PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Veszpremi

Go_Dogs
30-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Entering his 3rd year with the club, he's a very interesting player and the last of our 3 trade targets from 2010 still on the list. He hasn't been able to nail down a consistent spot in the side and this must be his last opportunity to do so.

So far we've trialled him forward and back with mixed results. His endurance is a concern and for someone with much lauded foot skills he has also been quite inconsistent in that area for mine.

So where do we play him in 2013? Is he capable of establishing himself in the side?

Rocco Jones
30-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I just can't see him making it anywhere. Reminds me of skilful one trick pony from era gone by. These guys just don't make it in modern game unless they have some other raw attribute to go with or hard work.

I say it a lot here but would we be interested in him if he was a delisted free agent or a state league player available in the draft? I know I wouldn't. He is just the type of play you are sure is going to be delisted in a year's time.

Ghost Dog
30-12-2012, 01:07 PM
The good thing about last season was it was pretty clear to see who stood up and didn't need to be dragged along by team mates. You can pick 5 or 6 blokes and say, yep, they will fight to the bitter end.
Brian Lake wasn't one of them. Sherman wasn't.
I saw most of our games on TV last season. So I don't want to judge too harshly. What's Vespers' mojo like when our back is to the wall? Is one of the reasons he is being kept around, to fill the age bracket we need and provide a bit of leadership?

GVGjr
30-12-2012, 01:39 PM
He can play but he just makes bad errors and turns the ball over. I think Dickson has taken the spot Veszpremi is best suited to.

Remi Moses
30-12-2012, 02:03 PM
In big trouble for mine.
Veszpremi has good skills but lacks fitness and work rate.
Personally think the Everitt Vez deal will end nil all, with both delisted at seasons end.

Rocco Jones
30-12-2012, 02:05 PM
In big trouble for mine.
Personally think the Everitt Vez deal will end nil all, with both delisted at seasons end.

Near certainty.

LostDoggy
30-12-2012, 03:37 PM
So where do we play him in 2013?

@ Williamstown. ;)

bornadog
30-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Vez does have the potential but yet to show it.

Needs to train hard and get his fitness base up to AFL level. His main concerns are, doesn't like the hard contest and as GVGjr mentioned, turns over the ball easily particularly with silly handpasses. His best asset is his long kicking, he can certainly thump a ball.

Position wise, he will be a backup for the HFF role.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I like Vez but he's coming from a long way back now.

His lack of endurance is well documented and is strange considering he's been in the system for a while, he doesn't attack the contest hard enough and his disposal is hit and miss. I'm fairly confident he could tidy up his disposal (if he's moved back to his natural position) but it's hard to see him improving in the first two areas.

Simply needs to be played forward at both AFL/VFL level though. It's his only chance.

MrMahatma
30-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Really want him to come good.

I doubt it'll happen though. I think he has upside still and has shown glimpses, but without a doubt it's his last crack at it this year.

Cyberdoggie
30-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Too slow, no way near fit enough for the role he has to play, not a hard footballer.

Two of those attributes i can't see him improving in much, but if he got himself ultra fit like Boyd or Cross and was able to run all day without blowing up all the time then he could still play a role, as he has ability and usually decent kicking skills.

jeemak
30-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Simply needs to get fitter. He will continue to break down and be inconsistent if he doesn't, and while he's a skillful player he's not so sublimely talented that he can get away with not working as hard as everyone else, or making the peronal sacrifices they do.

His best football will be played as a forward, and a good showing fitness and workrate wise this year coupled with a declining Giansiracusa for mine remain his only chances of staying on the list and making something of his career.

dogman
31-12-2012, 01:02 AM
He is the fittest he has ever been and matching with the rest at training.

Lets hope it shows on the ground. I'm sure he will get his chance in nab cup.

Ghost Dog
31-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Wish he had as many footy trophies as he has fly fishing trophies!!

Bulldog4life
31-12-2012, 12:02 PM
He is the fittest he has ever been and matching with the rest at training.

Lets hope it shows on the ground. I'm sure he will get his chance in nab cup.

