PDA

View Full Version : East Meets West Day

AndrewP6
27-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Found this (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogs/news/2012-12-21/east-meets-west-in-the-new-year) on the club website. Always a good day, looks like they're changing it up, to keep the kids engaged.

Eastdog
27-12-2012, 11:21 PM
This is good for Bulldogs supporters in the Eastern suburbs like myself. I might come along lll have to see if I'm free.

LostDoggy
28-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for posting Andrew, it's a good day and not as crowded as the Family Day at the Western Oval. Might bump into you again. :)

always right
16-01-2013, 09:49 AM
I notice that the website now says this will start at 11.00am and go to 1.00pm after previously advising that it would be a 10.00am start. Can anyone categorically confirm what the start time is?

LostDoggy
16-01-2013, 11:01 AM
I notice that the website now says this will start at 11.00am and go to 1.00pm after previously advising that it would be a 10.00am start. Can anyone categorically confirm what the start time is?

The email I got the other day said 11am, even though I too thought it started at 10am originally. I just phoned the club & they said 11am.

always right
16-01-2013, 11:54 AM
The email I got the other day said 11am, even though I too thought it started at 10am originally. I just phoned the club & they said 11am.

Cyberdoggie
16-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Hmm, that has thrown a small spanner in the works!

Never the less i will be there as always, this time with wife and child and parents tagging along.

Should be 3.5 members added to the tally.

OfficialBulldogs
16-01-2013, 01:05 PM
The time was initially listed as 10am but has since changed to 11am.
Hope to see you all there.
Go Dogs!

AndrewP6
16-01-2013, 02:17 PM

I'll be getting there at 9. :D

Eastdog
18-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm free. So I'll be coming for the 2nd year in a row. I like the 11am start.

Bulldog4life
18-01-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm free. So I'll be coming for the 2nd year in a row. I like the 11am start.

Is that you Mr. Humphries?

Eastdog
18-01-2013, 06:38 PM

No it's not Mr. Humphries.

Bulldog4life
18-01-2013, 08:11 PM

Sorry Eastdog I should have inserted a :D. It was a phrase used by a actor in a television series before your time.

Eastdog
18-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Sorry Eastdog I should have inserted a :D. It was a phrase used by a actor in a television series before your time.

I'm only 23 so I wouldn't have known ;)

Twodogs
19-01-2013, 12:05 PM

I'm only 23 so I wouldn't have known ;)

The show (Are You Being Served) gets repeated so often my 11 yo daughter knows what "I'm freeee" means and who Mr Humphries is.:D

AndrewP6
19-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Good turn out again. Kids clinic was well received, soon to hear from the coach and new players. Said hello to Doc26 and Nuggety Back Pocket. Kudos to the East West club. Also, had a great burger :D

Eastdog
19-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Very good morning. Great to see a lot of Bulldogs supporters coming out especially from the Eastern suburbs. Got a photo with Luke Dahlhaus :) Thank you to the East West Club on all the work they do and to make this event possible very year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-01-2013, 03:56 PM
This was a great event for the Club and full marks to the East-West Club on their superb organization. All the new draftees were introduced by BMcC which was a highlight. Good to hear that Morris and Cooney are in full training and are both looking good. The Coach once again was impressive in addressing the enthusiastic group of members/supporters in attendance.

soupman
19-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Was good fun as usual.

Spoke to a few players:
-Lower said he'll play inside midfield
-Stevens said he'll play a mixture of middle, wing and half forward
-Young said he'll play half back
-Murphy said he was looking forward to getting on the highlights reel up forward
-wallis said it had been a really challenging pre season with an emphasis on fitness
-Hrovat and Prudden were both very enthusiastic and great to talk to, Prudden in particular was very fun to talk to. I really hope he is good.

Unfortunately only half the players came, Jong said that the other half will do it next year. It was a good day though. I have done more info but I have to go.

Doc26
19-01-2013, 04:05 PM
A great event today and credit to all involved at the East - West Club, to the Club administration and football department. My young girl is still talking about getting so close and interactive to so many of the players. Loved the rolling football clinic put on for the kids and supported so well by the playing group. Ooh and agree with Andrew, great burger and at only $2.

