PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Cash

LostDoggy
07-12-2012, 01:46 PM
The former finance officer with the Western Bulldogs football club has been jailed for fleecing it of more than $600,000.

Jason David Hucker, 30, stole money from the club on an almost daily basis for two years until November, 2010.

The County Court today heard that Hucker stole cash takings from the Whitten Oval merchandise store and off-site game-day stores.

Advertisement Prosecutor Michael Hannan said earlier that Hucker also dishonestly obtained a financial advantage by deception through unauthorised credit reversals.

Mr Hannan told Judge Irene Lawson that Hucker was a heavy gambler and had four telephone betting accounts and accounts with other agencies.

Hucker, who was sacked by the club in 2010, earlier pleaded guilty to two charges of theft and a deception-related offence.

In her sentencing remarks this morning, Judge Lawson told Hucker he had caused great personal trauma to the club and his co-workers who were subjected to internal and police investigations because of his initial denials.

Judge Lawson said his serious offending had many aggravating features, including its gross breach of trust and that “not one cent of the money has been repaid to the club”.

She noted it was a not-for-profit organisation and that Hucker's offending had a component of greed as he maintained a lifestyle where much of the money went on horse ownership, air fares, a car and living expenses.

In mitigation, Judge Lawson noted Hucker's age, lack of previous criminal history and the affect of the sudden death of a sister had had on him.

She noted his history of compulsive gambling since early adolescence and that after his sister's death, his gambling “spiralled out of control” as a form of escape.

A psychiatrist found that Hucker was “tormented” by his actions but was “self-deluded” that he could repay the money.

A forensic psychologist said Hucker had a multi faceted anxiety disorder and had used gambling as “an escape valve” to escape stress and the difficulties from the loss of a long-term partner.

Judge Lawson agreed to reduce his moral culpability to an extent because both experts agreed that jail would aggravate his mental health conditions, but she said in “no way does it excuse your offending”.

She also referred to defence lawyer Anthony Brand's plea submission about the prevalence of gambling in society but she told Hucker he was aware that what he was doing was wrong and so must bear responsibility for his actions.

Judge Lawson agreed with Mr Brand's submission that a longer than normal parole period be imposed and she assessed his prospects of rehabilitation as good.

Hucker was jailed for four years and ordered to serve a minimum of two years and six months.

Judge Lawson also made a compensation order that he pay the club $604,840.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/doggies-stripped-of-600000-by-deluded-finance-officer-20121207-2azkb.html#ixzz2EKIrcdwq

LostDoggy
07-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I see bankruptcy for this guy. We wont see a cent.

Internal controls and research before emplyment must have been laciking if he's always been a problem gambler.

chef
07-12-2012, 02:01 PM
What a prick.

Twodogs
07-12-2012, 02:11 PM
I see bankruptcy for this guy. We wont see a cent.

Internal controls and research before emplyment must have been laciking if he's always been a problem gambler.

Addicts are pretty good at leading two lives. Tricking people becomes second nature because addicts lie to themselves all the time. If you can delude yourself then it's a doddle to do it to others.

Dont get me wrong, I'd like to see the guy hung up by his testicles and used as a piñata. 800 grand could be the difference between survival or going under for the club. I just know addicts and how they operate.

Axe Man
07-12-2012, 02:50 PM
The internal controls must have been severely lacking if this guy could pull $300k of cash out of merchandise sales a year. Not sure of the merchandise turnover but $300k would have to be a significant percentage.

Doc26
07-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Of all the Club's to rip off. If it's not hard enough for us to raise a dollar to simply exist this blighter elects to take us to the cleaners and during a period where we were having a serious tilt at an elusive flag. His actions affect careers, Club viability and the long standing dreams of thousands. Selfish prat.

Murphy'sLore
07-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Why couldn't he have ripped off bloody Collingwood?

Sad but despicable.

KT31
07-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Got of lightly and should have been made an example of.
A harder punishment might have made another employee thinking about ripping off their employer think again.
To many are blaming addictions instead of taking on the blame.
Should be tied to tackle bag at training for the next five seasons.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-12-2012, 04:23 PM
I thought I recalled Garlick saying back when the theft was discovered, that insurance covered the loss.
Now they are seeming to indicate that we are $600k out of pocket.
What is true?

Bulldog4life
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
I thought I recalled Garlick saying back when the theft was discovered, that insurance covered the loss.
Now they are seeming to indicate that we are $600k out of pocket.
What is true?

According to newspaper report today "Western Bulldogs CEO Simon Garlick told Fairfax Media this afternoon that the club was satisfied with the sentence and looked forward to putting the matter behind it.

Mr Garlick also said that most of the money had been recovered through insurance".

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/doggies-stripped-of-600000-by-deluded-finance-officer-20121207-2azkb.html#ixzz2ELRKSib3

Eastdog
07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
According to newspaper report today "Western Bulldogs CEO Simon Garlick told Fairfax Media this afternoon that the club was satisfied with the sentence and looked forward to putting the matter behind it.

Mr Garlick also said that most of the money had been recovered through insurance".

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/doggies-stripped-of-600000-by-deluded-finance-officer-20121207-2azkb.html#ixzz2ELRKSib3

That's good to hear.

Go_Dogs
07-12-2012, 07:52 PM
That's good to hear.

Agreed, because as MRM said I wouldn't like our chances of recovering from the debtor.

boydogs
07-12-2012, 11:17 PM
The internal controls must have been severely lacking if this guy could pull $300k of cash out of merchandise sales a year. Not sure of the merchandise turnover but $300k would have to be a significant percentage.

Prince Imperial says every year the takings from merchandise are ridiculously low, this seems to be pre-November 2010 though

MrMahatma
08-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Probably. But then again, the head of digital fraud at LloydsTSB in the UK ripped that bank off for millions of quid.

If you know the internal controls, you can sometimes beat them.

Twodogs
08-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Probably. But then again, the head of digital fraud at LloydsTSB in the UK ripped that bank off for millions of quid.

If you know the internal controls, you can sometimes beat them.

Yep. It's remarkably easy to get someone to trust you if it sounds like you know what you are talking about. If you work in a big organisation and it seems like you have your little corner under control then management look at it as one less thing they have to worry about.

KT31
09-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Yep. It's remarkably easy to get someone to trust you if it sounds like you know what you are talking about. If you work in a big organisation and it seems like you have your little corner under control then management look at it as one less thing they have to worry about.

Thing that gets me is these people steal hundreds of thousands of dollars, sometimes millions to get a buzz to win a couple of thousand.
Sickness yes, not right in the head - "certianly"

LostDoggy
10-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Got of lightly and should have been made an example of.
A harder punishment might have made another employee thinking about ripping off their employer think again.
To many are blaming addictions instead of taking on the blame.
Should be tied to tackle bag at training for the next five seasons.

It's no small thing, losing your freedom for 4 years. There are child molesters that have received lighter sentences than that.

KT31
10-12-2012, 10:27 AM
It's no small thing, losing your freedom for 4 years. There are child molesters that have received lighter sentences than that.

Not sure I would be allowed to post the punishment I would hand out to them.