PDA

View Full Version : Psd

Pages : [1] 2

chef
25-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Do we have 1 or 2 picks?

And what is the draft order?

And and have we got anyone training with us?

And and and who do we want?

dogman
25-11-2012, 11:04 AM
2 picks but might upgrade Austin if we can't get the right person.

Want at least 1 tall forward.

No one is training with us.

Order same as draft but not sure if Gold Coast and Melbourne are using their pick so might get pick 2. GWS will take Tippett.

Bulldog4life
25-11-2012, 11:58 AM
I wonder if we will consider Dylan Roberton ex- Fremantle. Training with St.Kilda at the moment. A bit of a dasher in the backline. Fremantle offered him a contract but he wanted to come back to Victoria. Tallish defender at 191cm. Only 21 years of age. Or maybe Josh Toy is on our radar too.

LostDoggy
26-11-2012, 05:56 PM
GWS will take Tippett.

Would love to see this happen, hilarious :D

Last word I heard around WOOF was we were after Prismall in the PSD :rolleyes:

dogman
26-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Not sure if it will be Prismall. Essendon are keen to keep him as a rookie.

But are only looking at mature aged players around the 22 to 24 age group, so don't think Garlett will be an option.

Sedat
26-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Not sure if it will be Prismall. Essendon are keen to keep him as a rookie.
He's just been given permission to train with Port. No doubt he's still on our radar but interesting that Port are now keen.

Pickenitup
26-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Pretty sure we have One pick Maybe Bate dont think we are keen On Prismall anymore.

jazzadogs
26-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Perhaps the selection of Hrovat, who Macca has singled out as most likely to play senior footy next year, has taken the position/role that we would have offered Prismall?

If we upgrade a rookie I would prefer Jong over Austin, but won't be upset if we promote Austin. I think that with Roughead, Talia, Roberts, Markovic, Morris (possibly), Williams (if required) we have enough tall/medium tall defenders ready to go. Not saying that we are low on midfielders like Jong, but I would be happy to see him on the senior list IF we are willing to upgrade someone.

G-Mo77
27-11-2012, 02:02 AM
I've read Redpath's name used a bit during some of the interviews post draft. Could he be a chance for a senior spot?

Did we lose interest in Josh Toy or just give up during trade week?

azabob
27-11-2012, 06:38 AM
I've read Redpath's name used a bit during some of the interviews post draft. Could he be a chance for a senior spot?

Did we lose interest in Josh Toy or just give up during trade week?

If he is promoted it would continue the baffling rookie upgrades of previous seasons.

ledge
27-11-2012, 07:21 AM
If he is promoted it would continue the baffling rookie upgrades of previous seasons.

A whole different coaching panel is now in place, keep that in mind, why do people keep going back to the previous groups errors and think that it's going to be same old?

From what I see so far from this football department has been awesome in recruiting, the head space and talent the new players are in has been unbelievable, remember last years draft and the players bought in all of them seem to have something and that was this panels first go at it.
If Redpath is upgraded he must have some serious upside, just for the record I have met the kid and it wouldn't surprise me.

bornadog
27-11-2012, 07:41 AM
A whole different coaching panel is now in place, keep that in mind, why do people keep going back to the previous groups errors and think that it's going to be same old?

From what I see so far from this football department has been awesome in recruiting, the head space and talent the new players are in has been unbelievable, remember last years draft and the players bought in all of them seem to have something and that was this panels first go at it.
If Redpath is upgraded he must have some serious upside, just for the record I have met the kid and it wouldn't surprise me.

What new panel? The coach is the only new panel, recruiting staff are the same.

GVGjr
27-11-2012, 07:49 AM
What new panel? The coach is the only new panel, recruiting staff are the same.

Throw in the list manager as well.

azabob
27-11-2012, 07:56 AM

Ledge, firstly I am a massive fan of Dalyrimple and his coaching team, and have been since day one. He has been unfairly judged on this board.

Back to Redpath what has he done to deserve an upgrade?

F'scary
27-11-2012, 01:34 PM
... If we upgrade a rookie I would prefer Jong over Austin, but won't be upset if we promote Austin. I think that with Roughead, Talia, Roberts, Markovic, Morris (possibly), Williams (if required) we have enough tall/medium tall defenders ready to go. Not saying that we are low on midfielders like Jong, but I would be happy to see him on the senior list IF we are willing to upgrade someone.

I am 100% in agreement with you. Austin can be kept for a long-term injury rookie promotion if that happens to one of our taller defender warriors. Jong looked as if he will press for a senior battle position in 2013.

G-Mo77
27-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Back to Redpath what has he done to deserve an upgrade?

From what I've seen he hasn't deserved it. Quotes from the club are indicating that he could be part of our forward structure next year which could mean a promotion to the senior list. I could be adding 2 + 2 together and getting 5 though.

mighty_west
27-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Perhaps they just want to give Redpath regular games in the Willy ones in the forward line paying along side Stringer and co, with Panos and Hill gone, he should be given ample opportunities to take the next step, placing the ball firmly in his court.

If he does continue to develop and take that next step, a future forward line of Redpath and Stringer could scare the bejesus out of a few defenders.

Ghost Dog
27-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Most of what I saw of Redpath last year was in the wet. Not great games to judge a player of his type.
Parked in the goal square, granted, nobody is going to shift him.
But forwards at other clubs are so damn mobile these days. Who was it, the Saints? used to train as though a tackle in the f50 was as good as a goal? We need more pace in our fwd line.

Mofra
27-11-2012, 05:17 PM
He just said "if he is promoted" ie it would be an error to promote Redpath.

I agree - promoting Redpath would be a massive error - he hasn't shown much and he is lucky to have been re-rookied.

If you disagree, why do you think he should be promoted?

G-Mo77
27-11-2012, 05:22 PM
If you disagree, why do you think he should be promoted?

My only argument would be that he's a big forward and we've lost 2 forwards who were on the main list from last season. That's all I can come up with.

I'm in the camp of leaving him on the rookie list FWIW. I'd promote Jong or take the 2 picks in the PSD.

Bulldog Revolution
27-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Are we still able to upgrade rookies? or has the lodgement date passed for upgrading rookies?

anfo27
27-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Heard somewhere that Garlett has been given permission to train with the bombers. I hope he ends up anywhere but there.

LostDoggy
28-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Heard somewhere that Garlett has been given permission to train with the bombers. I hope he ends up anywhere but there.

Correct !! Anywhere but please!!

comrade
28-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Just heard that Prismall has been offered a 2 year deal at Port. Please be true :D

The Underdog
28-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Just heard that Prismall has been offered a 2 year deal at Port. Please be true :D

Anyone up for a celebratory drink? Or do we wait for Bate to sign elsewhere?

azabob
28-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Anyone up for a celebratory drink? Or do we wait for Bate to sign elsewhere?

Don't pop that champagne cork yet, we may still offer him a 2 year deal and we have a pick before the power.

KT31
28-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Don't pop that champagne cork yet, we may still offer him a 2 year deal and we have a pick before the power.

I thought our original offer was two years.

The Underdog
28-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Pretty sure as a delisted player he can sign wherever he wants before the PSD. More opportunity at Port you'd think.

azabob
28-11-2012, 02:01 PM
I thought our original offer was two years.

I wasn't aware we had offered anything offically.

azabob
28-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Pretty sure as a delisted player he can sign wherever he wants before the PSD. More opportunity at Port you'd think.

Ah ok, hopefully that is correct.

The Underdog
28-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Ah ok, hopefully that is correct.

On the back of that news is the news that Bate & Nick Lower are training with the club. Also Brett Goodes.

G-Mo77
28-11-2012, 02:59 PM
On the back of that news is the news that Bate & Nick Lower are training with the club. Also Brett Goodes.

And Ben Duscher from Bendigo

Remi Moses
28-11-2012, 03:06 PM
What anout a few of the Frankston boys?
Possibly Jack Frost ?

Bulldog4life
28-11-2012, 03:40 PM
And Ben Duscher from Bendigo

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/nick-lower-could-join-the-western-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1226525754207

More on players training with us. Looks like Lower looks a good chance to be picked up by us.

jazzadogs
28-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Anyone with a quick description of Duscher? And how old is Goodes?

whythelongface
28-11-2012, 04:02 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/nick-lower-could-join-the-western-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1226525754207

More on players training with us. Looks like Lower looks a good chance to be picked up by us.

I have heard of Lower but can't recall seeing him play for Fremantle. Where does he play and what is he like? Assuming he can't be too good if he has been delisted by Freo.

LostDoggy
28-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Apparently a hard running defender, had a few injuries.Had to get a start in the Freo back line with quality players like Zac Dawson there.In all seriousness though would prefer Lower over Bate.

Mofra
28-11-2012, 04:31 PM
End of 2011 Lower had 37 touches vs Collingwood IIRC.

Of course, he can win his own ball. Not sure how he goes rebounding from defence but it would be nice to have a decent rebounder.

Mantis
28-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Of course, he can win his own ball. Not sure how he goes rebounding from defence but it would be nice to have a decent rebounder.

Especially if we hold true on our word that Murf will play forward.

Our rebounders from defence will be... Well I'm not sure??

