PDA

View Full Version : Phantom draft

GVGjr
16-11-2012, 07:10 AM
The Hun (http://dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/find-out-who-your-club-is-predicted-in-thursdays-national-afl-draft/story-e6frexx0-1226517613127) has added a Phantom Draft for the top 30 picks that has us getting O'Rourke, Menzel and Sam Colquhoun with our 3 picks.

This gives us a midfielder, forward and defender which is quite balance. I would probably prefer us to take someone like Aiden Corr at pick 22 but I think it would be a great result on draft day.

always right
16-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Would personally like us to pick up another tall KPP but wouldn't be unhappy with these selections. Afterall they're all going to be champions if you read their reviews.

Bulldog Revolution
16-11-2012, 09:31 AM
The Hun (http://dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/find-out-who-your-club-is-predicted-in-thursdays-national-afl-draft/story-e6frexx0-1226517613127) has added a Phantom Draft for the top 30 picks that has us getting O'Rourke, Menzel and Sam Colquhoun with our 3 picks.

This gives us a midfielder, forward and defender which is quite balance. I would probably prefer us to take someone like Aiden Corr at pick 22 but I think it would be a great result on draft day.

I dont think there is any chance we would take Colquhoun with pick 22

If we were to take him I think it would be at 51

bulldogsthru&thru
16-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Would personally like us to pick up another tall KPP but wouldn't be unhappy with these selections. Afterall they're all going to be champions if you read their reviews.

Same here. I like picks 5 nd 6 but would also prefer a KPP at 22. O'Brien would be a great get but pies will snap him up

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Same here. I like picks 5 nd 6 but would also prefer a KPP at 22. O'Brien would be a great get but pies will snap him up

I dont mind the first two picks, but I'd like us to take Ben Jacobs with 21 or 22( whatever it turns out to be once Adelaide's penalty is settled). For mine, Mendel is a bog ris, and I think Jacobs represents a solid bet, and e is a less risky prospect than an untried kid,at that stage of the draft. He has shown ability in his few games to date. Whilst still only 20, he has already had a couple of pre seasons under his belt.

Bulldog4life
16-11-2012, 10:48 AM
I dont mind the first two picks, but I'd like us to take Ben Jacobs with 21 or 22( whatever it turns out to be once Adelaide's penalty is settled). For mine, Mendel is a bog ris, and I think Jacobs represents a solid bet, and e is a less risky prospect than an untried kid,at that stage of the draft. He has shown ability in his few games to date. Whilst still only 20, he has already had a couple of pre seasons under his belt.

I'm with you YHF. I like the way the kid plays and if he is available with our 3rd selection I'd like us to pick him too.

stefoid
16-11-2012, 11:18 AM

Whats his disposal and decision making like, under pressure? We cant afford another turnover merchant.

Bulldog Revolution
16-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm with you YHF. I like the way the kid plays and if he is available with our 3rd selection I'd like us to pick him too.

I feel that we've already given up a later pick to get Stevens, and he needs to be given the opportunity to play, otherwise that was a complete waste of time, particularly as physically he is ready to play

With the ageing Boyd and Cross, plus Smith, Libba and Wallis, and Stevens, do we really have room for another inside mid-like player?

I think our 3rd selection is too high a price, and I'd expect him to be gone before our next pick

Axe Man
16-11-2012, 11:41 AM
This article has linked us with Jacobs: North Melbourne's plan to land Ben Jacobs in the draft could be ruined by St Kilda or the Bulldogs (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/trade-and-draft/north-melbournes-plan-to-land-ben-jacobs-in-the-draft-could-be-ruined-by-st-kilda-or-the-bulldogs/story-fna8vsun-1226517900642)

Sounds like he will have a hefty price on his head for a largely unproven player.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-11-2012, 12:27 PM
I feel that we've already given up a later pick to get Stevens, and he needs to be given the opportunity to play, otherwise that was a complete waste of time, particularly as physically he is ready to play

With the ageing Boyd and Cross, plus Smith, Libba and Wallis, and Stevens, do we really have room for another inside mid-like player?

I think our 3rd selection is too high a price, and I'd expect him to be gone before our next pick

I don't see him as a midfielder or being in competition with Stevens. I think he would be valuable off the back half. From what I've seen he can use the ball well, which is a plus given its an area we don't have a lot of strength in. With it being flagged that Murph might spend a lot of time forward next year, I think we need kicking skills added to our backline.

