PDA

View Full Version : Richmond - The big improvers?

GVGjr
19-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Lets lose any personal vendettas with the Tigers but I'd like to hear if people think they are likely to step up a few positions on the ladder in 2013?

They have a very good midfield with the likes of Deledio, Cotchin, Martin, Foley, Tuck and Conca. A nice back line with Rance, Chaplin, Griffiths, Ellis, Morris and Newman and they have a dangerous forward line with Riewoldt, Vickery, King, Nahas and Knights.

Can anyone else see them making a big improvement next season?

Eastdog
19-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Some are saying that Hardwick's job is in trouble if Richmond don't make the 8 in 2013.

dog town
19-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Tried to address the right areas but I think they lack real depth much like Carlton. I think they will improve and push hard for the 8 but thats about it. Too many of them go missing when the heat really gets turned up. It is a massive step up for them.

Greystache
19-12-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm on the fence about Richmond. They have some developing talent but they haven't been able to play together consistently both from week to week and within games themselves. I think the culture within the club celebrates mediocrity and I think that will play a role in limiting how much they progress.

I have concerns about the off field habits and dedication of some of the younger players they are relying on to take them forward. Martin and Conca for example have a lot of maturing to do before they can be considered certainties to take the Tigers forward.

I think they'll finish between 7-11 depending on luck with injuries.

Maddog37
19-12-2012, 09:45 PM
I can't see them being top four, which in essence means they have bugger all chance of winning anything.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Agree that their depth isn't great and this will be their downfall.

They need to make the 8 though. They've made solid progress since Hardwick came on board, but if they fail again next season to play finals, it would be a big step backwards.

bornadog
19-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Their biggest issue is the backline. Rance isnot a KPP, he is just not tall enough and they don't really have a centre half back. If they are going to make finals then I think 2013 is their best chance, but they won't be top four.

Remi Moses
20-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Their biggest issue is the backline. Rance isnot a KPP, he is just not tall enough and they don't really have a centre half back. If they are going to make finals then I think 2013 is their best chance, but they won't be top four.

That's what I reckon as well. They're to Riewoldt centric as well.
Chance for the eight yes, but not top 4 for mine.

boydogs
20-12-2012, 02:55 AM
Don't get sucked in to the hype, every year they are top 4 material then it falls in a screaming heap after round 1.

In the running for the 8, but nothing more.

chef
20-12-2012, 07:30 AM
They've topped up with a lot of average players too.

Bottom half of the top 8 for me as long as they have a good run with injuries.

AndrewP6
20-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Might squeeze into top eight, then will crash and burn. They're not as good as the hype.

LostDoggy
20-12-2012, 09:08 AM
I predict they will finish ninth

Ghost Dog
20-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I think they will do well next season. Their midfield will get them pretty far, but doubt they have the icing to finish the job in finals.

Murphy'sLore
20-12-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm on the fence about Richmond. They have some developing talent but they haven't been able to play together consistently both from week to week and within games themselves. I think the culture within the club celebrates mediocrity and I think that will play a role in limiting how much they progress.

I have concerns about the off field habits and dedication of some of the younger players they are relying on to take them forward. Martin and Conca for example have a lot of maturing to do before they can be considered certainties to take the Tigers forward.

I think they'll finish between 7-11 depending on luck with injuries.

Stache, what exactly do you mean by that? How does it manifest?

Ghost Dog
20-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Not sure how they celebrate mediocrity. They are still paying for their time with Terry Wallace but less so over time. Once they get over that hangover, will be a force to be reckoned with.

Ozza
20-12-2012, 11:47 AM
I really enjoy watching Richmond play - great team to watch, and plenty of exciting players. But I think they are still at least another year off being a really good side.

They would need to defend better - across the whole ground, to be a top 4 or top 6 team. They are always heavily scored against. Even when they win - it tends to be 130-110.

A great free flowing game style to watch - but they aren't tough enough or stingy enough yet.

G-Mo77
20-12-2012, 12:16 PM
I think they'll squeeze into the 8 next season.

I think they've done really well in the off season. I really like the addition of Chaplin in the backline, it was an area that needed work and they got a really good defender for virtually nothing. Knights is also a decent addition to the squad and cost them nothing. They added some experienced recycled players on the rookie list who extend their depth a little and kept their 3 top picks in this years draft in the process. I can't fault them in the off-season at all.

Anywhere from 6th - 9th is my prediction.

