PDA

View Full Version : Lukas Markovic?

GVGjr
06-01-2013, 10:47 AM
How do you think we will use Lukas Markovic this year?

With Lake gone I'm tending to think he should be the full back rather than the spare parts player role we have tended to give him.

The temptation is to throw some of the youngsters like Talia and Roberts into the key positions but I hope they have to earn it.

Markovic needs to step up this year and hold down the FB position.

SonofScray
06-01-2013, 11:01 AM
I have him as the first option for FB. Playing more of the lock down role rather than what we've seen from Lake in his time as a FB which makes a lot of sense. Hopefully between he and Morris they can provide some strong foundations and allow the others in the back six to find some chemistry.

Bulldog4life
06-01-2013, 11:10 AM
I thought the coaching staff were grooming Roughy for the full back position.

GVGjr
06-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I thought the coaching staff were grooming Roughy for the full back position.

FB and CHB which would allow Williams to play as a forward.

Who would you rather play FB? Roughead or Markovic?

Bulldog4life
06-01-2013, 11:56 AM

Not sure GVGjr to be honest. I was surprised when they started playing Roughy in the backline in the first place but he did quite well. I suppose it just depends on match ups on the day in regards to which possie Roughy plays each week in the backline.

AndrewP6
06-01-2013, 11:56 AM
I think FB is his go. Still not convinced on Roughy as a FB, I would be alright with Marko there.

Dry Rot
06-01-2013, 01:04 PM

As far away from this guy as possible, I hope.

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/04/01/1226315/737698-josh-kennedy.jpg

Eastdog
06-01-2013, 01:11 PM

I'm not sure how Tom Williams will go in the forward line. Has he played there a bit before? He does though have height which is advantage if you play forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-01-2013, 03:26 PM
I know Markovic is the 'senior' defender down there now, but I don't have a lot of faith in his ability to shut down quality forwards. I think having both Roughead and Markovic as key defenders could be difficult, given both are very slow off the mark. They are, in a sense, the same 'type' of defender -- but Roughead's already bigger/better IMO.

I'd prefer we go with Talia/Roberts, especially if Morris is also back in the side. If, however, Morris is out then that's when Markovic will need to play.

The Pie Man
06-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Coach supported him publicly last year so he's a chance to feature based on that.

Prefer Roughead at FB - Markovic to provide cover for injuries only. He's made the most of his ability to just play senior AFL footy, so kudos for eking out a career to date. Won't die wondering, so you never know.

Happy Days
06-01-2013, 05:21 PM
As far away from this guy as possible, I hope.

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/04/01/1226315/737698-josh-kennedy.jpg

Didn't think he could get much further away from him than he has been the lat couple of times he's played on him

Mitcha
06-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Didn't think he could get much further away from him than he has been the lat couple of times he's played on him
A bit tough considering the appalling lack of accountability of our midfielders in recent games against WCE, no world beater Marko but will give what he's got.

LostDoggy
06-01-2013, 06:18 PM
A bit tough considering the appalling lack of accountability of our midfielders in recent games against WCE, no world beater Marko but will give what he's got.

Agree with that. Our midfield has been very one paced . Hopefully the return of Cooney will go some way to fixing that.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-01-2013, 07:20 PM

I would only have Williams as a stop gap forward preferring him at CHB.
Markovic is at best serviceable as a key defender with Roughead having more talent. Markovic could take a third opposition tall forward.

FrediKanoute
06-01-2013, 09:27 PM
I would only have Williams as a stop gap forward preferring him at CHB.
Markovic is at best serviceable as a key defender with Roughead having more talent. Markovic could take a third opposition tall forward.

This about sums it up for me. Two key posts held by Williams and Roughy, with Marco taking the third tall.. He is minding a spot until Talia/Roberts/???? can take over

Eastdog
06-01-2013, 09:31 PM
This about sums it up for me. Two key posts held by Williams and Roughy, with Marco taking the third tall.. He is minding a spot until Talia/Roberts/???? can take over

Would Williams be good up forward as someone mentioned FrediK.

SonofScray
06-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Williams showed a bit as a forward. If Marko performs at FB, our options with the forward line improve. His form will be a real key to team balance.

Eastdog
06-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Williams showed a bit as a forward. If Marko performs at FB, our options with the forward line improve. His form will be a real key to team balance.

How should we organise our Forward line in 2013 SoS.

GVGjr
06-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Could Markovic be used as the FB and Roughead as the CHB?
This might potentially allow us to play just one ruckman using Roughead as the back up. His CHB position would be filled by Williams when Minson is getting a spell.

Eastdog
06-01-2013, 10:55 PM
This might potentially allow us to play just one ruckman using Roughead as the back up. His CHB position would be filled by Williams when Minson is getting a spell.

Was getting rid of Lake a good decision GVGjr could be be regretting it.

westbulldog
06-01-2013, 11:36 PM
He has been serviceable so far but has been torched by Kennedy, perhaps that has been partly the midfield's fault. I'd say 2013 is his make or break year.