EasternWest
28-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I have heard of Lower but can't recall seeing him play for Fremantle. Where does he play and what is he like? Assuming he can't be too good if he has been delisted by Freo.

Is he the guy that kicked four on us one time? Left footer? He got bagged a bit on this forum, but he certainly looked ok that game.

Axe Man
28-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Is he the guy that kicked four on us one time? Left footer? He got bagged a bit on this forum, but he certainly looked ok that game.

Nope. Not sure who you are thinking of but Lower has never kicked more than 1 goal in a match.

Nick Lower Stats (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/N/Nick_Lower.html)

Maddog37
28-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Was it Van Berlo maybe?

jazzadogs
28-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Wasn't there an Ed Lower that played for North and towelled up Gilbee one game?

Go_Dogs
28-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Nick and Ed Lower, twins and both Norwood boys.

I'd be quite keen to look at Nick. Was a solid contributor in 2011 and didn't have much luck getting onto the park this year. Could fill a few roles for us.

Pedro Sanchez
28-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Was it Van Berlo maybe?

Yeah it was Van Berlo - the lesser brother in terms of footy skills.

Nick Lower is a hard at it inside mid who likes a scrap. Bit of a poor man’s Josh Carr. When fit he’s very handy – not quick though but has a presence around the packs as he cracks right in and has decent hands to dish it off.

Some Freo fans over here really rate him when fit, however does seem to get injured a bit.

Wouldn’t be the worst pick up – would add to our midfield depth somewhat and as Macca loves, can win his own ball.

Maddog37
28-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Lower is 25 so that fits and I would rather him than Bate.

I am quite interested in Jake Calvert for some reason.....anyone got any thoughts on him?

Bulldog4life
28-11-2012, 05:47 PM
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/15503021/dumped-docker-has-run-with-dogs/

Apparently Fremantle still wants Lower.

EasternWest
28-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Nope. Not sure who you are thinking of but Lower has never kicked more than 1 goal in a match.

Nick Lower Stats (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/N/Nick_Lower.html)

I would have taken your word for it.

I wonder who I'm thinking of then?

EDIT: Must be Van Berlo.

G-Mo77
28-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Would rather take Lower than Bate. It seems were going to get one of them.

Oh and it definitely was Van-Berlo who kicked 4 goals against us, I remember that game likes it's yesterday.

LostDoggy
28-11-2012, 08:35 PM
I really hope we take Lower. Bate not so much.

After losing Gilbee, Shaggy and Lake we need a couple experienced backmen. Hope we pick him up and show Freo what a stupid mistake they made.

Pedro Sanchez
28-11-2012, 08:39 PM

After losing Gilbee, Shaggy and Lake we need a couple experienced backmen. Hope we pick him up and show Freo what a stupid mistake they made.

Just to clarify, Lower is not a backman. He's a nuggety little midfielder.

LostDoggy
28-11-2012, 08:42 PM

Well I look the fool haha.

I must be thinking of someone else. :rolleyes:

azabob
28-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Well he is a fairly tall nuggety midfileder at 189cm and 88kg.

He played half back at port and inside mid at Freo according to his Fremantle bio.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/players/playerprofile/nicklower/tabid/8469/playerid/22289/category/senior/season/2012/selected/bio/default.aspx

LostDoggy
28-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Well he is a fairly tall nuggety midfileder at 189cm and 88kg.

He played half back at port and inside mid at Freo according to his Fremantle bio.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/players/playerprofile/nicklower/tabid/8469/playerid/22289/category/senior/season/2012/selected/bio/default.aspx

So, he could give us a running option ala Gilbs? Lock him in imo.

whythelongface
28-11-2012, 09:00 PM

189cm or 6ft 2in certainly isn't little nor nuggety.

azabob
28-11-2012, 09:08 PM
So, he could give us a running option ala Gilbs? Lock him in imo.

From memory his skills were reasonable also?

Bulldog Revolution
28-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Lower I can live with, but I'd like to see us take the best kid with the other pick

AndrewP6
28-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Anyone with a quick description of Duscher? And how old is Goodes?

He's 28.

jazzadogs
28-11-2012, 11:43 PM
He's 28.
Thanks.

strebla
29-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Lower I can live with, but I'd like to see us take the best kid with the other pick

And that would be Gartlett who I would take first.

G-Mo77
29-11-2012, 01:51 AM

Can't see that happening, our other pick seems to be saved for another rookie upgrade. On numerous times I have heard them say this so I'd be surprised if they changed their minds.

Ozza
29-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I'd be happy for the club to add Nick Lower to the list. Has played some good footy, can find the ball and would be a good chance to slot into half back and fill a role.

Much prefer him to Bate.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-11-2012, 10:31 PM
I haven't seen much of Lower so I can't comment, but if he can play off HBF that would be handy.

Callum Bartlett has been delisted by Brisbane primarily because of his injuries. He's had two knee reconstructions and had it not been for that, he probably would have been a top 10 draft pick or thereabouts a couple of years ago. Apparently the Lions intend on putting him back on the list as a rookie, but I'd love to be bold and throw him an offer.

Pre-injury he was a dynamic midfielder with incredible agility, explosive pace and good skills.

boydogs
30-11-2012, 12:04 AM
I haven't seen much of Lower so I can't comment, but if he can play off HBF that would be handy.

He's a bit like Greg Broughton, prolific ball getter who can play multiple roles in midfield and defense.

Callum Bartlett has been delisted by Brisbane primarily because of his injuries. He's had two knee reconstructions and had it not been for that, he probably would have been a top 10 draft pick or thereabouts a couple of years ago. Apparently the Lions intend on putting him back on the list as a rookie, but I'd love to be bold and throw him an offer.

Pre-injury he was a dynamic midfielder with incredible agility, explosive pace and good skills.

Don't mind that idea either.

G-Mo77
30-11-2012, 02:06 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151907/default.aspx

No talk of a rookie upgrade now so it looks like it's going to be 2 out of these 4 players.

Nick Lower
Matthew Bate
Ben Duscher
Brett Goodes

I think they'll go with the bolded. If Goodes was around 25 - 26 he'd be my first choice.

Hotdog60
30-11-2012, 07:20 AM

No talk of a rookie upgrade now so it looks like it's going to be 2 out of these 4 players.

Nick Lower
Matthew Bate
Ben Duscher
Brett Goodes

I think they'll go with the bolded. If Goodes was around 25 - 26 he'd be my first choice.

Same here, I wonder if Goodes will look back and think what could have been. He seems to have talent in the VFL.

stefoid
30-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Anyone know anything about Duscher? Sounds like his nickname would pick itself...

Looks like Lower is already in, from the sounds of Mac in that article.

edit: I see there is a bit of a writeup on him in another thread - a midfielder. Let me guess - hard at it and of good character :)

LostDoggy
30-11-2012, 03:31 PM
I think if it's two they'll grab Lower and Bate. Lower was told he'd be re-drafted by Dockers so he must have an idea that we're going to draft him. I'm not as down on Bate as some people seem to be. I think he moves pretty well and doesn't mind the contest. Could see him doing a job for us if given the opportunity.

Eastdog
30-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Were do you reckon Kurt Tippett will end up. Is it worth having another shot at picking him up. Sydney is most likely going to get him.

LostDoggy
30-11-2012, 03:40 PM
I think if it's two they'll grab Lower and Bate. Lower was told he'd be re-drafted by Dockers so he must have an idea that we're going to draft him. I'm not as down on Bate as some people seem to be. I think he moves pretty well and doesn't mind the contest. Could see him doing a job for us if given the opportunity.

I'm with you. A swooping left-foot hff would suit us nicely.

I think he suffers from being a swooper in that people deduce that he lacks the willingness to win his own pill. Half-forward flankers have had to bear this criticsm since forever.

LostDoggy
30-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Were do you reckon Kurt Tippett will end up. Is it worth having another shot at picking him up. Sydney is most likely going to get him.

Big price on his head and will possibly have to sit out the first half of the season - I'm saying no thanks.

LostDoggy
30-11-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm with you. A swooping left-foot hff would suit us nicely.

I think he suffers from being a swooper in that people deduce that he lacks the willingness to win his own pill. Half-forward flankers have had to bear this criticsm since forever.

Agree. I think he's able to play the receiver role and also win his own pill, which is obviously what Macca likes in a player.

Eastdog
30-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Big price on his head and will possibly have to sit out the first half of the season - I'm saying no thanks.

Maybe with his situation it's best we just leave that.

Axe Man
30-11-2012, 03:54 PM

Nick Lower
Matthew Bate
Ben Duscher
Brett Goodes

In the press conference Macca actually says we are looking at 5 players for the 2 spots, 3 of whom have 'proven AFL experience', which begs the question, who is the mystery fifth player? Josh Toy perhaps?

Eastdog
30-11-2012, 03:57 PM
In the press conference Macca actually says we are looking at 5 players for the 2 spots, 3 of whom have 'proven AFL experience', which begs the question, who is the mystery fifth player? Josh Toy perhaps?

Josh Toy is a bit of risky one as his playing ability might be hampered by a serious heart condition.

LostDoggy
30-11-2012, 03:58 PM
In the press conference Macca actually says we are looking at 5 players for the 2 spots

Maybe Macca cant count :confused:

Keep the team young. Lower & Duscher for mine. Or the Mystery 'Toy'.

