PDA

View Full Version : Recycled players

Bulldog Revolution
13-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Any recycled players that take your fancy in either of the upcoming drafts?

Jacobs - too many of his type already?

A speculative put on Toy? Hine? Gillies?

A former Bomber? Sam Lonergan? Ricky Dyson? Brent Prismall

Is there anything out there worth our while?

GVGjr
13-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I quite like Jacobs but he won't be a star player. More than capable of coming in and doing a consistent job for us and he is the right age. The problem is we probably won't select him at pick 22.

I don't have a lot of interest in Toy, Hine or Gillies (especially with Austin on the rookie list)

Prismall obviously holds some interest for our coach but I don't think he is what we need but you can probably mark him down as a certainty :)

Bate would be a decent option in my opinion as a pre-season draft pick. In most other years someone like Seaby would have some interested teams.

Stevo
13-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I always had a bit of time for Cheynee Stiller but is he training with another side?
Ricky Pettard still has a bit ot offer.

azabob
13-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Tom Gillies has signed with Melbourne as a delisted free agent.
Chanee Stiller has retired from AFL, after deciding not to relocate to Melbourne.

AndrewP6
13-11-2012, 10:40 PM
I always had a bit of time for Cheynee Stiller but is he training with another side?

Training with Richmond at the moment

Bulldog Revolution
14-11-2012, 08:59 AM
I quite like Jacobs but he won't be a star player. More than capable of coming in and doing a consistent job for us and he is the right age. The problem is we probably won't select him at pick 22.

I don't have a lot of interest in Toy, Hine or Gillies (especially with Austin on the rookie list)

Prismall obviously holds some interest for our coach but I don't think he is what we need but you can probably mark him down as a certainty :)

I'd be disappointed if we used 22 on Jacobs - I think we have to select the best kid their, otherwise we could have traded with Port earlier and got a pick back.

I think there are many that would be dismayed if we picked Prismall, however fine a character he is, we just dont need midfielders who dont have an elite edge

What position would or could he fill with us Stevo? Is he quick enough? Does he use it well?

LostDoggy
14-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I'd be disappointed if we used 22 on Jacobs - I think we have to select the best kid their, otherwise we could have traded with Port earlier and got a pick back.

I think there are many that would be dismayed if we picked Prismall, however fine a character he is, we just dont need midfielders who dont have an elite edge

What position would or could he fill with us Stevo? Is he quick enough? Does he use it well?

He could be our permanent Movember representative.

Mofra
14-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Bate would be a decent option in my opinion as a pre-season draft pick. In most other years someone like Seaby would have some interested teams.
If we're keen on Membrey, Bate would be the budget option. Similar size and role as a physical HF.

F'scary
14-11-2012, 01:42 PM
If we're keen on Membrey, Bate would be the budget option. Similar size and role as a physical HF.

If he is around for pick 89, then maybe.

Ghost Dog
14-11-2012, 02:31 PM
If we are interested in BATE ffs, why couldn't we just keep Moles and dye his hair red, just to save ourselves the trouble?

The Bulldogs Bite
14-11-2012, 02:49 PM

Except that Bate isn't physical.

Amazed if Bate gets another shot at AFL level. He's absolutely terrible; there's nothing in his game that stands up at AFL level that would make me even remotely consider him.

He's a VFL/Suburban level footballer.

bornadog
14-11-2012, 03:15 PM
If we are interested in BATE ffs, why couldn't we just keep Moles and dye his hair red, just to save ourselves the trouble?

Moles can't play at AFL Level.

The Pie Man
14-11-2012, 03:28 PM
EDIT: this was a twitter rumor, since debunked. Content of post deleted.

It was about Reimers - any interest?

azabob
14-11-2012, 10:51 PM

From the outside looking in he doesn't appear the type of character our coach would like.

GVGjr
14-11-2012, 11:01 PM

Not from me.

Bulldog Revolution
14-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Does Skinners de-listing mean we are more likely to look for a recycled?

or might we upgrade another rookie (Austin or Jong) and take another rookie?

Eastdog
14-11-2012, 11:14 PM
What is Sydney's trick? They are a club that seems to do very well with recycled players and it paid off this season with a premiership. When we pick recycled players up the just don't amount to a lot and disappoint.

azabob
14-11-2012, 11:16 PM

Not sure, feel a bit for Panos, but no point re-drafting Panos, nor a recycled player.

I hope we draft a kid in either the main draft or rookie draft.

Eastdog
14-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Not sure, feel a bit for Panos, but no point re-drafting Panos, nor a recycled player.

I hope we draft a kid in either the main draft or rookie draft.

Hopefully we draft a future champion full forward.

GVGjr
14-11-2012, 11:26 PM

I don't know but what it does do for us is provide a few options.
Skinner was a project player and it didn't quite work. Good luck to him but now lets find someone we can get a 100 games from.

Ghost Dog
14-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Moles can't play at AFL Level.

And Bate can?

