PDA

View Full Version : Ask the president

always right
02-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Just thought that with Peter Gordon joining this forum it would make sense to start a particular thread where we can ask questions of our new president. Obviously I think it makes sense to have a thread that Peter can come to without having to trawl through the others.

Delete this mods if you think it's a dumb idea. It might result in a deluge of questions and I'm not sure Peter wants to feel obliged to continually respond. Perhaps he can make a commitment to come on the board to answer questions once a week. Just an idea.

The name of the thread is also a bit mundane. Any suggestions welcome.......how about "Throw us a bone prez"?

My first question to Peter relates to our new improved website. Everyone has been impressed by the quality and frequency of the videos. It's made the off season that much more interesting. Can you share with us what the club has actually done to develop this important part of their member communication? How many staff are devoted to it? I read somewhere that we have a third party looking after it...is that right?

boydogs
02-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Maybe a general Q&A thread first as other posters may be able to answer some questions. Then the best of the unanswered ones can be put to Peter?

KT31
02-01-2013, 01:37 PM
I did think it would be a good idea to start with, then I thought once the season is under way it could become an attack on Peter and the club.
The only way it could work is if Peter agrees and the Mods monitor the posts strickly.
For now I think its great to have Peter aboard and would exspect him be treated just like any other poster.
Be gentle Mantis.:D

bornadog
02-01-2013, 06:25 PM
I did think it would be a good idea to start with, then I thought once the season is under way it could become an attack on Peter and the club.

That depends if we are winning or losing:D

Ghost Dog
03-01-2013, 02:02 AM
I'd rather Peter was one the lads, and laddetts.

LostDoggy
07-01-2013, 03:23 PM
I'd rather Peter was one the lads, and laddetts.

Agreed. I've got no idea who Mjp is which means I'm more comfortable debating than I suspect if I did :) I'd personally rather not know who Peter posts as.

Mantis
07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Agreed. I've got no idea who Mjp is which means I'm more comfortable debating than I suspect if I did :) I'd personally rather not know who Peter posts as.

That will be harder than you think.

(Refer to the New Members thread)

Eastdog
07-01-2013, 03:36 PM

True Mantis. Peter's username is Peter Gordon.

The Underdog
07-01-2013, 04:08 PM
True Mantis. Peter's username is Peter Gordon.

I thought Peter Gordon was David Smorgon's username. Not sure what Peter Gordon's username is but as far as I know Suz 32 is Julia Gillard, The Coon Dog is Jose Romero, Hose B.Romero is Tony Liberatore and Chops was Jason Akermanis (or at least they both finished their careers the same way) ...:)

Eastdog
07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
I thought Peter Gordon was David Smorgon's username. Not sure what Peter Gordon's username is but as far as I know Suz 32 is Julia Gillard, The Coon Dog is Jose Romero, Hose B.Romero is Tony Liberatore and Chops was Jason Akermanis (or at least they both finished their careers the same way) ...:)

Peter made a new account.

bornadog
07-01-2013, 04:17 PM

Arghh those were the days:D

LostDoggy
07-01-2013, 05:08 PM

:D

On a serious note I'd like to know if Peter plans to be personally involved in contract negotiations and if he see's this as part of the president's role.

The Coon Dog
07-01-2013, 11:30 PM
:D

On a serious note I'd like to know if Peter plans to be personally involved in contract negotiations and if he see's this as part of the president's role.

Depends whether we're trying to contract Brad Hardie. ;)

LostDoggy
08-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Huge news that Peter is involved in the forum, I hope we remember he has a huge job to do and don't saturate him with pm's and questions, hopefully he can just soak in some balanced member sentiment on his own terms.

LostDoggy
08-01-2013, 12:42 AM
So begins the latest Gordon era!

strebla
08-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Depends whether we're trying to contract Brad Hardie. ;)

Yes I think that one may be best left alone Coon Dog :rolleyes:

Rocco Jones
08-01-2013, 11:15 PM

Almost as elaborate as the Clark Kent/Superman disguises.

LostDoggy
09-01-2013, 11:10 AM

Damn, my cover is blown. :p

ledge
09-01-2013, 02:27 PM
I would like to ask him his expectations for the club on and off the field or what he thinks a pass mark would be.

EasternWest
09-01-2013, 03:20 PM

I've met Suz. I can vouch for the fact that she is indeed Julia Gillard.

hujsh
09-01-2013, 03:35 PM
I would like to ask him his expectations for the club on and off the field or what he thinks a pass mark would be.

After 2011 I think we should back away from presidents setting any on field pass marks.

Eastdog
09-01-2013, 03:45 PM
I would ask Peter how the debt reduction program is going?

Greystache
09-01-2013, 04:43 PM
I don't necessarily want to blow people's cover but I can confirm Sedat is James Fantasia and Mantis is Nathan Eagleton :D

Eastdog
09-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Seems we have a lot of well known people on WOOF :D Not Really

bornadog
09-01-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't necessarily want to blow people's cover but I can confirm Sedat is James Fantasia and Mantis is Nathan Eagleton :D

Gold:D

The Underdog
09-01-2013, 05:44 PM

Who'd have ever thought 2 years later we'd field a team that desperately needed a Nathan Eagleton????

boydogs
09-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Who'd have ever thought 2 years later we'd field a team that desperately needed a Nathan Eagleton????

Jason Tutt?

Ghost Dog
09-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Jason Tutt?

As in, runs past the contest but does have a raking kick?

LostDoggy
09-01-2013, 08:43 PM
And the real James Cuming is?

ledge
09-01-2013, 08:54 PM
I would like to know what's happening at edge water

Eastdog
09-01-2013, 09:02 PM
I would like to know what's happening at edge water

At the East meets West Day last year ledge Simon Garlick said Edgewater will be opening this year I think not 100% sure.

boydogs
09-01-2013, 09:23 PM

That's Eagleton to a T.

EasternWest
09-01-2013, 09:25 PM

Chops.

Greystache
09-01-2013, 09:31 PM

I'm afraid that one is confidential, but some people at AFL House may or may not refer to him as chief... :D

AndrewP6
09-01-2013, 09:38 PM

I've met Suz 32, and I've met Julia. But never at the same time. Intriguing....

soupman
09-01-2013, 11:25 PM
I've met Suz 32, and I've met Julia. But never at the same time. Intriguing....

But I heard Suz 32 wears glasses. Julia however does not. Clearly they cannot be the same person.

AndrewP6
10-01-2013, 12:40 AM
But I heard Suz 32 wears glasses. Julia however does not. Clearly they cannot be the same person.

The glasses are probably just for show, to confuse people. It's working too.

ledge
10-01-2013, 06:46 AM
The glasses are probably just for show, to confuse people. It's working too.

Hirum to fearless fly?

Cyberdoggie
10-01-2013, 01:45 PM

That can go anywhere? :p

Ghost Dog
10-01-2013, 02:04 PM
That can go anywhere? :p

Tutt is similar to Eagle in the sense he seems to be growing into the forum whipping boy!!

Max469
10-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Tutt is similar to Eagle in the sense he seems to be growing into the forum whipping boy!!

thought that was Gia :(

LostDoggy
10-01-2013, 07:31 PM

Its his time this year. He'll step up. We need his run so I'm pinning my hopes on him and I've really loved flashes of what he's done to date.

boydogs
10-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Its his time this year. He'll step up. We need his run so I'm pinning my hopes on him and I've really loved flashes of what he's done to date.

Both Howard & Tutt need to deliver this year.

jeemak
11-01-2013, 02:46 AM

Come on mate, this is completely over the top.

Tutt is by no means a whipping boy in any respect when it comes to this board. If you'd have said Howard then fair enough, but Tutt?

jeemak
11-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Both Howard & Tutt need to deliver this year.

Agreed they each need to start showing consistent form this year.

Howard is clearly rated by the coaching staff, and I can see why. His best is about as good as any other developing player we have on our list. He lets himself down however, with poor positioning and inept defending. He needs to improve on those weaknesses.

His attack on the ball is very good though, and he also has an ability to take a hit and have that secondary to disposing of the football by hand. His foot skills will show themselves to be elite, with confidence. He is under more scrutiny than most because of his draft position. He played a few games last year that should have received more credit than they did, where he was one of only two or three players in the team that could genuinely hold his head up.

Tutt needs to get himself extremely fit and in a position where he can take the rigours of AFL football. If he does that, he'll be a more than competent transition player. If he doesn't get on the park however, he'll be off the list pretty quickly.

Ghost Dog
11-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Come on mate, this is completely over the top.

Tutt is by no means a whipping boy in any respect when it comes to this board. If you'd have said Howard then fair enough, but Tutt?

The fact he is growing into becoming the forum whipping boy is over the top??
Growing, as in, starting to become? Not sure it is over the top.... I could go into the system and drag out all the negative nellies on Tutt, but couldn't be ar-sed.

The Coon Dog
11-01-2013, 09:03 AM
How are half of the posts in this thread relevant to the topic?

Ghost Dog
11-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Agreed!

bornadog
11-01-2013, 10:23 AM
How are half of the posts in this thread relevant to the topic?

TCD we need these icons to be added to the list.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/offtopic_zpsff900547.gif

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/threadjacked_zps8e0e7693.gif

Mofra
11-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Howard is clearly rated by the coaching staff, and I can see why. His best is about as good as any other developing player we have on our list. He lets himself down however, with poor positioning and inept defending. He needs to improve on those weaknesses.
He is a player who doesn't know what he wants to be - and I'm worried he'll end up like Everitt, the 7th best player on the list in every position on the ground.

He often takes the safe option in his kicking - when he doesn't he can kick some absolute beauties. He isn't quick, but he runs with the elite group so we know he has a tank that isn't far off the Cross/Boyd types (that also indicates he works hard off the field).

He seems to be able to improve weaknesses in his game too - his first season at Willy he seemed a bit soft to be honest, but his attack on the ball improved out of sight in his second year.

The issue is that talent and application mean didly squat if you can't find a way to benefit the team, and the best way to do that is force your way into a role that makes the team better for you being there. That's what he needs to find a way to do (you could make a similar argument about Vez - certainly talented).

Mofra
11-01-2013, 10:31 AM
The fact he is growing into becoming the forum whipping boy is over the top??
I don't think any negativity Tutt cops is close to what Eagle and Gia have copped over the years, espeically considering both Gia and Eagle were clearly best 22 players and Tutt is still establishing himself.

LostDoggy
11-01-2013, 11:51 AM
This thread was a good idea AW.
But it won't work unless woofers only post questions and not replies.
That's how Q&A boards work and I'm guessing that was what you were going for here?

Ghost Dog
11-01-2013, 11:52 AM
I want to ask the president. will Jason Tutt prove his knockers wrong and kick a bag of goals in his first game in 2013? :)

bornadog
11-01-2013, 12:19 PM
I want to ask the president. will Jason Tutt prove his knockers wrong and kick a bag of goals in his first game in 2013? :)

You better ask the coach that one.

LostDoggy
11-01-2013, 12:36 PM
99 percent of the crap gia copped over the journey was bullshit, and we all know it.
Fine footballer imo

Greystache
11-01-2013, 12:53 PM

You make out like he gets unfairly attacked week after week. The reality is he's been at the club 3 years, has played 8 games, and due to a variety of reasons went backwards in 2012. It's hardly a stretch for people to think 2013 shapes as an extremely important year if he wants to continue his AFL career.

Ghost Dog
11-01-2013, 02:00 PM
You make out like he gets unfairly attacked week after week. The reality is he's been at the club 3 years, has played 8 games, and due to a variety of reasons went backwards in 2012. It's hardly a stretch for people to think 2013 shapes as an extremely important year if he wants to continue his AFL career.

Do I? Where? I don't think he is the forum whipping boy. But if he doesn't put his head over the ball in 2013, he will grow to become one. His knockers in 2012 have been fair I think. He's a softball player. Needs to learn to play hardball and soon :D

Bulldog4life
11-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Agree BAD. Sometimes I log onto a post which I think is a view on the title thread only to discover it is a poster rambling on about something else which is nothing to do with the topic. Maybe the mods could do something about it or "is it just anything goes"?

