PDA

View Full Version : Ben Graham

ledge
03-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Has just been appointed to the club as a strategic manager and will oversee things like the move to a stand alone club in the VFL , apparently another person with great leadership and respect.

Ozza
03-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Good to hear another set of hands are on deck. Everytime I heard Ben interviewed, he comes across as a bright bloke - and he obviously brings a different perspective along with him having played both NFL and AFL.

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Wow we are really assembling a good off field team down there. The next key is to show some improvement on field which will lead to more bums on seats and some belief back into supporters minds.

Sedat
03-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Good to hear another set of hands are on deck.
Agreed, you'll never hear a complaint from me about continued investment into out footy dept. Shame we didn't have the same mindset a few years ago.

ledge
03-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Agreed, you'll never hear a complaint from me about continued investment into out footy dept. Shame we didn't have the same mindset a few years ago.

Didn't have the money and needed it for the debt , from what I have heard Peter Gordon has decided to Put more money into this department and I believe the AFL also gave us money on the proviso we used it on the footy department

Twodogs
03-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I wouldnt mind getting a few of these blokes on the field!:D

Sedat
03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Didn't have the money and needed it for the debt , from what I have heard Peter Gordon has decided to Put more money into this department and I believe the AFL also gave us money on the proviso we used it on the footy department
Precisely my point. Additional money for the footy dept was just as available 3-4 years ago as it is today. Unfortunately the powers that be weren't, shall we say, as generous with their additional footy dept funding back then. That additional funding might have been handy, seeing as we were a kick away from a GF and were very competitive in 2 other PF's in that era.

Cyberdoggie
03-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Precisely my point. Additional money for the footy dept was just as available 3-4 years ago as it is today. Unfortunately the powers that be weren't, shall we say, as generous with their additional footy dept funding back then. That additional funding might have been handy, seeing as we were a kick away from a GF and were very competitive in 2 other PF's in that era.

Are you saying the people in charge of the club should only be there if they are prepared to financially back it with their own cash?

The club should be financially viable by themselves without having to rely on the generosity of others to dig them out of a hole all the time.

Sedat
03-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Are you saying the people in charge of the club should only be there if they are prepared to financially back it with their own cash?

The club should be financially viable by themselves without having to rely on the generosity of others to dig them out of a hole all the time.
Not at all. It's just nice to see some long overdue investment into our footy dept, you know seeing as we are a footy club first and foremost. A similar mindset would have been nice to see when were were knee deep in contention.

Anyway welcome to the club Benny.

LongWait
03-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Not at all. It's just nice to see some long overdue investment into our footy dept, you know seeing as we are a footy club first and foremost. A similar mindset would have been nice to see when were were knee deep in contention.

Anyway welcome to the club Benny.

The people who recently put money into the Football Department weren't anywhere to be seen two or three years ago.

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 01:23 PM

That is incorrect.

The fact that more money is being put into the footy department is a direct result of the extra funding - both from the AFL and through Gordon

ledge
03-12-2012, 02:12 PM

No the money wasn't but is now

Remi Moses
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
New theme song.
"We are the Dogs, the greatest team of all"
He pulled out the biggest kick at the W/O I've seen back in the mid 90's.

Sedat
03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
New theme song.
Was there that day and standing right behind him - absolutely massive kick. They smashed us by about 10-12 goals that day from memory.

Sedat
03-12-2012, 03:00 PM
That is incorrect.

The fact that more money is being put into the footy department is a direct result of the extra funding - both from the AFL and through Gordon
Thanks EJ and others, I stand corrected.

So am I to assume that (putting the AFL's additional contributions to one side) only Gordon can personally contribute to our footy dept funding but that Smorgon was somehow incapable of doing so in the past??

Scraggers
03-12-2012, 03:30 PM
New theme song.

No offense meant here, but it is starting to feel a little bit like the Geelong Bulldogs. I am extremely happy that we are bringing in outside experience, particularly winning experience. But does it all have to come from the one club ?? I would prefer some more diversity !!

