PDA

View Full Version : Conolly -wrong about unexciting Bulldogs

Ghost Dog
08-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Writes Rohan in a recent article

"I can't see a lot to get hugely excited about with the Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide. I wouldn't be nearly as surprised to see Melbourne improve substantially on its measly four wins, the additions of Chris Dawes, Shannon Byrnes and David Rodan having the potential to make as pronounced a cultural impact as purely one on results."

Read more: (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eight-it-great-20130105-2ca7h.html#ixzz2HHt4clvI)

Naturally I am biased, but putting my supporting inclinations aside, I'd like to say Conolly has glossed over our trade period in a slightly offhanded way.

From the view of changes very likely to make an impact there have been some significant movements.

Stringer's highlights reel is quite enough to sate supporter's appetite that we chose well. He's good to go from 2013, and will no doubt draw a quality defender when he plays. The return of Morris, a cult hero, has been built up, with a telling double page spread in the Hun. Not surprising it doesn't rate a mention in TheAge; much underrated player ( owing to his playing style and role ) by those who think they are in the know. Adam Cooney with a full pre-season and better conditioning - if fit will make a very big difference to the side.

For fans only, there are other stories to get excited about: Jong and JJ upgrades, Brett Goodes, Lower, Stevens and the return of Liberatore. But putting my Bulldogs hat away again, maybe not much to get hugely excited about for outsiders from a distance if you look at the players as individuals. However, there's significant enough changes to playing staff in all age brackets and if it all fires at once, the potential for some upsets are there; I think even non-Dogs fans would have to agree.

Topdog
08-01-2013, 12:43 AM
No he is right. Would be expecting 2014 to be a year of improvement in terms of wins.

Just need less fadeouts this year.

LostDoggy
08-01-2013, 12:46 AM
I would prefer to stay under the radar this year with low expectations, looking past 2013 there should be a lot to be excited about.

Remi Moses
08-01-2013, 12:54 AM
He's probably right.
However I think he's got Stkilda all wrong.
They've lost Goddard and all their good players are on a downward spiral.
Melbourne might have a slight surge( they'd want to with their recruiting method)
But long term, I'm not sure.

G-Mo77
08-01-2013, 02:09 AM
The only thing I see wrong with that snippet is the Melbourne will improve substantially. I just can't see it happening and think they'll be bottom 6 with us.

Mofra
08-01-2013, 10:19 AM
He's probably right.
The way football is played these days negates alot of Riewoldt's influence as well - rotations stop him blowing his opponents up, and the zones mean he has less space to run into.

I expect the Saints to miss the 8, simply because other teams have gone past them.

bornadog
08-01-2013, 10:39 AM
No he is right. Would be expecting 2014 to be a year of improvement in terms of wins.

Just need less fadeouts this year.

This ^^^

Macca says we will start to show improvement in the second half of the year.

The Pie Man
08-01-2013, 11:33 AM
He's probably right.
Melbourne might have a slight surge( they'd want to with their recruiting method)
But long term, I'm not sure.

Agree on St Kilda - from a longer term perspective, I feel they're behind us in the re-building phase.

Rohan's probably right - we can get excited about a few little things (like Stringer, fit Cooney etc) but whether these positives result in wins is at best debatable.

Looking forward to this season all the same.

ratsmac
08-01-2013, 12:53 PM
I hate to admit but I also agree with Conolly. We haven't done anything yet to be excited about apart from some recruiting, but so have 17 other teams. Everyone is excited about their draft prospects this time of year. Low expectations = little disappointment if you ask me.

I am however excited to see how our youngsters develop this year. I can't wait to see Stringer do his thang! I am also looking forward to seeing a beefed up J Grant after a solid pre-season in the gym, but I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes:

ratsmac
08-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Congrats on 2000 posts The Pie Man!!!

Mantis
08-01-2013, 01:11 PM
I see where Rohan Connolly is coming from. We were a low scoring & dour team for much of 2012, can't see us becoming a high-scoring & free-flowing team this year

Bulldog4life
08-01-2013, 02:17 PM
For fans only, there are other stories to get excited about: Jong and JJ upgrades, Brett Goodes, Lower, Stevens and the return of Liberatore. But putting my Bulldogs hat away again, maybe not much to get hugely excited about for outsiders from a distance if you look at the players as individuals. However, there's significant enough changes to playing staff in all age brackets and if it all fires at once, the potential for some upsets are there; I think even non-Dogs fans would have to agree.

