PDA

View Full Version : Round 1, 2013 - Team

Pages : [1] 2

The Pie Man
11-12-2012, 03:42 PM
OK, so this is probably way too early to making any definitive calls on a first 21 + 1; pre-season form & potential injury will surely play a part here.

Having said all that, with the full list now in, I'm prepared to take a stab

Addison Roughead Morris
Wood Talia Lower
Griffen Boyd Cooney
Murphy Williams Dickson
Dahlhaus Jones Higgins

Minson Wallis Liberatore

Int: Picken Smith Cross
Sub: Stevens

My queries on the above

* Can Pearce push Addison for a spot in the back 6?
* Can Talia hold down CHB? (or would some prefer Roberts or even Williams)
* Will Macca play Minson as the only ruck, with Williams/Jones playing support?
* Can Gia make the round 1 squad?
* If staying fit, can this squad win a few games?

F'scary
11-12-2012, 03:55 PM
To start the season, Williams CHB, Jones CHF, The Ace in the Pack Cordy FF. Take it from there.

The Pie Man
11-12-2012, 04:04 PM
To start the season, Williams CHB, Jones CHF, The Ace in the Pack Cordy FF. Take it from there.

So no Talia? Does Cordy play back up ruck if at FF?
Does Stringer push for a spot in that forward line?

I'd want to see Cordy a lot more mobile this season if he's to look remotely capable of playing FF

Eastdog
11-12-2012, 04:14 PM

Agree. Jones is much more suited as a CHF. Would Cordy be good at FF? He struggled when he played up there this season. Obviously Minson is our number 1 ruck. Is Cordy becoming a bit like a Cameron Wight.

F'scary
11-12-2012, 04:23 PM
So no Talia? Does Cordy play back up ruck if at FF?
Does Stringer push for a spot in that forward line?

I'd want to see Cordy a lot more mobile this season if he's to look remotely capable of playing FF

I think Talia will get games in 2013. Looking forward, he may well be the starting CHB or FB in a couple of years time.

I think The Ace will have to help because it is too much for Big Will to ruck all day. For starters, if he is at FF he should take the stoppages deep in the forward line.

In my opinion, if The Ace duds out at FF, hello Stringer. If it worked, what would be great is Stringer at FF, The Ace FP swapping with Big Will. But you would want The Ace to back up his good ground skills and emerging ruck skills with some more overhead marking. Maybe this year. Also, there is the issue of the kicking. If that doesn't improve dramatically this year his days as a deep forward will be numbered.

LostDoggy
11-12-2012, 04:28 PM
OK, so this is probably way too early to making any definitive calls on a first 21 + 1; pre-season form & potential injury will surely play a part here.

Addison Roughead Morris
Wood Talia Lower
Griffen Boyd Cooney
Murphy Williams Dickson
Dahlhaus Jones Higgins

Minson Wallis Liberatore

My queries on the above

* Can Pearce push Addison for a spot in the back 6? 50:50 proposition - Addison played his part last year and could well continue to surprise further I suspect*
Can Talia hold down CHB? (or would some prefer Roberts or even Williams) Too early - Williams is solid in this role when fit - please let him get some luck!*
Will Macca play Minson as the only ruck, with Williams/Jones playing support? I think he will be forced to*
Can Gia make the round 1 squad? Yes but I'll be surprised if he's not announcing his retirement by the end of the year*
If staying fit, can this squad win a few games? Might still be another tough year I think (better than Port and GWS but might get overtaken by GC and Melbourne I think) but I like where its headed. Think we are at the botom of the situation we are in headed upwards!

I think Stringer and Hrovat will both find a regular spot in the team by mid-year.

boydogs
11-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Addison Roughead Morris
Wood Talia Lower
Griffen Boyd Cooney
Murphy Williams Dickson
Dahlhaus Jones Higgins

Minson Wallis Liberatore

Pretty close IMO. I'm not convinced on the Roughead, Murphy & Williams changes, but understand they will happen. Stringer will almost be 19 round 1 and Hrovat is ready to go, I think they will be there.

In: Stringer, Hrovat, Giansiracusa
Out: Talia, Jones, Smith

Addison Morris Lower
Wood Roughead Picken
Griffen Boyd Cooney
Murphy Williams Dickson
Dahlhaus Stringer Higgins

Minson Wallis Liberatore

Int: Hrovat Giansiracusa Cross

Dry Rot
11-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Pretty close IMO. I'm not convinced on the Roughead, Murphy & Williams changes, but understand they will happen. Stringer will almost be 19 round 1 and Hrovat is ready to go, I think they will be there.

In: Stringer, Hrovat, Giansiracusa
Out: Talia, Jones, Smith

Addison Morris Lower
Wood Roughead Picken
Griffen Boyd Cooney
Murphy Williams Dickson

Minson Wallis Liberatore

I see you have as as much faith in Jones and Cordy as forwards as I do.

AndrewP6
11-12-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm not convinced Talia will start. I wouldn't be surprised, however, to see Stringer debut, in the forward line. I think Williams will start back. Gia will play.

Bulldog Joe
11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
My stab

Addison Roughead Morris
Wood Williams Murphy
Griffen Boyd Picken
Higgins Jones Dickson
Dahlhaus Cordy Gia
Minson Wallis Liberatore

Int: Cooney Smith Cross
Sub: Johannisen

If fit Gia will certainly play round 1
Cordy to relief ruck but would not be surprised to see Campbell preferred.
Lower, Stevens and others will need to show something pre-season.
Howard would expect to get a game as well.
We really should see something from Jones and Cordy in 2013.

Competition is there for spots but we do need someone to step forward and be more than serviceable

bulldogtragic
11-12-2012, 08:04 PM

Addison Roughead Morris
Wood Talia Lower
Griffen Boyd Cooney
Murphy Williams Dickson
Dahlhaus Jones Higgins

Minson Wallis Liberatore

My queries on the above

Needs more inside mids capable of winning their own ball, at least another six....

boydogs
11-12-2012, 08:49 PM
I see you have as as much faith in Jones and Cordy as forwards as I do.

They've been played too early and as the main men, we really needed another 2 years out of a Hall type. They can both take a grab, but too often look lost and outgunned.

Maybe later in the year or next year they will become staples of the side.

F'scary
11-12-2012, 09:10 PM
If Morris & Cooney are back on song (and the early pre-season signs are highly positive) that is a lot of problems solved.

Interesting no-one is putting Skinny Grant & Hans Christian Howard the Duck in as starters. The Jones Boy's & The Ace in the Pack's starting spots are being heavily questioned. We could be seeing premature generational change in 2013.

F'scary
11-12-2012, 09:11 PM
That is, 2013 might be the last season for a number of players who never quite made it. Wood better recapture some of his excellent 2011 form as well.

Bulldog Revolution
11-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Nice thread Pie Man, its going to be very interesting, its hard to know whether to pick the team we want (Morris, Cooney, Williams injury free) or changes in positional play (Higgins at HB, Murphy at HF) or what we think the coaches will do.

F'scary
11-12-2012, 09:42 PM
They've been played too early and as the main men, we really needed another 2 years out of a Hall type. They can both take a grab, but too often look lost and outgunned.

Maybe later in the year or next year they will become staples of the side.

An interesting thread would be "What will the line up be at, say, Round 12?"

F'scary
13-12-2012, 11:02 PM
B: “DFA” Addison, “Pretty Boy” Roughead, “The Human Glove” Morris
HB: “Norwegian” Wood, Tom “L” Williams, Nick “Cruel to be Kind” Lower
C: “Lightening” Johannisen, “Bill n’” Boyd (c), “Cotton” Picken
HF: “The Coon Dog” Cooney, The Jones Boy, Bob Murphy
FF: “Professor” Higgins, “The Ace in the Pack” Cordy Jnr, “Dolly Dreadlocks” Dahlhaus
R: “Big” Will Minson, Ryan “Go” Griffen, Wallis Jnr
Int: Libba Jnr, “Pigeon” Smith, “Kris” Cross, Tory “Spelling” Dickson (s)

I have gone for experience (and our list is a bit thin now in places) to start with - there are a couple of obvious omissions: "Guido" Giansiracusa & "Skinny" Grant. The exception is "Lightening" Johannisen because we need some toe in the side and he has it as we all saw late last year.

Very tempting to put Jake "The Beast" Stringer straight in at FF from the perspective of crowd pulling and membership sales. This move would push "Professor" Higgins to the sub spot at the expense of Tory "Spelling" Dickson with The Ace in the Pack to FP.

jeemak
13-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Here we go:

B - Morris, Roughead, Picken
HB - Wood, Williams, Howard
C - Murphy, Wallis, Dahlhaus
HF - Higgins, Jones, Grant
F - Dickson, Cordy, Cooney
Fol - Minson, Griffen, Boyd

Int - Smith, Liberatore, Giansiracusa
Sub - Stevens

The sub position could easily be taken by Giansiracusa, Stevens, Lower, Veszpremi or Smith. How we see the balance of defenders versus midfielders panning out will determine this for most of the year. The coach has said Murphy will play up the ground more, that doesn't mean he can't play back if required from time to time.

Cross is obviously unlucky to miss out. Some around here might think I have something against him, though I really though that prior to injury he made me eat roast words for sunday lunch a few times this year after I was critical of him early on. Time is cruel to players at his age and physical and skill limitations, and he is a chance to find himself in an unlucky (and in some cases romantically unjust) position of being overtaken. He's proved me wrong before, possibly he'll do it again.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-12-2012, 12:19 AM

Addison Roughead Morris
Wood Talia Lower
Griffen Boyd Cooney
Murphy Williams Dickson
Dahlhaus Jones Higgins

Minson Wallis Liberatore

My queries on the above

I am still not convinced about Williams and Jones as key forwards. I would prefer to see Williams back at CHB with Talia in a BP as the third tall. Addison lifted the side going forward and should start in a FP, leaving Pearce to replace him in defence.
I would play Roberts at CHF with Campbell at FF to relieve Minson as the second ruck. Stringer would be a useful addition to the forward line which lacked class last year.

bornadog
14-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Here we go:

B - Morris, Roughead, Picken
HB - Wood, Williams, Howard
C - Murphy, Wallis, Dahlhaus
HF - Higgins, Jones, Grant
F - Dickson, Cordy, Cooney
Fol - Minson, Griffen, Boyd

Int - Smith, Liberatore, Giansiracusa
Sub - Stevens

The sub position could easily be taken by Giansiracusa, Stevens, Lower, Veszpremi or Smith. How we see the balance of defenders versus midfielders panning out will determine this for most of the year. The coach has said Murphy will play up the ground more, that doesn't mean he can't play back if required from time to time.

Cross is obviously unlucky to miss out. Some around here might think I have something against him, though I really though that prior to injury he made me eat roast words for sunday lunch a few times this year after I was critical of him early on. Time is cruel to players at his age and physical and skill limitations, and he is a chance to find himself in an unlucky (and in some cases romantically unjust) position of being overtaken. He's proved me wrong before, possibly he'll do it again.

I like your team, except for one ommission:D

jeemak
14-12-2012, 12:25 AM

Mate, Zino Tzatzaris retired in 1990. It's time to let go. :D

Greystache
14-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Early days but I'll give it a go.

B- Morris, Roughead, Wood

HB- Johannisen, Talia, Stevens

C- Picken, Cooney, Griffen

HF- Murphy, Williams, Dalhaus

F- Higgins Dickson Cross*

R- Minson, Wallis, Boyd

Int- Campbell, Addison, Smith, Libba

* Cross as +1 defender

The Pie Man
14-12-2012, 10:31 AM
I am still not convinced about Williams and Jones as key forwards. I would prefer to see Williams back at CHB with Talia in a BP as the third tall. Addison lifted the side going forward and should start in a FP, leaving Pearce to replace him in defence.
I would play Roberts at CHF with Campbell at FF to relieve Minson as the second ruck. Stringer would be a useful addition to the forward line which lacked class last year.

