PDA

View Full Version : Doug Hawkins

BulldogBelle
17-11-2012, 12:18 AM
I often wonder why he never took on a more active role with the Bulldogs post his playing career. Sure, he’s occasionally made a few appearances here and there over the years. I know he loves the club deeply but it would be nice if he was more involved in some way.

What do you guys think?

Ghost Dog
17-11-2012, 01:03 AM
I love Doug, but he's often not afraid of calling a spade a spade and I wonder how popular that makes him at the top level. Example, Libba's punishment and subsequent comments by Doug regarding that in the papers.

Dry Rot
17-11-2012, 01:14 AM
never saw him play - what was his position, style and what current player most resembles him?

Ghost Dog
17-11-2012, 01:16 AM
According to Mick Malthouse, the most talented player he has every seen.

Eastdog
17-11-2012, 01:18 AM
never saw him play - what was his position, style and what current player most resembles him?

Never seen him play either Dry Rot but from what I've read about Doug is that he was one of the best wingers in the comp when he was playing. He along with Sutton and Whitten is an icon of our club.

boydogs
17-11-2012, 01:24 AM
I often wonder why he never took on a more active role with the Bulldogs post his playing career. Sure, he’s occasionally made a few appearances here and there over the years. I know he loves the club deeply but it would be nice if he was more involved in some way.

What do you guys think?

What sort of role? With the greatest respect, he doesn't have a reputation of being an intellectual.

dog town
17-11-2012, 01:27 AM
Coaching Bacchus Marsh in the Ballarat League this year. Big challenge for a first year coach.

AndrewP6
17-11-2012, 02:01 AM
No disrespect to the great man(undoubtedly one of the greatest Bulldogs), his best work was done on-field. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Remi Moses
17-11-2012, 04:17 AM
Gee you folks missed out on one of our greats.
Easily the most skilled poised player in my time.
There was a time on kickouts we'd kick it to Doug one on one and he'd mark it.
Often one handed!!
Then there was his one handed pick ups in the mud.
His kicking ( both sides)and he'd be a number one pick on ability if drafted now.
It would be interesting in the draft era what number he'd go.

Ghost Dog
17-11-2012, 05:46 AM
We must get more youtube up of old Bulldogs clips.
Would be a good thing for the club new media blokes to do. Nothing of Libba, Douggy or many others on the net.

GVGjr
17-11-2012, 07:31 AM
For DR and Eastdog
Hawkins was originally a winger who tended to play on one side of the ground which is the reason why the outer wing is called 'The Doug Hawkins Wing'

The wind tended to push the game to the outer side and you wanted Hawkins to be in the play as much as you could. Our defenders would look to kick the ball to him as much as the could because in a one on one situation Hawkins could out muscle and out mark nearly every other winger. In a confined space or a one on one situation Hawkins probably had no peers.
Opposition coaches worked that out and at kick ins would push another player across to that wing so as to not have Hawkins in a one on one situation.

He was very light on his feet and had a quick first step.

In the later years after injuries and age had slowed him down he would often be used as a loose man in the back line cutting off the kicks to the opposition key forwards.
A bit later in his career Dougie made a very successful move as a forward pocket. The distance of his kicking had declined but he was still a handful.

Dougie was a larrikin no doubt. One of the great stories he told in a post match interview was about Dougie having a crack at big Tony Lockett.

The Dogs had controlled a game against the Saints from the outset. Tony Campbell (the gloved wonder) was doing another fine job on Lockett and Peter Foster was more than holding his own against Stuart Loewe. The Saints had to get these players into the game and switched big Tony to CHF. Sensing that Fossie might struggle, Hawkins was sent to the back line and parked himself about 20 to 30 mtrs away from big Tony. The ball came down a few times and Dougie cut it off before it got to Lockett. He also let him know about it which riled up Lockett. I think Hawkins made Tony run as well which the big fella didn't enjoy.

He was almost at breaking point when Foster somehow got off Lockett and ran down the field and kicked a goal (I actually think he kicked a point).

Hawkins immediately ran just close enough to Locket to advise him that Foster was an old man and a defender but had kicked more goals that Lockett on this day. Big Tony snapped and said he would get Hawkins. Hawk ran up to Fossie who was jogging back to Lockett and said well done but for Christ sake don't stand too close to big Tony because he has cracked the shits. Knowing that Hawkins caused this Foster shook his head, sarcastically thanked the Hawk and proceeded to stand about 3 mtrs away from Lockett hoping like hell he would cool down

For those that don't know too much about Lockett, he was certainly not the sort of bloke you wanted to be near when he was shitty. With the game now won Hawkins somehow managed to get moved to the forward line leaving Foster to deal with the monster he helped create.

Hawkins was a great player to watch and I have a framed poster of him from his 300th game which I have kept for all this time.

GVGjr
17-11-2012, 08:40 AM

What do you guys think?

I think he could be a fine mentor for a younger player or two. I suppose the trouble is not many youngsters would know too much about him.

Hotdog60
17-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Hawkins was a great player to watch and I have a framed poster of him from his 300th game which I have kept for all this time.

I love watching Dougie and was one of the elite I just wished it had ended better than it did. Thanks for the trip down memory lane GVGjr.:)

always right
17-11-2012, 09:42 AM
There have been some dark times in our history when you went to games just to watch individuals. Templeton was one of those and so was Doug. His skill level was freakish and unlike his off field persona, he was a genuinely smart footballer. Probably the best kick on his wrong side, second only to Leon Cameron. Superstar.

Evel
17-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Unfortunately due to my age I missed Dougie in his prime. Not sure if it's the same game GVGjr is referring too, but I was at the Dogs v Saints 92 final at Waverley. Doug was playing in the fwd pocket in the first qtr and kicked a couple early from memory. The Saints were never really in it and he was giving it to them all day. I even remember him giving instruction to young Chris Grant that day who also looked very dangerous. Time flies.

Doc26
17-11-2012, 10:29 AM
DR, I don't believe any post on Woof has made me feel as old today as yours ;). A kind of reality check that I'm not young anymore.