Mofra
16-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Sounds like he will have a hefty price on his head for a largely unproven player.
He was even more unproven when Port took him with a pick in the teens.

kruder
16-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Pick 22 is getting very interesting. I'd love to snag Kennedy at 22 and don't mind Colquhoun either who was fantastic at the champs but the uncontested style of games did suit him well. Has anyone seen him enough to rate his defensive work?

It's a big question needs vs best available but I understand posters KPP wants as I don't think our current tall forwards cut it. I'd go best available though as I think we will have some currency next year with salary cap and draft position to snag a needs player.

Patton anyone???????:)))))))))

Axe Man
16-11-2012, 12:51 PM
He was even more unproven when Port took him with a pick in the teens.

:confused: I was referring to his salary demands, not the draft pick used. Port have been paying him a draftee salary, we would have to pay him a fairly significant amount by the sounds of things. I have no idea whether he is worth it or not, I'm simply highlighting it.

Cyberdoggie
16-11-2012, 01:09 PM
The pick me video on ollie wines shows him as quite impressive.

Ball magnet clay smith type midfielder and also very intelligent.

Interesting part is that he is best mates with Jack Viney.
They grew up together and Todd has had a big influence in his development.

So it's a given that Melbourne will pick him with their first pick if he's available.
Strange how these things work out.

The Pie Man
16-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Footage of Colquhoun on You Tube looks ok - neat user, penetrating kick, and while most of the highlights showed his run to receive, there was a moment where he got crunched going back with the flight and still held onto the mark.

Tipping BMac would've liked that

Cyberdoggie
16-11-2012, 02:23 PM
The pick me videos are a great insight into what sort of character these guys are.

They ask some good questions and get great honest answers, not your boring formula questions you get on the WB website (ie what's your favourite movie, what was the last concert you went to, what's a perfect weekend etc).

They actually ask about their game, strengths and weaknesses.
You can tell which players are more mature ones and which are not.

Here's my take for example:

Ollie Wines: Intelligent, mature, knows there's life after footy, Confident, articulate.

Tim Membrey: Loves tattoo's, will be covered head to toe in them before long, working as a plumber already

Jono O'Rourke: Quiet, intelligent, may lack some confidence, bit of a Griffen type of personality

Mason Shaw: Doesn't lack confidence in his own ability, likens himself to Dale Thomas because he likes to "burn off" opposition, comes over as a bit arrogant, likes to use slang words like dude a lot

Nathan Hrovat: confident, media friendly type personality (you would expect to see him on a footy show panel one day)

Jake Stringer: very serious and calculated type, confident and mature, country boy, no frills, calls a spade a spade.

Nick Vlastuin: vic metro captain, likes to talk up his toughness, has confidence but perhaps a little immature still.

Tanner Smith: easy going, team player type, happy to be with his mates and in the group.

Taylor Garner: seems a bit younger, although has ambition and drive. Realizes has a lot of hard work to do and response well to a kick up the butt.

Lachie Whitfield: A gifted athletic type his whole life, not sure he's had a real challenge yet, light bodied and may not adapt to the man's game for a while, fairly cool calm and collected quite type.

Tom Temay: quiet but confident, good team player type, not one to stir the pot, someone Bmac would love.

stefoid
16-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Someone on BF said Kennedy wants to stay in SA and pulled a 'rioli' at the draft camp interviews.
Hence him sliding to Ports pick 30, I guess (with the crows being penalized almost fer sure)

the chat is interesting http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/find-out-who-your-club-is-predicted-in-thursdays-national-afl-draft/story-e6frexx0-1226517613127

Going on what Landsberger says, our picks in order of desirability to our recruiters would be :

1) whitfield
2) toumpas
3) wines
4) menzel
5) orourke
6) stringer

so it all just depends on who dees and gws take, with:

GWS - whitfield, toumpas, plowman
dees - wines

being the most likely, leaving us with menzel and orourke

stringer fans will have to pray that GWS take menzel over plowman, I guess.

