22-11-2012, 08:19 PM
No real surprise but welcome to the Kennel to Jake Stringer

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/1_U18VCSA12MW%20260.jpg

Greystache
22-11-2012, 08:24 PM
191cm
94kg
25/4/94

Like Menzel, the Bendigo hard nut is difficult to place due to injury concerns after he badly broke his left leg in the first round of the 2011 TAC Cup competition. He worked tirelessly to make his return to footy this early this year, but his running gait still appears to be affected. Kicking is one of Stringer's strengths - he booted nine goals in his first game back for the Pioneers and managed a perfect score in the goalkicking test at the combine. He also finished equal first in the clean hands test.

anfo27
22-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Rapt to get Jake to the club. Welcome aboard son & look forward in seeing him develop into a monster.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Where do we see him playing both early on and further down the track?

GVGjr
22-11-2012, 09:35 PM

I think as a forward pocket or HFF and I think that is his genuine positions.

Ozza
22-11-2012, 09:40 PM
1st in the clean hands test and good goal kicking is good to read.

comrade
22-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Third tall type with stints in the midfield if his tank develops.

G-Mo77
22-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Third tall type with stints in the midfield if his tank develops.

The third tall type is what I see, or thought i should say, Grant would fill. Could this selection be the end of Grant?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-11-2012, 09:43 PM
1st in the clean hands test and good goal kicking is good to read.

And boy with our poor goalkicking up forward with Jones, Cordy, Roughy (yes I know he's touted as our FB/Ruck), and Grant it's definitely something we needed to address.

Remi Moses
22-11-2012, 09:45 PM
The kids a beast. Taken a chance obviously but hopefully a good one.

comrade
22-11-2012, 09:54 PM
The third tall type is what I see, or thought i should say, Grant would fill. Could this selection be the end of Grant?

I was hopeful Grant would be the one to lead from the goal square with his pace and good hands. Not to be.

He needs to now be played as a crumbing flanker / pocket.

Stringer should take some pressure off Grant.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Hard not to love Stringer, especially after seeing that interview. Speaks really well - extremely confident.

I think supporters have found another love child.

Mofra
22-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Yup - his injury may actually help him long term, teaching him how to deal with adversity. By reputation, worked hard and was faultless in his rehab.

bulldogsman
22-11-2012, 10:06 PM

I expect him to spend a lot of time up forward (FP, HFF) early on, maybe down back also. Hopefully in the midfield down the track. I think he has big potential there, his clearance work in particular is outstanding.

soupman
22-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Great size, and will surely play a few games next year. Could part of the reason we overlooked guys like Membrey, who could play that third tall forward role, be that we see Stringer as the player who is going to fill this role?

Certainly with his size he is going to be an interesting matchup, and I can imagine him being a big physical presence in the centre square much like Hahn was early.

Bulldog Revolution
22-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Hard not to love Stringer, especially after seeing that interview. Speaks really well - extremely confident.

I think supporters have found another love child.

Is there a link to it for those who missed it?

Welcome Jake - hope you tear it up in the tri-colours

Is Stringers best case scenario that he turns into a Mitch Robinson type, whose a stronger mark when forward?

soupman
22-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Is there a link to it for those who missed it?

Welcome Jake - hope you tear it up in the tri-colours

Is Stringers best case scenario that he turns into a Mitch Robinson type, whose a stronger mark when forward?

For pick 5 I hope best case is significantly better than Mitch Robinson.

BulldogBelle
22-11-2012, 10:21 PM

I thought the same as well. I'm thinking Jake will play much like Jack Darling at West Coast. Big bullocking fwd though not big enough to play as a genuine KPP.

Bulldog Revolution
22-11-2012, 10:24 PM
For pick 5 I hope best case is significantly better than Mitch Robinson.

I rate Robinson pretty highly so I wasn't saying that as a put down

But its Robinsons physical impact and attack on the footy and man that I was thinking

soupman
22-11-2012, 10:24 PM

I still think Grant has very unique attributes and doesn't take a spot as a key forward, but rather a small forward who has tall attributes.

dog town
22-11-2012, 10:36 PM
23 tackles in his 3 vfl games.

boydogs
23-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Great size, and will surely play a few games next year. Could part of the reason we overlooked guys like Membrey, who could play that third tall forward role, be that we see Stringer as the player who is going to fill this role?

I think we just went best available in the first round.

Certainly with his size he is going to be an interesting matchup, and I can imagine him being a big physical presence in the centre square much like Hahn was early.

I thought the same as well. I'm thinking Jake will play much like Jack Darling at West Coast. Big bullocking fwd though not big enough to play as a genuine KPP.

I'm seeing the next Matthew Pavlich :D
Pavlich is 192cm 100kg, Stringer is 191cm 94kg, he will easily get to Pav's height and weight when he has fully matured. Both great contested marks, great kicks for goal, capable of playing midfield.

