PDA

View Full Version : Coodabeen Bulldog Champions

Bulldog Revolution
19-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Some of DRs recent threads got me thinking about those players who perhaps never fully for a variety of reasons never quite reached the levels you though they would.

They don't have to be the ones you thought would be superstars and can include the ones you just thought were going to be good players.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I thought Les Bamblett was going to be an out and out star.

always right
19-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Les Bamblett - Excitement machine when he was scouting around Simon Beasley's feet. We'd never had anyone like him before and haven't since.

Shane Loveless - Huge man, great kick for goal, but lazy as they come with a massive ego

Richard Murrie - Lovely left footed key defender. Never quite made it and finished playing
with Richmond by memory.

Stuart Wigney - Had it all....size, pace, overhead marking....but a heart like a pea.

Steve Kolynuik - Some may be surprised at him being listed as he had a great career at the dogs and was one of my favorites. Certainly featured in perhaps our greatest ever individual goal. Anyone who witnessed his early games however would agree that he looked like being a superstar....and never quite made it.

Sean Higgins - Still has time on his side but has not become the player we all thought he would be when he first came to us. Not all of it his own fault.

Mofra
19-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Adrian Campbell before he did his knee looked like he had all sorts of potential.

Daniel Hargreaves could/should have done alot better - reasons shall go unmentioned.

LostDoggy
19-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Adrian Campbell before he did his knee looked like he had all sorts of potential.

Daniel Hargreaves could/should have done alot better - reasons shall go unmentioned.

Yep, had him figured as a potential superstar.

KT31
19-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Yep, had him figured as a potential superstar.

Allegedly tried to live the life of one.

Doggy
19-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Ron James......RIP

Remi Moses
19-11-2012, 02:17 PM

Same here. Someone I worked with knew him and just described him as an idiot( niceas possible)also said he was a super cricketer

Maddog37
19-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Can I include one C Ward?

Josh Hill sticks out in my mind.

Remi Moses
19-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Alistar Ford:(

KT31
19-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Mark West.

Axe Man
19-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Michael Frost - I remember as a kid watching him play in a semi against St Kilda in 1992 and thought he had some tricks. Played 1 more season for us, then 1 season at St Kilda and that was it.

John Georgiades - 8 goals on debut, hailed as our next goal kicking star. Unfortunately could only manage another 19 goals in 14 games over the next 3 seasons.

always right
19-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Michael Frost - I remember as a kid watching him play in a semi against St Kilda in 1992 and thought he had some tricks. Played 1 more season for us, then 1 season at St Kilda and that was it.

John Georgiades - 8 goals on debut, hailed as our next goal kicking star. Unfortunately could only manage another 19 goals in 14 games over the next 3 seasons.

Saw Georgiades in his second game and he struggled to get a kick. One shot at goal on the run landed on the goal line on the full and bounced back into play. Just goes to show that a week is a long time in footy.

bulldogsfight
19-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Brad hardie
Fred Cook
Alan Jennings

Danial Hargraeves , remember hom winning games for us v Carlton and at Geelong

BornInDroopSt'54
19-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Neil Sachse was looking great. Shocking personal tragedy but a big tragedy for the club also.

lemmon
19-11-2012, 03:13 PM
I thought Nathan Brown would go down as one of our very best, fate and circumstance had other ideas I guess.

We may very well be seeing another in Cooney as well

Ghost Dog
19-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Won a brownlow! That's a champ, not a coodabeen

KT31
19-11-2012, 03:39 PM
I thought Nathan Brown would go down as one of our very best, fate and circumstance had other ideas I guess.

More like arrogance and greed.

We may very well be seeing another in Cooney as well

Already there, Cooney would not have to play another game for the club to be rated a champion.

Greystache
19-11-2012, 03:44 PM
I thought Mark West was going to be something special, not consistent necessarily but the type who'll tear a game up on the big stage. He never really got a chance.