Throughandthrough
16-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Someone on BF said Kennedy wants to stay in SA and pulled a 'rioli' at the draft camp interviews.
Hence him sliding to Ports pick 30, I guess (with the crows being penalized almost fer sure)

the chat is interesting http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/find-out-who-your-club-is-predicted-in-thursdays-national-afl-draft/story-e6frexx0-1226517613127

Going on what Landsberger says, our picks in order of desirability to our recruiters would be :

1) whitfield
2) toumpas
3) wines
4) menzel
5) orourke
6) stringer

so it all just depends on who dees and gws take, with:

GWS - whitfield, toumpas, plowman
dees - wines

being the most likely, leaving us with menzel and orourke

stringer fans will have to pray that GWS take menzel over plowman, I guess.

Wheres the link to that please Stefoid?

I doubt that would be the case. But he is pretty close to his family. Kenno does have an unusual sense of humour. (Like his great mate Grundy)

Eastdog
16-11-2012, 05:19 PM

It's good to see will most likely pick up a forward in there as that is a big gap in our team. I wouldn't want to be the Adelaide Crows right now. They are really going to suffer with the draft.

azabob
16-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Crows will participate in the draft. The hearing has been postponed.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Crows will participate in the draft. The hearing has been postponed.

Little annoyed at this.

I hope Adelaide and Melbourne are punished severely, but I am not counting on it. Whilst this doesn't directly relate to us, we can't seem to 'get a bit of luck'. An earlier pick (or more if Melbourne were included) would have been helpful.

azabob
16-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Little annoyed at this.

I hope Adelaide and Melbourne are punished severely, but I am not counting on it. Whilst this doesn't directly relate to us, we can't seem to 'get a bit of luck'. An earlier pick (or more if Melbourne were included) would have been helpful.

To me it is no surprise both clubs are able to participate in the draft. The AFL took too long to lay charges, I guess the only bonus is it gives Emma Quayle, I mean the AFL to find more dodgy deals the crows have done.

Remi Moses
16-11-2012, 10:04 PM
To me it is no surprise both clubs are able to participate in the draft. The AFL took too long to lay charges, I guess the only bonus is it gives Emma Quayle, I mean the AFL to find more dodgy deals the crows have done.

Ahh Nice.
Fairfax have been all over this.

Throughandthrough
16-11-2012, 10:08 PM
The delay makes sense. And also means the penalty may be bigger.....a lot bigger!

Bulldog Revolution
17-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Yes, a shame for us its not this year, but compared to Carlton losing pick 1, losing pick 20 is hardly comparable

I agree, the penalty will likely get tougher

GVGjr
17-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Yes, a shame for us its not this year, but compared to Carlton losing pick 1, losing pick 20 is hardly comparable

I agree, the penalty will likely get tougher

They also have Brad Crouch who they secured in the mini draft last year heading their way.
Any penalties won't hurt then in the next two years but if they lose access to rounds one and two on the draft for 2 to 3 years plus cop a reduction to the salary cap then they will be held back for a fair while.

Bulldog Revolution
17-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Emma Quayle on us

DRAFT DAY: The Bulldogs are in for a tough short-term. The good news is that the rejuvenation is well underway, with 16 players blooded in the past two years. But they'll need time, and with a bunch of their best players inching closer to the end and their middle bracket affected by the loss of Ward and Harbrow and the fact neither Djerrkura nor Justin Sherman worked out, the Dogs could be left with more holes to fill soon. This draft is enormous for them, in other words. The Dogs need a bit of everything, but will be hoping wingman Jimmy Toumpas gets past GWS and Melbourne. It's a possibility, and the same applies for Jono O'Rourke, another classy on-baller. Jackson Macrae is a strong chance to go at 5 or 6, with the big-bodied Jake Stringer also a rough chance. The Dogs' group of tall defenders looks young and vulnerable, which makes defender Lachie Plowman a consideration, even though he could hardly be an immediate saviour at the age of 18. At pick 22 there will be some talls around, with Tim O'Brien and Tim Membrey appealing options.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/emma-quayles-clubbyclub-guide-to-the-2012-national-draft-20121116-29hnj.html#ixzz2CQCbcmzy

GVGjr
17-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks BR, I noticed that Emma didn't mention Menzel.
I hope we get O'Rourke and either Menzel, Plowman and if Toumpas is somehow available I'm not sure how we could pass on him. Macrae keeps being linked to us so he must be right in the mix.

azabob
17-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I hope we get O'Rourke and either Menzel, Plowman and if Toumpas is somehow available I'm not sure how we could pass on him. Macrae keeps being linked to us so he must be right in the mix.

