PDA

View Full Version : It seemed like a good idea at the time....

Dry Rot
13-12-2012, 09:29 PM
A bit of late year fun - the great stuff ups by our team or coach or any other team or coach.

I have a hazy memory of a bad match up by Wallace in a 98 Crows final that cost us dearly.

Thoughts?

GVGjr
13-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Aker getting another 12 months didn't exactly work for us especially given the off field distractions that followed and the fact that we gave him the license to do extra things in the media.

Great intention but Aker underlined that he was never going to go quietly

Rocco Jones
13-12-2012, 09:59 PM
A bit of late year fun - the great stuff ups by our team or coach or any other team or coach.

I have a hazy memory of a bad match up by Wallace in a 98 Crows final that cost us dearly.

Thoughts?

Smith on Robran?

Drafting Allen Jakovich with what was it? Pick 8/9?

Lachy Veale deal (as well as Koops and Street both for top 20 picks in that same trade period)

I guess they weren't even a good idea at the time.

Scraggers
13-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Peter Rhode

Dry Rot
13-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Smith on Robran?

Yes, thanks.

Smith on Robran?

Lachy Veale deal (as well as Koops and Street both for top 20 picks in that same trade period)

Agreed. :D

Doc26
13-12-2012, 10:14 PM

Thoughts?

Rohan Smith on Matthew Robran should never have seemed a good idea at the time.
DR, thread title might better be read 'What we're they thinking ?'

Angry Anderson singing Bound For Glory in a dodgy looking Batmobile out at VFL Park in the 91 GF pre game entertainment.

The Coon Dog
13-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Getting Meatloaf to sing at the Grand Final.

jeemak
13-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Rohan Smith on Matthew Robran should never have seemed a good idea at the time.
DR, thread title might better be read 'What we're they thinking ?'

Angry Anderson singing Bound For Glory in a dodgy looking Batmobile out at VFL Park in the 91 GF pre game entertainment.

Mate, that really happened. There's evidence of it an' all.

Doggies Doggies Doggies, woof woof woof!

jeemak
13-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Getting Meatloaf to sing at the Grand Final.

Honourable mention behind the angry one!

LostDoggy
14-12-2012, 12:09 AM
2008 Qualifying Final.... Yep i went there.

Hawthorn giving us an absolute bath, in the second quarter especially.

Just remember looking in Hawthorns forward 50 and all was there was Morris and Franklin.

Don't think it was the time and place to leave Buddy one out for the entire first half...

jeemak
14-12-2012, 12:15 AM
2008 Qualifying Final.... Yep i went there.

Hawthorn giving us an absolute bath, in the second quarter especially.

Just remember looking in Hawthorns forward 50 and all was there was Morris and Franklin.

Don't think it was the time and place to leave Buddy one out for the entire first half...

I remember sitting with my best mate who's a Hawks supporter saying the same thing, though this was after the 20 minute mark of the first quarter telling him we'd be lucky to get out of the game with an 8-10 goal loss.

That game, along with the 2009 qualifying final remain the biggest disappointments of our 2008-2010 run for me. We were completely underprepaired from a headspace perspective.

Greystache
14-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Aker, Eagleton, Hahn all for an extra year in 2010. None had played well in any of the 4 qualifying or prelim finals but we thought for some reason they were going to reverse some 800 of games of form and be the difference. Their salaries probably cost us Harbrow.

Peter Street saved from delisting by a first round draft choice from us.

Trapping an inconsistent tall swingman into being drafted by us rather than going to where he could play with his brother.

Scott Clayton's obsession with skinny athletic utilities in the draft, and no one else thinking to overall him.

Allen Jakovic....

Getting rid of Bruce Reid on 88 games.

Having my Mum put number 9 on my Bulldogs jumper after John Georgiades' first game.

Hotdog60
14-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Getting rid of the reserve competition and the under 19's so fans couldn't see players evolve in the curtain raisers.