Thanks for that info dogman. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

bulldogtragic
31-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Last chance saloon for Vez. Hope, but not confident, he can turn things around. Fingers crossed.

ratsmac
01-01-2013, 02:23 PM
List clogger!

BornInDroopSt'54
01-01-2013, 02:29 PM
In big trouble for mine.

It shows to go you that top ten draft picks can be failures, a total eclipse of the heart. We have been there done that too often. We are due to hit the target with our pics hence the emphasis on character as much as talent. Really it's still the case despite being stated by AFL, even when it was VFL, coaches and others that psychology or the mental side of things is more important than the physical talent. I do not believe that Jack Nicklaus was even close to the most talented golf player but he had mental skills and thrived and improved with the importance of the moment. This is the true sport skill and I hope that Vespremi finds it.

KT31
01-01-2013, 02:30 PM
List clogger!

Agree.

LostDoggy
01-01-2013, 03:35 PM
His age and body size is an advantage in comparison to our overall list. Great to hear he's matching it. I like his run and dare out of the back, but torches the footy way to much coming out. Almost a poor mans Dickson, I'd like him Forward for his best chance to make it.

Dancin' Douggy
01-01-2013, 07:27 PM
He needs to do a Jobe Watson.
A make or break effort to get fitter and stronger and more committed.

Otherwise............ another talent goes down the gurgler.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-01-2013, 07:28 PM
He can play but he just makes bad errors and turns the ball over. I think Dickson has taken the spot Veszpremi is best suited to.

Vez was part of a series of poor draft picks which included DJ Moles and Sherman. Hopefully that time has now past. On what he showed in the past two years Vez is extremely lucky to have survived.

The Underdog
02-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Vez was part of a series of poor draft picks which included DJ Moles and Sherman. Hopefully that time has now past. On what he showed in the past two years Vez is extremely lucky to have survived.

He was swapped directly for Everitt. Turns out it was probably a nil all draw but was a punt worth taking at the time

bulldogtragic
02-01-2013, 08:33 PM
He was swapped directly for Everitt. Turns out it was probably a nil all draw but was a punt worth taking at the time
I agree it's a nil all draw, but Andreajs has more potential I think. But the comparison is using bad fruit.

Ghost Dog
02-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Vez has played more senior games. So we are ahead by a nose. Get behind him lads. VESPA!

F'scary
02-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Gia is on restricted training at the moment & perhaps this is the last season.

Dahlhaus will not be playing deep in the forward line any longer - didn't do much of that last year.

Bob Murphy has signed again for 2 more years, it seems as a forward (good - although I enjoyed his AA year at HBF) - 2014 could be a transition year for a replacement for him.

Therefore, there could be an opening for Veszpremi as the other smaller forward with Dickson. This is what he is about in my opinion.

He just has to earn the opportunities and take his chances when they come.

He should be played FP or HFF at Willi this year in preparation.

Hotdog60
02-01-2013, 11:37 PM
It shows to go you that top ten draft picks can be failures, a total eclipse of the heart. We have been there done that too often. We are due to hit the target with our pics hence the emphasis on character as much as talent. Really it's still the case despite being stated by AFL, even when it was VFL, coaches and others that psychology or the mental side of things is more important than the physical talent. I do not believe that Jack Nicklaus was even close to the most talented golf player but he had mental skills and thrived and improved with the importance of the moment. This is the true sport skill and I hope that Vespremi finds it.

Jack was skillful, he was one of biggest of hitters at the time and could shape the ball left or right.
with 18 majors in a career makes him no slouch.

Sorry, I'm a Golden Bear fan boy.:D

boydogs
03-01-2013, 02:31 AM
Needs to take a leaf out of Jack Ziebell's book, went to Utah during his suspension for more altitude training to improve his fitness. Hard at it as you can get.

Remi Moses
03-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Gia is on restricted training at the moment & perhaps this is the last season.

Dahlhaus will not be playing deep in the forward line any longer - didn't do much of that last year.

