PDA

View Full Version : Hrovat Appreciation Society

Pages : [1] 2

bulldogtragic
24-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Just wanted to get in early before his stocks rise and everybody starts claiming him. I'm predicting a fair bit of love for this pup so I wanted to officially start his bandwagon. This is the thread you can come to throughout the year to pay praise to this young gun in the making.

Watch this space!

azabob
24-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Just wanted to get in early before his stocks rise and everybody starts claiming him. I'm predicting a fair bit of love for this pup so I wanted to officially start his bandwagon. This is the thread you can come to throughout the year to pay praise to this young gun in the making.

Watch this space!

Just out of interest how many fan clubs, appreciation societies is a poster allowed to start? ;)

bulldogtragic
24-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Just out of interest how many fan clubs, appreciation societies is a poster allowed to start? ;)
This is 3 main ones if you count my Hansen is poo and my bald eagle thread which was much loved by all, especially Mantis :)

LostDoggy
24-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Watch this space!

Now that you've ruined Hrovat would you mind posting a prediction that Macrae, Stringer, Hunter and Prudden all turn out to be spuds?

Just to give the recruiters some chance of a peaceful night's sleep?:D

bornadog
24-12-2012, 03:30 PM

Watch this space!

And a good acronym, H. A. S.

You can add plenty like - has what it takes

Dry Rot
24-12-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm in. I think he'll be a beauty.

Given his nickname, older posters might appreciate this

http://www.bigredhair.com/movies/ratpatrol.jpg

GVGjr
24-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Wouldn't the supporters of this fine group be best known as the Rat Pack?

bulldogtragic
24-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Wouldn't the supporters of this fine group be best known as the Rat Pack?
Like your thinking GVGjr.

Remi Moses
25-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Got a gut feel fans will be glad we kept that pick on the kid

F'scary
27-12-2012, 06:25 AM
In the "Pick Me" series, the Herald Sun called him a

MIDFIELD WRECKING BALL

Quote, unquote.

Rance Fan
02-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Spoke to David King the other day. He coached Hrovat at Carey.
He said Hrovat is an absolute gun!
Cant wait for him to come through!

GVGjr
02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Spoke to David King the other day. He coached Hrovat at Carey.
He said Hrovat is an absolute gun!
Cant wait for him to come through!

I like listening to David Kings views. Thanks for sharing.

Bulldog Revolution
02-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Wasnt Macrae in that Carey team also?

bornadog
02-05-2013, 11:40 PM
I like listening to David Kings views. Thanks for sharing.

Yes me too very impressive analysis of games.

Rance Fan
03-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Wasnt Macrae in that Carey team also?

Yes he was.

ledge
03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
How is he travelling at the moment injury wise?

bornadog
03-05-2013, 09:38 AM
How is he travelling at the moment injury wise?

He played in the development team last weekend.

Go_Dogs
03-05-2013, 09:39 AM
He played in the development team last weekend.

Named on extended bench for the VFL seniors this week too.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Named on extended bench for the VFL seniors this week too.

Great, it was said he'd probably be the first of the recruits to make an impact in the seniors and was ready. Life full of irony but he will come in with Macrae and Stringer more advanced than expected.
Can't wait for Hrovat to join them. He should feel comfortable with his ex team mate Macrae as a point of reference.

bornadog
23-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Hopefully makes his debut this week

bulldogtragic
23-05-2013, 02:31 PM
If he does wait for the influx of members jumping on his bandwagon. I'm very excited by him. Very!

The Bulldogs Bite
23-05-2013, 02:39 PM

Seconded.

Cyberdoggie
23-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Greg Denham said he thought Williams and Hrovat will play this weekend.
I'm not one to go by anything he says but he seemed very sure of himself for some reason.

Greystache
23-05-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm not one to go by anything he says but he seemed very sure of himself for some reason.

Bugger, I was hoping they would play. Now that's he's said that at least one is certain to miss, probably both. ;)

BornInDroopSt'54
23-05-2013, 04:18 PM

Bewdy.

azabob
23-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Bugger, I was hoping they would play. Now that's he's said that at least one is certain to miss, probably both. ;)

Stache, you were on the money.. You said a few weeks back Hrovat would play this week.

Greystache
23-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Stache, you were on the money.. You said a few weeks back Hrovat would play this week.

Cheers Aza, just an educated guess. He's very very highly rated internally and it was just a matter of him getting some games under his belt before he played, form wasn't even that big a consideration.

EasternWest
25-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Watch this space!

Count me officially on board.

GVGjr
25-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Count me officially on board.

About time :)

EasternWest
25-05-2013, 07:40 PM
About time :)

Gotta see what I'm buying before I pay the full amount!

chef
25-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Looks the goods.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Not the most stunning debut, but at least he's involved.

Rance Fan
25-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Good 1st up effort! Many great years ahead!

GVGjr
25-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Pretty impressive though?

DOG GOD
25-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Looks composed and a decent kick. Him and McCrae look the goods.

bornadog
25-05-2013, 08:46 PM

I thought it was a spectacular debut. 18 disposals, ran his guts out and kicked a goal. Also set up a few goals. This kid is very very good.

ReLoad
25-05-2013, 08:48 PM
The double link up with bob was great, In the last quarter to gut run like that was awesome.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Watch this space!
All aboard!!!!!

bornadog
25-05-2013, 08:57 PM
David King really built him up, no wonder as he coached both Hrovat and Macrae at Carey.

kruder
25-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Sammy Mitchell junior! 2012 is 1999 all over again draft wise. Patience is the key.

Maddog37
25-05-2013, 09:15 PM
He was a first gamer but looks to give us some polish to go with the grunt. Great debut, looks like a proper footballer.

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 09:15 PM
I may be late, but colour me Hrovat! He was absolutely fantastic tonight for a debutant. Poise, class and backed himself all the way. "Midfield wrecking ball"? Looks pretty accurate from where I sat.

Greystache
25-05-2013, 09:26 PM
The wrapts on him seem correct, looks a gun little player.

ratsmac
25-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Smart footballer already. He didn't want to waste a possession. I can see a long career for this lad.
Brilliant debut.

wimberga
25-05-2013, 09:56 PM
A friend of mine growing up was an excellent footballer but he was relatively short (we are talking about 175cm). He played Calder Cannons but in his last year didn't make the final cut, and was told by the coaching staff that for someone his size to make it, every part of their game must be rock solid.

Decision making, ability to read the game, disposal, courage, tank. The fact that Hrovat not only played TAC cup but was Captain and has come to us, assures me that he is one of those guys where you say "if only he was 5cm taller, he would have gone top 5".

Thrilled with his debut and well done to the bloke.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Reminds me a bit of Jarryd Blair.

ratsmac
25-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Reminds me a bit of Jarryd Blair.

He looks more of a Sam Mitchell for mine.

Hotdog60
25-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I think Hrovat may get a nod for the Rising Star.

whythelongface
25-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Fantastic debut. Loved his skills and his poise. That run through the middle was superb.

boydogs
25-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Sammy Mitchell junior!

He looks more of a Sam Mitchell for mine.

Brent Harvey?

ratsmac
25-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Just read on the age website Hrovat had 7 score involvements. Wow, on debut, really!

Twodogs
26-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Brent Harvey?

He's more Robert Harvey than Brent Harvey. He seems to have plenty of time when he has the ball in his hands.

bornadog
26-05-2013, 12:37 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/1_09StWB13AW1600_zps9cf42438.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/1_09StWB13AW1600_zps9cf42438.jpg.html)

Dogs skipper Matthew Boyd with debutant Nathan Hrovat after the win against St Kilda. Picture: AFL Media

bornadog
26-05-2013, 12:44 AM
What a great handpass from the kid

6CR85eIh2TQ

Doc26
26-05-2013, 12:51 AM
What a great handpass from the kid

And seconds before this clip commences was where Nathan's hard work was done to enable getting the handball off to Bob by shrugging off a fierce tackle that belied his years.

lemmon
26-05-2013, 12:54 AM
Might seem a bit retarded but I'm sticking with my 'short Dane Swan' call. Its a ripper draft we've pulled. Seeing good things from Hunter and Prudden as well, if we have nabbed 5 best 22 players its an almost unprecedented draft.

boydogs
26-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Its a ripper draft we've pulled. Seeing good things from Hunter and Prudden as well, if we have nabbed 5 best 22 players its an almost unprecedented draft.

Let's not forget Stevens, Young, Lower & Goodes. 7 of the 9 new players to the club played yesterday, if Hunter gets a run for Jones in Darwin it would be 8!

