PDA

View Full Version : Who will kick the goals in 2013

bornadog
12-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Between 2005 to 2010 we were the highest goal scoring team in the AFL, well at least top three.

Opposition coaches saw what we were doing and decided to counter act this with forward pressure and then it all strated falling apart. In 2012 we really struggled to kick goals with no Barry hall and Gia missing games and struggling early on in the season. Johnno and Aker both retired a few years back and we just didn't replace them. Our entry into the forward 5o was also a big issue.

Who do you think will kick our goals, or should be ready to kick a decent amount?

I am looking at these guys to kick the goals, otherwise it will be another miserbale year

Dickson - 40 goals
Grant 25
Dahl: 22
Gia 30
Jones 25

Who else will kick goals? Have I got the above wrong.

Eastdog
12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
We don't have a key forward which is very important for any team. Tippett would of been handy. We need to spread it around like we did in 2009. I was hoping Panos would play a part next season but he is gone.

Maddog37
12-11-2012, 06:38 PM
We need more goals from Griff, Boyd, Wallis, Libba, Dahl and Picken. Oh also Cooney.

Basically our mids need to score.

Eastdog
12-11-2012, 06:55 PM
We need more goals from Griff, Boyd, Wallis, Libba, Dahl and Picken. Oh also Cooney.

Basically our mids need to score.

That's the way I see it in spreading it around. Our Mids need to score as well. Our delivery into the F50 needs to really improve because it was awful last year.

Mofra
12-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Tory Dickson for me - I think one of Cordy, Williams or Jones will provide a support act, a goal per game from one of them.

I think Gia's time has passed - a Mitch Hahn, on field coaching role which will benefit the kids but perhaps not the scoreboard in 2013.

Murphy could be the surprise packet forward and Cooney will bob up with a few when his knee allows, but sadly I think we'll be asking Griffen to everything next year including kick goals.

I like to see Fletcher Roberts get a go forward at AFL level, but he seems pegged as a backman.

Eastdog
12-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Tory Dickson for me - I think one of Cordy, Williams or Jones will provide a support act, a goal per game from one of them.

I think Gia's time has passed - a Mitch Hahn, on field coaching role which will benefit the kids but perhaps not the scoreboard in 2013.

Murphy could be the surprise packet forward and Cooney will bob up with a few when his knee allows, but sadly I think we'll be asking Griffen to everything next year including kick goals.

I like to see Fletcher Roberts get a go forward at AFL level, but he seems pegged as a backman.

Correct if I'm wrong but did Tom Hill get delisted. Was he another forward we had or was he more a ruck man.

GVGjr
12-11-2012, 07:20 PM
There is speculation that Murphy will play as a forwards this year so he should be good for a few goals.

bornadog
12-11-2012, 07:38 PM
There is speculation that Murphy will play as a forwards this year so he should be good for a few goals.

When Murphy played forward in the past, he was great for creating goals. Hopefully he still has it in him.

AndrewP6
12-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I think you're right on Dicko, BAD. I think we'll need Gia to make another solid contribution, and I'd be VERY (pleasantly) surprised if we got 50 from Grant and Jones. As noted, we need the mids to pitch in.

LostDoggy
12-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Agree with Dickson, although it would be a great effort to hit the 40 goal mark next year, i think it's just expected he will. Gets a big pre season under his belt and he will be a real handful.

Murphy should stay back for mine.. We need our young forwards to develop, as painful as it might be next year. We have no hope of playing finals as it is.

Plus Murphy was AA in 2011 playing half back. Another good year this year too. Don't see the point swinging him forward.

LostDoggy
12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Come on you blokes, dont worry about who will kick them. As Bmac says, if we work hard and create contests, the goals will come.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Come on you blokes, dont worry about who will kick them. As Bmac says, if we work hard and create contests, the goals will come.

It's an interesting philosophy. Whilst some of our supporters poke fun at it, there's certainly merit to it. Sydney and St. Kilda have been good examples of this in the past.

However, you do need some very good forwards to capitalise because as we saw in 2012, we were devoid of options.

Mofra
13-11-2012, 11:00 AM
It's an interesting philosophy. Whilst some of our supporters poke fun at it, there's certainly merit to it. Sydney and St. Kilda have been good examples of this in the past.
Sydney: Barry Hall, Michael O'Loughlin, Adam Goodes, Sam Reid
St Kilda: Nick Riewoldt, Kosi, Milne

Not really good examples IMO, given they had at least one genuine gun key forward (and supporting talls) in their GF teams as well as crumbers.

We need a key forward who demands the ball and provides the get-out option when the oppodition have zoned up (esp. when we have been too slow in bringing the ball forward). Cordy demands the ball sometimes but doesn't provide the multiple leads required.
Williams has done it for a game or two, but who knows if he can sustain it over a season. Jones is a no 2 forward and has alot of work to do to establish himself in the best 22 based on 2012's output.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Sydney: Barry Hall, Michael O'Loughlin, Adam Goodes, Sam Reid
St Kilda: Nick Riewoldt, Kosi, Milne

Not really good examples IMO, given they had at least one genuine gun key forward (and supporting talls) in their GF teams as well as crumbers.

We need a key forward who demands the ball and provides the get-out option when the oppodition have zoned up (esp. when we have been too slow in bringing the ball forward). Cordy demands the ball sometimes but doesn't provide the multiple leads required.
Williams has done it for a game or two, but who knows if he can sustain it over a season. Jones is a no 2 forward and has alot of work to do to establish himself in the best 22 based on 2012's output.

You left out the part where I said you do need quality forwards to capitalise. Not sure why?

Sydney and St. Kilda had a far greater emphasis on defense than attack, even with their stars up forward. They didn't blow teams out of the water through slicing and dicing them with precision foot skills, they grinded them down defensively and made it next to impossible for the opposition to score. Sometimes this was at the frustration of Hall and Riewoldt, though.

We're certainly trying to build something similar.