Eastdog
30-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Maybe Macca cant count :confused:

Keep the team young. Lower & Duscher for mine. Or the Mystery 'Toy'.

Agree. Sure we need experience in our side but the younger players are the future.

Bulldog4life
30-11-2012, 04:34 PM

Heard that too. Maybe the 5th player is one of our rookies may be upgraded.

Twodogs
30-11-2012, 04:51 PM
So we could take Lower in the PSD or rookie drafts? I'm guessing that there is a fairly large pay differential between being on the senior list and being a rookie listed player.

Maybe we were in a position to offer Lower a place on the senior list and Freo only had a place on the rookie list available hence Lower's keeness to train with us.

Twodogs
30-11-2012, 04:52 PM

Ben Hudson.

LongWait
30-11-2012, 05:41 PM
My mail is we've told Lower we'll select him in the PSD, so he'd therefore be on our main list. Lower prefers us over remaining at Freo is what I've been told.

jazzadogs
30-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Would Prismall still be the fifth? He hasn't officially signed at Port?

DOG GOD
30-11-2012, 05:57 PM
God help our fwd line if gia, Higgins, cordy,bate etc are in there.....bate is no quicker than gia is he?

Eastdog
30-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Would Prismall still be the fifth? He hasn't officially signed at Port?

Port Adelaide are in real trouble on and off the field and they are really going to struggle to keep hold of their best players. Do you rate Prismall jazzadogs? What could he offer us?

Eastdog
30-11-2012, 06:00 PM
God help our fwd line if gia, Higgins, cordy,bate etc are in there.....bate is no quicker than gia is he?

I don't really rate Bate at all. Who is a similar type of player like Tippett who is currently available.

azabob
30-11-2012, 06:26 PM
My mail is we've told Lower we'll select him in the PSD, so he'd therefore be on our main list. Lower prefers us over remaining at Freo is what I've been told.

Lower's brother and agent also said, yes he'd been offered a chance to continue to train with Freo, but basically said Freo know who he is and what type of player he is, time for him to train with someone else.

jazzadogs
30-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Port Adelaide are in real trouble on and off the field and they are really going to struggle to keep hold of their best players. Do you rate Prismall jazzadogs? What could he offer us?
Oh no I don't want him, just speculating that he could be the fifth player that Macca referred to.

My preference would be Lower, upgrade Jong, rookie Duscher.

bulldogtragic
30-11-2012, 07:16 PM
My preference would be Lower, upgrade Jong, rookie Duscher.

Wouldn't be the worst case scenario. But then again any scenario without Prismall and Bate sounds good to me.

DOG GOD
30-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Seriously, if bate can be delisted by Melbourne who are a rabble, what on earth could he offer us?

A list clogger if there was ever one.

No thanks.

Lower I like though.

GVGjr
30-11-2012, 09:44 PM

Thanks LW. I'm starting to warm to the idea of adding two experienced players. Very happy to think Lower is right in our sights.

boydogs
30-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Ben Hudson.

Lol! That would be hilarious!
Do you know something, or just being absurd?

I don't know why Tippett isn't being mentioned more, if GWS don't take him we have a pick before Sydney does. Maybe he's the 5th player.

bulldogtragic
30-11-2012, 10:51 PM

I don't know why Tippett isn't being mentioned more, if GWS don't take him we have a pick before Sydney does. Maybe he's the 5th player.
Or he costs too much.

G-Mo77
30-11-2012, 10:52 PM

Good mail then. :)

I'm really happy to get Lower.

boydogs
30-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Or he costs too much.

Too much for the cap? Or too much as in not worth it?

azabob
01-12-2012, 12:00 AM

Nick Lower
Matthew Bate
Ben Duscher
Brett Goodes

I think Ben Duscher has a connection to Shannon Grant? If he does he would have a good shot at it also. Nice size, right age and has good disposal.

Eastdog
01-12-2012, 12:04 AM

If we were back in the market to get Kurt Tippett who would we have to give up?

soupman
01-12-2012, 08:47 AM
According to twitter an Irish bloke called Bill O'Carrol is training with us. Apparently just over 6 foot. International rookies don't take up normal spots do they so he could be a bonus rookie:)

The Coon Dog
01-12-2012, 11:59 AM

Here's one for those that understand next years draft a bit.

Can we take Tippet in the PSD (I understand he'll nominate terms, so that may be an issue re: tenure), & then trade him to Sydney at next years trade week for their first round selection?

Costs us a bit in salary (could be a problem), might cause disquiet with existing players (could be a major problem), feels kind of dirty (perception could be a problem), he could get concussed (could be a problem) & he has an awful return after round 11 so Sydney (& anyone else may not part with a first round pick).

Those are the negatives as I see them & that alone is enough for me to have NO part whatsoever, but is there anyone that would perhaps consider it if it meant 2 picks in round one in an uncompromised draft in 2013?

Maddog37
01-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Not for me CD as the risk of more concussion may well render him valueless.

chef
01-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I think we should stay away.

bulldogtragic
01-12-2012, 01:38 PM

Can we take Tippet in the PSD (I understand he'll nominate terms, so that may be an issue re: tenure), & then trade him to Sydney at next years trade week for their first round selection?

Costs us a bit in salary (could be a problem), might cause disquiet with existing players (could be a major problem), feels kind of dirty (perception could be a problem), he could get concussed (could be a problem) & he has an awful return after round 11 so Sydney (& anyone else may not part with a first round pick).

Those are the negatives as I see them & that alone is enough for me to have NO part whatsoever, but is there anyone that would perhaps consider it if it meant 2 picks in round one in an uncompromised draft in 2013?
Smells a little like the Veale deal to me, but I like your creativity.

mjp
01-12-2012, 01:45 PM
In theory we could.

Would be a VERY expensive first round pick though, particularly if the Swans finish up near the top again...pay an extra $1mill in salary for the 18th pick in the draft seems like a high price.

LostDoggy
01-12-2012, 03:11 PM
In theory we could.

Would be a VERY expensive first round pick though, particularly if the Swans finish up near the top again...pay an extra $1mill in salary for the 18th pick in the draft seems like a high price.

I think the question should be does he have no interest in coming to Melbourne? We've had 2 good power forwards (that we've recruited under 30 years of age) in the past 30 years and here is one that will only cost a pre season pick. Sure he'll take up cap space but we should be well placed to absorb his salary.

bulldogtragic
01-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Not sure where we will find a spare million per annum.

BulldogBelle
01-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Not sure where we will find a spare million per annum.

We're probably struggling to hit minimum salary cap expenditure!

bulldogtragic
01-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Even if that was the case, is he worth a million a year? I'm firmly in the no camp.

Not to mention the last time we got a KPF forward who didn't want to play with us, it didn't work out well at all.

GVGjr
01-12-2012, 03:56 PM

We are in a fantastic position to renegotiate some contracts and set us up for the next few seasons. That's all we need to focus on.

boydogs
01-12-2012, 06:47 PM

No-one, just whoever else would've taken his spot on the list e.g. Bate

Don't see why not. Why trade him though?

GVGjr
03-12-2012, 06:32 AM
Prismall appears to be heading our way. So its likely to both Prismall and Lower with our two picks.

G-Mo77
03-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Prismall appears to be heading our way. So its likely to both Prismall and Lower with our two picks.

Ugh. Please Essendon, have a change of heart.

azabob
03-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Ugh. Please Essendon, have a change of heart.

By the sounds of it, it is him who is walking.

G-Mo77
03-12-2012, 08:48 AM
By the sounds of it, it is him who is walking.

I know. They were always keen to keep him though. We're going to have to take him with our first pick now so will Freo take Lower if available? I'd be disgusted if we missed him because we decided to take someone who'll need a wheel chair a few weeks into the season. :mad:

The Pie Man
03-12-2012, 08:56 AM
I know. They were always keen to keep him though. We're going to have to take him with our first pick now so will Freo take Lower if available? I'd be disgusted if we missed him because we decided to take someone who'll need a wheel chair a few weeks into the season. :mad:

Agreed - if we get both, I won't be too disappointed - this wouldn't seem likely to me.

Mantis
03-12-2012, 09:29 AM
It's been a few weeks of good news stories with our recent footy dept. appointments, positive feedback from the draft and Cooney on the mend.... but the report that we will be taking Prismall in the PSD doesn't fit into this category.

Hopefully he surprises, but I can't see him doing much at all.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-12-2012, 10:08 AM
It's as if McCartney and co are intent on building a great culture with good characters and that is seen as Prismall's value over and above his potential to contribute on field.
I am not one to pit my judgement above that of McCartney and co so I accept what they determine and wait to see the benefits.

Mantis
03-12-2012, 10:12 AM
It's as if McCartney and co are intent on building a great culture with good characters and that is seen as Prismall's value over and above his potential to contribute on field.

That would be crazy if true.

First and foremost we are a footy team whose primary objection is to win games of footy... Whilst it's nice to have a group of men who are good characters, our main goal should be to have a group of good to very good footballers.

The Underdog
03-12-2012, 10:13 AM
It's been a few weeks of good news stories with our recent footy dept. appointments, positive feedback from the draft and Cooney on the mend.... but the report that we will be taking Prismall in the PSD doesn't fit into this category.

