PDA

View Full Version : Adam Cooney Flying

Go_Dogs
01-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Scott Gullan - Herald Sun - 1 Dec

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/11/30/1226527/564831-adam-cooney.jpg

THE text message on the way had layers of excitement in it from a Western Bulldogs official watching training.

Running without a limp was the observation. Was it PR spin or were the whispers of an Adam Cooney resurrection actually true?

When Robert Murphy asks about the interview subject as he wanders through the cafe at Whitten Oval, it turns out there is no spin.

"He's flying."

And then adds with a smile: "He's running on top of the ground, as they would say."

Cooney laughs when Murphy's words are relayed to him a few minutes later. "Murph gets a bit excited."

The reason for the excitement is the fact that for the first time in four years Cooney was able to front up to day one of pre-season and, since then, hasn't missed a beat for the past three weeks.

This is all on the back of a ground-breaking procedure he had on his troublesome right knee in Germany just over a month ago.

Cooney is naturally being ultra-cautious, but admits he's feeling the best he has for a long, long, long time.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/westernbulldogs-star-adam-cooney-flying-after-revolutionary-knee-treatment/story-e6frf9jf-1226527567665)

Hotdog60
01-12-2012, 08:41 AM
I think I just had an accident after reading that, with our current group of hard noses and a fit Cooney and Griffen the immediate future doesn't look so bleak. If he can stay on the park and give us 80-90% I think our season must take a upward trend.:D

Mantis
01-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Would love to see Coon back fit & firing... Hope he can be get a good run at it and play the type of footy we know he is capable of on a regular basis.

Let's hope the body continues to allow him to do the hard yards so he is in good nick when the season starts.

GVGjr
01-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Would love to see Coon back fit & firing... Hope he can be get a good run at it and play the type of footy we know he is capable of on a regular basis.

Let's hope the body continues to allow him to do the hard yards so he is in good nick when the season starts.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Cooney can put in a full pre-season. Won't it make a difference to our midfield if we can get him back somewhere near his best?

Dogs 24/7
01-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I'll ask the silly question but who is the player standing alongside of Cooney?

LostDoggy
01-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic that Cooney can put in a full pre-season. Won't it make a difference to our midfield if we can get him back somewhere near his best?

To think if it was up to some on here, that picture would have him in another jumper.
I for one have never lost hope and if anyone has forgotten watch the last quarter of round 18 2005.....He is everything. I'll continue to hold my breath and live in hope.

OLD SCRAGGer
01-12-2012, 10:37 AM

Loks a bit like Mark Austin to me

strebla
01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I got a tingle reading that just hate that I can't read the whole article as I don't have a season pass to the little paper.

Bulldog4life
01-12-2012, 11:03 AM
I got a tingle reading that just hate that I can't read the whole article as I don't have a season pass to the little paper.

Try this link.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/westernbulldogs-star-adam-cooney-flying-after-revolutionary-knee-treatment/story-fnelctok-1226527567665

strebla
01-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Try this link.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/westernbulldogs-star-adam-cooney-flying-after-revolutionary-knee-treatment/story-fnelctok-1226527567665

Thanks for that Bulldog4life I can also feel a bit of a spring in my step after reading that!!

Bulldog4life
01-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for that Bulldog4life I can also feel a bit of a spring in my step after reading that!!

Ditto.:) By the way most of the articles in the HUN appear in news.com.au

Maddog37
01-12-2012, 12:51 PM

Irishman maybe?

always right
01-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Adam Cooney.....potentially recruit of the year.

Dancin' Douggy
01-12-2012, 01:38 PM

Just about everything footy related in the Hun is also on the daily telegraph website. Free.

azabob
01-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Might be Lower?

Greystache
01-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Might be Lower?

Definitely Austin

The Underdog
01-12-2012, 06:08 PM

We're at least a 2 win better team with a fully fit Cooney. Might seem silly to say in a team sport but I think he makes that big a difference to us. Plus he's bloody excellent to watch in full flight.

Dancin' Douggy
01-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Oh God and Jesus and baby Jesus let it be true.

boydogs
01-12-2012, 06:41 PM
We're at least a 2 win better team with a fully fit Cooney. Might seem silly to say in a team sport but I think he makes that big a difference to us. Plus he's bloody excellent to watch in full flight.

Without doing the typical fan forum thing and outdoing each other with optimism, I'll say 3 wins. Just because it's an area where we don't have anyone else that comes close to what he can produce.

EasternWest
01-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Oh God and Jesus and baby Jesus let it be true.

I don't think you can call on two Jeebus'.

Remi Moses
01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Big bonus if he gets anywhere near his best.
The effort he's put in he deserves to.

westdog54
01-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Was I the only one reaching for a hammer to keep the lid firmly nailed down after reading this? It almost seems too good to be true...:D

Dazza
01-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Would be awesome if he can get back near his best. The midfield would have a much better balance.

