PDA

View Full Version : Adam Cooney

Eastdog
08-01-2013, 10:16 PM
How do you guys see him going in 2013. With his knees the way they are what role could he play in the team?

F'scary
08-01-2013, 10:37 PM
see the article in Dogs Day. He has undergone revolutionary treatment and is completely cured. Brownlow #2 coming up.

Eastdog
08-01-2013, 10:46 PM
see the article in Dogs Day. He has undergone revolutionary treatment and is completely cured. Brownlow #2 coming up.

That's great news about Cooney in the article. What is the chance of his knee getting injuried again.

boydogs
09-01-2013, 12:18 AM
That's great news about Cooney in the article. What is the chance of his knee getting injuried again.

The treatment was injecting his own treated blood back in, so there's nothing surgically that could wear down or come unstuck.

Eastdog
09-01-2013, 12:46 AM
The treatment was injecting his own treated blood back in, so there's nothing surgically that could wear down or come unstuck.

How long have they had this type of treatment for? I'm guessing its quite a recent thing and from its results it's sounds great.

AndrewP6
09-01-2013, 02:06 AM

Not from the treatment itself, but the knee can degenerate.

boydogs
09-01-2013, 02:23 AM
How long have they had this type of treatment for? I'm guessing its quite a recent thing and from its results it's sounds great.

The treatment has been around for a while but he's the first AFL player to try it. He had it at the end of this season for the first time, not sure if he's going back

I'm not sure he's at any greater risk than anyone else of his knee degenerating, but I'm not sure how well it has healed either.

jeemak
09-01-2013, 02:29 AM

Eastdog, I think the treatment is fairly new. As in, it has been developed within the last ten years, with treatment on what might be a mainstream level for specifically selected elite sportspeople candidates happening within the last five or so.

As gogriff has stated, the treatment is reletively non-invasive, in that it involves removing blood from the subject and treating it to increase the anti-inflamatory properties within, and re-injecting it to the subject around the target area.

As AP6 states, the knee issue for Cooney is degenerative and his treatment is essentially a stop-gap measure to prolong his professional football career through minimising the pain he suffers whilst playing, hence increasing his ability to perform. At some stage, the treatment is going to become inneffective (this might be later in the current preseason, or in the twighlight of Cooney's career) and he will begin to feel the pain associated with inflamation of the injured joint.

As good as this treatment potentially could be for our football club and Adam's football career, it's not going to stop Adam Cooney's knee from degenerating throughout the rest of his life. He may be able to play good football for a number of years, but there's probably going to be a time when Adam has to decide he either can't travel for the treatment or afford it after his career is done with. Hopefully he can get the most out of himself to make it worthwhile, and hopefully that also comes with success for our football club, without taking too much of a toll on Adam's life after football.

AndrewP6
09-01-2013, 02:35 AM
I'm not sure he's at any greater risk than anyone else of his knee degenerating, but I'm not sure how well it has healed either.

He is, because of the damaged done to it thus far. It's knackered. The treatment may help, but it ain't gonna replace the cartilage.

Eastdog
09-01-2013, 02:40 AM
He is, because of the damaged done to it thus far. It's knackered. The treatment may help, but it ain't gonna replace the cartilage.

In other words its just a short term fix to his knee problem.

DragzLS1
09-01-2013, 02:28 PM
In other words its just a short term fix to his knee problem.

Short term fix which is better then the other short term fixes he has had so hopefully holds up for the next few seasons atleast. WOuld be happy to get another 3 years out of COoney and then let him hang up the boots before the knee takes its toll on his life after football

boydogs
09-01-2013, 06:20 PM

What's his diagnosis? I thought it was tendonitis?

AndrewP6
10-01-2013, 12:44 AM
What's his diagnosis? I thought it was tendonitis?

Here's an article where Coons himself speaks of it

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/adam-cooney-speaks-about-the-knee-that-has-dogged-him-sincw-2008/story-e6frexx0-1226095964548

w3design
12-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Fingers crossed for the guy. It would be great to see an Adam Cooney in full flight once more.