Bulldog4life
19-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Great day. Spoke to Matty Boyd who was excited about the year ahead. Said the young players were stepping up and training well. Said Tutt was the most natural runner on the list and if he has a good run with injury should be one to watch this year. Mitch Wallis also spoke enthusiastically about the exciting "next decade" with this young group.

Dale Morris said watching last year was hard for him and he has got his fingers cossed this year that all will be ok injury wise.

Spoke to Macca who said amongst other things that a lot of experience players were missing towards the end of last year and that Lakey wasn't trying that hard.:eek:

Eastdog
19-01-2013, 04:38 PM
I wonder if there is a North meets West day for Dogs fans who live in the Northern suburbs.

angelopetraglia
19-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Super day out. Well done to the East-West club and for the players for all their time. The kids clinic was a great idea. My two had lots of fun doing the clinic and then getting some autographs. Really good to hear the Coach talking about the pre-season and introduce the new recruits.

AndrewP6
19-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Was interested to see Simon Dalrymple there but dressed in his civvies. Would've thought any Club employee in attendance would've been in club colours:confused: Was a bit awkward when McCartney was introducing the new players, and he even said it should've been Simon up there, but didn't know where he was.

Good to see Lindsay Gilbee there too.

always right
19-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Enjoyable morning once again but although the clinic was popular with the kids, I would much prefer that they change it next year and have a short training session, a half hour clinic and then the speeches and photos/autographs. I think for supporters who live in th east it is a great opportunity to see the blokes in their gear doing some basic drills as we don't get to attend training at the Whitten Oval. There's something about seeing the players as a group fit and buffed after a tough pre-season....you get to see who who of the young blokes has managed to beef up......sorry if this all sounds a little gay.

Great to see Cooney and Morris looking fit and ready to go. Was interested to talk to Macca and hear his thoughts on the year. Particularly pleased to hear him repeat his intention to play Tom Williams up forward this year to take some pressure off Jones. Surprised to hear that hebelieves McRae will be playing seniors early in the season....apparently he's already put on 5kg. McCartney is a huge fan of him it seems. He also stated that Brett Goodes will be playing round one.....Goodes certainly looks a picture of fitness.

Lot of players not there today.....seems they are going to rotate them for events like this. I was still kept busy getting photos of my daughter and her friend with all the players who attended....although she was disappointed that Big Will wasn't there to sign the 27 on her jumper.

jeemak
19-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Enjoyable morning once again but although the clinic was popular with the kids, I would much prefer that they change it next year and have a short training session, a half hour clinic and then the speeches and photos/autographs. I think for supporters who live in th east it is a great opportunity to see the blokes in their gear doing some basic drills as we don't get to attend training at the Whitten Oval. There's something about seeing the players as a group fit and buffed after a tough pre-season....you get to see who who of the young blokes has managed to beef up......sorry if this all sounds a little gay.

Great to see Cooney and Morris looking fit and ready to go. Was interested to talk to Macca and hear his thoughts on the year. Particularly pleased to hear him repeat his intention to play Tom Williams up forward this year to take some pressure off Jones. Surprised to hear that hebelieves McRae will be playing seniors early in the season....apparently he's already put on 5kg. McCartney is a huge fan of him it seems. He also stated that Brett Goodes will be playing round one.....Goodes certainly looks a picture of fitness.

Lot of players not there today.....seems they are going to rotate them for events like this. I was still kept busy getting photos of my daughter and her friend with all the players who attended....although she was disappointed that Big Will wasn't there to sign the 27 on her jumper.

It sounds very gay, but that's still cool. :p

Interesing about McRae, and very good to hear he's hit the gym hard and is giving himself a great opportunity to get into his senior career nice and early.

Well done to Goodes. What an effort to get up to standard so quickly.

AndrewP6
19-01-2013, 09:03 PM

I actually thought Goodes looked a bit heavy! I will concede I didn't stare at him (that'd be awkward!), and I've never seen him in person before.

always right
19-01-2013, 09:24 PM
I actually thought Goodes looked a bit heavy! I will concede I didn't stare at him (that'd be awkward!), and I've never seen him in person before.

He was always a bit pudgy when he played in the VFL. He's lost a fair bit of weight.