Eastdog
11-01-2013, 02:23 PM

Agree as well BAD. Some threads can just go off topic a bit.

bulldogtragic
11-01-2013, 02:53 PM
If this thread was to impress PG with our acumen and ability to focus on he topic or ho we play the ball and not the man, I don't think he will be overawed. I would delete the thread nod start again...

Peter Gordon
11-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Evening All,

I'm impressed with everyone's acumen and ability!! Here are a few answers.

The start ot the year has been busy. We remain, as Simon said at the AGM, cautiously optimistic about Edgewater this year.

We have and will continue to reduce the debt sensibly over the next few years and we will explore new ways to keep that happening.

Here's a question for all of you.

What can we do in round one, our 'gathering of the clan' game, to create some new traditions and get all old and new bulldogs to gather together and celebrate our great club?

The Americans call this idea a 'homecoming game' and I think it has great potential.

Over to you.

Eastdog
11-01-2013, 09:30 PM
One more question Peter how is the Peninsula Club down in Dromana going for the club?

AndrewP6
11-01-2013, 10:31 PM
What can we do in round one, our 'gathering of the clan' game, to create some new traditions and get all old and new bulldogs to gather together and celebrate our great club?

The Americans call this idea a 'homecoming game' and I think it has great potential.

Over to you.

Great question. In my opinion...

- Try to get some past Dogs to the game, interview them etc... Have someone other than James Sherry doing it too - after all, he wears other teams gear when it's their home game!

- have some video footage pre game for fans already at the ground. Perhaps of the current group at training, in schools etc.
- something for people at the ground, possibly some signs to wave, or just hold up. Maybe Given its a home game these can go to Social Club members too. While I'm at it, when they're interviewing people in the SC, can we put some more lighting up there? It's hard to listen if you can't see them!

boydogs
11-01-2013, 10:44 PM
- Try to get some past Dogs to the game, interview them etc...

I like it. Maybe add jumper presentations to the new draftees, interviewing them before the game starts. Could be a good new tradition to kick off the season.

Etihad crowds are killing us. Playing low drawing opposition in Geelong or Ballarat would be better than going interstate IMO.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/western-bulldogs-sniff-around-for-home-ground/story-e6frf9jf-1226551529125

SonofScray
11-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Evening All,

The start ot the year has been busy. We remain, as Simon said at the AGM, cautiously optimistic about Edgewater this year.

We have and will continue to reduce the debt sensibly over the next few years and we will explore new ways to keep that happening.

Over to you.

Thanks Peter.

Personally, I think breaking away from the homogenous Etihad, pop music, dorky MC pre game package is a good start. We should strip it back and return to our roots a bit. Hyde St Band back in the spotlight for an example, a nice nod to the past and a unique aspect of a Bulldog's home game. Hand the experience back over to the fans. Really explicitly celebrate what makes us different. What makes the West different. It is those differences that bind us, that create that feeling of being in the tribe.

Fan interviews, invite supporters to share the lived experience of being one of us in a series of interviews filmed at the Whitten Oval and screened at the games. Let the Club's narrative in an overly homogenised AFL produced landscape gain some authenticity through exposing the real, lived experience.

Build on opportunities for members to feel like they are active participants in the lie of the Club beyond being purely a consumer of the brand. Whatever it is, it needs to leave me without a doubt that the ground is my patch for the day and that it is different to every other club's experience.

And here is the real money shot:

Half time Trugo.
:)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-01-2013, 12:36 AM
It's a pity that Lantern doesn't post here anymore. I think this would be the perfect forum (pardon the pun) for him to get further discuss his 'promote our blue collar roots', ' turn our lack of success to our advantage', 'become the team noone wants to play', 'create an us vs them' idea's as he did in a stream of conscious series of posts in the thread below.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10785&page=2

I think the underlying theme's of Lantern's series of posts aligns with and could be helpful for the club to use as a discussion point to start thinking of way's to leverage Peter's 'gathering of the clan' idea.

SonofScray
12-01-2013, 01:34 AM
It's a pity that Lantern doesn't post here anymore. I think this would be the perfect forum (pardon the pun) for him to get further discuss his 'promote our blue collar roots', ' turn our lack of success to our advantage', 'become the team noone wants to play', 'create an us vs them' idea's as he did in a stream of conscious series of posts in the thread below.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10785&page=2

I think the underlying theme's of Lantern's series of posts aligns with and could be helpful for the club to use as a discussion point to start thinking of way's to leverage Peter's 'gathering of the clan' idea.

Absolutely. Those posts were a highlight of my year reading WOOF. Well considered and crafted with genuine nous.

jeemak
12-01-2013, 01:40 AM
I was thinking the same thing, actually.

Eastdog
12-01-2013, 01:49 AM
I really enjoy reading jeemak, Lantern, SonofScray posts to WOOF. I'm getting into good conversation about the issues especially with jeemak.

LostDoggy
12-01-2013, 02:00 AM
Getting out and onto the ground brings it a lot closer and makes it feel more personal. Is there a possibility that a selection of the crowd, say 20 or 30 people get up close when the players do their warm ups, have the groups split up into 10 and have past players take them around the ground pre match? I used to love just kicking the footy on the oval post match.

SonofScray
12-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Invite ALL the members onto the ground to sing the song should we win the "homecoming" game.

LostDoggy
12-01-2013, 05:28 AM
Invite ALL the members onto the ground to sing the song should we win the "homecoming" game.

Wow that would be amazing , I'm coming over for the game from Adelaide. Not sure if that's possible but that would be incredible

ledge
12-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Before the game have photos Video clips of the Whitten oval as its changed over the years, with well Known photos blended in of players through the years up to current favourites while "up there Cazaly" and that Paul Kelly song that escapes me at the moment.
Examples, Kelvin Templeton kicking one or two of his 15, Simon Beasley taking that mark to beat the pies, johhnnos goal in the square where he falls on the ground arms up, Clay SMiths battle with Scarlett? To kick one of his first goals in his first game.
Combining the future with the past.
Someone selling peanuts for a shilling a bag (just joking)

bornadog
12-01-2013, 02:28 PM

Over to you.

This is really a tough one as our fans don't want to go to games unless we are winning. Even last year, the tribute game to Charlie Sutton drew a pathetic crowd of 16,000.

I guess we need to build up the club so the fans get excited about the future, without saying we are going to be top 4 in 2013. We seem to be doing a good job with lots of stories coming out in the press, but we need these closer to round one.

Ideas:

For the first game:

* Every kid under say 12 years old, in a bulldog jumper gets in free.

* Every kid in a bulldog jumper gets a Bulldogs large flag to wave - imagine the stadium full of bulldog flags waving. What an atmosphere.

* Kids love the players. At the Footscray end, all players not picked to play must show up and meet the fans as they come in and sign autographs. I know this is tedious for them, but we need to promote the club and kids love to meet the players. Get them out of their suit and tie. They can wear their trackies and their jumper so they are recognized (lots of new players now)

* Anyone that signs up for a membership at the first game gets X ( I don't know, something that will entice them)

* Cheer Squad - work with a the cheer squad so that they have new exciting chants, not just Bulldogs clap clap, Bulldogs clap clap, etc etc. and no doggy doggy doggy woof woof woof. The Collingwood chant is amazing, but lets not copy them.
Maybe the cheer quad can learn from big EPL soccer games and songs. Lets sing some songs that stir up the players and game.

* Before the game - introduce the ten new recruits to the crowd.

* Past Champions parade

I know some of these are costly but lets get a sponsor for the flags. Produce them in China and ship them over now with a sponsor logo.

Just a few ideas Peter, I will try and think of more.

SonofScray
12-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Wow that would be amazing , I'm coming over for the game from Adelaide. Not sure if that's possible but that would be incredible

Yeah, it really struck me as a great thing. Singing the song after a win on the ground with the players as a reward for turning out for the 'homecoming game.' You'd go for that opportunity and what amazing scenes as the faithful and the players celebrate together, the whole of the Club represented on the field.

w3design
12-01-2013, 04:47 PM
While I think a 'special' first game up is good, I would love to see the club return to the roots of the whole concept. That is get back to being an all in one social group.
As in, not just an Administration, a Playing/Coaching group, and a supporter base.
I realise that sounds a bit old style suburban club in concept, but I feel these days there is too much separation into the parts, and not enough integration of the whole body. You want your supporters to actually feel like they are part of it all the way.

I hold out great hope for the 'Footscray @ Whitten Oval' reserves concept as a great place to begin this process. I have enjoyed going to Williamstown and watching the new kids begin their journey, and it is great to get the chance to chat to the likes of a young Roughy etc. at the match, and get to find out what sort of person they are before they become stars.
This is great for making you feel more a part of the club than merely watching the seniors at a stadium or on TV.
The Club should find more ways to get their members together where they can get to meet each other, and develop some level of relationships with each other as part of a group.

Perhaps the club could encourage days where say the posters who participate in the various Doggy forums might meet as a group to perhaps have informal discussions on club related topics with each other, and Q & A sessions with players, coaches and club policy makers.

Basically what I am getting at is make members feel more a part of the club, rather than just financial contributors and match day numbers.

Ghost Dog
12-01-2013, 04:54 PM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2012/09/29/1226484/537129-luke-dahlhaus.jpg

Essentially, footy is about entertainment. In the NBL they have half time things like people trying to score from the centre of the court. I'm thinking along these lines.
On TV, they have the TAC show for under 18's. The kicking comp between Daicos and some cheeky youngster is always fun. Why not do something similar?

Have a father V son kicking comp. Libba snr V Libba Jnr Handball comp. Wallis V Wallis kicking comp. Something like that. Or just oldies V youngsters. Battle of the number '6'ers. Luke Dahlhaus V Brad Johnson challenge.

Anything involving Barry Hall will be very popular.

AndrewP6
12-01-2013, 06:50 PM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2012/09/29/1226484/537129-luke-dahlhaus.jpg

Essentially, footy is about entertainment. In the NBL they have half time things like people trying to score from the centre of the court. I'm thinking along these lines.
On TV, they have the TAC show for under 18's. The kicking comp between Daicos and some cheeky youngster is always fun. Why not do something similar?

Have a father V son kicking comp. Libba snr V Libba Jnr Handball comp. Wallis V Wallis kicking comp. Something like that. Or just oldies V youngsters. Battle of the number '6'ers. Luke Dahlhaus V Brad Johnson challenge.

Anything involving Barry Hall will be very popular.

There are Auskick games on all over the ground at half time. They''ve gotta stay.

LostDoggy
12-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Evening All,

Over to you.

Thanks Peter,

I would personally love the possibility of player/supporter interaction.

We could possibly randomly select 50 Members who have attended the game, if selected you get to go in the rooms after the match win, lose or draw.

For example, display 10 members names on the big screen before the game, 10 at each of the quarter breaks and finally 10 after the match.

The possibility of meeting and being up close with players would be a big draw card IMO, it may also stop people leaving at 3 quarter time if we are in deep trouble.

OLD SCRAGGer
12-01-2013, 09:32 PM

REALLY like this idea:)

AndrewP6
12-01-2013, 10:19 PM
The possibility of meeting and being up close with players would be a big draw card IMO, it may also stop people leaving at 3 quarter time if we are in deep trouble.

The good old days... (sorry, haven't figured out how to change the size!)

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/Old%20pics/Scan130060012_zps231655f9smaller_zpsac44d148.jpg][/IMG]

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/Old%20pics/Scan130070002_zpsffaa9f88smaller_zps9d82469c.jpg

Remi Moses
12-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Jock doesn't look overly excited in that picture.:eek:

AndrewP6
12-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Jock doesn't look overly excited in that picture.:eek:

haha...Still has his game face on! The callipers (things on my legs) were made of metal, and very cumbersome, holding me up was probably the last thing he wanted to do, right after a game!

LostDoggy
13-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Yeah, it really struck me as a great thing. Singing the song after a win on the ground with the players as a reward for turning out for the 'homecoming game.' You'd go for that opportunity and what amazing scenes as the faithful and the players celebrate together, the whole of the Club represented on the field.

Well said , Could not agree anymore!

ledge
13-01-2013, 12:05 PM
haha...Still has his game face on! The callipers (things on my legs) were made of metal, and very cumbersome, holding me up was probably the last thing he wanted to do, right after a game!