Bob Murphy has signed again for 2 more years, it seems as a forward (good - although I enjoyed his AA year at HBF) - 2014 could be a transition year for a replacement for him.

Therefore, there could be an opening for Veszpremi as the other smaller forward with Dickson. This is what he is about in my opinion.

He just has to earn the opportunities and take his chances when they come.

He should be played FP or HFF at Willi this year in preparation.
He's played everywhere and he just ain't up to it.
Not fit enough and hasn't got a great work ethic.
Worst handballer I've ever seen.

Pedro Sanchez
03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Reckon Vez is a tad too lazy and panics in clutch situations. He's got good skills and looks the player - but in my opinion wont cut it...

Greystache
03-01-2013, 02:03 PM
I think he's going to struggle to survive the cut next season. I don't think he's lazy, I just don't think he has the natural aerobic capacity to be an endurance athlete. I'd like to know his vo2 max score, I see him working hard at training, but even then he's always battling. His propensity to panic with the ball under pressure, particularly by hand is another major concern, as is his reluctance to win contested possessions given his aerobic limitations. I'd like to see him persisted with as a forward as I see it as his only real chance to make the grade.

Sedat
03-01-2013, 02:39 PM
I think he's going to struggle to survive the cut next season. I don't think he's lazy, I just don't think he has the natural aerobic capacity to be an endurance athlete. I'd like to know his vo2 max score, I see him working hard at training, but even then he's always battling. His propensity to panic with the ball under pressure, particularly by hand is another major concern, as is his reluctance to win contested possessions given his aerobic limitations. I'd like to see him persisted with as a forward as I see it as his only real chance to make the grade.
I reckon he panicks just as much when isolated one-out defensively. So he can't defend one-on-one, he can't cover the ground with great speed, he can't run all day, he can't win his own ball consistently, and he can't make good decisions by hand or foot when under pressure - he simply has too many flaws that aren't conjucive to the demands of the modern game. He's a goner at season's end, and should have been gone this season IMO.

Greystache
03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
I reckon he panicks just as much when isolated one-out defensively. So he can't defend one-on-one, he can't cover the ground with great speed, he can't run all day, he can't win his own ball consistently, and he can't make good decisions by hand or foot when under pressure - he simply has too many flaws that aren't conjucive to the demands of the modern game. He's a goner at season's end, and should have been gone this season IMO.

I can see the reason why he wasn't delisted but I still don't hold out much hope for him. Gia looks on his last legs, Higgins is always an unknown quantity, Hunter is basically a mini-draft player we were allowed to draft, and while Dickson looks a lock to be a gun is still less than 20 games into an AFL career. There's some risk in our midsized forward options and given our lists age profile Vez is decent insurance, but I don't see him figuring prominently in our future planning given his limitations.

Ghost Dog
03-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Maybe only the question mark over Dale Morris that kept him in the side?

bornadog
03-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Maybe only the question mark over Dale Morris that kept him in the side?

I doubt that very much. Dale Morris :confused:

Vez is more your small type and Dale plays tall?

Ghost Dog
03-01-2013, 06:29 PM
I doubt that very much. Dale Morris :confused:

Vez is more your small type and Dale plays tall?

Never said one was meant to replace the other. Referring more to the fact we lack players in that age bracket down back.

bornadog
03-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Never said one was meant to replace the other. Referring more to the fact we lack players in that age bracket down back.

Sorry I have misread. Dale's age bracket?

Ghost Dog
03-01-2013, 07:34 PM
With plenty of senior experience.

westbulldog
06-01-2013, 11:33 PM
I hope he makes a good contribution this year but can't see his worth based on form thus far.

Eastdog
06-01-2013, 11:35 PM
I hope he makes a good contribution this year but can't see his worth based on form thus far.

Do you reckon we should of not traded away Everitt? Was there more potential with him?

westbulldog
06-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Don't have an opinion on that, what do you think ?

Eastdog
06-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Don't have an opinion on that, what do you think ?

It probably was 1:1 with the trade. Everitt fell out of favour with Eade and left I'd say probably cause of that.

bornadog
07-01-2013, 04:26 PM
It probably was 1:1 with the trade. Everitt fell out of favour with Eade and left I'd say probably cause of that.