But as I started with, no offense meant ... Welcome Ben !

LongWait
03-12-2012, 03:31 PM

So am I to assume that (putting the AFL's additional contributions to one side) only Gordon can personally contribute to our footy dept funding but that Smorgon was somehow incapable of doing so in the past??

Smorgon has contributed financially to the club over a long period.

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 03:33 PM

It's gone mate, it's the past. We all know the Dogs have not always done things the best way, hell, it's been that way for >50 years, but the important thing is we're doing it now, time to look forward.

I'm rapt with this appointment. He played NFL, and played in a Super Bowl, which in terms of pressure and professionalism makes the AFL Grand Final look like the local kids playing kick to kick. I don't care what else he does, that's enough for his salary right there.

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Putting AFL's contribution aside? You speak like it is an insignificant amount.

Let me remind you of the $5.5M debt and the club's commitments to players' salaries and existing footy department costs.

It is an easy task to sit on the outside and criticise every board and management decision. The fact is that more skilled managers than, may I suggest, you and I, have grappled with major financial contraints over a number of years just to keep the club afloat.

You are quickly gaining a reputation for teeing off at every decision, football and non-football, made by the club. Whilst it would be fair to say that, with the benefit of hindsight, some decisions might have been better thought through, the last ten years, in particular, have seen the club managed in a sound manner in the best interests of all stakeholders.

Sedat
03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
We all know the Dogs have not always done things the best way, hell, it's been that way for >50 years, but the important thing is we're doing it now, time to look forward.

I'm rapt with this appointment. He played NFL, and played in a Super Bowl, which in terms of pressure and professionalism makes the AFL Grand Final look like the local kids playing kick to kick. I don't care what else he does, that's enough for his salary right there.
Agree wholeheartedly. Like I said, excellent appointment and terrific to see BMac is getting fantastic support from the club in the critical area of footy dept expenditure. Investing in our core business is nothing but a positive as far as I'm concerned.

Topdog
03-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Wow we are really assembling a good off field team down there..

Im glad we are spending more on the footy department but what has Graham done to get you so excited about his appointment?

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Im glad we are spending more on the footy department but what has Graham done to get you so excited about his appointment?

Played in the NFL. Here's some research food: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Graham_(football_player)

AndrewP6
03-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Good to hear more money going into the footy dept. but seriously, another Geelong person? Yeah, he's been OS, so what. it's the coming of the West Geelong Bullcats, as far as I'm concerned.

Bulldog4life
03-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Good to hear more money going into the footy dept. but seriously, another Geelong person? Yeah, he's been OS, so what. it's the coming of the West Geelong Bullcats, as far as I'm concerned.

Bad day?

AndrewP6
03-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Bad day?

No,not really, just don't like the over saturation of Geelong folk at our club. There's always going to be a few when a new coach comes in, but I think it's gone way too far.

Hotdog60
03-12-2012, 08:46 PM
No,not really, just don't like the over saturation of Geelong folk at our club. There's always going to be a few when a new coach comes in, but I think it's gone way too far.

I can understand what your feeling but if they come with a premiership within the next couple of years I'm all for it.

boydogs
03-12-2012, 11:02 PM

Make that the West Geelong Bombercats, with all the Essendon & Bendigo players we've brought in.

I don't mind it, McCartney & Shannon Grant are simply using their contacts to pick good people from other environments out and bring them across.

bornadog
04-12-2012, 03:28 AM
The football department goes from strength to strength.

Bulldog Revolution
04-12-2012, 08:08 AM
The football department goes from strength to strength.

Yes, its definitely heading in the right direction isn't it

Ozza
04-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Would McCartney have even crossed paths with Ben Graham during his time at Geelong?

I don't think Ben is a 'Geelong Person' in the way that some of the other appointments are.

In any case - all of the new staff come with pretty good credentials and if not picked up by us - would have been hired by another club.