Don't mind Roberts in the forward line, though not happy about Campbell playing 2nd ruck/FF....though I suspect that's the way we'll go.

EasternWest
14-12-2012, 12:04 PM

We're not picking you BAD, until you get your skin folds down.

KT31
14-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Would consider easing Cooney in as the Sub for the first game or so, just to get a gauge at how well the surgery worked.

whythelongface
14-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Not an easy exercise.

B: Wood Roughead Morris
HB: Stevens Talia Howard
C: Dahlhaus Griffen Picken
HF: Murphy Williams Higgins
F: Dickson Jones Addison
R: Minson Boyd Wallis

I: Libba Smith Cross Sub: Cooney

bornadog
14-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Mate, Zino Tzatzaris retired in 1990. It's time to let go. :D

Now that makes me Cross:D

LostDoggy
14-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Here is my stab at it:

Wood Talia Morris
Pearce Roughead Lower
Smith Boyd Higgins
Murphy Williams Cooney
Dahlhaus Jones Dickson

Minson Griffen Liberatore

Int: Cross Wallis Picken Grant
Emg: Cordy Stevens Addison

I want to fit Johannisen in there for his sheer pace. He could take Pearce's spot.
Would like to see Roberts up forward, but really not sure where he will fit in.
I cant see Gia in there...but i know he will be.

F'scary
14-12-2012, 10:46 PM
After considering Jeemak's lineup, a second attempt:

Fault with first line up: omission of our two top goal scorers from 2012.

Basic premise stays the same: recruits will have to force their way in.

Hence:

B: Dylan “DFA” Addison, Jordan “Pretty Boy” Roughead, Dale “The Human Glove” Morris

HB: Easton “Norwegian” Wood, Tom “L” Williams, Adam “The Coon Dog” Cooney

C: Lukas “Dolly Dreadlocks” Dahlhaus, Matthew “Bill N’” Boyd (c), Liam “Cotton” Picken (vc)

HF: Tory “Spelling” Dickson, “The Jones Boy”, Bob Murphy

F: Daniel “Guido” Giansiracusa, “The Ace in the Pack” Cordy Jnr, “Professor” Higgins

Int: “Libba” Jnr, Clay “Pigeon” Smith, Daniel “Kris” Cross, Jason “Lightening” Johannisen (s)

I am persisting with including Johannisen on the basis that he provides line breaking pace.

Throughandthrough
14-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Did you know in sa when we name a team we name the forwards first. #factoftheday

Bumper Bulldogs
14-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Ok based on Hope and what we have if everyone is 100% fit, I've had a crack!

B: Wood Marcovic Morris
HB: Murphy Williams Howard
C: Smith Cross Wallis
HF:Addison Jones Cooney
F: Dahlhaus Cordy Dickson

R: Minson Griffen Liberatore

Int: Picken Higgins Stevens
Emg: Stringer

I know Marcovic will turn a few heads but i really would give him a crack as I think he has done a good job in the past.

lemmon
15-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Did you know in sa when we name a team we name the forwards first. #factoftheday

It is a crazy world you must live in :p

jeemak
15-12-2012, 02:38 AM
We've been talking about added selection pressure next year due to our drafting and trading, though I can't remember a year being so hard to pick our best side for a long time as there are so many unknowns.

Each team I've seen (and the one I've posted) in this thread has at least five players really unlucky to miss out based on past deeds and potential form going forwards.

Inclusion or exclusion of these players probably isn't going to make a huge difference to our results next year, but as the team develops the competition for a spot will be full on, and if they mostly turn out to be well developed and good players we'll be in an excellent position to compete.

AndrewP6
15-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Amazed that people have Gia out. Barring injury, he'll play.

G-Mo77
15-12-2012, 09:49 AM
A lot of similar line ups in here so I'll just add some small changes to them.

I think Lower will line up in round 1.

I can see us lining up with Stringer at the expense of Jones or Cordy.

Grant and Howard won't be in the team.

Gia and Cross will.

I'm still iffy on Morris lining up in Round 1. Hope I'm way off on that though.

GVGjr
15-12-2012, 09:51 AM

I think most would agree but given Giansiracusa is probably in his final season most are projecting teams with an eye on the future.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Round 1 2012 saw Clay Smith and Josh Hill play well but Josh for the opposition. Supporters were hoping Koby Stevens would be selected but for the Eagles.
Our team was:
FB - Murphy, Lake, Addison
HB - Hargrave, Markovic, Howard
C - Cross, Smith, Wood
HF - Giansiracusa, Jones, Cooney
FF - Dickson, Roughead, Higgins
FOL – Minson, Boyd, Picken
INT – Grant, Panos, Veszpremi, Djerrkura, Wallis, Liberatore, Dahlhaus
For arguments sake here’s Greystache’s go at our next round 1 team, as I haven’t worked one out atm:
Greystache

R- Minson, Wallis, Boyd

* Cross as +1 defender

So…not a single line is the same and with the exception of only Minson and Boyd, no one is in the same position! As we know we’re in a great time of change. The half back line is new and not established and it is asking a lot of the team just to be competitive. We need some magic and magic happens.
Comparison:
Greystache

R- Minson, Wallis, Boyd

* Cross as +1 defender
Gogriff
Addison Morris Lower
Wood Roughead Picken
Griffen Boyd Cooney
Murphy Williams Dickson

Minson Wallis Liberatore

Bulldog Joe
Addison Roughead Morris
Wood Williams Murphy
Griffen Boyd Picken
Higgins Jones Dickson
Dahlhaus Cordy Gia
Minson Wallis Liberatore

Sub: Johannisen F’scray
FF: “Professor” Higgins, “The Ace in the Pack” Cordy Jnr, “Dolly Dreadlocks” Dahlhaus

I’ll go with
B MORRIS ROUGHIE WOOD
HB JOHANISSEN TALIA LOWER
C COONEY BOYD GRIFFEN
HF MURPHY WILLIAMS DALHAUS
F HIGGINS CORDY GIANSIRACUSA
FOLL MINSON LIBBA WALLIS
INT HROVAT CROSS GRANT
SUB: K. STEVENS

LostDoggy
15-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Ok based on Hope and what we have if everyone is 100% fit, I've had a crack!

B: Wood Marcovic Morris
HB: Murphy Williams Howard
C: Smith Cross Wallis
HF:Addison Jones Cooney
F: Dahlhaus Cordy Dickson

R: Minson Griffen Liberatore

Int: Picken Higgins Stevens
Emg: Stringer

I know Marcovic will turn a few heads but i really would give him a crack as I think he has done a good job in the past.

It wasn't Marco's inclusion that turned my head, it was the omission of Boyd...

AndrewP6
15-12-2012, 05:55 PM
I think most would agree but given Giansiracusa is probably in his final season most are projecting teams with an eye on the future.

Probably, but the thread is round 1, 2013.

chef
15-12-2012, 06:08 PM
FB Morris Roughead Wood
HB Murphy Talia Stevens
C Dahlhaus Griffen Cross
HF Higgins Williams Dickson
FF Stringer Campbell Giansiracusa
RR Minson Boyd Cooney
IN Wallis Liberatore Picken
SUB Smith

ERM Addison Hrovat Grant

LostDoggy
15-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Agree with AP6, Gia will play round one. If he is fit, he is definitely in our best 22. Round 1, 2014 could be a whole other story.

The Pie Man
16-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Probably, but the thread is round 1, 2013.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised either way with Gia in round one. I've been a fan, so I don't project his absence as part of that potential bias, but if you look at the mids we've added and Cooney maybe returning to somewhere near full fitness, how is Gia pushing Dahl & Higgins out of the small/creative forward spots?

I know Dahl can push into the midfield with his ball winning and speed, but given what we've added, he'd be better used predominantly forward.

Can't see Gia nudging Dickson out either.

Don't see him playing much at all this year, will be interesting how it plays out

boydogs
16-12-2012, 04:36 AM
How is Gia pushing Dahl & Higgins out of the small/creative forward spots?

I've got him on the bench

Murphy Williams Dickson

Int: Hrovat Giansiracusa Cross (Stevens)

F'scary
16-12-2012, 08:42 AM

I included him. Even though he had some ordinary games (where it looked like he was either playing injured or Father Time had caught him up), he had some better ones and kicked 28 goals for the season.

westbulldog
17-12-2012, 11:15 PM
I think Murph is needed down back for his experience and run. A Freo supporter mate has a high regard for Nick Lower. In Round 22 against Sydney last year Addison added some grunt and 4 goals to the forward line, he gets a spot before Higgins for mine.

bornadog
18-12-2012, 12:19 AM
I think Murph is needed down back for his experience and run. A Freo supporter mate has a high regard for Nick Lower. In Round 22 against Sydney last year Addison added some grunt and 4 goals to the forward line, he gets a spot before Higgins for mine.

Addison is a fringe player and is not in our best 22 whereas a fully fit Higgins is all class.

westbulldog
18-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Wouldn't we all like to see Higgins, Jones, Cordy and Grant play to their full potential. It hasn't happened yet.

Go_Dogs
18-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Morris, Roughead, Wood
Lower, Williams, Picken
Wallis, Boyd, Cooney
Higgins, Jones, Murphy
Dahlhaus, Cordy, Dickson
Minson, Griffen, Liberatore
Cross, Smith, Stevens, Addison

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Morris, Roughead, Wood
Lower, Williams, Picken
Wallis, Boyd, Cooney
Higgins, Jones, Murphy
Dahlhaus, Cordy, Dickson
Minson, Griffen, Liberatore
Cross, Smith, Stevens, Addison

Your line up looks good apart from the two key forwards Jones and Cordy who showed little to suggest that they are the answer to our attack woes. I would prefer to try Fletcher Roberts and Campbell who appear to have more upside than both Jones and Cordy.Stringer could give us something different in attack which has become our Achilles heel.
Moving Murphy forward is long overdue and would add class and experience. Wood could be better suited to a centre wing where his extra dash would help greater forward penetration. Cross now appears to do his best work in defence, where he might now be best placed.

jeemak
19-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Your line up looks good apart from the two key forwards Jones and Cordy who showed little to suggest that they are the answer to our attack woes. I would prefer to try Fletcher Roberts and Campbell who appear to have more upside than both Jones and Cordy.Stringer could give us something different in attack which has become our Achilles heel.
Moving Murphy forward is long overdue and would add class and experience. Wood could be better suited to a centre wing where his extra dash would help greater forward penetration. Cross now appears to do his best work in defence, where he might now be best placed.

I think Cross would get murdered in defense, if played there in a set position. He's not quick enough and throughout his career I've never regarded him as a one on one defender outside of midfeild shutdown roles.

He'd add value cutting across half back due to his excellent ability to go back with the flight and put his body on the line, though if that was his role I think it would stifle development of other midfielders in a team where the midfeild needs to learn to take on teams on their merits.

Sure you don't rate Cordy and Jones, though I can't see how either have been trumped to this point in terms of upside by Roberts or Campbell in forward roles. What about the latter two gives you the confidence they will overtake the former? Was it a particular game for each, or just a hunch, or gut feel?