Mofra
20-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Strange team - their midfield looks fantastic on paper, but is less effective than they shoudl be on match day. I still think their backline looks a little suspect

G-Mo77
20-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Strange team - their midfield looks fantastic on paper, but is less effective than they shoudl be on match day. I still think their backline looks a little suspect

They're still thin there even with Chaplin. One of the key players go down and they'll find themselves in a spot of bother.

DragzLS1
20-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Midfield is great its the backline and forward line that are just not good enough. Just do not have enough depth and will crash and burn come finals.. Same as Carlton and Essendon imo.

Happy Days
20-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Of all the recycled players (i.e: the ones that you would expect to contribute immediately) that they have picked up, only Chaplin is worthwhile. Any improvement that they are to see is directly linked to how much improvement they can get out of their young midfield, which has to have some serious maturity issues to it.

LostDoggy
20-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm changing to Richmond because i want to watch finals football

Eastdog
20-12-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm changing to Richmond because i want to watch finals football

Don't worry M.R.M will be playing finals again soon. Richmond in the past 30 years haven't played in that many final series.

EasternWest
20-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Don't worry M.R.M will be playing finals again soon. Richmond in the past 30 years haven't played in that many final series.

I think that was a play on words of the infamous Judas quote.

But I'd like to think you're right ED. Finals again sooner rather than later.

Greystache
20-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Stache, what exactly do you mean by that? How does it manifest?

When you've had very little success such as they have you can develop a culture of celebrating small short term wins rather than considering where that victory sits in the greater scheme of things. In the Richmond example, if they were to beat Carlton in round 1 rather than using it as an affirmation they're on the right track and building on it, they're inclined to get so caught up in the celebration that they'll go out and lose the next 2 games to cellar dwellers and kill the moment they'd built.

bulldogtragic
20-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Ninth would fill me with joy.

Bulldog Revolution
20-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Their backline is pretty dependent on Chaplin - Im unsure Griffiths ever emerge as a real player

They have been developing nicely but need a few more to step up. Cotchin is an exquisite footballing talent, dynamic, line breaking, penetrating by foot. Martin when going is an explosive game breaker but lacks consistency.

Its a big year for them no doubt about it

Is Williams a good get for them as an assistant?

Topdog
20-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Certainty to make the 8, piss easy draw. Wont do anything in the finals.

Carlton of 2010

Remi Moses
21-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Gee the fans are talking it up.
But then again they get chatty often this time of year.

always right
21-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Ninth would fill me with joy.

I'm with you but I have to concede they've developed a nice list with a midfield that threatens to become the best in the AFL. Their depth is improving each year and I think Chaplin is a huge get for them. I expect them to finish in the bottom four of the eight.

I hope I'm wrong. I envisage a sea of duffle coats (with Woosha Welsh on the back) being brought out of mothballs as the tiger faithful find their voice again.

boydogs
21-12-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm with you but I have to concede they've developed a nice list with a midfield that threatens to become the best in the AFL.

Really? Cotchin is a top 10 player, Deledio is up there if you're counting him, but Foley, Tuck, Conca & Martin don't strike me as elite.

chef
21-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Really? Cotchin is a top 10 player, Deledio is up there if you're counting him, but Foley, Tuck, Conca & Martin don't strike me as elite.

I would have Martin as elite.

Ghost Dog
21-12-2012, 08:44 PM
What do you make of the coach? Hardwick seems like a nice enough guy but doesn't strike me as being a master tactician. I've been to a few Richmond smashings in my time.

LostDoggy
22-12-2012, 12:16 AM

Martin is a deadset star, just a shame he's also a knob, it seems.

boydogs
22-12-2012, 03:21 AM
I would have Martin as elite.

Still a couple of years away IMO, and his commitment to his footy to get there is in doubt.

Remi Moses
22-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Had a poor year last year. Not elite for mine, hanging out with Connors isn't going to help.

azabob
22-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Had a poor year last year. Not elite for mine, hanging out with Connors isn't going to help.

Hasn't there been speculation that Martin is just as bad an influence on Connors?

Topdog
23-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Martin had a good year interrupted by injury and stupidity.

He isn't elite at the moment but he isn't far off either. He is already a game changer.

LostDoggy
23-12-2012, 01:33 PM
I think they will be the North of 2012. Easy draw, good run at some point, scrape into the 8 then get absolutely flogged in the finals. Watching North do that was pleasure.