Not true.

Everitt's attitude at training and his lack of intensity in games was the reason he was traded out.

G-Mo77
07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Neither player seem to have the tools to make it at AFL level. Talent can only get you so far and I doubt either player will be on an AFL list next year.

Eastdog
07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Not true.

Everitt's attitude at training and his lack of intensity in games was the reason he was traded out.

How come though BAD Rocket didn't keep him on though and give him another chance.

Greystache
07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Not true.

Everitt requested a trade, so his relationship with the coaching staff played a role.

Whether he was wanted or not is another issue, but it wasn't simply a matter of us thinking his attitude was poor so we moved him on.

GVGjr
07-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Not true.

While I agree with you to me its sort of true.
Eade keen to play Everitt providing he showed intensity on the training track which he didn't do. Eade then didn't play him.

I'd read that as Everitt being out of favor (through his own faults)

Thinking back, we had a recruiter who liked the athletic laconic types and a coach who wouldn't cop players that lacked intensity.

Greystache
07-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Thinking back, we had a recruiter who liked the athletic laconic types and a coach who wouldn't cop players that lacked intensity.

It didn't make any sense to me either. That's why I like that McCartney is having a direct hand in the types of player we recruit, he may or may not be right with his ideas on how to be a successful team but at least he's willing to live and die by his actions. In fact he's doing in all areas within the football department.

LostDoggy
07-01-2013, 08:40 PM
It didn't make any sense to me either. That's why I like that McCartney is having a direct hand in the types of player we recruit, he may or may not be right with his ideas on how to be a successful team but at least he's willing to live and die by his actions. In fact he's doing in all areas within the football department.

Bingo! couldn't agree more.

LostDoggy
16-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Easy way to look at it is by examining the list at this early stage:

10-11 months out from delisting there are players like Gia & Cross who look as though they may retire at seasons end

Rookies such as Greenwood and Redpath who are yet to play this season.

Last year's batch of primary and upgrade picks all look as though they have ability in their careers given another seaosn or two of development.

Tom Young is my only question of known draft picks this year due to his body size - but that's just a stretch at picking over this years drafting

One of Markovic and Austin need to establish themselves this year with Lake gone, Morris a question mark, Talia still learning and Williams injury-prone (if focus is down back)

My players at the bottom end of the scale on the primary list are:
- Gia (Ret)
- Cross (Ret)
- Markovic
- Howard
- Young
- Tutt
- Vez

If you take the retirements out of the equation Vez is easily bottom five as the range of players recruited in the last two drafts can be developed through his position range.

Mofra
16-01-2013, 02:57 PM
How come though BAD Rocket didn't keep him on though and give him another chance.
A chance to do what?

In his final year he played a good game at Willy, they interviewed him on the TV and asked him his preferred position was. He couldn't name one.

He doesn't have a position on the field and being the 15th most talented player on the list makes no difference if you're the 8th best player in any one position.

LostDoggy
16-01-2013, 03:17 PM
- Gia (Ret)
- Cross (Ret)
- Markovic
- Howard
- Young
- Tutt
- Vez

Cross? Agree with Gia, and most of the others are in the crosshairs (Young?), but Cross!? Surely he's got another couple of useful years, at least?

always right
16-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Cross? Agree with Gia, and most of the others are in the crosshairs (Young?), but Cross!? Surely he's got another couple of useful years, at least?

I think the concern with Crossy is you lose your pace as you get older.;)

Remi Moses
16-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Really Everitt was given heaps of chances and just doesn't want it enough.
You need more than ability in the current climate, and he's been in and out the Sydney side as well.

Dazza
16-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Surprised a few people see Howard in the gun. I think he's been ok.

LostDoggy
17-01-2013, 01:33 PM
I think the concern with Crossy is you lose your pace as you get older.;)

With a massive amount of midfield/negating types recruited in the last couple of years how long will players like Crossy with pace/kicking distance/wear and tear last ?