Nigel Kellet went from being a player I wanted to see get the ball as much as possible in his early games to a player I didn't want to see get a game in his later career.

always right
19-11-2012, 04:02 PM
I thought Mark West was going to be something special, not consistent necessarily but the type who'll tear a game up on the big stage. He never really got a chance.

Nigel Kellet went from being a player I wanted to see get the ball as much as possible in his early games to a player I didn't want to see get a game in his later career.

There was a bloke who thought he was so much quicker than he actually was. I used to hate the way he would try and outrun everyone, handablling the footy out in front of himself as his forwards were screaming for the ball upfield. It rarely ended well. Shame because early on he was a hard running wingman who ran at the ball in a straight line....it wasn't how he ended.

Bulldog Revolution
19-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Some great posts and names brought to the fore

I'll comment on three now and others later

Great nomination from always right for Wigney - the fact that four separate league clubs listed him over his career was testament to his talent, but he certainly never put it together for us

I think you are more than a tad harsh on Kolyniuk though

Greystache if there was one guy I thought I'd hear about when I thought of the thread it was MWest - 16 of the most promising games every played

Mofra yes Adrian Campbell looked capable of anything at one stage, glided across the ground, superb skills on either side, seemingly able to play tall and small

lemmon
19-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Won a brownlow! That's a champ, not a coodabeen

I guess I see it more as how good he could have been fully fit for a sustained period. At the end of his career I think he may be remembered as a great career unfulfilled, with a year or two that showed how high his ceiling was.

always right
19-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I think you are more than a tad harsh on Kolyniuk though

I think it says more about how impressive his first games were for us. He certainly had a very good career with us but it could have been a great career. Early on his pace was a standout...I reckon he got too bulky as the years progressed.

Fair to say however that he gave me some of my best memories...he had a pretty good highlights package.

LostDoggy
19-11-2012, 05:36 PM
I think it says more about how impressive his first games were for us. He certainly had a very good career with us but it could have been a great career. Early on his pace was a standout...I reckon he got too bulky as the years progressed.

Fair to say however that he gave me some of my best memories...he had a pretty good highlights package.

Especially running around Graham Wright at the MCG in 1990 to kick the goal that sealed the win against Collingwood. :D

BulldogBelle
19-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Shane Ellen

Imagine if he did for us what he did for the Crows in the Grand Final - Mr September

always right
19-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Especially running around Graham Wright at the MCG in 1990 to kick the goal that sealed the win against Collingwood. :D

My favourite memory:D...and a surprisingly great call from Bwuce..."Will he try and get around Wright...I thought he might"

FrediKanoute
19-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Kolyniuk Was a gun junior who stepped up to play good football for the dogs. From memory he managed around 150 games. Injuries held him back from playing more. He had talent to burn as a small forward part time on baller, but he was cruelled by persistent nagging injuries, the type these days which would be properly diagnosed/sorted. Player management/welfare has come a long, long way since his playing days.

Hotdog60
19-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Terry Love, seemed to go ready well in the reserves.

GVGjr
19-11-2012, 09:40 PM
I was convinced at Hugh Reimers was going to be the FB or CHB we were crying out for.
Injuries were a problem for him.

I also thought that Keenan Reynolds was going to be a good forward for us. Big mistake going to North.

gohardorgohome
19-11-2012, 10:07 PM
I would have loved to see more of Mark West...... The guy was a human wrecking ball...... I don't think his body could handle it...... I think he had dodgy shoulders.

I can't think of too many small forwards who could be as electric as Les Bamblett.

azabob
19-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Patrick Bowden for me. He seemed to have it all except for the work ethic.

Also James Cook, if only.....

LostDoggy
19-11-2012, 10:59 PM

I remember being in the rooms when Beasley retired. He mentioned in his speech that he retired knowing the club would be in good hands with Campbell at the club. I think he kicked 5 or 6 goals that day and remember telling all my mates that he was the next Dunstall.

W W Biscuit
19-11-2012, 11:00 PM
I was convinced at Hugh Reimers was going to be the FB or CHB we were crying out for.
Injuries were a problem for him.