DragzLS1
24-12-2012, 04:34 PM
I think they will be the North of 2012. Easy draw, good run at some point, scrape into the 8 then get absolutely flogged in the finals. Watching North do that was pleasure.

I could not have said it better myself. Loved watching them talk up how good they were going only to get put back in there place by West Coast. God that was good!

I'm still not set on tigers I think Carlton will be the big improvers

Remi Moses
24-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Gee their supporters need to find that elusive lid that comes off at this time of the year.
I think they're a chance for the eight but to say they 're going past the likes of Freo, Geelong and even Norf is a bit of a stretch.I think Carlton and even The Bombres will be thereabouts for the eight .

LostDoggy
27-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I could not have said it better myself. Loved watching them talk up how good they were going only to get put back in there place by West Coast. God that was good!

I'm still not set on tigers I think Carlton will be the big improvers

I just don't see where they can improve? They didn't bring in anymore talent, Judd is a year older and slower and Eddie Betts is their forward line for another year. Possibly they get more out of Gibbs but I don't see much else on the horizon. At least Norf have young improvers taking them up the list and the tigers seem to have added some of what they need.

Tigers, North, Lions and Freo improvers for mine
Saints, Blues to continue to stagnate

lemmon
27-12-2012, 04:25 PM
All about injures for mine, if they keep their important players fit, 6th or 7th isn't out of the question. Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Riewoldt, Maric etc is a lot of top end talent

DragzLS1
28-12-2012, 02:43 AM
I just don't see where they can improve? They didn't bring in anymore talent, Judd is a year older and slower and Eddie Betts is their forward line for another year. Possibly they get more out of Gibbs but I don't see much else on the horizon. At least Norf have young improvers taking them up the list and the tigers seem to have added some of what they need.

Tigers, North, Lions and Freo improvers for mine
Saints, Blues to continue to stagnate

Carlton had an excessive amount of injuries but think will rise bar injuries again. Even though I hate to say it! Lol

Tigers are a maybe and may just scrape in.

Not sold on lions or north as of yet but north will be a very unpredictable side next year

KT31
28-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Tigers ninth for me.:D

LostDoggy
02-02-2013, 01:39 AM
The one thing I love about Richmond, is how they get a standing ovation at half time when they are dominating....then it all falls apart and they lose hehe. If Jack goes down they are bottom 4 if he stays up we will still finish above them and that's all that matters. Hardwick won't coach the Season out.

Bulldog Joe
02-02-2013, 08:47 AM
A few comments about them having an easy draw.

Carlton in round 1 is a game they MUST win
St Kilda round 2 after the Saints are primed with a clash against Gold Coast
Bulldogs round 3 is there best chance and if we get over them and they also lose the first 2 they will be ready to self destruct.
Follow up games
Collingwood - Round 4
Fremantle - (Perth) Round 5 on successive 6 day breaks
Geelong - Round 6

If they win 4 of 6 they will certainly be on their way, but anything less than 2 could have them in big trouble. 0 and 6 is not impossible.

I see them at 3 and 7 after 10 rounds and its pretty hard to make finals from there. It will take at least 12 wins to make finals.

Remi Moses
02-02-2013, 11:53 AM

St Kilda round 2 after the Saints are primed with a clash against Gold Coast
Bulldogs round 3 is there best chance and if we get over them and they also lose the first 2 they will be ready to self destruct.
Follow up games
Collingwood - Round 4
Fremantle - (Perth) Round 5 on successive 6 day breaks
Geelong - Round 6

If they win 4 of 6 they will certainly be on their way, but anything less than 2 could have them in big trouble. 0 and 6 is not impossible.

I see them at 3 and 7 after 10 rounds and its pretty hard to make finals from there.
It will take at least 12 wins to make finals.

Hardwick will by unemployed if they don't improve

Ghost Dog
02-02-2013, 04:25 PM

A hard game to win. On paper, Carlton are a bit ahead in terms of backline, ruck, but midfield is pretty even (maybe Carlton, just ) and the Tiger's forward line seems more potent.
Mick will throw everything he has at the Tigers. Even if they lose, I think Tigers fans will live with it ( used to it ) and the team won't drop its head like years gone by.

GVGjr
02-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Hardwick will by unemployed if they don't improve

I think he has done a good job with them but they have taken to topping up the list like Voss did with the Lions which didn't work. I do think they will improve due to their good recruitment in recent years.