PDA

View Full Version : Pity about Marngrook

Ghost Dog
17-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Too bad about Marngrook footy show. One of my fav's.

Martin Flanagan wrote a wonderful obituary below.

THE Marngrook Footy Show was for people who don't need the stimulus of constant sensational news breaks to maintain their interest in the game.
It had some great personalities, none better than former St Kilda player Gilbert McAdam. Gilbert's relationship with the English language is unique, his sentences starting where they should end, jumping to the start and then ending in the middle. But a generous spirit shone through every word. As I said in an earlier column, watching Gilbert was like seeing a man driving a tractor the wrong way up the Hume Highway waving to all the oncoming traffic.
The show had plenty of good-natured badinage but it also had people like triple premiership player Chris Johnson, who speak on footy with the sort of natural authority that makes you want to listen. The friendly atmosphere of the set which was underpinned by a healthy respect for the game and those who had made real achievements in it meant that guests on the Marngrook Footy Show often revealed sides of their character not evident in other footy media.
It was old-fashioned but in a good way. For all the light-hearted revelry, there was never an issue of taste on the Marngrook Footy Show. I never saw women belittled and it was one of the show's female presenters, Leila Gurruwiwi, who brought home to me what was most remarkable about the show. Leila, who comes originally from Arnhem Land, was so confident.
Advertisement
The Marngrook Footy Show was such a confident assertion of indigenous identity. At the same time, it effortlessly made the cross-over into mainstream culture. Anyone making generalisations about indigenous culture in this country that neglected to mention the Marngrook Footy Show would be missing something significant.
As for the ABC, I'm going to be one of many watching very closely to see how long it is before the national broadcaster comes up with a program that better serves both indigenous Australia and the cause of reconciliation.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cut-program-inspired-cultural-unity-20121116-29hra.html#ixzz2CQuGVfiH

bornadog
19-11-2012, 08:47 AM
disgraceful by the ABC axeing a great show.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Fantastic article by Martin Flanagan. Whoever was responsible for axing the show couldn't evaluate its worth. I am not certain what KPI's were not met but the KPI's must have not been able to value the show properly.
Bring back Marngrook Footy Show.

Dancin' Douggy
19-11-2012, 11:06 AM
please send an email to this address to ask them to reconsider their decision

audience.liaison@abc.net.au

Cyberdoggie
19-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Probably the only show on Australian television that features indigenous Australians in live entertainment tv. I can only think of a couple of news readers on SBS and ABC that indigenous, there may be some kids shows that i'm not aware of but any other show with indigenous peoples in it seems to be a drama or documentary.
Pretty poor really.

If you go to NZ it's quite different.

BulldogBelle
19-11-2012, 05:48 PM
I never saw women belittled and it was one of the show's female presenters, Leila Gurruwiwi, who brought home to me what was most remarkable about the show. Leila, who comes originally from Arnhem Land, was so confident.

Compare that to the Channel 9 footy show

LostDoggy
20-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Always watched Marngrook, as I gave up on the other ones ages ago! It's a darn shame they have axed it. I might email them too!

Remi Moses
20-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Terrible decision. Really enjoyed the lightheartedness of the show.
Enjoyed seeing some the indigenous players come out of their shell on the show.
Crap decision Aunty!!

Murphy'sLore
20-11-2012, 06:54 PM
I've sent them an email, thanks for the link DD. Don't know if it'll make any difference but at least they'll know we care!

BornInDroopSt'54
21-11-2012, 01:29 PM
please send an email to this address to ask them to reconsider their decision

audience.liaison@abc.net.au

I sent:
"Fantastic article by Martin Flanagan. Whoever was responsible for axing the show couldn't evaluate its worth. I am not certain what KPI's were not met but the KPI's must have not been able to value the show properly. It was the only AFL footy show that was charming and natural, a wonderfull expression of both football appreciation and aboriginality shining in the community, a jewell in a quarry.
Bring back Marngrook Footy Show."