My dad had some sort of calipers as a child in the 40s he had polio but fully recovered

BornInDroopSt'54
13-01-2013, 12:21 PM
My dad had some sort of calipers as a child in the 40s he had polio but fully recovered

My mother in the 50's also had callipers, from breaking a leg whilst pregnant and slipping over, mopping the floor in Droop St Footscray. The baby took all the calcium away from the mending leg. Memo to Jake Stringer, don't get pregnant.
Great photos Andrew.

Ghost Dog
13-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Hey Andrew those are classic. Thanks for posting them.

AndrewP6
13-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Hey Andrew those are classic. Thanks for posting them.

No worries. Dad had friends connected to the club, we used to go down into the rooms quite a lot. I have another, I'll post that as soon as I can find it! :)

AndrewP6
13-01-2013, 05:30 PM
My mother in the 50's also had callipers, from breaking a leg whilst pregnant and slipping over, mopping the floor in Droop St Footscray. The baby took all the calcium away from the mending leg. Memo to Jake Stringer, don't get pregnant.
Great photos Andrew.

Thanks, they're good memories.

Mofra
14-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Fan interviews, invite supporters to share the lived experience of being one of us in a series of interviews filmed at the Whitten Oval and screened at the games. Let the Club's narrative in an overly homogenised AFL produced landscape gain some authenticity through exposing the real, lived experience.
I think this is an excellent idea - perhaps interviewing one fan per week (a few days before the game) and mixing the interview about a memorable experience with footage from that game and interviewing a player or two involved in the incident/game.
Maybe a couple of interviews could be prepared for round 1.

It gets people talking (the old timers will be saying "I was there") and links the new members with those who have had long links to the club.
Also provides a point of difference to expansion clubs and reminds fans during our "down" period that things can change quickly.

always right
14-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Great question. In my opinion...

- Try to get some past Dogs to the game, interview them etc... Have someone other than James Sherry doing it too - after all, he wears other teams gear when it's their home game!

Couldn't agree more. We need someone we can relate to as a bulldog person. Russell Gilbert anyone?

Would also love to hear more about the kids who get to run out with the team each game. Who are they and how did they get this honour? What about the people we often see forming a guard of honour as the team runs out. Who are they....are they randomly plucked from the crowd? Any chance we could get more people out there to make a bit of noise?

boydogs
14-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Reminds fans during our "down" period that things can change quickly.

Just play Year of the Dogs on loop then :D

But seriously, there is a bit of a 1996 feel around the club at the moment. New President, a superdraft of new recruits and a lot more coaches. Need to bring that to the attention of supporters to give them hope for the future.

F'scary
15-01-2013, 11:34 AM
No worries. Dad had friends connected to the club, we used to go down into the rooms quite a lot. I have another, I'll post that as soon as I can find it! :)

Thank you for sharing Andrew. Wonderful memories.

LostDoggy
15-01-2013, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Peter Gordon;306493]

QUOTE]

Hey Peter,

One thing the Wallabies do well is the pre-game signing outside the stadium for all the kids. They line up in droves to meet their hero's in the tents. Could we do a pregame signing 1 1/2 hour before the game?

Given there is lots of excitment around Stringer, Macrae, etc, it could be a good way to tap into getting a turnout for a homecoming event. Maybe set-up tents over the road by the water so there's abit of space for kick to kick whilst they are waiting. Everyone who turns up goes into the draw to go in a half-time handball/goal competition against e.g Hunter or Macrae with a prize pack for the 6-16 year olds? Not sure what the deal we have via AFLPA re player access but BMac won't play all the kids that game (presumably) so you'd think there would be enough "name" recruits to get involved pre-game who aren't playing.

I'd also get a letter to the members signed by the Wallis/Dahlhaus/Jones/Cordy's of the world asking them to turn out and support the new breed of bulldogs as they develop their game. Get them to talk to the heart about how they see the year and what they want out of it and particularly what they hear over the fence and why its important to have a crowd there to them.

You could also make it sign a new member at the ground on the day and Stringer/Boydy and BMac will sign a cap for you and them. Might boost the membership.

PS: No apologies for the Stringer love. Its preseason so we get to dream all these kids will be 150 goal/year 10 year forwards and 45 possession norm smith winning midfielders.

Cheers
S-Dog

LostDoggy
15-01-2013, 07:21 PM
We sit on the Bourke street side of Etihad, which seems to be where a big percentage of bulldog supporters sit. Whenever there is a presentation on the ground of past players, we have trouble working out who is on the ground, because they are that far away and the sound system is very poor. Likewise when we have a win and he players go to the crowd they almost miss our side of the ground. Being a older member, it does not worry me, but feel for all the kids, they are our future. I know the players are tired and we are the the furtherest away, but I think it is important that every member get recognition from the players.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-01-2013, 09:18 PM
The good old days... (sorry, haven't figured out how to change the size!)

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/Old%20pics/Scan130060012_zps231655f9smaller_zpsac44d148.jpg][/IMG]

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/Old%20pics/Scan130070002_zpsffaa9f88smaller_zps9d82469c.jpg

Wow Andrew, your mum and dad only had one recipe, you all look like Jackson Brown.

Remi Moses
16-01-2013, 02:53 AM
Don't know what was worse that season onfield , or having that alcoholic monstrosity as major sponsor.:eek:

Ghost Dog
16-01-2013, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=Peter Gordon;306493]

QUOTE]

Hey Peter,

One thing the Wallabies do well is the pre-game signing outside the stadium for all the kids. They line up in droves to meet their hero's in the tents. Could we do a pregame signing 1 1/2 hour before the game?

Given there is lots of excitment around Stringer, Macrae, etc, it could be a good way to tap into getting a turnout for a homecoming event. Maybe set-up tents over the road by the water so there's abit of space for kick to kick whilst they are waiting. Everyone who turns up goes into the draw to go in a half-time handball/goal competition against e.g Hunter or Macrae with a prize pack for the 6-16 year olds? Not sure what the deal we have via AFLPA re player access but BMac won't play all the kids that game (presumably) so you'd think there would be enough "name" recruits to get involved pre-game who aren't playing.

I'd also get a letter to the members signed by the Wallis/Dahlhaus/Jones/Cordy's of the world asking them to turn out and support the new breed of bulldogs as they develop their game. Get them to talk to the heart about how they see the year and what they want out of it and particularly what they hear over the fence and why its important to have a crowd there to them.

You could also make it sign a new member at the ground on the day and Stringer/Boydy and BMac will sign a cap for you and them. Might boost the membership.

PS: No apologies for the Stringer love. Its preseason so we get to dream all these kids will be 150 goal/year 10 year forwards and 45 possession norm smith winning midfielders.

Cheers
S-Dog

Should we only allow members this access to players? Maybe once or twice a year, all kids could get to the tent, but more frequently, maybe several times a year, members and their children got to meet some players.

craigsahibee
16-01-2013, 01:29 PM
How about the club puts on a series of shuttle buses to ferry fans from the Whitten Oval to Etihad for our first home game of the season. Turn it in to a pilgrimage of some sorts.

Members only, so it helps to encourage those that haven't signed up to do so.

We could set up a Membership tent at Whitten Oval on the day and all those that sign up gain a seat on one of the buses.

At the end of the game after festivities slow down in the Social Club at Etihad, there could be a gathering back at Whitten Oval, sausage sizzle or the likes, nolthing too fancy but a chance for non social club members to have the chance to meet with other supporters at our spiritual home to celebrate the kick off to the season.

bornadog
16-01-2013, 01:35 PM
How about the club puts on a series of shuttle buses to ferry fans from the Whitten Oval to Etihad for our first home game of the season. Turn it in to a pilgrimage of some sorts.

We could set up a Membership tent at Whitten Oval on the day and all those that sign up gain a seat on one of the buses.

At the end of the game after festivities slow down in the Social Club at Etihad, there could be a gathering back at Whitten Oval, sausage sizzle or the likes, nolthing too fancy but a chance for non social club members to have the chance to meet with other supporters at our spiritual home to celebrate the kick off to the season.

Great idea Craig.

Greystache
16-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Great idea Craig

LostDoggy
16-01-2013, 06:34 PM

Peter Gordon would have been responsible for organising the same thing in 1990 our first pre season game after our fightback. Everyone was encouraged to go from Whitten Oval to Waverley in a fleet if buses, was a great vibe on the night.

Twodogs
16-01-2013, 07:59 PM

I have a similiar idea, but mine involves more of a cerononial thing. I'd love to see all our supporters meet at Whitten Oval on the day of round one and make their way as one big group down FOOTSCRAY rd to Etihad and stake our claim to the ground.

Whether we drive in convoy, ride bikes, get buses or even walk just imagine how good it would feel being part of the bulldog army making it's way to stake out it's territory.

craigsahibee
16-01-2013, 08:06 PM
I have a similiar idea, but mine involves more of a cerononial thing. I'd love to see all our supporters meet at Whitten Oval on the day of round one and make their way as one big group down FOOTSCRAY rd to Etihad and stake our claim to the ground.

Whether we drive in convoy, ride bikes, get buses or even walk just imagine how good it would feel being part of the bulldog army making it's way to stake out it's territory.

Lay out a Red, White and Blue carpet from La Trobe St to the Turnstiles as a path for all of the pilgrims to follow into the stadium.

SonofScray
16-01-2013, 08:36 PM

Some sort of March of the Bulldogs would be great.You have to really push for ceremony and symbolism. It is the sort of thing that captures peoples' imagination.

Twodogs
16-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Lay out a Red, White and Blue carpet from La Trobe St to the Turnstiles as a path for all of the pilgrims to follow into the stadium.

I'm liking it.

Some sort of March of the Bulldogs would be great.You have to really push for ceremony and symbolism. It is the sort of thing that captures peoples' imagination.

Yep, it'd be all about ceremony and symbolism. Bringing supporters together and making them feel part of something is what a footy club is all about.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Good ideas.

Reminds me of the show "Being Liverpool", or whatever it is, where they all catch a bus to the game and then debrief afterwards etc.

Eastdog
17-01-2013, 03:20 AM
Some good ideas guys. I like Craig's idea and to go further on that idea Bulldog supporters could coverage at the start of La Trobe Street and march all the way to Etihad Stadium.

SonofScray
17-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Buses could stop at Harbour Town. The fans could gather near Footscray Rd and march up to the stadium. It'd make for great scenes. Encourage flags and banners etc, a real rally from the fans.

Example: Something similar to that could be achievable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFTpT11zMQc

Ghost Dog
18-01-2013, 01:34 AM
St Kilda did something recently where they 'occupied' a train into the city. Made that particular train their rally point, going into the MCG. Not a bad idea eh?

westdog54
18-01-2013, 01:47 AM

Love it.

A big march down Footscray Road, with Red White and Blue flying everywhere, singing, chanting.

Brilliant idea.

Google Maps has it as a 6.4 kilometre, 1 hour 20 minute walk.

jeemak
18-01-2013, 02:27 AM
I like the idea of congregating at Harbourtown Docklands, and marching on the stadium.

Local vendors in that area have been crying out for business for a while, and some organised clientelle would probably give them the impetus to open up and provide some special services.

Canvassing the idea across the restaurants and bars within the area might bring some positive results. Lunch before The March, where every Bulldog gets a feed at a reasonable price prior to home games. There's options for eating and drinking that span many demographics. Much like there's now many demographics that make up Bulldogs members and supporters.

If it takes off, you could have a membership tent at the promenade, who's staff can knock off after The March has started and boulster the support crew in the tents at the ground.

The Docklands is an under utilised area, and with some support of struggling vendors within that area we could carry on our tradition of being a community based club, and congregate as a supporter base.

Hotdog60
18-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Buses could stop at Harbour Town. The fans could gather near Footscray Rd and march up to the stadium. It'd make for great scenes. Encourage flags and banners etc, a real rally from the fans.

Example: Something similar to that could be achievable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFTpT11zMQc

I see the Hyde st band leading the group with sons of the scray.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-01-2013, 10:06 AM

I'll bring a few sacks of peanuts.