We were very keen on Menzel mid year, I wonder what has changed?

What role do you see Plowmann playing and would you give up pick 5 or 6? Im not sure on him, he appears that awkward height and perhaps isn't quick enough to play as a running defender. What is his kicking like?

GVGjr
17-11-2012, 10:56 AM
We were very keen on Menzel mid year, I wonder what has changed?

What role do you see Plowmann playing and would you give up pick 5 or 6? Im not sure on him, he appears that awkward height and perhaps isn't quick enough to play as a running defender. What is his kicking like?

I think Emma is indicating that Menzel might go in the first 3 picks rather than us losing interest in him.

I rate Plowman. He would mainly play as a 3rd tall defender and maybe a run on a wing.
He is creative which given Talia, Roberts and Roughead are unlikely to be able to play that role I think there is a spot open for him. Perhaps he is close to a Murphy/Morris type player.

If Toumpas, Menzel, Plowman and O'Rourke were all available at our picks I think Dalrymple has some hard choices to make.

Go_Dogs
17-11-2012, 11:08 AM
If Toumpas, Menzel, Plowman and O'Rourke were all available at our picks I think Dalrymple has some hard choices to make.

That would be a great problem to have.

If I had to call it (right at this moment and likely to change) I'd grab Toumpas and Menzel, but wouldn't be unhappy with any combination really.

azabob
17-11-2012, 11:25 AM
What happens if Melbourne don't take Wines. Do we take him? Or do we really need to focus on players such as O'Rourke, McCrae, Menzel.

It will certainly be an interesting time in the first ten minutes.

Thankfully it will be suspenseful since the AFL did away with the reverse countdown.

SlimPickens
17-11-2012, 11:55 AM
What happens if Melbourne don't take Wines. Do we take him? Or do we really need to focus on players such as O'Rourke, McCrae, Menzel.

Thankfully it will be suspenseful since the AFL did away with the reverse countdown.

I think you do. Wines is an excellent prospect and would slot into our midfield nicely.

If we ended up with Wines and O'Rourke that would be a big win.

Ghost Dog
17-11-2012, 12:07 PM
We are in for some hard times ahead. One thing that gives me hope is that quite a few good draft picks still want to come to us, despite knowing that.

The Pie Man
17-11-2012, 12:20 PM

My brother works at Carey and has heard he's been told we'll take him.

Looked a more creative/evasive version of Howard to me from the Pick Me footage. Seemed to have a lot of time with the ball in his hands, you wonder if he'll be able to find the same at senior level.

Certainly a very good side step - not quite Harbrow-esque but still looked good.

The Pie Man
17-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Picks 5 & 6 are great, though I don't envy our recruiting team having to wait and see what GWS do. I hope it's not just me becoming a touch obsessive about what's going to happen here :o

Toumpas appears a wildcard to me if Emma is spot on about GWS passing - can't see BMac liking his self described mainly outside game, but he looks to me to be exactly what we need.

Doc26
17-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Emma's also missed Sherman in her Out list for us in her article in case anyone is using it to count the numbers.

Cyberdoggie
17-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Can't see us picking Membrey, not really Bmac's type i would of thought

LostDoggy
17-11-2012, 02:50 PM

I would be comfortable with any of these ..... although a little cautious about Menzel's knee issues. Pleased to see the experts dont have Stringer associated with the top 10 picks as some of the reports from the draft camp arent great about his running issues.

GVGjr
17-11-2012, 04:09 PM

I don't think there is much of a chance of that but he's a fine player we should consider.

GVGjr
17-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Can't see us picking Membrey, not really Bmac's type i would of thought

Not so sure about that Cyberdoggie.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-11-2012, 04:45 PM
I would think Membrey is a big chance at 22.

I think O'Brien will be taken by Collingwood or Adelaide.

SlimPickens
17-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I would think Membrey is a big chance at 22.

I think O'Brien will be taken by Collingwood or Adelaide.

Would be surprised if Membrey got through to us. If he does though I'd imagine Bmac would be right into him. Didn't he say we would be looking at a strong bodied medium forward a couple of months ago?

Agree with you about O'Brien, with Collingwood losing Dawes i think they'll be right into him.