LostDoggy
14-12-2012, 09:56 AM
What about Jose Romero getting that game in one of the Prelims (from memory 97 or 98) against Adelaide ?

His shoulder was stuffed, everyone knew it was stuffed, every supporter knew it'd pop out, he plays, it pops out early in the game.

Maddog37
14-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Sorry to go there but...............changing the name from Footscray.

Bulldog Revolution
14-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Smith on Robran?

Fine post Rocco

Jakos turkey was well and truly cooked

And the Summer of Rhode where he traded for Rawlings, Veale, Koops, Street and Morgan - I really wish I could forget

chef
14-12-2012, 11:19 AM

How was it not a good idea?

bornadog
14-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Having my Mum put number 9 on my Bulldogs jumper after John Georgiades' first game.

:D Yeah I was at Princes Park in that opening game - he kicked the same number from memory, fooled us all to think we had unearthed the bargain star of all time to come form WA.

bornadog
14-12-2012, 11:26 AM
* The AFL thinking they can rig the draw, stuff the competition and make money not fans.

* Live TV - First year over one million fans don't show up to live games.

Sedat
14-12-2012, 11:43 AM
The 'superflood' was genius but having exactly the same set-up against Hawthorn the week after in Round 22 certainly wasn't. That loss meant a trip up to the Gabba in week 1 of the finals instead of staying in Melbourne.

always right
14-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Rick Kennedy deciding to antagonise Plugger at the Western Oval.

Alan Joyce agreeing to be filmed addressing the team at halftime in "Year of the Dogs".

My brother standing up and shouting "we're going to a grand final" straight after we kicked our final goal for the match in "that" prelim final.

Brian Lake deciding to give Riewoldt a gentle bump straight after halftime in that "other" prelim final.

KT31
14-12-2012, 12:04 PM

I considered this a good idea and a move towards having a future.
Can't see the logic in still wanting to be called Footscray, why would you wany alienate a whole district ?

Eastdog
14-12-2012, 12:48 PM

I've always known them as Western Bulldogs or Bulldogs since I started supporting the club nearly 12 years ago but it would be good one day to go back to the originally suburban name Footscray.

Bulldog Revolution
14-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Rick Kennedy deciding to antagonise Plugger at the Western Oval.

Alan Joyce agreeing to be filmed addressing the team at halftime in "Year of the Dogs".

My brother standing up and shouting "we're going to a grand final" straight after we kicked our final goal for the match in "that" prelim final.

Brian Lake deciding to give Riewoldt a gentle bump straight after halftime in that "other" prelim final.

Another fine post always right,

I was genuinely scared for Kennedy

Joyce was clueless

I feel for your bro, we all do

And umpiring affected the Saints prelim too much - Hargraves holding the ball free kick when he actually kicked the ball, Riewoldts diving etc etc

bornadog
14-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Joyce was clueless

and a premiership coach

Maddog37
14-12-2012, 02:42 PM
I considered this a good idea and a move towards having a future.
Can't see the logic in still wanting to be called Footscray, why would you wany alienate a whole district ?

I am not trying to agitate or cause trouble. I just consider it a mistake. Loss of identity and tradition.

Ask yourself why Collingwood, carlton, Essendon, hawthorn etc did not change their names to represent a wider area.

I reiterate, it is just my opinion and I am not looking for arguments.:)

Dry Rot
14-12-2012, 03:28 PM
We are not alone in having good ideas at the time.

What about North Melbourne's idea of half moving to Sydney?

Or most of Freo's trading history?

Eastdog
14-12-2012, 04:49 PM
I am not trying to agitate or cause trouble. I just consider it a mistake. Loss of identity and tradition.

Ask yourself why Collingwood, carlton, Essendon, hawthorn etc did not change their names to represent a wider area.

I like your opinion Maddog37. Very true that other clubs didn't change there name to represent a region to gain support. There is no reason why people living out in the areas we are reaching out to will necessarily follow us. The only way to build membership is sustained on field success and that support should be far reaching and not just to one region. Anyway this thread is not about that and we are Western Bulldogs and that's that.

chef
14-12-2012, 04:55 PM

Ask yourself why Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, hawthorn etc did not change their names to represent a wider area.