Dazza
14-01-2013, 08:35 PM
It's really great news that he's having a good pre season. But just looking at pictures of the guy you can see his legs are pretty undeveloped due to his injury compared to the rest of his body.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Training/2012/AFL%202012%20Training%20-%20Western%20Bulldogs%20281112/273089_gp.jpg

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Training/2012/AFL%202012%20Training%20-%20Western%20Bulldogs%20281112/273100_gp.jpg

I won't be placing too much expectation on him for the rest of his career. If he comes back to somewhere near his best it'd be great for him and the club though.

LostDoggy
14-01-2013, 11:45 PM
It's really great news that he's having a good pre season. But just looking at pictures of the guy you can see his legs are pretty undeveloped due to his injury compared to the rest of his body.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Training/2012/AFL%202012%20Training%20-%20Western%20Bulldogs%20281112/273089_gp.jpg

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Training/2012/AFL%202012%20Training%20-%20Western%20Bulldogs%20281112/273100_gp.jpg

I won't be placing too much expectation on him for the rest of his career. If he comes back to somewhere near his best it'd be great for him and the club though.

for your average joe with a cronic injury like this the treatment can last up to four years , with much relief from pain.
For an elite athlete they need treatment once a year to be able to have any hope of maintaining any kind of career. kobe bryant has had the same treatment and it has prolonged his career but he has to go back for yearly treatments.

boydogs
15-01-2013, 01:23 AM
But just looking at pictures of the guy you can see his legs are pretty undeveloped due to his injury compared to the rest of his body.

Gees, his legs are tiny. If the images weren't from the WB site, I would say they've been photoshopped.

jeemak
15-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Gees, his legs are tiny. If the images weren't from the WB site, I would say they've been photoshopped.

I'm a little bit shocked to see them so small, actually. He was never going to be Matty Boyd in that regard, but there's no tone or definition to make up for the lack of bulk in them.

His left leg looks a lot more developed than his right. Anyone know which knee it is that causes the issues? I thought it was his right, from what I've read to this point.

AndrewP6
15-01-2013, 02:11 AM
I'm a little bit shocked to see them so small, actually. He was never going to be Matty Boyd in that regard, but there's no tone or definition to make up for the lack of bulk in them.

His left leg looks a lot more developed than his right. Anyone know which knee it is that causes the issues? I thought it was his right, from what I've read to this point.

It's the right knee.

jeemak
15-01-2013, 02:16 AM
Fair enough.

He does look as if he's less bulky up top compared to the last couple of preseasons. Hopefully that helps his knee take the load a little better, and develop.

Cyberdoggie
15-01-2013, 02:15 PM
The fact that he's looking fairly lean/ripped up top means he's keeping the weight off and getting fit. Which means he's running more. Adam has looked a bit pudgy in previous pre-seasons when he's not doing the running as much.

I think Cooney has always had spindly legs, not a big deal really. Some people are large down there others aren't. Dermott Brereton was a classic example of someone with a large upper torso and stick legs, it's just his genetic makeup.

I would be very happy with the way Cooney is at the moment, so far it's looking like a minor miracle, the big question is how long will it last? because more than likely at some point this year the pain will start to catch up with him.

Go_Dogs
15-01-2013, 08:23 PM
I think Cooney has always had spindly legs, not a big deal really. Some people are large down there others aren't. Dermott Brereton was a classic example of someone with a large upper torso and stick legs, it's just his genetic makeup..

I agree, came in handy when he used to do his twinkle toes dance through the congestion of five opposition players after him.

The effect a fit Cooney has in lifting this team is massive, I think everyone walks a bit taller when he's up and about. Hopefully with the treatment and his program he can play a solid role for the course of the season.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-01-2013, 09:05 PM
I agree, came in handy when he used to do his twinkle toes dance through the congestion of five opposition players after him.

The effect a fit Cooney has in lifting this team is massive, I think everyone walks a bit taller when he's up and about. Hopefully with the treatment and his program he can play a solid role for the course of the season.
It's the Irish. Me too.

Mofra
18-01-2013, 01:12 PM
The effect a fit Cooney has in lifting this team is massive, I think everyone walks a bit taller when he's up and about.
Considering he's the only player on our list (aside from Griffin) that is worth tagging, his single addition could change the entire make up of our midfield group.

DragzLS1
18-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Considering he's the only player on our list (aside from Griffin) that is worth tagging, his single addition could change the entire make up of our midfield group.