Chicago1
26-05-2013, 06:19 AM
Posted this on BF a little while ago:

I was pleased to see this on the Old Paradians site yesterday:

Hrovat to make history

Nathan Hrovat, schooled at the Bundoora campus from 2007-2009, is on the cusp of creating Parade College football history.
In making his debut for the Western Bulldogs against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium tomorrow, Nathan becomes the 100th known Old Paradian to play senior League football since Thomas Bernard Fogarty turned out for St Kilda way back in 1898.
Nathan has been named as one of four interchange players for the Western Bulldogs in tomorrow’s match against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium.
The plucky midfielder, 14 days short of his 19th birthday, was rewarded for his solid recent form at Williamstown in playing through the centre as well as pushing forward.
Western Bulldogs Assistant Coach Shannon Grant was quoted as saying Nathan had “thoroughly deserved his opportunity after some really good form at Williamstown over the last month or so”.
Nathan, who previously captained the Northern Knights, was taken by the Bulldogs with their third first-round selection (No. 21 overall) in last year’s AFL draft.
He follows the Bulldogs’ Patrick Veszpremi, who became the 99th Old Paradian to debut at senior League level for his former team Sydney back in 2008.
Daniel Currie, a final year Parade student of 2007, is a current senior-listed player for North Melbourne, but yet to complete his senior debut.
Initially, 87 Old Paradians - amongst them "Jock" McHale, "Phonse" Kyne, Peter Bedford, Peter McKenna and Sergio Silvagni - were identified in the lead-up to the naming of "The Pride of Parade" best-ever team in 2011. Since then, a further 12 League footballers ex-Parade, including the 122-game former North Melbourne captain-coach and club best and fairest Charlie Cameron, have extended that tally to 99.
The Old Paradians' Association extends its very best wishes to Nathan Hrovat on the eve of this significant milestone.

As an Old Paradian myself(staff 1990-1999) it is great to have another OP join the ranks of the Bulldogs. Congratulations on a great game yesterday!

chef
26-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Might seem a bit retarded but I'm sticking with my 'short Dane Swan' call. Its a ripper draft we've pulled. Seeing good things from Hunter and Prudden as well, if we have nabbed 5 best 22 players its an almost unprecedented draft.

I thought the same thing.

OLD SCRAGGer
26-05-2013, 06:57 AM
I think Hrovat may get a nod for the Rising Star.

Same here. He was BRILLIANT yesterday. Speak to him most days at club, he is a GREAT KID. Love him

Mofra
26-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Tore it up. Bloody happy with the kid

bornadog
26-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Kz8dSgcQmV0

EasternWest
26-05-2013, 07:27 PM

I'ma bit perplexed by this.

As WOOF's resident perennial glass half full guy, for you of all people to describe his game like that is surprising ;).

He was terrific last night. It wasn't that he got a bit and kicked a goal, he was just so composed with it, never panicked once and laid off some particularly good pressure handballs. I was thrilled with his performance, thrilled. He's going to be a fine player.

westdog54
26-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Kz8dSgcQmV0

Bloody good set shot for goal for anyone, let alone a first gamer.

Dry Rot
26-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I'ma bit perplexed by this.

As WOOF's resident perennial glass half full guy, for you of all people to describe his game like that is surprising ;).

He was terrific last night. It wasn't that he got a bit and kicked a goal, he was just so composed with it, never panicked once and laid off some particularly good pressure handballs. I was thrilled with his performance, thrilled. He's going to be a fine player.

Agreed.

Just watched the game on the so called BigPond Smart Replay. I reckon his debut was one of the best I've seen. How many times was he in the guts doing important hard stuff?

bornadog
27-05-2013, 12:45 PM
-y-73X6sxsA

Cyberdoggie
27-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Worth swapping Brian Lake for him now?

F'scary
27-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks, BAD. That was sensational. A nippy, high DE player who will get the ball 25-40 times a match and has good set shot goal kicking technique as well. You could not ask for more.

KT31
27-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks BAD, was a bit of criticism when we recruited him, but as Kingy said exactly what we need.
Great game on debut.
Seemed to have a bond with Stringer at the start at the video, which can only be good for us.
With the six recruits from last season playing well, it looks like we may finally have got a draft and trade period right.

LostDoggy
27-05-2013, 02:03 PM
He seemed to make the correct decision everytime he had the football.

He did make a couple of execution errors which resulted in turnovers, but the composure was still evident everytime.

It's refreshing having a bloke who just doesn't slam it on the boot as soon as he gets it.

Very good debut!

LostDoggy
27-05-2013, 02:09 PM
He seemed to make the correct decision everytime he had the football.

He did make a couple of execution errors which resulted in turnovers, but the composure was still evident everytime.

It's refreshing having a bloke who just doesn't slam it on the boot as soon as he gets it.

Very good debut!

Seemed a natural ala Mitchell /Murphy
Big call but we dream the dream

Guido
27-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Worth swapping Brian Lake for him now?
I don't think many people had an issue with swapping Lake for Hawthorn's first pick ... it was the draft pick we gave them in return (along with Lake) that people (IMO rightly) questioned.

We had the last piece of their premiership mix in our hands and he was contracted .. many felt we didn't negotiate hard enough.

Had we pushed, they would have relented and we would have walked away with Hrovat and pick 27 as well - which would have been outstanding list management.

I said it at the time and I'll say it now ... I only know 2 "insiders" at clubs, and one of them is affiliated with Hawthorn ... he's told me that they were budgeting on the having to give up the first pick outright and they were pretty much doing handstands when the deal was done so cheaply. When a coach comes out a few days later lauding the opposition's negotiators for being so fair and reasonable, IMO you know for a fact that you haven't pushed hard enough.

But what I truly worry about is that those running our footy department offered the pick that got Hrovat, PLUS a third rounder, for Chris Dawes. Madness, complete and utter madness. And that's without accounting for the $400K saving in our salary cap.

Anyway, things have worked well and I haven't said this on debut about anybody before (because it is so dangerous), but we, at worst, have a player who comfortably sit among the top 10 on this club's list for the next 10 years. And unlike Dawes, this guy will contribute to a number of premiership tilts.

LostDoggy
27-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Agreed.

Just watched the game on the so called BigPond Smart Replay. I reckon his debut was one of the best I've seen. How many times was he in the guts doing important hard stuff?

Never once looked lost or out of his depth.

Cyberdoggie
27-05-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't think many people had an issue with swapping Lake for Hawthorn's first pick ... it was the draft pick we gave them in return (along with Lake) that people (IMO rightly) questioned.

We had the last piece of their premiership mix in our hands and he was contracted .. many felt we didn't negotiate hard enough.

Had we pushed, they would have relented and we would have walked away with Hrovat and pick 27 as well - which would have been outstanding list management.

I said it at the time and I'll say it now ... I only know 2 "insiders" at clubs, and one of them is affiliated with Hawthorn ... he's told me that they were budgeting on the having to give up the first pick outright and they were pretty much doing handstands when the deal was done so cheaply. When a coach comes out a few days later lauding the opposition's negotiators for being so fair and reasonable, IMO you know for a fact that you haven't pushed hard enough.

Hard for us to say without being involved personally but perhaps the deal was done so quickly to also avoid fan backlash. If word got out that we were trying to do a deal to trade Brian then as usual the mob would of had their say and the deal might not of been done.

Also the hawks paying his salary helps as well.

I think most of us agree we would of liked the two picks but I was still ok with the 1 because this was a quality draft.

All in all I think supporters will be very happy with Nathan, especially as the hawks will be lucky to get 2 seasons out of Brian.

LongWait
27-05-2013, 04:46 PM

But what I truly worry about is that those running our footy department offered the pick that got Hrovat, PLUS a third rounder, for Chris Dawes. Madness, complete and utter madness. And that's without accounting for the $400K saving in our salary cap.

Anyway, things have worked well and I haven't said this on debut about anybody before (because it is so dangerous), but we, at worst, have a player who comfortably sit among the top 10 on this club's list for the next 10 years. And unlike Dawes, this guy will contribute to a number of premiership tilts.

Well I know a Hawthorn insider extremely well and I call bullshit!

bornadog
27-05-2013, 04:48 PM

Gee love your argument, you have convinced us.:D

LongWait
27-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Gee love your argument, you have convinced us.:D

I am very, very sure of my source - believe me or not - I couldn't care really.

bornadog
27-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I am very, very sure of my source - believe me or not - I couldn't care really.

Not doubting you or Guido, just the way you put it was funny.

Personally, I am more than happy we got Hrovat with pick 21. The club was expecting him to go earlier, so we won. The kid was captain of his TAC team, won the B&F playing only 8 games, he will be a gun.

LongWait
27-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Not doubting you or Guido, just the way you put it was funny.

Personally, I am more than happy we got Hrovat with pick 21. The club was expecting him to go earlier, so we won. The kid was captain of his TAC team, won the B&F playing only 8 games, he will be a gun.