Thanks DD.

Murphy'sLore
23-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Got a reply to my protest email today. No joy, unsurprisingly, but at least they acknowledged it:

Thank you for your email. The ABC appreciates you taking the time to write in regard to our decision not to renew The Marngrook Footy Show for 2013.

Marngrook has a long history, commencing on community radio in the 1990s and then moving to community television and NITV, the national Indigenous television channel. The program moved to ABC2 in 2011 and this year we broadcast 28 episodes on Thursday evenings.

I can assure you that the decision to stop production of the program after two seasons was not taken lightly. The ABC takes a number of factors into consideration when producing or acquiring programs - whether the program is distinctive, the level of audience engagement and interest in the program, and the costs involved in producing or acquiring the program.

Regrettably, despite the show's distinctiveness, there was limited audience interest in The Marngrook Footy Show and in spite of moving the timeslot of the show from 7:30pm to 8:30pm in 2012, the program was unable to find a sustainable audience. Considering the high production costs for the program, ABC2's finite resources, and the fact that across pay and free-to-air television there are 18 footy shows in total, the ABC had to make the decision that our audience is better served by us investing elsewhere in other programs.

Nonetheless, the ABC acknowledges that the program had a core of devoted followers who watched the program each week and we regret your disappointment with this decision. I will ensure that your comments are noted and made available to ABC Television management for their information.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Yours sincerely,

Kevin McAlinden
ABC Audience and Consumer Affairs

Dancin' Douggy
23-11-2012, 04:41 PM
got the same exact message

Ghost Dog
23-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Marngrook has been very poorly supported with advertising.
They have had some great talent in over the years.
Paul Vanderhar, Bernie Quinlan, Andrew Demetriou, Eddy Mac
But they hardly ever promote that they are coming on the show..

gohardorgohome
23-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Marngrook provided such positive role models for indigenous people. The show brought people together regardless of race based on the common passion for footy.

When so much government money spent meaninglessly I find it abhorrent that such a good news story as Marngrook be axed.

Gilly, Grant, Leila, Shelly and Ronnie were such good value and I hope they get more work in the media.

Rocco Jones
24-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Thing about Matngrook Footy Show is the amount of people who loved what it's all about far exceeded the amount of people who actually watched it.

Ghost Dog
24-11-2012, 07:13 PM
When was the last time you saw an actual ad for Marngrook, pushing any of the AFL heavyweights that regularly come on the show?

Most of the greats I have seen on there were when I tuned in quite by accident.
Just need to figure out a way to make it shorter, cut production costs and advertise it.

LostDoggy
01-12-2012, 07:02 PM
If the ABC is saying that it costs too much to have the show in a TV format then switch it to a combined Website / Facebook Page / Twitter Page with weekly video interviews with the AFL Indigenous stars of today and yesterday

Ghost Dog
01-12-2012, 11:44 PM
If the ABC is saying that it costs too much to have the show in a TV format then switch it to a combined Website / Facebook Page / Twitter Page with weekly video interviews with the AFL Indigenous stars of today and yesterday

Good suggestion West Dog. They've thrown it into the too hard basket. Surely they could even just make it a short segment of some kind.

KT31
22-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Marngrook Footy Show host Grant Hansen is apparently running for our board.
Article in the Hun but cannot find a link.
Would be the first Aboriginal board member at any club, Western Suburbs upbringing, Doggies lifelong supporter, played in our under 19's for a couple of years and with his previous work with the club IMO would be a great asset to the board.

Bulldog4life
22-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Marngrook Footy Show host Grant Hansen is apparently running for our board.
Article in the Hun but cannot find a link.
Would be the first Aboriginal board member at any club, Western Suburbs upbringing, Doggies lifelong supporter, played in our under 19's for a couple of years and with his previous work with the club IMO would be a great asset to the board.