I thought Jong was still on the rookie list. Has he been upgraded?

Axe Man
08-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Jong is still on the rookie list, only Campbell and JJ were upgraded as far as I know.

G-Mo77
08-01-2013, 02:30 PM

Nope. But we can play him Round 1 without an LTI if we want. We took an extra rookie at the expense of a Senior List spot so can upgrade a rookie at any time.

Remi Moses
08-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Agree on St Kilda - from a longer term perspective, I feel they're behind us in the re-building phase.

Rohan's probably right - we can get excited about a few little things (like Stringer, fit Cooney etc) but whether these positives result in wins is at best debatable.

Stkilda haven't got a player left who they drafted or traded in 09.
Pain coming their way you'd imagine

ledge
08-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Nope. But we can play him Round 1 without an LTI if we want. We took an extra rookie at the expense of a Senior List spot so can upgrade a rookie at any time.

Do you think this was done for JOng?

Mantis
08-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Stkilda haven't got a player left who they drafted or traded in 09.
Pain coming their way you'd imagine

Besides Picken who was a rookie grade we only have Howard, Tutt & Markovic left from this draft.

St.Kilda's position looks ok. ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
08-01-2013, 04:16 PM
I'd come close to betting my house that St. Kilda will miss the 8, and I hardly see what they have to be excited about longer term either.

Ghost Dog
08-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Wait and see I guess. I think a fit Cooney is more than a little thing. Midfield is where it all starts, and having Griff and him fully firing puts us two steps ahead of last season. Rohans a good journo, and having to make predictions often puts him in a tight spot later - nature of his work. Has made many a clanger prediction in the past.

G-Mo77
08-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Do you think this was done for JOng?

If they wanted him elevated they could have done it so I don't think they did it just for him.

w3design
08-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Well where did the experts pick us to finish in 97?

And if I remember rightly after our dismal finish to 07, we were seen as bottom 4 certainties.

Did Rohan or any of his esteemed colleagues pick the swans for last year's flag?

How many experts had the crows for the 8 last year?

Look, I'm not reserving my GF ticket (yet)... But I have optimism for a brighter outlook than Rohan.

bulldogtragic
08-01-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm just hoping for an improvement fom our kids. I wouldn't mind a few high draft picks either though.

Remi Moses
09-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Besides Picken who was a rookie grade we only have Howard, Tutt & Markovic left from this draft.

St.Kilda's position looks ok. ;)

It looks okay for now, but they are going to pay a hefty price for getting it wrong .
Their top liners are fading but still playing well, and they've finished in AFL version of No mans land. I see a few going past them to be honest.

Mantis
09-01-2013, 09:34 AM
It looks okay for now, but they are going to pay a hefty price for getting it wrong .
Their top liners are fading but still playing well, and they've finished in AFL version of No mans land. I see a few going past them to be honest.

You missed the point.

St.Kilda had a poor draft & trade period in '09, but they have recognised this and cleared them all out, we still have 3 on our list from this draft who have big question marks over their long term future.

MrMahatma
09-01-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm hopeful of some more exciting passages of play. Doubtful we'll play many exciting full games though.

Ghost Dog
09-01-2013, 10:18 AM
fHdkm-YCVZA
I'm excited about Nick Lower. Does a lot well.

Ozza
09-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Nice piece of play at the 4 minute mark involving Julian Jacobs! (family member of ours).

strebla
09-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Whilst I don't think we will play finals I am really looking forward to this year and think we can climb the ladder a bit.

DragzLS1
09-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Is it just me or is everybody more excited about this year then the last few? For some reason I am even more pumped this year even though I know we are going to be rubbish! Unless Griffen unleashes the fury like he did against Sydney along with a fit COoney! Then the commentators will be off their seat again! was it 17disposals in the first qtr which was a record!

Saints will not make the 8! and I am putting my house on it! They are trying to do what Sydney has done but at a half a$$ed effort and forgetting Sydney has home grouned advantage while Saints share etihad with several other teams..

Dry Rot
09-01-2013, 02:19 PM
fHdkm-YCVZA
I'm excited about Nick Lower. Does a lot well.

If that's a fair representation of his work, play him in the midfield not the backline (what the Freo fans reckon too).

Very impressive all round. Disposal and decision making looks good. Ditto tackling with intent.

DragzLS1
10-01-2013, 01:48 PM
I would have though he was a mid watching that very good work! Get him in there