Thought Roughy looked noticeably stronger in the legs. Greenwood has really beefed up and Higgins looked very lean. Morris looked fantastic and Cooney looked like as fit as I can recall.

Eastdog
19-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Regarding Cooney and Morris its great seeing them back and hopefully fingers crossed there are no more setbacks for them. Was Peter Gordon there today? I'm guessing he wasn't as he would of spoke if he was.

always right
19-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Regarding Cooney and Morris its great seeing them back and hopefully fingers crossed there are no more setbacks for them. Was Peter Gordon there today? I'm guessing he wasn't as he would of spoke if he was.

No he wasn't.

bornadog
19-01-2013, 10:32 PM

I may be wrong but personally taking Goodes is a wasted pick

Bulldog4life
19-01-2013, 10:37 PM

Time will tell. Been training the house down Macca said when I was talking to him.

AndrewP6
19-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Time will tell. Been training the house down Macca said when I was talking to him.

They say that about all players, especially in January.

Eastdog
19-01-2013, 11:23 PM
It was pleasing to hear Macca saying today we would like to get our first win in the NAB cup as it is a very good hit out before the real stuff and we want that winning feeling again. Be great see the new recruits in action.

The Cowshed
19-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Surely Goodes can't play round 1 as he is a rookie?? Maybe the coach meant NAB Cup? Good luck to him but from a supporters point of view, he's a wasted pick anyway....

Eastdog
19-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Surely Goodes can't play round 1 as he is a rookie?? Maybe the coach meant NAB Cup? Good luck to him but from a supporters point of view, he's a wasted pick anyway....

He is 28. I wasn't too sure about him either as he hasn't played at AFL level and only from what I hear Williamstown in the VFL who I don't really watch that much.

The Cowshed
19-01-2013, 11:37 PM
It seems Goodes has earnt a spot as a rookie based on his ability to set a good example on the training track and off-field guidance.
Personally, I would have preferred we went for some youngsters. I would not have renewed Alex Greenwood or Mark Austin as rookies. This would have freed up 3 rookie positions for other youngsters and we may have scored a decent player out of it.

always right
19-01-2013, 11:48 PM

I thought the same.....but have since learned we have one place on the main list still vacant and Goodes is likely to be the rookie elevated.

As for whether he is a wasted pick...only time will tell. I can understand the logic of his selection however. We are now a very young side. We have just traded our best key defender. Our next best defender is coming back after 12 months off and is no certainty to be successful. The coach has declared that two other regular defenders, Tom Williams and Bob Murphy will be playing forward this season. Is it therefore understandable that the coach would see value in a player who has played a lot of relatively high level football, has a strong body, has good disposal skills and is a good teacher of young players. I'm comfortable with him being drafted considering where our team is at this point in time.

Cyberdoggie
19-01-2013, 11:49 PM
He was always a bit pudgy when he played in the VFL. He's lost a fair bit of weight.

Thought Roughy looked noticeably stronger in the legs. Greenwood has really beefed up and Higgins looked very lean. Morris looked fantastic and Cooney looked like as fit as I can recall.

I thought they all looked very lean. Goodes has lost a lot of weight compared to his VFL figure last year.

I definitely think the players are looking much leaner and less bulky than previous years, and especially last year. Not sure if it's just the WB or all clubs shifting this way.

Cooney is certainly looking fitter, as he should as he had done next to nothing this time last year. Not worried about his skinny legs, I think that's just his genetics.

Ayce Cordy is the one I think hasn't changed much. Still has very little shape to his frame.

Hotdog60
19-01-2013, 11:53 PM
I thought the same.....but have since learned we have one place on the main list still vacant and Goodes is likely to be the rookie elevated.

As for whether he is a wasted pick...only time will tell. I can understand the logic of his selection however. We are now a very young side. We have just traded our best key defender. Our next best defender is coming back after 12 months off and is no certainty to be successful. The coach has declared that two other regular defenders, Tom Williams and Bob Murphy will be playing forward this season. Is it therefore understandable that the coach would see value in a player who has played a lot of relatively high level football, has a strong body, has good disposal skills and is a good teacher of young players. I'm comfortable with him being drafted considering where our team is at this point in time.