Good luck to Grant in his bid although he is not the candidate recommended by the Board unfortunately. First met him as a 15 year old growing up in St.Albans and he has always been a super keen doggie supporter. Would make a terrific Director for our Club.

Remi Moses
22-11-2013, 07:50 PM
No thanks .
Wanted McCartney hung drawn and quartered during the year.

Bulldog4life
22-11-2013, 08:15 PM
No thanks .
Wanted McCartney hung drawn and quartered during the year.

Didn't know that. Link?

Remi Moses
22-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Didn't know that. Link?

He was on about it all year.
Late on he realised the coach was doing a pretty reasonable job .
Taking pot shots often.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Pity about Grant Hansen.
I thought there was a bit of vacancy there behind the shine in his eyes.

bornadog
23-11-2013, 04:05 PM
He was on about it all year.
Late on he realised the coach was doing a pretty reasonable job .
Taking pot shots often.

I wouldn't hold that against him. No one likes to see the team get thrashed by 10 goals a week for 10 weeks.

I think he is a nice bloke with passion for the club and it would be good to get an indigenous person on the board.

Ghost Dog
23-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Bring back Marngrook!

Greystache
23-11-2013, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't hold that against him. No one likes to see the team get thrashed by 10 goals a week for 10 weeks.

I think he is a nice bloke with passion for the club and it would be good to get an indigenous person on the board.

No one likes to, but short sighted people throw tantrums and demand sackings, that's not the sort of person who should be running a club or a business of any kind. Immature ranters belong in the media (or on Internet forums).

Remi Moses
23-11-2013, 06:56 PM
No one likes to, but short sighted people throw tantrums and demand sackings, that's not the sort of person who should be running a club or a business of any kind. Immature ranters belong in the media (or on Internet forums).

Beat me to it.

Dancin' Douggy
24-11-2013, 12:19 AM
Hmmmmmmmm...............

Grant Hanson once told me we need to get rid of softc%#@cks like Brad Johnson and Rohan Smith and start drafting REAL players like Aaron James....... yes he said that.

Also. I severely doubt he ever played under 19's for Footscray, I was pretty close to the FDFL and the U19's at the time. I'm 99.9% sure this is complete bullshit / delusion / fantasy. (Surely someone on WOOF can actually check if this claim is true or not.)

I will say this, however. I love the Marngrook footy show and I think Grant does a great job as host of the show. Keep up the good work Grant, and leave it at that.

bornadog
24-11-2013, 12:21 AM

If he threw tantrums and demanded sackings I agree, however, I didn't watch the programme at the time so I don't know if he went that far. Did you see him do that?

Remi Moses
24-11-2013, 03:25 AM
Hmmmmmmmm...............

Grant Hanson once told me we need to get rid of softc%#@cks like Brad Johnson and Rohan Smith and start drafting REAL players like Aaron James....... yes he said that.

Also. I severely doubt he ever played under 19's for Footscray, I was pretty close to the FDFL and the U19's at the time. I'm 99.9% sure this is complete bullshit / delusion / fantasy. (Surely someone on WOOF can actually check if this claim is true or not.)

I will say this, however. I love the Marngrook footy show and I think Grant does a great job as host of the show. Keep up the good work Grant, and leave it at that.
I like the show also , in particular the panel .
Gilbert's very funny and Ronnie Burns is enjoyable. The girls are great as well

1eyedog
25-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm disgraced by the axing of the Marngrook Footy Show as it is the only footy show I watch all week. It was a rare example of Bridging the Gap between Aboriginal Australia and mainstream Australia and what better way to Bridge the Gap than through football? Bridging the Gap is a State Government initiative and the show should be an extension of that being funded indirectly by the Government. In this, I call on the Government to allocate funding to this cause to facilitate actioning the Bridging the Gap initiatave which assists in fazing out Adam Goodes'- type fiascos at our sporting grounds.

bornadog
25-11-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm disgraced by the axing of the Marngrook Footy Show as it is the only footy show I watch all week. It was a rare example of Bridging the Gap between Aboriginal Australia and mainstream Australia and what better way to Bridge the Gap than through football? Bridging the Gap is a State Government initiative and the show should be an extension of that being funded indirectly by the Government. In this, I call on the Government to allocate funding to this cause to facilitate actioning the Bridging the Gap initiatave which assists in fazing out Adam Goodes'- type fiascos at our sporting grounds.