I spent the greater part of the 80s standing out in the terraces on the outer wing of the Western Oval, stuck in the heart of opposition supporters being abused from pillar to post, all for the privilege of being that bit closer to watching Doug's skill and finesse. To this day I can't recall any other player that has influenced where I would actually stand, or now sit, at any Bulldogs game. Doug did this throughout what was a long and rather brilliant career at the Bulldogs..

Hawthorn in particular dominated much of the 80s with a list of players to die for. The pending matchup of Doug against Dipper (Dipierdomenico), Hawthorn's hard yet talented wingman through much of this period who himself won a 'Charlie' in 86, when a Dogs v Hawks game loomed became at its height as anticipated a matchup as a Carey v Jakovitch or today, well I can't think of any.

With Doug there is this irony or contradiction that carries when it comes to the off field persona he's built of being a stupid, larrikin type to that which he displayed with a football in his hands. Doug had that rather arrogant football gift of making opposing players around him look pedestrian.

I have loved watching the careers of so many Bulldog players over the years, Fossie, Libba, Granty, Wyndy, Westy and Johno etc etc but for mine Doug was my 'first love' so to speak. With such grace, class and poise only gifted to few players ala a Pendlebury of today, for mine Doug still sits up in rarified air amongst our very best and most gifted footballers to have graced the field.

azabob
17-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Loyal as they come. I'm too young also to fully appriciate his ability, but i got the impression he loved his club and teammates.

I'm certain more than once Essendon would've come with a contract twice the size and the opportunity to play finals and in grand finals.

Would love more stories about the Hawk both off field, on field and even on planes!

Mitcha
17-11-2012, 11:20 AM
The Hawk is no doubt one of our greatest ever but I for one always cringe whenever he is in the media talking about decisions made by the club which he has no real idea about. Street smart on the ground but hardly a Rhodes scholar off it.

Twodogs
17-11-2012, 12:11 PM
For those of you who want to see the Hawk at his absolute best go to youtube and enter '1985 semi Footscray V North Melbourne' and then sit back and marvel. Keep an eye out for the pass to Jimmy Edmond in the second quarter when we start to get on top. It is the best kick I've ever seen.

Doug had;

The kicking skills of Lindsay Gilbee (on both feet though)
The overhead marking skills of Brad Johnson
The ability to hold his position/stay on his feet in a contest like Ryan Griffin
Read the flight of the ball like Brian Lake
The evasive skills of Julian Assange

All in all Doug was the best proponent of a position that doesnt really exist these days. These days he would pay off a half back flank in the quarterback position. He'd hit a target everytime by hand or foot, cut off opposition attacks, win every marking contest and if a player was in trouble he'd just have to get it to Doug and we'd be away.

The Pie Man
17-11-2012, 12:36 PM
For those of you who want to see the Hawk at his absolute best go to youtube and enter '1985 semi Footscray V North Melbourne' and then sit back and marvel. Keep an eye out for the pass to Jimmy Edmond in the second quarter when we start to get on top. It is the best kick I've ever seen.

Doug had;

The kicking skills of Lindsay Gilbee (on both feet though)
The overhead marking skills of Brad Johnson
The ability to hold his position/stay on his feet in a contest like Ryan Griffin
Read the flight of the ball like Brian Lake
The evasive skills of Julian Assange

All in all Doug was the best proponent of a position that doesnt really exist these days. These days he would pay off a half back flank in the quarterback position. He'd hit a target everytime by hand or foot, cut off opposition attacks, win every marking contest and if a player was in trouble he'd just have to get it to Doug and we'd be away.

IMV only Leon Cameron bettered Hawk for use of the footy on both sides of the body at the club.

Was only 8YO but can still remember how flat we all were standing in the old Southern Stand of the G when he did his knee against Collingwood in 86

Was always perplexed as to why he didn't play more state footy, he was certainly good enough.

azabob
17-11-2012, 12:48 PM
IMV only Leon Cameron bettered Hawk for use of the footy on both sides of the body at the club.

Was only 8YO but can still remember how flat we all were standing in the old Southern Stand of the G when he did his knee against Collingwood in 86

Was always perplexed as to why he didn't play more state footy, he was certainly good enough.

Im around your age Pie Man so not sure we are old enough to fully understand the Hawks skill level compared to players such as Cameron and Gilbee.

Twodogs
17-11-2012, 01:21 PM

Thanks for mentioning that. I meant to but I plain forgot. When people ask about how the '85 team fell away so quickly I just point out the players who missed virtually the whole of the next year with serious knee injurys. Doug Hawkins, Brian Cordy and Les Bamblett.

Doug got locked up for being drunk down in Tassie on a Big V trip. He got told that while certain people still had anything to do with picking Victorian State of Origin teams then Doug would never be picked to play again. That must have been in the mid '80s. From memory Darren Millane was Doug's cellmate for the night.

strebla
17-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I was lucky enough to see him at his brilliant best and i can tell you his kicking ability made Leon Cameron look ordinary the amount of times Rick Kennedy would hit up Hawkins who then hit up Simon Beasley was unbelievable.Can still recall him doing his knee I was shattered.I was also at his comeback game and have never ever heard a bigger cheer than when he jogged onto the ground Steve McPhereson (I think) had no idea what was going on an absolute legend of the club and the game.

GVGjr
17-11-2012, 05:33 PM
While Hawkins was a great kick he wasn't a particularly long one. He could weight the ball pretty well though.

Eastdog
17-11-2012, 05:38 PM
For DR and Eastdog
Hawkins was originally a winger who tended to play on one side of the ground which is the reason why the outer wing is called 'The Doug Hawkins Wing'

The wind tended to push the game to the outer side and you wanted Hawkins to be in the play as much as you could. Our defenders would look to kick the ball to him as much as the could because in a one on one situation Hawkins could out muscle and out mark nearly every other winger. In a confined space or a one on one situation Hawkins probably had no peers.
Opposition coaches worked that out and at kick ins would push another player across to that wing so as to not have Hawkins in a one on one situation.