GVGjr
14-11-2012, 11:42 PM
And Bate can?

I think he can GD. He was an excellent junior footballer which Moles wasn't and I think he has suffered for a few seasons from being in a poor team. I'm not saying he can be a gun footballer but for the right side he might be able to add another 60 games or more to his career.

bornadog
15-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I think he can GD. He was an excellent junior footballer which Moles wasn't and I think he has suffered for a few seasons from being in a poor team. I'm not saying he can be a gun footballer but for the right side he might be able to add another 60 games or more to his career.

Now that Skinner has retired, do you think Bate is the logical replacement?

Ghost Dog
15-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Ok fair enough. Just going on what Melb supporters say and what I have seen.
Where would you play him?

bornadog
15-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Ok fair enough. Just going on what Melb supporters say and what I have seen.
Where would you play him?

Forward pocket if we pick him

Personally, I would prefer to bring in another 18 year old kid, or even Toy.

Ghost Dog
15-11-2012, 11:11 AM
We have Dickson, Dahlhaus, Higgins, even Howard, Gia for another year, I'm not sure we are wanting for blokes in that position.
I'd much rather have someone you can play all over the ground. And we could use another tagger type.

bornadog
15-11-2012, 11:30 AM
We have Dickson, Dahlhaus, Higgins, even Howard, Gia for another year, I'm not sure we are wanting for blokes in that position.
I'd much rather have someone you can play all over the ground. And we could use another tagger type.

Don't forget Murphy will be playing in the forward line next year. As I said, I hope we don't pick Bate or Prismall but if we had to go to the PSD, then a young player is preferred. We don't need a tagger, we need a hard running long kicking midfielder who can hit targets in the forward 50.

Ghost Dog
15-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Don't forget Murphy will be playing in the forward line next year. As I said, I hope we don't pick Bate or Prismall but if we had to go to the PSD, then a young player is preferred. We don't need a tagger, we need a hard running long kicking midfielder who can hit targets in the forward 50.

Agree, although Stevens and Howard should be able to do this. We recruited Howard on the strength of his kicking and I've been underwhelmed by that aspect of his game, but also been surprised that he is quite hard at the ball.
What if Picken were to go down? Would leave a massive gap.

LostDoggy
15-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Actually Moles was an excellent junior footballer in Tassie.

Mofra
15-11-2012, 01:00 PM
I think Bate plays differently - a harder, Mitch Hahn type forward role.
Dickson I have complete faith in (and think he'll lead our goalkicking next year) and Dahlhaus is a known entity, but Gia will surely decline, Higgins would be wonderful if his body ever held up and I have to be honest in having little faith in Howard as a player, let alone as a forward.

B-Mac mentioned we want a half forward who can "do it all" - to me that means we have a list of players to consider like Menzel, Membrey, perhaps even a Max Duffy as a late pick, or will look to a recycled type like Bate or one of those 'Tullamarine-people'

F'scary
15-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Yesterday, I computed that pick 89 might be worth a risk on him. Today, I have gone off this theory. See below.

To assist you, I have interrogated a Dees supporter. Sorry to disappoint you but he confessed that Bates was no Mitch Hahn bull-at-the-gate type. It took little pressure to make him say that Bate in fact could be relied on to go missing when it got heavy. It computes - if Bate was reasonably like Hahn, he would not have been delisted. He would be their captain.

I have a question. Does Skinner's retirement mean that Western Bulldogs next pick after 89 is now effectively freed up as another has been added after our current last pick which will serve to use on one of the two rookie promotions?

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-11-2012, 05:17 PM

I tend to agree. Bate to me provides added forward line experience that we lack currently.
I also believe he would be a better player under BMcC. Is a different type to Gia, Dahlhaus, Higgins and Dickson insofar as he would add another marking option on the forward line. Bate would have to be a better option than the likes of Sherman, Moles, DJ and Skinner.

Ghost Dog
15-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Dickson I have complete faith in (and think he'll lead our goalkicking next year) and Dahlhaus is a known entity, but Gia will surely decline, Higgins would be wonderful if his body ever held up and I have to be honest in having little faith in Howard as a player, let alone as a forward.

B-Mac mentioned we want a half forward who can "do it all" - to me that means we have a list of players to consider like Menzel, Membrey, perhaps even a Max Duffy as a late pick, or will look to a recycled type like Bate or one of those 'Tullamarine-people'

Bate like Mitch Hahn? mmmm ok

I'm not sure I subscribe to cutting him any slack just because he has come from Smellbourne FC. If Melb suck so badly, and he's ok, he should be getting a fair old kick.

With recycled players, I subscribe to the theory that if they play really well as an opponent of the Bulldogs, then if we get the chance, draft them.

In round 4 he picked up 20 disposals, 6 marks, 4 disposals, 2 goals against us. Not bad.
Then again, a guy like Nathan Jones, he burrows on regardless of what Melbourne FC do.
Bate on the other hand, his highlights reel in 2012 was against us and GWS.
Not a great advertisment.