Remi Moses
17-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Would be surprised if Membrey got through to us. If he does though I'd imagine Bmac would be right into him. Didn't he say we would be looking at a strong bodied medium forward a couple of months ago?

Agree with you about O'Brien, with Collingwood losing Dawes i think they'll be right into him.

What I saw of the championships he works hard as a forward.
Paramount in this era

azabob
17-11-2012, 05:21 PM

Yes Bmac did mention we are looking at a strong bodied medium forward, however I took this as to be a potential trade or free agency signing, so who really knows.

Membrey looks to rely on his physical strength, is he agile and relative quick?

GVGjr
17-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Yes Bmac did mention we are looking at a strong bodied medium forward, however I took this as to be a potential trade or free agency signing, so who really knows.

Membrey looks to rely on his physical strength, is he agile and relative quick?

I think Membrey meets a lot of the criteria we are looking for but I hope we look past him.

While he tested OK at the combine I'd rather go for someone with a better of athleticism.

Happy Days
17-11-2012, 08:26 PM
The thing with Wines is the perception of him as a "hard at it contested beast" really belies the fact that he's quite a good user of the footy; I'd be rapt if we were lucky enough to have him fall to us.

Fits the McCartney edict and the need for quality use, not something that many others in the comp can do to such effect.

azabob
17-11-2012, 08:31 PM
The thing with Wines is the perception of him as a "hard at it contested beast" really belies the fact that he's quite a good user of the footy; I'd be rapt if we were lucky enough to have him fall to us.

Fits the McCartney edict and the need for quality use, not something that many others in the comp can do to such effect.

If he can use the footy plus his hardness, you are right he is a very rare commodity.

Cyberdoggie
20-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Not so sure about that Cyberdoggie.

Does he pass the "no idiots test"?

Not saying he's an idiot, just saying that he may be a bit like Sherman, Beams, Swan.
The kid will be covered in tatts in a couple of years and we've seen that Bmac doesn't like the posers with what we saw with Sherman.

Mantis
20-11-2012, 12:44 PM

Not saying he's an idiot, just saying that he may be a bit like Sherman, Beams, Swan.
The kid will be covered in tatts in a couple of years and we've seen that Bmac doesn't like the posers with what we saw with Sherman.

Doesn't Clay Smith have ink work?

The Underdog
20-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Doesn't Clay Smith have ink work?

Yes, he has some very ordinary ink work (it's ok, he'd laugh at my very un-tough tough stickers)

Happy Days
20-11-2012, 02:12 PM

This all reads as very presumptuous and harsh on the kid's character

Remi Moses
20-11-2012, 02:53 PM
If we hate kids with tatts we'll never recruit anyone again.

kruder
20-11-2012, 03:30 PM
I think Membrey meets a lot of the criteria we are looking for but I hope we look past him.

While he tested OK at the combine I'd rather go for someone with a better of athleticism.

Mason Wood, can run all day has great agility and can kick I'd take him over Membrey in a heart beat. Also unlike our young forwards seem to have some confidence about him, which I hope translates into wanting the ball in his hands.

Cyberdoggie
20-11-2012, 03:36 PM
This all reads as very presumptuous and harsh on the kid's character

That's true, i'm only going off what i've seen first hand in his interviews, and my first impression is that he's a bit of a yobbo.

He may well turn out to be different, but that's the impression i get.

Cyberdoggie
20-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Mason Wood, can run all day has great agility and can kick I'd take him over Membrey in a heart beat. Also unlike our young forwards seem to have some confidence about him, which I hope translates into wanting the ball in his hands.

You don't think he comes over as being arrogant?

It's ok to be king of the play ground but when you step up to the big league can you cut the mustard?

He's certainly got Nick Riewoldt like playing abilities i'll give him that.

kruder
20-11-2012, 04:19 PM

It's ok to be king of the play ground but when you step up to the big league can you cut the mustard?

He has potential A grade attributes, unlike the majority of our list and a forward with a tank,agility and neat skills with a bit of confidence could cause havoc at AFL level. Easily worth pick 22 IMO.

GVGjr
20-11-2012, 07:34 PM

He's a strong build and and a key forward of sorts so I think he might measure up to at least some of McCartney's requirements.

Dogs 24/7
20-11-2012, 10:24 PM

A fine line between arrogance and confidence. I think he sits on the right side.

Id rather him than Membrey