PDA

View Full Version : Professional.

Twodogs
15-11-2012, 02:50 PM
What dos that word mean to you?

I ask because footballers are fulltime professionals these days. But I wonder, outside of earning a fulltime living, what does that entail? Is it just maintaining yourself in the correct physical condition and understanding the team's tactics well enough to play the game? Or is there a greater responsiblity to the club you play for and the code you play?

So what's the role and responsibility of a professional footballer these days?

AndrewP6
15-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Great thread !
I think in todays game, the professionalism is all encompassing, with sponsors to answer to, and members being the lifeblood. I personally think there's merit in someone who just goes about their on field work and then does their own thing away from it. However, I can certainly acknowledge there's much more tied in to it these days.

GVGjr
15-11-2012, 10:40 PM
For a footballer it's about becoming the best player they can by being disciplined and dedicated. Also the ability to help and encouraged others is something that the more professional guys can do. To me a fine example of this would be Daniel Cross.

There are a few other intangibles as AndrewP6 has indicated but guys that can focus on their career like Cross just has to spring to mind when you talk about what it takes to be a professional footballer.

Twodogs
16-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Cross is a fine example. His attention to recovery and attention to detail. Also his blameless private life is important.

Was it him and Tom Williams who jumped into the water and saved that drowning girl?

Bulldog4life
16-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Cross is a fine example. His attention to recovery and attention to detail. Also his blameless private life is important.

Was it him and Tom Williams who jumped into the water and saved that drowning girl?

Yes in Hong Kong if I remember Twodogs. A very couragious act by both.

Ghost Dog
16-11-2012, 08:31 PM
A professional starts something, continues and finishes it off. They don't leave work undone.
A professional always does 10% more than they have to.
A pro leaves their ego at the door, can be as arrogant as they need to be on field, but switches the arrogance off and recognizes that is not appropriate off the field.
A professional recognizes the important roles played by all, from the boot strapper, to the members and the orange boy. He knows where he sits in the pecking order, for the players, at the top, but understands he can't have full confidence without the cooperation of all these little guys. And he lets them know it by working well together with them.
A professional is a moral person at their core. I don't think having a beer too many or having an embarrassing photo on facebook is a hanging offence. But Jason Gram type stuff does not give a player the confidence to give their trade the best they can.

LongWait
16-11-2012, 09:25 PM
A professional starts something, continues and finishes it off. They don't leave work undone.
A pro leaves their ego at the door, can be as arrogant as they need to be on field, but switches the arrogance off and recognizes that is not appropriate off the field.
A professional recognizes the important roles played by all, from the boot strapper, to the members and the orange boy. He knows where he sits in the pecking order, for the players, at the top, but understands he can't have full confidence without the cooperation of all these little guys. And he lets them know it by working well together with them.
A professional is a moral person at their core. I don't think having a beer too many or having an embarrassing photo on facebook is a hanging offence. But Jason Gram type stuff does not give a player the confidence to give their trade the best they can.

Well done. :)

Topdog
16-11-2012, 09:38 PM
A professional is not a sports player (true in about 80+% of cases I believe). I loathe the fact that society looks up to these people as role models.

LongWait
16-11-2012, 09:55 PM
A professional is not a sports player (true in about 80+% of cases I believe). I loathe the fact that society looks up to these people as role models.

Quite a few people earn their living by being professional athletes. Why can't some of them be considered as professionals and as being worthy of admiration?

Eastdog
16-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Quite a few people earn their living by being professional athletes. Why can't some of them be considered as professionals and as being worthy of admiration?

I do agree with Topdog in that there are some athletes out there who do not act professional at all eg: Ben Cousins and most recently Jason Gram. I also agree with LongWait in that there are a lot of athletes that do act professional and don't do unprofessionally things.

Ghost Dog
17-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Well done. :)

Excuse my rantings LongWait....

LongWait
17-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Excuse my rantings...

I enjoyed it.

Topdog
17-11-2012, 11:10 AM

Thats why I gave a %. Obviously not all are clowns but very few deserve to be looked up to. I actually think we have a higher % than most team at the dogs but still I wouldn't name more than 10-15 in our club. I actually dont think I'd get to 10 being honest but just thinking quickly without actually going through and checking names off.

LongWait
17-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Thats why I gave a %. Obviously not all are clowns but very few deserve to be looked up to. I actually think we have a higher % than most team at the dogs but still I wouldn't name more than 10-15 in our club. I actually dont think I'd get to 10 being honest but just thinking quickly without actually going through and checking names off.

We may be arguing over semantics here but I can name dozens of "professionals" I know in various fields such as medicine, the law, education, banking, law enforcement, military etc who range from being utter scumbags to being cynical, uncaring money-grabbing arses. I also know a lot who are thorough professionals with whom I happily trust my life.

To single out athletes as being poor role models probably reflects a bias against younger males as role models. Most male sub-23 year old uni students are hardly inspiring role models either.

Twodogs
17-11-2012, 12:30 PM

Well said. That's exactly the sort of list I was looking for. I especially like your first point. I believe a true professional is defined by results and doesnt let anything interfere with or get in the way of the successful pursuit of those results.

It all comes down to physical and mental preperation and recovery. Doing everything you can to get the best out of the team you play for.

Not meaning to pick you out LW (you just happened to be the first poster to mention it) but that's exactly the meaning I wouldnt apply to professionalism. I think that just because someone makes their living out of sport doesnt automatically mean they are a professional athlete. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that being a pro is more a state of mind rather than just happening to get paid to play a sport because you are really good at it.

LongWait
17-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Not meaning to pick you out LW (you just happened to be the first poster to mention it) but that's exactly the meaning I wouldnt apply to professionalism. I think that just because someone makes their living out of sport doesnt automatically mean they are a professional athlete. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that being a pro is more a state of mind rather than just happening to get paid to play a sport because you are really good at it.

You've quoted me out of context there - I was responding to the claim by TopDog that "...a professional is not a sports player."

If you agree that a professional can't be a sports player, then your thread makes no sense at all.

boydogs
17-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Professional implies a certain preparation and focus. Usually some sort of training or study is involved that improves the quality of their output.

They practice their artform to the point of mastery.

Topdog
17-11-2012, 07:01 PM
We may be arguing over semantics here but I can name dozens of "professionals" I know in various fields such as medicine, the law, education, banking, law enforcement, military etc who range from being utter scumbags to being cynical, uncaring money-grabbing arses. I also know a lot who are thorough professionals with whom I happily trust my life.

To single out athletes as being poor role models probably reflects a bias against younger males as role models. Most male sub-23 year old uni students are hardly inspiring role models either.

Nah it is a bias against them being thrust into the role of a role model when they either

a) don't want it
b) aren't ready for it.

I'm dismayed by society using these players in such a manner more than anything but now taking the thread way off topic.

I do believe though that a large number of AFL players are no where near professional.

Happy Days
17-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Most male sub-23 year old uni students are hardly inspiring role models either.

Oi !