Someone was talking shit in my view (and I don't think it was Guido) - I'll try to be more creative next time...;)

Guido
27-05-2013, 05:08 PM
You can call what you want, I'm relaying nothing more than what a Hawthorn employee told me.

I've met about a dozen people on here personally, been on the Bulldogs forums since the official Bulldogs forum in the late 90s, and can assure you that, other than the above info put forward, and maybe a couple of tidbits from a recruiting scout from another club that I've known for over 10 years, you will not find a single post of the last few thousand that I've made where I say "I know this inside info from so and so and they said this and this".

LongWait
27-05-2013, 05:25 PM
You can call what you want, I'm relaying nothing more than what a Hawthorn employee told me.

I've met about a dozen people on here personally, been on the Bulldogs forums since the official Bulldogs forum in the late 90s, and can assure you that, other than the above info put forward, and maybe a couple of tidbits from a recruiting scout from another club that I've known for over 10 years, you will not find a single post of the last few thousand that I've made where I say "I know this inside info from so and so and they said this and this".

I'm not questioning your credibility - I'm saying that your Hawthorn "employee" is telling you a story about the Lake trade that I am very confident is incorrect.

Sedat
27-05-2013, 06:16 PM
The Lake trade was poorly negotiated by us but we at least secured a draft 'slider' with the upgraded pick and not another Clayton-esque athlete 'reach' prospect. Hrovat looks like he was born with a footy in his hands - more footy smart players like Hrovat on the list please.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2013, 06:20 PM
The Lake trade was poorly negotiated by us but we at least secured a draft 'slider' with the upgraded pick and not another Clayton-esque athlete 'reach' prospect. Hrovat looks like he was born with a footy in his hands - more footy smart players like Hrovat on the list please.
Yep. It is in the 'win' column. Not sure what the issue is.

Remi Moses
27-05-2013, 06:24 PM
For goodness sake we're going over tired old ground.
I'd hazard NOT paying out Brian's contract was part of the picks swap.

chef
27-05-2013, 06:28 PM
I love how people think the Lake trade wasn't weeks in the making.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 08:36 PM
From my limited understanding the first round draft pick compensation that the Hawks might have considered was largely contingent on the Dogs contributing a decent chunk of Lakes salary. I believe we wanted to invest as much as we could back into the footy department so it wasn't really an option for us.

Back to Hrovat, really impressed by him and look forward to his continued development.

Maddog37
27-05-2013, 08:40 PM
As usual, somewhere in the middle, the truth lies.

bornadog
27-05-2013, 10:58 PM

I agree Remi, I am sick and tired of the same old discussions on what trade we did wrong and blaming every man and his dog from the past on our current list. What happened has happened, we can't change a bloody thing, so lets move forward. What is important is what we do from now on.

LongWait
27-05-2013, 11:01 PM

Fair point (and yes, as I understand it Lake's existing contract was a significant issue in the negotiations.)

jeemak
28-05-2013, 12:25 AM
As usual, somewhere in the middle, the truth lies.

Surely it's easier (with limited information) to just choose a side of an argument and stick with it no matter what?

Mofra
28-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Surely it's easier (with limited information) to just choose a side of an argument and stick with it no matter what?
We would have got more for Lake if we sacked the coach

:p

Chicago1
28-05-2013, 11:49 AM
I like the boy!

A bit timely? ;) I'm sure most of you are too young to remember.

Twodogs
28-05-2013, 12:02 PM
I like the boy!

A bit timely? ;) I'm sure most of you are too young to remember.

Sadly I am not.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/xWKyDGGptA4/mqdefault.jpg

Did you say 'boy' or 'Roy'

Raw Toast
28-05-2013, 09:24 PM
While I too, remain unconvinced that we got as much as the Hawks would have been willing to pay for Lake, I've liked the Hrovat pick from the start, and his debut was very, very pleasing.

Maddog37
28-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Would it feel any better if the trade helped us get a reputation as a good club to deal with? Is that of any tangible benefit at all?

stefoid
28-05-2013, 09:46 PM
No way we got Hrovat with pick 27. The pick turned a somewhat distasteful trade into a real winner.

Guido
28-05-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm not questioning your credibility - I'm saying that your Hawthorn "employee" is telling you a story about the Lake trade that I am very confident is incorrect.
I have no reason to doubt his word - he's been a teammate of mine for years and never been someone to big note himself ... but if you get the chance, ask your mate whether internally they had resolved that a straight swap of their first pick was the maximum they were willing to part with, and, secondly, if they were celebrating after the deal got done.

If the bloke you know confirms exactly that, I'm sure I can trust you to post it? :)

I love how people think the Lake trade wasn't weeks in the making.
The length of discussions is inconsequential in comparison to the price paid. Two years ago we held firm on the asking price for Josh Hill - whether the clubs were negotiating for a month, a week, Hawthorn initially rejected the price ... on the last day they come in with an offer of a second and fourth round pick. For Josh Hill. Holding firm when the other party really wants what you have = good outcomes.

No way we got Hrovat with pick 27.
No-one is saying we would have?

Anyway, I apologise to everyone for contributing towards derailing the thread. I think our negotiating skills and decision making in trades is a very relevant discussion for the club going forward - seeing Hrovat debuting for, say, a Collingwood this year while Dawes was stinking it up for us on $500K would have just about sent me over the edge - but this thread wasn't the time or place.

So back to the Nathan Hrovat love - as a midget myself, I'm also very happy that someone shorter than 5'9" will still be on an AFL list for the next 10 years. *fist pump that almost reaches 6 feet in the air*

jeemak
29-05-2013, 01:40 AM
I suppose tying up the Lake deal early provided us with options to use the picks generated from it throughout the trade period, rather than having nothing to facilitate an fairly open strategy towards player acquisition. Rightly or wrongly (and thankfully we used it in the fashion we did eventually).

Often I find the club trade and list management debate to be similar to political debate. There's not a lot of middle ground occupied, and most seem polarised in their opinions of the direction the club might have taken, or should have taken.

There's always tensions between various outcomes, for the most part with limited information at hand it's pretty hard to choose a side. We can have people on the inside, we can look from the outside in and interpret the information available to us with the best level of objectivity we can muster. Though at the end of the day, none of us really know and probably never will.

ledge
29-05-2013, 08:29 AM
This is my thoughts on the trade, Lake 2 years left and we aren't in a premiership window, I believe we got Hrovat and Stevens for him, 10 year players with huge upside, I know who won that trade by a country mile! Maybe I am wrong or right but that's my spin and it sounds pretty amazing :-)
By the way Hrovat is an absolute beauty.

LostDoggy
29-05-2013, 09:26 AM
This is my thoughts on the trade, Lake 2 years left and we aren't in a premiership window, I believe we got Hrovat and Stevens for him, 10 year players with huge upside, I know who won that trade by a country mile! Maybe I am wrong or right but that's my spin and it sounds pretty amazing :-)
By the way Hrovat is an absolute beauty.

Here here. Lets not de-rail a Hrovat Appreciation thread with ongoing speculation about some Harris/Lake/Whatever bloke, and stick to the topic at hand.

The kid is a smooth mover and will be a prolific ballwinner. I cannot wait to see our midfield in 5 years time with the kids coming through.

Hrovat Macrae Hunter Stringer.

Regardless of what the media say (comparing us to Melbourne? Really? :rolleyes:) the future at the kennel looks inspiring.

Sedat
29-05-2013, 09:52 AM
I have no reason to doubt his word - he's been a teammate of mine for years and never been someone to big note himself ... but if you get the chance, ask your mate whether internally they had resolved that a straight swap of their first pick was the maximum they were willing to part with, and, secondly, if they were celebrating after the deal got done.

If the bloke you know confirms exactly that, I'm sure I can trust you to post it? :)

The length of discussions is inconsequential in comparison to the price paid. Two years ago we held firm on the asking price for Josh Hill - whether the clubs were negotiating for a month, a week, Hawthorn initially rejected the price ... on the last day they come in with an offer of a second and fourth round pick. For Josh Hill. Holding firm when the other party really wants what you have = good outcomes.

No-one is saying we would have?

Anyway, I apologise to everyone for contributing towards derailing the thread. I think our negotiating skills and decision making in trades is a very relevant discussion for the club going forward - seeing Hrovat debuting for, say, a Collingwood this year while Dawes was stinking it up for us on $500K would have just about sent me over the edge - but this thread wasn't the time or place.

So back to the Nathan Hrovat love - as a midget myself, I'm also very happy that someone shorter than 5'9" will still be on an AFL list for the next 10 years. *fist pump that almost reaches 6 feet in the air*
Well said on all counts Guido.