Twodogs
18-01-2013, 11:41 AM

I'd go even further and organise a deal with the traders. If we can bring supporters to Harbour Town for something like this then maybe they could make that little part of the world a bulldog oasis on match days. All they would have to do is put up some streamers or bunting.

My daughter goes to Hyde st and I dont think they have a marching band anymore. They have music and put on shows but due to the Steiner stream closing they only have about a hundred students enrolled this year. My daughter's year 6 class only has seven kids in it.

I'm sure that if the club got in contact with them they could organise something though.

Peter Gordon
21-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all these. We'll see how many we might be able to do this year.

Ghost Dog
21-01-2013, 10:40 AM
There is another issue. Richo lead a march of the Tiger army to the G earlier in 2012. They were summarily spanked on the field. If people turn out for a big affair, I hope we are not then beaten by 100 points. That would be cruel.

Bulldog4life
21-01-2013, 02:01 PM

How about a shuttle bus from Rosebud.;)

BRG1993
21-01-2013, 02:15 PM
What about in the guard of honor as the team runs out we have 'a' band not just the hyde street band play the dogs theme song as the guys run on the ground and maybe lighting around the race as well

KT31
24-01-2013, 01:26 AM
What about in the guard of honor as the team runs out we have 'a' band not just the hyde street band play the dogs theme song as the guys run on the ground and maybe lighting around the race as well

If we make it the Philharmonic that will at least mean another hundred at the ground.:D

SonofScray
02-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Hi Peter,

Some good suggestions in this thread in response to your question. What odds of seeing any of it come to fruition for "Clan Day?" The concept has really captured my imagination as someone who takes a real passionate interest in fan culture and identity.

#bulldogblitz was a great campaign by the way, lots of discussion on Twitter and at my workplace out here in the west.

Red jumper/shorts/socks combo was great. I originally hated the idea of red being our predominate colour in any strip but last night it was a sight to behold. Very dynamic.

Peter Gordon
02-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Three things to say:

1.) "Clan day" is now "Gathering of the Pack" day in keeping with canine tradition.

2.) I am very excited about some of the things we're going to introduce at home games this year; not going to share them with you now though....you're going to have to be there. You'll kick yourself if you miss it. If I'm wrong about this, feel free to sue me or vote me out! (At least then I'd feel free to vent at some umpiring events without fear of bringing the Club into disrepute!)

3.) And finally, God I loved last night!

Hotdog60
02-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Three things to say:

So did I, I haven't jumped out of my seat and fist pumped in ages. The future looks bright.

ledge
02-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Hello Peter just wondering if you can update us on Edgewater , I haven't heard anything and it seems to have stalled

Peter Gordon
02-03-2013, 09:44 PM
as soon as we're in a position to say something more about Edgewater, we will. Sorry I cant do better than that right now.

Ghost Dog
02-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Hi Peter. Thanks for your work and a great win last night.

There was an article today in TheAge about a meeting by the bigger clubs at Crown.

The AFL has called for submissions from clubs before the March 20 season's-eve presidents meeting and the major clubs are getting together to form a united front.

link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz2MNb1Wmyj)

Wonder if you had any opinions on this article.
I really hope the smaller clubs can work closely together to form a similar union so we can get a fair deal.

Greystache
03-03-2013, 02:30 AM
You'll kick yourself if you miss it. If I'm wrong about this, feel free to sue me or vote me out! (At least then I'd feel free to vent at some umpiring events without fear of bringing the Club into disrepute!)

Some quality posting there Peter!

One of the most enjoyable aspects of being a supporter is seeing a young team showing signs of promise, we saw that last night and I saw a lot of excitement in our supporters faces. It's only early but there were signs.

Peter Gordon
03-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Hi Peter. Thanks for your work and a great win last night.

There was an article today in TheAge about a meeting by the bigger clubs at Crown.

The AFL has called for submissions from clubs before the March 20 season's-eve presidents meeting and the major clubs are getting together to form a united front.

link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz2MNb1Wmyj)

Wonder if you had any opinions on this article.
I really hope the smaller clubs can work closely together to form a similar union so we can get a fair deal.

got myself to blame really. I never should have said I'd only come if I got a disequal share of the Peking duck. Then again, having not been invited, I was pretty surprised to get an invoice for one eighteenth of the bill the next day!

But seriously.....

I enjoyed the Age article. I thought it was all put in an amusing way. I hope we can keep the debate focussed on what's best for Australian Rules as a whole.

Ghost Dog
03-03-2013, 10:17 AM
got myself to blame really. I never should have said I'd only come if I got a disequal share of the Peking duck. Then again, having not been invited, I was pretty surprised to get an invoice for one eighteenth of the bill the next day!

But seriously.....

I enjoyed the Age article. I thought it was all put in an amusing way. I hope we can keep the debate focussed on what's best for Australian Rules as a whole.

Never mind!; I'm sure you would be disappointed by the duck at Crown Peter. I'd go a seven dollar Vietnamese Pho Noodle soup in Footscray any day over Crown's big plate small serve fare.

I get what you're saying Peter; The larger clubs at least do agree with us on some of the points in 'catch up footy' so that's a good start.

LongWait
03-03-2013, 11:20 AM

But seriously.....

Peter - thanks for getting involved in WOOF as you have. I'm sure all other WOOF contributors think this is a great initiative.

My two bobs worth on the AFL:

I have been concerned for some time that a form of 'goal displacement' has occurred at AFL level. As I recall, the primary original goal in creating the AFL Commission was to ensure that a group of experienced and expert people could nurture and manage the future of the competition and the code on behalf of the AFL member clubs, free of club parochialism, and in the interests of all AFL member clubs, not just the rich and powerful or the 'traditional, long-standing member clubs.'

It now seems that the primary goal of the Commission has become the maximization of AFL revenues regardless of whether all clubs are treated fairly and equitably and regardless of whether the long term viability of some founding clubs and the integrity of the competition are damaged by this new goal.

When did the Commission and the member clubs decide that maximization of AFL revenues was synonymous with preserving the health and future of the competition and that AFL revenue maximization is more important than the survival of the smaller member clubs? When did the clubs agree that some clubs could enjoy massive benefits at the expense of other clubs if it maximizes AFL revenues?

It seems to me that the Commission has decided that it is the the game: that the AFL organisation is the code and that increasing it's financial revenue is more important than the health of the member clubs and more important than the integrity and credibility of the competition.

Ghost Dog
03-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Good point Long wait. I can't believe it has taken so long for the idea of purchasing Etihad to be floated. The AFL commission should have been on the front foot a long time ago regards the unfair stadium deals.

LongWait
03-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Good point Long wait. I can't believe it has taken so long for the idea of purchasing Etihad to be floated. The AFL commission should have been on the front foot a long time ago regards the unfair stadium deals.

It's hard to work out the solution if you don't have agreement about what the problem is (or what the primary goal is.) Nevertheless, I suspect that addressing the stadium deal inequities is going to be a part of the solution. As it stands now, the Western Bulldogs and North are helping to subsidise the eventual AFL purchase of the docklands stadium.

w3design
03-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Ha GD, you can be absolutely certain that if it were Colligwood, Carlton, Essendon etc. that were getting burned by their stadium deals, the SH1T would have well and truly hit the fan in a big way Long Ago.

I have said before, the AFL must get full control of Docklands ASAP, and never again get suckered in to handing stadium control over to profit greedy private corporations, with no interest whatever in the well being of either the competition or the clubs.

When as the games need, a new boutique stadium, comes into existence, it must to be managed by the League, with all profits being ploughed back into the game, rather than already wealthy investors pockets.

Stadium aside, I still think the best way the League can help the struggling clubs is by providing add ons for memberships to encourage more the option or opportunity for extra fans to take up memberships.
Better draws, and better TV coverage for struggling clubs might not go astray either.

Eastdog
03-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi Peter,

Great to see you contributing on WOOF sharing your ideas. I'm by the way a first year member of the Bulldogs so happy to be on board.

bornadog
03-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Ha GD, you can be absolutely certain that if it were Colligwood, Carlton, Essendon etc. that were getting burned by their stadium deals, the SH1T would have well and truly hit the fan in a big way Long Ago.

I have said before, the AFL must get full control of Docklands ASAP, and never again get suckered in to handing stadium control over to profit greedy private corporations, with no interest whatever in the well being of either the competition or the clubs.

When as the games need, a new boutique stadium, comes into existence, it must to be managed by the League, with all profits being ploughed back into the game, rather than already wealthy investors pockets.

Stadium aside, I still think the best way the League can help the struggling clubs is by providing add ons for memberships to encourage more the option or opportunity for extra fans to take up memberships.
Better draws, and better TV coverage for struggling clubs might not go astray either.

Before we start blaming every one else, the Stadium deal at Docklands is our own fault. We allowed the AFL to negotiate on our behalf and they did a bad job.

I agree it would be great if the AFL can buy the stadium earlier than the current schedule, but its a big investment and whether they can afford to is another issue.

Ghost Dog
03-03-2013, 05:30 PM

Paul what kinds of add ons did you have in mind?

boydogs
03-03-2013, 07:54 PM

You're not the only one to suggest that, but I'm curious - why is the AFL buying the contract out earlier the way to go? The stadium management are expecting a certain amount of revenue to be delivered, why would they sell out for anything less? The AFL could just put the money back into the clubs that play there for the same outcome.

The AFL have a quota of games to play there, and a set of agreements that the clubs that play there have in place. The best thing they could do is to schedule the clubs with the better deals to play there more than the others.

The AFL allowing North to sell games into Tassie is an example of that. They knocked back a request for us to play in Geelong as it is not a new market, which is where I can see Ballarat becoming quite important for the remainder of the Etihad deal.

Remi Moses
03-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I've gotta say there is a bit of self interest and phoney ism with these presidents of the top clubs. The chest beating drives me to distraction

Ghost Dog
03-03-2013, 09:20 PM
The AFL allowing North to sell games into Tassie is an example of that. They knocked back a request for us to play in Geelong as it is not a new market, which is where I can see Ballarat becoming quite important for the remainder of the Etihad deal.

How? Where? The ground at Ballarat is just not even near AFL standard.

Eastdog
03-03-2013, 09:45 PM
The future if the ground is ever planned is the Showgrounds. We need a good smaller stadium which holds 25k-30k.

boydogs
04-03-2013, 02:52 AM
How? Where? The ground at Ballarat is just not even near AFL standard.

There's a consortium pushing for an upgrade. North had Labor onboard in the 2010 state election campaign before Labor lost.

craigsahibee
04-03-2013, 09:48 AM
The future if the ground is ever planned is the Showgrounds. We need a good smaller stadium which holds 25k-30k.

Would be ideal for games against North, Melbourne and interstate teams, however I'm pretty sure the contract with Etuhad has a caveat in place that says development or building of a similar size stadium within Melbourne can't take place until the handover to the AFL in 2025 or thereabouts.

Someone else might be able to help with the finer points on this.

bornadog
04-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Would be ideal for games against North, Melbourne and interstate teams, however I'm pretty sure the contract with Etuhad has a caveat in place that says development or building of a similar size stadium within Melbourne can't take place until the handover to the AFL in 2025 or thereabouts.

Someone else might be able to help with the finer points on this.

Instead of building another stadium the AFL should put that money into Eithad and make the ground work. At the same time we have to build up our membership and get no less than 30,000 to every match - including interstate teams.

craigsahibee
04-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Instead of building another stadium the AFL should put that money into Eithad and make the ground work. At the same time we have to build up our membership and get no less than 30,000 to every match - including interstate teams.

Agree entirely. Less over zealous security staff and faster bar staff in the Victory Room would be a good start ;)

LostDoggy
04-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi Peter

I thought the all red strip looked fantastic. Maybe that was because we won! But I also love the all royal blue strip. I am no fan of anything white. My question, though, is why do we need so many different strips? Can we not use an all red strip more often?

Remi Moses
04-03-2013, 04:19 PM
It's about fairness this issue.
Gets very tiresome the language sometimes
"Drip feed" "handouts" etc etc
Just a reminder to Newbloke at Hawthorn, it want long ago you nearly merged with Melbourne!
Also wasn't long ago when you were getting 2 men and a dog to games at the G either.

Bulldog Joe
04-03-2013, 06:06 PM
I repeat my oft posted view.

