PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs look set to pounce on Brent Prismall

GVGjr
03-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Looks like Prismall is heading our way

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/12/03/1226528/598390-brent-prismall.jpg

Prismall will join in sessions at Whitten Oval as early as today after spending last week training with Port Adelaide.

It is believed the Power was keen to snare Prismall as a delisted free agent and the deal appeared all but done before the Dogs' interest intensified.

Prismall is now expected to bypass the free agency option and put himself at the mercy of the November 11 pre-season draft, where the Dogs have a pick before the Power.

The fact Prismall has been prepared to pack up and leave Port after only one week would suggest he has been all but guaranteed a spot on the Dogs' list via the pre-season draft.

It has essentially turned into a squabble between two of Prismall's former assistant coaches at Geelong, Brendan McCartney and Ken Hinkley, with McCartney seemingly set to win.

Hinkley, Port's new coach, invited Prismall to train with the Power and the player did not fly to Adelaide until last Sunday night.

Prismall may find it easier to break into Port's midfield, but a massive selling point for the Dogs is the fact he lives in Melbourne's inner west.

The Bombers have also stated they intend to put Prismall back on the senior list via the pre-season draft, but he will not slip that far.

Read More.. (http://dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-look-set-to-pounce-on-brent-prismall-in-pre-season-draft/story-e6frexx0-1226528581424)

Bulldog Revolution
03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Just cant see why?

Doesn't do anything well enough - isn't quick, isnt a great kick, isn't an endurance/clearance machine

The Pie Man
03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Mark Stevens has tweeted that while Prismall looks a lock, Lower still does too. Surely Lower wouldn't last to our 2nd PSD pick?

Ozza
03-12-2012, 10:02 AM
You would hope that Lower is our priority to pick up first. Not sure if I'd prefer Prismall or Bate but we look like getting one or the other - at least.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Ruined my morning. Interesting to see who we pick first knowing the other probably wont last.

G-Mo77
03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Ruined my morning. Interesting to see who we pick first knowing the other probably wont last.

This.

Been pretty upbeat after our draft and the news on Cooney. All of it seems tarnished now.

Bulldog4life
03-12-2012, 01:23 PM

It will be interesting. Port you would think will pick Prisnall if he is available and you would think Lower would get picked up too if we don't pick him first round.

Murphy'sLore
03-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Maybe he has hidden depths.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Not only does he not offer us something we need, he's not even any good.

Ghost Dog
03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
It's strange. Yet I have a lot of faith in our recruiting team. Maybe they know something we don't about the way his training has been managed at Port, the environment, injury or other factors.

Remi Moses
03-12-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't get it either.
Someone offers good character and we have to recruit them.
Two knee recos, and has done little in his career

ledge
03-12-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't get it either.
Someone offers good character and we have to recruit them.
Two knee recos, and has done little in his career

I think Brian royal had knee recos before he even started his career, he wasn't a bad player.

Ghost Dog
03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
The club rejected Menzel because of his knee issues. So would logically assume they have done their due diligence with Primsall.

Sedat
03-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Prismall's not an awful player by any means but he is simply not what we need. The two knee recos, for a player who was one-paced to begin with, doesn't exactly add to his resume in a positive light.

Ghost Dog
03-12-2012, 03:17 PM
This seems like a case of Brendan's choice and the recruiters having to grin and suffer it.

azabob
03-12-2012, 03:18 PM
It's strange. Yet I have a lot of faith in our recruiting team. Maybe they know something we don't about the way his training has been managed at Port, the environment, injury or other factors.

GD, I have a feeling this is a call of the coach rather than the recruiting team.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2012, 03:20 PM
The more I think of this the annoyed I get. If we use our first pick on Prismall we lose a quality recruit in Lower. Dumb if we do this. Surely our first pick must be Lower, if not then this is a massive brain fade. I'd happily risk Port or Essendon snaring him, wont risk Lower. Annoying news.

Pickenitup
03-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Surely we can pick up Lower as a Free Agent before the draft.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Surely we can pick up Lower as a Free Agent before the draft.
I believe that the FA window has closed.

Remi Moses
03-12-2012, 05:15 PM
I think Brian royal had knee recos before he even started his career, he wasn't a bad player.

He wasn't in his mid 20's.
Brian Royal was a very good footballer,and Prismall is only average.
Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't reckon he adds any value to be honest.

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 08:25 PM
From what I've been told the Bombers don't want him, since he went to Port they washed their hands with him. He doesn't want Port at all, he has a newborn and doesn't want to move. Not sure why he went and trained with them at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we took Lower and he was still there for our second pick.