LostDoggy
20-12-2012, 05:20 PM
B Dale Morris Jordan Roughead Liam Picken
HB Easton Wood Tom Williams Shaun Higgins
C Daniel Cross Matthew Boyd Ryan Griffen
HF Luke Dahlhaus Liam Jones Robert Murphy
F Dylan Addison Tory Dickson Jarrad Grant

R Will Minson Adam Cooney Tom Liberatore

BNCH Clay Smith Daniel Giansiracusa
Tom Campbell Mitch Wallis

Backup
Patrick Veszpremi
Michael Talia
Lukas Markovic
Mark Austin
Christian Howard
Brett Goodes
Jason Tutt
Ayce Cordy
Nick Lower
Tom Young
Koby Stevens

Development
Alex Greenwood
Daniel Pearce
Fletcher Roberts
Jack Redpath
Jackson Macrae
Jake Stringer
Jason Johannisen
Joshua Prudden
Lachlan Hunter
Lin Jong
Nathan Hrovat

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-12-2012, 06:58 PM
I think Cross would get murdered in defense, if played there in a set position. He's not quick enough and throughout his career I've never regarded him as a one on one defender outside of midfeild shutdown roles.

He'd add value cutting across half back due to his excellent ability to go back with the flight and put his body on the line, though if that was his role I think it would stifle development of other midfielders in a team where the midfeild needs to learn to take on teams on their merits.

Sure you don't rate Cordy and Jones, though I can't see how either have been trumped to this point in terms of upside by Roberts or Campbell in forward roles. What about the latter two gives you the confidence they will overtake the former? Was it a particular game for each, or just a hunch, or gut feel?
I appreciated your response. The only two effective forwards we had last year were Dickson and Dahlhaus which was the major factor in being whitewashed in our last 11 games. I thought both Cordy and Jones were given plenty of opportunities and didn't improve one iota. Grant similarly was most disappointing. Campbell should be played as a back up ruckman to Minson. Roberts on what I saw of him at Williamstown looks a far better prospect than either Jones or Cordy.The keenness of the MC to recruit a Dawes or Gumbleton to me was out of sheer desperation to what was served up in 2012.

bornadog
19-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Bump

Best Guess

JJ Roughead Morris
Lower Young Goodes
Griffen Boyd Cooney
Gia Murphy Dickson
Dahlhaus Jones Higgins

Minson Wallis Liberatore

Williams, Wood assume injured. Assume Higgins is ok and Jones and Cordy interchangeable.

Bulldog Joe
19-03-2013, 04:58 PM
JJ Roughead Picken
Stevens Morris Goodes
Griffen Boyd Lower
Murphy Jones Dickson
Gia Cordy Dahlhaus

Minson Wallis Liberatore

Int: Smith Cross Cooney
Sub: Higgins

There are a few options, but I would see Lower as a certainty for the main tagging role.
Roughead will play on Brown and Morris the next tall. Young a chance because we need some extra height in the back half.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Round 1 2012 saw Clay Smith and Josh Hill play well but Josh for the opposition. Supporters were hoping Koby Stevens would be selected but for the Eagles.
Our team was:
FB - Murphy, Lake, Addison
HB - Hargrave, Markovic, Howard
C - Cross, Smith, Wood
HF - Giansiracusa, Jones, Cooney
FF - Dickson, Roughead, Higgins
FOL – Minson, Boyd, Picken
INT – Grant, Panos, Veszpremi, Djerrkura, Wallis, Liberatore, Dahlhaus
For arguments sake here’s Greystache’s go at our next round 1 team, as I haven’t worked one out atm:
Greystache

R- Minson, Wallis, Boyd

* Cross as +1 defender

So…not a single line is the same and with the exception of only Minson and Boyd, no one is in the same position! As we know we’re in a great time of change. The half back line is new and not established and it is asking a lot of the team just to be competitive. We need some magic and magic happens.
Comparison:
Greystache

R- Minson, Wallis, Boyd

* Cross as +1 defender
Gogriff
Addison Morris Lower
Wood Roughead Picken
Griffen Boyd Cooney
Murphy Williams Dickson

Minson Wallis Liberatore

Bulldog Joe
Addison Roughead Morris
Wood Williams Murphy
Griffen Boyd Picken
Higgins Jones Dickson
Dahlhaus Cordy Gia
Minson Wallis Liberatore

Sub: Johannisen F’scray

I’ll go with
B MORRIS ROUGHIE WOOD
HB JOHANISSEN TALIA LOWER
C COONEY BOYD GRIFFEN
HF MURPHY WILLIAMS DALHAUS
F HIGGINS CORDY GIANSIRACUSA
FOLL MINSON LIBBA WALLIS
INT HROVAT CROSS GRANT
SUB: K. STEVENS

No Picken?

Cyberdoggie
19-03-2013, 05:57 PM
JJ Roughead Picken
Stevens Morris Goodes
Griffen Boyd Lower
Murphy Jones Dickson
Gia Cordy Dahlhaus

Minson Wallis Liberatore

Int: Smith Cross Cooney
Sub: Higgins

There are a few options, but I would see Lower as a certainty for the main tagging role.
Roughead will play on Brown and Morris the next tall. Young a chance because we need some extra height in the back half.

I'd say that would be pretty close. Stevens is the injury concern, and Young might have to come in for match ups, i haven't had a good look at Brisbane so far this year and what they are doing with their forwards.
Can't see any first year players sneaking in to the side unless they want to put Macrae as the sub if Higgins or other player is injured.

I'm tipping this to be very close to the team. :)

Remi Moses
19-03-2013, 06:08 PM
My team also . Macrae in for Higgins,as players who lack match practice are a risk in round 1.

SlimPickens
19-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Back 6
JJ Goodes Morris Young Picken Roughy

Picken on Green, Rough on Brown, Morris on Cornelius and Young on Martin.

Mids- Minson Libba Boyd Griffen Wallis Stevens

Forwards- Murph Jones Gia Cordy Dickson Dahl

Bench- Cross Lower Smith Cooney

LostDoggy
19-03-2013, 07:03 PM
B Goodes Roughead JJ

HB Morris Markovic Cross

C Griffen Boyd Cooney

HF Murphy Jones Dahlhaus

F Gia Cordy Dickson

R Minson Wallis Lower

INT Libba Picken Koby Sub Higgo

Ozza
19-03-2013, 07:15 PM
B: Goodes; Roughead; Markovic
HB: Lower; Morris; Picken
C: Griffen; Boyd; Wallis
HF: Higgins; Jones; Murphy
F: Dickson; Cordy; Dahlhaus
R: Minson; Cooney; Liberatore
Int: Cross; Smith; Gia; Stevens

JJ probably stiff and Marko lucky - but I suspect we'll need the height against Brisbane. Would love to see Stringer Macrae or Hrovat play...and am not too keen on Cordy, but a 2nd ruck is necessary if he can actually go in there at times.

Cyberdoggie
19-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Stevens has pulled up ok, and Higgins will play this weekend in the VFL, so i'll guess we'll see how he goes.

G-Mo77
19-03-2013, 07:53 PM
I'll take a punt.

Backs
B: Goodes, Roughead, Morris
HB: Lower, Young, JJ

I think they'll take Young. We need a bit more height down there but need a bit of versatility. Is Marko a better matchup for Brown? Does Roughy take him?

Midfield
C: Griffen, Boyd, Wallis
R: Minson, Cooney, Liberatore

They pick themselves. It's been pretty similar for a long time now, doubt they'll change it.

Forwards
HF: Murphy, Jones, Picken
F: Dickson, Cordy, Dahlhaus

Jones and Cordy will play together IMO. Cordy is needed to just spot Minson some minutes. I like Picken as a forward tagger. Not sure on how the Lions will line up but Adcock seems to run around without a man a lot.

Interchange
Int: Gia, Cross, Smith, Stevens/Higgins

A lot depends on health for that last spot. Young's I'm unsure on so we could possibly go in light down back and play both Stevens and Higgins.

Have I missed anyone?

GVGjr
19-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Bump

Best Guess

JJ Roughead Morris
Lower Young Goodes
Griffen Boyd Cooney
Gia Murphy Dickson
Dahlhaus Jones Higgins

Minson Wallis Liberatore

Williams, Wood assume injured. Assume Higgins is ok and Jones and Cordy interchangeable.

Did you mean to have Cordy in the squad?

Hotdog60
19-03-2013, 08:02 PM
I'll take a punt.

Backs

I think they'll take Young. We need a bit more height down there but need a bit of versatility. Is Marko a better matchup for Brown? Does Roughy take him?

Midfield

They pick themselves. It's been pretty similar for a long time now, doubt they'll change it.

Forwards

Jones and Cordy will play together IMO. Cordy is needed to just spot Minson some minutes. I like Picken as a forward tagger. Not sure on how the Lions will line up but Adcock seems to run around without a man a lot.

Interchange

A lot depends on health for that last spot. Young's I'm unsure on so we could possibly go in light down back and play both Stevens and Higgins.

Have I missed anyone?

Not a bad line up, if Lower did a job on Cotchin I hope he can follow it up on Rich.

bornadog
20-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Did you mean to have Cordy in the squad?

I meant it will be either Jones or Cordy I was struggling to fit in both.

jeemak
20-03-2013, 01:09 AM
I'll take a punt.

Backs

Midfield

Forwards

Interchange

Have I missed anyone?

You might have nailed it mate.

Having only seen one game live, and nothing of our last two I defer to popular consensus around here (apart for F'scary's despisal for Ayce!) and it all seems pretty reasonable.

If Higgins plays well this week however, he'll definitely line up at the expense of Stevens. And Marko might be picked ahead of Young, as we may need extra height to cover for Cornelius not having as crap a game as he did in the NAB final.

always right
20-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Would really like to see Lower pick up Rich and Picken play as a defensive forward on Hanley who gives Brisbane a lot of run out of defence. Picken could make life very difficult for Hanley and might even snaffle a couple of goals if players up field make a point of looking for him. The other option is he plays on Zorko in defence.

Would love to see Williams come in for Cordy but he simply won't be ready. Agree with others that Young could and should play CHB with Roughy taking Brown.

Greystache
20-03-2013, 10:46 AM
B: JJ Roughead Morris
HB: Lower Markovic Goodes
C- Picken Boyd Griffen
HF- Dahlhaus Jones Murphy
F- Gia Cordy Dickson

R- Minson, Libba, Cooney

Int- Wallis, Cross, Smith
Sub- Stevens

I can't see Young as a key defender at this stage, I think we're more likely to go for Markovic even though he has little upside.

It's also concerning that 4th and 5th year players like Grant, Tutt, and Howard aren't likely best 22 players come round 1.

G-Mo77
20-03-2013, 10:53 AM
It's also concerning that 4th and 5th year players like Grant, Tutt, and Howard aren't likely best 22 players come round 1.

I've said it a few times but Grant and Howard are in their final season at the Dogs unless they prove everyone otherwise.

whythelongface
20-03-2013, 11:09 AM
HB: Stevens Markovic Goodes
C- Lower Boyd Griffen
F- Gia Cordy Dickson

R- Minson, Libba, Cooney

Sub- Macrae

I can't see Young as a key defender at this stage, I think we're more likely to go for Markovic even though he has little upside.

I agree in regards to Markovich that they are more likely to pick him. The rest of your team looks good except there is no Picken.

What is Picken's role this year? Defender, forward, midfield. With Lower on board his role changes. Whilst he should be in the 22 where does he lineup?

Greystache
20-03-2013, 11:11 AM
I agree in regards to Markovich that they are more likely to pick him. The rest of your team looks good except there is no Picken.

What is Picken's role this year? Defender, forward, midfield. With Lower on board his role changes. Whilst he should be in the 22 where does he lineup?

Ah yeah thanks. I had him on the wing but replaced him with Lower and forgot to put him in the forward line. I've edited it.

