PDA

View Full Version : Setback after setback doesn't deter

GVGjr
17-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Setback after setback doesn't deter

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2012/12/16/1226537/931413-dale-morris.jpg

DALE Morris got a blunt reminder about his football mortality when moving house earlier this month. While unpacking a few boxes in his new study, the Western Bulldogs defender stumbled on a dog-eared cardboard folder.
They make tasty Pies up north
Young gun bonds as Dees feel heat

"It had all of these X-rays of my leg, which I'd never really looked at before," he said. "I had a look at them and called my wife (Gemma) in for a look, thinking, 'Holy moly, have a look at this, how bad it was'."

The X-rays showed a clean break through the right lower leg, with both the tibia and fibula off-set. The injury occurred when Morris's leg was caught awkwardly beneath him during a marking contest in the final quarter against Essendon in Round 21, 2011.

"That night was the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life," Morris recalled.

"I had three or four of those pethidine pens and they felt like they did nothing. Then I got to the hospital and had more pain-killers and it finally settled down, but just a cough or a sneeze was enough to bring the pain flooding back. It was intense."

Morris remembered lying in a hospital room that night wondering if he would play football again.

"I'd had the X-rays and I was lying there with a million things going through my head and in walked Boydy (captain Matthew Boyd). He'd come straight from the game. I don't even think he'd had a shower, and he just sat with me.

"We had a little bit of a chat, but he didn't even have to say anything."

Another teammate, the injury-plagued Tom Williams, brought over a laptop loaded with dozens of movies - "he knew what was ahead of me" - and Daniel Cross's wife Sam dropped off some containers of home-made pasta sauce at the Morris home.

Although Morris faced months on the sidelines, that weekend confirmed what he had always known: that Whitten Oval was and would remain his second home.

"If anything it really felt like I was even more a part of a team," he said. "That's the beauty of the Bulldogs."

Read More.. (http://dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/setback-after-setback-doesnt-deter-popular-bulldog-dale-morris-as-he-continues-road-back-from-serious-injury/story-e6frexx0-1226537933565)

Maddog37
17-12-2012, 11:16 AM
I absolutely love this bloke. He is just a superstar in my eyes. Great to read about the other guys helping out too. Fantastic team spirit.

LostDoggy
17-12-2012, 01:44 PM
If the Team Of The Century was picked today he should be in it IMO

chef
17-12-2012, 01:50 PM
It's going to be a very sad day when Dale decides to hang up the boots.

OLD SCRAGGer
17-12-2012, 02:14 PM
My Favourite Player :)

strebla
17-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Between him Murf and young Wallis ownership of this club is the best it's been since the late 90's

The Bulldogs Bite
17-12-2012, 05:25 PM
He's the best one on one defender I've ever seen play for the club and that's without mentioning his ridiculous versatility.

Hopefully he makes it back to play some good footy. If anyone can do it, Morris can.

LostDoggy
17-12-2012, 05:51 PM
“I don't even think he'd had a shower.”

Great hearing stuff like that.

EasternWest
17-12-2012, 06:51 PM
I absolutely love this bloke. He is just a superstar in my eyes. Great to read about the other guys helping out too. Fantastic team spirit.

I was going to make a comment, but you seem to have everything covered. Carry on.

ratsmac
17-12-2012, 11:59 PM
What a Champion bloke! Love ya Dale.

Ghost Dog
18-12-2012, 12:22 PM
We certainly get our share of media in the HUN. Nice big spread on Dale that looked great.

always right
18-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Really hope he's up and going come round one. If seeing this bloke run out on the ground doesn't inspire his teammates...what will? Still seriously under-rated by many....but not amongst the bulldogs clan. Has to be top three in our best ever defenders.