He was very light on his feet and had a quick first step.

In the later years after injuries and age had slowed him down he would often be used as a loose man in the back line cutting off the kicks to the opposition key forwards.
A bit later in his career Dougie made a very successful move as a forward pocket. The distance of his kicking had declined but he was still a handful.

Dougie was a larrikin no doubt. One of the great stories he told in a post match interview was about Dougie having a crack at big Tony Lockett.

The Dogs had controlled a game against the Saints from the outset. Tony Campbell (the gloved wonder) was doing another fine job on Lockett and Peter Foster was more than holding his own against Stuart Loewe. The Saints had to get these players into the game and switched big Tony to CHF. Sensing that Fossie might struggle, Hawkins was sent to the back line and parked himself about 20 to 30 mtrs away from big Tony. The ball came down a few times and Dougie cut it off before it got to Lockett. He also let him know about it which riled up Lockett. I think Hawkins made Tony run as well which the big fella didn't enjoy.

He was almost at breaking point when Foster somehow got off Lockett and ran down the field and kicked a goal (I actually think he kicked a point).

Hawkins immediately ran just close enough to Locket to advise him that Foster was an old man and a defender but had kicked more goals that Lockett on this day. Big Tony snapped and said he would get Hawkins. Hawk ran up to Fossie who was jogging back to Lockett and said well done but for Christ sake don't stand too close to big Tony because he has cracked the shits. Knowing that Hawkins caused this Foster shook his head, sarcastically thanked the Hawk and proceeded to stand about 3 mtrs away from Lockett hoping like hell he would cool down

For those that don't know too much about Lockett, he was certainly not the sort of bloke you wanted to be near when he was shitty. With the game now won Hawkins somehow managed to get moved to the forward line leaving Foster to deal with the monster he helped create.

Thanks GVGjr. That was a very good read.

ledge
17-11-2012, 07:45 PM
When Doug was at Fitzroy, Raelene (his wife) was having their second child at Bacchus Marsh, my wife was having our first, Doug wandered in leaning on a door, he was completely spent after a night of training and told me so after I mentioned he looked half dead.
Raelene was great checked on my son every time she checked hers.

Funny story from mt brother who's son was playing juniors at Melton and Doug was doing a guest appearance at training, my brother and him were chatting and one of the kids ran up to Doug and said guess who's coming to training, Doug replied I don't know who, with that the kid said Doug Hawkins and ran off! The kid had no idea he was talking to him.

Doug was never a rocket scientist and thank god football was around, but Is one of the nicest people you would ever meet.

AndrewP6
17-11-2012, 07:59 PM
I was at a family day years ago, Doug was at the handball target. He was doing his best to help me win, lifting up the target to "assist" me. Raelene told him "Jeez Doug, he'd be doing better without your help!"

Ghost Dog
17-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I remember you telling this story before. His intentions are good. Maybe just a bit overzealous.

AndrewP6
17-11-2012, 09:51 PM
I remember you telling this story before. His intentions are good. Maybe just a bit overzealous.

Oops, I'm forgetting my own anecdotes!:o

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
17-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Ah that one handed pick up off the wet turf and his pass to Edmond in the 85 final against North. He was the classiest player we ever had

gohardorgohome
17-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Ah that one handed pick up off the wet turf and his pass to Edmond in the 85 final against North. He was the classiest player we ever had

I remember this very well. It had to have gone at least 45 metres and at no time was the ball more then three metres off the ground.

I recall him handballing the ball onto an opponents boot where it then went out of bounds on the full for a Footscray free kick.

He was excellent on both sides and took well balanced contested one handed marks all day on the outer wing.

I can't think of a more skilled doggies player. Possibly Aker, Murph and Leon Cameron were at the same level.

Remi Moses
18-11-2012, 01:21 AM
I like Doug on both sides on short kicks( less than say 40)
I'd have Leon over a longer distance.
Dedicated Doug( with all the programs they have in place now)
would be an absolute gun in this era

BornInDroopSt'54
18-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Met Doug at a pub and I lamented that he and Whitten were not as well appreciated outside the club simply because few of their great deeds were caught by the cameras because Footscray were not on the replay much. You had to be at the game to appreciate. He just gave that hysterical laugh of his. As great as his skill was, his intellect was in inverse proportion.

F'scary
18-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Using today's parlance: unstoppable midfielder equally comfortable with inside & outside work.

He had the physique of a strongman, the legs of a 100m sprinter, the agility of a ballet dancer. Ball magnet, high possession winner, never out of the play, never needed a breather. Never took a short step. Liked the rough stuff. Could dish it out with the best of them. Accuracy of disposal was as high as any in % terms. He was also a good overhead mark.

Maybe Pendlebury of Collingwood.

F'scary
18-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Unfortunately due to my age I missed Dougie in his prime. Not sure if it's the same game GVGjr is referring too, but I was at the Dogs v Saints 92 final at Waverley. Doug was playing in the fwd pocket in the first qtr and kicked a couple early from memory. The Saints were never really in it and he was giving it to them all day. I even remember him giving instruction to young Chris Grant that day who also looked very dangerous. Time flies.

I was at this game. Hawkins was good but Chris Grant beat the Saints single-handedly and before half-time at that. I know, I used to follow the other side.

LostDoggy
18-11-2012, 06:47 PM

I'd throw Chris Grant in there too, i remember towards the end of his career absolutly pin pointing left foot kicks when he was playing alot across half back. It sticks in my mind cause I noticed it when he had those terrible yips kicking set shots at goal. Couldn't kick a 30m 45deg goal but could nail a tick off a dogs back when kicking across defence with his left?

We must get more youtube up of old Bulldogs clips.
Would be a good thing for the club new media blokes to do. Nothing of Libba, Douggy or many others on the net.