I agree, until our youngsters get to that 50- 60 game mark they need a bit of leadership down back and Goodes can offer that and he get to tell his brother your not the only one to make it at AFL level at the family BBQ.

jeemak
19-01-2013, 11:57 PM

I can see where BAD is coming from, as there's probably scope to develop a younger player into the role Goodes is likely to play and sacrifice short term performance.

What you've posted is certainly a good counter argument to it however, and I think that after our deplorable performances in the second half of last year which did have an affect on attendances the club needs to be mindful of playing a side that isn't competitive for the sake of pure development.

jeemak
20-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I thought they all looked very lean. Goodes has lost a lot of weight compared to his VFL figure last year.

I definitely think the players are looking much leaner and less bulky than previous years, and especially last year. Not sure if it's just the WB or all clubs shifting this way.

Cooney is certainly looking fitter, as he should as he had done next to nothing this time last year. Not worried about his skinny legs, I think that's just his genetics.

Ayce Cordy is the one I think hasn't changed much. Still has very little shape to his frame.

The mantra throughout the last preseason from Macca was all about giving the playing group big arses and strong legs. Basically strength was key, and repeat effort endurance and aerobic capacity was set aside. Everything from the club this year has been about running harder.

Up close and personal there's not too many AFL players that are monsters anymore. They look like they are on TV, because umpires are tiny and all of the players are relatively speaking the same size as eachother, with on or two outliers in each team.

Probably since around 2007-2008 AFL players have gotten leaner and smaller in the upper body, with a focus on building up core strength and power through the legs.

GVGjr
20-01-2013, 12:16 AM

There is one spot on the main list open and I think it might be a battle between Goodes and Austin for it.

GVGjr
20-01-2013, 12:22 AM

I'd rather have Goodes on a rookie spot with the potential of being upgraded than having say Skinner still on the list.
I can't see how Goodes as a rookie can be seen as a waste.

LostDoggy
20-01-2013, 12:46 AM

I think you are wrong, BAD. :)
That Goodes hasn't made his way on to a list before now is one of those inexplicable things that happen in footy (Podsiadly, Barlow et al). Now that he has the opportunity, he will show that he deserves it. The man is an animal, very skilful, but hard as nails, and he will not give up; he is the archetypal 'Macca' footballer. He will play round one, if fit, and Aussie will have to wait again.

KT31
20-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Agree, even if he has a stella season Goodes will not be around for our next dip.
Still can't make sense of the letting Lake go because we are developing our young backline then picking Goodes up.
Over old ground I know but it could have been a couple of years spent developing a Pup.
Although GVR does have a good point re Goodes instead of Skinner.:)

GVGjr
20-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Agree, even if you has a stella season he will not be around for our next dip.
Still can't make sense of the letting Lake go because we are developing our young backline then picking Goodes up.
Over old ground I know but it could have been a couple of years spent developing a Pup.

I think the club is looking deeper than that and is viewing what is required to field a State league side. Even if Goodes doesn't make it he would be invaluable for Footscray in 2014

KT31
20-01-2013, 10:51 AM
I think the club is looking deeper than that and is viewing what is required to field a State league side. Even if Goodes doesn't make it he would be invaluable for Footscray in 2014

Agree Goodes will play a part in our Reserve's but I sure we had to offer him a spot on the list to get this done.
He already had a position at the club and with this and another season at Willy it should have been enough to have him on board.

GVGjr
20-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Agree Goodes will play a part in our Reserve's but I sure we had to offer him a spot on the list to get this done.
He already had a position at the club and with this and another season at Willy it should have been enough to have him on board.

Perhaps Williamstown wasn't prepared to offer him a 12 month contract seeing that they are committing to something similar.

What is you issue with Goodes being a rookie? Does it really impact the playing list?

always right
20-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Agree, even if he has a stella season Goodes will not be around for our next dip.
Although GVR does have a good point re Goodes instead of Skinner.:)

The difference between Lake and Goodes is that Goodes desperately wants to play for us. It's all ver well developing a pup over the next couple of years but you need senior players on the field to do that. With such a young back line now that Murph and Tommy are ear-marked for the forward line, who did you have in mind to perform this role.....particularly if the Morris comeback hits any hurdles?

always right
20-01-2013, 11:13 AM
There is one spot on the main list open and I think it might be a battle between Goodes and Austin for it.