We're talking almost twelve months down the track of course, but in reality we'd hope to see improvement from Wallis, Libba, Jong, Smith etc, and unfortunately a decline from those on the wrong side of their football careers as above.

How long do you persist with a player of Cross's undoubted effort, but limited positional ability, especially at his age and with a myriad of players to mould in his role if needed? He's not going to spend his twilight down forward like Gia, or Murphy is expected to.

We have Picken as a multi-positional tagger, Addison developing as a shut down defender.

That's why i can't see Crossey making it past the end of this season, the legend that he is :(

bornadog
17-01-2013, 01:39 PM
With a massive amount of midfield/negating types recruited in the last couple of years how long will players like Crossy with pace/kicking distance/wear and tear last ?

We're talking almost twelve months down the track of course, but in reality we'd hope to see improvement from Wallis, Libba, Jong, Smith etc, and unfortunately a decline from those on the wrong side of their football careers as above.

How long do you persist with a player of Cross's undoubted effort, but limited positional ability, especially at his age and with a myriad of players to mould in his role if needed? He's not going to spend his twilight down forward like Gia, or Murphy is expected to.

We have Picken as a multi-positional tagger, Addison developing as a shut down defender.

That's why i can't see Crossey making it past the end of this season, the legend that he is :(

I can't see Addison making it past 2013 either.

always right
17-01-2013, 02:13 PM

I thought Addison made strong strides as a forward last year rather than a shut down defender.

I would never underestimate Cross. Whilst everything you say about him is correct the younger heirs to his position will need to demand it from him. You just know with him he will fight to keep his spot as long as possible. I think he brings more to the team that just his "undoubted effort". His ability to cover the ground when everyone else is flagging, his ability to drop back and help out in defence, his overhead marking and his willingness to get over in support of his teammates shouldn't be overlooked....not forgetting his incredible courage.

I would even argue that his disposal last year improved immeasurably and there was far less kicking backwards than I saw in previous seasons. Whilst he doesn't punish sides with his disposal I think he has become quite efficient within his limitations.

I haven't written him off yet. With most players it's their pace and explosiveness that tends to fall away at the end of their career. These are not Cross's strengths anyway so you could argue he is likely to be around longer than most.

w3design
17-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I thought Addison made strong strides as a forward last year rather than a shut down defender.

I would never underestimate Cross. Whilst everything you say about him is correct the younger heirs to his position will need to demand it from him. You just know with him he will fight to keep his spot as long as possible. I think he brings more to the team that just his "undoubted effort". His ability to cover the ground when everyone else is flagging, his ability to drop back and help out in defence, his overhead marking and his willingness to get over in support of his teammates shouldn't be overlooked....not forgetting his incredible courage.

I would even argue that his disposal last year improved immeasurably and there was far less kicking backwards than I saw in previous seasons. Whilst he doesn't punish sides with his disposal I think he has become quite efficient within his limitations.

I haven't written him off yet. With most players it's their pace and explosiveness that tends to fall away at the end of their career. These are not Cross's strengths anyway so you could argue he is likely to be around longer than most.

100% A R Well put.

LostDoggy
04-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Have to say, best of luck Vez, but AFL level isn't for you.

-----------------------

I can still be damaging: Veszpremi
Nick Bowen October 4, 2013 6:32 AM

PATRICK Veszpremi is hopeful of getting a third AFL chance, confident he now has the maturity to deliver on his undoubted talent.

Veszpremi was delisted by his second club, the Western Bulldogs, last month after playing just one game in 2013.

It left 2007's No.11 draft pick facing the possibility that his AFL career might be over after six seasons and 23 games.

It's a prospect that would have seemed scarcely believable when as a Sydney Swan he kicked four goals in just his fourth game, against the Brisbane Lions, in round 22, 2008.

Veszpremi, 24, told AFL.com.au he believed he could still be a damaging forward at AFL level, having successfully addressed previous weaknesses this year.

"This year I thought I improved in a lot of areas. My endurance I improved that massively, I improved my kicking efficiency around the ground, I improved my goalkicking and my tackling," Veszpremi said.