Would possibly free up Griffen a little as well if coons starts to REALLY do well.

Maddog37
01-12-2012, 08:02 PM
It will be nice to see him have a more positive mindset on the field. To see him lost in self doubt and frustration has been horrible at times.

Topdog
01-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Im certainly not getting my hopes up but good luck Coons

Ghost Dog
01-12-2012, 10:06 PM
So assuming the treatment in Europe went well?

LostDoggy
02-12-2012, 12:00 AM
An interview with Coons about all that is in the "Hun" article is on the club website as well - titled 'Candid Cooney'
Good luck with the knee Coons!

Sedat
02-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Cautious optimism, but we get him right and we have the best 'recruit' in the competition.

Last person to declare himself 'flying' was Neville Bartos. Didn't quite pan out for Nev.

Dancin' Douggy
02-12-2012, 01:53 AM

Yes that made me laugh proper

Ghost Dog
02-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Curse your archival memory Sedat!^_^ Let's dare to dream

boydogs
02-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Anyone think we can make the 8 next year if Cooney gets back to his best?

Our big weakness up forward may look a bit different with another year into the talls, and a couple of draftees, PSD picks and trade-ins contributing.

GVGjr
02-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Our big weakness up forward may look a bit different with another year into the talls, and a couple of draftees, PSD picks and trade-ins contributing.

I think its beyond us but a fit and firing Cooney wins us a couple of games.

chef
02-12-2012, 03:05 PM

That and drafting Tippett(not that it's going to happen) would put us in the ball park.

boydogs
02-12-2012, 03:13 PM
That and drafting Tippett(not that it's going to happen) would put us in the ball park.

Robert Murphy is meant to be going forward again as well.

Dickson Murphy Higgins
Dahlhaus Tippett Giansiracusa

Ghost Dog
02-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Wonder if the coach will persist with him as a forward, to lighten the load?
Murph and Cooney ( Fit ) in the forward line could cause some tricky match ups for opposition coaches.

LostDoggy
02-12-2012, 03:17 PM

A fully fit Adam Cooney 2008 25 games - 311 kicks - 98 marks - 326 handballs - 637 disposals - 23 goals - 65 tackles - 1 Brownlow

Adam is a bit older ( 27 ) but stronger , if he is confident in his patella and that the treatment has fully controlled the swelling and gets his base fitness up to play 4 quarters in the midfield , then a 550+ disposal season would be awesome

Not sure about the making the 8 , if by Round 12 against Collingwood after the bye we are 9th or 10th and our back six is settled then we could well push up into the 8

LostDoggy
02-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Damn. To see Coons at full flight again, I think I'd shed a tear. It's about time we had something go our way against the odds.

immortalmike
03-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Cautious optimism, but we get him right and we have the best 'recruit' in the competition.

Last person to declare himself 'flying' was Neville Bartos. Didn't quite pan out for Nev.

To be fair Coons didn't declare himself flying Murph did.

Also close the thread we're jinxing it.

Ozza
03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
REGENOKINE

Developed by Dr Peter Wehling

HOW IT WORKS

A patient's blood is withdrawn, incubated at a slightly higher temperature ( to "give the blood a fever'') and spun in a centrifuge. At that point, the blood cells produce proteins that decrease inflammation and push cellular growth. Sometimes Dr Wehling adds more anti-inflammatory proteins. Then, he injects the final solution back into the aggravated area. Normally it involves five injections over a five-day period.

I was at an AFL season launch breakfast a couple of years back and was sitting with Andrew Welsh from Essendon - and he explained the treatment he was having on his hip at the time - and it sounded exactly like what is being described here. If it is indeed the same process - I'm surprised Essendon were doing this two years ago for (at least) one of its players - and for us, Cooney had to find out about it surfing the web.

Twodogs
03-12-2012, 12:59 PM

Without doing the typical fan forum thing and outdoing each other with optimism, I'll say 3 wins. Just because it's an area where we don't have anyone else that comes close to what he can produce.

I'm saying 4 wins!!!!

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 03:28 PM
REGENOKINE

HOW IT WORKS

A patient's blood is withdrawn, incubated at a slightly higher temperature ( to "give the blood a fever'') and spun in a centrifuge. At that point, the blood cells produce proteins that decrease inflammation and push cellular growth. Sometimes Dr Wehling adds more anti-inflammatory proteins. Then, he injects the final solution back into the aggravated area. Normally it involves five injections over a five-day period.

I was at an AFL season launch breakfast a couple of years back and was sitting with Andrew Welsh from Essendon - and he explained the treatment he was having on his hip at the time - and it sounded exactly like what is being described here. If it is indeed the same process - I'm surprised Essendon were doing this two years ago for (at least) one of its players - and for us, Cooney had to find out about it surfing the web.