If you guys can get a hold of some old vids like "Diamond Dogs '92 season" or "The Hawk" there are some highlights of him there. Later in his career though.
Hawk was a gun.
Very underrated due to nil brownlows / premierships. Due to this underration i think people forget just how good he was. You watch things like the Sydney game highlights in the first few rounds on Diamond dogs and you think "wow that was when his prime was wrapping up!"

ledge
18-11-2012, 09:04 PM
I'd throw Chris Grant in there too, i remember towards the end of his career absolutly pin pointing left foot kicks when he was playing alot across half back. It sticks in my mind cause I noticed it when he had those terrible yips kicking set shots at goal. Couldn't kick a 30m 45deg goal but could nail a tick off a dogs back when kicking across defence with his left?

If you guys can get a hold of some old vids like "Diamond Dogs '92 season" or "The Hawk" there are some highlights of him there. Later in his career though.
Hawk was a gun.
Very underrated due to nil brownlows / premierships. Due to this underration i think people forget just how good he was. You watch things like the Sydney game highlights in the first few rounds on Diamond dogs and you think "wow that was when his prime was wrapping up!"

Don't think Hawk was ever under rated.

LostDog
19-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Doug is a great storyteller, his story of him and Russell Gilbert in primary school is classic, they used to copy each other.

craigsahibee
19-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Doug is a great storyteller, his story of him and Russell Gilbert in primary school is classic, they used to copy each other.

Russell Gilbert claims he kept Douglas to 4 goals one day in Juniors when he was kicking double figures on everyone else. What Gilbo then goes on to say is that he was playing CHF that day and Doug was playing CHB.

Doug was a shining light in some dark days for the club. He played on a wing in an era of some terrific wingmen. Dipper as mentioned, Robbie Flower, the late Merv Neagle and even Rhys-Jones to name a few. Doug used to destroy them all.

Dermis rates Doug and Darren Jarman as the only players he has soon who can hit a target by foot while actually walking backwards.

I really feel privileged to have been able to watch The Hawk in his prime.

LostDoggy
20-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Probably credit him with being the reason I followed the Dogs.

Silky skills on both sides was his stand out as well as his ability to scoop the ball on the run - he just seemed to have it on a string.

Remember him touching up Dipper on the wing one game at the WO and we bumped into Dipper in the car park afterwards and my mate's old man reminded Dipper of this and he just shrugged his shoulders as if to say 'yeh, too good for me'.

Was good to have that contact and banter back in the day with players - even remember going down into the change room at the WO one game and nearly falling over as Super McPherson wandered past stark naked like no one was there - even though place was crowded!)

Just sorry he finished his career at another club - still remember how ridiculous his book looked with a caricature of him on the front cover wearing a part dogs, part Fitzroy jumper!

Danny the snakeman
21-11-2012, 01:12 AM
For DR and Eastdog

I have one of the "doug hawkins 300 game" tshirts they printed at the time which i never wore and kept in a draw till i met him about 7yrs ago in perth when i got him to sign it for me. Now takes pride of place framed on my wall.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-11-2012, 12:59 PM
I have one of the "doug hawkins 300 game" tshirts they printed at the time which i never wore and kept in a draw till i met him about 7yrs ago in perth when i got him to sign it for me. Now takes pride of place framed on my wall.

Fantastic that you were able to nab him in Perth to sign it.

strebla
22-11-2012, 11:28 AM
There have been Quite a few references to dipper here my darkest mood as a dog was the 85 prelim. Hawk and Dipper toe to toe all day Doug got the better of him but the first thing the big bloke done when the siren went was to go to Hawk and shake his hand always respected dipper for that. This just typifies the respect the man had in footy and why I love the game like i do.

Mofra
22-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I'll never forget a game vs St Kilda at Whitten Oval. Dougie was in the twilight of his career, playing FP. Ball comes down, he gathers and snaps a goal.

Not 2 minutes later the same thing happens at the other end, Lockett at the height of his powers gathers a loose ball and snaps a behind.

Straight away someone screams out "who the f%&# do you think you are Lockett, Doug Hawkins?"

Crowd loved it :D

KT31
23-11-2012, 11:39 AM
I'll never forget a game vs St Kilda at Whitten Oval. Dougie was in the twilight of his career, playing FP. Ball comes down, he gathers and snaps a goal.

Not 2 minutes later the same thing happens at the other end, Lockett at the height of his powers gathers a loose ball and snaps a behind.

Straight away someone screams out "who the f%&# do you think you are Lockett, Doug Hawkins?"

Champagne. http://images.zaazu.com/img/Cheers--cheers-champagne-wine-smiley-emoticon-000272-large.gif

LostDoggy
24-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Don't think Hawk was ever under rated.

I'm talking about now a days, especially outside of our supporters.

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm talking about now a days, especially outside of our supporters.

This is a trend across all players, not just Dougie or ex-Footscray players. As the years go by, the commonly-held myth is that the players are getting better and better. For example, the constant claim from opposition fans that EJ Whitten couldn't hold a candle to modern players.

Sure, we have better sports science, etc. and full-time players rather than beer-swilling, cigarette-smoking players who worked 9-5 in a factory somewhere, but I think people tend to underestimate the competitive drive that made men like Doug, Dipper, EJ etc. the players they were. If they were 18-year-old kids today, they'd be pushing just as hard as they did back then to play league footy.

bulldogtragic
03-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Watching Dougie on Open Mike now. Good stuff.

I was too young for 85, but I can see how many still have nightmares.

Captain Gronewagon :) :) :)

always right
04-11-2013, 11:07 AM
The prelim final Doug played against North in 1985 was one of the stellar finals performances....certainly from a bulldogs player anyway. His footskills were amazing that day.

Twodogs
04-11-2013, 11:49 AM
The prelim final Doug played against North in 1985 was one of the stellar finals performances....certainly from a bulldogs player anyway. His footskills were amazing that day.

First semi. The Prelim was against Hawthorn the following week.

The pass to Edmond in the second quarter was outstanding, after that we were never going to lose that game.

always right
04-11-2013, 12:07 PM
First semi. The Prelim was against Hawthorn the following week.

Yep.....spot on.