Greystache
20-03-2013, 11:19 AM
As has been mentioned previously it's not so straight forward doing our best 22 at the moment. Not necessarily because our depth is so great but because we have so few that have done enough to demand selection.

bornadog
20-03-2013, 11:37 AM
As has been mentioned previously it's not so straight forward doing our best 22 at the moment. Not necessarily because our depth is so great but because we have so few that have done enough to demand selection.

this is so true.

always right
20-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Beg to disagree. Although there are some who simply haven't had sufficient match practice to push for selection, in previous years we would have played blokes who were under-done simply on reputation. I think we have a very even list now and I have the feeling the match committe is going to make players fight for positions every week.

always right
20-03-2013, 11:44 AM

I can see them going with Markovich if Brisbane go tall up forward but not if Cornelius is their key forward with Brown. I really think it will be horses for courses this year and we are likely to go with a more mobile defence when we can.

As for Picken, why does he need a set position? The beauty of Liam is that can play a number of roles depending on our needs. This week is a great example as he could line up on Rich in the midfield, Hanley on the forward line or Zorko in defence.

whythelongface
20-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Beg to disagree. Although there are some who simply haven't had sufficient match practice to push for selection, in previous years we would have played blokes who were under-done simply on reputation. I think we have a very even list now and I have the feeling the match committe is going to make players fight for positions every week.

Agree to a point when it comes to certain positions, in particular our midfield, however there are two significant postions where we just don't have any players of significance. These being CHB and FF. In saying that we do have Williams, but unfortunately he is injured more often than not.

whythelongface
20-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I can see them going with Markovich if Brisbane go tall up forward but not if Cornelius is their key forward with Brown. I really think it will be horses for courses this year and we are likely to go with a more mobile defence when we can.

As for Picken, why does he need a set position? The beauty of Liam is that can play a number of roles depending on our needs. This week is a great example as he could line up on Rich in the midfield, Hanley on the forward line or Zorko in defence.

Both good points.

CHB is a significant weakness within our team. There just isn't the quality or depth for us at the moment. Whether it is Marko, Young or someone else it will be an area we will certainly struggle in.

Picken is an interesting one with Lower now likely to play the no. 1 tagger role it certainly does free him up and, as you state, does not pencil him into any one set position. However I do like him as a forward,not necessarily due to any ability to mark and kick goals,but more for his ability to help lock the ball in our fwd 50. This is an area we seem to have worked on during the pre-season and what from what I have seen and heard, an area where we are making progress.

Greystache
20-03-2013, 12:06 PM

Of that team I selected 13 of 22 have played less than 50 games. The list is even because by and large it's unproven. We can't even select on reputation as we have previously, we have to select on potential which is even more subjective. Of course every player will have to fight for selection, because aside from 10 or so players, the rest of the club ARE fringe players.

Even at full strength Higgins is an automatic, Williams probably is too despite having actually produced very little as a senior player, and I'd argue Wood is no automatic selection, so it's not as if we have young kids filling gaps for injured senior players.

always right
20-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Of that team I selected 13 of 22 have played less than 50 games. The list is even because by and large it's unproven. We can't even select on reputation as we have previously, we have to select on potential which is even more subjective. Of course every player will have to fight for selection, because aside from 10 or so players, the rest of the club ARE fringe players.

Even at full strength Higgins is an automatic, Williams probably is too despite having actually produced very little as a senior player, and I'd argue Wood is no automatic selection, so it's not as if we have young kids filling gaps for injured senior players.

Fair points.

bornadog
20-03-2013, 02:21 PM
I think The Age has summed it up well:

PREDICTED TEAM
Morris Markovic Picken
Wood* Roughead Johannisen
Boyd Griffen Wallis
Cooney Williams* Murphy
Dickson Jones Dahlhaus
Minson Liberatore Cross
Giansiracusa Smith Higgins Stevens

On the fringes:

Nick Lower, Brett Goodes, Ayce Cordy, Dylan Addison, Christian Howard, Tom Campbell, Tom Young, Jake Stringer, Lin Jong, Jarrad Grant

Defensive midfielder Nick Lower is likely to start the season given the injuries to a couple of senior players, and he ought to be hard to budge if he holds his pre-season form. Addison is a perennial stop-gap, whole-hearted but unpolished;

Campbell could easily usurp Cordy as second ruck after an impressive first season which saw him elevated from the rookie list; mature-aged back-flanker Brett Goodes must be extremely close to a starting role after impressing in pre-season, especially with Easton Wood in doubt. Ayce Cordy looks like a ruckman trying to play as a forward. An injury to Will Minson appears his best chance to show his wares, unless he can begin clunking grabs in attack.

Markovic's position depends on whether the Dogs continue the experiment of Williams in the forward line. If Williams heads back to join Jordan Roughead, Markovic most likely moves out of the team and key forward Ayce Cordy comes in. Robust youngster Jake Stringer will excite with his attack on the ball when he gets his games.

*Injured (in doubt for the start of the season):
Easton Wood (hamstring)

G-Mo77
20-03-2013, 02:27 PM
I think The Age has summed it up well:

I don't think they did. No Goodes and no Lower show they haven't followed us closely at all in the pre-season. Even if we've got a full list those guys will be playing Round 1.

The multiple * saves them slightly.

bornadog
20-03-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't think they did. No Goodes and no Lower show they haven't followed us closely at all in the pre-season. Even if we've got a full list those guys will be playing Round 1.

The multiple * saves them slightly.

Goodes does seem to be slotted for round one.

When I say nailed it, I meant the summation, but agree on Goodes, not sure about Lower.

F'scary
20-03-2013, 02:34 PM
You might have nailed it mate.

Having only seen one game live, and nothing of our last two I defer to popular consensus around here (apart for F'scary's despisal for Ayce!) and it all seems pretty reasonable.

If Higgins plays well this week however, he'll definitely line up at the expense of Stevens. And Marko might be picked ahead of Young, as we may need extra height to cover for Cornelius not having as crap a game as he did in the NAB final.

With regards to Cordy playing as a forward, I thought I was in company:)

G-Mo77
20-03-2013, 02:35 PM

When I say nailed it, I meant the summation, but agree on Goodes, not sure about Lower.

I'm pretty sure about Lower. He's done everything asked of him in the pre-season so I don't see any reason why they would leave him out.

I see both he and Goodes as players who are setting the bar, it's up to the fringe players to get to that level and push them out. If not then a few will be saying goodbye at the end of season. I want to get games into the kids but I don't want them to get a free ride either.

Greystache
20-03-2013, 02:45 PM

I think Lower's a lock, because he can play a shut down role and he frees up Picken to play a more influential role. He probably adds more than the sum of his parts to a degree.

jeemak
20-03-2013, 03:16 PM
With regards to Cordy playing as a forward, I thought I was in company:)

Not in company with me, my tinned friend.

The only way he'll improve as a forward is if he plays as a forward. He needs to show improvement, sure.

Bulldog Joe
20-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Without any doubt Lower is locked in for round 1.

His effort against Cotchin simply could not be overlooked and he will start as the main tagger.

Brett Goodes is also a near certainty, while Stevens is right in the mix.

Those changes with 3 more mature bodies improves the whole team over where we finished 2012.

bornadog
20-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Without any doubt Lower is locked in for round 1.

His effort against Cotchin simply could not be overlooked and he will start as the main tagger.

Brett Goodes is also a near certainty, while Stevens is right in the mix.

Those changes with 3 more mature bodies improves the whole team over where we finished 2012.

I wasn't doubting Lower, just genuinely wasn't sure how he is progressing with us.

I think we are looking like a competitive outfit. Still worried about CHB and CHF and think Williams if fit should be CHB. Its a very important role in modern football as all the attack starts from the backline.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I'll take a punt.

Backs

Midfield

Forwards

Interchange

Have I missed anyone?

I was very close to your line up apart from having Wood in for Wallis and Campbell instead of Cordy. I would think that Roughy is our best option to take Brown. I didn't consider Williams, Higgins and Stringer because of their interrupted pre-seasons. I would be happy to see Picken and Lower alternating as taggers. Lower has been terrific against both Mitchell and Cotchin and may well be used on Rich. Murphy going forward is good and similarly I can see Cooney spending more time across half forward. I am looking forward to seeing Goodes, Lower, Stevens and Young debuting in the red white and blue.
Expecting improvement in Liberatore Smith and Johannisen.

bornadog
20-03-2013, 05:12 PM
I was very close to your line up apart from having Wood in for Wallis and Campbell instead of Cordy. I would think that Roughy is our best option to take Brown. I didn't consider Williams, Higgins and Stringer because of their interrupted pre-seasons. I would be happy to see Picken and Lower alternating as taggers. Lower has been terrific against both Mitchell and Cotchin and may well be used on Rich. Murphy going forward is good and similarly I can see Cooney spending more time across half forward. I am looking forward to seeing Goodes, Lower, Stevens and Young debuting in the red white and blue.
Expecting improvement in Liberatore Smith and Johannisen.

You think Young will line up for the first round?

Ozza
20-03-2013, 06:09 PM
HB: Lower Markovic Goodes
C- Picken Boyd Griffen
F- Gia Cordy Dickson

R- Minson, Libba, Cooney

Sub- Stevens

GS - do you think Higgins is not yet ready/fit enough - or just shouldn't be in the team for Round 1?

I would have thought if he gets through the VFL game this week well enough then he would play.

Greystache
20-03-2013, 06:20 PM
GS - do you think Higgins is not yet ready/fit enough - or just shouldn't be in the team for Round 1?

I would have thought if he gets through the VFL game this week well enough then he would play.

I'd left him out due to fitness, but I guess if he plays this weekend he is probably a chance to play round 1. I thought the second half of last season was probably the best footy he's played in the last 3 years and gave me some hope he still may be able to contribute at AFL level. If he's fit he plays as far as I'm concerned.

chef
20-03-2013, 06:32 PM
FB Morris Roughead JJ
HB Goodes Young Addison
C Lower Boyd Wallis
HF Cross Murphy Dickson
FF Dahlhaus Jones Gia
R Minson Griffen Cooney
IN Picken Smith Liba
S Higgins

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-03-2013, 07:27 PM
You think Young will line up for the first round?

I think that Young will get the nod over Talia or Markovic at CHB, due to Williams being under done.

G-Mo77
20-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Does anyone think a rookie could get a call up in Round 1? I personally don't think it will happen but have an idea in my head that the WB would love to debut one of them to generate a bit of publicity and excitement.

If Stringer was available I reckon they would have played him in this scenario. Macrae? Hrovat? Any chance?

Hotdog60
20-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Does anyone think a rookie could get a call up in Round 1? I personally don't think it will happen but have an idea in my head that the WB would love to debut one of them to generate a bit of publicity and excitement.

If Stringer was available I reckon they would have played him in this scenario. Macrae? Hrovat? Any chance?

With Goodes getting the last spot on the list I believe we would need a LTI for a rookie to get the nod.

Unless I've miss read your post and by rookie your mean the new draftees.:)

lemmon
20-03-2013, 09:01 PM

Macrae might be a sneaky I reckon, looks no less developed than Dyson Heppell was. Hrovat and Stringer need a few more games under their belt

Mantis
20-03-2013, 09:03 PM
FB Morris Roughead JJ
HB Goodes Young Addison
C Lower Boyd Wallis
HF Cross Murphy Higgins
FF Dahlhaus Jones Gia
R Minson Griffen Cooney
IN Picken Smith Liba
S Stevens

Can we go in with a team that has just 3 members over 191cm?

G-Mo77
20-03-2013, 09:15 PM
With Goodes getting the last spot on the list I believe we would need a LTI for a rookie to get the nod.

Unless I've miss read your post and by rookie your mean the new draftees.:)

Yeah i meant the new draftees.

chef
20-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Can we go in with a team that has just 3 members over 191cm?

Cordy and Markovic don't fill me with confidence and Williams, Talia and Campbell probably won't be ready.