Get excited people! So glad our recuitment team took the uncomfortable option. The power forward we've always wanted before his 30th birthday :D

KT31
23-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Glad to have Stringer aboard and how comfortable was he with the interview.
Seems to have his head screwed on right and will be a great asset.

lemmon
23-11-2012, 02:11 AM
The kid is huge already, cant wait to see him after three years in the system

jeemak
23-11-2012, 02:28 AM

The only thing that will be the end of Grant will be Grant himself.

Stringer coming on board takes pressure off the likes of Grant if anything. If Grant takes a step forward he and Stringer will be depressingly hard to match up as defenders when you've also got Jones and Cordy to think about if they come along. Not many teams have enough defenders who have the versatility to cover that mix when it's running well.

Bulldog Revolution
23-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Video of his interview up on the afl website - presents well

WB4Life
23-11-2012, 09:06 AM
I think we just went best available in the first round.

I'm seeing the next Matthew Pavlich :D
Pavlich is 192cm 100kg, Stringer is 191cm 94kg, he will easily get to Pav's height and weight when he has fully matured. Both great contested marks, great kicks for goal, capable of playing midfield.

Get excited people! So glad our recuitment team took the uncomfortable option. The power forward we've always wanted before his 30th birthday :D

Love the optimist way of thinking compared to the negative responses on here.

Welcome Jake, can't wait to see what you have to offer in the red, white and blue.

Happy Days
23-11-2012, 11:56 AM
He is now my favourite player, looked like he could have eaten any other of the top 10 picks if he felt like it.

Mofra
23-11-2012, 12:31 PM
23 tackles in his 3 vfl games.
B-Mac will hate that...

LostDoggy
23-11-2012, 03:02 PM

I like to think, the wake-up call. Still think we can be optimistic with Grant. He's still on the list, still has potential, the only thing holding him back is his mentality.

He is now my favourite player, looked like he could have eaten any other of the top 10 picks if he felt like it.

I dunno, Daniher is a big unit…

w3design
24-11-2012, 12:02 PM
He seems the most likely out of the top 5 to "make it".

Whitfield, O'Rourke, Plowman are great juniors. Toumpas played senior footy but is a little soft and has no defensive skills. Stringer is by all reports a competitive beast, is much bigger than the others and has played against men. All while being a great junior like the others.

Ghost Dog
24-11-2012, 01:35 PM
In the long run, the leg break may be a hurdle that matured him. Setbacks can do that.
From all reports the break was high enough and he is young enough that it's going to be ok.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-10-2016, 05:25 PM
For anyone in the area, Jake Stringer will be at the new Liquor Market in Ringwood tomorrow from 11am-12pm.

59 Marrondah Hwy

hlnbidoffer
14-10-2016, 05:27 PM
For anyone in the area, Jake Stringer will be at the new Liquor Market in Ringwood tomorrow from 11am-12pm.

59 Marrondah Hwy

God when I saw this thread re-opened I was worried that there was a rumour that Jake is going to be traded!

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 05:28 PM
God when I saw this thread re-opened I was worried that there was a rumour that Jake is going to be traded!

Ditto, I shit myself!

KT31
14-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Phew, me too.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Don't do that!

Scraggers
25-04-2023, 05:01 PM
So at what point does Stringer become more a Bomber than he is was Bulldog? I know that probably happened the day he was traded but, the stats (right now) state otherwise.
Bulldogs - 89 games (5 seasons) - 160 goals - 2016 Premiership player
Bombers - 87 games (11 seasons) - 150 goals - lost the 2021 Elimination final

He’s a player that I love to hate, but there’s no denying he still has the ability to change a game.

D Mitchell
25-04-2023, 05:34 PM
So at what point does Stringer become more a Bomber than he is was Bulldog? I know that probably happened the day he was traded but, the stats (right now) state otherwise.

He?s a player that I love to hate, but there?s no denying he still has the ability to change a game.

Stringer didn't want to leave. Had he been allowed to stay, who knows, a bit of Bont, Libber and/or Jack Macrae might have rubbed off on him. That impossible first goal in the last quarter, as important as Boyd's 10 minutes later and Picken's sealer. 2 blokes who should have been Club legends, up there with Peter Box, John Schultz, Gary Dempsey, Scott Wynd, Tony Liberatore, are Cooney and Stringer. Both ended up at Essendon, shadows of what they were and could have been.

GVGjr
25-04-2023, 06:40 PM
Stringer didn't want to leave. Had he been allowed to stay, who knows, a bit of Bont, Libber and/or Jack Macrae might have rubbed off on him. That impossible first goal in the last quarter, as important as Boyd's 10 minutes later and Picken's sealer. 2 blokes who should have been Club legends, up there with Peter Box, John Schultz, Gary Dempsey, Scott Wynd, Tony Liberatore, are Cooney and Stringer. Both ended up at Essendon, shadows of what they were and could have been.

