PDA

View Full Version : Graham's punt on 'Bulldogs way'

Bulldog4life
19-12-2012, 02:27 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/grahams-punt-on-bulldogs-way-20121218-2bl3a.html

IT HAS been dubbed the ''Bulldogs Way'', a plan coach Brendan McCartney and his backroom staff hope will eventually guide the club to its second premiership.

The philosophy encompasses recruiting and development, with McCartney already leaving his imprint in terms of the manner in which he wants his men to play - ferociously and with intent to win the hard ball.

Fresh from eight years as a punter in the NFL, former Geelong captain Ben Graham has reunited with McCartney, a former Cats assistant, in a strategic operations role. He has only been at the Whitten Oval for three weeks but is impressed with what the club has implemented and the work of high-performance manager Graham Lowe.

''The way they have changed their recruiting process and development matrix, it's now deemed the 'Bulldogs Way','' Graham said.
Advertisement

''[It's] the way we recruit and develop talent and that ties in with our own VFL team in 2014. It will help accelerate that process.''

Part of Graham's wide-ranging brief is to develop the Bulldogs' stand-alone VFL team, which is likely to be called Footscray. This should help appease a small band of supporters still upset with the AFL name change in 1996.

He will work closely on off-field issues with general manager of football, James Fantasia, while also dealing with on-field issues.

Graham has heard all the talk about the Bulldogs being a rebuilding team, but has cautioned that can be detrimental as winning must remain paramount.

That's an easier philosophy to embrace in the NFL because it is all about winning.

''The NFL is win at all costs,'' he said. ''There is no development. The players that come out of college are ready-made players. Everything put around them is for them to succeed on the field.

''Here, it is a fine balance between the development side and winning.''

While some coaches talk about ''premiership windows'', sometimes to justify poor performances, Graham, the first Australian to feature in a Super Bowl, does not adhere to such a mantra.

''You won't be hearing any predictions coming out of me,'' he said. ''I am not a fan of premiership windows or cycles or those types of things.

''There are 18 teams in the competition. You want the chance to win next year. Just because you are in a perceived development side it doesn't mean you can't win it.''

''Of course, you have to keep an eye on the future and develop players and set up winning football programs that are sustainable, but you still need to keep an eye on the prize right now.''

The Bulldogs are not expected to challenge for the flag in 2013 but there are similarities between this list and Graham's rebuilding Geelong teams of 2001-03.

Those teams would morph into one of the best of all time. No doubt Graham hopes to have a hand in a similar rise for the Bulldogs.

The Pie Man
19-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Bulldogs' stand-alone VFL team, which is likely to be called Footscray[/B]. This should help appease a small band of supporters still upset with the AFL name change in 1996.

This for me is a good idea - thoughts?

bulldogtragic
19-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Watching Footscray at the Whitten Oval. Sounds bloody brilliant to me!!!

Ghost Dog
19-12-2012, 04:40 PM
You can't have this many good blokes at a club and good players to not have some sort of effect. Optimistic!

WBFC4FFC
19-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Happy with "Footscray" for the VFL. Makes sense, as it is a domestic comp.

Go_Dogs
19-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Love the thrust of the article, that we should be a side that contends each year. A lot to be learned from Ben and he'll be a great person to throw in his 2 cents on a range of issues.

"The Bulldogs Way" has a nice ring to it.

Eastdog
19-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Very good article. Ben Graham coming to the club adds real experience and will learn a lot from him. It will be also very good having our own stand alone side as more clubs are going down this path.

Bulldog4life
20-12-2012, 03:04 PM
So many good positive things happening at the Club at the moment. I have a very positive outlook of the future for our great Club.

bornadog
20-12-2012, 03:15 PM
So many good positive things happening at the Club at the moment. I have a very positive outlook of the future for our great Club.

Wait till round one:D

Bulldog4life
20-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Wait till round one:D

Can't wait for it. But then I'm lucky I'm an optimist.:)

Twodogs
21-12-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm really pleased that the VFL side will be called Footscray. It's a good compromise for those of us who like the Footscray name.

boydogs
21-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm really pleased that the VFL side will be called Footscray. It's a good compromise for those of us who like the Footscray name.

You couldn't call it WB with Werribee and Williamstown in the comp. Which is what I find so strange about the supporters who want the AFL side's name changed back to Footscray, are they trying to ex-communicate supporters from other suburbs?

Maddog37
22-12-2012, 11:32 AM
You couldn't call it WB with Werribee and Williamstown in the comp. Which is what I find so strange about the supporters who want the AFL side's name changed back to Footscray, are they trying to ex-communicate supporters from other suburbs?

Are you saying only people that live in Collingwood barrack for Collingwood and their neighboring suburbs feel ex-communicated?

Dazza
22-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Western bulldogs is much easier to sell as the team of the west than Footscray is.

Given that's the marketing path we've taken in the past few years (should have happened earlier) it would be crazy to go back to Footscray now.

Would pretty much undo a lot of the marketing to new supporters we've recently done.

Hotdog60
22-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Are you saying only people that live in Collingwood barrack for Collingwood and their neighboring suburbs feel ex-communicated?

http://bogan.tv/wp-content/uploads/bogan.jpg

These people only see B&W and therefor only take one choice, we don't have these types with money to spend on our club so we need to seek greater appeal. If we had a few decades of sustain success then we could go back to our roots but for the time being I don't think so.