Remi Moses
04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Watching Dougie on Open Mike now. Good stuff.

I was too young for 85, but I can see how many still have nightmares.

Captain Gronewagon :) :) :)

In fairness Hawks skipped away to a 20 odd point lead and we kicked a few junk time goals .
Think we would have pushed Essendon closer than Hawthorn did, but they were by far the best side in 85

bornadog
04-11-2013, 04:08 PM
In fairness Hawks skipped away to a 20 odd point lead and we kicked a few junk time goals .
Think we would have pushed Essendon closer than Hawthorn did, but they were by far the best side in 85

Bad coaching after the scores were tight for three quarters of the game.

Twodogs
04-11-2013, 04:25 PM

I thought we went 8 points up early in the last quarter until the little thug kicked a few and they did get twenty odd points again but we had one big effort left. We spent it and got within a goal and a bit when the Siren went. Mind you, there are a lot of reasons why my memory could be a bit shaky from that day to this.

And that 1985 Essendon team was the best beatdirectpenentthenkicktoanothercontest old fashioned footy team I saw

bornadog
04-11-2013, 04:48 PM
And that 1985 Essendon team was the best beatdirectpenentthenkicktoanothercontest old fashioned footy team I saw

Which we smashed at home:)

always right
04-11-2013, 05:48 PM
I thought we went 8 points up early in the last quarter until the little thug kicked a few and they did get twenty odd points again but we had one big effort left. We spent it and got within a goal and a bit when the Siren went. Mind you, there are a lot of reasons why my memory could be a bit shaky from that day to this.

Your recollection is correct. A game we lost rather than Hawthorn won. Watched the replay back and some of our errors were appalling.....Rick Kennedy being one of the main culprits giving away some really stupid free kicks and 50m penalties. We would have given Essendon a huge scare in the GF that year.

bornadog
04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Your recollection is correct. A game we lost rather than Hawthorn won. Watched the replay back and some of our errors were appalling.....Rick Kennedy being one of the main culprits giving away some really stupid free kicks and 50m penalties. We would have given Essendon a huge scare in the GF that year.

don't remind me I am still seething:D

How good was the clash between Dougie and Dipper

chef
04-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Bad coaching as in leaving Hardie on Matthews?

bornadog
04-11-2013, 06:04 PM

yes that was part of it.

Remi Moses
05-11-2013, 02:53 AM
Hardie flogged Matthews ( hence he was dragged) some are rewriting history on here.
Matthews came on and like the champion he was basically won Hawthorn the game.
Hardie kick chased ( as he did a year later and for his whole career)

Remi Moses
05-11-2013, 02:55 AM

Wasn't bad coaching. We weren't good enough in 85

Remi Moses
05-11-2013, 03:00 AM

How? The vendetta is getting tiresome

Twodogs
05-11-2013, 04:11 AM

I can see Gronna kicking a goal on the run from the boundary about 5 minutes into the last quarter to make the difference more than a goal. Then Hawthorn stepped it up but we were reeling them back in when the siren went.

Twodogs
05-11-2013, 04:12 AM

We'd beaten every other team in the comp.

bornadog
05-11-2013, 01:07 PM
We'd beaten every other team in the comp.

Including Hawthorn and Essendon. I still say were good enough, but it just didn't happen.

chef
05-11-2013, 01:10 PM
yes that was part of it.

Hard to blame Malthouse for Hardie just doing his own thing.

chef
05-11-2013, 01:12 PM

Yeah I don't think it was bad coaching, but I think we were good enough. Hardies effort in the last quarter was hugely costly.

Remi Moses
05-11-2013, 11:12 PM
We beat the Bombers at home early doors.
Big crowd and Hot Weather I recall
We played them at Windy hill later on and they were miles up at 3/4 time.
They took the foot off and won by 4 goals.
They were the best side in 85 by a fair distance and to suggest otherwise is poppycock

Twodogs
06-11-2013, 12:12 AM
We beat the Bombers at home early doors.
Big crowd and Hot Weather I recall
We played them at Windy hill later on and they were miles up at 3/4 time.
They took the foot off and won by 4 goals.
They were the best side in 85 by a fair distance and to suggest otherwise is poppycock

The year after I think we beat them at Windy Hill and they beat us at Western Oval. I know that Essendon won that '85 GF easily in the end but don't forget that Hawthorn were 4 goals up at 3/4 time. They were beatable that day.

Remi Moses
06-11-2013, 12:48 AM
The year after I think we beat them at Windy Hill and they beat us at Western Oval. I know that Essendon won that '85 GF easily in the end but don't forget that Hawthorn were 4 goals up at 3/4 time. They were beatable that day.

Pretty sure that was 84.

Twodogs
06-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Pretty sure that was 84.

Yeah, you're right. It was such a long time ago.

bornadog
06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Yeah, you're right. It was such a long time ago.

I remember Lallie Bamblett had his appendix out and played the next week at Windy Hill. We rocked up for the game and surprised he ran out. They won by 4 goals but were in front all day.

The Western Oval game we really smashed them (40 plus points )in front of 33,697 people. It was jam packed and must have been close to a record crowd.

always right
06-11-2013, 11:16 AM
I remember Lallie Bamblett had his appendix out and played the next week at Windy Hill. We rocked up for the game and surprised he ran out. They won by 4 goals but were in front all day.

The Western Oval game we really smashed them (40 plus points )in front of 33,697 people. It was jam packed and must have been close to a record crowd.

And the biggest surprise was Bamplett was one of our best that day.

strebla
07-11-2013, 12:16 PM
don't remind me I am still seething:D

How good was the clash between Dougie and Dipper

That was one of the toughest I have seen I loved that when the siren went Dipper searched him out before going to his team-mates. Sportsmanship is badly under-rated and was at the forefront that day even though on the field of battle neither gave an inch and were both marvelous.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-11-2013, 01:13 PM
That was one of the toughest I have seen I loved that when the siren went Dipper searched him out before going to his team-mates. Sportsmanship is badly under-rated and was at the forefront that day even though on the field of battle neither gave an inch and were both marvelous.

