, To me the jury's out on whether BMa's tactic's will work, but I think he has the strategy right - build a chanmpion team from the bottom up instilling a non-negotiable of winning the contest.

Geelong, Brisbane, Essendon, WCE are probably 3 of the best examples of this over the last 20 years.

Exactly. And the most important aspect of his vision is building the basics. Getting the absolute fundamentals 100% right. Successful teams are built on solid foundations that can withstand the pressure of finals