Hotdog60
03-12-2012, 08:33 PM
From what I've been told the Bombers don't want him, since he went to Port they washed their hands with him. He doesn't want Port at all, he has a newborn and doesn't want to move. Not sure why he went and trained with them at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we took Lower and he was still there for our second pick.

We have taken Lower as a free agent today.:)

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 09:02 PM
:
We have taken Lower as a free agent today.:)

:) yep that's what happens when you read Dogs Day first :)

Bulldog Revolution
03-12-2012, 09:49 PM
I've come around to Prismall

The list probably doesn't need another young player, and the more players playing for the club at AFL/VFL level who are absolute professionals can only help us

GVGjr
03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Mark Stevens has tweeted that while Prismall looks a lock, Lower still does too. Surely Lower wouldn't last to our 2nd PSD pick?

I think he will. I don't think anyone will jump over us to get him

bornadog
04-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Really hope this doesn't happen. I am happy with the drafting todate, but would be happier if we took someone like Toy than Prismall.

The Pie Man
04-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I think he will. I don't think anyone will jump over us to get him

Was thinking Freo would take him back - it's worked out in the end.

azabob
04-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Really hope this doesn't happen. I am happy with the drafting todate, but would be happier if we took someone like Toy than Prismall.

Im not sure Toy would offer us any value.
I am comfortable drafting Prismall to help lighten the load on our smaller, younger bodies.

Sedat
04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Toy might be younger but I don't think he has any other claims to a spot on our senior list over Prismall. Unless an acknowledged talent like Garlett is in the frame for our PSD selection, Prismall will be no better or worse than just about anyone else we have in mind for the pick. I'm not in raptures about Prismall being drafted by us but he surely has more runs on the board than the likes of Toy.

G-Mo77
05-12-2012, 12:19 PM
More to this now. Worrying in some aspects, but could be pleasing news.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/longer-dogs-deal-wins-brent-prismall/story-e6frf9jf-1226529999492

PORT Adelaide lost former Bomber Brent Prismall because it refused to offer him a multi-year contract, it has been revealed.

Prismall trained with the Power last week and seemed certain to be taken by the club as a delisted free agent or in the pre-season draft.

However, the 26-year-old midfielder has returned to Melbourne to train with the Western Bulldogs and has fallen off Port's radar.

"We only offered him a one-year deal and he wanted two years," Power football operations manager Peter Rohde said.

"We weren't prepared to make that commitment, so we're looking elsewhere."

New Port coach Ken Hinkley spoke glowingly of Prismall's character and professionalism last week, having worked with him at Geelong.

But with the 61-game on-baller having already had two reconstructions, the Power had doubts about his fitness, resulting in only a short-term contract offer.

Prismall - who is married with a young child - wanted a long term commitment to leave Victoria.

He is now vying for the final spot on the Bulldogs list after they signed former Power defender Nick Lower as a free agent.

Lower was delisted by the Fremantle Dockers last month after 22 games in two years. He played 20 games for Port from 2006-09. Prismall is competing against former Demons forward Matthew Bate and VFL stars Ben Duscher and Brett Goodes for the last place on the Dogs' list.

Prismall has previously played under Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney at Essendon and Geelong and grew up in the western suburb of Werribee, where his parents still live.

It is understood if Prismall isn't drafted by the Dogs, he could join them in a coaching/development role.

2 years for Prismall as part of the coaching staff I can handle. 2 years as a player is lunacy, I'm struggling to find reasons we even bother offering him 1 as a player.

After talking with a few people around Bendigo I want Duscher out of the players vying for a spot. Everyone who has followed the Gold/Bombers rates him pretty highly.

Mofra
05-12-2012, 12:23 PM
After talking with a few people around Bendigo I want Duscher out of the players vying for a spot. Everyone who has followed the Gold/Bombers rates him pretty highly.
Our last Bendigo mature ager worked out pretty well ;)

lemmon
05-12-2012, 12:35 PM
It is understood if Prismall isn't drafted by the Dogs, he could join them in a coaching/development role.[/I]

2 years for Prismall as part of the coaching staff I can handle. 2 years as a player is lunacy, I'm struggling to find reasons we even bother offering him 1 as a player.

Agree with all you said but I'm not even sure of his worth in a coaching role? Yeah he made it to the big time but what else does he offer? 60 odd games and serviceable isn't exactly a recipe for huge amounts of knowledge

Mofra
05-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Agree with all you said but I'm not even sure of his worth in a coaching role? Yeah he made it to the big time but what else does he offer? 60 odd games and serviceable isn't exactly a recipe for huge amounts of knowledge
Our head coach didn't play AFL at all.