In reality he had to leave as he was a huge part of our disastrous 2017 campaign. Mind you that was poorly managed by the coaches who essentially had a gap year in 2017.

D Mitchell
25-04-2023, 07:10 PM
In reality he had to leave as he was a huge part of our disastrous 2017 campaign. Mind you that was poorly managed by the coaches who essentially had a gap year in 2017.

Post October, 2016. In the euphoria, you may recall Matthew Lloyd predicting a Hawthorn-esque post 2016 dynasty and a period of dominance. Retrospectively that was over optimistic, we'd come from 7th when the stars all aligned. I defer to, but don't criticise, those in control and in the know. Whatever knee doctors and internal-agitation experts said, at their very best, Cooney and Stringer would have changed the fortunes of the Club.

ledge
25-04-2023, 07:56 PM
Jake living up to his 10 min a game putting in. I can’t believe how the media drool over him still.
I would love to see his opponents stats each game.

GVGjr
25-04-2023, 08:11 PM
Post October, 2016. In the euphoria, you may recall Matthew Lloyd predicting a Hawthorn-esque post 2016 dynasty and a period of dominance. Retrospectively that was over optimistic, we'd come from 7th when the stars all aligned. I defer to, but don't criticise, those in control and in the know. Whatever knee doctors and internal-agitation experts said, at their very best, Cooney and Stringer would have changed the fortunes of the Club.

In 2015 we played against Adelaide in a MCG final when the game should have been at Marvel plus we had a leaked game plan. We were awesome that season but missed a chance. In 2016 we were far better than being the 7th placed team and just dropped some critical games late in the season. There was absolutely no reason why we bombed so badly in 2017 other than we let a number of players waltz around and do bugger all and that's on the players and coaches for allowing it. Players were being bullied and racially abused and we didn't want to address it preferring to wait until the end of the season to march Stringer out and then the following year with Dahlhaus and some others. We had the list to be top 4 in 2017 and 18.

Grantysghost
25-04-2023, 08:16 PM
I still find it amusing however I think Libba set the tone with his Vietnamese capers.

D Mitchell
25-04-2023, 08:30 PM
I still find it amusing however I think Libba set the tone with his Vietnamese capers.

Vietnamese, ? Libber and his mates were entitled to a bit of fun.

MrMahatma
25-04-2023, 08:32 PM

He’s a player that I love to hate, but there’s no denying he still has the ability to change a game.

He’s more Bomber. His story is of unrealised talent. He’ll be remembered as a Don.

GVGjr
25-04-2023, 09:06 PM
He’s more Bomber. His story is of unrealised talent. He’ll be remembered as a Don.

At the end of his career he will have played a lot more games with the Bombers than us so that might sway his but given he won a flag with us he might get the best of both worlds by attending reunions with our players.

Dry Rot
25-04-2023, 09:44 PM

Libba's Hanoi Swans would have beaten the Sydney Swans last weekend.

Bulldog4life
26-04-2023, 02:10 AM

But he will be back for the 10 year premiership anniversary in 2026. Always a Bullgod.

ledge
26-04-2023, 10:43 AM

I can guarantee he will be known as a bulldog premiership player more than a don . As the media love to roll with “ premiership player” more than Essendon player who achieved nothing.
In the last ten years every time an ex player is on they are described as premiership player or some thing they achieved.
You don’t hear of Alister Lynch ex Fitzroy or Jeremy Cameron ex giant . They are known as brisbane or Geelong premiership player.

SonofScray
27-04-2023, 06:40 PM

It will remain a disappointment for me that he couldn’t pull his head in enough to survive a turbulent moment in the relationship. He might never be the player we all hoped he would be, and the character flaws were a worry, but ideally Jake would have been EJ to Bont’s Charlie in a dominant era.

Not to be.

Don’t hate the bloke, don’t wish him well either by virtue of being at Essendon, who I hate and will never stray from wishing that club the absolute worst.

Grantysghost
27-04-2023, 06:48 PM
It will remain a disappointment for me that he couldn?t pull his head in enough to survive a turbulent moment in the relationship. He might never be the player we all hoped he would be, and the character flaws were a worry, but ideally Jake would have been EJ to Bont?s Charlie in a dominant era.

Not to be.

Don?t hate the bloke, don?t wish him well either by virtue of being at Essendon, who I hate and will never stray from wishing that club the absolute worst.

I was in Cairns and in the pool with his auntie.

You know how I knew.

She told me 30 times.

Anyway.... He wanted to leave according to her.

This was 2018.

But now he wants to stay for some reason I can't remember.

Was like a player had come or a coach had left I can't remember I was enjoying the Peppers pool

Thing is.... He always thought he was better than he was.

AshMac
28-04-2023, 07:04 AM
Thing is.... He always thought he was better than he was.

In 2015 his ego and reality were aligned. Since then miles apart