Austin has broken his arm.

always right
20-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Back to the East West day........great to see Lin Jong's family there. His father was wearing the bulldogs guernsey with the number 46 on the back and was getting the various players to sign it. Could not have been a prouder father. Really hope Lin makes it......he certainly has the physique. Most powerfully built person of an Asian background I've ever seen.....fantastic athletic frame.

Go_Dogs
20-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Reall hope Lin makes it......he certainly has the physique.

Reports I've seen suggest he may have shot up a few cms too, any truth to that?

Thanks all for the reports, much appreciated.

always right
20-01-2013, 11:43 AM

He may have.....but he was already quite tall so I didn't notice. Talking to Macca the focus is on building his tank and using his physical presence more effectively. Lin is naturally reserved so he need to develop that bit of mongrel. He's going to be a powerful unit. I think his greatest weakness is his kicking but I know the club is working with him on that aspect.

Macca actually made a point that they have really focused on kicking in the pre season and that the blustery Whitten Oval makes that a challenge.

dogman
20-01-2013, 11:53 AM

i heard he is now 193cm

KT31
20-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Perhaps Williamstown wasn't prepared to offer him a 12 month contract seeing that they are committing to something similar.

What is you issue with Goodes being a rookie? Does it really impact the playing list?

I suppose my issue is the time and development we invest in him, only for a couple seasons and then thats it his carrer is over.
I really hope he does have a succesful couple of years and plays some crackers for us.
It is not an issue with him, Its just one on my bugbears.
I have the same issue with adult trade apprenticeships, spend years training them and a small percentage pass or stick with the job.

Bulldog4life
20-01-2013, 12:00 PM

I have seen Goodesy in person before and I thought he looked trim and fit. The coach actually said as much when he was addressing the crowd.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-01-2013, 12:08 PM
If Jong has grown to around 193cms that would be a huge size for a midfielder of his athletic ability.

From what I have seen of Jong, his kicking certainly needs drastic work and with that he'll need to improve his decision making, but I think he has a really good chance of making the grade.

He's shown a bit of an ability to find the ball, which is a little surprising given he's relatively raw/new to the game. He's also good in a contest, his hands seem solid under the packs, and we know he's got great courage. There's a lot to work with -- it'll be interesting to watch his progression in 2013.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a regular in 2014, if his improvement continues at the rate it has been.

GVGjr
20-01-2013, 12:27 PM
I suppose my issue is the time and development we invest in him, only for a couple seasons and then thats it his carrer is over.

I see it differently. He is a rookie and he is there to cover injuries which I think he can do. He will have to earn his spot rather than being gifted games. It will certainly be a positive to have him around our younger guys.

Even if he plays 10 games we will get a far better return than we did for Skinner or Mulligan.

I think there is no risk of having him on the list.

GVGjr
20-01-2013, 12:29 PM
If Jong has grown to around 193cms that would be a huge size for a midfielder of his athletic ability.

From what I have seen of Jong, his kicking certainly needs drastic work and with that he'll need to improve his decision making, but I think he has a really good chance of making the grade.

It will actually make it harder to find him a spot in the midfield if he is that tall epsecially if his kicking isn't great.

Maybe they have to start grooming him as a defender.

Eastdog
20-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Back to the East West day........great to see Lin Jong's family there. His father was wearing the bulldogs guernsey with the number 46 on the back and was getting the various players to sign it. Could not have been a prouder father. Really hope Lin makes it......he certainly has the physique. Most powerfully built person of an Asian background I've ever seen.....fantastic athletic frame.

I was wondering who that was too always right. Thanks for clearing that up. Really looking forward to seeing more of Lin Jong in season 2013. He really showed glimpses of his ability in those few games he played last season.

Dazza
20-01-2013, 02:25 PM
I pretty much see Lin Jong as an Easton Wood clone. He might be able to find the ball a little better than Wood though.

AndrewP6
20-01-2013, 02:32 PM

I didn't notice that really.

Go_Dogs
20-01-2013, 02:40 PM
It will actually make it harder to find him a spot in the midfield if he is that tall epsecially if his kicking isn't great.

Maybe they have to start grooming him as a defender.

