PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs living high life staying at home

Bulldog4life
12-12-2012, 01:30 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldogs-living-high-life-staying-at-home-20121211-2b7th.html

MITCH Wallis has spent the past 2½ weeks going to bed in Colorado, working in Footscray, and popping back to Essendon for a home-cooked meal in between. Jet lag hasn't been a problem - travel time is only a few minutes, and he's become so used to the dizzy ''heights'' he sleeps through most of his time at altitude.

This is the Western Bulldogs' spin on the pre-season's modern fad of training camps in faraway places, where the air is thin enough to boost a footballer's red blood-cell count and leave him able to go faster, further, for longer. St Kilda has been to the real Colorado, Collingwood to Arizona and North Melbourne Utah; the Dogs have stayed home and climbed mountains in their sleep.

''This gives us an opportunity to work on the principal of living high and training low,'' the Bulldogs' new fitness guru Graham Lowe says of Victoria University's ''Altitude Hotel'', where Wallis and 15 of his mostly first-and-second-year teammates are spending five nights a week for a pre-Christmas month. To dismiss it as a poor-man's pre-season is to ignore the march of science; by tweaking the altitude training model, the Dogs hope they will get a jump on their well-travelled competitors.

''The thinking has been 'live high, train high','' says Victoria University professor Michael McKenna. ''But if you're exercising at altitude, because of the thinner oxygen you can't work as hard, so athletes can actually lose fitness.''
Advertisement

Under this home-not-far-away-from-home model, Lowe says, players can maintain the intensity of their training during the day, then multiply their red blood cells at night while climbing no higher than the top of a bunk. ''With the younger players it gives us a chance to generate load … it's a way of progressing the group, getting some extra work into them without it being total time on their legs.''

The partnership between VU and its local AFL club has deepened since the 2010 opening of Iseal (the Institute of Sport, Exercise Science and Active Living), a flash, $68-million building that trains a mighty microscope on athletes and the games they play. The two parties are emboldened by what both are drawing from their union.

''We bring sports science expertise, they bring their elite athletes, and we get the mutual benefits,'' McKenna says, pointing to VU's Dr Rob Aughey and the Ph.D students who are monitoring the Altitude Hotel's temporary guests to gauge the program's effects.

Wallis is convinced it's doing him good, even if the routine has taken some adjusting to.

''It definitely took a week - [initially] you feel sluggish in the morning, you haven't had a great night's sleep because you're up a lot needing to go to the toilet, your body certainly takes a while to acclimatise,'' the 20-year-old says. ''But over the last three or four training sessions, when our running has entailed longer distances, I can definitely feel it towards the end of the sessions. You just don't blow up as much or as quickly.''

Staying at the Altitude Hotel isn't as disturbing as the Hotel California, but there must be times between the daily 7pm check-in and 8am departure that the young Dogs have felt like they can never leave. They share a common area (dubbed ''Base Camp''), where they can cook, eat and watch TV, before retiring to one of the four bedrooms - ''Arizona'', ''Nepal'', ''Colorado'' and ''Bolivia'' - each equipped with two bunks.

The entire facility is low-oxygen - 15 per cent instead of the usual 21 - and conditioned to assimilate altitude of 2500-3000 metres. The initial adjustment can leave guests feeling dry and breathless; hydration is important, and Wallis says the increased metabolic rate of inhabitants ups the appetite, too. ''I'm having a big meal at home and bringing a snack in here to eat at about nine o'clock.''

He is sharing with Tom Liberatore, Clay Smith and Koby Stevens, but an image of big kids on camp mucking up after dark is as distant as the Himalayas. ''We're all behaving - it's a pretty civilised environment in here, and we're that knackered from training there's no energy to do anything anyway.''

This has proved doubly problematic on Friday and Saturday nights, when they ''escape'' to their own beds. Wallis calls the weekend sleep-in their reward, but admits his girlfriend is yet to warm to life at altitude. ''She wants all my attention, which is a bit tough because you're so tired.''

Lowe, a New Zealander who recently joined the club after years spent with the All Blacks and Scottish rugby teams and a stint training America's Cup sailors, has been impressed with the work ethic of the Bulldogs. He concedes the cosy environs of the Altitude Hotel have presented some ''logistical realities'', but has already identified the Dogs as a group ''who want to spend time together''.

