PDA

View Full Version : Herald Sun Digital Pass

The Adelaide Connection
01-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Heya,

Just a heads up for anyone, like myself, who has been frustrated that 2/3 of the online Herald Sun articles are subscriber only, the "Adelaide Now" website contains all of the same articles with no subscription required (just have to scroll down past all the Crows/Port love at the top of the page).

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl

Sorry to anyone that has actually subscribed

mjp
01-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Why were we all happy to buy the paper but no-one wants to pay for an internet subscription of the same stuff?

We all complain about the lack of quality in journalism but then continually look for ways to get out of paying for content.

Rant over.

Maddog37
01-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I would rather pay than be bombarded by ads. Problem is they want us to pay and then bombard us with ads anyway.

The Adelaide Connection
01-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Why were we all happy to buy the paper but no-one wants to pay for an internet subscription of the same stuff?

We all complain about the lack of quality in journalism but then continually look for ways to get out of paying for content.

Rant over.

That might be the case, but why would you pay for something being offered somewhere else for free?

I wouldn't subscribe to the HUN (being a non-Victorian) unless the Bulldogs related content was to increase a fair deal from the drop in the ocean coverage they currently get. Of course I am going to try to find somewhere else to access that one article out of 1000 that actually garners my interest.

There are other ways to make money through internet sites that don't require a subscription. Adelaide Now seems to be doing just fine. I think the HUN should concentrate on increasing Foot traffic to the site (not turning people away) and concentrate their money making efforts on corporate sponsorship, banner ads, the little commercials that pop up first on the videos, the ads that sit interspersed in the article, etc etc More people = more money

GVGjr
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I would rather pay than be bombarded by ads. Problem is they want us to pay and then bombard us with ads anyway.

Are we talking about Foxtel or the papers? :)

mighty_west
01-12-2012, 04:12 PM

Rant over.

If I read as much as I normally do in the Hun on my iPhone I'd go through my 2gb very very quickly add the subscription on top of that, more than happy to purchase the actual paper but definatly have issues with the cost of reading online.

That said, living in Brisbane I'd be happy to be able to purchase the Hun on the day if release and not having to fork out $2 for yesterday's news!

Maddog37
01-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Are we talking about Foxtel or the papers? :)

Don't get me started on Foxtel and their ads!!!! Grrrrrrrr

boydogs
01-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Another trick. Copy the title of the article blocked by the paywall and paste it into google. Click the double arrow to the right of the search result showing the article. Click the image of the article that appears, and the article will appear unblocked.

Remi Moses
01-12-2012, 10:12 PM
That might be the case, but why would you pay for something being offered somewhere else for free?

I wouldn't subscribe to the HUN (being a non-Victorian) unless the Bulldogs related content was to increase a fair deal from the drop in the ocean coverage they currently get. Of course I am going to try to find somewhere else to access that one article out of 1000 that actually garners my interest.

There are other ways to make money through internet sites that don't require a subscription. Adelaide Now seems to be doing just fine. I think the HUN should concentrate on increasing Foot traffic to the site (not turning people away) and concentrate their money making efforts on corporate sponsorship, banner ads, the little commercials that pop up first on the videos, the ads that sit interspersed in the article, etc etc More people = more money

Agree AC, the amount of dross and the advertising rubbish , they'd make enough dough.
Make data useage free?

Eastdog
01-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Don't get me started on Foxtel and their ads!!!! Grrrrrrrr

Foxtel does have a lot of ads and I thought there wouldn't be that much of it. SEN 1116 has a lot of ads too but I those ads keeping the station going.

bornadog
02-12-2012, 03:42 AM
Easy to get around it.

1. Click on the story you want to read.

2. Highlight the URL and copy it.

3. Open Google and paste the copied URL into search and enter.

4. On the next page the story will be in the search - take your cursor to the edge of the URL and the article will show to the right of the page. Click anywhere on the article and you should then be able to see the whole article.

5. If not, press back and repeat step 4 - and hey bingo there is the article.

EasternWest
02-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Easy to get around it.

1. Click on the story you want to read.

2. Highlight the URL and copy it.

3. Open Google and paste the copied URL into search and enter.

4. On the next page the story will be in the search - take your cursor to the edge of the URL and the article will show to the right of the page. Click anywhere on the article and you should then be able to see the whole article.

5. If not, press back and repeat step 4 - and hey bingo there is the article.

Yeah that's what gogriff already said.

Topdog
02-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Foxtel has a lot of ads but they also keep improving their service. The new iPad app Foxtel GO being a prime example.

bornadog
02-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah that's what gogriff already said.

sorry missed that.

immortalmike
02-12-2012, 10:05 PM

Rant over.

Would you like to pay for channels 7, 9, and 10?
The fact is they are asking to be paid twice for the same content. I call bullshit on that especially if I'm able to get better content for free.

Another trick. Copy the title of the article blocked by the paywall and paste it into google. Click the double arrow to the right of the search result showing the article. Click the image of the article that appears, and the article will appear unblocked.

Another way. Just search the copied headline in the google news tab, click the link and it's unblocked.