Dipper was a multi premiership player and a Brownlow medalist but he was Hawkins' bunny!

bornadog
07-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Dipper was a multi premiership player and a Brownlow medalist but he was Hawkins' bunny!

The Hawk is one of the most skilled players I have ever seen play for the RWB, or even any team.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-11-2013, 11:47 PM
The Hawk is one of the most skilled players I have ever seen play for the RWB, or even any team.

I agree absolutely. He was all skill, his skills were elite. Like Darren Jarman's goal kicking skills, like Chris Grant's marking and kicking skills, just elite. Hawk was also clever and fast of mind, ironically considering he has a spud for an intellect...

jeemak
07-11-2013, 11:52 PM
I agree absolutely. He was all skill, his skills were elite. Like Darren Jarman's goal kicking skills, like Chris Grant's marking and kicking skills, just elite. Hawk was also clever and fast of mind, ironically considering he has a spud for an intellect...

It's the David Beckham type of genius. Dull as a box of hammers off the field, but super quick and able to execute skill and decision making on it.

Hawkins would have been the type of player I would've idolised in the 80's. I still loved him when I started understanding footy in the early 90's.

I need to check out some footage of the 85 semi final.

Twodogs
08-11-2013, 12:12 AM

There's no facet of the game in which he didn't excel. He was a marvel.

Remi Moses
08-11-2013, 12:43 AM
It's the David Beckham type of genius. Dull as a box of hammers off the field, but super quick and able to execute skill and decision making on it.

Hawkins would have been the type of player I would've idolised in the 80's. I still loved him when I started understanding footy in the early 90's.

I need to check out some footage of the 85 semi final.

He was an incredible talent.
It all gets overlooked with his silly goofy Footy show antics.( as it did with Sam Newman)
Doug picking the ball up one handed and kicking beautifully both sides( in the mud and wind of the Western oval)
Back in the 80's and early 90's they kicked out to Doug who'd outmark his opponent and take a one hander( did it all the time)

BornInDroopSt'54
08-11-2013, 09:31 AM
It all gets overlooked with his silly goofy Footy show antics.( as it did with Sam Newman)
Doug picking the ball up one handed and kicking beautifully both sides( in the mud and wind of the Western oval)
Back in the 80's and early 90's they kicked out to Doug who'd outmark his opponent and take a one hander( did it all the time)

Doug started out skinny and didn't put on that much weight. Yet he could outbody players, including barrel chested Dipper, to take those one handers.

Murphy'sLore
08-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Wow, I'd always written him off as just another footy dill. Now I really wish I'd seen him play.

Twodogs
08-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Wow, I'd always written him off as just another footy dill. Now I really wish I'd seen him play.

He is the best player I have seen in the 30+ years that I have been watching the bulldogs. Other players were better marks/kicks/quicker over the ground but as a package Doug had them all beat. His footy smarts were second to none.

Bulldog4life
08-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Yes remember those days well. Kennedy to Hawkins after a point was kicked and 9 times out of ten Doug would outpoint his opponent. Sometimes two opponents.

bulldogtragic
08-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Mike Sheahan has said numerous times if he was doing a top 50 in the 80's Doug would have been number one a few years.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
08-11-2013, 03:31 PM
He is the best player I have seen in the 30+ years that I have been watching the bulldogs. Other players were better marks/kicks/quicker over the ground but as a package Doug had them all beat. His footy smarts were second to none.

Same same

bornadog
08-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Yes remember those days well. Kennedy to Hawkins after a point was kicked and 9 times out of ten Doug would outpoint his opponent. Sometimes two opponents.

Those days the wingmen would switch sides on the ground at the end of each quarter. Malthouse decided to keep Dougie on the outer at Western Oval ie the same wing for every quarter. And so the Doug Hawkins wing was born.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Those days the wingmen would switch sides on the ground at the end of each quarter. Malthouse decided to keep Dougie on the outer at Western Oval ie the same wing for every quarter. And so the Doug Hawkins wing was born.

He left his skin on that wing and some hair too I reckon. He slid into the fence pretty badly. He wore a helmet for about 5 minutes when he reurned form injury but threw it off pretty quick.

Twodogs
08-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Same same

If you stood all the bulldog players against a wall at lunchtime and took turns choosing sides Doug would be the first player picked.

1eyedog
09-11-2013, 12:19 AM

I haven't seen a better player than Doug at the Bulldogs over the course of their career but I haven't seen a Bulldog play a better season of football than KT did in 1980. Actually KT's year in 1980 was as good if not better than any other footballer I've seen.

jeemak
09-11-2013, 12:44 AM
If you stood all the bulldog players against a wall at lunchtime and took turns choosing sides Doug would be the first player picked.

I didn't see enough of Hawk at his peak, but from the players I did see I'd take Chris Grant any day of the week. He kicked over 550 goals having played about half his career in defence, and for mine is the most underrated player of the 90's.

With that in mind I struggle to fathom how good Hawk must have been, and how underrated he seemingly is by non-Bulldogs people.

Alas, the problem our players have post career in terms of recognition. If they had the benefit of premiership medals hanging around their necks it probably wouldn't matter to them much, even though they'd be immeasurably more revered outside our club as a result of it.

Twodogs
09-11-2013, 12:46 AM
I haven't seen a better player than Doug at the Bulldogs over the course of their career but I haven't seen a Bulldog play a better season of football than KT did in 1980. Actually KT's year in 1980 was as good if not better than any other footballer I've seen.

Agree strongly. I can remember having sweeps at school to pick how many marks he'd take and goals he'd kick.

chef
09-11-2013, 07:50 PM

I'd have him a just a smidge behind Chris.

ledge
09-11-2013, 08:25 PM
I would have Hawk in front of Chris, Chris had issues at times like the yips in front of goal, Doug had no issues except a knee which didn't make an iota if difference when he returned.