Essendon's resources >>>>>>>>>>>>> our resources

Bulldog4life
03-12-2012, 08:29 PM
REGENOKINE

HOW IT WORKS

According to Coons he is the first AFL player to have this treatment done in Germany. A few players have had some comparable treatment done at Olympic Park in the past.

boydogs
03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
According to Coons he is the first AFL player to have this treatment done in Germany. A few players have had some comparable treatment done at Olympic Park in the past.

Yep in one of the videos on our website.

Gee I love being able to keep track of the goings on now, with the improved member communications.

anfo27
03-12-2012, 11:44 PM
What terrific news this is. After his 2011 season I was convinced Adam was finished but after reading that there sees to be some hope. If Coons can stay on the training track for the whole pre-season pain free, we could see career best form.
4 years of always being in pain would have been a huge mental weight on Adams shoulders. Not knowing if he will ever be able to play pain free would have put him in a horrible mental state. Playing pain free, a couple of years wiser & a desire to make every game count is a recipe for career best form, well heres hoping anyway.
If this happens then this German doctor needs to knighted. Good luck Adam, you're certainly due some.

DragzLS1
04-12-2012, 12:45 AM
This is great news!! Cooney firing! Griffen is a gun but gets too much attention from the opposition.. Now with Cooney looking like he may get back to some of his best I'm starting to feel bad for some of the opposition.. Going to be very exciting to watch ;)

Now I REALLY can't wait for the season to begin!! Good news

Remi Moses
04-12-2012, 02:46 AM
This is great news!! Cooney firing! Griffen is a gun but gets too much attention from the opposition.. Now with Cooney looking like he may get back to some of his best I'm starting to feel bad for some of the opposition.. Going to be very exciting to watch ;)

Now I REALLY can't wait for the season to begin!! Good news

Agree on Griff, if Cooney gets anywhere near dangerous again it takes an enormous load of Ryan's shoulders.

F'scary
14-12-2012, 11:38 PM

I am only a poor robot but I think it is ok.

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

If this is the case then he is eternal and infinite and so can be called on in more than one form because of the doctrine of co-eternality.

Go the Coon Dog. Brownlow #2.

jeemak
15-12-2012, 02:48 AM
I am only a poor robot but I think it is ok.

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

If this is the case then he is eternal and infinite and so can be called on in more than one form because of the doctrine of co-eternality.

Go the Coon Dog. Brownlow #2.

I think we need to enforce Asimov's laws of robotics on you. You're displaying unnerving signs of developing intelligence and independent thought.

F'scary
15-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I think we need to enforce Asimov's laws of robotics on you. You're displaying unnerving signs of developing intelligence and independent thought.

There is also the school of thought that the Gospel of John is influenced by Gnostic philosophy, in which case the Word represents the female principle.

Back to more important matters: Cooney's knee is better.:cool:

BornInDroopSt'54
15-12-2012, 02:32 PM
There is also the school of thought that the Gospel of John is influenced by Gnostic philosophy, in which case the Word represents the female principle.

Back to more important matters: Cooney's knee is better.:cool:

So the word may be female; in which regard, because it gives life? Julia Gillard will be happy that WOOFERS acknowledge this. I am intersted in gender being in more than sex, like European language being gender based e.g. 'table' in Italiano is 'tavola' and feminine.
There is not that much about Cooney flying that shares the female principle except that Cooney in full flight is a thing of beauty, which is in the eye of the Bulldog beholder. Not all football followers would agree, so maybe the female principle can sometimes only be seen by believers. I don't believe in God but you never know, he may smile on the Doggies and Coon soon.

F'scary
16-12-2012, 09:03 PM
So the word may be female; in which regard, because it gives life? Julia Gillard will be happy that WOOFERS acknowledge this. I am intersted in gender being in more than sex, like European language being gender based e.g. 'table' in Italiano is 'tavola' and feminine.
There is not that much about Cooney flying that shares the female principle except that Cooney in full flight is a thing of beauty, which is in the eye of the Bulldog beholder. Not all football followers would agree, so maybe the female principle can sometimes only be seen by believers. I don't believe in God but you never know, he may smile on the Doggies and Coon soon.

In gnosticism, the Priestess annoints the King who becomes the incarnation of the divine. Sex magic is the integral part of her power. John 1.1, which may have gnostic origins, can be understood in graphic terms: sexual pairing, coitus & orgasm.

But Cooney's leg is better. The wasteland is regenerated. The Fisher King is healed.

Maddog37
16-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Wow, just wow!

BornInDroopSt'54
17-12-2012, 01:04 AM
In gnosticism, the Priestess annoints the King who becomes the incarnation of the divine. Sex magic is the integral part of her power. John 1.1, which may have gnostic origins, can be understood in graphic terms: sexual pairing, coitus & orgasm.

But Cooney's leg is better. The wasteland is regenerated. The Fisher King is healed.

Onward ho to the Grail. Good to know good old pagan sex is the power source of it all.