Kerry Packer used to say than an "Alan Bond only comes around once in your lifetime". Well for us it is Mark Neeld - he saved us from our own stupidity by offering the farm for Chris Dawes, thus allowing us to keep pick 21 and use it to snare a draft slider and pure footballer like Hrovat. No matter how we got there, at least the end result is positive.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Back on to the topic of what this thread should be about. Nathan Hrovat. A little beauty. Looking forward to see his improvement over the years. Very happy that we made sure we secured Nathan in the draft.

F'scary
29-05-2013, 02:37 PM
I agree Remi, I am sick and tired of the same old discussions on what trade we did wrong and blaming every man and his dog from the past on our current list. What happened has happened, we can't change a bloody thing, so lets move forward. What is important is what we do from now on.

Come on, BAD. It is good grist for the mill.:)

bornadog
29-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Come on, BAD. It is good grist for the mill.:)

Must look to the future, the past is too bleak:D

LongWait
29-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Guido - I have stated that a straight swap of Lake for the Hawks first round pick was never going to fly - Hawthorn proposed that we pay some of Lake's salary and various proposals were considered and, ultimately, the clubs reached agreement involving a swap of picks instead of us paying any of Lake's salary.

If Fantasia was as poor in this negotiation as you claim, why then would they only a few months later sign him up on a multi-year deal as their Football Manager?

I'd suggest some of the staff at Hawthorn are bragging at getting Lake and exaggerating - it happens in organisations every day. "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

bornadog
29-05-2013, 10:10 PM
If Fantasia was as poor in this negotiation as you claim, why then would they only a few months later sign him up on a multi-year deal as their Football Manager?

Just because Hawthorn signed him up doesn't mean he is any good at his job.

My understanding is the club was happy to see the back of him. Fantasia's claim to fame is he is good at managing up, but certainly not managing large football departments. There are lots of mistakes he made with player contracts which he was responsible for, which has been done to death on WOOF.

At Hawthorn, he will not be negotiating any contracts.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2013, 10:21 PM
I would hope we look closely at Garlett if he's improved/on the right track.

LongWait
29-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Just because Hawthorn signed him up doesn't mean he is any good at his job.

If Hawthorn thought they got the better of us over the Lake trade they would be unlikely to appoint the person they duped.

Whether you, I or the Western Bulldogs rate Fantasia is hardly the point.

Dazza
29-05-2013, 10:53 PM
For an 'inside mid' I thought his ball use was top notch by foot. Really classy player.

Hopefully Hunter and Prudden get/deserve a gig soon.

Twodogs
30-05-2013, 12:52 AM
Hunter played well at Willy on the weekend.

Before I Die
30-05-2013, 01:03 AM
I would hope we look closely at Garlett if he's improved/on the right track.

I firmly believe in the no d#@khead rule, even if it meant a premiership, and I have been waiting a long time. No club drafted him, not even as a rookie. Pass for me.

chef
30-05-2013, 07:51 AM
I firmly believe in the no d#@khead rule, even if it meant a premiership, and I have been waiting a long time. No club drafted him, not even as a rookie. Pass for me.

I'd have a team full of d**kheads if it meant a premiership

Topdog
30-05-2013, 08:56 AM

So even if he has improved and is no longer a xxx you still wouldn't want him.

Topdog
30-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Anyway Hrovat is paying $15 to win the rising star nomination this week. Playing against Port I'm hopping on.

bornadog
30-05-2013, 09:35 AM
I'd have a team full of d**kheads if it meant a premiership.

This^^^^

Dancin' Douggy
30-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Early stages I know, but this years draft / trade period may be the best in the clubs history.

Adding Lower, Young and Stevens for next to nothing.

Stringer, Macrae and Hrovat all look like genuine top shelf talent.

Hunter could be something special as well.

And Prudden seems to be on the right path.

And there's no Patrick Bowden in there.

I know I'm going the early crow, but......... well done to the recruitment / list management staff.

Dancin' Douggy
30-05-2013, 10:38 AM
I'd have a team full of d**kheads if it meant a premiership.

Hmmmm. Could we have at least ONE Robert Murphy in there?

bulldogtragic
30-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Anyway Hrovat is paying $15 to win the rising star nomination this week. Playing against Port I'm hopping on.
That's a winner there. $15! That's less than Cooney was paying for the Charlie.

The Underdog
30-05-2013, 06:17 PM

An 18 year old kid made some poor choices at the wrong time. How long do you penalise him for? And let's face it, if you think you can create a list of 40+, 18-35year olds males, with loads of disposable cash & not end up with any dickheads, you're fooling yourself.

GVGjr
30-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Hmmmm. Could we have at least ONE Robert Murphy in there?

Nearly everybody disliked Jason Akermanis when he played for the Lions. He was seen as arrogant and over opinionated amongst other things.

Then he came and played for us and most of the people who disliked him all of a sudden embraced him until he eventually became too much of a handful and became a problem child. Now he is gone and back on the hated list.

Plenty of peoples standards can be compromised if the chance of winning a flag.

I think the no dickheads rule is a good one and it doesn't mean you can't have some challenging guys at the club but I can't see why anyone would want a team of dickheads.

chef
30-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Nearly everybody disliked Jason Akermanis when he played for the Lions. He was seen as arrogant and over opinionated amongst other things.

Then he came and played for us and most of the people who disliked him all of a sudden embraced him until he eventually became too much of a handful and became a problem child. Now he is gone and back on the hated list.

I think the no dickheads rule is a good one and it doesn't mean you can't have some challenging guys at the club but I can't see why anyone would want a team of dickheads.

I don't want a team of dickheads, I just want to see a premiership and if the team happens to contain them so be it.

GVGjr
30-05-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't want a team of dickheads, I just want to see a premiership and if the team happens to contain them so be it.

Does this means your standards are somewhat flexible depending if it fulfills your main focus?

chef
30-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Does this means your standards are somewhat flexible depending if it fulfills your main focus?

In terms of a premiership, yes(but only for one).

We have made exceptions before with players like Hall, Akermanis, Welsh etc.

LostDoggy
30-05-2013, 09:33 PM
From Lake's trade to a team of dickheads, that Hrovat can play!

boydogs
30-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Adding Lower, Young and Stevens for next to nothing.

And Goodes for absolutely nothing :D

soupman
31-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Not for some people. The amount of supporters who were won over by Akermanis enough to have them livid with the club for his premature retirement was astonishing. These very same people who were now backing Aker over the club they had supported for decades considered Akermanis the ultimate dickhead just years prior. It's bizarre.

Twodogs
31-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Not for some people. The amount of supporters who were won over by Akermanis enough to have them livid with the club for his premature retirement was astonishing. These very same people who were now backing Aker over the club they had supported for decades considered Akermanis the ultimate dickhead just years prior. It's bizarre.

My dad still has a three foot wide sticker on the rear bumper bar of his car apologizing to 'Akka*' for how the club treated him. It says something along the lines of "Forgive them for they know not what they've done"

*I havent got the heart to point out to him that it's 'Aker', not 'Akka'...

Murphy'sLore
31-05-2013, 02:22 PM
My daughter still adores Aker. Mind you, she has an excuse, she's only eight

bornadog
31-05-2013, 04:09 PM
My daughter still adores Aker. Mind you, she has an excuse, she's only eight

The kids loved Aker, they loved saying his name and he was very good with the kids. Took the time to talk to them.

boydogs
31-05-2013, 07:58 PM
*I havent got the heart to point out to him that it's 'Aker', not 'Akka'...

It's Aka on his book ;)

Ghost Dog
01-06-2013, 09:58 AM

Good lord yes. Is it all about winning a hunk of metal? Or making a better community?

bulldogtragic
14-07-2013, 05:37 PM
This is what I'm talking about.

chef
14-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Going to be a gun

anfo27
14-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Was terrific today. Its a shame he had the goal taken away from him as he deserved a goal. Hopefully he gets a nomination & think he will be a ripper for us.

bornadog
14-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Was terrific today. Its a shame he had the goal taken away from him as he deserved a goal. Hopefully he gets a nomination & think he will be a ripper for us.

What about the mark that was also taken away from him as well.

I thought he was fantastic today.

westdog54
14-07-2013, 08:55 PM
My God we've bicked our kids well the last couple of years.

This boy is a dead set gem.

bornadog
14-07-2013, 08:56 PM
My God we've bicked our kids well the last couple of years.

This boy is a dead set gem.

Helps when you finish near the bottom.

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Still got caught a couple of times - but that's partially because of not having good options upfied + around him.
Other than getting caught he is a fantastic little footballer.

Topdog
14-07-2013, 08:59 PM

Very true but this was pick 21.

GVGjr
14-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Hrovat wasn't a real early pick. Takes the game on, skilful and a good decision maker.

NoName
14-07-2013, 09:03 PM
I love Hrovat!

westdog54
14-07-2013, 09:06 PM

I count Smith and Talia in this as well.