I also thought that Keenan Reynolds was going to be a good forward for us. Big mistake going to North.

Beat me to it, GVGjr. I was a big Reynolds fan. I still think that he played one of the very best individual games of footy for us that I have ever seen. It was vs Fitzroy at Princes Park - a low profile game, so it has been lost in history. But he pretty much won us the game on his own. The whole team played very poorly, save for Reynolds who marked everything in sight and launched attack after attack. On the tram home, all Doggy supporters were abuzz with his performance. Does anyone remember this game? I'm sure that I didn't dream it.

GVGjr
19-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Beat me to it, GVGjr. I was a big Reynolds fan. I still think that he played one of the very best individual games of footy for us that I have ever seen. It was vs Fitzroy at Princes Park - a low profile game, so it has been lost in history. But he pretty much won us the game on his own. The whole team played very poorly, save for Reynolds who marked everything in sight and launched attack after attack. On the tram home, all Doggy supporters were abuzz with his performance. Does anyone remember this game? I'm sure that I didn't dream it.

Remember it well. I also remember his effort against Stuart Loewe in a final out of Waverly.

Bulldog Revolution
19-11-2012, 11:08 PM

I understand you know, it was still a fine career, but you were hoping for a superstar

Was he too offensive, and it took him a while to do more of the defensive things that were increasingly expected of him?

Kolyniuk Was a gun junior who stepped up to play good football for the dogs. From memory he managed around 150 games. Injuries held him back from playing more. He had talent to burn as a small forward part time on baller, but he was cruelled by persistent nagging injuries, the type these days which would be properly diagnosed/sorted. Player management/welfare has come a long, long way since his playing days.

Sounds a bit like Billy had OP when little was known about it

Overall I thought he had an excellent career, and maybe he didn't hit he highs of his flashy beginnings, but will be remember as a fine bulldog player.

Bulldog Revolution
19-11-2012, 11:17 PM

I dont remember that game, but am I right in thinking Keenans last game was after the Billy Brownless goal final loss to the Cats?

If it was Keenan played a cracker that night?

The move might have made him money but he never fired a shot after leaving us. The talent packed team and list that Alan Joyce inherited was starting to not perform.

always right
20-11-2012, 12:15 AM
I dont remember that game, but am I right in thinking Keenans last game was after the Billy Brownless goal final loss to the Cats?

If it was Keenan played a cracker that night?

The move might have made him money but he never fired a shot after leaving us. The talent packed team and list that Alan Joyce inherited was starting to not perform.

I know that it was Crofty who was on Brownless when he took the mark just before the final siren. He only took the mark because Crofty slipped over. Heartbreaking loss that one.

Alan Joyce was perhaps the worst coach to have a premiership.

Doc26
20-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Was devastated when we moved Michael McKenna on to Richmond in the mid 80s. Still kind if hurts.

ReLoad
20-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I had huge tickets, pumped up the tyres of but was ultimately let down by;
Tim Walsh - was going to be the next turtle.
Murray Rance
Jamie grant (His brother turned out ok though)
John Georgiades (was one of the best days of my footy life at Princess Park)

bulldogsfight
20-11-2012, 12:03 PM
jOhn Ballantyne .....too good at reserves level but

Sedat
20-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Both terrific nominations. Campbell's career was ruined by a sickening knee injury in the reserves after he went to Melbourne from memory. He played a cracking game against Norf at the MCG in 1988, when we came back from 5 goals down in the last qtr to win it in the wet.

After Campbell's false dawn as a key forward, we then flirted with Jon Ballantyne and Ben Sexton, both of whom played the occasional breakout game up forward but never came on in that position for us. It feels like we've been having false dawns at full-forward ever since Beaser retired, with Loaf and Cookey in the late 90's, and Kingsley Hunter, Trent Bartlett and Nathan Saunders in the early 00's, and pretty much nobody except for Hall ever since.

Twodogs
20-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Terry Love, seemed to go ready well in the reserves.