Hopefully he surprises, but I can't see him doing much at all.

If he offered a point of difference then he'd might be worth taking a flyer on, but a one paced mostly inside mid who is often injured fills precisely no gap on our list. I just don't see why we'd chase him.

Maddog37
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
I think he has some genuine talent and now has three clubs after him. We all have doubts as to his injuries etc and also the fact that he is perhaps another inside mid but I think he can be more of an outside runner.

Doc26
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm a bit confused by the delisted player free agency ruling in the lead up to the pre season draft.

Reports indicate that Dylan Roberton has been signed by the Saints on the 29th Nov as a delisted free agent.

Does this latest signing still mean St Kilda must use a PSD selection for him or is this outside the PSD process ? Not that I'm at all suggesting it but could we still select Roberton with our PSD pick given that ours is before St Kilda's or is he now St Kilda's regardless. Assuming the latter, what's stopping Nick Lower for example signing with us like Roberton did with St Kilda pre the PSD ?

Just looking for a bit of clarification on the process for delisted free agents and the PSD as the AFL is wanting in its lack documentatin to the public on these matters.

Twodogs
03-12-2012, 01:00 PM

No, I'm just being silly.

boydogs
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Just looking for a bit of clarification on the process for delisted free agents and the PSD as the AFL is wanting in its lack documentatin to the public on these matters.

Dunno, maybe the players have to nominate for the PSD to be a part of it

jazzadogs
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm a bit confused by the delisted player free agency ruling in the lead up to the pre season draft.

Reports indicate that Dylan Roberton has been signed by the Saints on the 29th Nov as a delisted free agent.

Does this latest signing still mean St Kilda must use a PSD selection for him or is this outside the PSD process ? Not that I'm at all suggesting it but could we still select Roberton with our PSD pick given that ours is before St Kilda's or is he now St Kilda's regardless. Assuming the latter, what's stopping Nick Lower for example signing with us like Roberton did with St Kilda pre the PSD ?

Any player that is delisted by his club automatically becomes a 'delisted free agent' and can be secured by any club at any time during the 'delisted free agency' period. This period ended on November 28th.

I'm not sure why we didn't take this option with Lower, I assume that we were still deciding which direction we were going to take with the PSD/rookie draft.

It will be interesting to see how we go about the PSD now that we seem to be targeting Lower and Prismall.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Any player that is delisted by his club automatically becomes a 'delisted free agent' and can be secured by any club at any time during the 'delisted free agency' period. This period ended on November 28th.

I'm not sure why we didn't take this option with Lower, I assume that we were still deciding which direction we were going to take with the PSD/rookie draft.

It will be interesting to see how we go about the PSD now that we seem to be targeting Lower and Prismall.
Brain fade, we should have taken Lower as a delisted FA.

Doc26
03-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Brain fade, we should have taken Lower as a delisted FA.

Thanks JazzaDogs. This is what has confused me. If we are seriously interested in picking up Prismall and/or Lower then we could've gone that route by 28Nov. Maybe there is someone else in mind for our first selection who wasn't a delisted player. The Tippet option may yet be one we're contemplating otherwise something would seem amiss.

LongWait
03-12-2012, 03:28 PM

Not every player that is delisted becomes a free agent. If a player is not otherwise eligible for free agency and is offered but refuses a contract, the player is considered to have delisted themselves. They must then enter the draft process and be selected at one of the draft meetings. Toy is not eligible for free agency for this reason. I'm not sure of Lower's status, but he may be in the same boat.

Doc26
03-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Not every player that is delisted becomes a free agent. If a player is not otherwise eligible for free agency and is offered but refuses a contract, the player is considered to have delisted themselves. They must then enter the draft process and be selected at one of the draft meetings. Toy is not eligible for free agency for this reason. I'm not sure of Lower's status, but he may be in the same boat.

Ok so the plot thickens. Thanks LongWait.

Would not have thought either Prismall or Lower were offered new contracts by their respective Clubs unless of course a guaranteed PSD or rookie spot selection by them is deemed a new contract which by JazzaDogs description means they should've been available to be signed by us by the 28Nov.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Ok so the plot thickens. Thanks LongWait.

Would not have thought either Prismall or Lower were offered new contracts by their respective Clubs unless of course a guaranteed PSD or rookie spot selection by them is deemed a new contract which by JazzaDogs description means they should've been available to be signed by us by the 28Nov.
From what I understand Prismall was offered a one year deal and Lower was delisted but was then offered a new deal when Nick Riewoldts look a like retired.

Doc26
03-12-2012, 03:46 PM
From what I understand Prismall was offered a one year deal and Lower was delisted but was then offered a new deal when Nick Riewoldts look a like retired.

Ok I get it now. Thanks Bulldogtragic. A contract offer on the table, however small, from Essendon to Prismall and one from Freo to Lower would then explain why we take the PSD path with them.

Is there anything stopping a Club putting a ludicrously low offer to one of their delisted players to simply stop them getting picked up by a rival Club during the latest free agency period (ending 28Nov) ? Would be a prat of a thing to do by the Club.

F'scary
03-12-2012, 04:05 PM
I am not against the recruitment of Lower.

Prismall worries me as he has had a lot of injuries.

Does anyone know if we have put him through a medical?

Is anyone feeling differently about recruiting Prismall - that is, thinks he fits the bill (to bolster our ready-to-go experienced list)?

bulldogtragic
03-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I am not against the recruitment of Lower.

Prismall worries me as he has had a lot of injuries.

Does anyone know if we have put him through a medical?

Is anyone feeling differently about recruiting Prismall - that is, thinks he fits the bill (to bolster our ready-to-go experienced list)?
List clogger.

G-Mo77
03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Is there anything stopping a Club putting a ludicrously low offer to one of their delisted players to simply stop them getting picked up by a rival Club during the latest free agency period (ending 28Nov) ? Would be a prat of a thing to do by the Club.

That's probably what Essendon did, sounds like something they'd do.

LongWait
03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Ok I get it now. Thanks Bulldogtragic. A contract offer on the table, however small, from Essendon to Prismall and one from Freo to Lower would then explain why we take the PSD path with them.

There are minimums that apply to salary components for contracts but I guess the minimum possible payment on a one year contract qualifies as an offer and prevents a player becoming a free agent.

As you implied Doc - it would be pretty poor form for a club to do this to a player who once was paid more than the minimum, especially if they had first delisted the player. The exception probably being a relatively highly paid player who hadn't performed.

boydogs
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM

Well, we got our man

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/152030/default.aspx

jazzadogs
03-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I got those dates off the AFL website (link (http://www.afl.com.au/offseason/keydraftdates/tabid/19765/default.aspx))....am I missing something?

Not complaining though, glad we got him!

DOG GOD
03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Well, we got our man

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/152030/default.aspx

Good news.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Well, we got our man

Now just to make sure we don't undue some great off season results by drafting Prismall. As everything so far has been really positive so far.

Bulldog4life
03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Now just to make sure we don't undue some great off season results by drafting Prismall. As everything so far has been really positive so far.

Now you're being greedy.

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Well, we got our man

Great that we made a decision

bulldogtragic
03-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Now you're being greedy.
Sorry :)

Although Prismall would only be replacing Skinner so it's no real loss, but surely a kid is worth punting on over a never was with bad knees.

Bulldog4life
03-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Sorry :)

Although Prismall would only be replacing Skinner so it's no real loss, but surely a kid is worth punting on over a never was with bad knees.

True. Time will tell how good our recruiting has been on and off field.

jeemak
04-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Good outcome, with Lower coming on to the list.

I suppose I'm not overly keen on Prismal, though I can see the benefit in stocking up on midfield options, as midfield depth was an area we desperately lacked in this past season.

The reality is that not all of Lower, Stevens, Smith, Liberatore, Wallis and Prismal will be players with a long term future (with the Bulldogs, and in the game generally speaking), and with Cross and Boyd likely to only have one and two years respectively left in the game we're still in need of cover in that area.

My personal opinion on Prismal is if he can get his body right, he'll be a fairly astute accumulator that will assist in our rotations. I don't think he's going to be the star he might have had the potential to be pre injuries, though he still has capacity to become a contributing player.

bornadog
05-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Dogs Check out Prismall (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-check-out-prismall-20121204-2atci.html)

THE Western Bulldogs will have their medical team examine former Essendon and Geelong midfielder Brent Prismall as it decides whether to take a punt on the 26-year-old.
Prismall began training with the club on Monday and will have the rest of the week to convince coach Brendan McCartney he is worthy of the final spot on the Dogs' list. Prismall trained with Port Adelaide last week and it is believed the Power were keen to sign him as a delisted free agent.

Ghost Dog
06-12-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm just impressed by the club in every aspect of the development of the organisation.
We've picked up the kind of players we want in the Draft and PSD and have chosen very carefully. We have appointed coaches in the areas we need. New investment in our footy department. So exciting.

stefoid
06-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Cat meet pigeons...

From BF thread:

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/12/06/another-goodes-on-afl-horizon/

bulldogtragic
06-12-2012, 03:14 PM
28 seems a little too old to draft dont you think? Although that would still be better than a player no one will give a two year contract to. Surely there is a kid out there worth punting on.