Twodogs
09-11-2013, 10:42 PM
I didn't see enough of Hawk at his peak, but from the players I did see I'd take Chris Grant any day of the week. He kicked over 550 goals having played about half his career in defence, and for mine is the most underrated player of the 90's.

With that in mind I struggle to fathom how good Hawk must have been, and how underrated he seemingly is by non-Bulldogs people.

Alas, the problem our players have post career in terms of recognition. If they had the benefit of premiership medals hanging around their necks it probably wouldn't matter to them much, even though they'd be immeasurably more revered outside our club as a result of it.

You should have seen Kelvin at his peak. In a career that was essentially over by the time he turned 24 he had kicked a ton and won the Brownlow. He was majestic in 1980.

jeemak
09-11-2013, 11:03 PM
You should have seen Kelvin at his peak. In a career that was essentially over by the time he turned 24 he had kicked a ton and won the Brownlow. He was majestic in 1980.

He's probably the only Bulldog that leaves my old man gobsmacked. He said he was just unreal (he really loved Ted as well, and thought he was pretty much the bees knees).

I imagine him as a Franklin type, but rather than relying on getting the ball loose and burning off an opponent he could really take a grab overhead whilst being equally smart positioning wise.

Remi Moses
09-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Gee still remember when KT did his knee.
It was a horrid Waverley night ( raining sideways ) in an Escort Cup game.
Getting done ,we left early( it was a school night).
Relative told me the next morning that KT did his knee, we were a mixture of being distraught and angry.

Twodogs
10-11-2013, 01:09 AM
Gee still remember when KT did his knee.
It was a horrid Waverley night ( raining sideways ) in an Escort Cup game.
Getting done ,we left early( it was a school night).
Relative told me the next morning that KT did his knee, we were a mixture of being distraught and angry.

Yeah I was there too. Most frustrating thing I've ever seen. IIRC He did his knee fairly close to the end of the game which made it all the more tragic but the again that might just be my brain playing tricks on me.

Twodogs
10-11-2013, 01:24 AM
He's probably the only Bulldog that leaves my old man gobsmacked. He said he was just unreal (he really loved Ted as well, and thought he was pretty much the bees knees).

I imagine him as a Franklin type, but rather than relying on getting the ball loose and burning off an opponent he could really take a grab overhead whilst being equally smart positioning wise.

Gobsmacked is the perfect word to describe the feeling you got watching him. If Lindsay had played a full career at anywhere near his exposed form*the there would be no argument about who the greatest player of all time is.

* and he had improved year after year to be the be the dominant player in the competition. Except 1979 but he played most of that year with a collapsed lung after he broke a rib and his other lung was pierced by the broken rib bone.

westdog54
10-11-2013, 10:21 AM

I could have my years mixed up here but I can vaguely recall Dougie taking a massive hanger in the pocket late in that same game. I was standing just around from the old scoreboard as you continue on to Dougie's wing. I was 7 at the time so I could be wrong here.

Gobsmacked is the perfect word to describe the feeling you got watching him. If Lindsay had played a full career at anywhere near his exposed form*the there would be no argument about who the greatest player of all time is.

* and he had improved year after year to be the be the dominant player in the competition. Except 1979 but he played most of that year with a collapsed lung after he broke a rib and his other lung was pierced by the broken rib bone.

You meant to say Kelvin, not Lindsay, didn't you?

Geez I hate being born in the 80s sometimes.

ledge
10-11-2013, 11:14 AM
I saw templetons first game as I did Grants and from that minute you knew they were stars, I am a couple of years younger than Doug but he was known as a star before he got to the dogs and was just a natural.Chris and Kelvin were both surprises and unexpected to me.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2013, 11:43 AM

Yes I remember that. Although I preferred standing between the 2 grandstands most games I stood in the Outer a number of times purely so I had a good look at Dougie.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-11-2013, 12:50 PM

Templeton was really skinny originally but really developed his frame massively. He was a towering pack mark, a great contested mark. I remember him hitting packs from behind and plucking it in a pack of arms and flying bodies from behind with superior judgement and strength. He was wacked and jostled, double teamed but still could pluck the mark and had a classic kicking technique with head over the ball and a powerful kicking action.

Twodogs
10-11-2013, 01:53 PM
You meant to say Kelvin, not Lindsay, didn't you?

Me and my mates that I went to the footy with (as distinct from the mates I went to school with) had a nickname for KT. We called him Lindsay because he looked a bit like a milk shop owner we knew called Lindsay.

I saw templetons first game as I did Grants and from that minute you knew they were stars, I am a couple of years younger than Doug but he was known as a star before he got to the dogs and was just a natural.Chris and Kelvin were both surprises and unexpected to me.

KT had already kicked 100 goals for Taralgon in the la Trobe Valley League the year before he came at the age of 16. The wraps on him were huge.

Chris was a bolt out of the blue though. At the Geelong rd end a skinny kid wearing #29 took a mark right on the 50 metre line where it meets the boundary line and took the shot. He goes back and slots it with his first kick in League footy. My old man said "who's this kid" and I didn't know. And I always knew who the new kids in the team were. Where they were from, what their mum's maiden name was but all I knew was what was in the footy record.

bornadog
10-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Chris was a bolt out of the blue though. At the Geelong rd end a skinny kid wearing #29 took a mark right on the 50 metre line where it meets the boundary line and took the shot. He goes back and slots it with his first kick in League footy. My old man said "who's this kid" and I didn't know. And I always knew who the new kids in the team were. Where they were from, what their mum's maiden name was but all I knew was what was in the footy record.

Chris and Leon Cameron both debuted in 1990 as 17 year olds and were both sensational.

Remi Moses
10-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Remember Tony Leonard on the Coodabeens saying to watch out for a skinny called Grant for the Dogs.

1eyedog
10-11-2013, 09:04 PM

He was everything you'd imagine a CHF would / should be. Tall, graceful, big pack marker, extra strong on the lead and a dead eye kick with a beautiful kicking action. No bulldog since has brought people to the footy like KT did in the late 70s and early 80s. We were crap through KTs time but he brought people to the ground. Any way I'd have Doug just a smidge in front of Granty but both behind Templeton.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Chris and Leon Cameron both debuted in 1990 as 17 year olds and were both sensational.