The first step is the AFL take responsibility for all the match day expense and gate revenue regardless of where its played and they split the takings amongst the 18 clubs.

All the free reign on Blockbusters etc are to the detriment of the clubs not involved yet those clubs, missing blockbuster revenue, are the ones expected to meet the AFL obligation at Etihad.

I guarantee none of the so-called big clubs will forgo any benefit that emanates from the ultimate AFL ownership of the stadium.

w3design
04-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Before we start blaming every one else, the Stadium deal at Docklands is our own fault. We allowed the AFL to negotiate on our behalf and they did a bad job.

I agree it would be great if the AFL can buy the stadium earlier than the current schedule, but its a big investment and whether they can afford to is another issue.

Unless I have badly misread the tea leaves, at the time of the "Docklands deal" the AFL held de-facto control of all our financial management. The 'deal' we were forced to accept while kowtowing to the AFL was totally beyond our capacity to veto or reject.

I believe the owners of Docklands would accept a buyout, because generally money in the bank NOW, is better than a potential income in 13 years time[ or over that time frame]. A bird in the hand etc.

As to how that benefits the clubs currently being raped by the 'deals' currently in place, the AFL as manager/owner can redistribute match day and licencing incomes and profits/costs much more equitably. Or dare I say it, more to the advantage of the poorer clubs rather than to the richer, and shareholders.

A Socialist revolution ????? STIFF SH1T!!!! Inequities exist now, and they are not only against the interest of the smaller clubs, but they are not in the interest of either the game or the competition.

As to my proposal for AFL add ons to memberships of struggling clubs, I will address that in a separate post, to avoid this becoming an essay or manifesto. :cool:

boydogs
04-03-2013, 11:58 PM
I believe the owners of Docklands would accept a buyout, because generally money in the bank NOW, is better than a potential income in 13 years time[ or over that time frame]. A bird in the hand etc.

There's not a big risk attached to this income, there are game quotas and inked deals in place to produce the revenue.

The other thing to consider is non-AFL usage of Etihad - is the AFL prepared to pay Etihad management the money they would have made from renting the stadium to the A-League, concerts etc. in the time before the AFL is due to take over?

Ghost Dog
05-03-2013, 12:01 AM
For that cash you could build another stadium. Which is another option. The AFL gets out of Etihad completely and sinks it into a different inner city venue. Princess Park, or other. However, half of the board probably has their super tied up in Etihad so what do they care?

jeemak
05-03-2013, 12:50 AM
For that cash you could build another stadium. Which is another option. The AFL gets out of Etihad completely and sinks it into a different inner city venue. Princess Park, or other. However, half of the board probably has their super tied up in Etihad so what do they care?

Pretty sure the current structure is geared around Docklands being purchased in 2025. Any dissolution of that deal would only result in the AFL paying higher rates to play there, hence making it even tougher for our club to turn a buck.

BAD, I'm not too sure we had much bargaining power with Docklands when the initial deals were constructed. Essentially a few of the larger clubs were given plumb deals, while the rest made up the numbers. I'm confident with no viable alternative playing space for our club it wouldn't have mattered who negotiated the deal on our behalf. That's what's so scurrilous about the whole thing, it was a turkey shoot from the beginning.

Bulldog Joe makes a particularly pertinent point that resonates with me. There's no way the larger clubs would allow us to enjoy the equivalent disproportionate spoils of the sale of Docklands, that they enjoy from favourable fixturing and the increased brand exposure that results from it.

Peter, has any indication been given to how the payoff from purchasing Docklands will be distributed amongst the competition? Should we be seeking assurances that clubs like ours, who have subsidised the returns given to other clubs and other codes will be looked after once the stadium is under AFL control?

It may seem like a long way down the track, but we're over the half way point of when the ground will become controlled by the AFL and we probably need to start lobbying now.

firstdogonthemoon
08-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Mr Gordon - lovely to have you on here!

Heard you on 774 this morning - very funny. John Faine liked you too, and while that might not win us a flag it can't hurt either.

I don't have a question I just wanted to say your media work to date has been fabulous please keep it up.

LostDoggy
20-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Does Peter still check this thread? I have a left field equalisation idea that is kinda radical but ticks all the boxes.

Greystache
20-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Does Peter still check this thread? I have a left field equalisation idea that is kinda radical but ticks all the boxes.

He logs on regularly, put it up and I'm sure he'll get to read it.

Ghost Dog
20-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Dear Peter
I know you can't answer this one, but I wonder if the Bulldogs have any concerns over the amount of money pokies take out of the community?

The thread is 'ask the president' :) not necessarily answer the member! :) Food for thought.

edit*

Eastdog
20-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Dear Peter,
I was wondering if maybe in the future that we might play a few more home games at the MCG. Would this benefit the club a bit more in revenue from home matches. Love to hear your thoughts.

boydogs
20-03-2013, 01:15 AM
In my best Peter Gordon voice: :D

Dear Peter
I'm of the view, and not alone, that communities would be far better off with less pokies than we currently see around the place. North Melbourne and the WA clubs don't need them. Is there any kind of hope for a future where we don't have to rely on the one armed bandit?

Considering the effort we put into getting the Peninsula Club and Club Edgewater off the ground, I would suggest this is not our direction

Dear Peter,
I was wondering if maybe in the future that we might play a few more home games at the MCG. Would this benefit the club a bit more in revenue from home matches. Love to hear your thoughts.

If we could get out of our Etihad game quota. Unfortunately North were allowed to sell 2 games to Tassie, whilst the same number of games still need to played there to meet the requirements of the AFL agreement.

jeemak
20-03-2013, 01:23 AM
He logs on regularly, put it up and I'm sure he'll get to read it.

I think we need to be pragmatic about the responses we expect to receive to our queries.

Peter's leading a club that's unfortunately engaging in competition on many of the topics we're mentioning, rather than being in collaboration with them and with that comes some confidentiality, as well as time to respond.

Greystache
20-03-2013, 02:16 AM
I think we need to be pragmatic about the responses we expect to receive to our queries.

Peter's leading a club that's unfortunately engaging in competition on many of the topics we're mentioning, rather than being in collaboration with them and with that comes some confidentiality, as well as time to respond.

I agree with that. I said he'll read them, not necessarily with the expectation of a response.

Ghost Dog
20-03-2013, 08:17 AM
In my best Peter Gordon voice: :D

Considering the effort we put into getting the Peninsula Club and Club Edgewater off the ground, I would suggest this is not our direction

If we could get out of our Etihad game quota. Unfortunately North were allowed to sell 2 games to Tassie, whilst the same number of games still need to played there to meet the requirements of the AFL agreement.

Yes, perhaps. And perhaps Peter can't respond because of disclosure. But he may indeed read something and think about it. What then, for example, are clubs doing to counter the influence of gambling in the community? What programs are being put in place?

Don't tell me you can't do anything because they said the same thing about smoking 20 years ago.

bornadog
20-03-2013, 08:23 AM
The club CEOs and Presidents are meeting today on equilisation so should be interesting whagthe outcome is

bornadog
21-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Three things to say:

1.) "Clan day" is now "Gathering of the Pack" day in keeping with canine tradition.

2.) I am very excited about some of the things we're going to introduce at home games this year; not going to share them with you now though....you're going to have to be there. You'll kick yourself if you miss it. If I'm wrong about this, feel free to sue me or vote me out! (At least then I'd feel free to vent at some umpiring events without fear of bringing the Club into disrepute!)

Is this what you have been talking about or is there more:

Bulldog Legend's Shootout (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-03-21/bulldog-legends-shootout)

With over 1500 goals at the elite level between them, it's fair to say Brad Johnson, Chris Grant and Kelvin Templeton know how to put it through the big sticks. Ever wondered who would win if they were up against each other in a goal kicking competition? Get to Etihad Stadium on March 30 for the Western Bulldog’s Round 1 clash with the Brisbane Lions and you can see for yourself. All three past champions will battle it out in the Bulldog Legend's Shootout and you can be part of it.

The Western Bulldogs are offering one lucky member the chance to take on the greats, to enter, fill in your details below and in 50 words or less, tell us why you should be part of the contest.

ENTER on LINE at the above link

ledge
21-03-2013, 05:21 PM
What an awesome idea, , a lot of fans would never have seen Templeton.

Hotdog60
21-03-2013, 07:56 PM
I hope they don't do a hammy going for distance.:D

Peter Gordon
21-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Evening All,

Presidents and CEOs meeting with the AFL was very constructive. Disappointed that Garlick sounded so much more cerebral than me but what can ya do!

Excited about the shoot-out of the legends. How good will it be to see KT run out in number 31 for the dogs for the first time in about 30 years! Negotiating with one or two other legends of the Barkly Street end to join in, one of whom insists on kicking from the ten metre square.

Also excited to get an endorsement from First Dog on the Moon. Just so you know Buddy, I'm the guy who bought 16 copies of your Christmas book in December 2011. You and Leunig demonstrate the unusual phenomenon of the Bulldogs producing the finest cartoonists in the land.

Also excited about my possible new career as a voice-over guy. To borrow from Lou Reed, somewhere Craig Willis is laughing til he wets his pants.

Cheers

Remi Moses
21-03-2013, 09:44 PM
G'day Peter, just wondering the thoughts on a proposal to play at Skilled Stadium?
Appreciated your transparency on important issues
Cheers

Eastdog
21-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Hi Peter,
Also would love to hear your thoughts on us playing 1-2 home games at the MCG each year.

boydogs
21-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Presidents and CEOs meeting with the AFL was very constructive.

That is good to hear, I didn't hold out much hope for it after hearing the big end of town was having their own meeting before hand to present a united front against any equalisation improvements.

LostDoggy
22-03-2013, 01:29 AM
PART 1
Heres my two cents on equalisation: Its a LOOONG post, so I'll break it up.
In terms of equalisation, all the re-distribution ideas put forward only serve to balance the edges. It will stop a club going broke or being anti-competitive but there is nothing aggressive enough to achieve true equalisation. The big clubs will still have turnover almost double that of the small clubs. Their Memberships and resources will continue to double or even triple the small clubs. As a result, they will still dominate primetime coverage and the upper levels of the ladder which will flow into continued growth for them and further increasing the gap between the haves and have-nots.

Sure, some extra money coming our way to boost our football department will come in handy but lets not kid ourselves, it is spare change for them and their football spending will always dwarf ours meaning they will always do better and get bigger than us.

So short of pooling every cent and distributing it equally, how do we achieve true equality where every team has an ability to beat every other team on a consistent basis?

LostDoggy
22-03-2013, 01:53 AM
PART 2
I was reading an article by Michael Warner in the Heraldsun titled ‘Sliding doors : Luck of the draft risks splitting the game as gap widens between rich and poor clubs’. The article quotes Matt Finnis the AFLPA Chief who says “If there are economic forces in the game which mean that not all players have an equal chance of optimising their careers, or winning a premiership, then you would expect the players would demand that those issues be addressed.” Essentially, he is saying that under current AFL arrangements, players lucky enough to be drafted to a big club has a better chance at optimizing their careers than a player unlucky enough to be drafted to a smaller club.

This got me thinking. If we can't equalise the dollars, lets equalise the source of those dollars. Which is onfield performance. We already have a Salary Cap and draft which work very well. What if we more aggressively utilised these instruments to compensate for a lack of equality on the financial side?

In other words, what if a battler club were given a bigger salary cap?

This one change will alter everything without the need to introduce a raft of complex equalisation measures.

1) There is a proposal to ban Free agents joining top 4 clubs. By introducing the 'Battler-Bonus' to the Salary Cap, this is less likely to occur. A player would have to be very desperate to take a significant pay cut to join a big club.
2) Cap on Football Department costs. There is no need to cap this and clubs are free to pursue whatever innovation they want. The smaller cap and player movements will balance out any advantages gained here
3) Continued wealth transfer. The current measures stay but a bigger cap will make the small team competitive without the need to take more money from the big clubs to fund football resources for the small clubs.
4) Spiralling Football costs. If a small club can be competitive without spending big on football department costs to keep up, then inflationary pressures will subside and financial solvency will improve.