I dare say Scarlett and Mooney would have found a job somewhere pretty quickly. As would Ben Graham - and this is not a role they've just jumped into with Grahm, he was doing some planning work with the club at the start of the year.

Good to hear Brad Johnson is due to start working at the club soon. Not because he's a bulldog- because of his astute credentials.

LostDoggy
04-12-2012, 10:27 AM

They just won 3 flags in 5 years. Bring the whole bloody club across, for all I care. Time to do something different.

Sedat
04-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't think Ben is a 'Geelong Person' in the way that some of the other appointments are.
Agree 100%. Some people see his experience in the NFL as a negative but surely he brings to the table unique learnings and understandings from a competition that is still light years ahead of the AFL in terms of professionalism. Nothing but a positive appointment as far as I'm concerned.

Adelaide brought in Sanderson and Milburn and went from bottom 4 to top 4 in 12 months - I haven't heard any criticism that they have an overly 'Geelong-centric' perspective.

Topdog
04-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Played in the NFL. Here's some research food: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Graham_(football_player)

Yes I know he played as a punter in the NFL where he taught the American public the word "mongrel punt". My question was what has Ben Graham done to get us excited about his appointment as strategic manager?

LongWait
04-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Yes I know he played as a punter in the NFL where he taught the American public the word "mongrel punt". My question was what has Ben Graham done to get us excited about his appointment as strategic manager?

If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Perhaps rather than ask a rhetorical question, you should tell us why you don't think he is a good appointment. I think those who like the appointment have been pretty clear about their reasons.

Ozza
04-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Topdog, I think Ben Graham is a bright bloke who has not only captained an AFL side - but who has been involved in one of the largest sporting industries in the world over a long period.

His time as a captain of an AFL club would have seen him gather a balanced view of both the playing side, and also the club administration/marketing side. Whereas in the NFL - he would have seen first hand, the day to day operations of a huge organisation.

Most of the big clubs invest time and resources into observing the practice of overseas organisations, to see how they can grow their brand and also increase their professionalism. I think many on here are happy to see someone with experience from outside of Australian sport, brought into the club.

Remi Moses
04-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Agree 100%. Some people see his experience in the NFL as a negative but surely he brings to the table unique learnings and understandings from a competition that is still light years ahead of the AFL in terms of professionalism. Nothing but a positive appointment as far as I'm concerned.

Adelaide brought in Sanderson and Milburn and went from bottom 4 to top 4 in 12 months - I haven't heard any criticism that they have an overly 'Geelong-centric' perspective.

Exactly right. I was only joking with my retort, very wise bringing in someone like Graham.
Most clubs in all sports look outside the box to gain knowledge.
Craig Bellamy for one is always picking the brain of AfL coaches , sits in the box also.
Ange ( not going to attempt it) Melbourne Victory coach has been down at our club also.

Bulldog4life
04-12-2012, 03:36 PM

Heard him on SEN. Very enthusiastic and is going to be also developing our players as well as the admin role.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-12-2012, 05:22 PM
No offense meant here, but it is starting to feel a little bit like the Geelong Bulldogs. I am extremely happy that we are bringing in outside experience, particularly winning experience. But does it all have to come from the one club ?? I would prefer some more diversity !!

But as I started with, no offense meant ... Welcome Ben !

We are so lucky to have access to the skills and experience of the likes of Graham, King, Mooney and Scarlett. The fact that they were all part of the one club should not detract from that. Ok if we could get the same skills from a more varied breeding ground all the better but that's not acknowledging how great it is to have them as they are IMHO. To worry about them being from the one club (as you say a premiership club) is just anxiety (in which I have experience!) and anxiety is largely useless.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-12-2012, 05:32 PM
I wouldnt mind getting a few of these blokes on the field!:D

Maybe Graham can turn a Roughie into a booming kick who makes it into the NBL after winning three pemierships with the Bulldogs.