Mantis
07-01-2013, 09:23 AM
In racing terms I would say... Prefer others.

But he will have to play games if Williams & Murphy play forward as we won't be able to have only Morris marshaling the troops.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-01-2013, 04:16 PM

A bit tough to use Roughead at both CHB and as the back up ruckman. I would prefer to see Campbell as the second string ruckman. Roughead eventually would be the ideal replacement for Minson, once our key defensive posts become more settled. Hopefully Talia will step up into the role in defence given more experience. Roberts looks to have more upside than Williams at CHF.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-01-2013, 06:09 PM
I thought Williams looked good at CHF, but I would prefer to at least start him as our CHB.

GVGjr
07-01-2013, 07:39 PM
In racing terms I would say... Prefer others.

But he will have to play games if Williams & Murphy play forward as we won't be able to have only Morris marshaling the troops.

Do we have others in the stable?

Mantis
07-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Do we have others in the stable?

Happy to give a few of our un-tried colts (Talia, Roberts, Roughy) more opportunity than proven plodders.

LostDoggy
08-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Still happy with the Lake decision but namesake is only a stop gap.

Eastdog
08-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Still happy with the Lake decision but namesake is only a stop gap.

Overall the decision to trade Lake probably wasn't the worst as he is past his best now. It will be great seeing Dale Morris back in our defence. The question is can Morris recapture his best form?

FrediKanoute
08-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Would Williams be good up forward as someone mentioned FrediK.

I think its a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Yes he's a big guy who is mobile and can hold a mark, but I'm not convinced he has the smarts to play in the forward line. Given that we have Jones and Cordy as talls earmarked to play there and neither of them are particularly good at reading the play, Williams wouldn't help in that situation.

I would prefer Williams playing back helping stem the flow and stop the leakage of goals. He is still the best option on guys like Buddy and Kennedy.

Eastdog
08-01-2013, 08:20 PM
I think its a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Yes he's a big guy who is mobile and can hold a mark, but I'm not convinced he has the smarts to play in the forward line. Given that we have Jones and Cordy as talls earmarked to play there and neither of them are particularly good at reading the play, Williams wouldn't help in that situation.

I would prefer Williams playing back helping stem the flow and stop the leakage of goals. He is still the best option on guys like Buddy and Kennedy.

Yeah I prefer him playing in the defence and not up forward. Who will be the main FF for us. Id say Jones is more a CHF player. Cordy is more like a another ruckman and not really a full forward.

LostDoggy
08-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Overall the decision to trade Lake probably wasn't the worst as he is past his best now. It will be great seeing Dale Morris back in our defence. The question is can Morris recapture his best form?

I don't think so but he would still be one of our best backs this year at 70% of his top level.

Eastdog
08-01-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't think so but he would still be one of our best backs this year at 70% of his top level.

In leaning more towards he won't get back to his best as well. Cooney is another that most likely won't get back to his best with his knees giving him trouble. A major injury and that really affects the rest of a player's career.

DragzLS1
09-01-2013, 02:34 PM
I can see Williams being a very good CHB for us and think he plays his best football there. Running capacity and speed for such a big guy is exceptional. Needs Williams in the backline with Morris, Talia and Markovic.. Talia will be better then his brother at Adelaide with in 3 years hopefully :D

Dazza
14-01-2013, 08:41 PM
I'd probably prefer we gave Austin more chances over Marko. Thought he showed a bit and probably has a higher ceiling than Markovic.

Rocco Jones
14-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Happy to give a few of our un-tried colts (Talia, Roberts, Roughy) more opportunity than proven plodders.

Me too. The only reason I would consider Markovic is to help Morris marshal the troops which you mentioned.

LostDoggy
14-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Talia is all set to step it up after a full pre-season and his taste of the top grade last year.

I think he will be our first choice FB this year, with Roughead at CHB and Markovic / Austin as the next options. Morris will hopefully be back and somewhere near some good form in the early stages of the year. If Morris / Roughead / Talia are all fit and playing well, then they have to be our first choice options down back.

Williams at CHF needs to be perservered with - we dont have many other options there. He could turn into a very effective swingman for us if he can show abit up forward as we know what he will offer down back.

soupman
14-01-2013, 10:04 PM
I'd probably prefer we gave Austin more chances over Marko. Thought he showed a bit and probably has a higher ceiling than Markovic.

I agree. I also see Austin as more capable of playing on a variety of players, while Markovic is better suited to the big slower guys. I think Talia will take that role, and we don't need two of that type.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-01-2013, 12:50 PM
We have much more and better options at CHB, including Markovic, than CHF so Williams at CHF for mine.
I believe he can go to another level especially as a CHF because of his natural abilities and untapped creativity if he can adjust to CHF. he was shackled learning the craft at CHB by needing to negate and sometimes looking lost and unable to stop his opponent. The crowd let him know how hopeless he looked. Yet at CHF he is the one making the play and his opponent has to stop his athleticism and height. If he gets confident he could be really something. His kicking action is sound. That goal he got by 'escaping' from the backline, running along our point/goal line and reading the ball off the pack shows he can be more than a mark and kick forward.

strebla
15-01-2013, 01:07 PM
We have much more and better options at CHB, including Markovic, than CHF so Williams at CHF for mine.
I believe he can go to another level especially as a CHF because of his natural abilities and untapped creativity if he can adjust to CHF. he was shackled learning the craft at CHB by needing to negate and sometimes looking lost and unable to stop his opponent. The crowd let him know how hopeless he looked. Yet at CHF he is the one making the play and his opponent has to stop his athleticism and height. If he gets confident he could be really something. His kicking action is sound. That goal he got by 'escaping' from the backline, running along our point/goal line and reading the ball off the pack shows he can be more than a mark and kick forward.