LostDoggy
22-03-2013, 02:03 AM
PART 3
For the players, they will have an equal opportunity to optimise their careers. Aside from the more even prospects for premiership success, from a day to day basis, they will be more even. If you go to a small club, you will be compensated with Higher wages. If you go to a big club, you will experience better facilities and greater resourcing. This goes some way to ensure all players have a fair chance of optimising their careers.

And lastly, if this model translates to more premiership success for the small clubs, the growth rates will be more even thus closing the cap between the haves and have-nots.

Anyway, theres my idea. The big clubs will rail against it because they will see that this is trying to achieve true equality rather than satiate the uprising with scraps and excess money.
Feedback welcome but be gentle.

jeemak
22-03-2013, 02:13 AM
HKB, not going to quote your post, just in case you want to add to it.

So I'll pose a question to you outside of that. Why should every team have the ability to beat any team on any given day? Is that a concept that should have money thrown at it?

Some teams are going to be managed well, some are going to be managed poorly. Some are going to be healthy for an entire year due to a lack of injury, some won't because they've had a bad run.

If the above circumstances happen to affect the same clubs for consecutive years irrespective of the funding provided to them, how do we judge whether more money should or shouldn't be thrown at them?

Room needs to be left for innovation, and smart management of playing lists.

As Peter's being swamped with many questions to this point I'll refrain by asking him directly, but I'll put it to other Woofers, and if he wants to respond that would be awesome:

At which stage did it become acceptable for the draw to become lopsided in any way, and at which stage was it determined that it's better for the game as a whole for only some clubs to enjoy the spoils of prime time fixturing, while others subsidise future assets under poor fixturing conditions?

How did the league and the clubs allow themselves to get into such a gigantic mess over this juxtaposition?

Constantly I hear how Melbourne loves to see Blockbuster Games in which traditional rivals lock horns twice a year. I see year in, year out Derby's and Showdown's that allow special advantages to teams (an issue exacerbated by the introduction of a Sydney and Gold Goast team) from an exposure perspective, as well as an on-field competition perspective depending on how teams are performing. And it makes me want to throw up.

We're placing integrity officers into each club, or bolstering club's that already have these positions set, in the name of keeping the game free of undue influence. All the while, the competition is completely inbalanced and unfair on the back of its fixturing and stadium deals.

How did this become normal among the clubs, and the football public? It's insane.

Until we accept that the product the AFL has is the best in the country, and won't ever be surpassed in quality by other codes with careful management rather than undue manipulation to land short term results, this bullshit will continue to starve the competition of equality.

Make the game fair, manage it professionally, and strip back the administrative and corporate layers that are completely driven by bottom line results.

I haven't done the numbers on it, but I reckon there'd be a direct correlation between the frustration levels of the games supporters, and the profit derived from it.

Hotdog60
22-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Good post Jeemak, I think most clubs would like a equable draw apart from the ones that now benefit from it.

TV has been the devil in the whole saga and it started back when the news headline read tv pays $1,000,000 for exclusive rights.

Since this time the footy landscape has changed to feed the media monster.

Things were tough back then as we all know, but if you took the TV deals out and had today's cap and drafting rules in play would the clubs have the equality that they are asking.

Throughandthrough
22-03-2013, 02:19 PM
I would like to see the dogs claim and own Good Friday (night) footy

There's a thread on the afl board of this site and so far it looks very positive

Make it our idea before someone else runs with it.

firstdogonthemoon
22-03-2013, 02:39 PM
YOU'RE EXCITED!?! HOW EXCITED AM I GETTING AN ENDORSEMENT FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE WESTERN BULLDOGS OF MY ENDORSEMENT OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE WESTERN BULLDOGS!?

You are very kind sir buying 16 copies! Not even my dad bought that many.

Thanks a whole bunch!

Also excited to get an endorsement from First Dog on the Moon. Just so you know Buddy, I'm the guy who bought 16 copies of your Christmas book in December 2011. You and Leunig demonstrate the unusual phenomenon of the Bulldogs producing the finest cartoonists in the land.

Cheers

bornadog
22-03-2013, 04:59 PM
YOU'RE EXCITED!?! HOW EXCITED AM I GETTING AN ENDORSEMENT FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE WESTERN BULLDOGS OF MY ENDORSEMENT OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE WESTERN BULLDOGS!?

You are very kind sir buying 16 copies! Not even my dad bought that many.

Thanks a whole bunch!

I thought Peter was your dad:D

Twodogs
23-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I thought Peter was your dad:D

Oh Gid. Dont go giving him ideas...

Remi Moses
23-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Good post Jeemak, I think most clubs would like a equable draw apart from the ones that now benefit from it.

TV has been the devil in the whole saga and it started back when the news headline read tv pays $1,000,000 for exclusive rights.

Since this time the footy landscape has changed to feed the media monster.

Things were tough back then as we all know, but if you took the TV deals out and had today's cap and drafting rules in play would the clubs have the equality that they are asking.

Dead right. As soon as the billion dollar deal came out, it was a no brainier.
Stadium deals, fixturing and fixturing times are the Bain of the smaller clubs

craigsahibee
27-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I would like to use this forum to ask the President a question.

Peter, did you enjoy the Bruce Springsteen Concert on Tuesday night and did you notice the Bulldog's Guernsey being held up at the front of the stage? Apparently there is a push to get this guernsey on to stage and hopefully on the torso of the great man.

I for one had a ball and am extremely jealous of anyone who has a ticket to the Hanging Rock show's this weekend.

Peter Gordon
27-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Loved Thunder Road and Born To Run.

My favorite Springsteen numbers are The River and My Hometown so I would have like him to play them.

But a remarkable performance for a man of 63.

This week, my lateral recruiting ideas have been Springsteen into the forward line and Peter Siddle into the midfield. And yeah, I did see the guernsey.

Pickenitup
27-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Hey Peter i went to Bruce on Tuesday and he did The River bloody awesome song!
By the way Peter i think you are doing a Fantastic Job Go Dogs!

SonofScray
28-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Loved Thunder Road and Born To Run.

My favorite Springsteen numbers are The River and My Hometown so I would have like him to play them.

But a remarkable performance for a man of 63.

This week, my lateral recruiting ideas have been Springsteen into the forward line and Peter Siddle into the midfield. And yeah, I did see the guernsey.

Prefer The Coodabeen's "My Homeground."
DfV5F0IcFEg

Remi Moses
28-03-2013, 12:55 AM
The Prez's speech at the seasons launch got a nice bunk up from Gerard on AFL 360.
Comparing it to The Spin diatribe from Mickey Arthur returning from India.
Nice to get some realism instead of corporate spin.

Remi Moses
29-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Love to see us play Good Friday.
The smaller franchise clubs should be getting the gig.
Caller on SEN tonight had the idea the Dogs and Dees play for a cup or medal in honor of Two greats Whitten and Stynes.
Norf could also be a participant. Interesting the A- League got 22 thousand and the NRL game between the Bunnies and Dogs got the highest regular season crowd since the 60's .
They could and should get the RCH involved also.
Food for thought

Maddog37
31-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Hi Peter,

This may sound petty but at the end of the game when the players give out footys they all walk to the fence on level one and give them to kids etc.

Any chance they could boot a few into the Dogs members on level two at some stage? My two kids always ask me why they never get a chance and there is plenty of other kids up there too. The club knows where our members sit so it should be pretty easy to direct the players.

Once again sorry to sound petty especially after such a good performance yesterday.

Cheers.

Murphy'sLore
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi Peter,

Kudos to the marketing department for the personalised message thanking us for turning up to the game. Of course as it turned out, it was our pleasure ;) But these little touches help to make the supporters feel appreciated.

Loving your spots with Jon Faine on Friday mornings too, keep up the good work!

BRG1993
22-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Hi Peter,

A couple of months back news came out that the AFL is doing a Feasibility Study into a Boutique Stadium Upgrade with grounds such as Punt Rd and Optus Oval being mentioned as the main possibilities.

It got me thinking the Whitten Oval would be a great place to upgrade especially when the West Footscray Train Station currently under reconstruction and a ton of new car parking will be available and in the next few years a new tram line from Docklands to Footscray is being constructed.

What I would like to know is has the AFL come to you or have you gone to them and put the suggestion forward for the Whitten Oval to be upgraded to a Boutique Stadium?

LostDoggy
17-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi Peter,

Couple of points re your statements on Priority Picks today. Given the position we are in I was extremely surprised by the timing of what is clearly the clubs position on Priority Picks. My understanding previously was that the club was likely to approach the AFL and ask for support on a Priority Pick given how badly we've been rolled in our recompense for the Ward and Harbrow departures. Couple of points on Priority Picks:

Hawthorn and Collingwood were massively assisted to win flags out of PP's (Roughead/Buddy and Thomas/Pendles respectively)
GWS and Gold Coast will win flags out of PP's/pick advantages given

I feel this position, so strongly presented, was very very poor timing for our club. I don't 100% agree with PP's but we are in a position where we could use them, other clubs have been granted them so its not like we would be looking at an uneven keel. We are now suggtesing we don't believe in or want the recompense the system is set up to provide.

This was foolish, irresponsible timing IMO but I'd be interested to understand why the club chose to be so vocal on this issue at the time that it has. It makes no sense to me but I'm happy and very eager to hear your thoughts otherwise? Think we need to fight for the clubs best outcome on this and I don't see how this could be it??

Thanks
Superdog

boydogs
17-06-2013, 11:09 PM
I don't 100% agree with PP's but we are in a position where we could use them

Peter is leading the charge for equalisation in the AFL, getting greedy would ruin his credibility

The Underdog
17-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Superdog, I find your point about Collingwood & Hawthorn being massively assisted to win flags out of PP's to be disingenuous. Certainly they didn't deserve them in a wider context but they were the rules of the time. We had twice as many PP's as them under the same rules, rules which have now changed

mighty_west
18-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Superdog, I find your point about Collingwood & Hawthorn being massively assisted to win flags out of PP's to be disingenuous. Certainly they didn't deserve them in a wider context but they were the rules of the time. We had twice as many PP's as them under the same rules, rules which have now changed

Exactly right, the Pies and Hawks chose well with theirs PP's which is good recruiting on their behalf, we selected Farren Ray and Tommy Williams as our extra selections, Cooney and Griff would have been selected even without our priority pick, Melbourne have also had many first round and priority picks but have selected poorly. We could have selected David Mundy, Beau Waters or Sam Fisher but went for Ray instead, we could have gone the Franklin/Lewis double but went for Griffen and Williams instead.

Peter Gordon
22-06-2013, 12:04 AM
I thought I should address the assertion that my comments to Jon Ralph last week when he rang me to ask my reaction to Melbourne's request for special assistance including priority picks constituted a mistake of epic proportions.

First, let me say that as a general rule, I am not a man who likes to do things by halves. And when I make a mistake (not that I'm conceding this was, ) I like it to be BIG....even of epic proportions.

Second, I can't help it if I genuinely don't believe we will get beaten again this season, and accordingly, it's hard for me to see how a case for priority picks can arise!

But thirdly, and a bit more seriously, you'll appreciate that in a long discussion with any journalist, he or she will frame the article as he/she and the editors want to. I'm sure you don't think I rang him because I had decided to call for the abolition of priority picks. It is nevertheless completely true that I hold the view that the sooner we get the competition to a point where everyone pays an equal amount in TPP, the draft is untampered with and the capacity of each club to pay the full TPP is guaranteed, the better off we'll all be.

Equalisation policy in the AFL is economically complex and highly charged politically. It is a matter of seminal importance to the future of our club and profound decisions will be made on it this year. It's occupied a lot of my time this year and will continue to. We'll get the best result we can.

I enjoy reading these posts, and at the start of the year thought I could give some regular feedback. But this topic is a good example of an area where giving regular detailed answers on a public blog might be counter-productive to the best outcome for the club in the actual debate.

Which is my way of trying to say nicely...I'm not going to enter into further discussion on it here. But I promise you we're all doing the best we can. I respect all rational views especially from obviously committed supporters on this site and I appreciate that my approach might not be the only rational one to a given issue.

Signing off now in the fervent hope we'll have turned the tables on the Tigers this time tomorrow night!

Cheers.

bulldogtragic
22-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Full of CLASS PG.