Each bed has its own TV and DVD player, and stepping around discarded Mr Perfect boxer shorts and smelly socks is yet to kill the house mood. ''We're still finding out who everyone is, so it's a really good thing for bonding, which is another positive,'' Wallis says.

Lowe says there is enough ''solid history'' now to support assimilated altitude's gains; he concedes it doesn't work for everyone, but sees it as the ''icing on the cake'' of the primary work of a footballer's pre-season. ''In the end they've still got to run, they've got to get to where they need to get.''

LostDoggy
12-12-2012, 09:34 AM
The partnership with VU offers huge advantages to the Club. We are fortunate to have it.

Mofra
12-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Excellent article - it shows just how much every 1 or 2% improvement in players is being tried.
The 20-21 year old group will be carrying this club soon enough.

Bulldog4life
12-12-2012, 10:27 AM
The partnership with VU offers huge advantages to the Club. We are fortunate to have it.

Agree EJ wonderful achievement from the Club to aligned ourselves with such a great sports university. In our own backyard too. Win win all round.

Raw Toast
12-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Agree EJ wonderful achievement from the Club to aligned ourselves with such a great sports university. In our own backyard too. Win win all round.

I'm biased of course, but can't imagine how we could hope to compete without something like this.

comrade
12-12-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm biased of course, but can't imagine how we could hope to compete without something like this.

Is there any long term agreement between the two parties? Is there a possibility another club could muscle in and replace us as an elite sporting partner?

bornadog
12-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Is there any long term agreement between the two parties? Is there a possibility another club could muscle in and replace us as an elite sporting partner?

You wouldn't think so with Vic Uni also one of the paying tenants at WO and the close proximity of the Footscray campus. Hopefully we can continue this partnership.

azabob
12-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Young Mitch may be in a bit of trouble with his better half though with this comment!

This has proved doubly problematic on Friday and Saturday nights, when they ''escape'' to their own beds. Wallis calls the weekend sleep-in their reward, but admits his girlfriend is yet to warm to life at altitude. ''She wants all my attention, which is a bit tough because you're so tired.''

westdog54
12-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Young Mitch may be in a bit of trouble with his better half though with this comment!

He's got a lot of catching up to do on Crossy when it comes to putting the missus second.

Couple of years ago when Crossy was recovering from an ankle injury he bought a fancy ice machine from the states to wear when he slept. It was so bulky and took up so much of the room that his Girlfriend was relegated to the couch.

I've heard a story somewhere that they once spent their anniversary getting up every 2 hours to ice Crossy's leg when he was injured in a game.

I loved reading this article. We are extraordinarily fortunate to have struck up this partnership with VU. A great example of working smarter instead of harder.

comrade
13-12-2012, 07:03 PM
He's got a lot of catching up to do on Crossy when it comes to putting the missus second.

Couple of years ago when Crossy was recovering from an ankle injury he bought a fancy ice machine from the states to wear when he slept. It was so bulky and took up so much of the room that his Girlfriend was relegated to the couch.

I've heard a story somewhere that they once spent their anniversary getting up every 2 hours to ice Crossy's leg when he was injured in a game.

I loved reading this article. We are extraordinarily fortunate to have struck up this partnership with VU. A great example of working smarter instead of harder.

Apparently when Crossy was still establishing himself in the team he got some feedback that his hands in close needed improving. He would hide footballs in cupboards at home and when they'd open he'd be forced to catch the ball and theoretically help his handling skills.

Legend :D

Raw Toast
14-12-2012, 09:20 PM

The partnership is well established but I'm not sure how long term the agreement is. I know some other clubs are envious.

Bulldog4life
14-12-2012, 09:23 PM
The partnership is well established but I'm not sure how long term the agreement is. I know some other clubs are envious.

Which ones Raw Toast?

LongWait
14-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Which ones Raw Toast?

Hawthorn! I know this for certain. They'd kill for the relationship with VU that we have.

Eastdog
14-12-2012, 10:14 PM
I go to Deakin Uni in Burwood. How would you compare there sports facilities to VU.

AndrewP6
14-12-2012, 10:21 PM
I go to Deakin Uni in Burwood. How would you compare there sports facilities to VU.

I went there. I'd hope they've improved their sports facilities.

immortalmike
15-12-2012, 04:02 PM
After reading the headline I was glad the article was about Wallis and not Libba...