Remi Moses
06-12-2012, 03:22 PM
28 seems a little too old to draft don you think? Although that would still be better than a player no one will give a two year contract to. Surely there is a kid out there worth punting on.

Would think so. I don't get it, we're not interested in 28y/olds in F/A yet look at someone in that age group in the pre- season!!:eek:

bulldogtragic
06-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Would think so. I don't get it, we're not interested in 28y/olds in F/A yet look at someone in that age group in the pre- season!!:eek:
I suppose the fact Bate has been told no is some sort of comfort. Now just say no to Prismall.....

boydogs
06-12-2012, 03:28 PM
28 seems a little too old to draft dont you think? Although that would still be better than a player no one will give a two year contract to. Surely there is a kid out there worth punting on.

I like the process we have gone through to make our decision, if Goodes is who comes out the other side then so be it

The Underdog
06-12-2012, 03:37 PM
I suppose the fact Bate has been told no is some sort of comfort. Now just say no to Prismall.....

Sockeye probably can't type through his tears of joy at the news Bate won't be a Bulldog

bulldogtragic
06-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Not to flog a dead horse, but Garlett seems to be doing ok at windy hill. Even face booking that he is doing the hard yards and removed all the BS on the account. Wonder if any of this will counteract his poor interview with us and record of misbehaviour. Probably not but worth mentioning.

jazzadogs
06-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Given there was talk of Prismall being offered some sort of Football Dept job, I wonder if they will employ him part time/full time in Goodes' role. If Goodes was on our list I would want him to be concentrating on playing AFL, so we would either need someone to assist him or take over his role.

LostDoggy
06-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Nothing against Goodes but not sure I understand the thoughts behind drafting him over Prismall or even Bate??

lemmon
06-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Nothing against Goodes but not sure I understand the thoughts behind drafting him over Prismall or even Bate??

Perhaps they have identified a need for another rebounding/running half back. Always liked his clean skills through the middle and half back for Willi

LostDoggy
06-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Perhaps they have identified a need for another rebounding/running half back. Always liked his clean skills through the middle and half back for Willi

Yeah perhaps. I must confess that I haven't really seen a lot of Brett's football but I guess I'm looking at the fact that he's 28 and doesn't seem to have been on the AFL radar at all.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I'd rather Goodes than Prismall.

Eastdog
06-12-2012, 08:27 PM
I'd rather Goodes than Prismall.

Where was Goodes playing at before? What were his stats like?

SlimPickens
06-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Where was Goodes playing at before? What were his stats like?

Think he played at Sunshine reserves and was averaging 27 touches a game...seriously dude look it up!

Raw Toast
06-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Goodes seems a decent player at a position of considerable need - I'd be much happier to get him than Prismall whom we need as much as Chris Judd needs another environmental ambassador role.

Eastdog
06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Think he played at Sunshine reserves and was averaging 27 touches a game...seriously dude look it up!

Originally from NT Thunder. 27 touches average is very good. Does he have good disposal efficiency. From his Williamstown profile his played 105 games and got 52 goals.

jeemak
07-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Originally from NT Thunder. 27 touches average is very good. Does he have good disposal efficiency. From his Williamstown profile his played 105 games and got 52 goals.

It's tough to tell Eastdog, whether he has good disposal efficiency for the highest level. It's a big jump up from VFL to AFL as you'd know, so irrespective of whether he did in the VFL only being placed in the senior team could really determine that as the pressure he'll face in the AFL will find him out one way or the other. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have any technical issues with his disposal that should be of great concern.

From what I can gather he's in contention due to his ability to use the ball by foot linking defense to attack through the middle of the ground, so if he was played there it would be expected he'd be able to hold his own. You have to remember Murphy is likely to play forward, so we need a decent user to assist Howard in taking the next step in providing rebound in to attack.

I don't think it's a good use of a list spot. I like the idea of rewarding excellent performance from our feeder team, though at 28 he's not going to really adjust and get in to the swing of things until after a year on the list making him 29 by that time. If the club realistically thinks we're going to be contending for a finals position in 2014 and Goodes can assist in getting there then that's a bit of a different story, though if that was the case they're a little more optimistic about our prospects than I am.

Eastdog
07-12-2012, 01:39 AM
It's tough to tell Eastdog, whether he has good disposal efficiency for the highest level. It's a big jump up from VFL to AFL as you'd know, so irrespective of whether he did in the VFL only being placed in the senior team could really determine that as the pressure he'll face in the AFL will find him out one way or the other. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have any technical issues with his disposal that should be of great concern.

From what I can gather he's in contention due to his ability to use the ball by foot linking defense to attack through the middle of the ground, so if he was played there it would be expected he'd be able to hold his own. You have to remember Murphy is likely to play forward, so we need a decent user to assist Howard in taking the next step in providing rebound in to attack.

I don't think it's a good use of a list spot. I like the idea of rewarding excellent performance from our feeder team, though at 28 he's not going to really adjust and get in to the swing of things until after a year on the list making him 29 by that time. If the club realistically thinks we're going to be contending for a finals position in 2014 and Goodes can assist in getting there then that's a bit of a different story, though if that was the case they're a little more optimistic about our prospects than I am.

He hasn't played at AFL level before and thats a very big step from where he is and he may struggle. Its like a small fish entering a big sea. Was Lower a good get.

jeemak
07-12-2012, 02:00 AM
He hasn't played at AFL level before and thats a very big step from where he is and he may struggle. Its like a small fish entering a big sea. Was Lower a good get.

Lower is versatile, and will help bolster both our midfield and defense.

I think the club is really working towards adding depth to our midfield, and it seems they're going about it by choosing secondary midfielders who can do a bit of grunt work and accumulating as well as helping out in other areas across the ground.

Like all of our recruits to this point, I think he has been selected with a purpose in mind, though it still remains to be seen whether he'll be a consistent player for us.

Eastdog
07-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Lower is versatile, and will help bolster both our midfield and defense.

I think the club is really working towards adding depth to our midfield, and it seems they're going about it by choosing secondary midfielders who can do a bit of grunt work and accumulating as well as helping out in other areas across the ground.

Like all of our recruits to this point, I think he has been selected with a purpose in mind, though it still remains to be seen whether he'll be a consistent player for us.

Hopefully our midfield can eventually be as good if not better than it was in 2009. Our ball movement needs to improve as well. Jake Stringer one poster said somewhere on another thread is touted as a full forward for us down the track.

Ghost Dog
07-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Goodes can be as good as Vezpremi or Djekurra, who we have persisted with, from what I've seen. We need a bit more maturity and hardness of blokes around that age, and hey, can't hurt to have your welfare officer running around out there. As soon as someone's injured or in a scrap you can get your counselling done right there on the field :) saves time!

A good vfl player but that's his level. Also at 28 his time has past.

He works as a development coach at the bulldogs.

Going to be a surprise for many if he gets a spot!!

Bulldog4life
07-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Goodesy's big brother Adam is still playing top footy and is 32 next month. Might run in the family. Could play 3 to 5 years with us. Who knows.

Twodogs
07-12-2012, 11:51 AM

I think both the Goodes brothers started up at Ballarat Rebels.

Maddog37
07-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I would watch the Willi games on tv to check out the younger Doggie listed players and invariably I would come away impressed most by Goodes. He looked miles better than Vez, Moles, Tutt, Howard etc.

Having said that, so did blokes like Jolley so who knows......

Bulldog4life
07-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I would watch the Willi games on tv to check out the younger Doggie listed players and invariably I would come away impressed most by Goodes. He looked miles better than Vez, Moles, Tutt, Howard etc.

Having said that, so did blokes like Jolley so who knows......

Could be an even better player after doing the doggies preseason training.

lemmon
07-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Wish we had some interest in Ben Ross, real favourite of mine

Maddog37
07-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Will we have a rookie pick?

Bulldog4life
07-12-2012, 03:12 PM

From what I have read recently we might have a rookie pick. If that is the case I presume we will upgrade one of the current rookies.

G-Mo77
07-12-2012, 04:00 PM
From what I have read recently we might have a rookie pick. If that is the case I presume we will upgrade one of the current rookies.

We can actually have another rookie if we bypass the PSD selection. We don't have to upgrade any of the 4, just have 44 total on the list (Rookies Included)

azabob
07-12-2012, 04:00 PM

If we have a pick in the pre-season draft, I don't think we will have a open spot on the rookie list.

For a rookie list pick to occur, we need to upgrade a rookie.

G-Mo77
07-12-2012, 04:49 PM
For a rookie list pick to occur, we need to upgrade a rookie.

I don't think we do now aza. We can have 5 rookies if we don't take the PSD pick, well so I've been told.

44 total on the list combined.

soupman
07-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Another variation is that international rookies don't count under the normal rookie cap, so if this Irish bloke who has apparentlybeen training with us is good enough we can pick him up without sacrificing a rookie spot.

The Underdog
07-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Another variation is that international rookies don't count under the normal rookie cap, so if this Irish bloke who has apparentlybeen training with us is good enough we can pick him up without sacrificing a rookie spot.

I saw something the other day that said that this isn't happening i.e. he's not interested. I'd search for it but, you know...