LostDoggy
22-06-2013, 12:33 AM
I thought I should address the assertion that my comments to Jon Ralph last week when he rang me to ask my reaction to Melbourne's request for special assistance including priority picks constituted a mistake of epic proportions.

First, let me say that as a general rule, I am not a man who likes to do things by halves. And when I make a mistake (not that I'm conceding this was, ) I like it to be BIG....even of epic proportions.

Second, I can't help it if I genuinely don't believe we will get beaten again this season, and accordingly, it's hard for me to see how a case for priority picks can arise!

But thirdly, and a bit more seriously, you'll appreciate that in a long discussion with any journalist, he or she will frame the article as he/she and the editors want to. I'm sure you don't think I rang him because I had decided to call for the abolition of priority picks. It is nevertheless completely true that I hold the view that the sooner we get the competition to a point where everyone pays an equal amount in TPP, the draft is untampered with and the capacity of each club to pay the full TPP is guaranteed, the better off we'll all be.

Equalisation policy in the AFL is economically complex and highly charged politically. It is a matter of seminal importance to the future of our club and profound decisions will be made on it this year. It's occupied a lot of my time this year and will continue to. We'll get the best result we can.

I enjoy reading these posts, and at the start of the year thought I could give some regular feedback. But this topic is a good example of an area where giving regular detailed answers on a public blog might be counter-productive to the best outcome for the club in the actual debate.

Which is my way of trying to say nicely...I'm not going to enter into further discussion on it here. But I promise you we're all doing the best we can. I respect all rational views especially from obviously committed supporters on this site and I appreciate that my approach might not be the only rational one to a given issue.

Signing off now in the fervent hope we'll have turned the tables on the Tigers this time tomorrow night!

Cheers.

OK. Firstly, I second Bulldogtragic. Class response, fair response and I thank you for giving one to someone who was being something of a pain online....:o

First part made me laugh and the rest I respect as a fair and balanced response to your position. Happy to agree to disagree as to whether we should be pursuing the option of a priority pick publically and most here seem to disagree with me anyway so I'll move on from this topic. Its a good example of where you can't and can't share detail on a public forum so fair call.

Thanks for taking my comments on board and responding as you have Peter.

Respect :)

FrediKanoute
22-06-2013, 07:42 AM
I hold the view that the sooner we get the competition to a point where everyone pays an equal amount in TPP, the draft is untampered with and the capacity of each club to pay the full TPP is guaranteed, the better off we'll all be.

I can't disagree with this. The last few years of expansion teams, draft pick concessions, players being stolen etc has made a mockery of the drafting and recruiting process. The point of priority picks was to give a leg up to underperforming teams and allow them to move back up the ladder quickly, but at the expense of an even competition. Personally, I'd rather we had an uncompromised draft.

Go_Dogs
22-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Great post Peter, very much appreciated.

boydogs
22-06-2013, 05:33 PM

How good is WOOF! :D

It is nevertheless completely true that I hold the view that the sooner we get the competition to a point where everyone pays an equal amount in TPP, the draft is untampered with and the capacity of each club to pay the full TPP is guaranteed, the better off we'll all be.

In your view, what constitutes "untampered with"?

In a draft setup, as opposed to the recruiting zones of the past, there has to be an order - not every club can take the same selections. Would untampered with mean a lottery to determine the selection order?

I applaud your leadership on equalisation and not getting greedy & short term with the priority pick just because we're some chance of getting one this year, however I still believe the old "every team has played a prelim since 2001" is a good sign of a healthy competition and wouldn't have been possible without drafting assistance to the clubs at the bottom of the ladder.

I don't mind the priority pick but I do support the AFL's changes to have it awarded case by case, I think it does take away some of the tanking incentive and avoids picks being awarded to sides just having a down year.

I would be much more concerned with Father/Son, or expansion team concessions, though those are probably behind us now. The PSD is a concern though, Sydney being able to put a price on Tippett's head and get him for nothing in terms of trading in a premiership year was terrible, though probably more to do with the salary cap concessions.

Free agency is the biggie, we've already seen a move away from Port & Melbourne and towards Collingwood, if the AFL removes the compensation as has been spoken about this will create a huge gulf between the haves & the have nots.

Chicago1
23-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Cheers.

Read the sig... :p

bulldogtragic
04-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Second, I can't help it if I genuinely don't believe we will get beaten again this season, and accordingly, it's hard for me to see how a case for priority picks can arise! .

Edit (10/07/2013):

I think it's prudent to explain this original post (see below). Whilst I stand by the sentiment and my right to ask (but not necessarily get answered), I would like to contextualise my questioning of the decision to comment on Priority Picks at the time you did.

Whilst I was quite young, I look fondly at your original stint in the top job. Whilst trying not to overcompensate, I respect your intellect and business acumen. I think you have some very serious 'Cred' for stepping in over the last few years when the SOS when out. I think your appointment was just reward for faith shown. By me simply questioning one issue is by no means even close to being a reflection on my broader respect for you, it is certainly not the consensus of absolutely every poster here, or member of the club.

I think it's a seriously good thing you engage this small band of fiercly loyal cyber doggie members. But I'm sure when you took the oath of office, you would have expected a few questions from time to time, taking the bitter with the better if you will, such is the nature of the job. I think you have the undrstanding of the landscape and importantly the intellect and gift of the gab to answer the question without taking too much offence (or at least I hope so!). Personally, I think you could very easily ignore my comment, as an anonymous Internet poster, I don't command a response. But I think it's healthy to ask questions when necessary as well as give unqualified support year in and year out to the WBFC.

Im certain you're working on a higher level, with more information and with a gameplan that may not be evident to myself and others with the same concern. But that shouldn't stop me from asking the question. So please read my rant below and focus on the theme of Priority Picks and the WBFC in 2013, the rest is a distraction. I've posted this weeks ago, so I won't run away and delete it, rather qualify it better as I hope I have done.

Original Post: (4/7/2013):

From 3 months ago:

"(From the Hun) THE WESTERN Bulldogs are in for short-term pain as it continues to rebuild, president Peter Gordon admits.

Saying the club "probably won't win the flag this year" and that it may not make finals, Gordon conceded the Dogs had made mistakes in the past.

"Some games we might struggle to score freely. We've made some mistakes along the way, and we're going to make some more," Gordon said at Tuesday night's season launch.

"We are rebuilding. We probably won't win the flag this year. There's even the prospect that we won't play off. We've come off a tough year, and we'll face more challenges this year, and in the future.

"Managing the balancing act between hope and expectation and reality is not always easy."

The Bulldogs won just five games in 2012 and Gordon said perseverance is required of the club's fans.

"We will continue to preach the virtues of patience to the football community, whilst inside the club don't believe for one minute that we are patient. We are not. We are impatient," he said.

"We are constantly dissatisfied. We are constantly looking for another one percent edge in everything we do."

Gordon admitted the club will often go into games as the underdog, but insists that won't affect team morale.

"We'll go into each game saying and believing that, ‘yes, we are going to win', even if it looks unlikely and even if it is unlikely," he said.

"At the same time, we want to be able to enjoy the wins … without having someone telling us 'keep a lid on it'.

"And when we lose games, even if we lose sometimes by a substantial margin, and we sometimes will, I want our people … to look the press and the cameras in the eye and say, 'we weren't good enough today, we're fighting on, we may not be quite good enough yet [but] we're going to get there', without them being expected to look like there's been a death in the family."

With the greatest of respect, we look to our club's supreme leader for how we should construct our thoughts about where we are, and where we are going to. In March you told us something most clubs don't, that is big losses are coming in a development year. 12 weeks later after three wins against teams in the bottom half (at the time), you come on to WOOF and announce you "genuinely don't believe we will get beaten again this season".

How do you justify such strongly opposite views in such a short time? You then justify your position for not wanting the WBFC to have a Priority Pick with this confidence you didn't have 12 weeks ago, in which time we were beaten 9 times, with some big margins.

From your public comments, we have since been thrashed by Richmond and embarrassed by Melbourne. We can hardly go to the AFL now. Whether we had a chance at a PP or not, we are now condemned to not getting one. This must be a tactical error.

I was disappointed at the start of the year to hear your comments. But I could respect where you were coming from. I am much more disappointed with our current circumstance, and feel mistakes have been made. If we members need to show respect, patience and consistency in re-signing each year, I think it's only fair to be consistent with us members too. Telling us we will get beaten, sometimes badly - then 12 weeks later after 9 losses - we won't lose a game. Which you then action by ensuring we won't get a PP.

We all make mistakes I guess...

Maddog37
04-07-2013, 05:55 PM
If i may ask, Where is the post Peter said we will not be beaten again?

bulldogtragic
04-07-2013, 05:56 PM
If i may ask, Where is the post Peter said we will not be beaten again?
Post 192, paragraph three. Just up on this page. :)

Maddog37
04-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Post 192, paragraph three. Just up on this page. :)

So you are air dinkum with your post or have I missed the humour?

soupman
04-07-2013, 06:05 PM
BT, not having a go here, but you were the first to respond Peter Gordons very post you just referred to with the following:

Full of CLASS PG.

Then just down the page you pick apart the same post as being inconsistent with previously stated views.

You even, somewhat ironically, ask the following:

How do you justify such strongly opposite views in such a short time?

I guess you're right. We all make mistakes.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2013, 06:13 PM
BT, not having a go here, but you were the first to respond Peter Gordons very post you just referred to with the following:

Then just down the page you pick apart the same post as being inconsistent with previously stated views.

You even, somewhat ironically, ask the following:

I guess you're right. We all make mistakes.
Fair point SM, if I'm putting my head up I expected a knock. I indeed did give him a well done for coming onto WOOF and explaining himself. That is full of class, I'm not sure how many AFL presidents would connect with a small band of cyber members. But... I never said I agreed with him. Splitting hairs I guess.

You can always change your mind, but generally there is sound reasoning for doing so. So as an example, Kevin Rudd made one comment (numerous times) and changed his mind when it was patently obvious JG was going to lose. Losing 9 put of 12 games with some hidings is not 2 years of dire news polls. Quite the opposite.

And it's not just changing minds, it's then actioning this misplaced confidence which has secured the club no PP. I'm not asking him to stand down, rather consider improved consistency in corporate messages and club positioning.

Ozza
04-07-2013, 06:20 PM
You do realise that he was CLEARLY being tongue in cheek when he said we won't be beaten again this year, don't you?

Bulldog4life
04-07-2013, 06:23 PM
You do realise that he was CLEARLY being tongue in cheek when he said we won't be beaten again this year, don't you?

Do not think he did realize.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2013, 06:26 PM
So you're saying he is still of the opinion we are a 'basket case' but we don't deserve a PP.... I can see the humour in that, even more so after the weekend...

Even if it was, that does not make up for the fact we are third last, beaten by second last and desperate for a PP.

LostDoggy
04-07-2013, 06:40 PM
With the greatest of respect, we look to our club's supreme leader for how we should construct our thoughts about where we are, and where we are going to. In March you told us something most clubs don't, that is big losses are coming in a development year. 12 weeks later after three wins against teams in the bottom half (at the time), you come on to WOOF and announce you "genuinely don't believe we will get beaten again this season".

How do you justify such strongly opposite views in such a short time? You then justify your position for not wanting the WBFC to have a Priority Pick with this confidence you didn't have 12 weeks ago, in which time we were beaten 9 times, with some big margins.

From your public comments, we have since been thrashed by Richmond and embarrassed by Melbourne. We can hardly go to the AFL now. Whether we had a chance at a PP or not, we are now condemned to not getting one. This must be a tactical error.

I was disappointed at the start of the year to hear your comments. But I could respect where you were coming from. I am much more disappointed with our current circumstance, and feel mistakes have been made. If we members need to show respect, patience and consistency in re-signing each year, I think it's only fair to be consistent with us members too. Telling us we will get beaten, sometimes badly - then 12 weeks later after 9 losses - we won't lose a game. Which you then action by ensuring we won't get a PP.

We all make mistakes I guess...

Taking his comment a bit out of context I think, he's just saying he follows football and the bulldogs with his heart, so each week he thinks we will win. He's the President of the club he has to have a business type view of things but that doesn't mean he can't maintain his supporter's belief.