Great post but I would have in on a flank and Jones at CHF which might take a bit bit of pressure off Jones and help his development .

Cyberdoggie
15-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Talia is all set to step it up after a full pre-season and his taste of the top grade last year.

I think he will be our first choice FB this year, with Roughead at CHB and Markovic / Austin as the next options. Morris will hopefully be back and somewhere near some good form in the early stages of the year. If Morris / Roughead / Talia are all fit and playing well, then they have to be our first choice options down back.

Williams at CHF needs to be perservered with - we dont have many other options there. He could turn into a very effective swingman for us if he can show abit up forward as we know what he will offer down back.

Good points, i guess i have more faith in Talia, Roberts and Roughead making it as defenders than i do Jones, Grant, Cordy as key forwards. So using Williams as a forward seems the most likely option, as he did show that he can use his body and actually win a marking contest last year, not like the other key forwards.

I can't see Markovic holding down any position this year, Austin was far more reliable than he was and that is what you want. With Lukas you just have a feeling that if it doesn't start well for him then it's going to get horrible.

I think Roberts will be a forward at some stage. He's getting much bigger now and he reads the ball in the air much better than Jones or Cordy.

Ghost Dog
15-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Good points, i guess i have more faith in Talia, Roberts and Roughead making it as defenders than i do Jones, Grant, Cordy as key forwards. So using Williams as a forward seems the most likely option, as he did show that he can use his body and actually win a marking contest last year, not like the other key forwards.

I can't see Markovic holding down any position this year, Austin was far more reliable than he was and that is what you want. With Lukas you just have a feeling that if it doesn't start well for him then it's going to get horrible.

I think Roberts will be a forward at some stage. He's getting much bigger now and he reads the ball in the air much better than Jones or Cordy.

Bit unfair really. Austin was given far easier 'donkey work' down back, as Sedat calls it. Marko got the Gorillas.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Bit unfair really. Austin was given far easier 'donkey work' down back, as Sedat calls it. Marko got the Gorillas.

Disagree.

Austin played on some good forwards, many of which could be considered gorillas themselves. I recall him playing on Dawes (and Pods, I think?) and doing reasonably well and there were a few others too, my memory escapes me though.

I like Austin; he really does remind me of Morris. He's a bit of a forgotten man around here to a certain extent, he just needs to stay injury free -- something he hasn't been able to do -- and I am sure he'll feature more than he doesn't/be upgraded at the year's end.

bornadog
15-05-2013, 06:13 PM

With Lake gone I'm tending to think he should be the full back rather than the spare parts player role we have tended to give him.

The temptation is to throw some of the youngsters like Talia and Roberts into the key positions but I hope they have to earn it.

Markovic needs to step up this year and hold down the FB position.

I have been in two minds about Markovic since we drafted him. He has played some serviceable games, particularly in 2011 when Lake wasn't available and then last year he had the hammies.

I thought he played well on Saturday and kicking three goals was a real bonus.

I wouldn't drop him at this stage and see how he goes. He can be switched forward or back, and maybe even take over from Roughie at times while he goes forward or into the ruck.

wYnWbDWfaNU

One thing is he should be in his peak now at age 26, 193cm and has played 26 games only.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2013, 12:21 AM
The second one was a very very good mark. Probably my highlight of the night.
Much maligned on the boards. But has a great manner about him, and wonderful to see him jag a few.
80% forward, 20% back for mine

The Bulldogs Bite
16-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Looked OK up forward, absolutely baffling why we kept trying to settle him into the back half. Every time he went back, he was beaten badly.

Although he may have something to offer as that second ruck option/forward, I still would rather develop Roberts in front of him for the forward half and Talia ahead of him for the back half.

Greystache
16-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Looked OK up forward, absolutely baffling why we kept trying to settle him into the back half. Every time he went back, he was beaten badly.

Although he may have something to offer as that second ruck option/forward, I still would rather develop Roberts in front of him for the forward half and Talia ahead of him for the back half.

I've been keen to see him play that role and was pleased he showed a bit last week. Agree that both those young guys have potentially more to offer long term, but Talia has to be a defender with his kicking skills and I wouldn't want to see Roberts playing in the ruck at this point in his career. Markovic is the expendable type we can throw into that role for now and Roberts should only come in if his form either warrants selection and we adjust around him or Williams is fit and we get him to do some stints in the ruck while playing forward.