I thought it was axed from ABC2 and rerturned to the National Indigenous station, so still on air.

Ghost Dog
25-11-2013, 04:04 PM
I think I've said it before, but Marngrook is the only footy show in the history of footy shows, to treat women with equality and respect.
I think Sam Lane does alright on before the game, but it's more of a comedy show than anything else.

The've had some very very good interviews on Marngrook in the past. Hudson, Qinlan, Van Der Har. Some of these people are quite shy and reluctant to go on something like the footy show or similar. I liked the way they were just allowed to tell their story.

azabob
25-11-2013, 04:16 PM
I think I've said it before, but Marngrook is the only footy show in the history of footy shows, to treat women with equality and respect.
I think Sam Lane does alright on before the game, but it's more of a comedy show than anything else.

The've had some very very good interviews on Marngrook in the past. Hudson, Qinlan, Van Der Har. Some of these people are quite shy and reluctant to go on something like the footy show or similar. I liked the way they were just allowed to tell their story.

You do realise that Sam Lane has not bee on before the game for one year, possibly two years?

bornadog
25-11-2013, 04:20 PM

and Leila Gurruwiwi is a Doggies supporter.

josie
25-11-2013, 11:31 PM
I totally agree with all the threads re Margrook treating women with respect. Gave up watching the Footy Show year & years ago because it is so blokey & I think has a bit of a cruel humour streak. Marngrook is gentle humour and they bring out the best in current & past players by respecting them and being genuinely nice folk. Plus it's only an hr long.

Not sure Hansen is best candidate for board at present, however what's important is there is a democratic vote that will decide. He is a great host on Marngrook though.

1eyedog
25-11-2013, 11:44 PM
I thought it was axed from ABC2 and rerturned to the National Indigenous station, so still on air.

I thought the ABC should have continued to support it.

Raw Toast
28-11-2013, 10:01 PM
I thought the ABC should have continued to support it.

The ABC should have continued to support it - budget is much, much less at NITV and stops them doing certain things, but it's still the best footy show on TV. I was in the crowd earlier this year, a fantastic experience.

Daughter of the West
30-10-2019, 02:29 PM
And it's gone!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/marngrook-footy-show-gets-the-axe-after-12-years-on-tv-and-radio-20191030-p535oj.html

Hopefully it gets another life elsewhere, I'd be really sad to see it go.

Dancin' Douggy
30-10-2019, 02:47 PM
utter stupidity.

Murphy'sLore
30-10-2019, 03:44 PM
Oh this is a shame. They have been flicked around from pillar to post and keep bouncing back, surely this won't be the end of the road.

SquirrelGrip
30-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Surely there’s a space on Fox Footy for it.

Rocket Science
30-10-2019, 11:50 PM
This is a bit shit, and truly what the footy media landscape needs; less diversity.

They clearly should've courted more douchey, middle-aged ex-players fond of pocket-pissing and mindless clichés.

If the AFEL were anything but the hollow, self-serving grifters they've shown themselves to be, here's a creative opportunity to do something genuine and forward-thinking for indigenous voices in the game. An opportunity to lead while supporting a platform that in turn supports their product. Not that they'd get it right, naturally.

I hope Marngrook prevails in some fashion.

jeemak
31-10-2019, 12:19 AM
This is a bit shit, and truly what the footy media landscape needs; less diversity.

They clearly should've courted more douchey, middle-aged ex-players fond of pocket-pissing and mindless clichés.