They've been successful at different times and haven't needed to look out side the square to try and become more popular.

Maddog37
14-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I like your opinion Maddog37. Very true that other clubs didn't change there name to represent a region to gain support. There is no reason why people living out in the areas we are reaching out to will necessarily follow us. The only way to build membership is sustained on field success and that support should be far reaching and not just to one region. Anyway this thread is not about that and we are Western Bulldogs and that's that.

Thanks Eastdog.

I might add me chiming in with the name change comment in this thread as another thing that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Axe Man
14-12-2012, 04:59 PM
and a premiership coach

I could have coached Hawthorn to a flag in 1988 and I was only 10 at the time.:)

KT31
14-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks Eastdog.

I might add me chiming in with the name change comment in this thread as another thing that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Like:D

F'scary
14-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Aker, Eagleton, Hahn all for an extra year in 2010. None had played well in any of the 4 qualifying or prelim finals but we thought for some reason they were going to reverse some 800 of games of form and be the difference. Their salaries probably cost us Harbrow.

Peter Street saved from delisting by a first round draft choice from us.

Trapping an inconsistent tall swingman into being drafted by us rather than going to where he could play with his brother.

Scott Clayton's obsession with skinny athletic utilities in the draft, and no one else thinking to overall him.

Allen Jakovic....

Getting rid of Bruce Reid on 88 games.

Just about post of the year.

bornadog
15-12-2012, 12:39 AM
I could have coached Hawthorn to a flag in 1988 and I was only 10 at the time.:)

Yep, People say that but his name is in the history books.

Remi Moses
15-12-2012, 01:07 AM

But the 91 flag was a good effort.
Had a great win in Perth, and yes The Joyce style is from a bygone era.
That was a good effort in 91.

Remi Moses
15-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Smith on Robran?

Heard a Lachy Veale while station surfing! Up in Corio way.

Remi Moses
15-12-2012, 01:14 AM
I'll go with " Premiership ours" Says Coach:eek:
I guess we were never in it losing the first 11!!
The headline from the Footscray Mail before the 1980 season.

The Coon Dog
15-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Robert Groenewegen grabbing the microphone, or playing silly buggers when the Footscray Mail photographer took the team shot & his appendage appeared in print.

Going up to Sydney in 1985 with a mate after we'd beaten Essendon only to cop a 15 goal flogging.

Channel 9 giving Fev a microphone at the Brownlow.

Swapping Terry & Neale Daniher for Neville Fields.

Fitzroy saying that as well as Chris Hansen for $60, 000 we'll throw in Peter Foster for another $5,000.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-12-2012, 02:47 PM
The change from VFL to AFL. The tyranny of distance, the game becomes less tribal and parochial not to mention the politics, expansion teams, draft issues etc. Turn the clock back - give us suburban grounds even if the dunnies stank and St KIlda watered the ground. The AFL got rid of the peanut man and Western Oval as a holder of league games, it must have seemed a good idea at the time. I don't personally miss the Hyde St band but they could have morphed into something.
It's a great game I hope they don't stuff it.

Raw Toast
15-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Most things in this thread (and your post) made me wince, but this made me chuckle. That was going to be such a very good year...

The 'superflood' was genius but having exactly the same set-up against Hawthorn the week after in Round 22 certainly wasn't. That loss meant a trip up to the Gabba in week 1 of the finals instead of staying in Melbourne.

Such a stupid, annoying loss with no one to blame but ourselves.

immortalmike
15-12-2012, 05:22 PM
I disagree. It didn't even seem like a good idea at the time...

How was it not a good idea?
Well for one it would have saved us all the trouble of having the same bloody argument every time there isn't any footy on.