F'scary
20-03-2013, 10:54 PM
My selection

B: Dylan “DFA” Addison, Jordan “Pretty Boy” Roughead, Brett “The” Goodes

HB: Jason “JJ” Johanissen, Dale “The Glove” Morris, Liam “Slim” Picken

C: Adam “The Coon Dog” Cooney, Matthew “Captain Courageous” Boyd, Thomas “Pedro” Liberatore

HF: Robert “Bob” Murphy, Liam “The Jones Boy” Jones, Tory “Spelling” Dickson

FF: Clay “The Beast” Smith, Jake “The Bean” Stringer, Lukas “German Engineering” Dahlhaus

R: “Big” Will Minson, Ryan “Gogriff” Griffen, Mitchell “Napoleon” Wallis

I: Nick “Cruel to be Kind” Lower, Kobe “Shakin’” Stevens, Daniel “Chris” Cross, Shaun “The Professor” Higgins (s)

E: “Bluey” Young, Daniel “Guido” Giansiracusa, Ayce “The Ace in the Pack” Cordy

After the last half of 2012 season, I am going for some bigger, harder bodies.

Jones & Roughead to help out with the ruck in their respective 50m arcs.
Get some WOW factor in the side and start playing Stringer straight away.

GVGjr
20-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Cordy and Markovic don't fill me with confidence and Williams, Talia and Campbell probably won't be ready.

So who provides Minson some relief? Jones?

F'scary
20-03-2013, 11:20 PM

Maybe rotate the ruckmen through the twos or an R&R weekend. E.g. Play Minson for 6 matches. Give him a break and play Cordy/Campbell for 1 match. The side looks and plays awful with out-and-out ruckmen bogging up the forward line. We have to move on from the failed forward structures of 2012.

whythelongface
20-03-2013, 11:20 PM
My selection

B: Dylan “DFA” Addison, Jordan “Pretty Boy” Roughead, Brett “The” Goodes

HB: Jason “JJ” Johanissen, Dale “The Glove” Morris, Liam “Slim” Picken

C: Adam “The Coon Dog” Cooney, Matthew “Captain Courageous” Boyd, Thomas “Pedro” Liberatore

HF: Robert “Bob” Murphy, Liam “The Jones Boy” Jones, Tory “Spelling” Dickson

FF: Clay “The Beast” Smith, Jake “The Bean” Stringer, Lukas “German Engineering” Dahlhaus

R: “Big” Will Minson, Ryan “Gogriff” Griffen, Mitchell “Napoleon” Wallis

I: Nick “Cruel to be Kind” Lower, Kobe “Shakin’” Stevens, Daniel “Chris” Cross, Shaun “The Professor” Higgins (s)

E: “Bluey” Young, Daniel “Guido” Giansiracusa, Ayce “The Ace in the Pack” Cordy

After the last half of 2012 season, I am going for some bigger, harder bodies.

Jones & Roughead to help out with the ruck in their respective 50m arcs.
Get some WOW factor in the side and start playing Stringer straight away.

Nice nicknames F'scray. Just one I don't get: Luke "German Engineering" Dahlhaus.

F'scary
20-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Nice nicknames F'scray. Just one I don't get: Luke "German Engineering" Dahlhaus.

German surname + the way he moves

whythelongface
20-03-2013, 11:26 PM
German surname + the way he moves

ah I get it now - he actually has a Dutch background, even though his name could be construed as German by the way it is spelt. He certainly has movement like a fine Porsche.

F'scary
20-03-2013, 11:49 PM
ah I get it now - he actually has a Dutch background, even though his name could be construed as German by the way it is spelt. He certainly has movement like a fine Porsche.

Do you think we can call him "The Clog?" Back to the drawing board.

F'scary
20-03-2013, 11:51 PM

And did you notice: we have 4 singers on the bench!

sorry got to sign off - get some zzz's.

Mantis
21-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Maybe rotate the ruckmen through the twos or an R&R weekend. E.g. Play Minson for 6 matches. Give him a break and play Cordy/Campbell for 1 match. The side looks and plays awful with out-and-out ruckmen bogging up the forward line. We have to move on from the failed forward structures of 2012.

Minson (or any other ruckman) can't ruck for 100% of the game.

If Jones rucks while Minson is resting our forwardline will have no one down there over 6'1".

chef
21-03-2013, 07:26 AM

Roughead and Jones.

Bulldog Joe
21-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Roughead and Jones.

If Roughead is playing KPD we will kill him if we ask him to ruck in the same game.

Perhaps you expect Jonathon Brown (or Pavlich/Buddy) will just take time on the sideline until Roughy is ready to resume in the backline.

chef
21-03-2013, 07:46 AM
If Roughead is playing KPD we will kill him if we ask him to ruck in the same game.

Perhaps you expect Jonathon Brown (or Pavlich/Buddy) will just take time on the sideline until Roughy is ready to resume in the backline.

What about Morris and is Young viewed as someone who can play as a KPD?

Brisbane only have one gorilla so playing another KPD like Markovic just for the sake of it doesn't appeal to me.

We are talking about rucking for 5 minutes a quarter, I don't see the point of playing a specialised player(which Cordy is) for that amount of time. If William was fit he would also be in the mix to do this.

GVGjr
21-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Roughead and Jones.

Small backline if Roughead is getting his won rests and then providing a spell for Minson.

Same with the forward line of we use Jones.

chef
21-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Small backline if Roughead is getting his won rests and then providing a spell for Minson.

My thinking was Brisbane have only one big KPF, which Morris can cover. And I don't think Cordy offers enough when forward. Talia and Williams would be handy if they are fit to take on the Lions.

F'scary
21-03-2013, 01:50 PM

I agree we have a problem. But maybe it is better to have the ruck-rover or the full-back or even the rover go up in the ruck occasionally than have a resting ruck on the forward line who does little or nothing effective as a forward - might as well be playing one short at times even. It would be different if for a 2nd ruck we had Nic Nat, etc. But we don't. So we need some other kind of strategy. There's got to be other clubs with the same personnel limitation we have. What are they doing?

Some other options: 2nd ruck is part of the interchange bench. Or ruckmen change in the back pocket. Any thoughts on these anyone?

bornadog
21-03-2013, 02:05 PM
I agree we have a problem. But maybe it is better to have the ruck-rover or the full-back or even the rover go up in the ruck occasionally than have a resting ruck on the forward line who does little or nothing effective as a forward - might as well be playing one short at times even. It would be different if for a 2nd ruck we had Nic Nat, etc. But we don't. So we need some other kind of strategy. There's got to be other clubs with the same personnel limitation we have. What are they doing?

Some other options: 2nd ruck is part of the interchange bench. Or ruckmen change in the back pocket. Any thoughts on these anyone?

It will never work. You can't have your fullback in the ruck. Get over it, Ayce is being slotted as the 2nd Ruck, resting forward and we must have confidence in the MC. He hasn't been as bad as you make out in the practise matches. He has provided some goal assists and kicked a couple, brought the ball down for others to grab and have a shot.

Lets give him a go and see how he is going before we stick the knife in.

Bulldog Joe
21-03-2013, 02:29 PM
It will never work. You can't have your fullback in the ruck. Get over it, Ayce is being slotted as the 2nd Ruck, resting forward and we must have confidence in the MC. He hasn't been as bad as you make out in the practise matches. He has provided some goal assists and kicked a couple, brought the ball down for others to grab and have a shot.

Well said.

Ayce was very competitive against Richmond and even won a few hitouts, as well as providing the contest forward. His ground level work was sound also.

stefoid
21-03-2013, 02:48 PM
surely Dalhaus's nickname must be Barbie.

Bulldog Joe
21-03-2013, 03:02 PM

That's the name i think of.

craigsahibee
21-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Like it :D

Also like the Napoleon/Pedro combination with Wallis and Liberatore, although Dermie's call of "Horshack" for Libba is also a good one.

Cyberdoggie
21-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Like it :D

Also like the Napoleon/Pedro combination with Wallis and Liberatore, although Dermie's call of "Horshack" for Libba is also a good one.

Perhaps for a different generation. ;)

F'scary
21-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Ok but I wonder if it will be a case of Et tu, BAD?:)

Maddog37
21-03-2013, 03:58 PM
I want Cordy in the team. He helps our structure IMHO.

F'scary
21-03-2013, 04:01 PM

Barbie Doll House (Dahlhaus). I will pay that one.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-03-2013, 04:34 PM
No Picken?

Wasn't that a post for the NAB? Anyway I think Picken will have his best year yet this year but will be played in various positions on an 'as needs' basis. He could tag Rich in Rd 1 or play HFF as a defensive forward who has a good kick on him and goal sense.

Pickenitup
21-03-2013, 08:07 PM
B:Morris Roughead Goodes
Hb JJ, Markovic Stevens
C Griffen Boyd Wallis
Hf Murphy Jones Picken
F Gia Cordy Dalhaus
R Minson Cross Liberatore
I/C Cooney Lower Smith Macare

I have left Higgins and Williams Out due to injuries
Tom Young i thought about but i opted to go with Markovic

SlimPickens
22-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Barbie Doll House (Dahlhaus). I will pay that one.

Liam Jones is affectionately known as "Stinky" amongst the group I go with. For all you Hey Arnold fans.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=stinky+hey+arnold&hl=en&client=safari&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=WYVLUdrWIcGWkQXJzYGwCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=364#biv=i%7C1%3Bd%7CVjT_vyRzcIX8fM%3A

Ozza
22-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Liam Jones is affectionately known as "Stinky" amongst the group I go with. For all you Hey Arnold fans.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=stinky+hey+arnold&hl=en&client=safari&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=WYVLUdrWIcGWkQXJzYGwCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=364#biv=i%7C1%3Bd%7CVjT_vyRzcIX8fM%3A

Thats a pretty good likeness! Have never heard of the show - but Stinky is a dead ringer for LJ.

The Underdog
22-03-2013, 10:39 AM
I'll take a punt.

Backs

Midfield

Forwards

Interchange

Have I missed anyone?

I'm about the same as you. The CHB spot is tough, you'd think eventually Williams comes back to it or Talia gets thrown in there to get some experience.
Williams probably gets a look either at CHB or takes Cordy's FF/2nd Ruck spot when he comes back.
There's certainly a lot of similiar comp for the mid/forward spots. Hopefully the competition for spots leads to a more competetive team.

F'scary
22-03-2013, 01:15 PM

duly noted. ...but I'm not sure he'd be happy;)

Go_Dogs
25-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Ok, so with Boyd out, here's my crack at our round 1 side.

B: Morris, Roughead, Cross
HB: Picken, Markovic, Goodes
C: Wallis, Lower, Cooney
HF: Gia, Jones, Murphy
F: Dahlhaus, Cordy, Dickson
R: Minson, Libba, Griffen
B: JJ, Smith, Stevens, Higgins (sub)

Cross won't really play as a true defender, but I think we'll want him on to start. The rest of the defenders pick themselves although Picken/Lower could be swapped as mids or defenders on the team sheet. Think we have to go with Markovic as the extra solid body down there although see some merits in going with Young too. It seems Talia will be given more time but to me at least is the best longer term option for CHB.

Lower and Picken to shutdown/tag, Griff to have to win more ball inside with Boyd out, and Libba/Wallis will need to continue on too. If Griff does have a greater inside role we're going to need Cooney providing plenty of run - maybe we go the other way with them? Forward line won't change much until we have a few more fit options, Wlliams and Higgins both good chances as they get more match fitness.

JJ to play off the back half, Smith a certainty with Boyd out (if he wasn't already) and think Stevens is the next in line. Higgins I'd play as sub given he did get through most of the pre-season I'd back him in to run out 30 odd minutes of game time, the risk of a game ending injury early to one of the 21 could work against him being named.