The bulldog tragician
14-07-2013, 09:30 PM
And he is brave. Head over the ball time and again. Love this kid.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2013, 09:35 PM
And if all the 'boomer' Harvey comparisons are right, we have 18 years of him ahead! :)

azabob
14-07-2013, 09:39 PM
And if all the 'boomer' Harvey comparisons are right, we have 18 years of him ahead! :)

I prefer the Sam Mitchell comparisons!

soupman
14-07-2013, 09:41 PM
I prefer the Sam Mitchell comparisons!

Me too. I associate Harvey too much with sniping, whingeing and diving.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Me too. I associate Harvey too much with sniping, whingeing and diving.
True. But he's their best player since Carey.

LostDoggy
17-07-2013, 01:25 PM

We've done extremely well with most of our picks, early and late. I'd love to buy the entire recruiting team a beer at season's end.

True. But he's their best player since Carey.

And a bigger knob.

Mofra
17-07-2013, 01:27 PM
And a bigger knob.
He went out of his way to train with Hrovat multiple times last year just to help the kid out. Doesn't sound like a bad bloke if he's doing that just to help a kid out.
Lachie Hunter trained with them once too IIRC.

Ozza
17-07-2013, 06:19 PM
His last two weeks his had -

- an excellent contribution as a sub for nearly a half
- and then an excellent full game performance

Looking forward to seeing if he can put in another good game (hard for young players, especially on a 6 day break - but he's a very good kid).

bornadog
17-07-2013, 06:54 PM
I think Hrovat is the best of our picks from the last draft.

bornadog
17-07-2013, 06:55 PM
We've done extremely well with most of our picks, early and late. I'd love to buy the entire recruiting team a beer at season's end.

Dalyrmple has only really made one error to date and that is picking Howard as our first pick. I think to date he has an excellent track record.

comrade
17-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Dalyrmple has only really made one error to date and that is picking Howard as our first pick. I think to date he has an excellent track record.

If you're going to make a mistake, you really don't want it to be with your first pick.

Poor bloke'll have nightmares about Christian Howard for the rest of his life :D

azabob
17-07-2013, 08:06 PM
If you're going to make a mistake, you really don't want it to be with your first pick.

Poor bloke'll have nightmares about Christian Howard for the rest of his life :D

First pick in that draft and his first draft pick overall!

LostDoggy
17-07-2013, 08:53 PM
I think that whole draft from him was a bit of a nightmare. Howard, Tutt, Markovic.
Tutt may yet turn out to be a decent player, but plenty of good youngsters missed before and between pick one and two.

LostDoggy
17-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I think that whole draft from him was a bit of a nightmare. Howard, Tutt, Markovic.
Tutt may yet turn out to be a decent player, but plenty of good youngsters missed before and between pick one and two.

Were Hill and Skinner in the same draft? If so they had a nightmare - lets hope it is the equivalent of the 'loosener' in cricket - first ball of a new spell being dispatched to the fence

SlimPickens
17-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Were Hill and Skinner in the same draft? If so they had a nightmare - lets hope it is the equivalent of the 'loosener' in cricket - first ball of a new spell being dispatched to the fence

Don't mind missing with late picks as they are mostly speculative. As for Howard well that's just a bad miss.

LostDoggy
17-07-2013, 11:20 PM

Next one. The Wallis/Libber draft.

stefoid
17-07-2013, 11:22 PM

I liked Tutts kicking into the F50 on the weekend - he was kicking it long to dangerous spaces.

ratsmac
19-07-2013, 03:33 AM

I think Dalrymple can be given a little grace for the Markovic pick too because at the time I believe we had nothing coming through down back if Lake or Williams got injured. And as it turned out Lake missed pretty much a whole season where Marko played a role.

Mofra
19-07-2013, 10:02 AM
I think Dalrymple can be given a little grace for the Markovic pick too because at the time I believe we had nothing coming through down back if Lake or Williams got injured. And as it turned out Lake missed pretty much a whole season where Marko played a role.
Marko finished in the top 10 of our best and fairest that year - not quite ready to call it a pass, but not the abject failure of many other draftees who don't make the grade.

Ghost Dog
19-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Marko finished in the top 10 of our best and fairest that year - not quite ready to call it a pass, but not the abject failure of many other draftees who don't make the grade.

And there was a lot of ball coming in down back that year....

Happy Days
26-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Anyone else immediately think of the song by The Walkmen, "The Rat", when he gets the ball? Not a bad thing :)

chef
26-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Anyone else immediately think of the song by The Walkmen, "The Rat", when he gets the ball? Not a bad thing :)

Great song.

bornadog
15-06-2014, 10:34 PM
I thought he was ok today, he does run out of a bit of puff but 16 disposals, 5 tackles and 3 inside 50's. He is also another smart footballer.

F'scary
15-06-2014, 11:57 PM
I thought he was ok today, he does run out of a bit of puff but 16 disposals, 5 tackles and 3 inside 50's. He is also another smart footballer.

He's only a little chap but he shows a bit of vision on disposal and has clean hands.

Ozza
16-06-2014, 12:10 AM
Good little creative player the rat! Aside from good use of the footy he (and Tutty also) belied his size and stature by body lining the ball a couple of times late in the game.

bornadog
17-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Link h (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-06-17/hrovat-cool-in-heat)ere

What Nathan Hrovat lacks in experience he makes up for with class and the 20-year-old’s fourth quarter in the Bulldogs win against Collingwood proves he is more than comfortable at AFL level.Hrovat has been a complementary inclusion to the Bulldogs mosquito fleet, averaging a goal a game in his three appearances.
But his seven touches and three tackles in the heat of the game against Collingwood has been the biggest indicator in 2014 that the former Northern Knights captain is a ready-made footballer.
After injury prolonged his start to the season, the small forward is benefiting from getting his body right and is now setting his sights on more regular senior football.
“It was a little bit frustrating at the start of the year but it’s been good that I’ve been able to get a little bit of continuity in my football,” Hrovat told SEN radio on Monday.
“I’ve just been trying to chip away at it week by week and work with the boys in the forward line and work with Shannon grant and Steven King and Macca.
“[I’m] just trying to slowly, slowly put together my game and gain some experience from there.”
While the prospect of facing ladder leaders Port Adelaide may seem daunting for some young players, Hrovat sees it as an opportunity to test his limits and measure the team’s progress.
“We always like to play against the best, it shows you where you need to be,” he said.
“Obviously coming off the back of the Collingwood game we know that if we play our brand of football that we can be in the game and we can be competitive.
“That is all we ask for because it gives you an opportunity to win, so hopefully we can go over there and put in the same performance.”

azabob
17-06-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned millions of times, but he is such a relaxed and polished media performer.

He spoke so well, I think even the hosts were surprised how well he spoke.

F'scary
17-06-2014, 10:15 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned millions of times, but he is such a relaxed and polished media performer.

He spoke so well, I think even the hosts were surprised how well he spoke.

Bit of a change from Dougy.

bornadog
13-07-2014, 05:52 PM
His performance yesterday was over shadowed by the 43 disposal game of Macrae, but did play a very good game for us. Besides the wrestling, he must get the rising star nomination this week. 27 disposals and one goal will surely earn him one.

We really do have another beauty here.

bulldogtragic
13-07-2014, 06:40 PM
His performance yesterday was over shadowed by the 43 disposal game of Macrae, but did play a very good game for us. Besides the wrestling, he must get the rising star nomination this week. 27 disposals and one goal will surely earn him one.

Absolutely, I think he has shaken off the trade BS that some wanted him involved in at the time, I hope everyone is passed that because this kid is going to great.

F'scary
13-07-2014, 07:39 PM

yeah - agree. He has no trouble finding the ball, he's nippy, got a bit of a frame for his size and has better disposal skills than a few of our main stays over the past 5 or so years.

Ghost Dog
13-07-2014, 08:09 PM
If you offered us a boomer Harvey for the next ten years I would say yes please, and this is just what we may have.

boydogs
13-07-2014, 10:05 PM
If you offered us a boomer Harvey for the next ten years I would say yes please, and this is just what we may have.

Boomer doesn't have the vision or kicking skills that Hrovat has. He has the reputation of being a hog, whilst Hrovat is an assist player

always right
13-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Boomer is a great finisher, efficient pass and has pace to burn. I'd be happy if Hrovat replicated his career.

jeemak
13-07-2014, 11:04 PM
If Hrovat gets one half to two thirds of the career Harvey has enjoyed out of himself then I'll be more than happy.

Brent Harvey, as much as I think he's a right shit, is a great of the game. People call him selfish, but I don't think he is. He's just better than most of his team mates and plays accordingly.

Remi Moses
14-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Can't stand Harvey( not on pat Malone there) but if he's anywhere near Harvey, he's going to be some player.