However, played just 12 games and Neeld probably knew he was going to delist him so discount 2012.
claims to want a rebounding role down back and Vezpremi just looks out of sorts to me. So give him a punt down there?

Bulldog4life
15-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Bate like Mitch Hahn? mmmm ok

I'm not sure I subscribe to cutting him any slack just because he has come from Smellbourne FC. If Melb suck so badly, and he's ok, he should be getting a fair old kick.

With recycled players, I subscribe to the theory that if they play really well as an opponent of the Bulldogs, then if we get the chance, draft them.

In round 4 he picked up 20 disposals, 6 marks, 4 disposals, 2 goals against us. Not bad.
Then again, a guy like Nathan Jones, he burrows on regardless of what Melbourne FC do.
Bate on the other hand, his highlights reel in 2012 was against us and GWS.
Not a great advertisment.

However, played just 12 games and Neeld probably knew he was going to delist him so discount 2012.
claims to want a rebounding role down back and Vezpremi just looks out of sorts to me. So give him a punt down there?

Season hasn't started yet Ghost! Give him some slack.:)

Ghost Dog
15-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I mean in 2012 and as a backline player generally. Would he not be much more effective up forward?

Bulldog4life
15-11-2012, 07:42 PM
I mean in 2012 and as a backline player generally. Would he not be much more effective up forward?

Personally I would like to see him play in the forward line. Good kick for goal and can roost the ball a fair way.

The Underdog
15-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Personally I would like to see him play in the forward line. Good kick for goal and can roost the ball a fair way.

Always looked a small forward to me.

GVGjr
15-11-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm lukewarm on him but I can see why he might hold an interest for us.

Ghost Dog
15-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Right on. Did he ever play down back for Sydney? Seems a bit lost down back a lot of the time.

GVGjr
15-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Right on. Did he ever play down back for Sydney? Seems a bit lost down back a lot of the time.

Veszpremi? I think he was only used as a forward in Sydney

azabob
15-11-2012, 08:46 PM

GD, not sure we should be using his Sydney form line as an indication of where his best position is.

Vez played down back in the under 18's and did quite well, I think he is more an attacking running defender than a small forward. The whole backline looked lost at times, and considering how easy the football would come into defence no wonder he looked lost.

He has talent and appears to have the right attitude, otherwise he would have been delisted.

You obviously don't rate him, he has shown more than Skinner and you were willing to give Skinner a go and often said the coaches see something in Skinner, so as you said once or twice about Skinner, I think you should give Vez some slack as obviously the coaches rate him. :)

Happy Days
15-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Vez played down back in the under 18's and did quite well

He looked like the second coming of Luke Hodge!

Bulldog Revolution
15-11-2012, 11:08 PM
He doesnt necessarily suit our needs but I always thought Sam Lonergan was a pretty good player

Have I got it wrong on him? Does he just not use it well enough?

Surely he will be on a list though

Bulldog Revolution
16-11-2012, 12:20 AM
He looked like the second coming of Luke Hodge!

Watched the second pre season training clip on the Dogs website, and time will tell but I dont think Ive ever seen Vez look fitter

Ghost Dog
16-11-2012, 12:17 PM
GD, not sure we should be using his Sydney form line as an indication of where his best position is.

Vez played down back in the under 18's and did quite well, I think he is more an attacking running defender than a small forward. The whole backline looked lost at times, and considering how easy the football would come into defence no wonder he looked lost.

He has talent and appears to have the right attitude, otherwise he would have been delisted.

You obviously don't rate him, he has shown more than Skinner and you were willing to give Skinner a go and often said the coaches see something in Skinner, so as you said once or twice about Skinner, I think you should give Vez some slack as obviously the coaches rate him. :)

Good points, no I think Vez has something to offer us, but not as a backline player as he's too short. Which other backline player in any other team as a model of success would you compare him to? I can't think of one. Harbrow was short, but he used to run half way down the field.
Can think of a few forwards he could model his game on. Like one of Collingwood's small forwards.

We could do with an extra crumber type and someone to overlap in the midfield. Hooper never really worked out, but I think Vez could do that on top of another preseason. Plus what he could offer us in light of an aging Gia, would be better in the forward line but we persist with him down back and I'm not sure why.

Mofra
16-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Good points, no I think Vez has something to offer us, but not as a backline player as he's too short. Which other backline player in any other team as a model of success would you compare him to?
Vez is 181cm, just shy of 6 foot.
I think most teams would have a small defender of that height if he could rebound.

Excluding midfielders there's: Johncock at 180cm, McLeod 181cm, Guerra 182cm, Puopolo 173cm, Rhyce Shaw 183cm, Marty Clarke 181cm, Ben Johnson 183cm just for starters.

Aren't we considering Colquhoun in the draft as a rebounding defender at 179cm?

Ghost Dog
16-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Various differences in the examples above. But in such a weak forward line, could it hurt to give him a go there?