PDA

View Full Version : Your Bulldog Cult Favourite

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Along a similar lines to the recent threads on Bulldog champs and faves.
This one is for those Bulldogd players who were not stars and indeed may've had serious flaws in their game, but for whom you always had a soft spot for.

For me as a kid a couple who stood out for me as guys who were not the most blessed for skills but I always wanted to see do well were:

Robert Groenewegen - slow and not the most agile, but for some reason I used to cheer for him when he had the ball.

Rod Macpherson- Both him and his brother were favourites for me, and I still remember as a little kid, Rod poleaxing Keith Greig at Waverley one day. This old North supporter was giving Rod hell next to me for it, calling him all sorts of names and it made me cheer even louder whenever he got the ball that day.

always right
19-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Glen Coleman. Loved the way opposition players would peel off him when he had the ball, waiting for him to dispose of it. He probably covered more distance with ball in hand than Griffen does today. He was a fair mark too.

Latter day cult hero.....Big Will. Love the man.

LostDoggy
19-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Danny Southern (c) - and the cult has, if anything, gained since retirement.

craigsahibee
19-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Jimmy Plunkett.

I remember going in to the Bulldog shop one day and old Ces was telling me that jimmy's Mum came in and bought all of the Jimmy Plunkett Fridge Magnets to give to relatives and friends.

Jimmy could play, just couldn't get a look in with the likes of Westy and the Wog Squad ahead of him. When he moved to Carlton I seriously hoped he would make it.

LostDoggy
19-11-2012, 09:45 PM

This.

Despite his deficiencies as an afl player, he always gave his all. One of the hardest players to play for the dogs. My all time fav player.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Jimmy Plunkett.

I remember going in to the Bulldog shop one day and old Ces was telling me that jimmy's Mum came in and bought all of the Jimmy Plunkett Fridge Magnets to give to relatives and friends.

Jimmy could play, just couldn't get a look in with the likes of Westy and the Wog Squad ahead of him. When he moved to Carlton I seriously hoped he would make it.

Nice one. This is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. From memory Jimmy only played a handful of games, but even these guys for whatever reason, garner support amongst fans.
As an aside, I think I remember reading somewhere that Jimmy was the avagoodweekend kid from the Aerogard ad with Maxie Walker.

LostDoggy
19-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Steve Wallis

Doc26
20-11-2012, 12:07 AM
The Iceman from Won Wron is kind of cult worthy.

SonofScray
20-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Trent Bartlett, without a doubt. "The Ugg Boot."

Just a battler, but a guy who gave us his best which was sometimes good and always entertaining.

bornadog
20-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Super McPherson - had some mongrel in him. Never forget when the Swans Runner was mouthing off at him as he ran on the ground and Steve just turned around and punched him out.

G-Mo77
20-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Mark West was a real favorite of mine. It was brief but loved the way he played.

stefoid
20-11-2012, 10:21 AM
My footy jumper which *almost* doesnt fit me any more has Simon Atkins number on it.

EasternWest
20-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Trent Bartlett, without a doubt. "The Ugg Boot."

Just a battler, but a guy who gave us his best which was sometimes good and always entertaining.

What a perfect description.

DOG GOD
20-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Darren Baxter was the first player I donned their number...#35 just loved watching him play even though he wasn't the greatest :)

Happy Days
20-11-2012, 11:54 AM
I was mental for Farren Ray, even have a signed number 1 guernsey in the wardrobe;

Best wishes, all the best, Farren Ray

Mantis
20-11-2012, 12:30 PM
This.

Despite his deficiencies as an afl player, he always gave his all. One of the hardest players to play for the dogs. My all time fav player.

I don't think he had too many deficiencies ability wise, but his body just didn't allow him to fulfil his potential.

I remember early doors when he played on a wing against Buckley and had it over him both physically and with his footy nous.

F'scary
20-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Libba Snr.

Twodogs
20-11-2012, 01:23 PM
As an aside, I think I remember reading somewhere that Jimmy was the avagoodweekend kid from the Aerogard ad with Maxie Walker.

The Max Walker connection is an urban myth. Jimmy was in a TV ad for a company called 'Heugell and Hoile' but he wasnt the "AvagoodweekendMrWalker" Aerogard kid. He was also in a telemovie with Gary Sweet called Boy Soldiers.

Super McPherson - had some mongrel in him. Never forget when the Swans Runner was mouthing off at him as he ran on the ground and Steve just turned around and punched him out.

That was Jim Edmond wasnt it? Pretty sure it was our runner he hit too. Unless it's a different incident you are thinking about but I can remember Jock breaking our runners jaw during a game versus Sydney.

I don't think he had too many deficiencies ability wise, but his body just didn't allow him to fulfil his potential.

I remember early doors when he played on a wing against Buckley and had it over him both physically and with his footy nous.

Quite right. Daniel was a very good player who's knees couldnt stand up to the game.

My favorite cult hero of all time was Les Bamblett. That year he had in 1985 was incredible. He was podgy and slow but he had an uncanny knack of knowing what oppsosition defenders were going to do next and intercepting the ball before waltzing into open goals!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
20-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Groena, Fishman, Iceman, Rocket, Streeta, TB, DB and Zeno

always right
20-11-2012, 04:59 PM
My favorite cult hero of all time was Les Bamblett. That year he had in 1985 was incredible. He was podgy and slow but he had an uncanny knack of knowing what oppsosition defenders were going to do next and intercepting the ball before waltzing into open goals!