Personally I was similar, at the start of the year I thought we were in for an average year, yet somehow every week I go into games thinking that we are going to win.

Whether no one should get a priority pick or a few clubs should is purely an opinion.
I would also rather no one get a priority pick. But that's just my opinion.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Taking his comment a bit out of context I think, he's just saying he follows football and the bulldogs with his heart, so each week he thinks we will win. He's the President of the club he has to have a business type view of things but that doesn't mean he can't maintain his supporter's belief.

Personally I was similar, at the start of the year I thought we were in for an average year, yet somehow every week I go into games thinking that we are going to win.

Whether no one should get a priority pick or a few clubs should is purely an opinion.
I would also rather no one get a priority pick. But that's just my opinion.
Fair point, we are all entitled to have an opinion and be listened to if we're not being rude. That's one thing.

But when you are a club president, of a club with limited on field talent, and many off field issues and the AFL rules allow that your club may be given Tom Boyd or a first rounder for free.... Some would argue that you should Keep your opinions to yourself and let the AFL decide to gift you a future superstar.

boydogs
04-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Some would argue that you should Keep your opinions to yourself and let the AFL decide to gift you a future superstar.

Firstly, please try and keep this respectful, you've been on a run of biting sarcasm lately which is fine but if you're expecting to engage the club President please try not to take the piss out of him with remarks like the one I have quoted.

Secondly, equalisation is a broader issue than whether the Western Bulldogs are assigned a priority draft pick in 2013. Peter Gordon has taken a long-term view of this issue, and before this season even started. His submission to the AFL on this issue has convinced them to head to the US to learn more about they go about things, which could mean big things for our club. Compromising that by taking a selfish short-term view on an isolated issue would be like eating Adam's apple.

Thirdly, there are a set of guidelines that the AFL use when determining whether or not to assign a club a priority pick, and whether or not their President believes priority picks should be a long term part of equalisation policy is not one of them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-21/afl-punts-priority-pick/3842838

bornadog
04-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Firstly, please try and keep this respectful, you've been on a run of biting sarcasm lately which is fine but if you're expecting to engage the club President please try not to take the piss out of him with remarks like the one I have quoted.

Secondly, equalisation is a broader issue than whether the Western Bulldogs are assigned a priority draft pick in 2013. Peter Gordon has taken a long-term view of this issue, and before this season even started. His submission to the AFL on this issue has convinced them to head to the US to learn more about they go about things, which could mean big things for our club. Compromising that by taking a selfish short-term view on an isolated issue would be like eating Adam's apple.

Thirdly, there are a set of guidelines that the AFL use when determining whether or not to assign a club a priority pick, and whether or not their President believes priority picks should be a long term part of equalisation policy is not one of them.

Good post agree whole heartedly

bulldogtragic
04-07-2013, 11:48 PM

Fair cop GG, very poor language used in my highlighted comment, i cut and pasted that sentence, but thats no excuse. Happy to be pulled up as it does not reflect my intention. Happy to see those comments expunged from the record.

But we disagree on the other points.

boydogs
05-07-2013, 12:34 AM
But we disagree on the other points.

Have a read of what Peter is trying to achieve with regards to blockbuster fixturing, stadium deals and revenue distribution.

Think about the facts that we have less than 30,000 members this year, were passed by North Melbourne last year who sell 4 games a season, and that Tasmania are looking for a club to play 8 games down there.

There is an urgent need to put us on sustainable financial footing. Part of Peter's equalisation approach has been wanting an untampered draft, he can't back away from that just because we had a bad week on the field and lost to Melbourne.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Articles/General%202013/Final210213_WesternBulldogsEqualisationPaperSubmission.pdf

LostDoggy
05-07-2013, 05:21 AM

That's the way I read it as well. If PG is going to get grilled on here and especially over the disparities between a tongue in cheek remark and a press statement from the start of the year then we might lose the privilege altogether.

LostDoggy
05-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Think this thread has really gone to shit. Surely it was aimed at PG, and not for discussion between members. If a post is derogatory/inflammatory then perhaps it should be deleted, but numerous posters have asked questions and now they're all lost in the wash a number of pages back.

Hotdog60
05-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Think this thread has really gone to shit. Surely it was aimed at PG, and not for discussion between members. If a post is derogatory/inflammatory then perhaps it should be deleted, but numerous posters have asked questions and now they're all lost in the wash a number of pages back.

Agreed, it's been nice hearing responses from Peter and this thread should be about questions and answers from the poster and PG not with each other and maybe some solid guidelines on what gets posted so the lines of communication don't get closed. But maybe that has already happened.
And I'm no better than adding this response.

Hotdog60
29-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Peter can I ask how the mission to see the NFL went.
I think if the AFL can get to the 'Any given Sunday' would great for the competition. I just watched the video on the Bulldogs site and I and all Bulldog supporters I'm sure would like to know how it went.
I realise that some things will need to be kept behind closed doors at this stage but if we could get some sort of feedback it would be nice.

FrediKanoute
01-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Hi Peter

I have ummed and ahhed about the best way to ask this question so hear goes. The ASADA investigation of Essendon is still ongoing, but regardless of the results it would appear that there was a clear governance issue in terms of the Board having complete knowledge and understanding of the extent of the supplements program being employed by the football department.

Bearing in mind that no official decision regarding culpability has been made, what governance processes have the Bulldogs in place to ensure that our supplements program is compliant with WADA and ASADA regulations?

Thanks

Fredi

G-Mo77
04-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Just want to get this question answered. Hopefully Peter does have some info on it.

Equalisation. Big discussion right now. I know you've been in discussion about it and Demetriou is currently in the US to find a better solution. In all these discussion has Salary cap been brought up at all? How certain teams can have more money to spend than others mystifies me. Last years Premiers should be working hard just to keep their winning side together, instead they were able to land the top Free agent in the off season and pay close to $1M per year by the way he kicked 6 goals on us today.

IMO if you have an even salary cap across the board with absolutely no loop holes you have a much more even competition.

Eastdog
04-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Just want to get this question answered. Hopefully Peter does have some info on it.

Equalisation. Big discussion right now. I know you've been in discussion about it and Demetriou is currently in the US to find a better solution. In all these discussion has Salary cap been brought up at all? How certain teams can have more money to spend than others mystifies me. Last years Premiers should be working hard just to keep their winning side together, instead they were able to land the top Free agent in the off season and pay close to $1M per year by the way he kicked 6 goals on us today.

IMO if you have an even salary cap across the board with absolutely no loop holes you have a much more even competition.

The thing that worries me is that we do not want to become too dependant on the AFL and try and stand on our own two feet as best as we can do. Clubs that have done well financially shouldn't be punished to help clubs that haven't done well with their finances. What are your thoughts on this? I can see both sides of the debate.

Peter Gordon
05-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Evening Folks,

Thanks for your questions. In all the circumstances, I feel I should post a report about the trip on the club website later in the week so that all members get the same access to it. I'll try to deal with as many of these issues as I can.

Thanks for the questions and the critiques. I've always found that most criticism of me tends to be very well founded.

And now, in the battle against jetlag, I'm off to watch the replay of the eagles game!

Cheers.

Ghost Dog
05-08-2013, 08:17 PM
That will cheer you up! Welcome back Peter!

bornadog
05-08-2013, 11:35 PM

Eddie has been reading your posts

McGuire said while wealthy clubs realised they needed to hand over some revenue, the league needed to continue growing the financial pie.

He said fixing stadium deals for poorer clubs and growing revenue were just as important as getting into a welfare mentality.

But he used the example of the Western Bulldogs' loss to Sydney to stress his point about salary cap and draft discrepancies.

"This is a multi-headed beast. We need to look at all the elements that go into it. If the wealthy clubs have to put more into the pot, that's OK, but don't stop us from making money at the same time,'' he said.

"I have always argued the opportunity to succeed comes from being successful on the ground and that involves getting rid of the perversions in the draft and salary cap.

"You only have to look at the weekend. The Bulldogs were in the game against Sydney and then (Shane) Mumford and (Kurt) Tippett went berserk. Take them out of that side and put Callan Ward and Jarrod Harbrow in for the Dogs and it is a different story.''

Doc26
06-08-2013, 12:48 AM
In all the circumstances, I feel I should post a report about the trip on the club website later in the week so that all members get the same access to it. I'll try to deal with as many of these issues as I can.

We really need the momentum to last off the back of the honchos US equalisation visit. There is nothing more important for us than striking a fair arrangement to secure our future given the growing inequities the league faces. And to steal Don Chipp's party line from the 70s, Peter do keep on 'keeping the bastards honest' with this. Loving your work, and the Club's, for driving this debate and keeping it on course. I very much look forward to reading your summary of the trip and where you see the next steps.

On a separate note, and to BD's extract above, I realise that the Sydney Swans salary cap concessions are Eddie's hobby horse, legitimately, but good on him for highlighting the adverse effect the league's expansion has had on the Bulldogs.

"You only have to look at the weekend. The Bulldogs were in the game against Sydney and then (Shane) Mumford and (Kurt) Tippett went berserk. Take them out of that side and put Callan Ward and Jarrod Harbrow in for the Dogs and it is a different story.''

KT31
06-08-2013, 12:55 AM
Evening Folks,

Thanks for your questions. In all the circumstances, I feel I should post a report about the trip on the club website later in the week so that all members get the same access to it. I'll try to deal with as many of these issues as I can.

Thanks for the questions and the critiques. I've always found that most criticism of me tends to be very well founded.

And now, in the battle against jetlag, I'm off to watch the replay of the eagles game!

Cheers.

Welcome back Peter it has been a while, for a moment there I thought we may have lost you because of a couple of over zealous posters.
One thing about Woof is we may look like we disagree and argue but one thing for sure we care about the Doggies more than the majority of supporters.
Hope the trip went well and it can have an impact on us becoming a better and a Grand final winning team.

Pickenitup
19-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Gday Peter I walked Past You In Bridge Rd yesterday I was wearing my Bulldogs New era Cap and I wished I stopped you and said what a Fantastic Job You and the whole club are doing Gee It is Great To be a Bulldogs fan right now.

Bulldog4life
19-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Gday Peter I walked Past You In Bridge Rd yesterday I was wearing my Bulldogs New era Cap and I wished I stopped you and said what a Fantastic Job You and the whole club are doing Gee It is Great To be a Bulldogs fan right now.

Great conversation starter when you see someone wearing the Bulldog colours.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Thank You Peter! For having the courge to say what 100% of people outside Essendon actually believe!

From the Hun:

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has backed the AFL in its war with Essendon ahead of this afternoon's meeting between club figureheads and the AFL Commission.

Gordon, a lawyer, said mediation was badly needed in the poisonous standoff between the league and the club in the wake of the long-running supplements scandal.

The commission will brief clubs presidents - including Essendon's Paul Little - at a meeting at AFL House from 3pm today.

Essendon coach James Hird lodged a writ against the league in the Supreme Court this morning.

"I do think it's time that we, as the other clubs, make it clear that not only do we support the AFL but we expect the AFL to do its job to protect the integrity of the game, which from my point of view that's what they are doing,'' Gordon said on ABC radio today.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226702085001

LostDoggy
22-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Agree wholeheartedly with bulldogtragic, in the past few months, every time you've opened your mouth in public you've shown the entire football world how much the Western Bulldogs Football Club values honesty, integrity and fairness without sounding the least bit smug, so thanks heaps from the fans!!

LongWait
22-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Agree wholeheartedly with bulldogtragic, in the past few months, every time you've opened your mouth in public you've shown the entire football world how much the Western Bulldogs Football Club values honesty, integrity and fairness without sounding the least bit smug, so thanks heaps from the fans!!

x 2!

Mofra
22-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Thank You Peter! For having the courage to say what 100% of people outside Essendon actually believe!
More courage than anyone at Essendon.
Have to be happy with the way the club has conducted itself this year - on multiple fronts.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Hi Peter,

I might be jumping the gun, but if the 2012 premiers get handouts to land the two best key forwards, we may never win a premiership. With an extra $900,000 we could buy marquee players too. This is just so unfair. The AFL doesn't listen to people like us on WOOF, but I hope you fight the good fight on this front.

Thanks.