PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Dogs = 2004 Saints?

Dry Rot
20-01-2007, 11:04 PM
IIRC the youngs Saints had a good end to the '03 season, the came out firing in 2004 with much bigger bodies. Made a PF which they narrowly lost.

Training reports suggest this could be the 2007 Dogs, with a number of players much bigger. Add in Aker, Darcy, Murphy, Hahn and possibly McDougall and can we reasonably expect a cracker season like the 2004 Saints?

The Bulldogs Bite
20-01-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't think it's something we should expect, but it's certainly possible when you consider our performance last year and how much improvement there still is elft in the playing group, PLUS superstars like Aker, Murphy & Darcy coming back into the scene.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us reach a Preliminary Final. If it all bodes well there's no reason we can't, as we've got a supreme list of great young talent and a couple of older champions in Johnson & West.

A midfield firing of Cooney, Aker, West, Cross, Giansiracusa, Ray, Eagleton, Johnson, Boyd, Griffen, McMahon, Higgins etc. is mouthwatering and first rate. (Obviously they are all apart of the rotations)

Time can only tell; but I believe we have the ability to make it to a PF and do as well as The Saints did in 2004.

Not to mention, our Coach is significantly better than GT.

LostDoggy
21-01-2007, 12:01 AM
I have seen us primed for big seasons in the past and have been let down but the momentum ius going our way and I'm more confident than I have ever been in the past.

The comparison to the Saints is a sobering piece of analysis though and something that people should consider before heading into the real stuff

alwaysadog
21-01-2007, 09:32 AM
I think we can do well and there is no sign of complacency at training, the single most important cause of our failure to live up to expectations in the past.

That said IMHO we still have three major areas of concern.

Firstly we have no evidence to indicate we have overcome the structural weakess in the side in terms of height. Yes there are grounds for optimism but that is not evidence let alone proof.

Secondly we have not seen if we can be more efective at clearances and tougher in packs. We know that the coaching staff have plans to address this, but will they be successful? I expect us to improve but I suspect it will take more than one season to overcome this.

Thirdly is the necessary mental toughness there. Late in the season we lost games because we couldn't get our minds to the right place. Again we have plans but will they work effectively enough in the short term?

A good season and a 3-5 finish would satisfy me. A position in a prelim final is a distinct possibility, anything further a considerable bonus.

southerncross
21-01-2007, 02:20 PM
A good season and a 3-5 finish would satisfy me. A position in a prelim final is a distinct possibility, anything further a considerable bonus.

This is a realistic goal as far as I am concerned. We need to set the bar high but have a sense of reality in that it is unlikely that teams like West Coast and Sydney will slip down too far and the fact that Freo is really building some momentum. It's going to be a tough ask to say that we can win the flag but we are in the mix.

I only hope we don't suffer they same feat as the Saints

alwaysadog
21-01-2007, 09:39 PM
This is a realistic goal as far as I am concerned. We need to set the bar high but have a sense of reality in that it is unlikely that teams like West Coast and Sydney will slip down too far and the fact that Freo is really building some momentum. It's going to be a tough ask to say that we can win the flag but we are in the mix.

I only hope we don't suffer they same feat as the Saints

There seem to be several factors that mitigate against us getting too far in front of ourselves.

The first is the nature of the coach; he has shown an ability to create confidence in players, but it is well based. He doesn't have favourites, it's purely a matter of performance; perhaps he does, but they coincide. Equally he has no problems in telling a player that he needs to lift his efforts or intensity. No one is above the lore.

The second is complacency and confidence. No sign of complacency; if they are telling the truth everyone has made physical gains, and as far as confidence is concerned they seem to know what they have to do and are champimg at the bit to get started and prove they are up to it.

Group cohesion also seems to be sky high. They are energetic and enthusiastic, striving to meet the challenges set. There is evidence of science here, all the drills have times to celebrate and share, the hard slog has been made enjoyable.

All this says to me that we have the mental edge to not only meet the challenges but are sufficiently on top of the game to be determined but relaxed.

In over 50 years I have not seen such across the board positive indicators. I am mindful of the need to take care and not launch into Grant Thomas speak. But this is where it is appropriate in trying to predict; where Grant T. got it wrong was in usuing the same speak to analyse.

In plain speak we seem to have left no stone unturned in analysing the gap between 2006 and where we want to go and have within the confines of available resources, set in train a plan for next season and beyond.

This includes recruiting and a carefully worked out preseason to lift us to the next level.
As the ultimate cynic I look for areas we have overlooked or any sense that we think we have down well enough and I can't find them.

Now we have to let the cards fall and see if we have the game to meet all eventualities.

Dry Rot
23-01-2007, 06:21 PM
On a simpler level, I just thought we might come out firing with much bigger bodies like Saints did after a good end to the previous season.

Whether we could then maintain it or suffer the saints fate (who IIRC were a couple of kicks away from the GF) is another matter.

bulldogtragic
23-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Sounds a bit like reguritating what my mum used to say, but i'm just hoping we play to the best of our abilities. Thats all i want, quantifying it this early has pros and cons, but if we play to the best of our abilities, with added strength and more speed and skill. We are almost unstoppable.

BulldogBelle
23-01-2007, 06:55 PM
but if we play to the best of our abilities, with added strength and more speed and skill. We are almost unstoppable.

Yeah, totally agree with you 42C3, added strength, added speed and refined skill levels will definitely add more to our team, from all reports our players are definitely stronger I think a lot of emphasis was put on doing more weight work this pre-season. Will be interesting to watch our boys play this year. Can't wait!

Dry Rot
23-01-2007, 10:02 PM
OK, so all training reports claim that a number of players are bigger/stronger/beefed up.

What differences in play/style etc can we expect from the '07 Dogs versus the '06 Dogs?

Twodogs
23-01-2007, 10:13 PM
OK, so all training reports claim that a number of players are bigger/stronger/beefed up.

What differences in play/style etc can we expect from the '07 Dogs versus the '06 Dogs?

We havent done nearly as much skill work but the general level iof skills in match practice is still breathtaking.

Tackling is something that the players have been working on, using forward momentum, -tucking one arm and tucking two arms in the tackle is done at every session. They also do a roptation where three balls are kicked on the way out and then three more on the way back and the forward/defenders are nominated-they harass and hassle oneanother.

I think we'll be more physical and bigger.

Dry Rot
24-01-2007, 12:46 PM
We havent done nearly as much skill work but the general level iof skills in match practice is still breathtaking.

Tackling is something that the players have been working on, using forward momentum,

How would you compare and contrast the '06 and '07 pre-season training sessions you've seen?