Slow? His pace of the mark was a major feature of his game......mind you he was buggered after 20 meters. Certainly was podgy though.

F'scary
20-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Libba Snr.

that is to say, not Libba Snr the young Brownlow medal winner champ. I am referring to the Libba Snr of the Year of the Dogs documentary. Football meet philosopher.

Ghost Dog
20-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Peter Gordon
thought that even before he became prez. Now just confirms my belief.
Rallied to raise funds and it was a staggering amount in a very short time in hindsight, that stopped us from going the way of Fitzroy.

Eastdog
20-11-2012, 05:35 PM
I really appreciate everything David Smorgon has done for our club coming in when we were in trouble and for the next 16 years making our club into a sustainable one for the rest of the competition to appreciate. Smorgon has been the only president I've known since I started supporting the Dogs in 2001 and I'm sure Peter Gordon will have the same passion and commitment to our club as Ghost Dog mentioned. We need to have success very soon to attract new fans and the kids because that is the only way you get them.

The Doctor
20-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Zeno Tzatzaris and Danny Delre

SURELY there are no greater cult heroes???

Danny the snakeman
21-11-2012, 01:17 AM

This.

And one of the nicest blokes you could meet.

Danny the snakeman
21-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Shane loveless tho i think he was the only one who thought he was a cult figure.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Shane loveless tho i think he was the only one who thought he was a cult figure.

He was so exciting for a couple of games, kicking a seven goal bag like he owned the footy. The story is he spent the night watching the replay.

Garry Merrington had Hollywood written all over him.

Mofra
21-11-2012, 05:19 PM

Zeno - used to eat a concoction of garlic & yoghurt before the game. I wouldn't want him to be my opponent with that ritual.

Delre was brilliant

SonofScray
21-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Zeno is the ultimate.

Wizard of Schnoz comes close.

For obscure reasons, in true cult hero fashion, from the supplementary list Zonomir Suto, who I thought would destroy the AFL.

Maddog37
21-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Zeph Skinner is a shoe in for this type of thread down the track.

1eyedog
21-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Oh I still love Barry Standfield very much.

EasternWest
21-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Zeph Skinner is a shoe in for this type of thread down the track.

Didn't someone get a Zeph t shirt made?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-11-2012, 10:15 PM

Good ole Zeno, got his autograph at Waverley post game, when I ran on the ground I think in 84.

The Underdog
21-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Didn't someone get a Zeph t shirt made?

What about The Beard? Not Ben Hudson, just The Beard.

The Underdog
21-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I'll say Pat Veszpremi, for my completely unproveable & unjustifiable belief that he's a decent footballer.

Ghost Dog
21-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I'll say Pat Veszpremi, for my completely unproveable & unjustifiable belief that he's a decent footballer.

I have the opposite irrational view, equally unproveable. I'll keep this in mind with respect when we butt heads during the coming season!

LostDoggy
22-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Greg Eppelstun. Not the best, not the worst, did his job. Got a lot of stick from the outer ( bit of a whipping boy for some supporters), probably why he was a mini cult figure to me.

SonofScray
22-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Greg Eppelstun. Not the best, not the worst, did his job. Got a lot of stick from the outer ( bit of a whipping boy for some supporters), probably why he was a mini cult figure to me.

That is a great choice. He would be one of the players from my earliest memories of going to games that I always seem to think of when these topics come up.

F'scary
22-11-2012, 02:05 PM

Season 2013 hopes that you are correct.

Twodogs
22-11-2012, 02:57 PM

He was so exciting for a couple of games, kicking a seven goal bag like he owned the footy. The story is he spent the night watching the replay.

Pinhead had a good month or so in 1980. He kicked 8 in round 12 V Fitzroy (Lawrie Serafini) , then 7 in round 13 V South (Rod Carter) , just the 2 V Melbourne in round 14 and 1 V North in round 15, missed round 16 and finished his blitz with another 8 V Hawthorn(Kelvin Moore) in round 17. Those fullbacks I've bracketed were pretty good players, they all played for Victoria.

WBFC4FFC
22-11-2012, 06:21 PM
A Daniel Southern fan. Tough, uncompromising and super-skillful (on both sides of the body). A great footy brain as well.

Hounourable mentions to Matthew Croft and Steve Kretiuk. (As you can tell, I was a defender in my playing career at school and the Amateurs).

LostDoggy
22-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Stephen Koops anyone? I thought he started well for us. Only good memories.

GVGjr
22-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Peter Quill. I actually liked him as a footballer.

boydogs
23-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Can't wait for the Rocco Jones Jake Stringer appreciation thread :D

jeemak
23-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Peter Quill. I actually liked him as a footballer.

I did too. He was so honest, average and middle rung that you couldn't help but do so.

Southern was a favourite when I was a kid. I tried to play defense like he did, and more than once I came unstuck trying to emulate the massive front on bump he laid on Alex Ischenko in 1994.