LostDoggy
07-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I don't think we do now aza. We can have 5 rookies if we don't take the PSD pick, well so I've been told.

Yeah. Richmond have six i read the other day. Two less on their primary.

Bulldog4life
07-12-2012, 06:19 PM
We can actually have another rookie if we bypass the PSD selection. We don't have to upgrade any of the 4, just have 44 total on the list (Rookies Included)

Thanks for the info G-Mo77. I wasn't aware of that. Be interesting to see what we do.

Axe Man
07-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I saw something the other day that said that this isn't happening i.e. he's not interested. I'd search for it but, you know...

I don't think he was ever training with us, it all stemmed from some twitter posts by his brother, some sort of weird joke I guess. Plus the deadline to nominate an international rookie has already passed apparently.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-04/going-to-the-dogs)

azabob
07-12-2012, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the info G-Mo77. I wasn't aware of that. Be interesting to see what we do.

Thanks Go-Mo, also wasn't aware of that.

According to Patrick Keane from the afl we have pick 2 in the PSD.

bornadog
08-12-2012, 05:21 AM
The AFL has released the draft selection order for next Tuesday's pre-season draft.
The draft order was released after the AFL examined each club's total player payment estimates.
The clubs not participating in the pre-season draft have already submitted full primary lists of 40 players.
The rookie draft will also be held next Tuesday.

Round One
1 – GWS Giants
2 – Western Bulldogs
3 – Port Adelaide
4 – Brisbane Lions
5 – Richmond
6 – Essendon
7 – Carlton
8 – Fremantle
9 – Collingwood
10 – Adelaide Crows
11 – Sydney Swans

Round Two
12 – GWS Giants
13 – Carlton
14 – Fremantle
15 – Collingwood
16 – Sydney Swans

Round Three
17 – Sydney Swans

bornadog
08-12-2012, 05:35 AM
Western Bulldogs consider AFL fairytale for VFL journeyman Brett Goodes (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/western-bulldogs-consider-afl-fairytale-for-vfl-journeyman-brett-goodes/story-e6frf9jf-1226531613431)

THE Western Bulldogs could spring a pre-season draft surprise by snaring VFL journeyman Brett Goodes on Tuesday.

Goodes, 28, has played in two VFL premierships with North Ballarat and is the brother of Sydney Swans superstar Adam Goodes.

He is also the player welfare manager at Whitten Oval, setting up an intriguing selection dilemma for Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney.

Discarded Essendon midfielder Brent Prismall was considered a certainty to be taken by the Bulldogs after knocking back an offer from Port Adelaide.

But the Dogs yesterday confirmed Goodes, a hard-running defender, remained an option and was locked in a race with Prismall, 26, for a fairytale shot at the AFL.

The Dogs signed former Fremantle player Nick Lower, 25, as a delisted free agent on Monday and have just one more spot to fill.

"Brett, along with a number of other players, has trained with the club in the past couple of weeks, with a view to fill the last remaining spot on our list in the lead-up to Tuesday's drafts," Bulldogs list manager Jason McCartney said.

"The club has not yet made a decision on who will fill that spot."

GVGjr
08-12-2012, 07:51 AM
It doesn't look like Matthew Bate is in the mix. I know a lot of people on the forum don't rate him but I think he has a lot of upside.

Hotdog60
08-12-2012, 09:25 AM
It doesn't look like Matthew Bate is in the mix. I know a lot of people on the forum don't rate him but I think he has a lot of upside.

Yeah, I saw an article earlier in the week that the Bulldogs told Bate he wouldn't be selected.

KT31
08-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I saw an article earlier in the week that the Bulldogs told Bate he wouldn't be selected.

I prefer Bate over the other two canidates, but would still prefer a youngster over all three.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Reckon Goodes would give his heart for the opportunity. I prefer him over Prismal, but Dayle Untouchable Garlett most of all.

strebla
08-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Reckon Goodes would give his heart for the opportunity. I prefer him over Prismal, but Dayle Untouchable Garlett most of all.

I am with you BID I would go Gartlett if we don't take a chance with the talent this boy has we are crazy!!!!

Dazza
08-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Wouldn't mind taking Goodes. I've often watched Williamstown games and wondered why he isn't on our list. Outperforms all of our players at Willi the majority of the time.

Hotdog60
08-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Wouldn't mind taking Goodes. I've often watched Williamstown games and wondered why he isn't on our list. Outperforms all of our players at Willi the majority of the time.

The other point to mention is that it seems that Goodes can lift when needed for Willie and get them back into the game. Whether he can do it at AFL level is other question.

jeemak
08-12-2012, 05:28 PM
I want us to take Garlett over all of Prismal, Goodes, Bate etc. It ain't going to happen.

In light of that, I think I'd prefer Prismal to boulster our midfield stocks.

KT31
09-12-2012, 01:56 AM
I want us to take Garlett over all of Prismal, Goodes, Bate etc. It ain't going to happen.

In light of that, I think I'd prefer Prismal to boulster our midfield stocks.

If we can't get him on the park , he won't boulster anything.

Remi Moses
09-12-2012, 02:17 AM
Prefer Garlett over them all.

KT31
09-12-2012, 02:19 AM

Not on your Pat Malone and can't see how we are considering any other option.

bornadog
09-12-2012, 03:39 AM

THIS^^^^^^

Come on dogs take the risk.

G-Mo77
09-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Garlett isn't even on the radar. Save your fingers and just don't bother typing about him. :D

Prismall's a much better option. :)

BornInDroopSt'54
09-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Garlett isn't even on the radar. Save your fingers and just don't bother typing about him. :D

He's flying under it :)

Remi Moses
09-12-2012, 02:29 PM

If you had a market on who would make it Prismall would be longer odds.
Clubs keep talking about bringing players into their culture, yet won't risk Garlett.

bulldogtragic
09-12-2012, 03:20 PM
If you had a market on who would make it Prismall would be longer odds.
Clubs keep talking about bringing players into their culture, yet won't risk Garlett.
The Hun is reporting Garlett is set to be looked over again in the rookie draft as Essendon have apparently gone cold on him. Seems talent to burn is just not enough to be picked up as a rookie but NSW rookies and Fijian players and players like Doogs and Tommy Gun who had no knees are worth taking a risk on. He is being treated like a war criminal, surely he is no more risk than Thorne, GOK or Boumann. Surely the club could bank on supporting such a talent and using our culture to help him reach his potential. Given its a 28 year old, and a guy with no knees as likely last spot potentials, we could do a lot worse than take a calculated risk on the last spot. I mean we could even promote Jong and rookie him and risk even less, what are we really risking, our club is bigger than one player and what he may or may not do and so what if he can't be turned around - we cut him loose like others in recent years... the truth is we have selected worse and dealt with a talent being unconscious with drugs on him and we have supported him not castigated him or dumped him. i know I am wasting my breath but we are going to go the safe and predictable option rather than be more aggressive in filing the last spot. So just get Prismall and let it be over already.

End of rant.

Dogs 24/7
09-12-2012, 05:08 PM

THIS^^^^^^

Come on dogs take the risk.

18 months ago Eades no dickhead policy was very much the foundation of the clubs recruiting and I know guys like BAD was right behind it.
McCartneys mantra of recruiting good young men should be listened to as well and hopefully supported by our fans

I dont know Garlett in the slightest and he probably just needs to mature but he is clearly a risk too big take unless Essendon are intentionally trying to scare off other clubs.

Im not uncomfortable with our position but I would prefer we dont take Prismal.

Bulldog Revolution
09-12-2012, 10:00 PM

I woud certainly favour him over Prismall

Remi Moses
10-12-2012, 01:24 AM
18 months ago Eades no dickhead policy was very much the foundation of the clubs recruiting and I know guys like BAD was right behind it.
McCartneys mantra of recruiting good young men should be listened to as well and hopefully supported by our fans

I dont know Garlett in the slightest and he probably just needs to mature but he is clearly a risk too big take unless Essendon are intentionally trying to scare off other clubs.

Im not uncomfortable with our position but I would prefer we dont take Prismal.

I agree with you to a point, but we had the Libba situation and surely young people are allowed to make mistakes.There's been Angwin types but there has also been stories of young people maturing in the right environment.Seems from the outside that Dayle needs to leave Perth to prosper. Young Walters at Freo is a prime example of someone who got back on track after nearly ruining his own career.

Bulldog4life
10-12-2012, 02:36 AM
Personally I would like to see Austin promoted and another rookie selected instead. He played some good games last year and with an injury or two to key position players we just might need him. If he has a good pre season he might even play in the early round(s) and move ahead of a few players.

bornadog
10-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Personally I would like to see Austin promoted and another rookie selected instead. He played some good games last year and with an injury or two to key position players we just might need him. If he has a good pre season he might even play in the early round(s) and move ahead of a few players.

Worse case senario, Garlett is no good and we get rid of him and upgrade Jong or Austin.

GVGjr
10-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Worse case senario, Garlett is no good and we get rid of him and upgrade Jong or Austin.

I'm not sure its quite as simple as that.

I don't mind the idea of drafting Garlett but I think another 12 months over at Swan Districts with frequent visits to the Bulldogs through the season might be a better approach.