I think that might be on the money if he has grown that much. Could end up a strong, athletic KP which would be great. Given his lack of footballing background starting in defence would seem the go. Very interested in his progress this year.

LostDoggy
20-01-2013, 03:14 PM
If Goodes was able to beat all comers to get a guernsey on our list, then I'm sure he deserves his position.

We have enough young players already. Did we really need another one given that they will take time to adjust or not adjust to the rigours of a very long season, they will be up and down in intensity as they tire, suffer confidence issues, become mentally fatigued etc etc.

Do we think that Geelong made a mistake taking Pods?

I can only see that Goodes is on the list because he was judged to be good enough.

LongWait
20-01-2013, 05:24 PM
If Goodes gets the final spot on our main list (and it seems to me that he will) that speaks volumes about how little progress our younger half-backs have made.

Howard and Veszpremi have been hugely disappointing and, if by season's end, both of these first round draft picks let a 28 year old rookie hold then out of the best 22, they need to be moved on.

Doc26
20-01-2013, 05:29 PM
I don't see the problem with the Goodes 'rookie' selection and I'm hoping it does turn out to be an inspired mature age selection.

Not unlike Nick Lower's selection, Brett will bring a harder, mature body to the Group, bringing support to the kids and in their development when his opportunity presents. Like Lower, he would seem to bring a good quality and standard to be emulated in terms of hardness and determination and finally comes at little financial cost or risk given the abundance of youth we now have on our list. As has been mentioned, with Murphy, even Williams likely to spend time up forward this coming season his choice would seem reasonable given the senior experience retirements of Gilbee and Hargrave, some doubt on Dale's return and the loss of Lake.

Based on the playing group's reaction and secondary, the crowd in attendance's hearty cheer on being introduced to the list by Macca yesterday I would say Brett has already been fully embraced.

Having chatted with Brett briefly yesterday he's loving the opportunity made available to him with his selection, with the resources available to him and now being able to dedicate his time fully to getting his body in tip top shape rather than being limited in a part time capacity from his VFL days.

bornadog
20-01-2013, 09:15 PM
If Goodes gets the final spot on our main list (and it seems to me that he will) that speaks volumes about how little progress our younger half-backs have made.

Howard and Veszpremi have been hugely disappointing and, if by season's end, both of these first round draft picks let a 28 year old rookie hold then out of the best 22, they need to be moved on.

Then why move Murphy forward?

The Bulldogs Bite
20-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Then why move Murphy forward?

Have you seen our forward line in operation? :D

BornInDroopSt'54
20-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I don't see the problem with the Goodes 'rookie' selection and I'm hoping it does turn out to be an inspired mature age selection.

Not unlike Nick Lower's selection, Brett will bring a harder, mature body to the Group, bringing support to the kids and in their development when his opportunity presents. Like Lower, he would seem to bring a good quality and standard to be emulated in terms of hardness and determination and finally comes at little financial cost or risk given the abundance of youth we now have on our list. As has been mentioned, with Murphy, even Williams likely to spend time up forward this coming season his choice would seem reasonable given the senior experience retirements of Gilbee and Hargrave, some doubt on Dale's return and the loss of Lake.

Based on the playing group's reaction and secondary, the crowd in attendance's hearty cheer on being introduced to the list by Macca yesterday I would say Brett has already been fully embraced.

Having chatted with Brett briefly yesterday he's loving the opportunity made available to him with his selection, with the resources available to him and now being able to dedicate his time fully to getting his body in tip top shape rather than being limited in a part time capacity from his VFL days.

Spot on. Goodes is a great selection. He brings maturity, desire. wisdom, understanding of the game and hardness. This in a team of youngsters is critical. It would be foolish to underestimate his value.

G-Mo77
21-01-2013, 10:33 AM

Hard to argue LongWait. Both guys you mentioned are in their final year if they don't perform, it's as simple as that.

LongWait
21-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Hard to argue LongWait. Both guys you mentioned are in their final year if they don't perform, it's as simple as that.

And for a number of reasons, including the reason you have outlined, I think that the Goodes selection is inspired. I hope and expect he will surprise a few with how well he plays. You know he'll be hungry - that's for sure.

Ghost Dog
21-01-2013, 02:49 PM
And for a number of reasons, including the reason you have outlined, I think that the Goodes selection is inspired. I hope and expect he will surprise a few with how well he plays. You know he'll be hungry - that's for sure.