"I still believe I've got plenty to give. I didn't really get that much opportunity this year, which was really disappointing, but I've moved on.

"Playing as a forward I think I can really give something to another team, just those forward smarts. I still believe that I'm a damaging player, so hopefully another club can see something in me."

Veszpremi says 2013 was a frustrating year as his strong form with the Bulldogs' VFL affiliate Williamstown went largely unrecognised.

He sensed his senior opportunities would be limited when he was overlooked for all of the Western Bulldogs' NAB Cup games despite a pre-season when he "ticked all the boxes".

Veszpremi was recalled for the Bulldogs' round five clash against Geelong, but was dropped after a quiet game and never got another chance.

"It's frustrating when you're playing good footy, but not getting recognised in terms of being in the mix for selection," Veszpremi said.

"At the end of the day, I'm not blaming anyone for anything. That's footy I suppose, that's the industry that we're in."

Veszpremi has already begun training by himself to ensure the fitness gains he made this year are not lost if another club throws him a lifeline, most likely in November's Gillette Delisted Free Agency periods.

Despite moving home to Victoria after three years with the Swans, Veszpremi says he would be willing to join a non-Victorian club given the right opportunity.

The former Northern Knight says he was "pretty immature" when he moved to the Swans, but the decision to return home at the end of 2010 was the right one at the time.

"I was really homesick at the Swans and just really wanted to get back home to my family and friends," Veszpremi said.

"If I had my time over again, I'd make the same decision because I felt so much better mentally when I did get home.

"But now I'd be more than happy to move interstate. I'm more mature now, it would be much easier to move away from home," he said.

always right
04-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Not a hope in hell of being drafted but good luck to him.

KT31
04-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Basically saying he have finally matured after being shown the door twice, a lot of players don't get a first chance and he has had two.
"At the end of the day, I'm not blaming anyone for anything. That's footy I suppose, that's the industry that we're in."
To me this statement means he is blaming all bar himself.
Can't see him getting a third but wish him luck.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Hard up for a story...

Cyberdoggie
04-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I think Patrick will have to play in the VFL and try and have a good season there next year.

Just doesn't work hard enough defensively and some poor decision making under pressure in that Geelong game sealed his fate.

Templeton31
04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Yeh I read that article and thought he was clutching at straws. must be almost no chance of being picked up.

Bulldog Joe
04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Basically saying he have finally matured after being shown the door twice, a lot of players don't get a first chance and he has had two.
To me this statement means he is blaming all bar himself.
Can't see him getting a third but wish him luck.

Exactly how I read it as well.

I actually sat next to him at a function when he first arrived from Sydney and he claimed then that he had been denied opportuinity at Sydney in the same way he is claiming that again.

Vez needs to accept that he is the problem and find another occupation.

Rocco Jones
04-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Exactly how I read it as well.

I actually sat next to him at a function when he first arrived from Sydney and he claimed then that he had been denied opportuinity at Sydney in the same way he is claiming that again.

Vez needs to accept that he is the problem and find another occupation.

I got that feeling about Vez when reading The Draft by Emma Quayle. He was one of the featured players and IMO came across as having a victim complex. One thing to be like that at 17 or 18 but at 24...

Thing is he has nice skills but his deficiencies mean there is a very small margin for error attitude wise.

comrade
04-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Pretty hard to play at the highest level when you blow up tying your shoe laces.

I've seen him huffing and puffing within the first 30 seconds of a VFL game. His tank is non-existent.

LostDoggy
04-10-2013, 05:00 PM
No hard feelings towards him, it did appear he worked harder than ever before in the pre-season, finding good early season fitness and midfield form but by mid season Peter German accused him of feeling sorry for himself during a spray. He finished the year playing purely as a forward, so endurance issues may have re-surfaced.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2013, 05:33 PM
He's a really nice guy, but he sounds deluded in that article.

LostDoggy
04-10-2013, 05:43 PM
He's a really nice guy, but he sounds deluded in that article.