Bulldog4life
10-12-2012, 09:57 AM

But we know that it is not going to happen. Even Essendon has seem to gone cold on Garlett. Surely 18 teams can't be all wrong.

BulldogBelle
10-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Essendon may be intent on selecting him but as a surprise instead of a guarantee, and are deflecting his chances in the media the hope it might play on his head mentally.

Doc26
10-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure its quite as simple as that.

I don't mind the idea of drafting Garlett but I think another 12 months over at Swan Districts with frequent visits to the Bulldogs through the season might be a better approach.

I don't know enough about Garlett's attitude to speak with authority but I'm yet to be convinced that there is no Club prepared to back in its system to shape him from this PSD or rookie draft.

Maybe not ours, but I would see a Club with both a strong football operations team and strong leadership group taking it on or one that believe's they have.

Everyone let Darling slip through last season. This should at least be a very recent lesson of the price one can pay for being too risk averse or taking too seriously a questionable character at such a young impressionable age.

I am surprised that West Coast aren't tempted given the success they've had with Darling this season.

People can and do change in the right environment and circumstances.

The situation that Garlett finds himself in did spark my memory of a fine article written by Glenn McFarlane mid season about StevieJ's travels. This is just a partial extract taken from it.

STEVE Johnson's face was pale, almost alabaster white.

That's the thing that sticks in the memory of Frank Costa from that January day in 2007 when, in Geelong's training room deep beneath the Kardinia Park grandstand, the then 23-year-old forward faced the music.

And the Geelong Football Club changed immeasurably.

Standing before Johnson was the entire Cats playing group. Standing near him was a sprinkling of senior officials, including then president

Costa and chief executive Brian Cook, there to hear what the newly formed leadership team had in store for Johnson, who had transgressed one time too many.

Standing beside Johnson was new captain Tom Harley, who cut the air with a blunt honesty that would set a new standard for the football club.

It wasn't just because Johnson had been arrested for being drunk in a public place - albeit when police found him asleep in the backyard of what he thought was a mate's house (the mate had actually moved) - in his hometown of Wangaratta on Christmas Eve 2006.

It was also for not telling the club about it before details became public about a week after the incident.

The penalties included being banished from the senior group and sent to the VFL team to train, an alcohol ban for the remainder of the 2007 season and being ineligible for senior selection until Round 6.

In essence, Harley told his good friend Johnson that it was the club's way or the Princes Highway.

"I can tell you after it was all handed down, I was livid and Steve was livid," Harley recalled this week.

"At no stage did the leadership group consider this to be a watershed moment for the club. To us, it was all about Steve's wellbeing as a person.

"We didn't want Steve to be the guy perched in the corner of a pub in Wangaratta saying, 'I could have been this' or 'I could have been that'.

"It was about the individual first, the fact that we were able to get some football outcomes out of it as well, that was a bit of a bonus."

Five years and six months on from the moment that shaped Steve Johnson's AFL career - and, to a degree, his life - those bonuses are still coming.

Whether it was intended or not, that moment is now seen as a defining point in Geelong's modern history.

The club that had not won a premiership in 44 years leading into the 2007 season has now won three of the past five.

And the one-time problem child has become the poster boy for what some "tough love" can transform.

The irony is that Johnson, 29 on Wednesday, is now one of the players who sit in judgment on teammates who get into trouble.

Voted into the leadership group by his peers in the pre-season - after being an invited guest last year - Johnson was one of those who had to devise sanctions for teammate Jesse Stringer, who was recently banned from senior football for the rest of the year for an alleged assault on a young woman.

"He's got a fair bit of empathy for situations like that," Geelong football manager Neil Balme said. "It just shows how far he has come."

Harley agrees: "Steve has done some great things over the past five years. But I think his greatest achievement has been the way he has risen through the player ranks in terms of his standing in the club. He has probably gone from his own admission ranked 35 out of whatever to the top half-dozen players."

Link To the full article (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/steve-johnson-was-a-one-time-problem-child-but-is-now-geelongs-poster-boy/story-fnelctok-1226413175465)

LostDoggy
10-12-2012, 07:17 PM
The upside of promoting Austin is that he can play at HF if we need him to, keen to make a contest and doesn't give away cheap frees , solid overhead and clean off the ground

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Mark+Austin+AFL+Rd+9+Western+Bulldogs+v+Geelong+73BrYXX4pz4l .jpg

GVGjr
10-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I don't know enough about Garlett's attitude to speak with authority but I'm yet to be convinced that there is no Club prepared to back in its system to shape him from this PSD or rookie draft.

Maybe not ours, but I would see a Club with both a strong football operations team and strong leadership group taking it on or one that believe's they have.

Everyone let Darling slip through last season. This should at least be a very recent lesson of the price one can pay for being too risk averse or taking too seriously a questionable character at such a young impressionable age.

I am surprised that West Coast aren't tempted given the success they've had with Darling this season.

People can and do change in the right environment and circumstances.

The situation that Garlett finds himself in did spark my memory of a fine article written by Glenn McFarlane mid season about StevieJ's travels. This is just a partial extract taken from it.

I'm sure clubs are having a strong look at him but so many clubs are very mindful of losing sponsors its certainly raised the focus of recruiting 'good young men' or having a 'no dickheads' policy.

I see both sides of the argument here because we have a highly talented youngster that has somehow managed to scare off 18 clubs because he is seen as too big of a risk.

The club that picks him will probably be seen as a visionary.

The Coon Dog
11-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Good article about what clubs may do in the PSD here:

Ultimate SuperFooty AFL 2012 pre-season and rookie draft preview (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/ultimate-superfooty-afl-2012-pre-season-and-rookie-draft-preview/story-e6frf9jf-1226533569038)

LostDoggy
11-12-2012, 11:59 AM
EQ reckons dogs to grab Goodes as a rookie. I really don't see the point to this.

G-Mo77
11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Looks that way, we passed on the PS pick

G-Mo77
11-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Took Goodes as a rookie. Thanks for not taking Prismall!!

Cyberdoggie
11-12-2012, 12:17 PM
The AFL website is playing up again.

jeemak
11-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Disappointing outcome for me, though if the club thinks they can get more than a couple of seasons out of Goodes and that he's likely to influence results and a move up the ladder to challenge for finals in his time with the club then so be it.

Would have liked us to pinch Garlett, though that horse has been flogged enough and it wasn't really a chance to happen.

Twodogs
11-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm happy we took Goodes. It shows that if you work hard you'll be rewarded.

I wonder do why we took him as a rookie when we had a space on the main list available though. Something to do with Veteran's list maybe?

Bulldog4life
11-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm happy we took Goodes. It shows that if you work hard you'll be rewarded.

I agree Twodogs. Definitely worth a shot. At this stage only as a rookie but who knows. He is 5 years younger than the Beard;)

Cyberdoggie
11-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Some interesting picks, Dane Rampe to Sydney, and Brandon Jack (not sure if he's related to the famous Jack's)
Colllingwood has beefed up with some experience and VFL players: Sam Dwyer (port melbourne), Jack Frost (Williamstown), as well as Hudson

Bulldog4life
11-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Some interesting picks, Dane Rampe to Sydney, and Brandon Jack (not sure if he's related to the famous Jack's)
Colllingwood has beefed up with some experience and VFL players: Sam Dwyer (port melbourne), Jack Frost (Williamstown), as well as Hudson

Kieran Jack's brother.

bulldogtragic
11-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Disappointing outcome for me, though if the club thinks they can get more than a couple of seasons out of Goodes and that he's likely to influence results and a move up the ladder to challenge for finals in his time with the club then so be it.

Would have liked us to pinch Garlett, though that horse has been flogged enough and it wasn't really a chance to happen.
Garlett was again snubbed by all 18 clubs.

LostDoggy
11-12-2012, 12:58 PM
So we give a 28 year old a rookie spot in favour of any number of 18 year olds or in fact any number of candidates younger than 28?

And if he makes it as an AFL standard player we will take him on at 29. Sorry but I consider this utter stupidity.

We have taken late Rookie picks in the past and they have turned into diamonds. Why can we not do this again?

Doesn't say much for our much vaunted coaching structure.

jeemak
11-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Garlett was again snubbed by all 18 clubs.

So they're right for not taking a punt on him with a rookie spot?

Just because every club makes the same decision, it doesn't mean it's the right one.

We've been through this time and again though, so let's not bother. :)

LostDoggy
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I think the club has made a real statement this year. We only bring in fiercely competitive players who are prepared to work bloody hard to get the job done. No prima donnas, no me first characters. I see Goodes as part of building a better culture at the club. Not unhappy at all, we have brought in 11 players some of them need to be seasoned foot soldiers willing to set an example for the younger kids.

G-Mo77
11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
So they're right for not taking a punt on him with a rookie spot?

Just because every club makes the same decision, it doesn't mean it's the right one.

We've been through this time and again though, so let's not bother. :)

There is a lot more to lose if a player completely screws up. You can easily say, "Oh well just sack him" but what if our sponsor doesn't see it that way? Sponsors have pulled the pin in the past due to player antics. There is much more to lose than just a player.

jeemak
11-12-2012, 02:19 PM
There is a lot more to lose if a player completely screws up. You can easily say, "Oh well just sack him" but what if our sponsor doesn't see it that way? Sponsors have pulled the pin in the past due to player antics. There is much more to lose than just a player.