Considering young Luke dahlhaus also get tagged along with griffen, then, you are absolutely spot on and all of a sudden oppositions will find it hard to get ontop of our mids. Boyd, cross, libbq and wallis feeding cooney, griffen and dahlhaus would be my choice! Along with Pickens dong the tagging. Cooney changes alot just by being 75% of his former self :)

LostDoggy
18-01-2013, 06:21 PM

Take the Carlton game 2011 for example. Changes everything.

jeemak
18-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Take the Carlton game 2011 for example. Changes everything.

We dished out a pasting to their midfield on that particular day, didn't we.

A midfield with an 80-90% fit Cooney, Boyd, Cross, Wallis, Griffen, Dahlhaus, Liberatore, Smith and Stevens all rotating seems much more competitive. It also seems balanced.

It's hard to quantify how much of a difference a single player can have to an area of the ground, though with Cooney potentially playing consistent football, the improvement from Liberatore, Dahlhaus, Smith and Wallis will be highlighted all the more.

LostDoggy
19-01-2013, 01:22 AM
We dished out a pasting to their midfield on that particular day, didn't we.

A midfield with an 80-90% fit Cooney, Boyd, Cross, Wallis, Griffen, Dahlhaus, Liberatore, Smith and Stevens all rotating seems much more competitive. It also seems balanced.

It's hard to quantify how much of a difference a single player can have to an area of the ground, though with Cooney potentially playing consistent football, the improvement from Liberatore, Dahlhaus, Smith and Wallis will be highlighted all the more.

Yes we sure did, that was the last time Cooney fired and we have almost forgotten how good he is.

With Cooney and Griffen taking the tags, gives guys like Wallis, Libba and Clay the chance to mature and run amok, and it flows downhill making everyone have an easier game, and with that brings more time and balance for delivery.

Griffen must be salivating at the thought of Cooney back taking the heavy tag from him.

Cooney, Griffen and Wallis in the middle. Boyd and Libba on the wings. The Smash brothers Clay and Koby smashing packs in the Forward line for Lukey D. Wow bring it on.
:D:D:D:D;):)

Eastdog
19-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Yes we sure did, that was the last time Cooney fired and we have almost forgotten how good he is.

With Cooney and Griffen taking the tags, gives guys like Wallis, Libba and Clay the chance to mature and run amok, and it flows downhill making everyone have an easier game, and with that brings more time and balance for delivery.

Griffen must be salivating at the thought of Cooney back taking the heavy tag from him.

Cooney, Griffen and Wallis in the middle. Boyd and Libba on the wings. The Smash brothers Clay and Koby smashing packs in the Forward line for Lukey D. Wow bring it on.
:D:D:D:D;):)

I don't think will be as bad as people have made us out to be. I'm sure we have a bit of quality to surprise some teams. We are definitely not the best but we are not the worst team either. We are in between the middle and worst I would say.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-01-2013, 01:33 AM
That Carlton game was awesome -- probably our best match since 2009.

Hypothetically if Cooney got back to his best, our midfield would be in the top echelon again. Cooney, Griffen and Dahlhaus are game breaking stars and Boyd, Wallis, Libba, Smith & co. are some of the best in and under types in the game.

Granted, some of those boys are young -- but it's a pretty mouth watering combo.

LostDoggy
19-01-2013, 01:55 AM
Loved belting the Blues that game. We were cruely robbed of having our two Guns at their best together, It ultimately cost us a Flag. Just having a second chance of seeing how good we can be gives me goosebumps.

Your correct TBB it would be in the Top Echelon again and what comes of that we will have to wait and see.

All going well I think our Rise will be Swift and much Stronger this time around. Plus Stringer will be ready by the time Jones is, Heres Hoping anyway.

bornadog
19-01-2013, 12:32 PM
That Carlton game was awesome -- probably our best match since 2009.

Hypothetically if Cooney got back to his best, our midfield would be in the top echelon again. Cooney, Griffen and Dahlhaus are game breaking stars and Boyd, Wallis, Libba, Smith & co. are some of the best in and under types in the game.

Granted, some of those boys are young -- but it's a pretty mouth watering combo.

How good was Cooney in 2008, especially against Essendon when he absolutely dominated the game, got three Brownlow votes. The Carlton game was a glimpse of what his top game is like.

A mate saw him at the child minding centre where both their kids go and said he looked in fantastic shape. Fingers crossed.