PDA

View Full Version : Half our list is under 21 years old

bornadog
12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Battle-ready balance (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/152393/default.aspx)

Taking their pick of high-end teenage talent in the AFL Draft, the Western Bulldogs made a strategic decision to complete their list with mature, highly competitive and battle-hardened players, Nick Lower and Brett Goodes, to help drive the competitiveness of the younger pups.

At the conclusion of the 2012 AFL Draft, more than half of the Club’s 42 listed players (22 in total) were 21 or younger - as a comparison Gold Coast Suns had 25 in the same age bracket.

article continues here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/152393/default.aspx)

azabob
12-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks for posting that BAD. I saw the interview yesterday and it appears we have had a plan and executed it accordingly.

BAD are you more concerned with Goodes age than his ability?

Personally I am glad we have brought in some more older players, I am slightly surprised we drafted a 29 year old, but he can bring something we lack - clean disposal.

Hopefully he can play a few games for us.

westdog54
12-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Battle-ready balance (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/152393/default.aspx)

Taking their pick of high-end teenage talent in the AFL Draft, the Western Bulldogs made a strategic decision to complete their list with mature, highly competitive and battle-hardened players, Nick Lower and Brett Goodes, to help drive the competitiveness of the younger pups.

At the conclusion of the 2012 AFL Draft, more than half of the Club’s 42 listed players (22 in total) were 21 or younger - as a comparison Gold Coast Suns had 25 in the same age bracket.

article continues here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/152393/default.aspx)

BAD I know you've been a critic of the Goodes selection but IMO this article gives it a little bit of context.

With a list as young as what we have you need a strong core of leaders in place to guide them as they mature. In Goodes we have a player with a strong work eithic, good skills and a ready-made presence of respect and authority within the club, particularly amongst the younger players.

Now one could argue that he could continue to provide that in the player welfare job but I believe that Goodes also has something to offer us on the field. Being listed as a Rookie, essentially nothing changes other than that he trains full time with the squad and is eligible to play seniors if injuries to senior listed players occur.

Greystache
12-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Here's a good article from Emma Quayle about the subject too, it gives a bit of perspective about how the demands of the game have changed and therefore the make ups of lists has changed too.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clubs-give-boot-to-punts-on-teenagers-20121211-2b7tj.html

F'scary
12-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Observation: In between the extremes of 18 YO freshmen Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat, Hunter & Prudden and 28 YO state leaguer Goodes (I am assuming he will be promoted for Round 1) there are a number of other layers. Campbell & Johannisen. Then Stevens & Young. Then Lower.

It all makes sense.

Ozza
13-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Haven't read the article yet - so may be repeating something in there - but I noticed yesterday that we have on 9 players of 44 on our full list (with rookies) that has played 100 games or more.

Mofra
13-12-2012, 10:27 AM
This article sums up where we are at. For mine, following the Melbourne model of just taking kids at the cost of everything else is unbalanced and has led to their current situation.

G-Mo77
13-12-2012, 10:51 AM
This article sums up where we are at. For mine, following the Melbourne model of just taking kids at the cost of everything else is unbalanced and has led to their current situation.

And now they're the ones who have drafted vets to help out.

Remi Moses
13-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Think the problem Melbourne have had is the actual players they've recruited, and the lack of development and coaching . They've also lost some experience as well, and personally think what's come in is worse than what's left.

bornadog
13-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Think the problem Melbourne have had is the actual players they've recruited, and the lack of development and coaching . They've also lost some experience as well, and personally think what's come in is worse than what's left.

Don't speak too soon, this may be us.:p

Cyberdoggie
13-12-2012, 06:34 PM

I don't think they had lot of leaders to begin with, and they were quick to kick them out the door thinking the new wave were ready to take over. McDonald, Green, Bruce,

Remi Moses
13-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't think they had lot of leaders to begin with, and they were quick to kick them out the door thinking the new wave were ready to take over. McDonald, Green, Bruce,

True, but they recruited players like Bate, Pettard, Gysberts , Morton early.

G-Mo77
14-12-2012, 02:26 AM
So lets all agree Melbourne have stuffed up royally.

DragzLS1
14-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I like the lower and goodes selection.. Goodes will give atleast 2 years worth right on time when the young guys start to step up

Wallis and Libba + Smith, Dahl Stringer ect... Will all be hitting 50-100 games and cming into the prime age.. Then the older guys will be forced out of the team (who have been protecting the younger guys) ready for a 5-7 year reign at the top of the table...

Well, thats what im hoping will happen anyway :p