Agree Longwait. Going to be great. He knows it's now or never to show how he can contribute. Can't wait to see him play V Sydney and lay a big tackle on his brother!

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-01-2013, 03:34 PM
If Goodes was able to beat all comers to get a guernsey on our list, then I'm sure he deserves his position.

We have enough young players already. Did we really need another one given that they will take time to adjust or not adjust to the rigours of a very long season, they will be up and down in intensity as they tire, suffer confidence issues, become mentally fatigued etc etc.

Do we think that Geelong made a mistake taking Pods?

I can only see that Goodes is on the list because he was judged to be good enough.

I still grimace over Pods who was overlooked by Rodney Eade whilst playing with Werribee.Stevens,Lower and Young who have all tasted League football together with Goodes provide greater options and depth to the midfield and defence putting extra pressure on others who have lacked consistency to make us more successful.Our list needs to be better and physically stronger if we are to become a final 8 proposition.

bornadog
21-01-2013, 03:36 PM

Can you please explain how the selection of Goodes is inspired? He will be 29 years old next month and yet to be proven at this level?

w3design
21-01-2013, 05:22 PM
I have watched a fair bit of Goodsy playing over the years, and could easily see him slotting into a leadership role among our young/inexperienced back-line. If he can get his fitness up to the levels required, I see no reason why he might not play 2-3 useful seasons.

The other thought that had crossed my mind, and I'm not sure if this is either the right time or place to raise this question, but could he be being groomed for an on-field leadership role with the 2014+ Footscray VFL team?

Who else from our present senior players might be considered for captaincy and on-field coaching roles when the new squad is developed? What about guys like Crossy and Gia etc as their senior time comes to its close?

LongWait
23-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Can you please explain how the selection of Goodes is inspired? He will be 29 years old next month and yet to be proven at this level?

Rather than hope and pray for miraculous development from one of the (so far) unimpressive young small/medium defenders, we now have Goodes, Young, possibly Lower and Stevens adding pressure for a spot. I think that we will get two or three servicable years from Goodes, which gives us the opportunity to draft kids to replace Howard, Veszpremi and maybe Wood if they can't deliver. Goodes also provides coverage for Morris and allows Murphy to play up forward.

Goodes should be ready to go and you may not agree, but I've seen Goodes play several times and I think he can make the transition to the AFL (and so too must our Football Department.)

Bulldog Revolution
23-01-2013, 10:10 PM
I see it differently. He is a rookie and he is there to cover injuries which I think he can do. He will have to earn his spot rather than being gifted games. It will certainly be a positive to have him around our younger guys.

Even if he plays 10 games we will get a far better return than we did for Skinner or Mulligan.

I think there is no risk of having him on the list.

This is it for me, and shows how stupid some of our recruiting has been

Goodes was, Goodes is, and Goodes will be far better than Skinner, Mulligan, Stack and many others etc ever were - he always has been. I think hes a good footballer, nice kick, tough and a very direct player who sets up play by foot.

I think he's just a bloke thats been a bit unlucky and probably should have got the opportunity a bit earlier - i.e when he was with Nth Ballarat.

Pleased to hear that Macrae is settling in well. Physically he requires a lot of development but its great that Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat and Prudden seem to be making every post a winner, following on from Clay Smith whose attitude and application I love.

Ghost Dog
23-01-2013, 10:54 PM
This is it for me, and shows how stupid some of our recruiting has been

Goodes was, Goodes is, and Goodes will be far better than Skinner, Mulligan, Stack and many others etc ever were - he always has been. I think hes a good footballer, nice kick, tough and a very direct player who sets up play by foot.

I think he's just a bloke thats been a bit unlucky and probably should have got the opportunity a bit earlier - i.e when he was with Nth Ballarat.

Pleased to hear that Macrae is settling in well. Physically he requires a lot of development but its great that Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat and Prudden seem to be making every post a winner, following on from Clay Smith whose attitude and application I love.