If the AFEL were anything but the hollow, self-serving grifters they've shown themselves to be, here's a creative opportunity to do something genuine and forward-thinking for indigenous voices in the game. An opportunity to lead while supporting a platform that in turn supports their product. Not that they'd get it right, naturally.

The economics of TV are difficult to navigate, and you only have to look at the tripe that prevails on FTA TV to understand the type of consumer that still goes in for it.

To your point regarding the AFL, it would be a great outcome if they were to support the show on an alternative platform to FTA if it isn't picked up by another network or ultimately Fox etc. Even as a podcast the show would provide a great alternative to other options.

ledge
31-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Gilbert was on SEN recently and I get the feeling the show will be back on another channel.

BornInDroopSt'54
31-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Marngrook, its marngrook.
Bring back marngrook for its authenticity and lack of cheap hype that the other shows have.

hujsh
31-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Not appealing enough to the vital 'Tradies who need soap' demographic

mjp
31-10-2019, 07:09 PM
I haven’t been tuning in much for the last 12-18 months...it felt like it had lost ‘something’...anyone else feel the same?

I know that’s not very helpful or constructive, but I used to always watch but lately...

Twodogs
31-10-2019, 07:57 PM
I haven’t been tuning in much for the last 12-18 months...it felt like it had lost ‘something’...anyone else feel the same?

I know that’s not very helpful or constructive, but I used to always watch but lately...

Yep, same.

Axe Man
11-03-2020, 02:30 PM
Axed Marngrook Footy Show finds new home (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/axed-marngrook-footy-show-finds-new-home/news-story/9438201d43d9410e25ec0be9da05a43b)

The trailblazing Marngrook Footy Show has been picked up by a new station after being axed last year, with the show’s creator revealing his thoughts on the show’s NITV replacement.

The Marngrook Footy Show, axed by NITV last year, is returning to the small screen on Channel 31.

Marngrook creator and host, Grant Hansen, and co-host Leila Guruwiwi, will be back on air next Wednesday, with panellists including Phil Krakouer, Doug Hawkins, Kevin Bartlett, Shaun Burgoyne, Warwick Capper, Abbey Holmes, Kaitlyn Ashmore and Alicia Newman.

“I’ve been working frantically since NITV dropped the bomb on me last year,” Hansen told Confidential.

“We’ll operating on a low, low, low budget, but I’m doing everything to survive and keep the show on air. Like a phoenix rising up from the ashes, they haven’t killed us off. We will rebuild and bring it back to its former glory.”

This month, NITV announced two indigenous football shows, Yokayi and The Colour Of Your Jumper, which will feature former Marngrook co-hosts Gilbert McAdam and Shelley Ware, respectively.

“I’m really disappointed in NITV,” Hansen said. “We had no idea our show was going to be scotched. They left us high and dry, basically.

“The two new shows are basically spin-offs of the Marngrook Footy Show, but as they say, the original is always the best.”

Hansen hopes sponsors get on board Marngrook “so this other mob don’t pitch our ideas and live off our backs. They’re already promoting it as the new shows taking over from Marngrook. Like f--- they are!”

To date, Marngrook has shot 299 episodes over 13 seasons, with two Logies nominations for best sports program in its resume.

bornadog
11-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Not sure I can watch channel 31? Does Foxtel broadcast it?

Axe Man
11-03-2020, 02:42 PM

Don't think so, why wouldn't you be able to get it though normal FTA TV?

bornadog
11-03-2020, 02:59 PM
Don't think so, why wouldn't you be able to get it though normal FTA TV?

I will have to check how my aerial/cable is hooked up in our building ( I am in an apartment)

Bulldog4life
11-03-2020, 04:43 PM

While C31 isn't available as a channel on Foxtel, if you're able to bypass your Foxtel connection and receive regular digital channels through your television, you shouldn't have any problems receiving a signal from C31.

https://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/channel-31-c31