Pedro Sanchez
04-12-2012, 08:32 PM
They just won 3 flags in 5 years. Bring the whole bloody club across, for all I care. Time to do something different.

Boom. Right on the money in my book.

LostDoggy
04-12-2012, 09:59 PM
We didn't hire Cameron due to the perception of nepotism. I think we need to get over perceptions and just focus on the individual and the value they bring.

boydogs
05-12-2012, 12:12 AM
We didn't hire Cameron due to the perception of nepotism. I think we need to get over perceptions and just focus on the individual and the value they bring.

The argument is we're not focusing on the individual, rather the team they are from. There has definitely been a run on poaching Geelong & Collingwood ex-players and staff the last couple of years across the AFL

Topdog
05-12-2012, 06:23 AM
If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Perhaps rather than ask a rhetorical question, you should tell us why you don't think he is a good appointment. I think those who like the appointment have been pretty clear about their reasons.

Why do you get so defensive? I never said he was a bad appointment. I never even implied it. I simply asked why people were so excited and saying he played NFL is IMO not a very good reason. Others since (and actually Sedat just before my post) have explained their feelings well but prior no one had been clear at all.

I dont know enough about Graham as a person to pre-judge if he will be good for the position.

LostDoggy
05-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Probably nothing at all, as he's just been appointed. Let's revisit this space in 2 years.

LongWait
05-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Why do you get so defensive? I never said he was a bad appointment. I never even implied it. I simply asked why people were so excited and saying he played NFL is IMO not a very good reason. Others since (and actually Sedat just before my post) have explained their feelings well but prior no one had been clear at all.

I dont know enough about Graham as a person to pre-judge if he will be good for the position.

I'm not defensive - I didn't express an opinion about the appointment. You however, twice posted asking essentially the same negative question after others had made their case that they were happy with the appointment.

Perhaps I'm sick of some on here who constantly seek to rain on the club's parade at every opportunity. The atmosphere has been much, much better of late and I'd hate to see the mindless negativity creep back in.

ledge
05-12-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm not defensive - I didn't express an opinion about the appointment. You however, twice posted asking essentially the same negative question after others had made their case that they were happy with the appointment.

Perhaps I'm sick of some on here who constantly seek to rain on the club's parade at every opportunity. The atmosphere has been much, much better of late and I'd hate to see the mindless negativity creep back in.

It's not a negative question all he is asking is what experience does Ben bring as a strategic operations manager, being an NFL kicker or playing AFL isn't really a reason to get the job, he must have some other credentials and if sonwhat are they that relate to the position he has been given?

SlimPickens
05-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I suggest people watch the short video on the bulldogs website to get an understanding of the role the Ben will be doing.

It appears to be quite a broad spectrum of things including the set up of our stand alone VFL, some skills coaching(kicking/disposal efficiency), some work with the coaches and also lighting the load on James Fantasia.

He spoke very well and I think the role seems suited to him as his perspective is not only be from an AFL background but another elite/professional sporting league. Will watch on with interest.Good luck to him

LostDoggy
05-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Given he was captain and he changed codes successfully, it seems he might be a risk taker and systems thinker. A systems thinker works on the system and not just in it. Football is ever evolving and thinking outside the square should be encouraged, I would have thought.

The Underdog
05-12-2012, 07:15 PM

Maybe he just didn't interview as well as McCartney. It's fairly insulting to the panel to suggest that they didn't choose who they thought was the best person for the job for such a facile reason.

The Underdog
05-12-2012, 10:58 PM
According to the interview on the website, two elements of his role are helping take some of the load off Fantasia and a day a week helping the players work on kicking efficiency. Can't argue with the need for either of those.

boydogs
05-12-2012, 11:49 PM
According to the interview on the website, two elements of his role are helping take some of the load off Fantasia and a day a week helping the players work on kicking efficiency. Can't argue with the need for either of those.

Especially with the VFL side coming in.