Hope to meet Brett at the family day. Before he becomes a cult player :)

bornadog
24-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Rather than hope and pray for miraculous development from one of the (so far) unimpressive young small/medium defenders, we now have Goodes, Young, possibly Lower and Stevens adding pressure for a spot. I think that we will get two or three servicable years from Goodes, which gives us the opportunity to draft kids to replace Howard, Veszpremi and maybe Wood if they can't deliver. Goodes also provides coverage for Morris and allows Murphy to play up forward.

Goodes should be ready to go and you may not agree, but I've seen Goodes play several times and I think he can make the transition to the AFL (and so too must our Football Department.)

Well we certainly disagree on this one. No matter what you or gvgjr, bulldogrevolution or others say, recruiting a 29 year old is not an inspired or smart move, in my opinion.

Good luck to Brett hope he makes it and he will be wearing the bulldogs colours so I will be barracking for him.

GVGjr
24-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Well we certainly disagree on this one. No matter what you or gvgjr, bulldogrevolution or others say, recruiting a 29 year old is not an inspired or smart move, in my opinion.

Good luck to Brett hope he makes it and he will be wearing the bulldogs colours so I will be barracking for him.

While I understand that the Goodes selection is not the normal thing and I do understand why you are challenging it I don't quite grasp why it's such an issue for you.
You seem to be very focused on what is basically the last spot on the playing list but I can't recall that you were you as passionate about the age of a player when Hahn was being rookied? I can see the difference in circumstances between the two though.

By the way, did I ever actually say that the Goodes selection was an inspired one?

We also have a few other things to consider, especially with a VFL side to develop in the near future, so I can at least see some merit in why we were looking at Goodes.

I also don't doubt that you wish Goodes all the best but if I had to fill the last spot on the list on a choice between the likes of Skinner, Mulligan or Goodes I'd be more than comfortable with the latter.

KT31
24-01-2013, 01:50 AM

Agree whole heartedly with your post BAD.
Sure we could both argue he will not be in the leadership group at our next opening and not see it is contradictory to what has been spruiked.
He is now a Doggie and I wish him all the best in the Red, White and Blue.

always right
24-01-2013, 08:56 AM

You've asked others on this board to explain why they think the Goodes selection is the right move, yet you haven't explained why you are so vehemently against it. Can you tell us why the arguments in favour of Goode's selection don't stack up rather than just declare that no matter what others say, you disagree?

bornadog
24-01-2013, 10:06 AM
While I understand that the Goodes selection is not the normal thing and I do understand why you are challenging it I don't quite grasp why it's such an issue for you.

Not an issue for me, just commenting and discussing why he is on our list. [/QUOTE]

You seem to be very focused on what is basically the last spot on the playing list but I can't recall that you were you as passionate about the age of a player when Hahn was being rookied? I can see the difference in circumstances between the two though.

Hahn was a proven AFL player and gave us great service and was kept on as a back up. Goodes is unknown at this level. Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

By the way, did I ever actually say that the Goodes selection was an inspired one? .

No you didn't that was Longwait.

I also don't doubt that you wish Goodes all the best but if I had to fill the last spot on the list on a choice between the likes of Skinner, Mulligan or Goodes I'd be more than comfortable with the latter.

But the choice was Goodes or another young player that we could develop.

He is now a Doggie and I wish him all the best in the Red, White and Blue.

me too

You've asked others on this board to explain why they think the Goodes selection is the right move, yet you haven't explained why you are so vehemently against it. Can you tell us why the arguments in favour of Goode's selection don't stack up rather than just declare that no matter what others say, you disagree?

I have repeatedly said I don't get putting on the list a 29 year old untried AFL level player. I understand GVGjr's reasoning that perhaps we are looking at a role with the VFL side for next year, but if that's true, I don't agree with that either.

If he stays on the rookie list for the year, I can live with that, but if he is promoted ahead of say Jong then I don't get it at all.

Go_Dogs
24-01-2013, 11:43 AM
If he stays on the rookie list for the year, I can live with that, but if he is promoted ahead of say Jong then I don't get it at all.

Thankfully we get 2 upgrades this year, so by mid season both can be playing. Goodes is ready to go, so I expect we'll see him first if he does well in NAB Cup. I'm relatively happy for Jong to continue his development at VFL level and all going well being upgraded mid season.

Like you I would've preferred one of our last two picks being a kid but I certainly see the merits of adding another senior body and dedicated trainer.