Over 50% of NFL coaches never made it to the big leagues.

lemmon
05-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Our head coach didn't play AFL at all.

Over 50% of NFL coaches never made it to the big leagues.

But they weren't 27 with relatively little football experience. I don't see what he could add as a coach when experience and knowledge wise he is in pretty much the same position as the blokes he would be expected to improve.

G-Mo77
05-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Honestly I have no idea it was quoted as a development role so I'd assume he'd have a playing role at Willy while working with our kids on the field.

I'd prefer that than a spot clogged on our list for 2 seasons.

The Underdog
05-12-2012, 04:33 PM
But they weren't 27 with relatively little football experience. I don't see what he could add as a coach when experience and knowledge wise he is in pretty much the same position as the blokes he would be expected to improve.

He's spent nearly 10 years in a professional football environment, plenty of that watching on from the sidelines possibly from the coaches box. If he's smart he has probably picked up a few things. Not saying it's a good idea but not discounting it as a bad one automatically.

LostDoggy
05-12-2012, 05:05 PM

It says in a coaching/development role. That's pretty broad in terms of responsibilities and experience required. Everybody has to start their coaching career somewhere, and I'd be happy for that place to be the Whitten Oval.

lemmon
05-12-2012, 05:15 PM
It says in a coaching/development role. That's pretty broad in terms of responsibilities and experience required. Everybody has to start their coaching career somewhere, and I'd be happy for that place to be the Whitten Oval.

Definitely a fair point and the extra money going into the footy department can only be a good thing. My concern is just that we would be paying the guy a wage and I'd expect him to contribute equitably...Our own Macca did his time down at Ocean Grove before making the big time.

And I have never met the bloke so who knows, may be the next coming of Norm Smith

jeemak
06-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Definitely a fair point and the extra money going into the footy department can only be a good thing. My concern is just that we would be paying the guy a wage and I'd expect him to contribute equitably...Our own Macca did his time down at Ocean Grove before making the big time.

And I have never met the bloke so who knows, may be the next coming of Norm Smith

You might argue that our man Macca got his opportunity on the back of senior coaching at the lower grades, in lieu of not having a senior AFL playing career under his belt that spanned nine years.

Going into a development role after a nine year career isn't that much of a stretch.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-12-2012, 11:14 AM

I suspect you're playing the devil's advocate somewhat with this one. Natural teachers and coaches, even young ones at 27 can and do have different insights and ability to instruct and influence to others.
They walk amongst us.
It must be that Prismal is one of them.
I know that you could argue that Jesus Christ hadn't done much by the time he was 27 but I would counter that there are reasonable politicians this age and John Keats was dead by this age.
The parallels with Prismal are obvious.:-|

azabob
02-04-2016, 01:33 PM
ABC Grandstand (Gerard Whatley) has sat down for a feature interview with Brent Primal.

Its on now, I assume it will also be on the ABC Grandstand website later today.

bornadog
02-04-2016, 02:59 PM
ABC Grandstand (Gerard Whatley) has sat down for a feature interview with Brent Primal.

Its on now, I assume it will also be on the ABC Grandstand website later today.

I only heard half of it but a very good interview. Some details in next post.

GVGjr
02-04-2016, 02:59 PM
It's online now

bornadog
02-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Ex-Essendon player Brent Prismall facing reality of being regarded as a 'drug cheat' (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-02/ex-essendon-player-brent-prismall-speaks-out-about-doping-ban/7294510?section=sport)

By (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-02/ex-essendon-player-brent-prismall-speaks-out-about-doping-ban/7294510?section=sport)Gerard Whateley (http://www.abc.net.au/news/gerard--whateley/4320398)

Former Essendon player Brent Prismall says he believes the banned drug Thymosin Beta 4 (TB4) was indeed part of the disgraced supplements program that has left him and 33 teammates serving doping bans.

Key points:

Prismall does not know what he was injected with during the Essendon supplements program

Says it was possible TB4 was in Stephen Dank's possession at the club
Calls for Essendon to provide more support to banned player

In a raw and revealing interview with Grandstand AFL's The Saturday Agenda, Prismall:

faced the reality of being regarded as a drug cheat;concluded TB4 was in Stephen Dank's possession at the club;
gave a first-hand account of how the defence collapsed before the Court of Arbitration for Sport;
and lamented the lack of support from Essendon for those who were no longer employed by the club

The 29-year-old is serving a season-long doping suspension that has left him unemployed and deeply affected. He consulted with numerous other banned players before speaking to the ABC.