Ghost Dog
14-07-2014, 10:37 AM
I've met Harvey and he was quite friendly to me. Met him at a kids thing down at Fed Square. A real gentleman.
I must admit, the way North supporters yell out ' Go Boom Boom' gives me the shudders.

If you are short, you have to be very, very good to play at AFL level. There's very few diminutive gentlemen in AFL. You have to be Liberatore-ruthless at the ball, and that's going to spill over to the man at times.

Mofra
14-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Boomer Harvey took time out in 2012 to train with both Hrovat and Hunter, even though he knew Hunter would not end up at North. Decent guy.

Ozza
14-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Really clever little player, Hrovat. Makes really good decisions and has the skills to execute them too.

Amongst Hrovat, Hunter & Bonti we have some real football smarts and creativity in the forward line at the moment.

Sedat
14-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Boomer doesn't have the vision or kicking skills that Hrovat has. He has the reputation of being a hog, whilst Hrovat is an assist player
Wow, scathing assessment of an absolute champion of the modern game. I dislike the sheepdog as much as anyone but his quality and brilliance over an 18 year career cannot be questioned. He is still the first player tagged in that team.

If Hrovat can even replicate half the career that Harvey has had, it would be a terrific result for us.

LostDoggy
14-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Wow, scathing assessment of an absolute champion of the modern game. I dislike the sheepdog as much as anyone but his quality and brilliance over an 18 year career cannot be questioned. He is still the first player tagged in that team.

If Hrovat can even replicate half the career that Harvey has had, it would be a terrific result for us.

Not to mention that he is now a very good chance to take home the Brownlow this year!

boydogs
14-07-2014, 02:31 PM

He's an excellent player but if you see him in space 50 out from goal, don't bother leading. 9 times out of 10 he will kick the goal, but he won't look to pass.

Hrovat may not be as explosive but he has already shown that he sees the option that others miss, and has the courage and skill to execute the difficult kick for the better result

He did it twice against the Suns, kicking across goal to an open player instead of bombing it on Redpath's head

Twodogs
14-07-2014, 03:57 PM
For many years people at other clubs routinely loathed Brad Johnson. And for a lot of the same reasons posters are now saying about Brent Harvey.

Ozza
14-07-2014, 05:11 PM
I was completely oblivious to the Brad Johnson dislike until his last couple of seasons. And was so surprised when I started hearing about it! I was convinced everyone loved Johnno, and couldn't imagine why anyone wouldn't.

At first I thought it was just other supporters hating that he'd torched them, but got to know that there were a few Johnno traits that got people off side.

The Boomer dislike is possibly more 'universal'. He's been an absolute great of the game...but definitely one that is hard to take!

ledge
14-07-2014, 06:25 PM
What I have seen of hrovat early was he would play really well for a 1/4 then dissappear, Saturday was his first full game of effort, he is coming along nicely now, will be a great hard nut player.

Hotdog60
14-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Like most players when they get near the end of their career they resort to other tactics than skill and pace to win the ball.

Go_Dogs
14-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Showed some great pace and his vision was again on display.

His execution let him down a few times, but he's generally a neat user so I'm not concerned by that.

LostDoggy
14-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Rising Star nominee for round 17!

Mofra
14-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Rising Star nominee for round 17!
Good result - he's a secodn year player who missed out on a proper pre-season this year.

If he's fit over this upcoming summer he'll be best 22 next year.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Big fan - does most things right.

No surprise our side has looked/played a lot better since Hrovat, Hunter, Bonti, Stringer and Macrae have been able to string games together. All guns.

wimberga
15-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Big fan - does most things right.

No surprise our side has looked/played a lot better since Hrovat, Hunter, Bonti, Stringer and Macrae have been able to string games together. All guns.

Agree with this wholeheartedly TBB.

Theres a real sense that this is no longer Murphys, Gia's, Boyd's team, but it really belongs to those guys you mentioned above. The older guys are having a steering hand of course, but the reliance has shifted.

This is really exciting, and I think that of all those you mentioned above, for some reason I actually think Hrovat is pivotal to that. Its something about the energy and the attitude he brings to the game. It feels like all the young guys want to be more involved. Maybe that's just a ramble though...

LostDoggy
15-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Agree with this wholeheartedly TBB.

Theres a real sense that this is no longer Murphys, Gia's, Boyd's team, but it really belongs to those guys you mentioned above. The older guys are having a steering hand of course, but the reliance has shifted.

This is really exciting, and I think that of all those you mentioned above, for some reason I actually think Hrovat is pivotal to that. Its something about the energy and the attitude he brings to the game. It feels like all the young guys want to be more involved. Maybe that's just a ramble though...

And it's more encouraging in that many felt we'd be absolutely cooked when Boyd, Gia, Cross, Murphy, etc retired. Doesn't look so bleak any longer.

Cyberdoggie
15-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Congrats to Hrovat in getting this weeks nomination with a breakout performance on the weekend.

He had just started to show a couple of signs the last few weeks, starting with the Port Adelaide game and finally has put it all together for 4 quarters.

To see Hunter, JJ, Stringer, Macrae, Bonts, Libba and Wallis all lift when the game needed to be won was very pleasing.
They pretty much took charge and dominated in the last.

Scorlibo
15-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Nice little reward for the Rat. Wouldn't it be great if Lachie Hunter and Jake Stringer could also get their names in the mix before the end of the year?

For those questioning Brent Harvey's kicking.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=des34T8yZLo

He's the best kick in the comp! Absolute champion IMO.

Happy Days
15-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Nice little reward for the Rat. Wouldn't it be great if Lachie Hunter and Jake Stringer could also get their names in the mix before the end of the year?

For those questioning Brent Harvey's kicking.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=des34T8yZLo

He's the best kick in the comp! Absolute champion IMO.

Harvey's a jet but still a dick. But I'm loathe to waste bandwidth going into depth.

Hrovat is proving to be so much better than advertised. His kicking is really, really good and his quickness is understated. Plus he hits the scoreboard; I can see him being really dangerous inside 50 if placed there for extended periods.

Basically he's shown enough to have complete confidence in his attributes to contribute in any position on the ground; a really handy player to have.

Ps the best kick in the comp is Ablett

Scorlibo
15-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Ps the best kick in the comp is Ablett

There's no doubt he's very neat, but I'll stick with the stats on this one. Boomer.

jeemak
15-07-2014, 03:49 PM
I would love this thread to turn into a quantitative versus qualitative evaluation debate. It would make my day!

Happy Days
15-07-2014, 03:56 PM
I would love this thread to turn into a quantitative versus qualitative evaluation debate. It would make my day!

Yeah sorry about that.

Hrovat's sick though. I'm still mad about that goal getting overturned against Essendon last year, just about the most hyped I've felt at a game. Made him a favourite 4 life.

LostDoggy
15-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Wasn't it Hrovat that lived on the same street as Boomer and went banging on his door to have a kick with him? Which resulted in Boomer being a mentor for the Rat.

Go_Dogs
15-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Hrovat is proving to be so much better than advertised. His kicking is really, really good and his quickness is understated. Plus he hits the scoreboard; I can see him being really dangerous inside 50 if placed there for extended periods.

Agree with that. One concern I had on him after his U/18's was his disposal, but on reflection that was probably more to do with him spending more time inside than on the outside.

He's still got some improvements to make, but he's shown he is going to be very effective for us for a long time.

Dancin' Douggy
15-07-2014, 10:09 PM
What I'm looking forward to is how SOLID he's gonna be when he matures. Same with Honeychurch. They are both gonna be kegs.

ledge
15-07-2014, 10:12 PM
And stringer is a beast too

Dancin' Douggy
15-07-2014, 10:17 PM
And stringer is a beast too
Megakeg.

bornadog
03-06-2015, 10:36 AM
I thought Hrovat played a pretty good game on the weekend and was involved in a number of scoring opportunities. I think he used his pace to advantage and delivered the ball nicely into the forward line.

One thing I am confused with, what position is he playing? Wing, half foward, midfield?

Where do we see him in the future?

Mofra
03-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Wasn't it Hrovat that lived on the same street as Boomer and went banging on his door to have a kick with him? Which resulted in Boomer being a mentor for the Rat.
Boomer trained with the Rat to help him out a few times, also had Lachie Hunter along for one session.
Boomer gets a bad wrap for some on field antics but seems like a genuine bloke off it

Ghost Dog
03-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Boomer trained with the Rat to help him out a few times, also had Lachie Hunter along for one session.
Boomer gets a bad wrap for some on field antics but seems like a genuine bloke off it

I met him once in Fed square. lovely bloke.

Ozza
03-06-2015, 11:50 AM
I see the Rat as playing more as a forward, but going 'inside' - into the midfield - for a portion of his time.