G-Mo77
25-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Here's a little tweet from Sam Landsberger whos a good source for Bulldogs news.

Sam Landsberger ‏@SamLandsberger
Matty Boyd has missed one game since Rd 11 2005. Remarkably durable but a big blow now. But Dogs ready to unveil Jake Stringer v the Lions.

That may pick most of us up after hearing Boyd will miss 3 weeks.

Remi Moses
25-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Be surprised if they go with both Stringer and Higgins.
Both underdone.

Go_Dogs
25-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Here's a little tweet from Sam Landsberger whos a good source for Bulldogs news.

Sam Landsberger ‏@SamLandsberger
Matty Boyd has missed one game since Rd 11 2005. Remarkably durable but a big blow now. But Dogs ready to unveil Jake Stringer v the Lions.

That may pick most of us up after hearing Boyd will miss 3 weeks.

Would be great to see Stringer get a run, will add plenty of interest and excitement.

Dog54
25-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Think sammy may be off the mark. Make Jake earn a game. One qtr of footy surely not enough to warrant selection.

1eyedog
26-03-2013, 12:00 AM
There are a lot of factors that go into team selection, form is one of them but if we went on form over the past two years we'd play less than half a side. Many players who have played over the past two years certainly have not earnt a game through consistent good form at either the Bulldogs or Willy (Jones, Cordy, Howard, Wood, Higgins), so why not play Stringer?

I don't mind him having a go, big wraps, get the fans up and about with some exciting talent and sate their appetite. I'd play Stevens as well for similar reasons.

Dry Rot
26-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Been away down the South Coast cut off from the net. What's happened to Boyd?

AndrewP6
26-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Been away down the South Coast cut off from the net. What's happened to Boyd?

Calf strain

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-skipper-matthew-boyd-out-for-2-3-weeks/story-fnelctok-1226605765798

Dry Rot
26-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Calf strain

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-skipper-matthew-boyd-out-for-2-3-weeks/story-fnelctok-1226605765798

Thanks. Not good news.

So who's out in Rd 1?

Boyd, Cooney, Williams, Higgins, Stringer?

Ghost Dog
26-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Missed one game since 2005! Incredible. Boydy, have a day off!

The Bulldogs Bite
26-03-2013, 02:29 AM
It'd be a strange decision to play Stringer given he's only played a quarter of footy so far this year.

Bulldog Revolution
26-03-2013, 07:01 AM
It'd be a strange decision to play Stringer given he's only played a quarter of footy so far this year.

Ridiculous

Would make far more sense to start Macrae as the sub given hes appeared in every senior game

G-Mo77
26-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Ridiculous

Would make far more sense to start Macrae as the sub given hes appeared in every senior game

I'd like to think Macrae has done more to earn it, still I'd have no problems with Stringer coming in.

Forget that sub start as well, first gamers should start on the ground.

Bulldog Revolution
26-03-2013, 09:49 AM
I'd like to think Macrae has done more to earn it, still I'd have no problems with Stringer coming in.

Forget that sub start as well, first gamers should start on the ground.

Why?

Its not a bad way of introducing a kid to senior footy

Yes, the kid would prefer to start on the ground, but surely they prefer to get a game than to not?

Mantis
26-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Missed one game since 2005! Incredible. Boydy, have a day off!

Hasn't he just had nearly 8 months off?

G-Mo77
26-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Why?

Its not a bad way of introducing a kid to senior footy

IMO, yes it is. The kid is going to be nervous as hell in their first game why let them stew for 3 quarters. Show confidence in the selection and play them.

I'll never forget Mitch Wallis' debut against Freo. Sat for 3 quarters and then throw to the wolves in a tight contest. Made two mistakes as soon as he got on the ground which I believe resulted in goals and we dropped the game by a kick. That would have done wonders for his confidence.

Mantis
26-03-2013, 12:00 PM
IMO, yes it is. The kid is going to be nervous as hell in their first game why let them stew for 3 quarters. Show confidence in the selection and play them.

I'll never forget Mitch Wallis' debut against Freo. Sat for 3 quarters and then throw to the wolves in a tight contest. Made two mistakes as soon as he got on the ground which I believe resulted in goals and we dropped the game by a kick. That would have done wonders for his confidence.

In an ideal world I agree with you, but in this instance you would think that Stringer would have to be a little under-done due to the injury he sustained and would be unable to play a full game.... I don't think we can go into a rd 1 game with a starting 21 player being under-done, especially when this player is in his first year.

And although he would be the likely player to be subbed off, any injury to another player will throw this idea out the window and could leave us with a problem.

Cyberdoggie
26-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Also adding in the factor that he's mostly a forward.

Is it wise to have a key forward as a sub given that the game will open up and run is usually needed at the end of a game.

The coach made this mistake early last year as well by having Grant as a sub.

Round 1 will be a fast and furious game, players may of just had a pre-season but there is nothing like match fitness and none of them will have played a game like this.

Both Freo and Essendon were behind early in their matches but they prevailed because they were able to apply pressure and they had more runners in the second half.

If we go in with an underdone forward as a sub we might as well hand the game over now.

G-Mo77
26-03-2013, 12:32 PM
In an ideal world I agree with you, but in this instance you would think that Stringer would have to be a little under-done due to the injury he sustained and would be unable to play a full game.... I don't think we can go into a rd 1 game with a starting 21 player being under-done, especially when this player is in his first year.

And although he would be the likely player to be subbed off, any injury to another player will throw this idea out the window and could leave us with a problem.

I was actually talking about the idea of Macrae as the sub. I'd start him.

I don't disagree about with what you're saying either. If they select Stringer I would hope that he is not under-done and ready for AFL football.

Mofra
26-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Is the possible selection of Stringer a "show him where he's at" type of selection? I think we tried it with Hill & Grant in the past, but fromt he outside looking in Stringer doesn't seem anywhere near as larconic as those two.

Losing Boyd means one of our elite gut-runners is gone, although I think Smith will surprise a few.

F'scary
26-03-2013, 01:46 PM
So Boyd not available and the Coon Dog + the Professor doubtful.

This is it, folks. Geronimo! Bring out Stringer, Macrae & Hrovat.

LostDoggy
26-03-2013, 02:33 PM
So Boyd not available and the Coon Dog + the Professor doubtful.

This is it, folks. Geronimo! Bring out Stringer, Macrae & Hrovat.

To be honest i wouldn't hate this idea. With Boydy gone down i think our chances are slim at best. A big Welcome to AFL round 1 would be massive for the three of them. * Fitness pending.

Cyberdoggie
26-03-2013, 02:47 PM
To be honest i wouldn't hate this idea. With Boydy gone down i think our chances are slim at best. A big Welcome to AFL round 1 would be massive for the three of them. * Fitness pending.

There will be plenty of time to unveil these new players in the coming rounds.

No absolute need to do it round 1.

Pick the best team that will give us a chance of winning.

F'scary
26-03-2013, 04:10 PM
There will be plenty of time to unveil these new players in the coming rounds.

No absolute need to do it round 1.

Pick the best team that will give us a chance of winning.

I have Stevens, Goodes, Lower & Smith in the team already. Maybe Pearce, Howard & Grant would be an alternative to blooding the 3 draft high picks.

soupman
26-03-2013, 04:19 PM
No need to rush the draftees in too quickly. The only one I would consider this week would be Macrae, based on him having played the entire pre-season in the ones.

On the sub the first gamer issue, could the limited rotations impact this somewhat in encouraging the club to pick a best and fittest first 21, taking less risks on players who may be underdone?

LostDoggy
26-03-2013, 04:24 PM
HB: Lower, Young, Goodes
C: Wallis, Smith, Griffin
HF: Dahlhaus, Jones, Gia
F: Murphy, Cordy, Dickson
R: Minson, Stevens, Libba
IC: JJ, Macrae, Tutt, Higgins (sub)

bornadog
26-03-2013, 04:37 PM

No room for Picken?

Cyberdoggie
26-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Maybe Pearce, Howard & Grant would be an alternative to blooding the 3 draft high picks.

Again the best players that give us a chance of winning :)

In all seriousness finding a player to replace Boyd that has shown any form from outside the 22 isn't easy.

Going on the Richmond practice game none of the above played. Only Tutt and Hrovat would be options, unless the coach will bring in Higgins for Boyd and maybe Stringer or Macrae to fill another role.

I will be very interested to see how the Richmond v Carlton game goes on thursday. If it follows a similar path of the other two games where ability and number of runners in the second half wins the game then we may have to change a few things, as we have too many slow inside plodders. Tutt should come under consideration.

always right
26-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Reckon McCrae will be our sub and Cooney will play. Higgins in for Boyd.
Going by the coach's comments, I expect to see Young in and Markovic out. Not unhappy with this.

Dazza
26-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Again the best players that give us a chance of winning :)

In all seriousness finding a player to replace Boyd that has shown any form from outside the 22 isn't easy.

Going on the Richmond practice game none of the above played. Only Tutt and Hrovat would be options, unless the coach will bring in Higgins for Boyd and maybe Stringer or Macrae to fill another role.

I will be very interested to see how the Richmond v Carlton game goes on thursday. If it follows a similar path of the other two games where ability and number of runners in the second half wins the game then we may have to change a few things, as we have too many slow inside plodders. Tutt should come under consideration.

Unless Tutt finds form in the VFL I doubt we'll see much of him this year. His game against Richmond was very disappointing.

Eastdog
26-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Cross in the backline? Has he played there before. Cordy at FF still not sure how he'll go there.

The midfield is where our strength is at the moment. Defence and Forward we have work to do there.

Go_Dogs
26-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Cross in the backline? Has he played there before. Cordy at FF still not sure how he'll go there.

The midfield is where our strength is at the moment. Defence and Forward we have work to do there.

Without wanting to speak for Superdog, I named Cross in the back pocket too, mainly because there's a need to fit him in and others I preferred to name in the midfield. I don't think he'll play as a pure defender, but expect we'll see him floating around taking marks in the hole down back as we're accustomed to.

Agree on Cordy, but as back up ruck he's a required player and we need to persist with him. He's a certainty for mine.

Our midfield is definitely our strength but if a few players progress as we'd hope as forwards and defenders we might see some good improvements in those areas.

Getting pretty excited for the game now.

Eastdog
26-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Are we any chance to beat the Lions? If they have a bad day and we take full advantage who knows. Will the midfield be where the game is won or lost.

AndrewP6
26-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Are we any chance to beat the Lions? If they have a bad day and we take full advantage who knows. Will the midfield be where the game is won or lost.

Not in my book.

Go_Dogs
26-03-2013, 08:39 PM

I think we're definitely a chance and getting reward on the scoreboard for midfield ascendency is where the game will be won. Hopefully we can make the most of our opportunities when they present.

Eastdog
26-03-2013, 09:02 PM
I think we're definitely a chance and getting reward on the scoreboard for midfield ascendency is where the game will be won. Hopefully we can make the most of our opportunities when they present.

Our forward line has too work well if we are going to make the scoreboard look good for us. If that isn't working will struggle to score goals.

LostDoggy
26-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Not in my book.

Someone told me once to not be Fooled by Nab Cup form, it was just a Practice match blah blah. So in that case we have an Excellent Chance. :D

F'scary
26-03-2013, 10:07 PM

This is good. But I would have Pearce in instead of Tutt. And Stringer instead of Cordy as FF.

Bold selection with Young at CHB instead of a more proven warhorse like Markovic but I like where you are coming from.

bornadog
26-03-2013, 11:49 PM
This is good. But I would have Pearce in instead of Tutt. And Stringer instead of Cordy as FF.

Bold selection with Young at CHB instead of a more proven warhorse like Markovic but I like where you are coming from.