I played cricket against him when I was a kid. I remember his handful of games really well because I sort of knew him. The thing that really stands out in my mind is taking stick from opposition supporters for yeling "Come on Love" whenever he went near the ball.

Also James Cook, if only.....

He could keep away from pies?

Remember it well. I also remember his effort against Stuart Loewe in a final out of Waverly.

Kicked 6 in a game against North at Whiytten Oval too.

Was devastated when we moved Michael McKenna on to Richmond in the mid 80s. Still kind if hurts.

I saw him get his jaw broken at the SCG in the '80s. His opponent picked his unconscious body up and tackled him and the umpire payed a free kick against him for dropping the ball! Me bitter much about it? Not really.:rolleyes:

BornInDroopSt'54
21-11-2012, 01:10 PM
He could keep away from pies?
And not get reported or at least plead guilty when he did.

I saw him get his jaw broken at the SCG in the '80s. His opponent picked his unconscious body up and tackled him and the umpire payed a free kick against him for dropping the ball! Me bitter much about it? Not really.:rolleyes:

Oh Humanity!
Shades of Wallace's jaw being assaulted by Grinter at WO. The idiot behind me clapped and yelled "Beauty, stretcher". I could not not defend the injustice and turned around and upward, grabbed his shirt under his neck and twisted and said "you want to be taken out". Luckily he was a pissed coward and his big friend didn't want to defend him and no further damage was done but the outrage was too much for me.:mad:

Bulldog Revolution
22-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Shane Ellen

Imagine if he did for us what he did for the Crows in the Grand Final - Mr September

Shane Ellen was a smart recruit by the Crows - I think they just offered him a better deal when he was out of contract

jOhn Ballantyne .....too good at reserves level but

Was it that he just wasn't agile/quick enough? Good long straight kick

I loved that guy when I was a kid, and watched some old tapes, he was seriously hard at it, and ran in very straight lines

Why did we trade him? Seems like he'd be a guy that Malthouse would have really appreciated

strebla
22-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Iceman I can't recall his real name went to norf and I was shattered Wigney was a big one for me too Micheal (bucky) Shepparbottam when he kicked 13 in the magoos he had the world at his feet.

WB4Life
22-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Taking a different tact Nathan Brown and Callan Ward, could had been all time club greats, but $ got in the way... Ward Definatly hurt the most that kid had Capt written all over him!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Michael Martin looked to have a big future, but from memory injury curtailed his early promise. I think he went to the Lions briefly following finishing with us but was never able to recapture his early promise.

Maddog37
22-11-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=130

Twodogs
22-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Iceman I can't recall his real name went to north.

Greg Eppelstun?

Michael (bucky) Shepparbottam when he kicked 13 in the magoos he had the world at his feet.

He was only 15 or 16 when he did that I think.

KT31
22-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Greg Eppelstun?

Surely not Autumn Leaves Eppelstun ?;)

strebla
22-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Greg Eppelstun?

Thats him TD thanks mate I just could not think of it foe the life of me

Bulldog Revolution
22-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Michael Martin looked to have a big future, but from memory injury curtailed his early promise. I think he went to the Lions briefly following finishing with us but was never able to recapture his early promise.

Took a long time to debut, played 50 games and built some good form on a half forward flank with us and then we traded him, perhaps for attitude issues.

If I remember correctly we traded him to the Lions (maybe for Bartlett and a pick), that we then on-traded to Sydney for Garlick, who traded it back to the Lions for Craig Bolton - the Lions then selected Simon Black. I could be wrong about this recollection

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Took a long time to debut, played 50 games and built some good form on a half forward flank with us and then we traded him, perhaps for attitude issues.

If I remember correctly we traded him to the Lions (maybe for Bartlett and a pick), that we then on-traded to Sydney for Garlick, who traded it back to the Lions for Craig Bolton - the Lions then selected Simon Black. I could be wrong about this recollection

Oh okay, I thought he broke his ankle and had complications that put him back in the pecking order, but memory might be playing tricks on me.