With Libba, Bonti, Wallis, Macrae and Dahlhaus shaping up to be our first choice mids - Hrovat to me is more a starting forward who can step in to the midfield on occasion for the longer term.

Played well on the weekend - and after somewhat of a stop/start pre-season and start to the season, he looks ready to build some good form. I'm predicting he'll have a really good run home and am expecting him to play really well after the bye.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2015, 12:58 PM
March of the smalls. Hrovat, Caleb, Dahlhaus. Tom Boyd might be struggling to get a goal!

Bulldog4life
03-06-2015, 01:55 PM
March of the smalls. Hrovat, Caleb, Dahlhaus. Tom Boyd might be struggling to get a goal!

And not forgetting the Honey man too.

stefoid
12-06-2015, 04:04 PM
I see the Rat as playing more as a forward, but going 'inside' - into the midfield - for a portion of his time.

With Libba, Bonti, Wallis, Macrae and Dahlhaus shaping up to be our first choice mids - Hrovat to me is more a starting forward who can step in to the midfield on occasion for the longer term.

Played well on the weekend - and after somewhat of a stop/start pre-season and start to the season, he looks ready to build some good form. I'm predicting he'll have a really good run home and am expecting him to play really well after the bye.

Can he take a mark or snap a goal though? Cos Dal and McLean certainly can.

westdog54
12-06-2015, 04:24 PM

I can actually second that. I work with one of Boomer's best mates. Totally different off the field.

1eyedog
13-06-2015, 01:17 AM

Boomer has time for anyone off the field and always with a smile too. I've seen him mingle with people a few times, appears very genuine.

Go_Dogs
13-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Where is Nathan Hrovat at, and is he a player who could come into trade calculations for us at the end of the season?

I like Hrovat, and think he still has a significant amount of improvement in his game that we haven't seen yet. I do have some concerns about where he fits in long term with us though, as:-

1. He has had some injury concerns and they don't appear to have totally vanished;
2. He faces increasing competition in the forward-midfielder area, with Dahl in front and the emergence of McLean, Dale, Daniel, Webb, and later perhaps Hamilton, whilst Hunter and Honeychurch are also after these spots;
3. He's not overly quick;
4. His skills, composure and decision making look great one moment and poor the next;
5. He possibly lacks the size to become more a midfield first player;
6. He doesn't hit the scoreboard enough as a forward (to date).

The reason I raise this is he is perhaps the one of these blokes with the most currency at the trade table. Hunter has had his name mentioned by some on here recently, and yes, he has some work to do, but at the moment he wouldn't have much currency. He's also showed some different abilities to Hrovat (albeit not recently) with his high marking and goal kicking ability. I'd be prepared to persist with Hunter if we're confident he's working hard and applying himself as required.

Are we confident Hrovat has a spot in our side long term? If so, where and ahead of who?

Whilst Hrovat may go on to have a great career at another club, is he the one we should consider trading given our depth in the area and that we could perhaps get something pretty decent in return?

Remi Moses
13-07-2015, 07:41 PM
I still think it's early doors in Nathan's career, but his decision making worries me .
He tends not to take the 1st or 2nd option, but the third and gets caught, and panics.

Maddog37
13-07-2015, 07:49 PM
I think he needs to be stronger and fitter but I like his skill set. I would be very cautious about trading him.

bulldogtragic
13-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Unless it's a late first rounder, very eary second or a player we really want then I wouldn't consider it. But we've got too many similar types so a few need to be traded while they can.

comrade
13-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Definitely a keeper for mine.

Can spread and kick off both feet. Is also a tough little bugger.

We're spoilt by kids like Macrae & Bonti who can come in and dominate from early on. Some players do take a couple of pre-seasons, especially when injuries occur.

Rat needs a good run at it and he will show his value.

Hunter on the other hand is one of the smalls I'd be looking to off load...

BulldogBelle
14-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Mitch Wallis.

Mantis
14-07-2015, 12:41 PM
I'm not sold on him yet, has some nice attributes, but still has a long way to go... Also not sure where he fits in.

We have a pletheroa of small/ medium sized forwards on our list and we won't be able to fit them all in.. Going to be interesting to see how we manage our list over the next 4 to 16 months.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-07-2015, 01:22 PM
I'm not sold on him yet, has some nice attributes, but still has a long way to go... Also not sure where he fits in.

We have a pletheroa of small/ medium sized forwards on our list and we won't be able to fit them all in.. Going to be interesting to see how we manage our list over the next 4 to 16 months.

That's how I see it too.

I expected him to be much more advanced than he currently is. He hasn't been poor but I thought he'd be a fairly consistent performer. His indecisiveness is one of his biggest flaws at the moment, but as mentioned a few times, we do have quite a few small/medium sized forwards.

I like Hrovat and want to keep him, but from a list management perspective I could understand the merit of shopping him around given the emergence of players like Daniel and McLean.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Mitch Wallis.

what about him?

Ozza
14-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Definitely a keeper for me.

I don't think its altogether great logic to just be looking at our 'Best 22' and saying 'where does he fit in?' - as it is not only very early in his career - but you also very rarely have all of that best 22 available.

I think he is a good footballer with plenty of upside once he gets some continuity in his footy. Has leadership qualities, and from everything we've seen and heard is a smart and positive person to have around the place.

Things can change pretty quickly - we may have a number of small mid/forwards now, but last year we had too many inside mids and now we are probably a fraction short of that type. In the pre-season we were concerned about tall defenders - and now we have Hamling, Roberts, Talia and Roughy all filling those roles at different times.

Prefer to keep the good footballers with a future, that have bought into what we're trying to do. And I think Hrovat is one of those.

bornadog
14-07-2015, 01:56 PM
but from a list management perspective I could understand the merit of shopping him around given the emergence of players like Daniel and McLean.

Doesn't make sense from a list management view for 2015, there are other players that should be looked at ahead of him. I would be looking at all the small players at the end of next year and see where we are at.

Our current issues are not the small types but rather the rucks and KPP in the backline.

lemmon
14-07-2015, 02:07 PM
I think a lot of his poor senior form has to do with where he's being played. Why has he been pigeon holed as a half forward who takes a turn on ball rather than a genuine midfielder? I believe I'm right in saying as a junior he was a genuine midfielder/wingman? I watched him pretty closely against Brisbane and in the first half he played exclusively off half forward and while he worked hard he was never able to get much separation or work into dangerous space. I'd much rather he was played as a full time mid where we can hide his lack of pace and he is able to win his own footy. His skill by foot offers a point of difference and I see no reason he can't provide a nice linking option

boydogs
14-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Our current issues are not the small types but rather the rucks and KPP in the backline.

If that's how you see it, would you put Hrovat up for trade to secure a KPB or ruck?

Through a best available draft strategy and some successful selections and development we have too many smalls, so do we look to offload one for something we need?

I'm not convinced we need a KPB or that Hrovat should be the one to go, but I think that is how we should be thinking

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Doesn't make sense from a list management view for 2015, there are other players that should be looked at ahead of him. I would be looking at all the small players at the end of next year and see where we are at.

We need to be careful of going too small. Teams like Hawthorn, Swans, WCE and Fremantle tend to recruit stronger bigger types.
Our recent recruitments of Daniel, McLean, Webb and Dale now adds to the likes of Hrovat Honeychurch and Hunter, which needs a rethink for the future. We still lack as you have indicated a quality key forward and ruck man which should be a priority going forward. Hrovat has struggled for form and consistency this year and needs to lift.

Mantis
14-07-2015, 02:39 PM
We need to be careful of going too small. Teams like Hawthorn, Swans, WCE and Fremantle tend to recruit stronger bigger types.
Our recent recruitments of Daniel, McLean, Webb and Dale now adds to the likes of Hrovat Honeychurch and Hunter, which needs a rethink for the future. We still lack as you have indicated a quality key forward and ruck man which should be a priority going forward. Hrovat has struggled for form and consistency this year and needs to lift.

The players you have mentioned are all under 20 years of age so lets re-visit their body shape when they are all around 22 or 23 and have fully-matured.

Hawthorn had 6 players in their side under 6 feet on Sunday so height isn't everything.

Agree we need a ruckman, but we recently signed one of the most promising young forwards in the land to a 7 year contract, doubt we will be looking for another forward just yet.. To me, a quick & skilful midfielder is at the top of our priority list.

bornadog
14-07-2015, 03:16 PM
The players you have mentioned are all under 20 years of age so lets re-visit their body shape when they are all around 22 or 23 and have fully-matured.

Hawthorn had 6 players in their side under 6 feet on Sunday so height isn't everything.

Agree we need a ruckman, but we recently signed one of the most promising young forwards in the land to a 7 year contract, doubt we will be looking for another forward just yet.. To me, a quick & skilful midfielder is at the top of our priority list.