No Picken in that team

Eastdog
26-03-2013, 11:51 PM
No Picken in that team

Why isn't Picken selected? I'm guessing he has an injury maybe.

bornadog
26-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Why isn't Picken selected? I'm guessing he has an injury maybe.

Not sure what you are talking about?

This thread is for our guesses and superdog didn't have Picken in, and I believe he made a mistake.

Eastdog
27-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Not sure what you are talking about?

This thread is for our guesses and superdog didn't have Picken in, and I believe he made a mistake.

Ok they were just guessing the team for Saturday and Picken wasn't there. It's strange though that in their teams guessed that he wouldn't be selected. I would say that there surely would be a spot for him in the starting 22 this Saturday.

jeemak
27-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Ok they were just guessing the team for Saturday and Picken wasn't there. It's strange though that in their teams guessed that he wouldn't be selected. I would say that there surely would be a spot for him in the starting 22 this Saturday.

It's most certainly an accidental oversight Eastdog.

If it was Gia, then maybe I'd be second guessing. But it's Picken, the man who for many can do no wrong! :p

Eastdog
27-03-2013, 12:54 AM
It's most certainly an accidental oversight Eastdog.

If it was Gia, then maybe I'd be second guessing. But it's Picken, the man who for many can do no wrong! :p

Picken is the kind of player that you know is going to give it his all.

jeemak
27-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Picken is the kind of player that you know is going to give it his all.

No doubt about that.

Eastdog
27-03-2013, 01:01 AM
No doubt about that.

Who do you reckon will this season jeemak nail down the FF position? Will Cordy improve there? Could Matty Panos who was delisted come in handy now.

jeemak
27-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Eastdog, I don't think Panos was seen as a player that could have been more than a short term option for us in any position. He may have had one or two productive seasons for us, but from a long term perspective I think those in charge of managing the list wouldn't have seen him as the best option in any of those positions long term. Meaning he'd have to make way for other players to develop within them.

Our forward line is a worry, I agree, and Cordy isn't a full forward in a true sense. Eventually Stringer could play there, but he's underdone and too much expectation on him to perform and develop within the role at this stage is counter productive. Hopefully he can show some form there over the middle to second half of the season.

In the meantime, I think Bob Murphy and Jones will play a big hand around the CHF and HF region of the ground, while Cordy will fill in at FF and FP, playing second ruck as well.

Cordy isn't going to be our number one ruckman, ever. He's going to be a second ruckman that can hold down a FP role and kick a couple of goals a game.

He's not at the standard where he can do that consistently, and won't be for a while however, the only way he'll learn to be that player is if he is given games as a forward pocket and full forward while we wait for Stringer to develop.

It's going to take time, though I see it playing out as Jones being the CHF, Stringer being the FF and Cordy being the second ruck and FP.

Maybe Campbell can challenge for first ruck once Minson is finishing up, while Redpath and Roberts can put their hands up to take on a KPF role in time. But at this stage, Cordy's the man for second ruck/FP, and he needs senior games and time to develop into that role.

jeemak
27-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Anyway, my team:

B: Morris, Roughead, Picken
HF: Dahlhaus, Jones, Murphy
F: Gianiracusa, Cordy, Dickson
R: Minson, Cooney, Libba
IC: JJ, Cross, Higgins, Stevens (Sub)

I don't think they'll line up like that necessarily, a lot will depend on how Brisbane present. Whoever the coaching panel determine is the most damaging Brisbane midfielder will end up with Picken marking him, with JJ coming on to the field to replace Picken at BP, and Smith going to the bench. Lower and Picken to swap on the most damaging forward later in the game depending on impact.

If Cooney is fit he'll start on the ball to add an element of danger to our midfield, allowing us to at least start the game on the front foot.

Hotdog60
27-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Anyway, my team:

B: Morris, Roughead, Picken
F: Gianiracusa, Cordy, Dickson
IC: JJ, Cross, Higgins, Stevens (Sub)

With the coach saying that the mature recruits will start this weekend I think you have nailed the side. With Boyd out I think Stevens will start on the ground so the sub might be JJ.

The Underdog
27-03-2013, 08:15 AM

Since when does proven warhorse mean borderline AFL level talent who has played 25 senior games and proven little? Young has played 9 games, is roughly the same size and more flexible in who he can play on. I don't think it's that bold a call but agree that I like it (in context).

whythelongface
27-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Since when does proven warhorse mean borderline AFL level talent who has played 25 senior games and proven little? Young has played 9 games, is roughly the same size and more flexible in who he can play on. I don't think it's that bold a call but agree that I like it (in context).

Interesting about Young's height - I didn't realise that he was 191cm compared to Markovic being 193cm. I actually thought that Markovic was about 5 or 6cm taller. I initially had Markovic in the team but, as others have alluded to, Young may provide us with more flexibility.

B: Morris, Roughead, JJ
C: Wallis, Smith, Griffen
F: Picken, Cordy, Dickson
IC: Stevens, Cross, Gia, Higgins (Sub)

Axe Man
27-03-2013, 10:36 AM
With the coach saying that the mature recruits will start this weekend I think you have nailed the side. With Boyd out I think Stevens will start on the ground so the sub might be JJ.

McCartney said that three of the four would play. If that's true you would think Young or Stevens will miss out.

whythelongface
27-03-2013, 10:41 AM
McCartney said that three of the four would play. If that's true you would think Young or Stevens will miss out.

That was prior to Boyd's injury. There may be the opportunity that all four play.

Mofra
27-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Since when does proven warhorse mean borderline AFL level talent who has played 25 senior games and proven little?
Marko has a top 10 finish at an AFL club ;)

I like his endeavour but we do have much better KPD talent on the list - Roughy is best 22, Williams is when fit, Talia will be, I like Roberst forward but the club seem to see him as a back/swingman, and Morris can play tall (and msart) when need be.

I would like to see Young get a run - I was a little critical of this trade but I may be proven wrong (happily)

F'scary
27-03-2013, 12:23 PM
No Picken in that team

well spotted. Must be an oversight - easy to do

F'scary
27-03-2013, 12:31 PM

I used "warhorse" because it implies solid but unspectacular. Marko is slightly taller and may have an advantage in body strength and more nous about spoiling in marking contests. Young appears to have speed, ball gathering, running, linking and rebounding advantages over Marko. But if Young demonstrates the ability to spoil well in contested marking situations, he could be a reasonable option at CHB given that the position is a bit open to all-comers at the moment.

Axe Man
27-03-2013, 12:55 PM
That was prior to Boyd's injury. There may be the opportunity that all four play.

That's not correct. He said in yesterday's press conference "probably three of them will play". I know that's not definitive but he is certainly indicating that one may miss out.

The Underdog
27-03-2013, 01:20 PM
I used "warhorse" because it implies solid but unspectacular. Marko is slightly taller and may have an advantage in body strength and more nous about spoiling in marking contests. Young appears to have speed, ball gathering, running, linking and rebounding advantages over Marko. But if Young demonstrates the ability to spoil well in contested marking situations, he could be a reasonable option at CHB given that the position is a bit open to all-comers at the moment.

You also used proven, if you mean he's proven to be unspectacular I completely agree, i'm not sure he's proven much else. I also concur with the rest of what you're saying. I don't mind Young playing short term but I'd much rather see Williams or Talia in the spot.

F'scary
27-03-2013, 01:59 PM
You also used proven, if you mean he's proven to be unspectacular I completely agree, i'm not sure he's proven much else. I also concur with the rest of what you're saying. I don't mind Young playing short term but I'd much rather see Williams or Talia in the spot.

I agree with you. Talia in particular. And yes, proven to be be unspectacular but Marko has a solid enough side to his game, he contests pack marking situations well enough and makes the gorillas work hard enough in the one-on-ones (it was Austin on Kennedy that day, wasn't it?) such that I would not be dropping him off the list too quickly. A backup tall defender, so to speak. Could still improve.

Axe Man
27-03-2013, 02:10 PM
it was Austin on Kennedy that day, wasn't it?

No it was Markovic on 2 separate occasions (2011 & 2012). Austin hasn't even played a game against West Coast for us.

Greystache
27-03-2013, 02:11 PM
No it was Markovic on 2 separate occasions (2011 & 2012). Austin hasn't even played a game against West Coast for us.

2011 was an even mix of Williams and Markovic

always right
27-03-2013, 02:18 PM

...and even Morris if I recall correctly. We had no-one to stop him.

Axe Man
27-03-2013, 02:18 PM

True, I wasn't having a go at Markovic, just clearing Austin's name. Doubt there was much anyone could have done in 2011 given the way we were slaughtered all over the ground. 2012 was fairly disappointing however.

Eastdog
27-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Is there worry come Saturday with the defence. Will we be able to keep Brisbane to reasonably score.

Dancin' Douggy
27-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Interesting about Young's height - I didn't realise that he was 191cm compared to Markovic being 193cm. I actually thought that Markovic was about 5 or 6cm taller. I initially had Markovic in the team but, as others have alluded to, Young may provide us with more flexibility.

B: Morris, Roughead, JJ
C: Wallis, Smith, Griffen
F: Picken, Cordy, Dickson
IC: Stevens, Cross, Gia, Higgins (Sub)

Both the afl season guide and the Age pre season magazine have young at 195cm.
Is this a mistake?

bornadog
27-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Is there worry come Saturday with the defence. Will we be able to keep Brisbane to reasonably score.

Last year they smashed us by 58 and 67 points, so the answer is yes.

whythelongface
27-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Both the afl season guide and the Age pre season magazine have young at 195cm.
Is this a mistake?

I just did a google search and found the info on wikipedia. I actually thought he was shorter than 191cm.

If he is indeed 195cm, as stated, then a crack at CHB is surely in order considering he seems to have a bit more agility than Markovic.

bornadog
27-03-2013, 05:03 PM
I just did a google search and found the info on wikipedia. I actually thought he was shorter than 191cm.

If he is indeed 195cm, as stated, then a crack at CHB is surely in order considering he seems to have a bit more agility than Markovic.

He is a month off being 21 years old, maybe he has grown since first playing with Collingwood. His bio on the clubs website is paste and copy from Collingwood.

Enjoyed another consistent season, playing 16 games in the VFL before he was finally rewarded with a senior call up in round 22 against the Brisbane Lions. Made a huge impression, winning 23 possessions and kicking two goals from the half back flank. Was used as the substitute in round 23 against Fremantle in Perth and was omitted the next week. Moves gracefully and never panics when in possession. Looks to be a long term prospect Pies fans can bank on. Also became the first noted redhead to play for Collingwood since Jason Wild (1995-1999), and took over Josh Fraser's No. 25 guernsey.

Dancin' Douggy
27-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Pretty interesting. If it's true I has no idea he was that tall, or that young.

Axe Man
27-03-2013, 05:27 PM
I doubt Young is 195, he certainly doesn't look 195 on the field (I know looks can be deceiving and all).

Stevens is listed as 187 and looks fairly close in height to Young here:
http://images.theage.com.au/2013/01/16/3956700/art-wbAFLstevensyoung-620x349.jpg

191 seems about right.

always right
27-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Definitely not 195......I think 191 would be right.

wimberga
27-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Just saw in the injury update on WB website that Stringer is progressing well and available for selection this week?

Is he any chance to debut round 1?

Eastdog
27-03-2013, 08:14 PM
What time will the official team sheet be released?

G-Mo77
27-03-2013, 08:30 PM
What time will the official team sheet be released?

Tomorrow 6.20. Gotta wait for those tools at Channel 7 to air them.

Eastdog
27-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Tomorrow 6.20. Gotta wait for those tools at Channel 7 to air them.

Knowing Channel 7 they'll rush through our match.

G-Mo77
27-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Knowing Channel 7 they'll rush through our match.

