PDA

View Full Version : Young Dog sinks teeth into defensive role

divvydan
09-12-2012, 10:02 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/273111-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

TWO-HUNDRED-game players with proven finals records are difficult to replace, but that won't stop Tom Young from trying.

Young, the former Collingwood fringe player who was recently traded to the Western Bulldogs, has set his sights on filling the void left by defender Ryan Hargrave, who retired at the end of last season after 203 games.

The Bulldogs coaching staff have challenged the 20-year-old to find his niche at half-back, where Hargrave was such a valued performer over the past decade.

Asked if he aspired to become the kind of player that typified Hargrave at his best – courageous, strong in one-on-one contests and a dashing rebounder – Young was emphatic.

"Definitely," he told AFL.com.au. "That sounds pretty good. Couldn't have said it better myself. I'd love to be able to play that kind of role. Beat my man, help out my teammates, give some run to the team. I've got a lot of work to do first, though."

Read More (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-09/young-dog-hungry)

GVGjr
09-12-2012, 10:11 PM
He's got his work cut out for him to cover Hargrave but I think he will be given some chances to impress. We have a bit of a logjam of 190cm type defenders so it will be interesting to see who gets the games.

EasternWest
10-12-2012, 04:39 PM
He's got his work cut out for him to cover Hargrave but I think he will be given some chances to impress. We have a bit of a logjam of 190cm type defenders so it will be interesting to see who gets the games.

Do you know if he plays as a "big" 190? I hated seeing Hargrave on bigger guys - he was a free kick waiting to happen. But on smaller, quick guys he was terrific. Will Tom go the other way? He looks bulkier than Ryan.

westdog54
10-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Do you know if he plays as a "big" 190? I hated seeing Hargrave on bigger guys - he was a free kick waiting to happen. But on smaller, quick guys he was terrific. Will Tom go the other way? He looks bulkier than Ryan.

Aren't there question marks over Tom's disposal? He's got a hell of a lot of work cut out if we've got him pegged as Shaggy's successor.

GVGjr
10-12-2012, 07:57 PM

I'm not sure but I don't think he is going to be able to deal with the monster forwards anyway.

AndrewP6
10-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Aren't there question marks over Tom's disposal? He's got a hell of a lot of work cut out if we've got him pegged as Shaggy's successor.

That's the danger of new draftees at this time of year- they're built up as a "replacement" for someone, and we don't even know if he'll be in the side Round 1!

Lets see if he can get a game before he's anointed. Same goes for all he new blokes.

Bulldog4life
10-12-2012, 08:20 PM
That's the danger of new draftees at this time of year- they're built up as a "replacement" for someone, and we don't even know if he'll be in the side Round 1!

Lets see if he can get a game before he's anointed. Same goes for all he new blokes.

Don't think there is anything wrong with the Coach giving something for Tommy to strive for. That's what Macca is doing.

SlimPickens
10-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Don't think there is anything wrong with the Coach giving something for Tommy to strive for. That's what Macca is doing.

Agree and let's not forget he is 20 years old. I'd imagine he would be acutely aware that he has a big opportunity to play a lot of football at AFL level next year.

GVGjr
10-12-2012, 08:32 PM

Spot on. We want the youngsters to go hard to try and make a spot their own.
It's not like the coach is saying Young is going to be a star player and its more around emphasizing that with hard work their is a chance to get some opportunities.

AndrewP6
10-12-2012, 08:36 PM

Agree and let's not forget he is 20 years old. I'd imagine he would be acutely aware that he has a big opportunity to play a lot of football at AFL level next year.

Spot on. We want the youngsters to go hard to try and make a spot their own.
It's not like the coach is saying Young is going to be a star player and its more around emphasizing that with hard work their is a chance to get some opportunities.

Agree, my comment was more directed towards the general public, many of whom put undue pressure on players.

F'scary
14-12-2012, 11:23 PM
They are comparing him to Hargrave straight away. He is lucky. They could be comparing him to Ed Barlow!

Ghost Dog
26-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Got a very poor wrap in this video after last week's loss to the Blues. The show two bits of vision about half way through.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-04-22/mrp-got-it-wrong

I've liked what he's brought to the team in previous games. Let's hope he fires up this week.

bornadog
26-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Got a very poor wrap in this video after last week's loss to the Blues. The show two bits of vision about half way through.

I've liked what he's brought to the team in previous games. Let's hope he fires up this week.

As they said, he shouldn't be playing in a Key Postion. At best he takes the third best backman.

Twodogs
26-04-2014, 05:34 PM

I hope he has a big game too.

He reminds me of a half back flanker from the days when football was played in positions and players had direct opponents.

Ghost Dog
26-04-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure about that. His want is for intensity, not talent. He's certainly one of the more skilled backs we have.

Twodogs
26-04-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure about that. His want is for intensity, not talent. He's certainly one of the more skilled backs we have.

I was thinking he reminds me of Brian Cordy. When he's playing well he knows when to stay with his opponent and when to go for a run up the ground and get involved with the play. The hair hair too.

Bulldog4life
26-04-2014, 06:55 PM
I was thinking he reminds me of Brian Cordy. When he's playing well he knows when to stay with his opponent and when to go for a run up the ground and get involved with the play. The hair hair too.

Did Brian stutter Twodogs?

Twodogs
26-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Did Brian stutter Twodogs?

Heh! That should have said red hair.

Mofra
27-04-2014, 05:28 PM
He wasn't our worst today

bulldogtragic
27-04-2014, 05:30 PM

Yep. That was Jones.

bornadog
27-04-2014, 06:37 PM

I thought he also struggled as he should not be playing a KP role.