I don't disagree. There's also a lot to be gained if you get it right, both for the club and for the player.

G-Mo77
11-12-2012, 02:24 PM
I don't disagree. There's also a lot to be gained if you get it right, both for the club and for the player.

Anyway we can have this discussion next year. Hopefully Dayle can prove all clubs that he's worth a spot.

jeemak
11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Anyway we can have this discussion next year. Hopefully Dayle can prove all clubs that he's worth a spot.

For sure. Whilst I'm no bleeding heart I don't like the idea of a kids dreams being shattered at 18. Hopefully he takes his medicine and puts a very good year together on and off the field.

ledge
11-12-2012, 02:37 PM
For sure. Whilst I'm no bleeding heart I don't like the idea of a kids dreams being shattered at 18. Hopefully he takes his medicine and puts a very good year together on and off the field.

Little Tom Liberatore comes to mind, hopefully he has matured a lot, we aren't hearing much though on his return and mind set.

Remi Moses
11-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Seems like clubs have gone down the coaching mentoring rookie line.
Huddo to the pies, Thornton and various others. Looks to me like they've got Brett down to play in the stand alone team. Personally would like to see us pick up Another player or two.

jeemak
11-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Little Tom Liberatore comes to mind, hopefully he has matured a lot, we aren't hearing much though on his return and mind set.

It's strange. If we had have shopped Tom around on the trade market we probably would have received good compensation for him!

A player with all of the education under his belt, senior football experience and a couple of years exposure at the highest level still managed to make an absolute goose of himself and the club, by placing himself in a dangerous position.

Cyberdoggie
11-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Seems like clubs have gone down the coaching mentoring rookie line.
Huddo to the pies, Thornton and various others. Looks to me like they've got Brett down to play in the stand alone team. Personally would like to see us pick up Another player or two.

Effectively we have pinched him from Williamstown with eye to our stand alone side.
We are probably already paying him for his mentoring role, now he just has more input.

I think getting good people around the club is imperitive. Pardon the pun but it's a Goodes story for the club. :)

Eastdog
11-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Is anyone concerned that Goodes hasn't had AFL experience before or is it just a case that he has to start somewhere. Maybe it was good in the end we didn't go for Tippett who has a few injury concerns and Prismall.

LostDoggy
11-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I like the move of getting Goodes on our rookie list. He has the ability to play senior footy in round 1 and he fulfills a specific role for us to help shore up our backline if needed. He is obviously very well regarded by the Club and coaching staff given that he already has an off field role with us. We have made the call not to draft Prismall or Bate, which i am more than comfortable with and we obviously decided that, for the overall balance of our list, that another youngster was not required.

I think that the club has done a great job this off season to really set our list up for the future.

LostDoggy
11-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I think the club has made a real statement this year. We only bring in fiercely competitive players who are prepared to work bloody hard to get the job done. No prima donnas, no me first characters. I see Goodes as part of building a better culture at the club. Not unhappy at all, we have brought in 11 players some of them need to be seasoned foot soldiers willing to set an example for the younger kids.

Head. Nailed.

Effectively we have pinched him from Williamstown with eye to our stand alone side.
We are probably already paying him for his mentoring role, now he just has more input.

I think getting good people around the club is imperitive. Pardon the pun but it's a Goodes story for the club. :)

Will he continue to fulfill the development role? And if so, will we have to include that wage under the salary cap? It's an interesting situation, drafting a staff member... Does anybody here with better info than me care to enlighten?

ledge
11-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Head. Nailed.

Will he continue to fulfill the development role? And if so, will we have to include that wage under the salary cap? It's an interesting situation, drafting a staff member... Does anybody here with better info than me care to enlighten?

J pod was a staff member at Geelong before being picked up

Cyberdoggie
11-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Looks like someone who will definately benefit from an afl pre-season.

Has already noticeably bulked up and lost weight, might surprise a few next year.

Axe Man
11-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Plenty of discussion about Garlett missing out but it must also be a bit of a surprise that Josh Toy has ended up without a home. Seems walking out on a contract extension with Gold Coast has backfired rather spectacularly. I wonder if it was the heart condition or whether he simply wasn't considered good enough that has seen us and other clubs pass on him? Would be a shame if a heart condition has ended the career of an apparently highly talented junior footballer that would likely have been a high draft choice in 2010 if not taken by the Gold Coast beforehand.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-11/toy-stays-on-the-shelf)

ledge
11-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Looks like someone who will definately benefit from an afl pre-season.

Has already noticeably bulked up and lost weight, might surprise a few next year.

Yeah I always thought he was a bit chubby, definitely talented my question is why wasn't he ever picked up at a younger age?

Ozza
11-12-2012, 04:04 PM
The VFL players can tend to be a bit 'untapped' - having been only really part time footballers.
AFL clubs are able to identify how to best utilise their strengths, and the professionalism and additional fitness can make that difference to them in making the jump.

Many on this site questioned our pick up of Picken initially and whether he would make the grade. And I know its not apples and apples - as Picko was much younger and more 'untapped'. But speaking to Rocket after Picko had had one season at the dogs and had shown massive improvement - he said that they had done a lot of testing of Liam when he was a Willy player and - for instance - knew he had really good pace - but that it wasn't being utilised at VFL level. Further to that - once they had had him in the club doing pre-season for a while, they realised he had 'quite a few more tricks' than they'd realised.

As I said, its not apples and apples - but gives you an idea of MAYBE, why the thinking about Goodes is where it is now that he is fitter and stronger than before.

mighty_west
11-12-2012, 04:28 PM
J pod was a staff member at Geelong before being picked up

In his prime a few years before being selected by Geelong he continually picked the eyes out of and made AFL listed players around and against him look stupid.

I don't mind the Goodes selection, again, outplays alot of AFL listed players and shows others around him it doesn't matter what age, you can still get selected if you work your butt off.

I'll trust the recruiting guys over anyone with who we select, and just because he's 28, doesn't mean he can't have an impact and give us good service for a few seasons, it's a rookie selection, most are hit & miss anyway.

Bulldog4life
11-12-2012, 04:30 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/collingwood-has-plundered-the-vfl-in-todays-afl-rookie-draft-with-sam-dwyer-now-a-magpie/story-e6frf9io-1226534490837

The Western Bulldogs rookie-listed player welfare manager Brett Goodes, who will turn 29 before the start of next season.

Goodes, the brother of Sydney superstar Adam, won two VFL flags at North Ballarat and has been tearing up the Whitten Oval track.

He beat injury-riddled Bomber Brent Prismall to the final place on Brendan McCartney’s list after travelling with the club to their London pre-season camp, where his character and leadership shone.

The Cowshed
11-12-2012, 05:58 PM
So we give a 28 year old a rookie spot in favour of any number of 18 year olds or in fact any number of candidates younger than 28?

And if he makes it as an AFL standard player we will take him on at 29. Sorry but I consider this utter stupidity.

We have taken late Rookie picks in the past and they have turned into diamonds. Why can we not do this again?

Doesn't say much for our much vaunted coaching structure.

Have to go with EJ here. Can't believe he has been picked up over a promising junior. Good luck to him though. Will have to turn that extra 2 stone of fat into muscle. Thought he was washed up at Williamstown watching some of those games this year. Treies his heart out and obviously hard at it but where's the pace? We've got too many of the same type. Why did they recruit Young and pick Goodes as well?

bornadog
11-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Have to go with EJ here. Can't believe he has been picked up over a promising junior. Good luck to him though. Will have to turn that extra 2 stone of fat into muscle. Thought he was washed up at Williamstown watching some of those games this year. Treies his heart out and obviously hard at it but where's the pace? We've got too many of the same type. Why did they recruit Young and pick Goodes as well?

Baffling pick up, totally goes against what the coach promised us.

dogman
11-12-2012, 06:19 PM

So they can play Murphy forward.

chef
11-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Agree, bit of a wasted pick IMO.

AndrewP6
11-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Not sure about this one at all. Has to be a "culture" or "leadership" decision, but goes against what they said they would do.

The Pie Man
11-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Could the vigor of VFL level footy (i.e lack thereof compared to AFL) have left a fit near 29 YO with the body of a ..26 YO?

Thinking Beard as a reference point

LostDoggy
11-12-2012, 07:02 PM
PRE-SEASON & ROOKIE DRAFT
"Today's selection is a strategic one building on our recent selections of five 18 year olds in the AFL national draft. Brett's inclusion will not only bring a physical boost to our developing team - he also brings an injection of raw competitiveness." - recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple.

I have no problems with this line of reasoning.

And from The Sun

.........after travelling with the club to their London pre-season camp, where his character and leadership shone.

bulldogtragic
11-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Ditto. A 29yo who has a few years left. I suppose it's better than Bate or Prismall. Just.

Maddog37
11-12-2012, 08:11 PM
This pick is a somewhat romantic story which appeals to me as it has the underdog theme but it seems short sighted in some ways. Having said that if his presence adds to the development of the group overall then maybe the collective value will be more than the sum of its parts.

He may also play for 3-4 years which statistically would be a win from that pick.

Good luck to him as he seems like a good fella.(feels like I have said the good fella line for every new face this year.)