They'll show it in the Banner on the bottom of screen. We should be happy with that and that only. :D

Cyberdoggie
27-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Looks like Lower has officially been groomed as a tagger.

The coach has procured Cameron Ling to give him some advice and he has also spoken Tony Liberatore as well.

Will be interesting if Picken is released more or if he continues his usual role but with Lower as support.

bornadog
28-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Looks like Lower has officially been groomed as a tagger.

The coach has procured Cameron Ling to give him some advice and he has also spoken Tony Liberatore as well.

Will be interesting if Picken is released more or if he continues his usual role but with Lower as support.

Its great the coach is not afraid to bring in some of the best in the business to help out

soupman
28-03-2013, 08:49 AM
I know Lings advice. Just hold onto your opponents jumper. Hated watching him tag Cooney.

Cyberdoggie
28-03-2013, 01:40 PM
I know Lings advice. Just hold onto your opponents jumper. Hated watching him tag Cooney.

Good thing he didn't ask Steven Baker's advice :)

F'scary
28-03-2013, 02:02 PM

Ouch! There goes my theory.

jeemak
28-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Official:

FB - Morris, Roughead, Picken
HB - Johannisen, Young, Goodes
C - Cooney, Lower, Stevens
HF - Murphy, Jones, Giansiracusa
FF - Dickson, Cordy, Dahlhaus
Fol - Minson, Griffen, Liberatore

Int - Wallis, Cross, Higgins, Smith
Em - Tutt, Markovic, Campbell

Think I got the 22 right, not the positions.

Remi Moses
28-03-2013, 08:00 PM
No major shocks.
Wouldn't have minded Macrae or Hrovat in the team.
Tom Young in a key back spot doesn't inspire great confidence to be honest.

jeemak
28-03-2013, 08:10 PM
No major shocks.

The back six as a unit doesn't do much for me either, though I'd love to see Morris and Roughead really start working well together.

whythelongface
28-03-2013, 08:42 PM
No major shocks.

Unfortunately there aren't many options for CHB. Hopefully Young makes the most of his opportunities and plays a blinder.

LostDoggy
28-03-2013, 08:42 PM
The back six as a unit doesn't do much for me either.

I know where you are coming from Jeemak. Cant beleive they didnt include our best backmen Rick Kennedy, Terry Wheeler, Peter Foster, Steve Wallis, Steven Kretuk and Danny Southern in the team.

jeemak
28-03-2013, 09:04 PM
I know where you are coming from Jeemak. Cant beleive they didnt include our best backmen Rick Kennedy, Terry Wheeler, Peter Foster, Steve Wallis, Steven Kretuk and Danny Southern in the team.

Ouch.

I'll qualify that by saying there's scope for big improvement for them as a unit. I just think we're terribly exposed.

Greystache
28-03-2013, 09:49 PM
No major shocks.

Brisbane's key forwards aren't anything to frighten either though. Roughead will play on Brown, other than that there's Cornelius who's probably not a bad match up for Young, and McGrath who Morris will probably take. Against a team with more quality up forward I'd be concerned, but it's ok this week.

Remi Moses
28-03-2013, 09:57 PM

Was that really necessary ?:confused:

Remi Moses
28-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately there aren't many options for CHB. Hopefully Young makes the most of his opportunities and plays a blinder.

I've got nothing against the guy .
Gotta wonder why he never played at Collingwood?
The back 6 is a work in progress, a fact everyone will concur on.

Mofra
28-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Played 9 games.
Their tall & tallish backs are a solid unit.
I hope he proves me wrong about his trade in and plays well

LostDoggy
28-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Ouch.

I'll qualify that by saying there's scope for big improvement for them as a unit. I just think we're terribly exposed.

Lol, I agree with your sentiment Jeemak but we don't have the quality experience yet and I just think we need to give this group time.

There are many posters on here that simply don't really give some players a chance. A perfect example is Young who already has critics and he hasn't even played a senior AFL game for us yet.

Anyway, plenty to look forward to.

Remi Moses
28-03-2013, 10:34 PM
In saying that they picked up a VFL player in Jack Frost.
I hope he stars and I've got egg all over my face.

Before I Die
28-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Young is the classic "enigma wrapped up in a conundrum". Recruited as a NSW rookie at 15, won the Collingwood Reserves B&F as an 18 year old. Played a blinder in his debut senior game the next year, then dropped two weeks later and traded out for pick 71 twelve months later. And he still hasn't turned 21.
He could be anything, and he could be nothing :confused:

whythelongface
28-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Great to see all four mature age recruits get a gig. Looking forward to seeing how they perform and what they bring to the team.

bornadog
28-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Lol, I agree with your sentiment Jeemak but we don't have the quality experience yet and I just think we need to give this group time.

There are many posters on here that simply don't really give some players a chance. A perfect example is Young who already has critics and he hasn't even played a senior AFL game for us yet.

Anyway, plenty to look forward to.

He is also too short to Be a KPP. I would prefer to see him on a hbf, a Hargrave replacement.

Greystache
28-03-2013, 11:28 PM
In saying that they picked up a VFL player in Jack Frost.
I hope he stars and I've got egg all over my face.

I was really disappointed we didn't go after Frost this year.

Remi Moses
28-03-2013, 11:34 PM

So was I. Looked a good player at Williamstown

Greystache
28-03-2013, 11:39 PM
So was I. Looked a good player at Williamstown

We'd looked at him the year before but there were injury concerns. He had surgery and then we overlooked him for Collingwood to take him. I see at least as much potential in him as Austin.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Never saw much in Frost.

Haven't seen enough of Young so I will reserve judgement but I am pleased Markovic has been overlooked for CHB.

I know it's only early but the fact that Howard wasn't even in calculations is a sign of how far behind he is. Hasn't he played the last 2 or 3 at Williamstown? Also, is Addison injured?

Eastdog
29-03-2013, 02:09 AM
Without the ball we are fairly good but when we have the ball we don't use it well enough and that's what will let us down.

F'scary
29-03-2013, 08:56 AM
My thing is that we have to do something, try things, keep experimenting.

So, I like the boldness in selecting Young at CHB over the more proven but plodding Markovic.

But, I am disappointed that instead of Stringer, they have continued with the failed experiment of playing the reserves ruckman at FF.

All in all, I would say there is quite a number of positions where it must be line ball as to who gets picked. If we don't start off being competitive (let alone win a few!), expect to see lots of changes like last year.

Mantis
29-03-2013, 09:55 AM

He was definitely on our radar.. Not sure why we didn't select him.

The Doctor
29-03-2013, 10:27 AM
He was definitely on our radar.. Not sure why we didn't select him.

I do, he isn't a midfielder who cracks in.

If you look at collingwood's recruiting this year they picked a terrific variety of players, a ruckman, rover, inside and out midfielders, key defender etc, They also blended nicely the young recruits with some impressive mature age recruits such as Frost and Dwyer.

Maddog37
29-03-2013, 11:18 AM

If you look at collingwood's recruiting this year they picked a terrific variety of players, a ruckman, rover, inside and out midfielders, key defender etc, They also blended nicely the young recruits with some impressive mature age recruits such as Frost and Dwyer.

That's a new one....doesn't crack in. Haha:rolleyes:

Time for some new material methinks.

I am happy Marko is not in. Hopefully Cordy and Jones do the business so we can slot Williams in at CHB if and when he is fit. It is an inexperienced back line but they all have a chance to prove their worth as a unit which would be the main thing I would like to see down back. Some cohesion.

Bulldog4life
29-03-2013, 01:29 PM

He did play at Collingwood in fact I stand to be corrected but he kicked two goals and had over 20 possessions in his last game on the HBF.
He also won Collingwodd's VFL Best & Fairest award when only 17 years old so the boy has got some talent.

bornadog
29-03-2013, 03:50 PM
That's a new one....doesn't crack in. Haha:rolleyes:

Even Voss commented the other day when he said, "they do crack in"

Greystache
29-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Interesting. I was under the impression Stringer was a FF, Mcrae was a outside mid/HFF, Hunter was a HFF, Young was a third tall defender, Goodes was a rebounding half back, and Lower was a run with negating player. I don't see much in the way of "crack in" midfielders as you've described.

Hrovat I guess you could say isin a way, and Stevens is but was a moneyball selection.

Rocco Jones
29-03-2013, 06:33 PM
But, I am disappointed that instead of Stringer, they have continued with the failed experiment of playing the reserves ruckman at FF.

You keep going on about Stringer and Cordy competing for the same spot, I don't get it. Cordy isn't in the side as a pure key-forward, he is there as a 2nd ruckman. Do you want Stringer to relieve Will in the ruck?

I am not a fan of Ayce (anyone who sits near me knows that) but with Roughy playing back and Campbell being an out and out pure 1st ruck he gets the spot via default.

I am a massive fanboy of Stringer's but playing straight off after the injury would be short sighted. Hopefully he has another 300 or so options to play.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-03-2013, 07:44 PM

I agree with you on Frost who looked a walk up key defender at AFL level at Williamstown. We may well rue a lost opportunity now that he has been drafted by Collingwood.

FrediKanoute
29-03-2013, 07:53 PM
I think the round 1 side says more about the guys not selected than about who has been:

Grant?
Vez?
Markovic?

No selected round 1 means that they have a tonne of work to do to get selected later in the season!

jeemak
30-03-2013, 05:18 AM
You keep going on about Stringer and Cordy competing for the same spot, I don't get it. Cordy isn't in the side as a pure key-forward, he is there as a 2nd ruckman. Do you want Stringer to relieve Will in the ruck?

I am not a fan of Ayce (anyone who sits near me knows that) but with Roughy playing back and Campbell being an out and out pure 1st ruck he gets the spot via default.

I am a massive fanboy of Stringer's but playing straight off after the injury would be short sighted. Hopefully he has another 300 or so options to play.

Agreed. I actually think Ayce will make it, which might be a little different than how you see it, but to call him playing FF an experiment is extremely silly.

jeemak
30-03-2013, 05:22 AM
I think the round 1 side says more about the guys not selected than about who has been:

Grant?
Vez?
Markovic?

No selected round 1 means that they have a tonne of work to do to get selected later in the season!

I'm not sure I see it the same way you do.

Round one is a reward for those that have performed over preseason more than anything else, especially for a developing team.

A few good performances at Willy could easily turn into an early season call up for each of the abovementioned, as well as players like Howard, Tutt, Addison etc.

It's a long season, and if everyone's had a good preseason, some have to miss out early doors.

GVGjr
30-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Agreed. I actually think Ayce will make it, which might be a little different than how you see it, but to call him playing FF an experiment is extremely silly.

I hope you are right. I'm somewhat confident that he can be a good support ruckman but to me it comes down to if he can hold his marks and convert his chances up forward.

F'scary
30-03-2013, 09:50 AM

How?

Hotdog60
30-03-2013, 10:22 AM
I hope you are right. I'm somewhat confident that he can be a good support ruckman but to me it comes down to if he can hold his marks and convert his chances up forward.

Ayce needs to become our David Hale.

GVGjr
30-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Ayce needs to become our David Hale.

That would be a great fit for us.

neddie
30-03-2013, 10:44 AM
And pigs might fly!!

Before I Die
30-03-2013, 11:46 AM

I didn't get to see Ayce as junior, but clearly he wouldn't have been rated as highly if he didn't have a good pair of hands. I don't believe it can be underestimated how difficult it would be to adjust to an additional 20 plus kilos on your frame, especially if agility was a key strength. I have faith in him becoming a very good player and I suspect it may be as primarily a forward.

Ghost Dog
30-03-2013, 05:19 PM
And pigs might fly!!

People have been writing off Cordy for months. However, he continues to improve.