AndrewP6
15-12-2012, 05:57 PM
https://auctiondesq.imgstg.com/assets/auctiondesq/lots/images/main/Origin%20Energy%20Guernsey.JPG

Eastdog
15-12-2012, 05:59 PM
https://auctiondesq.imgstg.com/assets/auctiondesq/lots/images/main/Origin%20Energy%20Guernsey.JPG

What did you think Andrew of our 2012 pre season guernsey?

chef
15-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Yep, all red jerseys/guernseys make me sick:p. Blue is the colour, with a little red and white to.

bulldogtragic
15-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Not booking Ian Collins on CIA rendition flights.

AndrewP6
15-12-2012, 06:16 PM
What did you think Andrew of our 2012 pre season guernsey?

The red one with the hoops? Hated it.

Eastdog
15-12-2012, 06:21 PM
The red one with the hoops? Hated it.

That's the one. Yeah I didn't really like it that much either.

Ghost Dog
15-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Bad Idea to hire that foolish person who thought he could spirit large amounts of cash from us, and nobody would notice.

boydogs
16-12-2012, 04:33 AM

Better than playing interstate to increase our supporter base.

SonofScray
16-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks Eastdog.

:D

I had to show great restraint to not go there. The quality of the new membership campaign and marketing strategy has been terrific, if the timing was different we may have been able to resist the renaming fad of the mid 90s. Bugger.

Smith on Robran was never a good idea, I can recall fans early on saying "ffs get him out of there."

Any of Paul Dooley, Cam Wight and Nick Bruton would have seemed lie a good idea at the time.

Doggie Doggie Doggie WOOF WOOF WOOF

EasternWest
16-12-2012, 12:26 PM
And umpiring affected the Saints prelim too much - Hargraves holding the ball free kick when he actually kicked the ball, Riewoldts diving etc etc

I've seen you worked up on a few occasions - that was the one time I thought your head might actually pop. One of the more egregious footballing calls ever made, the ball rolled about 30 metres off his boot.

Speaking of Hargrave, another stinker that I can't understand ever seeming like a good idea was ever playing him on anyone taller than him.

comrade
16-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Christian Howard and his alleged leg cannon is hurtling towards 'good idea at the time' territory.

jeemak
16-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Christian Howard and his alleged leg cannon is hurtling towards 'good idea at the time' territory.

Not too sure many around here thought it a good idea in the first place.

His best games for the club have been just as good as any other players around his experience level though..

GVGjr
16-12-2012, 07:24 PM

The only problem with Howard is that there is too big of a gap between good and poor performances. Consistency is the key for him.

I suppose we can debate if it was a good idea to draft someone early who hadn't been through the elite pathway.

F'scary
16-12-2012, 08:35 PM
The only problem with Howard is that there is too big of a gap between good and poor performances. Consistency is the key for him.

I suppose we can debate if it was a good idea to draft someone early who hadn't been through the elite pathway.

Hans Christian Howard the Duck is going to have to play really well in 2013 to get a game. There is now, on the face of it, a lot more competition for places. A number of players have similar or greater experience than him for HB or W type roles.

Clay "Pigeon" Smith
"Lightening" Johannisen
"Piercings" Pearce
Nick "Cruel to be Kind" Lower
"Bluey" Young
Kobe "The Earthquake" Stevens

Then there is

A fit Coon Dog
A fit Professor Higgins.

Also, spending most of his time on the ball is

Dolly Dreadlocks

Howard the Duck is back in a pack with

"King" Tutt and
The Veszident.

And the last two alone will provide him with plenty of competition for one of the last spots in any given round.

F'scary
16-12-2012, 08:50 PM

"Alleged leg cannon"

Best phrase ever. ROFL ROFL ROFL

Murphy'sLore
17-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Please, please, F'scary, if Johanissen's nickname is going to stick, make it "Lightning" not "Lightening" :)

F'scary
17-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Please, please, F'scary, if Johanissen's nickname is going to stick, make it "Lightning" not "Lightening" :)

Thank you. :cool: