PDA

View Full Version : When will the pain of 1997 go away?

bulldogtragic
06-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Still haunts me to this day. I remember standing in the southern Stand on the final siren feeling empty and almost out of body and surreal. So many what ifs from that last quarter just keep niggling me, imagine being one of the players!

But it was a couple of decades ago, even not in this millennium. Will it take a premiership to finally get over it. I'm not sure if it will ever go away...

Is there anyone else still stuck back in time?

BornInDroopSt'54
06-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes was there and as fate would have it surrounded by Crows supporters, who were quiet for most of the match. At three quarter time one of them said that we have it won. I said the obvious, ain't done til it's done, but said it really for not daring to feel we were in the grandfinal yet. All through the last quarter it seemed unreal, wrong, surreal. At the siren I felt violated, like we were a victim of a natural disaster like a bushfire or a drowning, as you say like an out of body experience because one needed to leave the 'body' because it was too much with which to deal.
I don't think anybody who lived through it will ever recover unless we win a preliminary final by coming from behind and go on to win the grand like surely we would have against St Kilda. The state of things atm, with a team that is not yet on the rise, only accentuates the tragedy.
I have never seen the replay, but the images of Chris Grant trying desperately to jam his foot on the ball to get a goal, Mark West running into space on the forward line and spraying the kick, Nigel Smart with his nude nut running off half back and delivering it long into the forward line, Libba's goal disallowed, the ball landing in Jarman's hands and worst of all their idiotic team song blasting out under the stands of the MCG burnt a hole in my heart.
Such is life. We can only accept and move forward.
If and when, we will celebrate like no other team can.

Go_Dogs
06-01-2013, 02:54 PM
I probably speak for most SA based supporters, when I die! Other than that, beating them in a prelim or grand final or stealing Dangerfield would suffice. :)

bornadog
06-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I am still trying to get over 1985:D

The Bulldogs Bite
06-01-2013, 03:22 PM
I was pretty young that day in '97, but 2009 will definitely stick in my mind for a while.

Topdog
06-01-2013, 04:01 PM
When we win a premiership.

If you haven't yet watch the game again. It surprisingly helps.

The Pie Man
06-01-2013, 04:58 PM
When we win a premiership.

If you haven't yet watch the game again. It surprisingly helps.

Watched the last quarter a few years ago - BIDS54 picked a fair few moments from that quarter, but something I'd forgotten was James Cook missing a total sitter 30 out that would've put us nearly 5 goals up early on.

Was 19 that day - was 31 in 09, I reckon that one hurts a little more today

bulldogsfight
06-01-2013, 05:30 PM
The doctors say i will be able to go home soon

chef
06-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Is there anyone else still stuck back in time?

Hell yes. This 'what if' will never go away.

Thank god I have Chelsea or I would be one bitter arsehole when it comes to footy.

Flamethrower
06-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Never ever.

That is the one thing I hate about spectator sports - as a fan you have ZERO influence on the outcome of the game but TOTAL emotional involvement. The pain of losing far outweighs the euphoria of winning.

LostDoggy
06-01-2013, 06:26 PM
I was pretty young that day in '97, but 2009 will definitely stick in my mind for a while.

2009 was horrible. I remember walking out of the MCG with my brother, both dogs supporters since we were 4 or 5. he was white as a sheet, i was actually quite worried about him..I thought, 'this guy is so upset, he could do anything' . I dont like to think about it really.

LostDoggy
06-01-2013, 06:45 PM

Likewise :(

Greystache
06-01-2013, 07:44 PM

I was pretty young too, but '97 hurt a lot more than 2009 for me. I felt if we made the GF in '97 we'd beat St Kilda easily to win the flag. In 2009 I felt if we could hang on and snatch the victory we'd get a Hawthorn 2008 Qualifying final style belting from Geelong the next week, so it softened the pain.

LostDoggy
06-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Jarman was actually really good that day. Reiwoldt dived, thats why one loss hurts more than the other.

LostDoggy
06-01-2013, 08:01 PM
I don't think anybody who lived through it will ever recover unless we win a preliminary final by coming from behind and go on to win the grand like surely we would have against St Kilda.

It is almost that bad isn't it? It won't be enough to win a premiership, we'd have to rip the heart out of another club doing it to get over '97.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-01-2013, 08:02 PM
I was pretty young too, but '97 hurt a lot more than 2009 for me. I felt if we made the GF in '97 we'd beat St Kilda easily to win the flag. In 2009 I felt if we could hang on and snatch the victory we'd get a Hawthorn 2008 Qualifying final style belting from Geelong the next week, so it softened the pain.

My dad says the same thing about '97.

I think we would have ran Geelong close. We were primed in 2009, we'd beaten Geelong only a month prior and then lost to them in the QF by around 14 points when we played terrible. It would have been a close one IMO -- we had a seriously good side.

2008 was a year too early, 2010 a year too late.

AndrewP6
06-01-2013, 08:56 PM
I was 21. Wasn't a diehard then, to be honest. On GF day, we arrived in Adelaide for a basketball tournament. We decided in all our wisdom, to sit in the bar at the hotel and watch the game - and then go out that night (all in our Victorian uniforms!!)...

2009, I was absolutely gutted. Sat there stunned, couldn't move at the conclusion.

w3design
06-01-2013, 09:20 PM
In 97 we shot ourselves in the foot through a kind of awful paralysis both on the field and in the coaching box. ( why didnt we stack the backline? ) It was like a slowly unfolding horror movie where you wanted to yell : he's behind you !!

I too remember the brilliant sunshine, the daring to hope at half time, and then..that song. We didn't move or speak for 15 minutes.

09, I think we were robbed rather than throwing it away as we did in 97. And we were probably less than 50/50 to beat Geelong. It doesn't hurt as much, though we were probably line for line a more talented team.

My signature indicates how much it hurts! I will never ever watch that replay and I'm not sure even a flag will take away the pain completely. Don't get me started on 98 either...

Twodogs
06-01-2013, 10:59 PM
09, I think we were robbed rather than throwing it away as we did in 97. And we were probably less than 50/50 to beat Geelong. It doesn't hurt as much, though we were probably line for line a more talented team.

Oh we were robbed in '97 make no mistake about that. I was in the third row right behind the goals we were kicking to in the last quarter. Libba's shot for goal went through about a metre inside the goal post.

The only way I'll ever exorcise that pain is to beat the Crows in Adelaide in a prelim final.

westbulldog
06-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Never. The window was wide open and it slammed shut, broken fingers. Am I right in recalling that Darren Jarman ran amok in the last quarter and his opponent was not changed ?

Happy Days
07-01-2013, 01:03 AM
I was 5 in 1997, so it doesn't really resonate too heavily with me. I have an enduring memory of Dad chucking an empty tinny at the TV (which he denies to this day), and I've been conditioned to blame Paul Hudson for everything, but the game doesn't really sting that much.

Because of 2009 there is a hole through my wardrobe door.

jeemak
07-01-2013, 01:13 AM
I haven't had a public meltdown like the one I had in 1997. I was 17 at the time, hard to believe it's half a lifetime ago for me right now.

Most of the game has been repressed. There's still flashes of the last quarter that stick with me, and the Adelaide song as well as the smug little shit that leaned out of a corporate box and started barking at me stand out in my mind.

2009 was an absolute joke. Six or seven goals from free kicks directly or indirectly, plus the dive of the century. I still haven't seen a free kick paid for the same thing since that dive, but the same thing happens each week. We shot ourselves in the foot through our inability to drop our vision and pick shorter targets going forwards, as well as our inability to convert scoring opportunities.

We were good enough both years. 2009 angers me a lot, 1997 makes me feel pathetic and consigned to a fate I don't deserve and can't really change.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Either way, the 97-00 years and the 08-10 years have been pretty draining and depressive as a whole on our supporter base. It feels as though many people are resigned to us never actually making another Grand Final, let alone winning one. That's the feeling I get amongst supporters I speak to and sit around at Etihad.

It'll be interesting to gauge the supporter's mindsets the next time we are in a position to realistically and seriously challenge. I can't help but feel the 97-00 and 08-10 years will have a bit of a lasting effect.

Eastdog
07-01-2013, 01:45 AM
Im all signed up as a member for 2013 with my silver reserved seat. We have to break the drought one day when that day will be I don't know. We have come close many times but just have not been able to make the big one.

Mantis
07-01-2013, 09:15 AM
People often forget that Adel kicked 12.21 that day... We were pretty lucky to be in front by as mcuh as we were at 3/4 qtr and were running on empty for much of the last qtr.

That being said some sensible coaching tactics would have seen us through, but the coaching box were pathetic late in the game... Our skill execution and decison making were also poor under pressure.

hotdog
07-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Unfortunately I doubt anything will ever erase the pain of 1997. To this day I still cannot watch a reply or highlights of that game even though I often see them in searches on Youtube. The scars will always be there till the bitter end. A premership may help but the highlights of 1997 will always still be there!

The Pie Man
07-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Just on how likely a GF win would've been in either 97 or 09

* Adelaide beat St Kilda on a day pretty similar to our PF loss, so our run at the time would've been well served that day....kicking to a leading Simon Minton-Connell, as should we have played, Cook would've been rubbed out - it would have been a big loss. Romero probably wouldn't have played either.

* Geelong beat St Kilda on a wet miserable day, where KP forwards had little impact - our supposed achilles heal through this period. Contested footy won out, though we were more than holding our own in that department at the time.

Even just typing this post out really sh_ts me

G-Mo77
07-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately I doubt anything will ever erase the pain of 1997. To this day I still cannot watch a reply or highlights of that game even though I often see them in searches on Youtube. The scars will always be there till the bitter end. A premership may help but the highlights of 1997 will always still be there!

I'm like you, it'll hurt until I die regardless of success, if we ever reach it.

LostDoggy
07-01-2013, 11:53 AM
I will never get over 1997 either. Have never watched a replay. I remember being absolutely stunned, then the tears started. Went out that night for a friends birthday and every time someone mentioned the game I'd cry all over again. My husband (boyfriend at the time) couldn't believe how affected I was and in the end told everyone not to mention it.

Even Storm being robbed in the 2006 NRL grand final is a distant memory - probably because we won the next year. Believe me, it does help.

Ghost Dog
07-01-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm over it. Never think about it. BRING ON 2013.

Twodogs
07-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Went out that night for a friends birthday and every time someone mentioned the game I'd cry all over again. My husband (boyfriend at the time) couldn't believe how affected I was and in the end told everyone not to mention it.

My poor cousin had her 21st that day in a hall in Yarraville. Pretty much my whole family barracks for the bulldogs and nearly everyone there had come straight from the MCG. I can remember saying to my mum at about 6.30 pm "Look I think we'll get going" She shot me a look and said "sit down in your *!*!*!*!ing chair-you're going nowhere" We waited for another 15 minutes and left without telling anyone.

I can remember walking down Williamstown rd and every house had a "Go Bulldogs" poster or sign in the window. Me and my girlfriend at the time (who did end up becoming Mrs Twodogs but we are divorced now) said to me "This is tragic. It's like one of those German existentialist films from the '30s"

Eastdog
07-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Great attitude GD. Lets bring on the new season. We should look forwards and not too much back as it brings back pain for us Bulldog supporters. My pain was 08,09 and 10 as I started supporting the Doggies in 2001.

chef
07-01-2013, 03:02 PM

How old were you in 97?

I don't understand how a supporter could watch that game and get over it and never think about it. It's the biggest 'what if' in my life.

bornadog
07-01-2013, 04:19 PM
How old were you in 97?

He wasn't born:D

LostDoggy
07-01-2013, 09:17 PM
97 was just horrible... Will never ever forget that.

I think I'm more shattered about the 2009 QF rather than the PF.. Going into that QF i was certain we would roll Geelong. We were primed and ready to go. Then we just folded.. Only to decide too turn it on in the last quarter when the horse had bolted.

AndrewP6
07-01-2013, 09:55 PM
How old were you in 97?

I don't understand how a supporter could watch that game and get over it and never think about it. It's the biggest 'what if' in my life.

Perhaps some just view the game differently to others?

jeemak
07-01-2013, 10:01 PM
97 was just horrible... Will never ever forget that.

I think I'm more shattered about the 2009 QF rather than the PF.. Going into that QF i was certain we would roll Geelong. We were primed and ready to go. Then we just folded.. Only to decide too turn it on in the last quarter when the horse had bolted.

Agree with the 2009 Qualifying Final as being terrible, and the most disappointing of our finals performances of 2008-2010. Geelong were ripe for the picking and we severely let ourselves down. It doesn't hurt as much as the prelim of that year though.

Eastdog
07-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Agree with the 2009 Qualifying Final as being terrible, and the most disappointing of our finals performances of 2008-2010. Geelong were ripe for the picking and we severely let ourselves down. It doesn't hurt as much as the prelim of that year though.

2009 PF we were playing well enough to win it. Riewoldt in the end won it for them and you can argue all you like whether it was touched. Who knows what would of happened if it was a point. 2008 PF we played well but kicked ourselves out of it. We failed at the QF's and those are important to win to get the week off.

LostDoggy
08-01-2013, 12:09 AM
I was 23, 97 was a horrific event, being in Adelaide with a room full of cows, bets on all round, in the end I was just stunned beyond reasoning at the time and commenced a record bender, looking back over the years, time and again thinking what a turning point in history that would have been has been brutal reality. 2009 was probably the angriest i have been after any sporting match, i picked up the flat screen to hurl it from the balcony but managed to find the composure to put it down.

We would have beaten saints in 97 but not the cats in 09.

I will resolve to forget all when we get a flag. That's what we are here for and I think we are moving in the right direction, I think we are taking the long road but the stronger route.

Ghost Dog
08-01-2013, 12:42 AM
How old were you in 97?

I have to admit, I only became a serious fan after seeing the Year of the Dog doco. I was living in the West before that, and started to support, but went OS. I was travelling, and internet was not around to follow the game so closely then. So, I can respect how gutted long time fans must have felt. It takes guts to follow a small club like ours. Especially if you lived through the hard years as a kid. People are always rubbing it in. I live in Geelong!

chef
08-01-2013, 07:28 AM
I have to admit, I only became a serious fan after seeing the Year of the Dog doco. I was living in the West before that, and started to support, but went OS. I was travelling, and internet was not around to follow the game so closely then. So, I can respect how gutted long time fans must have felt. It takes guts to follow a small club like ours. Especially if you lived through the hard years as a kid. People are always rubbing it in. I live in Geelong!

Fair enough mate.

SonofScray
08-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Will never get over it, I still have the odd nightmare.

Walking out of the ground past the Crows fans was the most humiliating, frightening experience of my life to that point. I was 12 at the time and adult Crows fans unashamedly mocked me and my family as we walked out. Scarves waved in our faces, called all sorts of "F's" and "C's" my mum was crying, my Dad just totally stunned and listless. Then the spitting and beer came flying when my brother gave a bit of lip back. One fan grabbed my scarf around my neck and and was yelling all sorts of nonsense.

The feeling of being robbed has faded due to 09, but it was really 1997 that cemented this idea that we just arenit supposed to make it. That one way or another something ridiculous will intervene. Its like the Curse of the Bambino, or the Billy Goat in MLB.

gohardorgohome
08-01-2013, 08:55 PM
I still have a huge mix of emotions whenever I see the footage... I went with a few family members who left at the very end whilst I sat in the stand wondering what could have been for ten minutes or so.

Five crows supporters gobbled off at me whilst I was sitting there...... I grabbed one by the throat and none of them wanted to take anything further.......

I still seeth typing this fifteen years later...

bulldogtragic
08-01-2013, 09:54 PM
I still have a huge mix of emotions whenever I see the footage... I went with a few family members who left at the very end whilst I sat in the stand wondering what could have been for ten minutes or so.

Five crows supporters gobbled off at me whilst I was sitting there...... I grabbed one by the throat and none of them wanted to take anything further.......

I still seeth typing this fifteen years later...
Sympathise! I remember a very mouthy Adelaide mob too, it was so unnecessary how many of them behaved and it seems it happened to more than one of us. A loose acquaintance of mine actually decked a mouthy Adelaide yob in one of the ramps. I don't condone it all, but I can understand why he did it. Their venom made the day extra shite.

The Doctor
08-01-2013, 11:58 PM
We blew it. We just blew it. We didn't take our chances but they did. The winner takes it all.

I often think of what might have been had 3 of our best players from that season been in the team, Southern, Dimmatina & Kolyniuk. All sitting in the stands. More ifs and buts!

LostDoggy
09-01-2013, 01:15 AM
The 1997 Prelim is the only game that i have ever cried as a result of. I was completely decimated and could not speak to anyone for about 3 days. Devastating. I have never watched the game again.

jeemak
09-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Sympathise! I remember a very mouthy Adelaide mob too, it was so unnecessary how many of them behaved and it seems it happened to more than one of us. A loose acquaintance of mine actually decked a mouthy Adelaide yob in one of the ramps. I don't condone it all, but I can understand why he did it. Their venom made the day extra shite.

My mother and I recollect how feral and tribal their crowd was coming off the coaches on the Swan St side of the foot bridge leading over to the G. Objectively looking at it, they actually knew they were in with a fighting chance from the very beginning, and they roard louder than I've heard a Bulldogs crowd roar. It was almost as if they knew they had a right to be there, and we didn't, which is kind of why the feeling I get from the game is one of being pathetic. By no means does that excuse their brutish behavior after the siren. Some of it was completely disgraceful.

I think we all experienced the shameful abuse after the game in one way or another. For me, it was an early lesson that entitlement and success is not a forebearer of class and grace. The Adelaide Crows are a typical example (and always will be, especially considreing their latest player management exploits and their token efforts to make right of the situation this draft period) of what can happen when entitlement and fortune is served on a platter by the AFL administration.

As much as I despised the 2009 prelim loss, and the lack of cordiality amongst the St Kilda supporters (MCC) throughout the game, there was nowhere near the abuse that was served up in 1997 after the siren was blown.

Crows supporters will always have a special place in my heart as a breed that does not deserve any conciliation in times of hardship.

LongWait
09-01-2013, 11:29 AM
The 1997 Prelim is the only game that i have ever cried as a result of. I was completely decimated and could not speak to anyone for about 3 days. Devastating. I have never watched the game again.

It was the first and only time I ever saw my father cry - I was 39 and he was 62 at the time.

strebla
09-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I am still so thankfully I was overseas .I called at 3/4 time to hear we were 5 goals up after the game I made about 20 phone call all of which went unanswered got excited thinking everyone is lining up for tickets.I then rand a dogs supporter working at werribee train station to relieve the news .i was in a hotel room with 3 Canadians and 2 poms it was 85 all over again!!!!! Not proud to say that the young ladies in our group certainly saw a performance the pain and the grief spewed forth as I lost the plot then he tears even so far away it broke my heart I have never and will never ever watch it .It remains the only final series I haven't watched and still can't bear to think about.

Twodogs
09-01-2013, 01:09 PM
1985 was pretty hard to take too. Bloody Hawthorn took us to the cleaners a fortnight before in the Qualifying final but we played them again and we were in it to our eyeballs until bloody Leigh Matthews got away from us and won the game for them.

craigsahibee
09-01-2013, 01:43 PM
We blew it. We just blew it. We didn't take our chances but they did. The winner takes it all.

I often think of what might have been had 3 of our best players from that season been in the team, Southern, Dimmatina & Kolyniuk. All sitting in the stands. More ifs and buts!

Yes, Daniel Southern, the first player to be suspended for wrestling. The final game of the home and away season we played Hawthorn at Waverley. Hawthorn had absolutely nothing to play for so they decided to put cash in to a pool for a winner take all prize for their most toughest player on the ground.

All day they were firing off cheap shots of which Dimma retaliated and copped 2 weeks and Southern went to the aid of Westy who was being mauled and as a result of being the 3rd man in was charged and subsequently suspended because of priors.

One of the reasons why I despise the Hawthorn Football Club immensely and wish nothing but pain and misery on them.

EasternWest
09-01-2013, 03:23 PM
It was the first and only time I ever saw my father cry - I was 39 and he was 62 at the time.

Out of all these sad posts, yours made me the saddest.

A real Wonder Years moment. I read it in grown up Kevin Arnold's voice.

jeemak
09-01-2013, 03:49 PM

I read your post in Higgins off Magnum PI's voice.

EasternWest
09-01-2013, 04:34 PM

I read your post in Stephen Hawking's voice when he was on The Simpsons.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-01-2013, 09:38 PM

Same same

bornadog
10-01-2013, 12:17 AM
I put the mozz on the boys at three quarter time. I was living in Singapore at the time and listening on the radio. At three quarter time, I remember saying to my wife, we are 30 minutes away from the Grand Final and she said don't say that.:(

I had my plane booked and everything ready to come back:mad: I have never watched that whole match only some bits and pieces and couldn't stand it any longer.

Twodogs
10-01-2013, 11:32 AM

I read your post in Stephen Hawking's voice when he was on The Simpsons.

I just yelled "Timmyyyy" a lot.

Sedat
10-01-2013, 08:32 PM

The irony is that we were so efficient with our scoring in the first 3 quarters and Adelaide missed a truckload of chances in that time. Truth be told, we really only played 1 quarter of sublime football in that game - we kicked 8 of our 13 goals in the 2nd qtr. Adelaide dominated the 1st and 3rd but couldn't get any scoreboard pressure, and whilst we dominated the first 10 minutes of the last qtr, we were running on the spot thereafter and were completely overrun when the whips were cracking.

Agree with the 1985 calls, but I was also shattered after 2008. We played our assess off against Geelong and should have been in front in the last qtr - we dominated almost the entire 2nd half and were running Geelong completely off their feet but completely butchered our goalkicking, with 8 points in a row (not including the Eagle not even making the distance from a set shot from 35 metres out dead in front, and also a few out of bounds on the full). I remember Minson clunking a couple of massive pack marks and then shanking his shots at goal. The final straw was Brad Johnson being borderline sexually assaulted by Max Rooke after taking a clear mark, and the umpire waving play on to kill the match off once and for all in time-on of the last qtr - we were still withing a couple of goals and still in it up to our eyeballs. Also had Higgins kicked 4.1 instead of 1.4 in the 1st qtr, it would have completely changed the course of the match - Milburn would have stopped playing off his man and going 3rd man in, which would have created more one-on-ones up forward, and instead of playing catch-up after a poor 2nd qtr we would have been level pegging at half time.

The only PF that doesn't do my head in is 1992, because we were nowhere near Geelong's class and were never a show. Considering our club virtually ceased to exist only a couple of years earlier, 1992 will always remain one of my favourite seasons of all time as a Dogs supporter. We ended up equal top with 16 wins, won an awesome final against a rampant St Kilda and saw a 19yo Chris Grant completely dominate a final off his own boot.

w3design
10-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Sedat your post brought back memories I thought I'd forgotten of the 08 pain. Maybe because of our inept showing v hawks in first week I didn't really see us as a big show against Geelong in the prelim. Your post reminded me that in reality we should have beaten them. Those shots on goal..and Eagleton 's pitiful miss...and THAT decision on JOhnno...how much agony we have endured as Dogs fans.

bornadog
10-01-2013, 11:52 PM
The only PF that doesn't do my head in is 1992, because we were nowhere near Geelong's class and were never a show. Considering our club virtually ceased to exist only a couple of years earlier, 1992 will always remain one of my favourite seasons of all time as a Dogs supporter. We ended up equal top with 16 wins, won an awesome final against a rampant St Kilda and saw a 19yo Chris Grant completely dominate a final off his own boot.

Like many a Prelim we really missed two big names that year due to injury.

Fossie with his broken leg after the disgusting kickcing and tripping by that dud from Hawthorn (whose name escapes but should have got 10 weeks), and the Brownlow medalist of that year, Wynd, out due to injury. Fossie would have stopped Brownless kicking goals and Wynd would have been the dominant big man. We had a great first half but died in the second half.

jeemak
11-01-2013, 12:01 AM

Fossie with his broken leg after the disgusting kickcing and tripping by that dud from Hawthorn (whose name escapes but should have got 10 weeks), and the Brownlow medalist of that year, Wynd, out due to injury. Fossie would have stopped Brownless kicking goals and Wynd would have been the dominant big man. We had a great first half but died in the second half.

I think you mean the previous year's Norm Smith medalist, Paul Dear.

jeemak
11-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Agree with the 1985 calls, but I was also shattered after 2008. We played our assess off against Geelong and should have been in front in the last qtr - we dominated almost the entire 2nd half and were running Geelong completely off their feet but completely butchered our goalkicking, with 8 points in a row (not including the Eagle not even making the distance from a set shot from 35 metres out dead in front, and also a few out of bounds on the full). I remember Minson clunking a couple of massive pack marks and then shanking his shots at goal. The final straw was Brad Johnson being borderline sexually assaulted by Max Rooke after taking a clear mark, and the umpire waving play on to kill the match off once and for all in time-on of the last qtr - we were still withing a couple of goals and still in it up to our eyeballs. Also had Higgins kicked 4.1 instead of 1.4 in the 1st qtr, it would have completely changed the course of the match - Milburn would have stopped playing off his man and going 3rd man in, which would have created more one-on-ones up forward, and instead of playing catch-up after a poor 2nd qtr we would have been level pegging at half time.

You've almost nailed it completely regarding 2008.

Our first week's showing against Hawthorn that year was absolutely disgraceful. I have a feeling it was miss-timed training, coupled with inexperience and a lack of awareness for what's required when taking a step up from home and away games through to finals football.

I think the showing against the Hawks softened me a little towards our performance in that preliminary final and the missed opportunity. There's still a part of me that thinks Geelong could have gone up another cog as they were clearly the best side for that year, though as Hawthorn showed they weren't on top of their game for a couple of weeks and were vulnerable.

The Rooke non-decision was an absolute calamity, and one that made me think there was a clear agenda to get certain sides to play in the last week of the finals (much like the charity afforded the Saints in the 2009 prelim).

1992 was the first year I really followed football with an awareness of how the game should be played. That year has so many fond memories as a result of that, as well as the fact it was when I really started to realise how awesom Chris Grant was. I couldn't get to or watch the game, if you believe it I was recording a CD at the time...........

bornadog
11-01-2013, 12:27 AM
I think you mean the previous year's Norm Smith medalist, Paul Dear.

Yep, thanks for the reminder, I call him a dud for doing a dog act. No respect for the guy whatsoever.

jeemak
11-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Yep, thanks for the reminder, I call him a dud for doing a dog act. No respect for the guy whatsoever.

Certainly a shocking performance when he did that.

All that aside, I'm not sure he was a paricularly good footballer anyway. Maybe handy's a better description (pretty sure he'd be labelled a "utility" on his footy card, which wasn't the best wrap in those days).

Though, I dare say when he pulls up stumps he's going to have a more impressive trophy cabinet than when I eventually do the same!

Remi Moses
11-01-2013, 02:47 AM
The answer to this thread is sadly
No.

Ghost Dog
11-01-2013, 08:28 AM
I wonder if Geelong supporters have forgotten their string of near misses in the 80s and 90s? You know, I am sure they probably have. Like a bad stitch, we have to just run it out.

LostDoggy
11-01-2013, 10:40 AM

I will forever refer to him as 'that bastard Paul Dear'. :mad:

BornInDroopSt'54
11-01-2013, 12:36 PM
I met Paul Dear (a big unit) who was working as a computer tech at a TAFE I was teaching at and summoned the guts to have a go at him about the incident. To my surprise he didn't offer any apologies but claimed he was badly portrayed! Gutless wonder!

LostDoggy
11-01-2013, 12:50 PM
He was out there, we weren't. Not sure calling him gutless gets us anywhere.

bornadog
11-01-2013, 02:27 PM
I met Paul Dear (a big unit) who was working as a computer tech at a TAFE I was teaching at and summoned the guts to have a go at him about the incident. To my surprise he didn't offer any apologies but claimed he was badly portrayed! Gutless wonder!

as I recall, Dear was lying on the ground and as Fossie tried to run off he swung his leg in a kicking action and copped Foss a beauty.

Pretty sure ended Fossie's career.

bulldogtragic
11-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Seems no matter what age demographic you fall into as a doggie, we all have more than our fair share of extreme disappointment.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-01-2013, 04:01 PM
In 1961 Footscray went into the Grand Final against Hawthorn, who had never won a premiership (can you believe we had more premierships than Hawthorn???) in front of 107,935 spectators! We had beaten Hawthorn the one time we'd played them during the season, had beaten the favourites Melbourne in the prelim and lead at half time in the grand only to go down by 43 pts.
Does anyone have a memory of it? I remember the streamers along Buckley and other streets, but not the game. I was 7yo.

LostDoggy
11-01-2013, 04:06 PM
In 1961 Footscray went into the Grand Final against Hawthorn, who had never won a premiership (can you believe we had more premierships than Hawthorn???) in front of 107,935 spectators! We had beaten Hawthorn the one time we'd played them during the season, had beaten the favourites Melbourne in the prelim and lead at half time in the grand only to go down by 43 pts.
Does anyone have a memory of it? I remember the streamers along Buckley and other streets, but not the game. I was 7yo.
A guy that works for me was in the U/19 at the time and went into the rooms at half time . He remembers that all the players were out on their feet and he felt for the worst. By all accounts it was a hot day.

bulldogtragic
11-01-2013, 04:20 PM
In all seriousness, will we ever get to and/or win a granny? Reading this thread makes me wonder :(

Sedat
11-01-2013, 05:02 PM
I think you're referring to the QF against Geelong that year, not the PF. We got off to a flyer in the QF thanks the Justin Charles killing it in the ruck and the Snozz Del Re kicking a bag - might have gotten 5-6 goals up in the 2nd qtr from memory. Then G Ablett Snr kicked an unbelievable running left foot goal on the boundary from 60m out and Geelong went gangbusters for the rest of the game. We were never in the PF at any stage a couple of weeks later.

Geelong were a much better team than us over the course of season 2008, but on PF night we were up to our necks in it.

LostDoggy
11-01-2013, 05:09 PM

Yep they smashed us - literally. Ran through Hobbs and Schultz early in the game and were far bigger bodied than us. We sold all our tickets the previous week against Melbourne. We were a fairly inexperienced team and no match for them in the second half.

John Kennedy coached them and also coached their 1971 Premiership team which was seen as a pretty tough side. Asked how the 71 team would line up against the 61 team, Kennedy said, "if this team saw the 61 team run onto the ground, they would all jump the fence and run home."

immortalmike
11-01-2013, 06:19 PM
I think my response in 09 was in most part due to my experience of the 97 prelim. That day we lost the unlosable and cemented in my mind that no matter what we are destined never to win a premiership. I realize this is an overly negative and in many ways completely irrational view. I'm okay with this but I guess as Bulldog supporters we all have this PTSD about 97 and this is my way of dealing with it.

In 09 we had every right to win that game, but despite that all I could see at 3 quarter time was us losing. I envisioned the scenario unfolding almost exactly as it did. That's why when the Saints started coming I wasn't even my usual nervous self, when Riewoldt dove I didn't yell, and when the siren sounded I didn't shed a tear. I knew with absolute certainty that we would lose that game. I often feel that something just won't allow the Footscray Football Club to reach the pinnacle of our competition, whether that be ourselves, the AFL or something more divine like the Football gods. All I know is that in 97 something snapped in my 12 year old self, so to answer the threads question never, the pain will never go away.

Ghost Dog
11-01-2013, 08:28 PM
I think my response in 09 was in most part due to my experience of the 97 prelim. That day we lost the unlosable and cemented in my mind that no matter what we are destined never to win a premiership. I realize this is an overly negative and in many ways completely irrational view. I'm okay with this but I guess as Bulldog supporters we all have this PTSD about 97 and this is my way of dealing with it.

In 09 we had every right to win that game, but despite that all I could see at 3 quarter time was us losing. I envisioned the scenario unfolding almost exactly as it did. That's why when the Saints started coming I wasn't even my usual nervous self, when Riewoldt dove I didn't yell, and when the siren sounded I didn't shed a tear. I knew with absolute certainty that we would lose that game. I often feel that something just won't allow the Footscray Football Club to reach the pinnacle of our competition, whether that be ourselves, the AFL or something more divine like the Football gods. All I know is that in 97 something snapped in my 12 year old self, so to answer the threads question never, the pain will never go away.

Thanks for that. Enjoyed reading it. Even if like Geelong, we won three finals, it would never go away?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-01-2013, 09:14 PM
What about that final where Brownless kicked a goal after the siren? I felt like I'd been shot.

jeemak
11-01-2013, 11:54 PM
What about that final where Brownless kicked a goal after the siren? I felt like I'd been shot.

Came back from Buller that afternoon. My dad refused to take me to the game, said it had been too long a day.

After quarter time being five goals down it was looking like a good decision. Up until the last few seconds I was livid I wasn't there.

I'm glad my dad made the decision he did.

Remi Moses
12-01-2013, 12:24 AM

Me and some mates were 13 seconds away from a huge night.
Talk about ruining a potential big one.:mad:

Sedat
12-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Came back from Buller that afternoon. My dad refused to take me to the game, said it had been too long a day.

After quarter time being five goals down it was looking like a good decision. Up until the last few seconds I was livid I wasn't there.

I'm glad my dad made the decision he did.
Billy Brainless was useless all night - of course he was going to kick the winner. Just another September experience of being kicked in the teeth. Truth be told, we did a magnificent job coming back from 6 goals down to hit the front with 30 seconds left.

Eastdog
12-01-2013, 12:31 AM
What was the biggest lead in that PF against Adelaide in 97. I just don't know how we lost that. We were cruising into the 97 GF and all of a sudden it's taken away.

jeemak
12-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Billy Brainless was useless all night - of course he was going to kick the winner. Just another September experience of being kicked in the teeth. Truth be told, we did a magnificent job coming back from 6 goals down to hit the front with 30 seconds left.

Wouldn't you like to be our dentist. Every few years you hit pay dirt.

On the back of 2008-2010 our dentist has bought a place along the Great Ocean Road, and has sent his two boys to Scotch College.

Sedat
12-01-2013, 12:38 AM
What was the biggest lead in that PF against Adelaide in 97. I just don't know how we lost that. We were cruising into the 97 GF and all of a sudden it's taken away.
We kicked a goal after the half time siren to be 32 points up at HT. Adelaide then kicked 2 goals in the first 2 minutes of the 3rd qtr - it stayed between 3-4 goals for the next 45 minutes until we got blown away in the last 15 minutes.

Eastdog
12-01-2013, 12:40 AM
We kicked a goal after the half time siren to be 32 points up at HT. Adelaide then kicked 2 goals in the first 2 minutes of the 3rd qtr - it stayed between 3-4 goals for the next 45 minutes until we got blown away in the last 15 minutes.

Jarman was instrumental in that. So pretty much right at the end we gave in.

jeemak
12-01-2013, 12:52 AM

Crumbled is probably a better word mate. I don't think anyone ever stopped trying (if that's what you meant).

We basically blew all of our opportunities to finish them off, and when you have a team coming at you relentlessly, and finishing off their good work you can't afford to do that.

Eastdog
12-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Crumbled is probably a better word mate. I don't think anyone ever stopped trying (if that's what you meant).

We basically blew all of our opportunities to finish them off, and when you have a team coming at you relentlessly, and finishing off their good work you can't afford to do that.

We just stopped and the Crows scored unanswered goals. I have no doubt the effort was there from our team for the whole match. How did the 98 PF go. We got beaten badly in that one.

jeemak
12-01-2013, 01:01 AM
We just stopped and the Crows scored unanswered goals. I have no doubt the effort was there from our team for the whole match. How did the 98 PF go. We got beaten badly in that one.

Well Adelaide had about 46 players on the field, and we had maybe 12 or something like that. With four of them being injured and Rohan Smith playing CHB on Robran.

At least that's how it seemed.

Seriously, we got beaten in every aspect of the game across the entire field. There was nothing more to it, aside from some injury concerns leading in.

Eastdog
12-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Well Adelaide had about 46 players on the field, and we had maybe 12 or something like that. With four of them being injured and Rohan Smith playing CHB on Robran.

Seriously, we got beaten in every aspect of the game across the entire field. There was nothing more to it, aside from some injury concerns leading in.

We were very confident going into that match but it came crashing down all around us. It's amazing how the Crows won it in 98 from 5th position. With the finals system today that is very rare to win it from outside the top 4. Carlton in 99 made the GF from 6th and could of won the GF amazingly.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-01-2013, 08:04 AM
He was out there, we weren't. Not sure calling him gutless gets us anywhere.

Gutless is fair enough, not just for kicking at Foster but also for not being able to face up years later to what he had done and the implications for Foster and Footscray.

SonofScray
12-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Gutless is fair enough, not just for kicking at Foster but also for not being able to face up years later to what he had done and the implications for Foster and Footscray.

Agree. Kicked out at him. One of the lowest acts on the field IMO, no excuses.

Twodogs
12-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Gutless is technically incorrect. It was a low dog's act.

Twodogs
12-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I think you're referring to the QF against Geelong that year, not the PF. We got off to a flyer in the QF thanks the Justin Charles killing it in the ruck and the Snozz Del Re kicking a bag - might have gotten 5-6 goals up in the 2nd qtr from memory. Then G Ablett Snr kicked an unbelievable running left foot goal on the boundary from 60m out and Geelong went gangbusters for the rest of the game. We were never in the PF at any stage a couple of weeks later.

The turning point in that game came just before halftime. Justin Charles was handing John Barne's arse to him on a plate at ruck contests and around the ground. Barnes went off the ground with a soft tissue injury and in desperation Geelong threw Barry Stoneham into the ruck. Stoneham got on top of Charles and all of a sudden Ablett started to get the ball kicked to him and that was all she wrote.

bornadog
12-01-2013, 02:01 PM
The turning point in that game came just before halftime. Justin Charles was handing John Barne's arse to him on a plate at ruck contests and around the ground. Barnes went off the ground with a soft tissue injury and in desperation Geelong threw Barry Stoneham into the ruck. Stoneham got on top of Charles and all of a sudden Ablett started to get the ball kicked to him and that was all she wrote.

As I said, put Foster and Wynd into the 1992 finals campaign and I bet it would have been a different story.

Remi Moses
12-01-2013, 11:19 PM

Modra getting injured cost us.
We had him covered and he wasn't the player he was a few years earlier.
Forced them to play Jarman at full forward.
Can we get a thread closed due to mental trauma?

Eastdog
13-01-2013, 02:28 AM

We certainly need our fortunes to change when we make another PF win it and make that GF so we can all experience that GF week. It would be great going into the city for the GF parade with us being a competing team in the GF.

SonofScray
13-01-2013, 10:02 AM
I feel like we need to do a Bradbury in a way. Get in a winning position (again) but just have our opponents make a mess of it.

That'd lead to howls of us not deserving a GF berth etc which would be frustrating, but I'd take it.

The Coon Dog
13-01-2013, 10:40 AM

That was 1998, another horror story of a different kind.

The Coon Dog
13-01-2013, 10:45 AM
I don't know why I'm doing this, maybe still suffering post traumatic stress disorder?

I got to 53 seconds, that's all. Good luck if anyone can go the journey.

SmbBCGm45gs

bornadog
13-01-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't know why I'm doing this, maybe still suffering post traumatic stress disorder?

SmbBCGm45gs

We have to admit it, at the end of the day, we weren't good enough. Adelaide played better.

AndrewP6
13-01-2013, 01:17 PM
We have to admit it, at the end of the day, we weren't good enough. Adelaide played better.

Spot on. All those behinds too, probably should've been vastly different score line.

Twodogs
13-01-2013, 06:16 PM

I heard Modra's knee snap from where I was sitting. It was an awful sound.

LostDoggy
14-01-2013, 10:32 AM
No, I wish I could say different but I can't seem to let it go. I don't think about it all the time, but funnily enough, someone at the weekend teased me about it :( My god, the pain still ripped at my heart like it was yesterday. It's just lucky there wasn't a traffic jam on the bridge that night, or I think I would have jumped out of the car and leapt off. I remember waking up the next morning with the Crows song blasting in my mind - oh, it makes me feel sick now just thinking about it.

The only remedy will be a premiership I reckon :o

SonofScray
14-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Watched that youtube clip, actually made me physically ill. Thanks for posting.

chef
14-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm not watching it.

KT31
14-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Nothing but bad memories here.
In answer to the heading - NEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remi Moses
15-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Mere mention of the year 1997 takes me to dark places.:(
Two months later we had the disasterous World Cup qualifier loss:eek:

LostDoggy
15-01-2013, 10:33 AM

And 2 days later Chris Grant won the Brownlow, oh wait, no he didn't. A very dark weekend indeed. :mad:

Sedat
15-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Yep, I was present at both and they were both mind-numbing experiences at the end of each game. Just sitting quietly in my seat at the MCG motionless, both times.

The Australia loss was particularly galling because we should have been 5 goals up at half time - Vidmar missed so many gilt-edged chances. But as with the Dogs, you just knew the Socceroos would not get to the holy grail as soon as Iran scored completely against the run of play. Sure enough 5 minutes later it was 2-2 and all over red rover.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-01-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm not watching that video unless I see it with the first three quarters. Otherwise it's sadism. Meaning comes from context. You can't just look at that last quarter and think you understand the game and the subjective experience of it.

LostDoggy
15-01-2013, 07:28 PM
I had forgot Suz that the Chris Grant Brownlow rip off was the same time, I can remember thinking after the prelim loss that Chris would win for sure, just to cap off the heartbreak. Sometimes I wish the club did not mean so much to me, then I think how sweet it will be WHEN the ultimate actually eventuates.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-01-2013, 09:14 PM
I had forgot Suz that the Chris Grant Brownlow rip off was the same time, I can remember thinking after the prelim loss that Chris would win for sure, just to cap off the heartbreak. Sometimes I wish the ckub did not mean so much to me, then I think how sweet it will be WHEN the ultimate actually eventuates.

Can I come over to your place and celebrate when it happens?

LostDoggy
16-01-2013, 11:04 AM
This thread is actually making me feel a bit better about that whole awful weekend in 1997. To see so many others were so affected by it is comforting in a way. It also shows that I'm not the only one still not over it. Thanks everyone. :)

LostDoggy
16-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Can I come over to your place and celebrate when it happens?
For sure, I do not drink, but I think I will be pissed on adrenaline !

bulldogtragic
29-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Found the Open Mike with Chris Grant this morning, didn't bother to think about '97 being shown, in slo mo. Why was Huddo running at the ball when Grant was a step closer and on a better line. His shepheard stops the Adelaide smother, the kick looked good too.

Ahhh.

bornadog
29-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Found the Open Mike with Chris Grant this morning, didn't bother to think about '97 being shown, in slo mo. Why was Huddo running at the ball when Grant was a step closer and on a better line. His shepheard stops the Adelaide smother, the kick looked good too.

Ahhh.

Stop torchering yourself :p

bulldogtragic
29-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Stop torchering yourself :p
Tell me about it. I've finished watching it I'm split personality I think. I loved it and the man even more at the same time all I heard was Plough quitting, stolen brownlows, finals heart breaks inc 97 in slow mo, and heart ache most generally. But I think today I'll chose Granty love over AFL and outside hate! A seriously great person!

bornadog
29-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Tell me about it. I've finished watching it I'm split personality I think. I loved it and the man even more at the same time all I heard was Plough quitting, stolen brownlows, finals heart breaks inc 97 in slow mo, and heart ache most generally. But I think today I'll chose Granty love over AFL and outside hate! A seriously great person!

BTW, how are you after your trip to the hospital? Hope you are feeling better.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2013, 10:27 AM
BTW, how are you after your trip to the hospital? Hope you are feeling better.
Thanks mate, better than the last few trips, but still pretty big op and two weeks without woof at draft time nearly killed me too! Still too early to call success, but I'm home reliving 97 so I know I'm alive!

chef
29-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Never. I doubt even a GF win(or even just a prelim win) will take away the pain of that game.

I thought Chelsea CL victory would take away the pain of our final loss to United and the rip semi loss to UEFALONA, but it didnt. They are still the ones that got away and will play out in my memory forever.

comrade
29-11-2013, 11:09 AM
A flag and only a flag will do it.

KT31
29-11-2013, 12:43 PM
A flag and only a flag will do it.

Agree, we have had once we have the ultimate success it will release many demons from our past.

Scorlibo
29-11-2013, 02:15 PM
I think about the pain of 2009 before 1997. I thought we looked as much winners in that game as in 1997 and were just as cruelly dealt umpiring decisions which cost us.

w3design
29-11-2013, 02:40 PM
See my signature for my thoughts on this.