Yes. I saw Chris play in the last practice game at Skinner Reserve. He looked a beauty then. If I remember I think he only played the first game because our regular full forward was injured. Who that was and am I correct? Not 100%sure to be honest but I think so.

Twodogs
10-11-2013, 09:27 PM

From memory Leon debuted the week after Chris.

Twodogs
10-11-2013, 09:43 PM
And for good measure this:

Was Rohan Smith's first game. Funnily enough he wore #31 and had shoulder length hair. Plugger had a heap of shots at goal but missed nearly all of them. Would have been 1992.

strebla
12-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Yes. I saw Chris play in the last practice game at Skinner Reserve. He looked a beauty then. If I remember I think he only played the first game because our regular full forward was injured. Who that was and am I correct? Not 100%sure to be honest but I think so.

Adrian Cambell was our preffered full forward but was injured Phil O'Keefe was our second prefered and was also injured IIRC.What a stunning debut was it 5 goals ????.As for the arguement about first player picked I would go BJ first and Hawk second.

bornadog
12-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Adrian Cambell was our preffered full forward but was injured Phil O'Keefe was our second prefered and was also injured IIRC.What a stunning debut was it 5 goals ????.As for the arguement about first player picked I would go BJ first and Hawk second.

Nine marks, nine kicks, 2 goals 3 behinds

The following week we thrashed Sydney at the SCG and Chris took 10 marks and kicked 4 goals 5. This is all as a 17 year old :eek:

He was the youngest player to kick 50 plus goals in AFL history in a season.

always right
12-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Nine marks, nine kicks, 2 goals 3 behinds

The following week we thrashed Sydney at the SCG and Chris took 10 marks and kicked 4 goals 5. This is all as a 17 year old :eek:

He was the youngest player to kick 50 plus goals in AFL history in a season.

50 goals....fair effort considering he battled to kick 40 meters when he was younger....althouhg he always had a beautiful kicking action and it was just a matter of time until he built some power into his legs.

I remember when Chris came onto the scene. I remarked to my brother how good it was to think we would enjoy watching him for the best part of the next 12 years or so.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-11-2013, 01:12 PM
50 goals....fair effort considering he battled to kick 40 meters when he was younger....althouhg he always had a beautiful kicking action and it was just a matter of time until he built some power into his legs.

I remember when Chris came onto the scene. I remarked to my brother how good it was to think we would enjoy watching him for the best part of the next 12 years or so.

Chris nearly got us into a grand final in '97. In the last quarter close to goal he grabbed the ball and desperately threw it on his boot but it went wide. That moment sticks in my brain partly because he had a bit more time and didn't need to be so desparate. It would have been such poetic justice.
Instead we'll probably get into a grand final without poetry, just by being the better team on the day, contesting and executing better and with Chris Grant on the board using his heart and mind not his elite football skills.
And Dougie will be at the party after the premiership.

Bulldog Joe
12-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Chris nearly got us into a grand final in '97. In the last quarter close to goal he grabbed the ball and desperately threw it on his boot but it went wide. That moment sticks in my brain partly because he had a bit more time and didn't need to be so desparate. It would have been such poetic justice.
Instead we'll probably get into a grand final without poetry, just by being the better team on the day, contesting and executing better and with Chris Grant on the board using his heart and mind not his elite football skills.
And Dougie will be at the party after the premiership.

Unfortunately this sticks in my mind also.

Paul ****** Hudson wanted to be the hero and nearly knocked Granty over instead of shepherding and talking him through it.

always right
12-11-2013, 01:42 PM

Paul ****** Hudson wanted to be the hero and nearly knocked Granty over instead of shepherding and talking him through it.

Don't put yourself through this again. Plenty of what if's in that last quarter....not just this one. Sigh:(

bulldogtragic
12-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Don't put yourself through this again. Plenty of what if's in that last quarter....not just this one. Sigh:(
I blame Mark West. Argh. Sigh. Cry.

bornadog
12-11-2013, 02:02 PM

I blame Doug Hawkins for not being ten years younger :D

LostDoggy
12-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Which game was it the Jose's shoulder popped out inside about 3 minutes, when it popped the week before and everyone, including those that lived in foreign countries and had never watched the game, knew he shouldn't have played the following week?

chef
12-11-2013, 02:45 PM

I blame Modra's knee.

If it had held up Jarman wouldn't have been at FF.

Twodogs
12-11-2013, 04:03 PM

Good call. I can still see the surprised look on Chris Grant's face when he realised that Huddo was competing for the ball with him.

That surprised face is burned on my psyche.

Happy Days
12-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Good call. I can still see the surprised look on Chris Grant's face when he realised that Huddo was competing for the ball with him.

That surprised face is burned on my psyche.

My dad brings this up bi-weekly.

This is the game that psychologically broke him; he can't watch now unless he knows we've won.

Paul Hudson is the worst. When there was talk we were going to get Ben (the first time), I didn't want him because I though he was Paul's younger brother.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-11-2013, 04:22 PM
My dad brings this up bi-weekly.

This is the game that psychologically broke him; he can't watch now unless he knows we've won.

Paul Hudson is the worst. When there was talk we were going to get Ben (the first time), I didn't want him because I though he was Paul's younger brother.

OK you've done it now. I've never watched that last quarter since being there on the day.
I am going to watch it and put it to rest.

LostDoggy
12-11-2013, 04:33 PM
I will NEVER watch the 1997 preliminary final.

On a lighter note, Doug Hawkins was the reason my brother started barracking for the Bulldogs. Doug bought him a pie at an East West Club Bulldogs training session. :)

always right
12-11-2013, 04:56 PM
I watched it once in the hope enough time had passed. It hadn't.

Remi Moses
13-11-2013, 02:49 AM
Didn't help when Fox footy in its first incarnation decided to show a few lowlights !