"I got taught from a young age not to be a cheat from my parents," Prismall said.

"It's hard to deal with. Just the way it's all played out. I find it hard not to be embarrassed by it. It's hard to take when you are called a drug cheat and I've been called that. It's not ideal, but facts are facts. I'm not working, I'm not playing footy this year and that's the reason why."

Prismall does not know what he was injected with during his participation in the Essendon supplements program, which began for him late in 2011 while recovering from injury.

"No I don't, no. My biggest stress is the fact you can't give any clarity on what you've been given," he said.

"That's for my wife as well. She's clearly curious about it. My parents as well. They scratch their heads and wonder 'How do you not know what you've been given?' I don't know what I've been given. There's not a day that goes by that I don't actually think about it in some way shape or form."

What he was told by Essendon's sports science staff at the time, he now knows not to be true.

"Whether I was administered TB4, I'm serving a ban for it so the powers above think that I have," he said.

Q: Is it possible that you were?
Prismall: It's possible, yeah. I don't think I did, but it is possible.
Q: Are you now of the understanding that Dank had Thymosin Beta 4 at Essendon?
Prismall: From what I know, yes, he quite possibly would have had it. I'm serving a ban for taking it. I've lost my job because of it. I've lost my footy career because of it. Lost a whole heap of other things, possibly some respect within footy circles. It does trouble me, yes.
'We were guinea pigs in all this'

Prismall has followed his cases and his fate in forensic detail.

He has read with horror the emails between Stephen Dank and Dean Robinson agreeing to disguise the true nature of the supplements being administered by referring to them as "vitamin injections and amino acids".

"I think there's a massive level of deception by those people," Prismall concluded.

"It certainly feels like we were guinea pigs in all this. Every time I got an injection I asked what it was. I'm not sure what more there is for me to do in that situation."

Prismall was in his fourth year with the Bombers, having previously played with Geelong. He was battling injury, scratching and clawing to keep his place on the list. He did not play a senior game in 2012 and was then delisted.

He was one of the players called in November to give evidence at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) hearing.

He recalled it as a stressful day in an intimidating atmosphere. As he sat in the Sydney hearing, WADA detailed its case for a guilty finding and reality hit Prismall hard.

"I thought the case was in trouble. It highlighted to me the fact that it was real and that it was a possibility that I could be missing some football," he said.

'I wasn't trying to hide anything at all'

With an unmistakable sense that he was on trial, Prismall took the stand.

"I was shown my Doping Control Form from a drug test I did in December 2011. I didn't have Thymosin on there," he said.

"I was asked why I didn't. And I couldn't answer it. I said: 'I'm not sure why.' I'm still not sure why. I wasn't trying to hide anything at all. I just didn't write it down. I'm clearly serving a ban and that's part of the reason why."

This was common across each player called and the CAS judges used it as a central thread in the guilty verdict.

The Doping Control Forms of each player featured more than one set of handwriting, but none declared the substance Thymosin.
Asked if the players knew enough not to reveal its use in the program, Prismall denied a conspiracy of silence.

"I'm smart enough to know that it looks like that. But I know there were no players that were concealing that information because we were trying to hide it," he said.

'My boots are still sitting in my locker'

Despite the public pledges from Essendon to support the banned 34, Prismall spoke for those no longer in the club's employ who feel a sense of abandonment.

"I think we're in this position because of the football club. I understand that Essendon's priorities are with the players that they still employ, but given the circumstances I think they could have done more along the way," he said.

"I get a phone call off someone from time to time, but it's a pretty vague sort of phone call, it's of no substance."

I don't feel defeated, but I certainly feel deflated from it. At a point in time I'll be able to move on. That's not right now.
Brent Prismall
When he and Stewart Crameri sought outside legal representation, Essendon refused to continue to cover their costs.

The issue of compensation is particularly acute for the father-of-two, who currently has no income and is looking for work.

There is an abandoned pair of footy boots in a locker at the Western Bulldogs VFL club rooms which speaks to the abruptness of Prismall's circumstance.

He was to have spent the season playing alongside the young Dogs at Footscray, while working as a welfare officer within the AFL club.

"The finding came down on the Tuesday. I had training that night. Obviously I didn't go. I haven't had a chance to speak to any of my VFL teammates face to face. My boots are still sitting in my locker. Things like that are quite raw," Prismall said.

"I don't feel defeated, but I certainly feel deflated from it. At a point in time I'll be able to move on. That's not right now."

AUDIO HERE (https://soundcloud.com/abc_grandstand/brent-prismall-on-the-saturday-agenda)