Trying to sell himself to potential suitors isn't he?
Ever been on the other end of a job interview? People sound like deluded twats when trying to sell themselves.

jeemak
04-10-2013, 09:06 PM
I got that feeling about Vez when reading The Draft by Emma Quayle. He was one of the featured players and IMO came across as having a victim complex. One thing to be like that at 17 or 18 but at 24...

Thing is he has nice skills but his deficiencies mean there is a very small margin for error attitude wise.

Yeah, I had no hang ups and no tendencies towards self-delusion when I reached the ripe ol' age of 24!

He may well have a victim complex, he may well have an issue with articulating his feelings properly. I agree though, after spending three years each at two AFL clubs with precisely the same outcome you'd think this time the penny would need to drop for him. Suppose it's likely to be too late though.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-10-2013, 11:44 PM
We have had a poor record in the selection of borderline players from other clubs which includes DJ Moles Sherman Lower and Vesz in recent times. Compare these with premiership players this year with Hawthorn in Hale Gibson Burgoyne Gunston and Lake.The targeting of Crameri is hopefully a step in the right direction towards building a list that is productive in our attempts to become a premiership contender.

jeemak
05-10-2013, 01:41 AM
We have had a poor record in the selection of borderline players from other clubs which includes DJ Moles Sherman Lower and Vesz in recent times. Compare these with premiership players this year with Hawthorn in Hale Gibson Burgoyne Gunston and Lake.The targeting of Crameri is hopefully a step in the right direction towards building a list that is productive in our attempts to become a premiership contender.

Stevens and Young have been pretty good gets though.

We should never compare our second hand recruiting to a team like Hawthorn's. The difference in list stage and appropriate strategy are miles out. We nearly got there in 2008-2010, and I think we're minimising the damage of not doing so well right now.

comrade
05-10-2013, 08:48 AM

None of those Hawks players were borderline/fringe types. The only one who compares from our list is Sherman which I agree, was an unmitigated disaster and probably our worst example of list management in the last 5 years.

F'scary
05-10-2013, 08:49 PM
"November's Gillette Delisted Free Agency periods."

Well, with any luck Vesz will escape with a close shave.

LostDoggy
15-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Losing a fly to catch a trout

By Adam Baldwin Nov 15, 2013

Every AFL journey is different and there is no doubt the Patrick Veszpremi story has its own unique twists and turns. First things first, Veszpremi’s name was up in lights well before it was called at Pick 11 in the 2011 National Draft. He was one of five players whose final year of junior football was documented by journalist Emma Quayle and published in her best selling book, The Draft. The other subjects of that story were Trent Cotchin, Ben McEvoy, Cyril Rioli and Brad Ebert.

The aforementioned have all gone on to be elite players in the AFL, Veszpremi might not have, but his story is still one worth telling. It highlights the brutality of the football industry but also of the benefits one can achieve even if they don’t, like most won’t, “make it” in the AFL.

The highs were making his debut and kicking four goals against Brisbane, for which he earned two Brownlow votes, in his first season. The lows were fluctuations in form, homesickness, lack of opportunity and a constant battle with fitness.

At the end of the 2013 season the 24-year-old finds himself club-less, but at peace. He still loves the game and hopes he will get another chance, but if his AFL journey has come to an end, he rests comfortably knowing he gave it his best and is a better person for the experience.

While his enjoyment for the game wained in the tough times, his love for fly fishing is a constant and something to transport his mind and body into his happy place, a release he believes every AFL footballer needs.

http://aflplayers.com.au/article/losing-a-fly-to-catch-a-trout/#.UoVcYPlHJuI

The Bulldogs Bite
15-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for sharing. Worth watching the video clip on that site too.

I wonder where he'll play next year? Best of luck to Vez, very humble, but just lacked the endurance and probably the mental power to overcome that. Certainly had/has talent.

bornadog
15-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks for sharing. Worth watching the video clip on that site too.

I wonder where he'll play next year? Best of luck to Vez, very humble, but just lacked the endurance and probably the mental power to overcome that. Certainly had/has talent.

katandra:D