I still think we need a big Key backman. Roughead didn't really work out as a backman and is more suited to a ruck role, or second ruck. We saw on Saturday that both Roberts( 196) and Talia (194) were too small for the likes of Lynch (199cm) and Dixon (200cm)

The Bulldogs Bite
14-07-2015, 04:56 PM

Yes, but to get a KPD, you need to cough up something of quality - somebody like Hrovat.

bornadog
14-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Yes, but to get a KPD, you need to cough up something of quality - somebody like Hrovat.

or just recruit and build on what you have.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-07-2015, 11:55 PM
or just recruit and build on what you have.

We need a mature age defender in the 21-26 y.o age bracket. Doesn't mean we can't still draft one, but we'll want somebody who can start immediately having an impact that can improve our list (and our premiership chances) from 2016.

Ozza
15-07-2015, 05:07 PM
I still think we need a big Key backman. Roughead didn't really work out as a backman and is more suited to a ruck role, or second ruck. We saw on Saturday that both Roberts( 196) and Talia (194) were too small for the likes of Lynch (199cm) and Dixon (200cm)

We must watch a different Roughead!

Greystache
15-07-2015, 05:14 PM
We must watch a different Roughead!

Agree. I don't get the constant suggestions Roughead has been a better ruckman than he was a defender, or that he's a natural forward being played out of position. In his AFL career so far he's been an average ruckman, a very poor forward, and a good defender.

For me he should be a defender who pinch hits in the ruck to give the primary ruckman a break. What we need is a primary ruckman.

Ozza
15-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Agree. I don't get the constant suggestions Roughead has been a better ruckman than he was a defender, or that he's a natural forward being played out of position. In his AFL career so far he's been an average ruckman, a very poor forward, and a good defender.

For me he should be a defender who pinch hits in the ruck to give the primary ruckman a break. What we need is a primary ruckman.

Agree. Apart from the GWS match, Roughead has had zero other good games in the ruck. He's certainly not even had a good half as a forward - whereas apart from when he was under a shoulder injury cloud in the second half of last year, he has been a good performer in defence.

Roughie is the perfect fit to play on the 200cm type forwards. It is not really his go to be on the Riewoldts or Pavlich - but now that Roberts is establishing himself in that position, Roughead will not have to play on unsuitable opponents when (and if) he returns to his defensive post.

I'm looking forward to Tom Campbell establishing himself as our No.1 ruck. He can't be far off an opportunity if the VFL match from the weekend is any indication. He's moving so much better now. And imagine having a ruckman that can take a mark, and know what he is doing when he pushes forward.

SlimPickens
15-07-2015, 05:52 PM

He could play the exact role Tregrove(? Spellling) plays at Port to great effect IMO. Our primary ruck situation is interesting and one I still hope Campbell can fill, otherwise the trade table is always an option but realistically the cupboard may be bare (maybe Leunenburger or Bellchambers).

SlimPickens
15-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Agree. Apart from the GWS match, Roughead has had zero other good games in the ruck. He's certainly not even had a good half as a forward - whereas apart from when he was under a shoulder injury cloud in the second half of last year, he has been a good performer in defence.

Roughie is the perfect fit to play on the 200cm type forwards. It is not really his go to be on the Riewoldts or Pavlich - but now that Roberts is establishing himself in that position, Roughead will not have to play on unsuitable opponents when (and if) he returns to his defensive post.

I'm looking forward to Tom Campbell establishing himself as our No.1 ruck. He can't be far off an opportunity if the VFL match from the weekend is any indication. He's moving so much better now. And imagine having a ruckman that can take a mark, and know what he is doing when he pushes forward.

Spot on Ozza.

Like Hrovat, don't won't trade him, think he'll still be a gun

F'scary
15-07-2015, 09:03 PM
I think we all need to remember that depth on the list is so important. The problem with Hrovat and a few others is that they may actually seek opportunities elsewhere if they feel they aren't getting enough games.

soupman
16-07-2015, 10:11 AM

This post exactly.

I think having him in defence solves a few problems, and we have already shown that he can play as our second ruckman from that position. By having him in dfence and with Boyd and/or Redpath forward it means that we can get away with playing just one pure ruckman instead of having one pretend to be a key forward like Roughead and Cordy have tried this year.

boydogs
16-07-2015, 02:55 PM
I think having him in defence solves a few problems, and we have already shown that he can play as our second ruckman from that position

It works well when he can follow their 2nd ruck around e.g. Tippett from Sydney

GVGjr
16-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Where is Nathan Hrovat at, and is he a player who could come into trade calculations for us at the end of the season?

I like Hrovat, and think he still has a significant amount of improvement in his game that we haven't seen yet. I do have some concerns about where he fits in long term with us though, as:-

1. He has had some injury concerns and they don't appear to have totally vanished;
2. He faces increasing competition in the forward-midfielder area, with Dahl in front and the emergence of McLean, Dale, Daniel, Webb, and later perhaps Hamilton, whilst Hunter and Honeychurch are also after these spots;
3. He's not overly quick;
4. His skills, composure and decision making look great one moment and poor the next;
5. He possibly lacks the size to become more a midfield first player;
6. He doesn't hit the scoreboard enough as a forward (to date).

The reason I raise this is he is perhaps the one of these blokes with the most currency at the trade table. Hunter has had his name mentioned by some on here recently, and yes, he has some work to do, but at the moment he wouldn't have much currency. He's also showed some different abilities to Hrovat (albeit not recently) with his high marking and goal kicking ability. I'd be prepared to persist with Hunter if we're confident he's working hard and applying himself as required.

Are we confident Hrovat has a spot in our side long term? If so, where and ahead of who?

Whilst Hrovat may go on to have a great career at another club, is he the one we should consider trading given our depth in the area and that we could perhaps get something pretty decent in return?

Outstanding analysis. I mentioned a few weeks ago that at the start of the season I thought Hrovat would get the benefit of any 50/50 selection decisions as Bevo would be looking towards Hrovat as a key development player this year. It hasn't worked out that way.

He's been asked to go back to Footscray twice and I'd imagine there is some flaw in his game that he hasn't been able to rectify to the coaches satisfaction.

He has a great character and attitude towards his football but he appears to be a way off on establishing himself as a senior player.
At the moment we have to just stick with him and hope that he improves.

Doc26
17-07-2015, 12:19 AM
Nathan too often seems to be over revving, frenetically trying to get to the end goal. Unlike some of his contemparies coming behind him in the likes of Webb, McLean and Dale he is struggling to find composure, whether it's through his constant rushing he too often is making bad choices.

He seems a good kid, eager to learn, and is well liked amongst the group.

Of course if a deal on our terms was to be presented then we should look at it as he would hold currency but preferably I'd like to keep him as there is a fair bit on offer IF we can crack what's under the hood.

jeemak
17-07-2015, 12:58 AM
The previous two posts touch on why I think Hrovat is a good two's player right now.

He doesn't like to keep things simple when he has the ball in traffic and it usually costs the side with a stoppage or a free kick against. The first safe option in that situation is usually the best for most players, and even the best sides in the competition have certain players that can play through traffic (as time stands still for them), balanced with players that can't and need to use the first option available to them.

As he matures he'll be able to play less safe, but right now he needs to keep things simple when he gets his chance in the one's.

Mantis
17-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Outstanding analysis. I mentioned a few weeks ago that at the start of the season I thought Hrovat would get the benefit of any 50/50 selection decisions as Bevo would be looking towards Hrovat as a key development player this year. It hasn't worked out that way.

He's been asked to go back to Footscray twice and I'd imagine there is some flaw in his game that he hasn't been able to rectify to the coaches satisfaction.

He has a great character and attitude towards his football but he appears to be a way off on establishing himself as a senior player.
At the moment we have to just stick with him and hope that he improves.

But we aren't or don't have to.. There are plenty of options for the role he is being asked to play.

GVGjr
17-07-2015, 10:24 AM
But we aren't or don't have to.. There are plenty of options for the role he is being asked to play.
and the challenge for Hrovat is to be the best of those options. He needs to work on improving and we need to be patient.

Happy Days
24-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Bump.

At what point is Nathan entitled to start getting pissed off about seeing guys clearly inferior to him getting games? I know they play different positions but there is no universe where Daniel Pearce/current day Roarke Smith and Hrovat are even comparable.

His VFL form has been solid to good and doesn't seem to be doing anything egregiously wrong in terms of direction (not that any of us would know). Where do you guys think his head is at?

Remi Moses
24-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Needs to play this week

bornadog
24-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Agreed, has earned the right in the VFL as GVGjr would say.

G-Mo77
24-08-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm certain he'll play this week. He was a clear BOG for us on Friday and a major contributor the week before.