Lateniter
29-11-2013, 04:05 PM
The '61 grand final was the day I started supporting the Dogs. It's been all downhill since then.
'97 was the hardest to take. I was producing a national TV news bulletin as the nightmare unfolded. It wasn't easy trying to stay on top of things when my brain had shut down.
Had to laugh though at an earlier post from a guy who thought we had it won at 3/4 time and his wife said "don't say that" but he booked tickets home for the gf.
Unbeknown to me in '97 my wife had rung the railways at 3/4 time to check on train times to Melbourne from Sydney. She's still apologising.
I think a premiership would enable us to move on from the near misses of the past and more importantly get rid of that damned underdog status we've acquired. We live in hope but current developments at the club give me some reason to believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

LostDoggy
29-11-2013, 04:14 PM
The '61 grand final was the day I started supporting the Dogs. It's been all downhill since then.
'97 was the hardest to take. I was producing a national TV news bulletin as the nightmare unfolded. It wasn't easy trying to stay on top of things when my brain had shut down.
Had to laugh though at an earlier post from a guy who thought we had it won at 3/4 time and his wife said "don't say that" but he booked tickets home for the gf.
Unbeknown to me in '97 my wife had rung the railways at 3/4 time to check on train times to Melbourne from Sydney. She's still apologising.
I think a premiership would enable us to move on from the near misses of the past and more importantly get rid of that damned underdog status we've acquired. We live in hope but current developments at the club give me some reason to believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers. This is all your fault.

Lateniter
29-11-2013, 04:19 PM
No worries. I'll take full responsibility then the rest of you can move on!

bornadog
29-11-2013, 04:41 PM

I had book the tickets home (from Singapore), during the week in anticipation. At 3/4 time I said we were 30 minutes from the GF and ready to make the trip, and she said "Don't Say That" :o

LostDoggy
29-11-2013, 04:52 PM

We haven't acquired it, we were born with it. But by god we will not die with it. Years like 85, 97 and 09
set us apart from the spoilt, we hurt like no other that's why we will win like no other...(maybe boston) :D

always right
29-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Lot of hurt on this board....lot of pain.

My family sometimes talk about what we will do when we do win our next premiership. Big party Saturday night, family day on Sunday, TV replaying the GF continuously, and premiership tattoos for us all.

Quite poignant when you think about it.

LostDoggy
29-11-2013, 05:17 PM
The pain will go for me once we have more flags than the cows.

KT31
29-11-2013, 06:28 PM

You should be ok then - Bulldogs 1 to Cows 0.:)

bulldogsfight
29-11-2013, 06:39 PM
My doctor says I am getting better:eek:

LostDog
29-11-2013, 08:00 PM
nothing will ever cure the pain of the '97 prelim loss, it was my 18th Bday as well completely ruined that celebration also.

I even forced myself to watch it again on Youtube the other week, the anxiety of the ball going into our forward line in the final seconds and Granty missing, just bought all the hurt back again.

Maybe playing Adelaide in the GF and coming from behind to win would be the perfect potion

LostDog
29-11-2013, 08:03 PM
the difference between that PF and the 09 PF is where we came from that year cellar dwellers and just ridding the wave that year was a special year for me

bulldogtragic
29-11-2013, 08:05 PM

WBFC4FFC
29-11-2013, 10:04 PM
I think about the pain of 2009 before 1997. I thought we looked as much winners in that game as in 1997 and were just as cruelly dealt umpiring decisions which cost us.

Same here. 97 was one dodgy decision. 09 was systematic corruption for the entire game!

The following day's paper, taking up a whole page with the AFL trying to justify all the biased decisions added further weight and doubt as to the legitimacy of that game!

bornadog
29-11-2013, 11:55 PM
the difference between that PF and the 09 PF is where we came from that year cellar dwellers and just ridding the wave that year was a special year for me

I think in our heads with almost 5 goals up at 3/4 time, we thought it was in the bag and that is what makes it so hard to take. 09 it was a goal in it all night and anyone could have won.

LostDoggy
30-11-2013, 09:02 AM
I think in our heads with almost 5 goals up at 3/4 time, we thought it was in the bag and that is what makes it so hard to take. 09 it was a goal in it all night and anyone could have won.

I don't see why one has to be worse than the other. 1997 I was devastated. Totally and emotionally drained. I couldn't even enjoy any aspect of 1998 or 99, I was still in mourning. And then I think forward to 2009, on my knees in the cheer squad with tears streaming down my cheeks actually willing Riewoldt to kick that last goal, as I just didn't want to lose by a point.

KT31
30-11-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm starting to get the feeling we have been hacked into by an Essendon supporter, after a great end to the season and a very positive recruiting and draft period this seems to be an odd thing to be going over.

Go_Dogs
30-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Yep, as a South Aussie, this is the only way I'll ever get over it. It would be better too if at least 2 flags came about after beating the Crows in a prelim or the GF.

Hotdog60
30-11-2013, 11:04 AM
In some ways I was lucky as I was travelling through outback Australia with a total media ban on football for the whole business end of the finals series. I was having a great time until we drove into Port Augusta just after the grand final to see Crows flags everywhere, I knew then that I wouldn't be watching any of the finals games I had organised by friends to tape while I was away.

Shop Early
01-12-2013, 02:42 AM

SmbBCGm45gs

I made it to 8 seconds. Thought I'd do better than that after all this time! Can't watch any of it and don't want to think about it!

jeemak
01-12-2013, 04:12 AM
2009 hurts me just as badly as 1997.

WBFC4FFC sums it up perfectly. There was a clear bias in the game in 2009, and it's the only game I can keep a straight face in claiming we were royally screwed by the officiating of the game.

There's been nothing like it in a preliminary final before or since. It was a one-off show of absolute horse shit that we wore the brunt of. Completely shameful.

Remi Moses
01-12-2013, 02:06 PM
I remember the Stkilda radio cheer squad SEN even thought we were royally screwed.

comrade
01-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Why did I watch that.

Vicious.

josie
02-12-2013, 09:06 PM
I was not a member on 1997 however listened to bits on the radio at the time. Joined up the year after though. I have never been able to watch it, never wanted to. Only saw the goal from Libba on highlights that night (the one that should have been a goal - thank to poster who confirme it definitely was. Gawd it still makes me livid to think the Dogs & their Loyal Supporters, some loyal since '54, others since, were robbed).

I was a member in '08 though and was thoroughly sullen for a few few weeks after. Could not/will not watch the replay - ever.

Nothing will ever totally erase the pain of prelim. losses in 90's & 00's for me.

However WHEN we win the Granny I will be able to celebrate big time with loyal Dogs Supporters and I'll be so happy the curse is lifted !! (And I'm not even superstitious).

GO DOGS !!!